PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Preseason Poll Discussion...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Here is where we left off last vote of 2016. Where do we start and who loses some traction? Who is gonna make some noise and grab an early FBS win or big FCS win and make an early jump into the Top 25?

AGS POLL FINAL RESULTS 01/09/2017

1 James Madison Dukes
2 North Dakota State Bison
3 Youngstown State Penguins
4 Eastern Washington Eagles
5 South Dakota State Jackrabbits
6 Wofford Terriers
7 Richmond Spiders
8 Sam Houston State Bearkats
9 Jacksonville State Gamecocks
10 The Citadel Bulldogs
11 Villanova Wildcats
12 Chattanooga Mocs
13 North Dakota Fighting Hawks
14 Central Arkansas Bears
15 New Hampshire Wildcats
16 Charleston Southern Buccaneers
17 Samford Bulldogs
18 San Diego Toreros
19 Illinois State Redbirds
20 Lehigh Mountain Hawks
21 Grambling State Tigers
22 Cal Poly Mustangs
23 Weber State Wildcats
24 North Carolina A&T Aggies
25 North Carolina Central Eagles

26 Albany Great Danes
27 Saint Francis Red Flash
28 Princeton Tigers
29 Fordham Rams
30 Western Illinois Leathernecks
31 Maine Black Bears
32 Eastern Illinois Panthers
33 South Carolina State Bulldogs
34 Northern Iowa Panthers
35 Jackson State Tigers
36 Pennsylvania Quakers
37 Southeastern Louisiana Lions
38 Southern Utah Thunderbirds
39 Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
40 Harvard Crimson

Daytripper
July 17th, 2017, 04:57 PM
JMU should be #1.

Central Arkansas should begin the season in the Top 10.

Professor Chaos
July 17th, 2017, 05:27 PM
In the MVFC I expect NDSU, SDSU, and Illinois St to all have good seasons and be ranked fairly high throughout the year. Oddly enough, none of those 3 have an FBS team on the schedule this year.

IMO South Dakota is a team to keep an eye on. I expect UNI to stay down and YSU to be down this year compared to last so there'll be a spot in the top half of the conference (with a likely playoff spot) up for grabs. They have a winnable FBS game at Bowling Green and a big OOC home game against UND early in the season so we'll find out right away whether they're ready for that next step.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2017, 05:27 PM
JMU should be #1.

What's the reason behind the statement? Who needs to drop out for them to be placed higher you think?

Not saying this poll should look like last years just looking for a starting point and some reasoning to the moves etc.

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 05:33 PM
JMU should be #1.

I agree with JMU, but you are smoking crack on UCA...

JSUSoutherner
July 17th, 2017, 05:33 PM
I agree with JMU, but you are smoking crack on UCA...
+1

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 05:34 PM
What's the reason behind the statement? Who needs to drop out for them to be placed higher you think?

Not saying this poll should look like last years just looking for a starting point and some reasoning to the moves etc.

His reason for UCA is to make it seem like southland is a strong conference.

BEAR
July 17th, 2017, 05:41 PM
JMU should be #1.

Eh who cares. Top 12 would be good. IMO. But it doesn't matter preseason. May not matter after playing Kansas State. Perception is everything.

BEAR
July 17th, 2017, 05:48 PM
His reason for UCA is to make it seem like southland is a strong conference.

I think we did pretty good in the playoffs against OOC foes. EWU had a heck of a team and we had to go there. Plus I think our team is better this year from what I can see. I'd start us around the top 12. If SHSU and UCA don't make the playoffs again I'd be surprised. The SLC is an average conference but the reps in the playoffs have done good recently. It's a matter of time before 3 teams make it most years.

Redbird 4th & short
July 17th, 2017, 06:16 PM
In the MVFC I expect NDSU, SDSU, and Illinois St to all have good seasons and be ranked fairly high throughout the year. Oddly enough, none of those 3 have an FBS team on the schedule this year.

IMO South Dakota is a team to keep an eye on. I expect UNI to stay down and YSU to be down this year compared to last so there'll be a spot in the top half of the conference (with a likely playoff spot) up for grabs. They have a winnable FBS game at Bowling Green and a big OOC home game against UND early in the season so we'll find out right away whether they're ready for that next step.
Generally agree with your comments.

Though I think UND was over-rated .. weak SOS with very favorable home/away slate .. never played EWU, got "tougher" teams all at home, and weaker teams all on road. Their best win according to Massey was 3 pt double OT win at home over 4-7 South Dakota. They had several very weak wins over lower half Big Sky teams. IN 2017, that home/away favorable schedule flips and they have to play EWU .. 9-2 could easily become 6-5 even if they are just as good as last season.

Last years 21-25 ranked team are mostly participation awards by virtue of conferences voting for their own and ignoring very weak SOS. I would move up teams like WIU, Maine, and Albany. Move down teams like Weber St, Grambling, the 2 NC's ... as a starting point anyway.

As for very few MVFC FBS games suddenly this season ???? We can all thank Wisc AD Barry Alvarez who has been vocally lobbying entire Big 10 against scheduling any FCS games, and won .. so FCS will be officially outlawed in next next year or 2 in Big 10 some stopped early. His argument ??? It makes Big 10 uncompetitive .. except for fact that all other P5 conferences encourage it including the SEC ... most P5 teams schedule an FCS game almost every year. Except for Big 10 go forward.

So Spack's Big 10 connections no longer help us get games. We're hoping Big 12 opens up to MVFC.

jmufan999
July 17th, 2017, 06:51 PM
i honestly don't know enough about a lot of the teams, but based on history i would say that UNH and Harvard will end up higher than where they are. not arguing the poll as they currently stand.

*Harvard had its worst year since 2010 last year, and they were 7-3. think about that. i'm not getting into the whole Ivy/playoff discussion. i'm just saying the odds of them ending up outside the top 25 again this year are very low. they'll finish in the top 20 at least.

