PDA

View Full Version : Top Games from 2016

NorthChuckSouth
July 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Sitting here the past couple nights watching the Top 25 games of 2016 (on ESPNU) had me wondering something.. what was your team's best game in 2016? Win or loss.

For me it would have to be the NDSU game.. first game of the season with a couple unknowns but a lot of hype. Knew we had talent and read on here that we would get beat pretty badly since it was the first time playing in the FargoDome. I still have nightmares of the ball barely drifting left.

dewey
July 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Win = #11 Iowa on a last second field goal. Absolutely awesome experience for my oldest son, wife, buddy and myself and a LOT of other Bison fans.

Loss = James Madison...enough said.

Dewey

cx500d
July 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Sitting here the past couple nights watching the Top 25 games of 2016 (on ESPNU) had me wondering something.. what was your team's best game in 2016? Win or loss.

For me it would have to be the NDSU game.. first game of the season with a couple unknowns but a lot of hype. Knew we had talent and read on here that we would get beat pretty badly since it was the first time playing in the FargoDome. I still have nightmares of the ball barely drifting left.

Take your pick, any of the 1st three last minute wins, although our defense plan for the ewu game sucked, so throw that one out although it made it exciting to watch.

JSUSoutherner
July 19th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Coastal was our closets game but we played like total garbage in that game so I wouldn't exactly call it a top game.

Not sure we had a 'top game'.

ElCid
July 19th, 2017, 10:24 PM
It's a close one between two games. Both were come from behind wins in OT.

Wofford - down 13-0 with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. Scored three times with the last one the infamous pitch 6 that one of our DBs pulled out of the air when Wofford QB tried to pitch it over his head when he blitzed into the backfield. It was a miracle play. Won in OT, 24-21 after kicking a FG and scooping up a Wofford fumble.

Samford - down 34-24 with 6:17 to go in the game. Went 72 yards in 5 plays to score. The drive was sparked by the miracle Cam Jackson run on a 3rd and 7 in which he bobbed, weaved and broke a bunch of tackles for 63 yards. Defense held when Samford got the ball back and my Bulldogs went down the field and kicked a 34 yard FG with 3 seconds to go to tie it up. Had to kick another in OT for 36 yards to go up 37-34. Held Samford to a 44 FG try and it bounced off the right upright.

Both were amazing games in an overall amazing season.

Both "big plays are in the highlight reel. The big run against Samford is at 1:14 and the pitch 6 against Wofford is at 2:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfFfvAf4qMA&list=PLPoYZbKwgY5hq0dpIA5tLNsWigkHcftqd&index=7

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Any of the ones we actually won....

GodHelpTheBears
July 19th, 2017, 10:36 PM
In true Missouri State fashion, our best game was a loss - to Western Illinois. To lose that one in the last minute...the game felt like a regime-defining moment either way, and the boulder trampled us on its way back to the bottom of the hill once more.

clenz
July 19th, 2017, 10:38 PM
None. They all sucked

GodHelpTheBears
July 19th, 2017, 10:39 PM
None. They all sucked

I want to live in a world where a 54 point win over a conference opponent sucks

ASU33
July 19th, 2017, 10:48 PM
2016 Magic City Classic(Alabama State v Alabama A&M)-over 70,000 fans in Birmingham in an absolutely amazing environment watched us get out to a quick 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter, and a 14-10 halftime lead all to lose the game in overtime 42-41.xsmhx

ST_Lawson
July 19th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Two 4th-down (and 3 or less yards) stops of Northern Illinois in the final 5 minutes of the game (both within our red zone) to beat our in-state former conference rivals 28-23 and go a perfect 3-0 OOC.
http://goleathernecks.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=5399

dudeitsaid
July 20th, 2017, 03:04 AM
Tough one...Probably the win against Washington State, as that really set the tone for the rest of the season. But, even though we lost against NDSU, I thought it was a tremendous game. One of the better ones I've seen. And, then, I loved the playoff game against Richmond. Seeing EWU dominate that way was very satisfying, especially pulling off the shut out, and seeing Ebukam taking the game over.

ex189
July 20th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I would say the Coastal Carolina game as the BUCS win in 2OT on a blocked PAT. The game started not very well for CSU with Coastal jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead with CSU taking a 23-21 lead at halftime. The lead changed hands 8 times in the 2nd half and OT.

