PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Media Day (7-18-17)

The Cats
July 17th, 2017, 11:15 AM
SoCon live stream schedule:
1:10 p.m. – Live stream begins
1:15 p.m. – VMI
1:30 p.m. – Samford
1:45 p.m. – Chattanooga
2:00 p.m. – Mercer
2:15 p.m. – The Citadel
2:30 p.m. – ETSU
2:45 p.m. – Western Carolina
3:00 p.m. – Furman
3:15 p.m. – Wofford
3:30 p.m. – SoCon Commissioner John Iamarino

Stream link:
www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon/schedule (http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/socon/schedule)

Southern Conference Football Media Day attendees
The Citadel: Head coach Brent Thompson; Dominque Allen, QB; Kailik Williams, DB
ETSU: Head coach Carl Torbush; Austin Herink, QB; Chris Bouyer, DL
Furman: Head coach Clay Hendrix; Matthew Schmidt, OL Jaylan Reid, DL
Mercer: Head coach Bobby Lamb; Thomas Marchman, OL; Lee Bennett, LB
Samford: Head coach Chris Hatcher; Devlin Hodges, QB; Omari Williams, DB
Chattanooga: Head coach Tom Arth; Alejandro Bennifield, QB; Lucas Webb, DB
VMI: Head coach Scott Wachenheim; Stephen Miller, OL; Allan Cratsenberg, LB
Western Carolina: Head coach Mark Speir; Detrez Newsome, RB; Keion Crossen, DB
Wofford: Head coach Mike Ayers; Brandon Goodson, QB; Tyler Vaughn, DL

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Proud of Coach Lamb & Coach Hendrix for each bringing an OLman to Rep their Offense at SoCon Media Days.

I happen to, personally, know both of the OL Studs they are bringing. Both are great players, but even better young men. I'll expect to see both of them named consensus 1st Team All SoCon tomorrow as well.

catamount man
July 17th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Looking forward to the recaps, etc tomorrow evening. GO CATS!!!

Scrappy94
July 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Can't wait to see the preseason poll.

If I had to guess, I think it will look something like this.

1. Wofford
2. Chattanooga
3. The Citadel
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI
9. ETSU

Let's see how close I am.

longtimemocfan
July 18th, 2017, 06:49 PM

1. Wofford
2. Chattanooga
3. The Citadel
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI
9. ETSU

Mocs Place League-High 10 on Preseason All-SoCon Teams

UTC is picked fourth in both the preseason coaches and media polls.
Jul. 18, 2017 Football
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga put a league-high 10 student-athletes on the preseason All-Southern Conference Football Team, picked by the league coaches and released as part of SoCon Media Day. The Mocs were picked to finish fourth by the coaches and media.

(insert link here)

JSUSoutherner
July 18th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Mocs Place League-High 10 on Preseason All-SoCon Teams

UTC is picked fourth in both the preseason coaches and media polls.

You know you're not supposed to copy-paste full articles, right? AGS can get in big trouble for that.

catamount man
July 18th, 2017, 07:07 PM
6th and 7th. Meh, hope we get a defense. Would love to sneak into top 4. GO CATS!!!

youcanbankit
July 18th, 2017, 08:17 PM
6th and 7th. Meh, hope we get a defense. Would love to sneak into top 4. GO CATS!!!

You guys are too good to sneak up on anybody. People are watching....Not as much as Trump, But they are watching..xlolx

youcanbankit
July 18th, 2017, 08:21 PM

1. Wofford
2. Chattanooga
3. The Citadel
4. Samford
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI
9. ETSU

I heard Chattanooga would have been ranked first by the media, but they found that a school representative secretly met with Russia at Champy's. Russia told them that Wofford is first, but will finish fourth..xlolx

Catamount87
July 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
You guys are too good to sneak up on anybody. People are watching....Not as much as Trump, But they are watching..xlolx

With how much parity we now have in the SoCon, I'm not sure anyone will be "sneaking up" on anyone else in 2017.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2017, 09:58 AM
With how much parity we now have in the SoCon, I'm not sure anyone will be "sneaking up" on anyone else in 2017.

I don't see anyone running the table. The conference champ may be a two loss team.

TheRevSFA
July 19th, 2017, 10:00 AM
You know you're not supposed to copy-paste full articles, right? AGS can get in big trouble for that.