*UNH always makes the playoffs and usually has at least 8 wins. at least it seems that way. could easily see them ending up in the top 10.

i like Maine but the QB situation is up in the air. i don't want to hear about transfers at sport's most important position. maybe he'll be great but i don't think a lot of Maine fans appreciated what they had last year. the guy was 3rd team All-CAA (behind Schor and Lauletta, two of the best QBs in the country), so the new guy had better be an improvement.

GodHelpTheBears
July 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM

Though I think UND was over-rated .. weak SOS with very favorable home/away slate .. never played EWU, got "tougher" teams all at home, and weaker teams all on road. Their best win according to Massey was 3 pt double OT win at home over 4-7 South Dakota. They had several very weak wins over lower half Big Sky teams. IN 2017, that home/away favorable schedule flips and they have to play EWU .. 9-2 could easily become 6-5 even if they are just as good as last season.

Last years 21-25 ranked team are mostly participation awards by virtue of conferences voting for their own and ignoring very weak SOS. I would move up teams like WIU, Maine, and Albany. Move down teams like Weber St, Grambling, the 2 NC's ... as a starting point anyway.

As for very few MVFC FBS games suddenly this season ???? We can all thank Wisc AD Barry Alvarez who has been vocally lobbying entire Big 10 against scheduling any FCS games, and won .. so FCS will be officially outlawed in next next year or 2 in Big 10 some stopped early. His argument ??? It makes Big 10 uncompetitive .. except for fact that all other P5 conferences encourage it including the SEC ... most P5 teams schedule an FCS game almost every year. Except for Big 10 go forward.

So Spack's Big 10 connections no longer help us get games. We're hoping Big 12 opens up to MVFC.

We must have the program least affected by the Big 10's policy change. The only Big 10 opponent I can remember MSU playing is Iowa. The only trouble we've had in Big 12 scheduling is with those YELLOW Raiders of Texas Tech - we've had plenty of games against various Big 12 teams over the years.

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 07:11 PM
i honestly don't know enough about a lot of the teams, but based on history i would say that UNH and Harvard will end up higher than where they are. not arguing the poll as they currently stand.

*Harvard had its worst year since 2010 last year, and they were 7-3. think about that. i'm not getting into the whole Ivy/playoff discussion. i'm just saying the odds of them ending up outside the top 25 again this year are very low. they'll finish in the top 20 at least.

*UNH always makes the playoffs and usually has at least 8 wins. at least it seems that way. could easily see them ending up in the top 10.

i like Maine but the QB situation is up in the air. i don't want to hear about transfers at sport's most important position. maybe he'll be great but i don't think a lot of Maine fans appreciated what they had last year. the guy was 3rd team All-CAA (behind Schor and Lauletta, two of the best QBs in the country), so the new guy had better be an improvement.

Throw Harvard out of the ranking...They claim to be in the FCS, but they lack the C part so no one knows. They also won't play a contending team.

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 07:14 PM
We must have the program least affected by the Big 10's policy change. The only Big 10 opponent I can remember MSU playing is Iowa. The only trouble we've had in Big 12 scheduling is with those YELLOW Raiders of Texas Tech - we've had plenty of games against various Big 12 teams over the years.

SDSU played TCU, and UND played Texas Tech a few years ago. Of course I think Tech is going to lose to EWU this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Here is Keeper's ratings for losses (starters) etc. for 2017 vs. last season.

http://www.keepratings.net/#

van
July 17th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Lehigh at 20 seems about right to start the year, team should be at least as good as last year with "potential" to be better if D continues to improve, Nova game should tell a lot

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 17th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Lehigh at 20 seems about right to start the year, team should be at least as good as last year with "potential" to be better if D continues to improve, Nova game should tell a lot

I think anywhere from 15-20 is fair for Lehigh to start the year. They have big time talent on offense. There's no disputing that. If the defense can simply be "pretty good" the ceiling is very high. As it is, I think the fact the unit was terrible in '14 and '15 and merely "meh" last year is reason for skepticism. Until they finally perform week in and week out we're merely hoping at this point. With that said, the pieces are there to be a good unit imo. They've added some much needed size along the front 7 with scholarships. The D coaching has let the defense down some imo. Hopefully with some new ideas and little shakeup in the staff the results will be better.

Fordham should be in the 20-25 range. They return basically everyone from an 8-3 team that just missed out on the playoffs. They have the best player in FCS and an experienced QB. Like Lehigh their defense will define the season. There's Top 10 potential if it can improve drastically. What concerns me is the unit was as bad as Lehigh's D in 2015. A modest improvement (like Lehigh saw last year) is not going to cut it if they intend on beating EWU and/or make noise in the playoffs.

F'N Hawks
July 17th, 2017, 08:54 PM

Thank you for your honesty.

POD Knows
July 17th, 2017, 09:26 PM
JMU should be #1.

Central Arkansas should begin the season in the Top 10.Yep, and nope to the second point.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 17th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Throw Harvard out of the ranking...They claim to be in the FCS, but they lack the C part so no one knows. They also won't play a contending team.

Penn should be the favorite in the Ivy League. The Quakers have stepped out of the Ivy League/PL and beat 'Nova and W&M(?? damn cfbdatawarehouse) recently. Harvard, while talented, plays a terrible OOC schedule. I get why people knock the Crimson but when they're beating everyone by 4+ TD's they should be ranked. Every 5-6 years they seem to have a juggernaut. Penn has that capability too.

The good IL teams are legitimately FCS good. I know some on here disregard them but they can play on a national level in FCS. They've beaten Cal Poly, UNH, 'Nova, W&M (?? lol), Towson and FBS Army recently. The IL recruits as a high level. They "steal" a bunch of FBS recruits each year because of the academics. The issue is usually depth and so so coaching in the league imo.

