View Full Version : Big 10 cracks

July 19th, 2017, 05:28 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4299992-ndsu-athletic-director-says-big-ten-modifying-fcs-scheduling-philosophy

Sounds like they will have some limited FCS scheduling.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2017, 05:34 PM
And it only took them four years to get where I was the day they announced it.

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/02/b1gs-collossally-stupid-decision-to.html

GodHelpTheBears
July 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Thank God, your programs won't horn in on our Big 12 and SEC dates.

RootinFerDukes
July 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM
How long until they realize it was stupid to begin with and then just start scheduling them any year, any time?

cx500d
July 19th, 2017, 06:27 PM
How long until they realize it was stupid to begin with and then just start scheduling them any year, any time?

It depends if they win or not.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Probably four more years to let their bruised egos heal

Bisonoline
July 19th, 2017, 08:40 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4299992-ndsu-athletic-director-says-big-ten-modifying-fcs-scheduling-philosophy

Sounds like they will have some limited FCS scheduling.

Looks like Barry has some egg on his face.

DFW HOYA
July 19th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Old Nassau, get to it and buy out UMass for 2019!

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-rutgers-scarlet-knights-football-schedule.php

Laker
July 19th, 2017, 08:56 PM
The Gophers did have a rotation with NDSU, USD & SDSU. They didn't include UND as long as they had the Fighting Sioux nickname so they would be in the mix now. I would hope that they would have some matchups like they used to do.

dewey
July 19th, 2017, 09:20 PM
The Gophers did have a rotation with NDSU, USD & SDSU. They didn't include UND as long as they had the Fighting Sioux nickname so they would be in the mix now. I would hope that they would have some matchups like they used to do.

If the Gophers play those four on a rotating scheduling how many would the Gophers win?
I would say they would win 2 out of those 4 (lose to NDSU, SDSU perhaps beat GFCC and USeD).

Dewey

Bucs2016
July 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM
They see value in it now. Sure some FCS teams may beat them. NDSU, JMU, etc. Top 25 programs. But mostly these are fairly easy wins. For FCS the benefit is obvious. For FBS its a win, home game revenue and bowl eligibility.

But...they'll see 2 more major benefits SEC/ACC teams have used.

1. Player development. For teams like my SEC favorite South Carolina its crucial to get game reps for underclassmen to develop them. With a brutal SEC schedule that had no sure wins and OOC vs Clemson and usually a North Carolina FBS team...most USC games are close and underclassmen dont get the reps. So playing Wofford and Furman gets some time to put freshmen and sophomore players in to develop them.

2. Playing time for career backups and walk ons. Those guys who run the scout team or are there to boost GPAs haha. They put in the work. It may be their senior year Rudy moment where the parents and girlfriend get to see the kid actually play in a game. Its a great morale boost for the grinders who do the dirty work. It may be just one or two drives in the last minutes of a 30 point win over SC State or CSU. But its game day playing time!

Go...gate
July 20th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Hopefully Rutgers might get Lehigh or Lafayette on the schedule.

Redbird 4th & short
July 20th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Looks like Barry has some egg on his face.
this !!!

I would pay a fair amount of money to go back in time to be sitting next to Barry Alvarez during the 2012 UNI game in Madison against Top 10 Wisconsin, where UNI had ball with 5 minuts to go, down just 5. Unfortunately, they didn't finish drive .. but would have loved to see Barry squirming in his luxury box. I think this game cemented his plan to get all FCS games banned. UNI finished season 5-6, overall and lost 4 of their first 5 in conference. Wiscy went 7-5 regular season with several cloes losses to very good teams (3 in OT).

Somehow the SEC is able to have most teams schedule FCS games most years and still dominate FBS landscape. But Barry thinks FCS games make them uncompetitive ? Compared to what .. a similarly ranked G5 team with 3-9 record ??

Why doesn't Big 10 just let everyone schedule who they want, like everyone else in FBS. Let the pollsters deal with SOS concerns .. but there is little to no competitive difference between upper third of FCS and lower half of FBS. Man up Barry and Big 10 !!!!

ElCid
July 20th, 2017, 08:48 AM
this !!!