I've fixed it with a note for him to put the link in

Catamount87
July 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM
I don't see anyone running the table. The conference champ may be a two loss team.

It won't be any surprise if the SoCon champion this year has 2 conference losses.

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Who has the tiebreaker scenario? I bet we use it this year.

Catamount87
July 19th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Who has the tiebreaker scenario? I bet we use it this year.

From the SoCon web site:

Football Championship Determination Tie-breaking Procedures: The Southern Conference champion shall be the team that finishes with the best won-loss percentage in Conference games during the regular season. In the case that two or more schools finish with identical won-loss records, they shall be declared co-champions.

NCAA Automatic Bid Tie-breaking Procedures: The Conference champion shall be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA FCS Playoffs, provided it is eligible to compete in the post-season under NCAA guidelines. In the event that co-champions are declared, the automatic bid will be awarded as follows:

A. In the case of a two-way tie, the automatic bid will be awarded to the winner of the game between the tied teams during the regular season;

B. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken, the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the Commissioner;

C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three-way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2017, 01:54 PM
From the SoCon web site:

Football Championship Determination Tie-breaking Procedures: The Southern Conference champion shall be the team that finishes with the best won-loss percentage in Conference games during the regular season. In the case that two or more schools finish with identical won-loss records, they shall be declared co-champions.

NCAA Automatic Bid Tie-breaking Procedures: The Conference champion shall be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA FCS Playoffs, provided it is eligible to compete in the post-season under NCAA guidelines. In the event that co-champions are declared, the automatic bid will be awarded as follows:

A. In the case of a two-way tie, the automatic bid will be awarded to the winner of the game between the tied teams during the regular season;

B. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken, the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the Commissioner;

C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three-way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

This is how Furman ended up the autobid in 2013.

Furman, UTC, and Samford all ended up 6-2. All three teams were 1-1 against the other. Of the three of them, Furman had the worst loss on their resume (a 3 point home loss to 2-10 Elon).

Furman and Samford won the tiebreaker against UTC because they had both beaten Georgia Southern (the #4 team). Furman won the tie breaker over Samford because they had beaten the Citadel (the #6 team). Both Samford and Furman had beaten Wofford (the #5 team).

Mocs123
July 19th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Still mad about 2013. We had a score called back on a bad call. I think they called our FB Tahayn Tyson an ineligible receiver after he scored. If I remember correctly it was clear after the game a mistake was made but the game was over and it ended up costing us a playoff spot.

Of course if we had beaten Samford with a gimped up Huesman it wouldn't have mattered

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Nice write up on Furman. Gets a little more in detail into what to expect from the Paladins on offense. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2017/07/18/paladins-embracing-up-tempo-approach-offense/487200001/

PJ Blazejowski won't appear on pre-season lists, but he is going to be one to keep an eye on. He appears tailor made for what Furman looks to be doing offensively. He has always been a superb athlete with a big arm. The knock, to me, has always been decision making and trying to force plays to happen.

With a renewed focus on the running game and an uptempo offense, I think we could see Blazejowski have a fine season.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Still mad about 2013. We had a score called back on a bad call. I think they called our FB Tahayn Tyson an ineligible receiver after he scored. If I remember correctly it was clear after the game a mistake was made but the game was over and it ended up costing us a playoff spot.

Of course if we had beaten Samford with a gimped up Huesman it wouldn't have mattered

So....why are only CIT and Mercer doing replay this year? I imagine each fan base has 1 (or more) legen.....DARY stories about how they were screwed by SoCon Officiating...but only 2 of 9 schools have opted to initiate replay as soon as they were allowed to. That baffles me. Replay ain't perfect, but it's a far cry better than the blatant incompetency and egregious errors we've all seen.

kdinva
July 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM
So....why are only CIT and Mercer doing replay this year? ....but only 2 of 9 schools have opted to initiate replay as soon as they were allowed to.

I am confident VMI will add this, if not 2018, definitely 2019. VMI has now a dedicated "video person" whose main job is organizing the football and basketball set ups for SoCon network and ESPN3 telecasts. VMI's issue is when they build the current press box in 1989, they did only two broadcast booths (for radio). Now, the TV broadcast talent takes the VMI radio booth, and the VMI radio crew does the games from the press box roof.....now they must somehow create a dedicated booth/area for the FB replay guy......