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Penn should be the favorite in the Ivy League. The Quakers have stepped out of the Ivy League/PL and beat 'Nova and W&M(?? damn cfbdatawarehouse) recently. Harvard, while talented, plays a terrible OOC schedule. I get why people knock the Crimson but when they're beating everyone by 4+ TD's they should be ranked. Every 5-6 years they seem to have a juggernaut. Penn has that capability too.

The good IL teams are legitimately FCS good. I know some on here disregard them but they can play on a national level in FCS. They've beaten Cal Poly, UNH, 'Nova, W&M (?? lol), Towson and FBS Army recently. The IL recruits as a high level. They "steal" a bunch of FBS recruits each year because of the academics. The issue is usually depth and so so coaching in the league imo.

I agree they get good athletes. Until they live up to the C part in the division they supposedly compete in, they are dead to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator
July 18th, 2017, 09:40 AM

Sam Houston State:D

Daytripper
July 18th, 2017, 10:07 AM

They get their entire o-line back and they have been trending upward since hiring Campbell. I just think they break through this season.

RootinFerDukes
July 18th, 2017, 10:43 AM
dang, what does that say about JMU's RB depth that we lost our leading rusher, khalid abdullah, but he was still only 45% of our total rushing offense last season.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2017, 12:56 PM
They get their entire o-line back and they have been trending upward since hiring Campbell. I just think they break through this season.

Any time a team gets a decent Oline that is a damn good indication of success the next year.

Nickels
July 18th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Any time a team gets a decent Oline that is a damn good indication of success the next year.
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU

Daytripper
July 18th, 2017, 01:20 PM
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU

That looks about right.

Bucs2016
July 18th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Ill say my team should drop from 16th to around 25th. We return a lot of talent but almost every coach is new. With so much change there probably will be an adjustment.

Redbird 4th & short
July 18th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Can you put in a good word for my redbirds with Big 12 ?? We are desparate for a P5 FBS game. We did line up Colorado St from Mountain West in 2018, but would love some P5 experience and $$$

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2017, 01:37 PM
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU

Yeah, two of those teams can't move up much but I will show a lot of respect to the other two in my ranking due to this position group.

JSUSoutherner
July 18th, 2017, 01:40 PM
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU
????

BEAR
July 18th, 2017, 01:53 PM
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU

UCA returns SENIORS:

5 OL
Michah Parten: 6'2" 308
Gilberto Garcia: 6'2" 305- Preseason All conference second team.
Conner Wood: 6'6" 295
Stockton Mallett: 6'3" 307- Preseason All-conference first team.
Cade Camp: 6'4" 306

QB- Hayden Hildebrand: Threw for over 3000 yards last year in an offense that ran the ball nearly 65% of the time. Not bad. - Second team preseason all conference. (Behind Briscoe)

RB- Jarvis Cooper- Transfer from Memphis last year. Big guy.6'1" 241. His backup is Carlos Blackman.

TE- Chandler Dexter: 6'6" 257. Blocking TE but goes out for an occasional pass. Big guy.

WRs- Brandon Cox (Ark. State transfer- Jatavious Wilson double), Roman Gordon and Jose Moore.

Bear fans are super excited to see what these seniors can do. Can't wait for the season to start! xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

????

I was going to do that. Is this a ranking? or a comparable..

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2017, 01:56 PM
????

I assumed he was saying those were four teams that had that group coming back in common.

Redbird 4th & short
July 18th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Thank you for your honesty.

sorry dude .. but I just think after couple strong years, the Big Sky took a step backwards last season, some perennials slipped, and then had several over-rated teams. I have no idea why Weber St was even a bubble team .. much less got an at large bid. Cal Poly started strong, but seemed to fade. I do think UND was clearly a top 20 and a playoff caliber team without doubt .. but I couldn't understand how you got top 8 seed. Then again, I tend to rely a lot on ranking systems like Massey and Sagarin ... objective to say least, but formula driven ranking has its flaws too.

Anyway, I note you guys have most of your offense back, but took some hits on defense. You'll have a chance to prove the doubters like me wrong this year against tougher schedule.

Daytripper
July 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I assumed he was saying those were four teams that had that group coming back in common.

I think that was his preseason ranking (xeekx) because if I am not mistaken, we lost a couple of oline starters to graduation.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I think that was his preseason ranking (xeekx) because if I am not mistaken, we lost a couple of oline starters to graduation.

Ah, gotcha. Haven't dove into the Keeper link yet so I'm pretty impressionable at this point. xlolx

Milktruck74
July 18th, 2017, 03:31 PM
My Mocs are probably about 5 spots too high. There are just too many questions that need to be answered. They are a top 20 team, but not much higher. The season may prove to be different, but we need to prove things!!!

cx500d
July 18th, 2017, 04:57 PM
1. SHSU
2. UCA
3. NDSU
4. JMU

# 2 is crack. I will admit, after looking at Keepers stats, Sammy has a bunch of returning talent. So does JMU, however. Until proven otherwise, JMU should be #1. All else will fight it out.

F'N Hawks
July 18th, 2017, 10:31 PM
sorry dude .. but I just think after couple strong years, the Big Sky took a step backwards last season, some perennials slipped, and then had several over-rated teams. I have no idea why Weber St was even a bubble team .. much less got an at large bid. Cal Poly started strong, but seemed to fade. I do think UND was clearly a top 20 and a playoff caliber team without doubt .. but I couldn't understand how you got top 8 seed. Then again, I tend to rely a lot on ranking systems like Massey and Sagarin ... objective to say least, but formula driven ranking has its flaws too.

Anyway, I note you guys have most of your offense back, but took some hits on defense. You'll have a chance to prove the doubters like me wrong this year against tougher schedule.

That's fair. UND has a long ways to go, no doubt. But if you look at the first post in this thread it has UND ranked 13th. Not sure why anybody would be up in arms about that.

The offense will be much, much better, having seniors will do that. The defense will be fine, only lost linebackers really, which are replaceable in a 3-4 as the usually have a lot of them. Toughest games will be at Missoula and at Vermillion.

