PDA

View Full Version : NEC 2017 Preseason Coaches' Poll

aceinthehole
July 20th, 2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.northeastconference.org/news/2017/7/19/football-keystone-state-contigent-tops-necfb-preseason-coaches-poll.aspx

1. DUQUESNE DUKES (8-3, 5-1)
Pegged for a first-place finish for the second year in a row, the Dukes return six all-league players from a team that won eight games, including a 5-1 mark against conference foes, in 2016. Although Dillon Buechel, the NEC’s all-time leading passer, has graduated, AJ Hines is back to lead a running game that ranked second in the conference last fall.

2. SAINT FRANCIS (7-5, 5-1)
Fresh off its first-ever NEC crown and subsequent FCS playoff appearance, the Red Flash earned the program’s highest-ever preseason ranking. All-American receiver Kamron Lewis may face his toughest competition in practice when he goes up against a battle-tested secondary that features Malik Duncan, Delondo Boyd and Jalen Wells.

3. WAGNER (6-5, 4-2)
The Seahawks’ stock is on the rise following a strong finish in 2016. Senior quarterback Alex Thomson has a pair of big-play weapons in receiver John Williams (21.1 yards per catch) and running back Denzel Knight (6.5 yards per carry).

4. CENTRAL CONNECTICUT (2-9, 1-5)
Entering his third season as the starter, quarterback Jacob Dolegala led the conference’s top-ranked pass offense last fall. Linebacker Randall Laguerre, the NEC’s leading tackler one year ago, and cornerback Jevon Elmore, a 2015 All-American, give the defense a solid foundation.

5. SACRED HEART (6-5, 1-5)
For the first time since 2012, the Pioneers will have a new starting quarterback as they take aim at a fifth consecutive winning season. Edge rusher Dylan Ackerson and linebacker Kevin Barry anchor a defensive unit that ranked first amongst NEC leaders vs. the run.

6. BRYANT (5-6, 4-2)
James Perry returns to the Ocean State for his first season as the Bulldogs’ head coach. The former Brown quarterback promises to bring a fast-paced playing style to Smithfield.

7. ROBERT MORRIS (2-9, 1-5)
A coaching staff featuring three NFL alumni will attempt to spark a revolution in Moon Township. Although its offense was decimated by injury last fall, RMU saw flashes of brilliance from its defense with promising young linebacker Gee Stanley tallying 8.5 sacks.

Original_RMC
July 21st, 2017, 09:03 AM
I was going to post some information this morning about the Coaches' Poll. Thanks for kicking this off. I'm not shocked by the poll but it will come down to the conference schedule.

5 out of 7 teams in the NEC could be starting new QBs this season. That is a lot of inexperience at a key position for these teams.

But back to the schedule and the first thing that jumps out at me is that Wagner starts their NEC journey early by traveling to SFU on September 9th. Both teams will be tested very early to start the 2017 season. Who will be starting at QB for SFU? Some say it could be true Fr. Jason Brown (6-3 225lbs). Wagner could have the best QB-WR duo in the NEC (I know CCSU will have a say in that this season).
Then in less than a month, Wagner must make another trip to PA and face the Dukes.
Same situation for the Dukes just like SFU, who will be at QB? AJ Hines will be a target for a lot of teams to slow down. But not only do the Dukes need to find a QB, they lost a lot at WR too.

If Wagner can come out of the early PA grind at least 1-1, they have a chance to claim the NEC title this season. If 0-2…ouch but 2-0…Wagner only remaining road NEC game would be at SHU. So we could know by mid-September if Wagner is in the hunt or not for the NEC title as their 3rd NEC game is at home vs. CCSU.

Speaking of CCSU, I think they could be the dark horse of the NEC this year. But what CCSU team will show up each week? There is a lot potential in place for this team. Can they put it together each week. And CCSU starts their NEC play early as well as they travel to SHU on September 30th.

Everyone will circle October 21st when SFU travels to play the Dukes. That game has decided the past two NEC champs representing the conference in the FCS playoffs. But even after that game, you still have a month of NEC play to go. SFU will be done with NEC play on November 11th. Wagner, CCSU and the Dukes all play on November 18th.
It could come down to the final week of NEC play to determine who goes off to the FCS playoffs.

RedFlash
July 21st, 2017, 12:36 PM
No real surprises in the preseason poll, although I think RMU will be better than they were last season and will finish at least 5th.

And I agree with O_RMC regarding his analysis of Wagner's chances. While they do have to play StFU and Duquesne on the road, getting StFU in week two could be a big advantage. StFU will be breaking in either a true freshman or a grad transfer who hasn't played in three years. While they'll get a warm up against D-2 Lock Haven, I'd prefer they get 3-4 games under their belts before having to get into conference play.

In light of this, I think the Wagner/Duquesne game is more likely going to decide things this season.