I would pay a fair amount of money to go back in time to be sitting next to Barry Alvarez during the 2012 UNI game in Madison against Top 10 Wisconsin, where UNI had ball with 5 minuts to go, down just 5. Unfortunately, they didn't finish drive .. but would have loved to see Barry squirming in his luxury box. I think this game cemented his plan to get all FCS games banned. UNI finished season 5-6, overall and lost 4 of their first 5 in conference. Wiscy went 7-5 regular season with several cloes losses to very good teams (3 in OT).

Somehow the SEC is able to have most teams schedule FCS games most years and still dominate FBS landscape. But Barry thinks FCS games make them uncompetitive ? Compared to what .. a similarly ranked G5 team with 3-9 record ??

Why doesn't Big 10 just let everyone schedule who they want, like everyone else in FBS. Let the pollsters deal with SOS concerns .. but there is little to no competitive difference between upper third of FCS and lower half of FBS. Man up Barry and Big 10 !!!!

Seriously. It did not hurt Clemson to play SC State last year. And it didn't hurt Alabama to play Chattanooga. I think everyone realizes that the only reason they did this was prevent the occasional loss to some MVFC team. Heaven forbid that any storied Big Ten team should lose to an FCS team. Oh wait it has happened.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Seriously. It did not hurt Clemson to play SC State last year. And it didn't hurt Alabama to play Chattanooga. I think everyone realizes that the only reason they did this was prevent the occasional loss to some MVFC team. Heaven forbid that any storied Big Ten team should lose to an FCS team. Oh wait it has happened.

Came damned close to losing against The Citadel too, as I'm sure you're well aware :)

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Hopefully Rutgers might get Lehigh or Lafayette on the schedule.

Aug. 31, 2019: Kickoff of the 150th anniversary of college football. Princeton at Rutgers, College Gameday, the works. This needs to happen, regardless of the score or the "it's too early" lament from the Ivies.

Otherwise, Princeton opens up the 150th season in week 3 with that most traditional of opponents...Butler.

ElCid
July 20th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Came damned close to losing against The Citadel too, as I'm sure you're well aware :)

Yeah, I remember that. Back in 07. That would have been sweet.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Aug. 31, 2019: Kickoff of the 150th anniversary of college football. Princeton at Rutgers, College Gameday, the works. This needs to happen, regardless of the score or the "it's too early" lament from the Ivies.

Otherwise, Princeton opens up the 150th season in week 3 with that most traditional of opponents...Butler.

Yes, that would be an unbelievable shame if it doesn't happen, Rutgers/Princeton. It appears like Princeton's powers-that-be though aren't interested.

You've got to believe the Big 10 is interested in a Rutgers/Princeton game. A relevant Rutgers game on Week 3, a time when there's nothing else going, and the Big 10 is in the center of a game celebrating the birth of college football?

Professor Chaos
July 20th, 2017, 11:28 AM
If the Gophers play those four on a rotating scheduling how many would the Gophers win?
I would say they would win 2 out of those 4 (lose to NDSU, SDSU perhaps beat GFCC and USeD).

Dewey
They "should" win all of them given the better facilities, more scholarships, and higher caliber of recruits they have (and the fact that they're all at home). They probably "would" only win 2 or 3 with NDSU and SDSU being the likeliest to knock them off but they "could" lose to any one of those 4.

BisonBacker
July 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Call me jaded but everyone getting all excited over yesterdays story regarding the bigX scheduling is taking the bait hook line and sinker. Fools gold at best. Don't expect Minnesota or Iowa to be open to scheduling any games. For that matter I'll be shocked if NDSU can get any decent bigX team on the schedule in the next 5-10 years. Guess it's fodder for those ok with staying FCS anyway. They can say hey we can schedule BigX teams again lol. Good luck with that. All the while Matt Larsen is smiling and thanking the Forum for running that story.

Go Green
July 20th, 2017, 01:00 PM

That would be a great basketball game.

Bisonoline
July 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM
this !!!

The big ten has always been ****ed up when it came to scheduling. WHY do they not just play everyone in the conference? When they only had ten teams they could have done that. Play 9 conference and 2 OOC games then one more OOC on the 12 game years. Made no sense to me to have teams not play everyone. I think they play 3-4 OOC now.