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2017, 09:00 AM
That's fair. UND has a long ways to go, no doubt. But if you look at the first post in this thread it has UND ranked 13th. Not sure why anybody would be up in arms about that.

The offense will be much, much better, having seniors will do that. The defense will be fine, only lost linebackers really, which are replaceable in a 3-4 as the usually have a lot of them. Toughest games will be at Missoula and at Vermillion.

Having a lot of upper classmen for the tougher road games you will likely have this year is almost always a good thing.

What are your thougts on coaching change at EWU .. will they and how much will they fall as a result of transition ? They do have stud QB and entire OL back. Kupp was better than most , but they have always had plenty of good WRs waiting in line there given their offensive system.

BisonTru
July 19th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Using Keepers List some teams of interest

Fewest Defensive Starters Lost (in order):
Western Illioinis
Jacksonville St
Wofford
James Madison
North Dakota St
Illinois St

Most Defensive Starter Lost (in order):
Youngstown St
San Diego
North Dakota
Chattanooga
Sam Houston St
The Citadel

Fewest Offensive Starters Lost (in order):
South Dakota St
North Dakota
Youngstown St
San Diego
Villanova
Richmond

Most Offensive Starters Lost (in order):
The Citadel
Jacksonville St
Illinois St
James Madison
Samford
Chattanooga

Daytripper
July 19th, 2017, 09:17 AM

Western Illioinis
Jacksonville St
Wofford
James Madison
North Dakota St
Illinois St

Youngstown St
San Diego
North Dakota
Chattanooga
Sam Houston St
The Citadel

South Dakota St
North Dakota
Youngstown St
San Diego
Villanova
Richmond

The Citadel
Jacksonville St
Illinois St
James Madison
Samford
Chattanooga

SHSU should be close to the top of Fewest Offensive Starters Lost. We bring back our QB, top two RBs and our top 4 receivers. Lost a lot on the o-line though.

BisonTru
July 19th, 2017, 09:22 AM
SHSU should be close to the top of Fewest Offensive Starters Lost. We bring back our QB, top two RBs and our top 4 receivers. Lost a lot on the o-line though.

You're close. If I kept going it would be Western Illinois and then you guys.

Daytripper
July 19th, 2017, 09:28 AM
You're close. If I kept going it would be Western Illinois and then you guys.

Wow. Western Illinois is returning a bunch on both sides.

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Having a lot of upper classmen for the tougher road games you will likely have this year is almost always a good thing.

What are your thougts on coaching change at EWU .. will they and how much will they fall as a result of transition ? They do have stud QB and entire OL back. Kupp was better than most , but they have always had plenty of good WRs waiting in line there given their offensive system.

lot of upper classman on road referred to your offense, not defense.

McNeese72
July 19th, 2017, 10:33 AM
After last season, my Cowboys shouldn't be anywhere in sniffing distance of the preseason poll. We shouldn't be in any of the polls until we prove we deserve to be in them.

Anybody got any extra OL??

Doc

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2017, 11:18 AM
After last season, my Cowboys shouldn't be anywhere in sniffing distance of the preseason poll. We shouldn't be in any of the polls until we prove we deserve to be in them.

Anybody got any extra OL??

Doc
already got dibs on all extra OL for my Redbirds.

p.s. for record, we like who we got .. but as with any 2nd stringers, they are unproven until they are proven

F'N Hawks
July 19th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Rumor on Sioux Sports is that UND All-American Corner Deion Harris just got injured. Not good. That changes a lot of things about my expectations

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Western Illioinis
Jacksonville St
Wofford
James Madison
North Dakota St
Illinois St

Youngstown St
San Diego
North Dakota
Chattanooga
Sam Houston St
The Citadel

South Dakota St
North Dakota
Youngstown St
San Diego
Villanova
Richmond

The Citadel
Jacksonville St
Illinois St
James Madison
Samford
Chattanooga

this spreadsheet is awesome .. it doesn't just tally lost starters by game count, but I assume it also tracks productivity lost (passes, carries, tackles) for each position group (except OL) regardless of whether stat came from starter or reserve. So ISU has 4 RBs gain 1700+ yards, and we lost 3 of 4 RBs (1 graduated, 2 transferred) .. so we retained about 1/3rd of our carries.

I assume above is ranking starters games lost, not the stats.

FYI, we have another good RB waiting in wings, plus 2 others we like .. so we expect to be strong at RB. OL is only serious question mark for ISU.
So for RBs, it will also

OhioHen
July 19th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Will the pre-season poll be preceded by conference polls like last year? I think those really helped the overall poll tremendously.

katstrapper
July 19th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Kat O will return most of the offensive two deep. They didnt lose as much on OL as one would think. Kats play so many players on offense they wont skip a beat.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Will the pre-season poll be preceded by conference polls like last year? I think those really helped the overall poll tremendously.

I was not going to do them this year. Just tried em' last year to see how we did conference wise but if people wanted them I will find a way to roll these out as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I was not going to do them this year. Just tried em' last year to see how we did conference wise but if people wanted them I will find a way to roll these out as well.

Looking at it now, I really won't have a chance to do the conferences properly this year. I will do it next season if people want it.

Professor Chaos
July 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Looking at it now, I really won't have a chance to do the conferences properly this year. I will do it next season if people want it.
Seems participation was pretty light last year as well. Some of the smaller conferences had less than 10 polls submitted IIRC.

UNIFanSince1983
July 19th, 2017, 03:42 PM
UNI should not be any higher than 124 to start the year.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Seems participation was pretty light last year as well. Some of the smaller conferences had less than 10 polls submitted IIRC.

Yeah, that is the main reason I was sort of like "Ah well" after the effort put in not many people got with it. So I always figure that is the barometer for if things will be a going concern.

clenz
July 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM
UNI should not be any higher than 124 to start the year.

Still too high

RootinFerDukes
July 19th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Still too high

You all should pull an "Idaho" and move on down to D2.