BEAR
July 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I'd have to say the Arkansas State game. When their fans were predicting "letting off the gas in the third quarter and winning by 40+ points" ...it was good to beat them. I watched that game over and remembered their head coach said the Red Wuffs dominated the game physically...um..NO. Not even close. But whatever makes them feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tz1p-VOS2s

BEAR
July 20th, 2017, 07:23 AM
OR it could be this gem I found on youtube. Um...I don't know what to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxjZFJyjCI

Redbird 4th & short
July 20th, 2017, 07:41 AM
no brainer ... 9-7 win over Northwestern. outplayed them (25 to 16 1st downs, 377 yards to 279) but still down 7-6 in final 3 minutes. Kolbe drives us down field 11 plays 71 yards in position for 33 yd FG with just 3 secs left... hit the left post no less, as time expired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijR9chRW6Rw

McNeese72
July 20th, 2017, 08:25 AM
McNeese didn't have any top games last season.

Doc

Evolution Prime
July 20th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlDg6W57PmI

Loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjLmxi0Wx4

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 20th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Best game Lehigh 58-37 over Fordham. Even so, it was 51-14 at one point and the Lehigh defense had to give up a bunch of points. To be fair, Fordham played their worst game since 'Nova in '14 (??).

Worst Game, Playoffs UNH 64 Lehigh 21 - Enter as the favorite and end up getting destroyed because the defense got exposed again. Not having a healthy QB did not help. Game should have been a close shootout if nothing else.

DirtyDukes
July 20th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Probably the best actual game beginning to end was W&M - it wasn't over til the very end. My favorite was NDSU, with beating the Spatters a close second.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2017, 10:48 AM
NDSU 36-10 playoff win over SDSU, we bitch slapped them back the Brookings.

cx500d
July 20th, 2017, 12:02 PM

It wasn't very exciting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
July 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Hey that was my least favorite. Pretty sure I spent the second half with my head in my hands or doing the surrender cobra.

Guess what one was my favorite though?

wapiti
July 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Cat Griz.

https://youtu.be/07R1XE9eUAM
The griz knew we were going to run it and they could not stop us.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=07R1XE9eUAM

SFA 93
July 20th, 2017, 02:21 PM
SFA over #13 McNeese State 31-28 in Lake Charles was by far our biggest win of the season and there were not many.

Surprisingly SFA is 3-1 in the last 4 trips to Lake Charles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpv54V81lEw

POD Knows
July 20th, 2017, 03:32 PM
It wasn't very exciting though.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe thread is "top" games, it was a revenge game, it was a bitch slapping. I don't like close games, I like blow outs, lots and lots of blow outs.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Hey that was my least favorite. Pretty sure I spent the second half with my head in my hands or doing the surrender cobra.

Guess what one was my favorite though?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe brutal beating you put on Villanova? I will pay you for a picture of you, in the surrender cobra position, in full SDSU dress, we need a replacement for K State Kid, RIP.

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2017, 05:32 PM
The brutal beating you put on Villanova? I will pay you for a picture of you, in the surrender cobra position, in full SDSU dress, we need a replacement for K State Kid, RIP.

I'll be honest, I thought the photo of him in a Bison helmet was his best photo.

Thumper 76
July 20th, 2017, 06:08 PM
The brutal beating you put on Villanova? I will pay you for a picture of you, in the surrender cobra position, in full SDSU dress, we need a replacement for K State Kid, RIP.

I hope no such picture exists.

Ivytalk
July 20th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Win: OT at Princeton
Loss: Zombielike home loss to Yale to end a mediocre year

ytownchief22
July 20th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Obviously the Eastern Washington semi final game with... "The Catch"

cx500d
July 20th, 2017, 10:08 PM

Yeah, that was a good game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
July 20th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I hope no such picture exists.

You're welcome. :D

van
July 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM
Best game Lehigh 58-37 over Fordham. Even so, it was 51-14 at one point and the Lehigh defense had to give up a bunch of points. To be fair, Fordham played their worst game since 'Nova in '14 (??).