Mocs123
July 20th, 2017, 02:11 PM
So....why are only CIT and Mercer doing replay this year? I imagine each fan base has 1 (or more) legen.....DARY stories about how they were screwed by SoCon Officiating...but only 2 of 9 schools have opted to initiate replay as soon as they were allowed to. That baffles me. Replay ain't perfect, but it's a far cry better than the blatant incompetency and egregious errors we've all seen.

That baffles me as well. I am pretty sure Chattanooga/Finley Staduim has or could get that capability. They show replays already on the (not)Jumbotron.

NorthChuckSouth
July 24th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Nice write up on Furman. Gets a little more in detail into what to expect from the Paladins on offense. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2017/07/18/paladins-embracing-up-tempo-approach-offense/487200001/

PJ Blazejowski won't appear on pre-season lists, but he is going to be one to keep an eye on. He appears tailor made for what Furman looks to be doing offensively. He has always been a superb athlete with a big arm. The knock, to me, has always been decision making and trying to force plays to happen.

With a renewed focus on the running game and an uptempo offense, I think we could see Blazejowski have a fine season.

I can guarantee that ya'll will have a real tough defense

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2017, 04:44 AM
I can guarantee that ya'll will have a real tough defense

I think eventually we will. Furman lost a lot of players to graduation or attrition with the coaching change.

Skaggs is a talented DC, but he is going to be mixing and matching in 2017.

Catamount87
July 25th, 2017, 07:59 AM
That baffles me as well. I am pretty sure Chattanooga/Finley Staduim has or could get that capability. They show replays already on the (not)Jumbotron.

I have a strong suspicion that budgets and cost play a big part of the reason everyone hasn't rolled it out. Does anyone know what the requirements are for personnel, camera equipment, video editing, etc are for it?

The Cats
July 25th, 2017, 02:36 PM
I have a strong suspicion that budgets and cost play a big part of the reason everyone hasn't rolled it out. Does anyone know what the requirements are for personnel, camera equipment, video editing, etc are for it?

A quote from a previous Commissioner's Notebook article......

Replay requires a significant financial commitment. At least two personnel must be trained and utilized – a replay official and the technician who can cue up the play in question and communicate with the referee on the field. A secure room must be designated in the press box. Multiple camera angles need to be available with high-definition cameras. A camera situated at the 50-yard line won’t be of much help on a goal-line play. As many conferences, including the SoCon, find their members becoming more skilled and comfortable producing football coverage on their own, the requirements for replay will become another part of the video coordinator’s busy world.

kdinva
July 26th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Mr. henley with a nice write up here...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/jul/26/vmi-plans-lemore-toward-running-year/440218/

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Back to back to back bitches....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLs7KhcwxM8

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 08:56 PM

Either you mountain homos get with the program or get the **** out! You were MARGINAL academic institutions when you entered the SoCon and are STILL borderline diploma mills today.

Catamount87
July 27th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Either you mountain homos get with the program or get the **** out! You were MARGINAL academic institutions when you entered the SoCon and are STILL borderline diploma mills today.

So oh great and wise Oz, what degree from The Citadel do you have and what have you accomplished with it.

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 07:25 PM
So oh great and wise Oz, what degree from The Citadel do you have and what have you accomplished with it.

I think it was early 1860's Southern Revisionist History.

Catamount87
July 28th, 2017, 11:36 AM

FYI, here are admission stats for the SoCon. It sure looks like the public schools are all close together when you look at admission standards, ETSU being the outlier amongst public schools.

School
Avg Freshman SAT
Avg Freshman HS GPA (4.0 scale)
Applications/Acceptance %

ETSU
8,253/79%

UTC
6,752/79%

UNCG
10,566/59%

WCU
17,699/40%

VMI
1,799/53%

Cit
2,436/77%

Woff
2,792/72%

Mercer
4,559/67%

Furman
not reported
not reported
5,143/64%

drpnut
July 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Cat The Citadel is a public university.

Cat-in-GA
July 28th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I think it was early 1860's Southern Revisionist History.

LOLxthumbsupx

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 02:58 AM
When the diploma mills in Cullowhee, Boone, and Huntington entered the SoCon some GOOD academic schools quit the league. Richmond, William and Mary, and vmi were their names. The Citadel asked vmi to return and they did. Doesn't change the fact that when you entered you were safety schools for idiots.You have improved since those days but only a fool would deny the truth of what you were then.

chattownmocs
July 29th, 2017, 04:25 AM
When the diploma mills in Cullowhee, Boone, and Huntington entered the SoCon some GOOD academic schools quit the league. Richmond, William and Mary, and vmi were their names. The Citadel asked vmi to return and they did. Doesn't change the fact that when you entered you were safety schools for idiots.You have improved since those days but only a fool would deny the truth of what you were then.