KPSUL
July 19th, 2017, 06:48 PM
JMU should be the clear favorite to win the FCS championship again in 2017. Khalid Abdullah graduated but two very good RBs, Trai Sharpe and Cordell Johnson, are returning. They also picked up perhaps the best FBC to FCS transfer of the year, Marcus Marshall RB from Georgia Tech. They were very deep in WR last season, the WR with the most yardage graduated, (Brandon Ravenel) but an excellent corps of receivers will return - including an excellent TE, Jonathon Kloosterman. QB Bryan Schor is back. They will have depth in most positions. Although they play essentially the same conference schedule as last year, they benefit from playing the other 3 CAA 2016 playoff teams at home rather than on the road as the did in 2016. I suppose there is always the chance of a Sophomore slump in Mike Houston 2nd year, but I'd say that is highly unlikely.

RootinFerDukes
July 19th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Excellent post kpsul. I'd say JMU is your second favorite caa team. ;)

KPSUL
July 19th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Excellent post kpsul. I'd say JMU is your second favorite caa team. ;)

I give the devil dogs their due! Doesn't mean I have to like itxbawlingx

ST_Lawson
July 19th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Wow. Western Illinois is returning a bunch on both sides.

Which is mostly awesome, but that also means that we're returning our defensive backfield that was the 3rd worst at giving up yardage in the FCS...although we have done a few things to address that issue...hopefully couple of transfers+more experience+new defensive coach = not giving up huge passes all day

Still, looking very promising for this coming season for us.

ElCid
July 19th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Which is mostly awesome, but that also means that we're returning our defensive backfield that was the 3rd worst at giving up yardage in the FCS...although we have done a few things to address that issue...hopefully couple of transfers+more experience+new defensive coach = not giving up huge passes all day

Still, looking very promising for this coming season for us.

They are making my poll.

dudeitsaid
July 20th, 2017, 03:01 AM

In regards to talent, EWU is stacked. But, coaching is a question mark, especially on the offensive side of the ball. We just don't know, could be just fine. The cupboards are full for a couple years to come in regards to talent, so hopefully, if there are some growing pains, we have a chance to grow through them and still have players that can take the team far. If the coaching growing pains are minimal, I think EWU will contend again this year.

EWU is a haven for receivers. We have a huge stable of very capable receivers, including some incoming freshman, if we really needed them. We will have very, very good receivers on the field this year, and for years to come. That being said, coach Best wants to build more balance with the run game, and have the ability to control the clock better when necessary. Defensively, I think EWU will continue to improve over the decent defense last year. So, if we have some struggles on the offensive side of the ball, a third year under DC Schmedding will help.

EWU once again has one of the more challenging schedules in the FCS, and like last year, it's front loaded. In the past, that's hurt us if we can't start off strong. If EWU gets deflated with a couple early season losses, it could be challenging to recover for the remainder of the season.

But, the homer in me says we're going to have a great season! I'd put EWU in the top 5, even trying to be as objective as I can.

Gangtackle11
July 20th, 2017, 05:10 AM
I give the devil dogs their due! Doesn't mean I have to like itxbawlingx

Pretty much sums up this CAA follower's viewpoint. xpeacex

BisonTru
July 25th, 2017, 11:23 PM
I thru this together doing my poll. The numbers are from Keepers list and are in order of how they finished ranked last year.

Teams
Starters Lost
Stats Lost

James Madison
36.1%

North Dakota State
29.7%

Youngstown State
38.7%

Eastern Washington
29.3%

South Dakota State
26.1%

Wofford
33.1%

Richmond
32.0%

Sam Houston State
27.0%

Jacksonville State
44.6%

The Citadel
47.0%

Villanova
28.6%

Chattanooga
44.5%

North Dakota
24.8%

Central Arkansas
31.0%

New Hampshire
39.2%

Charleston Southern
27.1%

Samford
31.4%

San Diego
41.7%

Illinois State
45.2%

Lehigh
37.4%

Grambling
46.7%

Cal Poly
58.8%

Weber State
43.6%

North Carolina A&T
33.1%

North Carolina Central
50.5%

Albany
35.4%

St Francis-PA
36.9%

Princeton
40.5%

Fordham
36.1%

Western Illinois
20.8%

Maine
39.2%

Eastern Illinois
40.7%

South Carolina State
20.6%

Northern Iowa
41.6%

Jackson State
48.3%

Pennsylvania
38.5%

SE Louisiana
56.1%

Southern Utah
42.5%

Tennessee-Martin
35.4%

Harvard
25.4%

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2017, 11:43 PM
I thru this together doing my poll. The numbers are from Keepers list and are in order of how they finished ranked last year.

Teams
Starters Lost
Stats Lost

James Madison
36.1%

North Dakota State
29.7%

Youngstown State
38.7%

Eastern Washington
29.3%

South Dakota State
26.1%

Wofford
33.1%

Richmond
32.0%

Sam Houston State
27.0%

Jacksonville State
44.6%

The Citadel
47.0%

Villanova
28.6%

Chattanooga
44.5%

North Dakota
24.8%

Central Arkansas
31.0%

New Hampshire
39.2%

Charleston Southern
27.1%

Samford
31.4%

San Diego
41.7%

Illinois State
45.2%

Lehigh
37.4%

Grambling
46.7%

Cal Poly
58.8%

Weber State
43.6%

North Carolina A&T
33.1%

North Carolina Central
50.5%

Albany
35.4%

St Francis-PA
36.9%

Princeton
40.5%

Fordham
36.1%

Western Illinois
20.8%

Maine
39.2%

Eastern Illinois
40.7%

South Carolina State
20.6%

Northern Iowa
41.6%

Jackson State
48.3%

Pennsylvania
38.5%

SE Louisiana
56.1%

Southern Utah
42.5%

Tennessee-Martin
35.4%

Harvard
25.4%

Tru, that is excellent man! The avg. loss appears to be 8.945 for anyone wanting that benchmark for comparison amongst the t0p 40.