Herder
July 20th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Maybe B1G could start scheduling southern FCS teams, so it won't be so scary for them. The northern FCS teams could play the SEC teams to balance things out.

Go...gate
July 20th, 2017, 09:21 PM

I attended the 100th with my father at Rutgers Stadium. It was terrific.

Redbird 4th & short
July 21st, 2017, 08:53 AM
The big ten has always been ****ed up when it came to scheduling. WHY do they not just play everyone in the conference? When they only had ten teams they could have done that. Play 9 conference and 2 OOC games then one more OOC on the 12 game years. Made no sense to me to have teams not play everyone. I think they play 3-4 OOC now.
agreed, but expansion makes it tough .. I wish MVFC could do same and play all 9. I'm 50/50 on going to 12 games in FCS, given playoff structure .. but would other wise prefer 12 regular season games .. 9 conf + 3 nonconf. I don't like CAA and Big Sky for this reason .. too many teams lead to uneven scheduling .. much moreso than MVFC.

Go Green
July 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM
I attended the 100th with my father at Rutgers Stadium. It was terrific.

A fairly recent story about that game.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/10/remember_when_46_years_ago_abc_brought_its_top_ann .html

ElCid
July 21st, 2017, 09:29 AM
Maybe B1G could start scheduling southern FCS teams, so it won't be so scary for them. The northern FCS teams could play the SEC teams to balance things out.

Yeah that might work.xcrazyx Unless you were being sarcastic. Kind of like it wasn't scary for them in 2007. Oh wait, then FCS App St beat Michigan and The Citadel had Wisconsin on the ropes that year. Or if you like a more recent game, Furman (who finished 6th! in the SOCON) giving Mich St everything they could handle last year. Besides 4 or 5 big name teams, the Big 10 is a shadow of what it used to be. Their pitiful attempt to separate themselves from the pack by not scheduling FCS teams fell flat and appeared as nothing more than desperation.

Anthony215
July 21st, 2017, 09:47 AM
The Big 10 IMO needs the FCS games to maximize the chances of filling all of their bowl allotted spots. Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb and if it has to be Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers and or Northwestern every few years taking a loss to an FCS team then so be it. These games may not sell out but they still fill the stadiums at a 80-90% capacity as well as helps the coaches with developing younger players for later in the season when injuries happen and a freshman/sophomore has to take meaningful game reps against an Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan or Iowa.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 21st, 2017, 09:50 AM
The Big 10 IMO needs the FCS games to maximize the chances of filling all of their bowl allotted spots. Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb and if it has to be Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers and or Northwestern every few years taking a loss to an FCS team then so be it. These games may not sell out but they still fill the stadiums at a 80-90% capacity as well as helps the coaches with developing younger players for later in the season when injuries happen and a freshman/sophomore has to take meaningful game reps against an Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan or Iowa.

Hosting FCS games are cheaper (the FCS teams generally are local and are a bus trip, and don't have a return game) and serve the same purpose as a game vs. a low-end FBS game, which is probably coming from a team that has to fly in and doesn't bring many fans.

ElCid
July 21st, 2017, 09:54 AM

I think this is one of the best, overlooked, reasons, after the (expected) win for bowl game eligibility.

Yote 53
July 21st, 2017, 10:02 AM

Dewey

Hilarious take seeing as how NDSU and USD are the two schools to have notched wins against the Goofs already.

dewey
July 21st, 2017, 10:12 AM
Hilarious take seeing as how NDSU and USD are the two schools to have notched wins against the Goofs already.I would say right now that NDSU and SDSU are more likely to beat Minnesota. Do you think USD is better than NDSU or SDSU?

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RabidRabbit
July 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM
This season, U of MN would likely be challenged by ANY of the 4 Dakotas. Appears that 3 of the Dakotas will be top 10 FCS pre-season, and based on seeds last year, 3 of the top 8.

Top 10 FCS > bottom half of B1G. (Would love to see this put to test). Has NDSU lost to a MAC yet? IIRC, no, and they spanked the Western MAC champ last time played. Really surprised not more games between MAC and MVFC teams last 10 years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 21st, 2017, 11:50 AM
And people think the Power 5 are going to form their own separate NCAA organization. xlolx

Yote 53
July 21st, 2017, 12:51 PM
I would say right now that NDSU and SDSU are more likely to beat Minnesota. Do you think USD is better than NDSU or SDSU?