100?

Catamount87
July 29th, 2017, 04:40 AM

Well, someone sounds rather bitter.

Interesting that you never answered my first question. I guess we're all to assume you didn't graduate, never achieved any success in life and toss insults and belittlements at others because you became a bitter, angry person. I'm sorry that you were never able to realize you dreams, that the citadel somehow failed you and that all you're left with is lonely existence in the land of broken dreams.

catamount man
July 29th, 2017, 09:43 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25590&stc=1

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Well, someone sounds rather bitter.

Interesting that you never answered my first question. I guess we're all to assume you didn't graduate, never achieved any success in life and toss insults and belittlements at others because you became a bitter, angry person. I'm sorry that you were never able to realize you dreams, that the citadel somehow failed you and that all you're left with is lonely existence in the land of broken dreams.

Bitter? Maybe a little. Anyone who doesn't think it was a poor trade to add app, wcu, and the blundering turds and lose richmond and william and mary isn't looking at it objectively.

They still speak of my academic prowess in hushed tones around Capers Hall and use my military bearing as an example to inspire the younger generation. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADHXahsxIGM

cx500d
July 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM
They still speak of my academic prowess in hushed tones around Capers Hall and use my military bearing as an example to inspire the younger generation. :)

Overheard in Capers Hall: "How in the hell did Citdog get in here? Usually people like that go to WCU. I heard his father knows the General....Also, he doesn't know his right foot from his left foot...."

citdog
July 29th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Also, he doesn't know his right foot from his left foot...."

It depends on which direction one is facing.
EVERYBODY knows that.

Catamount87
July 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Bitter? Maybe a little. Anyone who doesn't think it was a poor trade to add app, wcu, and the blundering turds and lose richmond and william and mary isn't looking at it objectively.

Again you fail to answer the question or are you answering the question with that video, letting us all know that you became a cheap hooker.

cx500d
July 29th, 2017, 03:34 PM
It depends on which direction one is facing.
EVERYBODY knows that.

I was in the Navy....Marching wasn't our strongpoint.

The Cats
July 29th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Again you fail to answer the question or are you answering the question with that video, letting us all know that you became a cheap hooker.

His only real accomplishment in life has been on this board......

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/POTY%20Ubars/agsreigninghof-citdog.png

Out there for all to see.

The Cats
July 29th, 2017, 04:44 PM
.........entered the SoCon some GOOD academic schools quit the league. Richmond, William and Mary, and vmi were their names.......

ASU joined the SoCon in '71, while WCU, Chattanooga, and Marshall joined the league in 1976.

Richmond departed in 1975, East Carolina Departed in '77 as did W&M. Yeah, that great academic temple (EZU)

VMI did not depart the SoCon until 2003(they may have talked about it, but did not depart the league).

Let's see, the good academic schools that did not depart when WCU, Chattanooga, Marshall joined the league: Davidson, Furman, Citadel, VMI......

citdog
July 30th, 2017, 11:15 PM
ASU joined the SoCon in '71, while WCU, Chattanooga, and Marshall joined the league in 1976.

Richmond departed in 1975, East Carolina Departed in '77 as did W&M. Yeah, that great academic temple (EZU)

VMI did not depart the SoCon until 2003(they may have talked about it, but did not depart the league).

Let's see, the good academic schools that did not depart when WCU, Chattanooga, Marshall joined the league: Davidson, Furman, Citadel, VMI......

You should probably learn to read.

'wcu'87 I am an EXPENSIVE hooker. Not doxxing myself here for ANY mountain GAYBOY to see.

Catamount87
July 31st, 2017, 09:19 AM
You should probably learn to read.

'wcu'87 I am an EXPENSIVE hooker. Not doxxing myself here for ANY mountain GAYBOY to see.

It's good to know that you have used that keen intellect, quick wit and superior education from such a fine institution to further yourself, to be an exemplary alumnus, to be a beacon of honor, to be an inspirational leader of men, and to be a great benefit to all of mankind (Oh way, you don't swing from that side of the plate, so I guess “benefit” womankind, we hope and pray not to children.)