Milktruck74
July 26th, 2017, 06:37 AM
I do my poll in lumps of 5. These teams should be in the top 5, then the next, then I go back and rank them. This pre-season I had 4 teams in my top 5 and 20 teams in the 20-25 group. This poll wasn't easy.

JSUSoutherner
July 26th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I do my poll in lumps of 5. These teams should be in the top 5, then the next, then I go back and rank them. This pre-season I had 4 teams in my top 5 and 20 teams in the 20-25 group. This poll wasn't easy.
No, it wasn't easy. The first 15 were but 15-25 was a mess. I ended up mostly shotgunning it. Which I guess isn't a bad strategy preseason. The poll will sort itself out after the first couple weeks anyway.

RootinFerDukes
July 26th, 2017, 08:07 AM
No, it wasn't easy. The first 15 were but 15-25 was a mess. I ended up mostly shotgunning it. Which I guess isn't a bad strategy preseason. The poll will sort itself out after the first couple weeks anyway.

Bingo. Everyone seems to stress and I just think, it's collectively going to look pretty much right where we left off last year. Once we play for a month, it will sort itself out anyways. The good will rise, the bad will drop.

Redbird 4th & short
July 26th, 2017, 08:56 AM
In regards to talent, EWU is stacked. But, coaching is a question mark, especially on the offensive side of the ball. We just don't know, could be just fine. The cupboards are full for a couple years to come in regards to talent, so hopefully, if there are some growing pains, we have a chance to grow through them and still have players that can take the team far. If the coaching growing pains are minimal, I think EWU will contend again this year.

EWU is a haven for receivers. We have a huge stable of very capable receivers, including some incoming freshman, if we really needed them. We will have very, very good receivers on the field this year, and for years to come. That being said, coach Best wants to build more balance with the run game, and have the ability to control the clock better when necessary. Defensively, I think EWU will continue to improve over the decent defense last year. So, if we have some struggles on the offensive side of the ball, a third year under DC Schmedding will help.

EWU once again has one of the more challenging schedules in the FCS, and like last year, it's front loaded. In the past, that's hurt us if we can't start off strong. If EWU gets deflated with a couple early season losses, it could be challenging to recover for the remainder of the season.

But, the homer in me says we're going to have a great season! I'd put EWU in the top 5, even trying to be as objective as I can.

i wouldn't doubt they barely skip a beat given what is coming back on offense. How does our OL rate .. obviously a good thing to have everyone back. Just 24 sacks in 620 passes, but run game was average at best (4.1 ypc .. expect more when you spread things out passing so well). So do you think your OL very good or is it more the result of system from last year ?

Professor Chaos
July 26th, 2017, 08:59 AM
i wouldn't doubt they barely skip a beat given what is coming back on offense. How does our OL rate .. obviously a good thing to have everyone back. Just 24 sacks in 620 passes, but run game was average at best (4.1 ypc .. expect more when you spread things out passing so well). So do you think your OL very good or is it more the result of system from last year ?
It helps that their QB is more slippery than this guy...

https://sacetalks.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/family-guy-deaf-guy.jpg

Redbird 4th & short
July 26th, 2017, 09:31 AM
It helps that their QB is more slippery than this guy...

https://sacetalks.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/family-guy-deaf-guy.jpg

you know, kids these days !!! no one wears a jockstrap anymore ... xeyebrowx Don't they know how dangerours the game of football is ???

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I moved some teams around. Not a whole lot. More in the 20-25 range than anything else. First few weeks will give us a better indication as usual. I did think that San Diego deserves to be in, just as a tip of the cap still for their playoff win.

RootinFerDukes
July 26th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I moved some teams around. Not a whole lot. More in the 20-25 range than anything else. First few weeks will give us a better indication as usual. I did think that San Diego deserves to be in, just as a tip of the cap still for their playoff win.

Yeah I felt the same way. If you win a playoff game the previous year, it's hard to argue they shouldn't be ranked in the preseason.

The Pud
July 26th, 2017, 10:05 AM
JMU should be #1.

+6

GetEmGriz
July 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do people put the ivy league schools in their top 25 rankings when they don't participate in the playoffs?

ElCid
July 26th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do people put the ivy league schools in their top 25 rankings when they don't participate in the playoffs?

That is a real good question. I do not include the Ivy. Nor have I ever. Nor do I include MEAC or SWAC, now, for the same reason. I used to. They want to do their own thing, fine. I am just doing my own thing. Actually makes it a bit harder to fill out the 20-25 because there are usually 2-4 teams in those three conferences who I might include, but do not. So all the teams below these potentially ranked folks move up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 26th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Because being one of the Top 25 teams in the country and making the playoffs do not represent the same thing. Just like the NCAA tournament does not consist of the Top 68 teams in D1 basketball.

The IL plays quality FCS ball. Every few years they have a team that could go far in the playoffs imo.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2017, 04:00 PM

Mainly because playoff participation doesn't mean too much when you are ranking the top 25 teams. It's a ranking based on performances and people's perception of how good the team is. If they participate under the same rules as are afforded other FCS then they should be ranked.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2017, 04:05 PM
That is a real good question. I do not include the Ivy. Nor have I ever. Nor do I include MEAC or SWAC, now, for the same reason. I used to. They want to do their own thing, fine. I am just doing my own thing. Actually makes it a bit harder to fill out the 20-25 because there are usually 2-4 teams in those three conferences who I might include, but do not. So all the teams below these potentially ranked folks move up.

Hmm, that doesn't really seem fair in my mind but to each their own of course. I believe the same thing you do with regards to those teams participation but it seems like I would be telling a bit of a lie in my ballot if I took them out due to my feelings on their administrations and so forth. The two things really are not linked in my view so I keep them separate....but I do discount them based on schedules ususally. That sort of lines up with one of your reasons.