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think that right now USD is capable of beating both NDSU and SDSU. Will they finish with a better record? Don't know.

GodHelpTheBears
July 21st, 2017, 04:47 PM
I used to think those Big Ten wins you all get were impressive until our guys played Iowa.

Good God that part of the Big Ten is trash

Hammerhead
July 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM
They "should" win all of them given the better facilities, more scholarships, and higher caliber of recruits they have (and the fact that they're all at home). They probably "would" only win 2 or 3 with NDSU and SDSU being the likeliest to knock them off but they "could" lose to any one of those 4.

Even South Dakota beat the Gophers in 2010 and USD only had 4 wins all season :) http://www.goyotes.com/boxscore.aspx?path=&id=675

July 21st, 2017, 07:58 PM
I think that right now USD is capable of beating both NDSU and SDSU. Will they finish with a better record? Don't know.
And just what is it you smoke there in Vermillion????

cx500d
July 21st, 2017, 08:21 PM
And just what is it you smoke there in Vermillion????

Peace pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewey
July 21st, 2017, 09:02 PM
Has NDSU lost to a MAC yet? IIRC, no, and they spanked the Western MAC champ last time played. Really surprised not more games between MAC and MVFC teams last 10 years.

Simple amswer...no. Since NDSU moved to the FCS they have lost to 3 FBS teams.
2006 10-9 against Minnesota. Last second NDSU field goal was blocked.
2008 16-13 (?) Lost to Wyoming.
2009 34-17 (?) Lost to Iowa State.

NDSU is 9-3 against FBS teams and that could very well be 11-1. Could also have been worse.

The MAC teams don't want to at too many MVFC teams as IMHO the MVFC would win most of those teams.

Dewey

Herder
July 21st, 2017, 09:55 PM
Yeah that might work.xcrazyx Unless you were being sarcastic. Kind of like it wasn't scary for them in 2007. Oh wait, then FCS App St beat Michigan and The Citadel had Wisconsin on the ropes that year. Or if you like a more recent game, Furman (who finished 6th! in the SOCON) giving Mich St everything they could handle last year. Besides 4 or 5 big name teams, the Big 10 is a shadow of what it used to be. Their pitiful attempt to separate themselves from the pack by not scheduling FCS teams fell flat and appeared as nothing more than desperation.

Its now 2017, and the majority of FCS strength resides in on he north. Don't kid yourself. Besides 4-5 teams could apply to SEC too. B1G is doing just fine, again it's now 2017.

ST_Lawson
July 22nd, 2017, 08:24 AM
The MAC teams don't want to at too many MVFC teams as IMHO the MVFC would win most of those teams.

Dewey

Pretty much. We have a 4-1 record against NIU over the last 20 years. The one loss was about 10 years ago when they were borderline top 25 and we were absolute trash. I can also remember wins over Eastern Michigan and Ball State. I'd have to go dig around a bit to find the actual records and dates, but I'd bet in the last 20 years, we probably have won more than half our MAC match upset.

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Its now 2017, and the majority of FCS strength resides in on he north. Don't kid yourself. Besides 4-5 teams could apply to SEC too. B1G is doing just fine, again it's now 2017.

The current P5 pecking order imo. The only conference truly lagging is the B12. Bad enough that teams fed up with being pushed around by the bullies from Austin bailed, but in the conference is even weaker now that Baylor has imploded.

SEC, ACC, PAC, BIG, B12

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 08:58 AM
The current P5 pecking order imo. The only conference truly lagging is the B12. Bad enough that teams fed up with being pushed around by the bullies from Austin bailed, but in the conference is even weaker now that Baylor has imploded.

SEC, ACC, PAC, BIG, B12

Quite frankly Missouri was no loss to the B12.

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 09:43 AM
Quite frankly Missouri was no loss to the B12.

Even though Mizzou was the weakest of the losses, they are still stronger than most of the schools available to replace them.

Missouri added strength to basketball and academic prestige based on its membership in the AAU. Mizzou also added another state to the cable footprint. Cable companies pay more per subscriber in States within a conference footprint.

Cable companies pay over a dollar a month more to the SEC Network for every subscriber within their footprint. I don't know how many cable subscribers there are in Missouri but the potential revenue lost by the B12 should they ever develop a conference network and the revenue gained by the SEC amounts to a pretty significant loss of $$$ for the B12.

Redbird 4th & short
July 22nd, 2017, 09:46 AM
Only problem with Big 10 is the lower half seems to be slipping some - not sure what is up with Mich St lately. The upper half competes very well with rest of P5. If you look at Top 10, Top 20, Top 40 .. Big 10 is as strong as SEC, Pac 10, Big 12. The conference that has really just emerged is ACC .. 3-4 years ago they typically had 2 top 30 teams. This past year they had 9 top 30 teams according to Massey. Otherwise Big 10 upper half are just as strong as the other 3 P5s. I'm also a Lovie Smith fan and believe Illini will slowly move up in Big 10.

Redbird 4th & short
July 22nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
Only problem with Big 10 is the lower half seems to be slipping some - not sure what is up with Mich St lately. The upper half competes very well with rest of P5. If you look at Top 10, Top 20, Top 40 .. Big 10 is as strong as SEC, Pac 10, Big 12. The conference that has really just emerged is ACC .. 3-4 years ago they typically had 2 top 30 teams. This past year they had 9 top 30 teams according to Massey. Otherwise Big 10 upper half are just as strong as the other 3 P5s. I'm also a Lovie Smith fan and believe Illini will slowly move up in Big 10.

Meant to add .... sure seems like the gap between FCS Top 25 and FBS has closed considerably in last 5-10 years, across the board. NDSU has certainly raised the bar for FCS, but it seems like more and more teams are competing well in their FBS games, even if not winning. I think the 2-3 star HS kids are less willing to wait 3-4 years to get their shot at starting in FBS (assuming they stuck it out and stayed healthy) and are now opting for FCS where they can play much sooner. So while the upper half of FBS is dong just fine, the lower half has fallen off compared to FCS.

GodHelpTheBears
July 22nd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Even though Mizzou was the weakest of the losses, they are still stronger than most of the schools available to replace them.

Missouri added strength to basketball and academic prestige based on its membership in the AAU. Mizzou also added another state to the cable footprint. Cable companies pay more per subscriber in States within a conference footprint.

UM-C has a number of negatives to go with what you listed, and I'll avoid the ones that have been beaten around the past two years.

Donor support up there is very soft - roughly 10% of their alumni donate. The average SEC university is closer to 25%.
UM-C has added nothing in basketball to the SEC other than a doormat, although I admit this will change within the year.
They've rifled through presidents and ADs recently. Barry Odom, their football coach is about to begin his second season up there and the AD who hired him has already left.
Adding to this, university leadership has publicly stated they expect football success to drive an enrollment rebound. Other than Gary Pinkel, their all-time winningest football coach, they have not won in football to any significant degree since the 1960s.
The UM-C community has a bad and longstanding habit of overrating their academic prowess. Their new president pointed out that UM-C named schools like the University of Michigan and the University of Wisconsin as their "peer institutions", going on to say that none of the peers they named considered UM-C to be a peer. Schools like the University of Nebraska and the University of New Mexico consider themselves as peers to UM-C - not bad places by any stretch, but not among the world's best like Michigan and Wisconsin.
Missouri's current political leadership views UM-C as a direct antagonist. They are bludgeoning UM-C with cuts, forcing the school to fold degree programs and close research centers. This attitude likely would not change even if the school were still growing, as the political climate on campus is far outside the mainstream of a state tilting to the right.
UM-C finished last in the SEC in athletic department income in the last fiscal year. (Note: Vanderbilt did not report their figures. As a private university, they are not obligated to do so.)

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 10:12 AM

Top 10
3 ACC
2 SEC
2 PAC
2 BIG
1 B12

Top 20
ACC 6
SEC 5
BIG 4
PAC 3
B12 2

Top 40
ACC 9
SEC 9
BIG 7
PAC 6
B12 5
BIG 5

cx500d
July 22nd, 2017, 10:34 AM
UM-C has a number of negatives to go with what you listed, and I'll avoid the ones that have been beaten around the past two years.

