PDA

View Full Version : Heat Related injuries

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Second half cramping is the norm in the first few games of the year, how do you think the elimination of two a days will impact that? They have eliminated doubles, but won't coaches just extend the single practice? Will kids be acclimated to the heat on game day? Just thinking this thing through. Sometimes it seems good in theory.....

Bisonator
July 19th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Salt consumption my man. Make them drink the chicken soup. Don't take my word for it, take Brock Jensens!:D

Seriously though our S&C coach has perfected this ****.

BEAR
July 19th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Yeah, and players have to start drinking water the night before. Tons of it. Can't start doing it during the game. Too late then.

Daytripper
July 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Pickle juice.

Go Green
July 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Granted, I'm in my mid-40s, but I keep myself in good shape.

I played basketball outside in the late morning in Miami last week. I've never come so close to passing out from exercise in my life. And I've played in some serious heat/humidity.

I don't know how players get through August in today's weather....

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Went through two a days in South Georgia (anyone griping about summer heat can kiss my fanny) as a high school player. We were a team that had to be in peak physical condition (would run wind sprints three times a practice). Most of us played iron man.

Even with two a days in the hottest part of the day, in the hottest part of the year, in the hottest part of the country, you would still cramp up, especially in the early part of the season.

Panther88
July 19th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Granted, I'm in my mid-40s, but I keep myself in good shape.

I played basketball outside in the late morning in Miami last week. I've never come so close to passing out from exercise in my life. And I've played in some serious heat/humidity.

I don't know how players get through August in today's weather....

You have to hydrate hydrate hydrate. If they (you) aren't pissing regularly, 10 x out of 10...

cx500d
July 19th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Pickle juice.

Thread Drift:

Has anyone tried the pickle brand called "Wickles" ? Those things are awesome!

Nickels
July 19th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Salt consumption my man. Make them drink the chicken soup. Don't take my word for it, take Brock Jensens!:D

Seriously though our S&C coach has perfected this ****.
Did yall learn that in 2010? Because in 2009 the heat didn't treat the Bison so well. :D

cx500d
July 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Did yall learn that in 2010? Because in 2009 the heat didn't treat the Bison so well. :D

They sucked in 2009....Worst year since the 50's or maybe early 60's. Course Sammy wasn't so hot in 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014....

Nickels
July 19th, 2017, 07:28 PM
They sucked in 2009....Worst year since the 50's or maybe early 60's. Course Sammy wasn't so hot in 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014....
Who knew bringing up silly memory of a few players vomiting in the late summer Texas heat would bring such hostility?

This site is too miserable to even enjoy a little banter. Godspeed AGS. Nickels out.

cx500d
July 19th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Who knew bringing up silly memory of a few players vomiting in the late summer Texas heat would bring such hostility?

This site is too miserable to even enjoy a little banter. Godspeed AGS. Nickels out.

Hostility, its amusement. You bring up the one year when we sucked. You didn't mention every other time we played you which were all NDSU wins, including the one when we we transitioning from Division 2 and you had your hotshot Oklahoma QB transfer Rhett Butler or Bomar, whatever his name was.

NorthChuckSouth
July 19th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Second half cramping is the norm in the first few games of the year, how do you think the elimination of two a days will impact that? They have eliminated doubles, but won't coaches just extend the single practice? Will kids be acclimated to the heat on game day? Just thinking this thing through. Sometimes it seems good in theory.....

There's a difference in practice heat and game heat.. it's a crazy idea I know. Can't duplicate the adrenaline running pregame and first half. Takes a game or two to get back in the swing of pregame routines and pace of the game.

Bisonoline
July 19th, 2017, 09:44 PM

Really? I never saw it when I played. We had a few in two a days but not during the season.

BisonFan02
July 19th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Salted Gatorade, rice krispie treats, and bananas.

PAllen
July 19th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Pickle juice.

This. Used to always save the jar after the last pickle. Always had at least two in the fridge when I was officiating and training for my marathon. Everyone thought I was nuts, but it was the best recovery drink there is. Come in from a series of games, or run in the heat. Been pounding water, but pound some more. Then grab the jar out of the fridge and start drinking. It tasted great at first. Once it tasted bad, I knew I had enough salt back in me and I could stop.

Milktruck74
July 21st, 2017, 07:21 AM
Really? I never saw it when I played. We had a few in two a days but not during the season.

Shouldn't be the Norm...but it is today's reality.

Milktruck74
July 21st, 2017, 07:27 AM
This. Used to always save the jar after the last pickle. Always had at least two in the fridge when I was officiating and training for my marathon. Everyone thought I was nuts, but it was the best recovery drink there is. Come in from a series of games, or run in the heat. Been pounding water, but pound some more. Then grab the jar out of the fridge and start drinking. It tasted great at first. Once it tasted bad, I knew I had enough salt back in me and I could stop.

I use to buy Pickle juice shot at Academy for $1.99, then I realized it was the same thing as what was in the regular Jar. So now I buy the Jar of Pickles for $1.99 at Kroger, eat the pickles and fill two 5 hour energy bottles. They have saved my race in a 100k and a 100 miler....and I carried them on an Ironman and saved two other peoples race!!!! Pickle Juice works like a dream...90 second cramp relief. Of course my roommate from college says a Demorol push works much faster....HE went into a full body lock, they pushed the juice in him and instantly goes limp and started singing Tammy Wynette and called the butt-ugly trainer, "My future lover".