ElCid
July 26th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Hmm, that doesn't really seem fair in my mind but to each their own of course. I believe the same thing you do with regards to those teams participation but it seems like I would be telling a bit of a lie in my ballot if I took them out due to my feelings on their administrations and so forth. The two things really are not linked in my view so I keep them separate....but I do discount them based on schedules ususally. That sort of lines up with one of your reasons.

Oh I wrestled with my conscious about it. But it is kind of hard to justify if they are not part of the playoff. Maybe I am linking them too much in my mind, but we have a playoff mechanism. Polls, which I believe try to accurately predict the teams that will participate. And these polls should not be corrupted with those teams which will not participate. Will a really good Harvard, Grambling, or NC A&T deserve to be in the polls sometimes? Absolutely. But I am not sure we can have them in it if they choose not to take part for whatever political or economic agenda they are pursuing. I realize that it is the admins that are doing this, but they are able to get away with it because the students, teams, and supporters have not put enough pressure on them to join with the rest of the FCS. If they don't care about being part of the FCS team, why should I? I know, I sound to rigid on this. But it has always bugged me.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Oh I wrestled with my conscious about it. But it is kind of hard to justify if they are not part of the playoff. Maybe I am linking them too much in my mind, but we have a playoff mechanism. Polls, which I believe try to accurately predict the teams that will participate. And these polls should not be corrupted with those teams which will not participate. Will a really good Harvard, Grambling, or NC A&T deserve to be in the polls sometimes? Absolutely. But I am not sure we can have them in it if they choose not to take part for whatever political or economic agenda they are pursuing. I realize that it is the admins that are doing this, but they are able to get away with it because the students, teams, and supporters have not put enough pressure on them to join with the rest of the FCS. If they don't care about being part of the FCS team, why should I? I know, I sound to rigid on this. But it has always bugged me.

Bugs me too but one way is more correct and gives me no ill feeling of not be true and I too believe that a poll should e able to aptly ID teams that will be in the playoffs but it does not take away from the poll to have a team in that does not participate...cuz you just look down the list a spot or two and find the next participant.

We always have a listing of around 40 teams minimum so we have plenty of space/teams to utilize and choose from.

It's the Top 25, not the Top 24 team playoff predictor...even though it still does an excellent job of that. But as I said, we all have differing philosophies on the matter and when we get together it works out fairly well.

Iridebikes
July 27th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Speaking of our coaching situation, it was announced yesterday the we've just hired a tight ends coach. Heath Pulver apparently has been associated with EWU, on and off in various capacities for a while now. Good to see that last position was working with Beau down at Cal. I agree with you that we have a lot of talent back, on both sides of the ball. Don't know what coaching will be like but hope that the players can guide the coaches thru the process if required.

Redbird 4th & short
July 27th, 2017, 08:32 AM

dudesaidiit .. typo .. How does YOUR OL rate ?

Bisonator
July 27th, 2017, 09:11 AM
I can understand leaving the Ivy's out since they seldom schedule non-cons outside the PL, play fewer games and don't participate in the PO's. Hence judging their teams versus most of the rest of the FCS is difficult but I don't see the same issues with the MEAC or SWAC. Sure they don't partake in the PO's but they do schedule more OOC games to get a good idea of where they stack up. Just my opinion on it.

jmufan999
July 27th, 2017, 12:26 PM
the only way I wouldn't rank an Ivy school is if that was part of the poll. in other words, NO ONE could vote for any of them. if they're eligible to be in the poll, and I believe they are a top 25 team, they get ranked. since they are ineligible for the playoffs, their talent certainly shouldn't be held against them.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 27th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Here is Keeper's ratings for losses (starters) etc. for 2017 vs. last season.

http://www.keepratings.net/#

This rocks.

NorthChuckSouth
July 27th, 2017, 04:49 PM
This rocks.

https://media.giphy.com/media/dM2xuxnJCg4H6/giphy.gif

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I can understand leaving the Ivy's out since they seldom schedule non-cons outside the PL, play fewer games and don't participate in the PO's. Hence judging their teams versus most of the rest of the FCS is difficult but I don't see the same issues with the MEAC or SWAC. Sure they don't partake in the PO's but they do schedule more OOC games to get a good idea of where they stack up. Just my opinion on it.

The IL plays more games against the CAA than I feel people outside of the Northeast realize.

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 05:44 PM
the only way I wouldn't rank an Ivy school is if that was part of the poll. in other words, NO ONE could vote for any of them. if they're eligible to be in the poll, and I believe they are a top 25 team, they get ranked. since they are ineligible for the playoffs, their talent certainly shouldn't be held against them.

No one knows their talent because they are so inbred.

ST_Lawson
July 27th, 2017, 10:18 PM
The IL plays more games against the CAA than I feel people outside of the Northeast realize.

Every time I see someone write "IL" I think they're referring to someone around here...Redbirds, Illini. Always takes me a minute because it makes no sense in my head that, for example, "The Illini play more games against the CAA..." xconfusedx

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Every time I see someone write "IL" I think they're referring to someone around here...Redbirds, Illini. Always takes me a minute because it makes no sense in my head that, for example, "The Illini play more games against the CAA..." xconfusedx

The Illini is a racist name...That said, they should consider moving to Division II

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2017, 10:55 PM

Must be how I feel when someone from down south refers to South Carolina as USC. USC will always be Southern Cal to me....

BucBisonAtLarge
July 28th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Must be how I feel when someone from down south refers to South Carolina as USC. USC will always be Southern Cal to me....

..or you see 'Carolina' in red script on a T-shirt... South Carolina has an identity problem.

OhioHen
July 28th, 2017, 05:59 AM

For the same reason that mid-season polls will include a power conference team with a losing record - the voters believe that a 2-4 UNI (for example) is better than at least 100 FCS teams and vote accordingly.

I am on record as being strongly against this practice, but I do understand it.