Donor support up there is very soft - roughly 10% of their alumni donate. The average SEC university is closer to 25%.
UM-C has added nothing in basketball to the SEC other than a doormat, although I admit this will change within the year.
They've rifled through presidents and ADs recently. Barry Odom, their football coach is about to begin his second season up there and the AD who hired him has already left.
Adding to this, university leadership has publicly stated they expect football success to drive an enrollment rebound. Other than Gary Pinkel, their all-time winningest football coach, they have not won in football to any significant degree since the 1960s.
The UM-C community has a bad and longstanding habit of overrating their academic prowess. Their new president pointed out that UM-C named schools like the University of Michigan and the University of Wisconsin as their "peer institutions", going on to say that none of the peers they named considered UM-C to be a peer. Schools like the University of Nebraska and the University of New Mexico consider themselves as peers to UM-C - not bad places by any stretch, but not among the world's best like Michigan and Wisconsin.
Missouri's current political leadership views UM-C as a direct antagonist. They are bludgeoning UM-C with cuts, forcing the school to fold degree programs and close research centers. This attitude likely would not change even if the school were still growing, as the political climate on campus is far outside the mainstream of a state tilting to the right.
UM-C finished last in the SEC in athletic department income in the last fiscal year. (Note: Vanderbilt did not report their figures. As a private university, they are not obligated to do so.)

Is it any wonder with stuff like this going on there?

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/03/13/special-snowflakes-at-mizzou-drive-enrollment-down-by-25/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXz4itM39pE

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 10:56 AM

Can't disagree with your arguments, other than possibly academic rank. Most institutions list both current and aspirational peers. I'm not sure whether Michigan or Wisconsin were listed as current or aspirational peers but i would agree that UM-C is not on par with either currently. That's not to say the UM-C is a poor academic institution though. AAU membership is tough to come by, and places Mizzou well ahead of schools such as New Mexico. Nebraska lost its membership when the amount of money generated from research grants took a nose dive.

I'm pretty sure the SEC will take the dollar a month for every cable subscriber in the state as a win. They didn't really need another football power, they needed a decent school that added to their footprint to go along with TAMU, which was the real jewel the SEC wanted--cable revenue , good to outstanding athletics, entre to recruiting the state of Texas....

GodHelpTheBears
July 22nd, 2017, 11:42 AM
Can't disagree with your arguments, other than possibly academic rank. Most institutions list both current and aspirational peers. I'm not sure whether Michigan or Wisconsin were listed as current or aspirational peers but i would agree that UM-C is not on par with either currently. That's not to say the UM-C is a poor academic institution though. AAU membership is tough to come by, and places Mizzou well ahead of schools such as New Mexico. Nebraska lost its membership when the amount of money generated from research grants took a nose dive.

I'm pretty sure the SEC will take the dollar a month for every cable subscriber in the state as a win. They didn't really need another football power, they needed a decent school that added to their footprint to go along with TAMU, which was the real jewel the SEC wanted--cable revenue , good to outstanding athletics, entre to recruiting the state of Texas....

From the article I read, UM-C doesn't make a distinction, although I admit the press isn't completely trustworthy these days...

Many people forget that the SEC tossed UM-C a big lifeline. UM-C was working with KU, KSU and Iowa State on Big East membership before the SEC stepped in. As sports viewing habits change, I question whether these jumbo conferences will hold together, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

Catatonic
July 22nd, 2017, 12:43 PM
From the article I read, UM-C doesn't make a distinction, although I admit the press isn't completely trustworthy these days...

Many people forget that the SEC tossed UM-C a big lifeline. UM-C was working with KU, KSU and Iowa State on Big East membership before the SEC stepped in. As sports viewing habits change, I question whether these jumbo conferences will hold together, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

I think the next big thing for sports conferences will be for conference networks to untether themselves from cable company packages and become available to individual subscribers via streaming or other means. You are right though, that's a conversation for another thread.

Redbird 4th & short
July 22nd, 2017, 05:58 PM
Top 10
3 ACC
2 SEC
2 PAC
2 BIG
1 B12

Top 20
ACC 6
SEC 5
BIG 4
PAC 3
B12 2

Top 40
ACC 9
SEC 9
BIG 7
PAC 6
B12 5
BIG 5
is this Massey ?