Worst Game, Playoffs UNH 64 Lehigh 21 - Enter as the favorite and end up getting destroyed because the defense got exposed again. Not having a healthy QB did not help. Game should have been a close shootout if nothing else.

have to disagree with Owl here, best game is always a win over the Easton Jr College, last year a blow out at 45-21

ysubigred
July 21st, 2017, 10:30 AM

This one? :D Becoming the defacto OVC champ was fun also xthumbsupx

https://spark.adobe.com/page/l2R4zjD1ku7Kr/images/463d34c3-a88c-4b0e-b7ac-a4fc30ba63f4.jpg?asset_id=0f1a7c8e-a1d5-4747-99f0-ae440176c1d3&img_etag=019038848637f8dca0dab5459cb5537e&size=2560

clenz
July 21st, 2017, 11:00 AM
I want to live in a world where a 54 point win over a conference opponent sucks
Here's the thing about why that game sucked - and is the epitome of the why the whole year sucked.

That was the first game we went from Aaron Bailey and the dipship "option" offense to a passing, slightly more power run ground game. Dunne comes in and goes 25-33 for 418 with 2 TD. It was also the UNI defense doing what the UNI defense does and dominating a game. It showed us exactly what this team *could have been.

MSU gets the ball to start the game - first play of the game is a UNI pick returned to the 2....and then UNI has to settle for a field goal because we didn't know how to run power last year and couldn't get 2 yards in 3 tries.

UNI then forces an MSU punt and follows that with a 6 play 71 yard driver where Eli Dunne went 3-3 for 61 yards.

Another MSU punt and aother UNI possession where UNI went 5 plays 61 yards with Dunne going 2-2 for 55 yards.

Next possession was 3-3 for 45 yards.

Sure, we can say it was just "one of those games" where everything snow balled. That's probably true to some extent.
Sure, we can say MSU's defense wasn't fantastic and it was a perfect opponent to run a brand new, never before seen offense out. That's also probably true to some extext.

What makes that game suck, though, is that we saw what we had been missing - even if that was a bit of an exaggeration of it.
We saw what a passing QB, with our freshman WRs could do.
We saw Dunne light up 2 spring games before last year. In those two games he was something like 45-60 for 450 yards and 5 TDS.
We heard Farley say, preseason, that Dunne is as gifted of as passer as UNI has ever had and has an NFL chance. He called him a ****ing NFL QB and then played Bailey.
We saw confirmation of everything the fans has speculated, seen in practices, heard about out of practices, etc...
We saw 100% undeniable proof at how badly Farley, and crew, had mangled our offense for the last 6 years.
There were some thinking it was just a product of a weakened OL and blah blah blah. Then we saw it.

Yet, we also saw just how bad our running game was.
We saw how unprepared our players were to try to do some power runs even when they got a chance.
We saw UNI average just 3.8 YPC in that MSU game, and 3.9 on the season (On the season MSU gave up 4.9 YPC)
We saw just how bad the run game was for a program that has always - even with guys like Pat Grace, Eric Sanders, Tom Petrie, Kurt Warner, etc.... - pride itself on the run game.
We saw a program that historically averages between 4.7-5.5 YPC drop to below 4.
We saw how even getting the passing game wasn't helping the run game.

In that game we saw a glimpse of what could be - which was fantastic. We also saw just how bad things in Cedar Falls really were/are.

That is why, despite finally getting to see Eli Dunne, despite the passing yards, despite the score, despite all of that, the game sucked

geaux_sioux
July 21st, 2017, 11:30 AM
Our comeback against NAU was incredible. Pick 6 for the conference title is tough to beat.

TheValleyRaider
July 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM
Sadly our closest games from 2016 were all Ls

38-31 at Richmond. Back and forth game. UR led 10-0, then Colgate came back to take the lead (including a blocked punt returned for a TD), before the Spiders tied it at the half, 17-17. Richmond stretched it out to a 38-17 edge in the 4th, but the Raiders got within a score with 3:30 to go. Had the ball late with a chance to tie, but a pick in the final minute sealed the deal.

39-38 vs Cornell. We led 31-12 at the half, and 38-19 with 5:00 to go in the 3rd quarter. Big Red TD with 30 seconds left completed the comeback. First loss to them since 2007, and first loss in Hamilton since 1992.

24-20 at Fordham. Led 20-10 at one point in the 3rd, Rams scored the go-ahead TD with 5:00 left. Got into Fordham territory on the last drive, but were stopped on 4th down.

This is depressing. How about the best game Colgate played overall: a 55-13 beatdown of Yale, most points we've ever scored against the Bulldogs. That's better :)