OhioHen
July 28th, 2017, 06:04 AM

I lived in Southwest Ohio for 8 years before I stopped doing an automatic double-take when someone referred to UD and meant Dayton. When in the area, I now refer to the locals as UD and Delaware as the REAL UD or the ORIGINAL UD.

taper
July 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM
The Illini is a racist name...That said, they should consider moving to Division II

No it isn't. Illini isn't a Native American tribe, it was taken up by the sports teams in the early 1900's after being used by the school unofficially for decades to refer to all the people of Illinois. The Chief Illiniwek mascot did have some controversy and was retired in 2007. The only Illini connection to Native Americans is through the entire state being vaguely named after a tribe, which is hardly racist.

As for the Ivy League, it's called the Football Championship Subdivision. They don't participate in the championship, and very rarely play games outside the Patriot League and other "upper class"(not derogatory) eastern schools. They're so disconnected from the rest of the division I can't tell if they're actually good or hiding good records behind bad teams. I consider them choosing not to be part of the FCS, so I don't include them.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Bison fans are going to hate my poll.

Bisonoline
July 30th, 2017, 09:13 PM
No it isn't. Illini isn't a Native American tribe, it was taken up by the sports teams in the early 1900's after being used by the school unofficially for decades to refer to all the people of Illinois. The Chief Illiniwek mascot did have some controversy and was retired in 2007. The only Illini connection to Native Americans is through the entire state being vaguely named after a tribe, which is hardly racist.

As for the Ivy League, it's called the Football Championship Subdivision. They don't participate in the championship, and very rarely play games outside the Patriot League and other "upper class"(not derogatory) eastern schools. They're so disconnected from the rest of the division I can't tell if they're actually good or hiding good records behind bad teams. I consider them choosing not to be part of the FCS, so I don't include them.

That tribe is also extinct.

JSUSoutherner
July 30th, 2017, 09:37 PM

Looking forward to it then!

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Looking forward to it then!

You won't either.... xlolx

cx500d
July 30th, 2017, 10:09 PM

Even more racist....they killed them all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clenz
July 31st, 2017, 07:12 AM
You won't either.... xlolx
Errrybody gun hate mine.

caribbeanhen
July 31st, 2017, 07:18 AM
can we have a bottom 25 Poll?

dead last pick... Delaware State... just an awful excuse for a football program..

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2017, 08:19 AM

dead last pick... Delaware State... just an awful excuse for a football program..

Sagarin disagrees with you a little bit and it is probably our only real metric for all of FBS and FCS side by side.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff is the worst as of the end of 2016. Davidson and Mississippi Valley State also come in before the fourth worst team, Delaware State.

With that being said, all three of the other teams listed had at least one win in 2016. That has to mean something, right? Delaware State was winless. Austin Peay is another winless program.

Bisonator
July 31st, 2017, 08:24 AM
In other news the sky is blue.......;)

Bisonator
July 31st, 2017, 08:26 AM

Would they be first or last then?xchinscratchx

DirtyDukes
July 31st, 2017, 08:37 AM
Forgive my greenhorn question: does the poll close today and come out tomorrow? Or comes out today?

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2017, 08:44 AM
Forgive my greenhorn question: does the poll close today and come out tomorrow? Or comes out today?

It typically closes at noon on a monday each week and he has it up within a few hours. Maybe 1-3pm EST, roughly? He turns it around pretty quickly after closing.

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2017, 08:48 AM
In other news the sky is blue.......;)

You're not wrong. Haha

DirtyDukes
July 31st, 2017, 09:14 AM
It typically closes at noon on a monday each week and he has it up within a few hours. Maybe 1-3pm EST, roughly? He turns it around pretty quickly after closing.

Thanks NotJustin

ST_Lawson
July 31st, 2017, 09:16 AM

That part isn't actually true (although it's a common rumor). "Illini" are a group of tribes that are part of the Illinois Confederation that include the Peoria, Kaskaskia, Tamaroa, Cahokia, and Michigamea (as well as some other smaller tribes). They were forced out of the Illinois region and are currently united under the name Peoria Tribe of Indians in Oklahoma (http://peoriatribe.com/history/).

That being said, as far as I am aware, they (or at least, the tribal leadership) don't have any problem with the "Illini" name, although they did have a problem with the appearance and activities of "The Chief".

The Yo Show
July 31st, 2017, 11:00 AM
Can Chattown Mocs Vote?

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2017, 12:14 PM

You're a sandbagging sumbitch xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
July 31st, 2017, 12:23 PM
Can Chattown Mocs Vote?

To the best of my knowledge he doesn't, but I believe since he meets all the requirements to vote he could. Ursus or someone else that's involved more could give you a more definitive answer.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 31st, 2017, 01:05 PM
To the best of my knowledge he doesn't, but I believe since he meets all the requirements to vote he could. Ursus or someone else that's involved more could give you a more definitive answer.

He can and has in the past. He does a good job too. He's been out for a few years though and it might be more than that.

ASU33
July 31st, 2017, 02:02 PM

Arkansas Pine-Bluff would like to have a seat at the table!

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2017, 03:11 PM
Arkansas Pine-Bluff would like to have a seat at the table!

3/4ths of the SWAC would make the list along with Pioneer teams.

The Yo Show
July 31st, 2017, 03:30 PM
He can and has in the past. He does a good job too. He's been out for a few years though and it might be more than that.

Interesting. Thanks Ursus!

The Pud
July 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM
Interesting. Thanks Ursus!

+9

cx500d
July 31st, 2017, 04:55 PM
3/4ths of the SWAC would make the list along with Pioneer teams.

Was thinking the bottom half of the Southland....

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2017, 05:36 PM

Them too....there's 25 spots... xlolx

caribbeanhen
August 1st, 2017, 08:24 AM
Would they be first or last then?xchinscratchx

first for the worst...

The Pud
August 1st, 2017, 08:36 AM

+1

This is true