Catatonic
July 23rd, 2017, 04:10 AM
is this Massey ?

Yes. 2017 preseason.

Iridebikes
July 24th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Its bothered me that the BIG-10 took this position. The FCS/FBS games provide a platform for rivalries between the kids. An example would be EWU and WAZZU. The teams are located within 75 miles of one another and recruit the same kids. Kids that have been competing with and against one another for quite a few years. Same goes for the fan base. My take away from the BIG-10 was that "if you can't beat them then don't play them".

walliver
July 25th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Playing FCS teams doesn't really effect a team's chances to make the CFP any more than playing a weak G5. In fact, from 2008 to the present, only one team has won the FBS "championship" without playing an FCS team.

The key to scheduling is to play a team you expect to beat. Upsets can still happen, but they should be rare. Even in FCS-D2 games, most schools know not to schedule North Alabama of Valdosta State.

dewey
July 28th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Here is an article from the Daily Gopher about Minnesota starting to play FCS opponents again.

"One school who is thrilled with this decision? Yep you guessed it. Our nemesis to the north.

The best part for us is with the Big Ten, it's the most geographical favorable footprint and they are the teams we would most prefer to play,” NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen said. There are a lot of Land Grant institutions and it gives our fan base more ability to travel."

JUST SAY NO!!!"

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/7/26/16030930/minnesota-football-gophers-will-fcs-opponents-return-to-tcf-bank-stadium-south-dakota-state-ndsu

Here is an article from SB Nation about the same topic. They point out how Penn State lost to Pitt while Washington beat Portland State and soon to be FCS Idaho as a sign that had Penn State scheduled am FCS perhaps the Nittany Lions would have been in the college football playoff.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/24/16020112/big-ten-fcs-opponents-football-scheduling

"Signing up to play an FCS team isn’t much different than scheduling someone in the basement of the Group of 5 conferences."

I also like this one.

"Any FBS teams that chooses to schedule NDSU is signing its own death warrant, because the Bison always win. But if a Big Ten team wants to play them, it now can."

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/e5792ed18c54e4698c06f684c2581c28.jpg

Dewey

TheKingpin28
July 28th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Here is an article from the Daily Gopher about Minnesota starting to play FCS opponents again.

"One school who is thrilled with this decision? Yep you guessed it. Our nemesis to the north.

The best part for us is with the Big Ten, it's the most geographical favorable footprint and they are the teams we would most prefer to play,” NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen said. There are a lot of Land Grant institutions and it gives our fan base more ability to travel."

JUST SAY NO!!!"

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/7/26/16030930/minnesota-football-gophers-will-fcs-opponents-return-to-tcf-bank-stadium-south-dakota-state-ndsu

Here is an article from SB Nation about the same topic. They point out how Penn State lost to Pitt while Washington beat Portland State and soon to be FCS Idaho as a sign that had Penn State scheduled am FCS perhaps the Nittany Lions would have been in the college football playoff.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/7/24/16020112/big-ten-fcs-opponents-football-scheduling

"Signing up to play an FCS team isn’t much different than scheduling someone in the basement of the Group of 5 conferences."

I also like this one.

"Any FBS teams that chooses to schedule NDSU is signing its own death warrant, because the Bison always win. But if a Big Ten team wants to play them, it now can."

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/e5792ed18c54e4698c06f684c2581c28.jpg

Dewey

Gophers fans have always been and will always be pansies and delusional about where they stand.

My dream would be for the two schools to put a game at US Bank and make them split the allotment close to even. This is a game I would go to in heartbeat but I doubt Fleck schedules NDSU anytime soon.

Redbird 4th & short
July 28th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Yes. 2017 preseason.

thanks for posting the data. Kind of amazing how fast the ACC emerged as deepest conference. If you looked at same data in 2013, they were only 2 ACC teams in top 30. In 2014, it jumped to 4 teams. And in 2016, they finished with 9 in top 30.

And as you would expect, objective polls like Massey and Sagarin catch up to these emerging teams/conferences much quicker than the subjective polls. Same thing happened to MVFC as it emerged in 2010-11. Thanks to some help from the Dakotas .. but all ships tend to rise as you compete.