PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Patsy Ratings: Georgetown

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2017, 02:44 PM
https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-2017-patsy-ratings-t4-georgetown.html

THE RANKINGS (WITH 4 To Go):

T4. Georgetown - 54
6. Bucknell - 53
7. Colgate - 48

Fordham
July 16th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Good stuff. Nice work, Gtown. Sgarlata continues to overachieve. How long until he is looking for greener pastures? DFW, what's the word? is he happy there and a lifer? Or is he likely to move on soon?

RichH2
July 16th, 2017, 03:54 PM
He has done remarkably with almost no funding. The QB recruit,albeit starless, looks talented. Hoyas may have some depth this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Like many I was impressed with their haul.

CFBfan
July 17th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Good stuff. Nice work, Gtown. Sgarlata continues to overachieve. How long until he is looking for greener pastures? DFW, what's the word? is he happy there and a lifer? Or is he likely to move on soon?

i believe that gtown is his dream location so he may be a lifer, played there and never left

RichH2
July 17th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Good for both. Hopefully he will get some help from the Admin going forward.

Sader87
July 17th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry, just find it hard to believe that GTown without scholarships had a bettah overall class than a school like Colgate with a full complement of football scholarships.

RichH2
July 18th, 2017, 06:55 AM
On paper Sader , on paper. The real point is that Hoyas actually have a very good class. Better than Gate? Only time willl tell. :)

Sader87
July 18th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I dunno....they may have a good class (for GTown anyway) but it's hard to see how a recruiting class that didn't receive full football scholarships could be bettah overall than one that did......isn't this why the PL went to scholarships in the first place?

RichH2
July 18th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Yup. Recruiting is always hits and misses. All Patsy measures is team need matched with class arriving. Stars and mentions on national sites only objective info available to see hos HC did this time. There are recruits with multiple stars that never see the field. Numerous unstarred players who earn All PL and even A-A status. Ratings have little individual predictive accuracy. However, historically teams with better Patsy scores do tend to do much better in PL standings down the road.

van
July 18th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I really believe that we are getting a lot of the same kids we would have gotten before scholarships, the difference being maybe 3 or 4 guys that would have gone elsewhere. We still have an emphasis on academics and not every HS football player is going to qualify on that score. Once (or if) the league strengthens and is more competitive with CAA I expect to win some more head to head recruiting battles with places like Nova, W&M, Richmond, etc.

OK, now time for Citpup to chime in

Andy
July 18th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Probably the highest ranked school in the conference, in an awesome urban setting can do pretty darn well with need based aid. They just need a bit more of it.

RichH2
July 18th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Probably the highest ranked school in the conference, in an awesome urban setting can do pretty darn well with need based aid. They just need a bit more of it.
Yup. IIR , DFW noted a while ago that total need added up to about 20 or so schollies. May be somewhat higher now. DFW may know.
Said a while back that Hoyas with 40 equivalencies could compete very well in PL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I dunno....they may have a good class (for GTown anyway) but it's hard to see how a recruiting class that didn't receive full football scholarships could be bettah overall than one that did......isn't this why the PL went to scholarships in the first place?

Full scholarships guarantee you nothing. There's plenty of terrible scholarships programs out there. Georgetown could easily compete with a scholarship PL if they commit to their facility and offer a limited number of schollies, say 20-25. Like Andy mentioned, no offense to the other schools in the PL, but Georgetown is the most highly regarded and I don't think it's close.

RichH2
July 18th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Full scholarships guarantee you nothing. There's plenty of terrible scholarships programs out there. Georgetown could easily compete with a scholarship PL if they commit to their facility and offer a limited number of schollies, say 20-25. Like Andy mentioned, no offense to the other schools in the PL, but Georgetown is the most highly regarded and I don't think it's close.

Agree to a point. van likely correct that we are recruiting are mostly the same. Results tho are much better. Are all our recruits ones the we wouldnt have gotten eatlier? No. But we are getting a lot more of these now. Just look at current verbals. All but 2 hold multiple offers including FBS. We are only just under half way done.

ngineer
July 18th, 2017, 08:04 PM

Just because a kid gets a scholarship as opposed to a liberal grant-in-aid doesn't mean he's better.

ngineer
July 18th, 2017, 08:06 PM

Yes. I've said several times before on this Board that Georgetown is the "sleeping giant". With their national footprint in academics they will get a lot of interest from those who don't need a full ride or even a partial ride. IF G'town ever committed to football they could build a real powerhouse.

Sader87
July 18th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Again though....Georgetown IS NOT giving full football scholarships (unlike the other PL schools)....this is not a hard concept to wrap your heads around fellas

Sader87
July 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Not to harp on Georgetown's futility...but just how good have they been going non-scholarship?

Gater
July 18th, 2017, 10:00 PM
This might be a good time to discuss potential candidates for Patriot League expansion.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 18th, 2017, 10:22 PM
This might be a good time to discuss potential candidates for Patriot League expansion.

If Loyola restarts football, they could compete in the "Battle of Baltimore", just sayin'

Go...gate
July 18th, 2017, 11:21 PM
PL expansion speculation has certainly quieted down.

van
July 19th, 2017, 05:54 AM

no need to discuss, good candidates are not currently interested, don't need candidates that are not good

CFBfan
July 19th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Not to harp on Georgetown's futility...but just how good have they been going non-scholarship?
no worse than holy cross....

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2017, 08:09 AM
A few years ago I was looking at "expansion candidates" and I kept going back to the best possible candidates: Loyola and Boston U., who already have facilities and are Patriot League members. There's no question they could do it. The issue is the lack of will of athletics and students to push for a team against their misguided faculty.

RichH2
July 19th, 2017, 09:19 AM
no need to discuss, good candidates are not currently interested, don't need candidates that are not good

So agree. Please lets not dig up this dead horse again. If you eant to get the gist just go back there are literally hundreds of posts on multiple threads going back yrs.

Gater
July 19th, 2017, 11:52 AM
This might be a good time to see how the Lafayette-UNH game is going.

Sader87
July 19th, 2017, 12:30 PM
no worse than holy cross....

Touche.....our biggest problem lately lies elsewhere....

carney2
July 19th, 2017, 01:58 PM
So agree. Please lets not dig up this dead horse again. If you want to get the gist just go back there are literally hundreds of posts on multiple threads going back yrs.

It grieves me to agree with a brown shirt, but, please, no more of this. There are only a handful (with missing fingers) of legitimately good candidates. Beyond that there is absolute garbage. If left to their own devices, the Patriot League fathers and mothers will grab some dog dirt out of that second pile. They've proven it by doing it twice already.

ngineer
July 19th, 2017, 07:00 PM
This might be a good time to discuss potential candidates for Patriot League expansion.xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox