PDA

View Full Version : Football Camp stories- lets hear em!!

Bucs2016
July 14th, 2017, 05:58 PM
I know several here played in college and many more in high school. Im sad to hear 2 a days are now banned. Football camp was such a gut check character builder. Anyway....lets hear em. Camp stories. Worst moments. Most satisfying. Etc etc. A few of mine:

Worst: Freshman year CSU. 2 a days w a 3rd special teams "walk through" in between. I got severe shin splints in both legs and a fracture in wrist. It was an infamous "clean house" year so it was a time where you'd better perform or you're headed home next semester. Combined w Charleston heat and a staff looking to weed out the weak...i literally stared at ceiling of my dorm and contemplated quitting every night.

Best: EVERY Oklahoma drill. God **** those were fun and intense.

Odd: Gatorade for lunch. We had about an hour and a half between morning practice and lunch. Immediately followed by meetings for film then special teams etc etc. Many days it was skip lunch and lay in the dorm drinking Gatorade for lunch bc you were too tired to eat, too hot to leave the AC. Those hour naps between practices were pure gold! And one year I had this weird obsession in camp with YooHoo and Sunkist canned drinks. I downed a dozen a day then never wanted them again after camp!

In high school....we camped by sleeping in the cafeteria for 2 weeks of 2 a days. The glory days haha! The final night the coaches took us all to the Fish Camp. For you yankees a Fish Camp is any mom and pop seafood place down here where everything is fried, everyone knows each other and the plates/utensils are prison quality. But its the best seafood you'll ever eat! That night w all my old HS teammates and the pure excitement of the new season...life long memory.

So many more to add. What are some of yalls?

ASU33
July 14th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Worst: Freshman year at ASU all-conference and future NFL player Chad Lucas took me to school during 7-on-7. I swear he caught like 6 passes for like 80+ yards and killed all the confidence that I had. Coach Peirce, my DC came to me after the drill and said "Hell son I was thinking you were too good to redshirt, now I have my questions". Worst first day EVER!

2nd Worst: Being called in the office and being told that I was moving from corner to safety. I cried that whole night.

Best: 1st scrimmage and had 2 "whoo licks" and made several plays and our head coach pull me to the side and told me that this was EXACTLY why he recruited me.

2nd: Best seeing my name listed at the top of the depth chart at strong safety as a true freshman right as camp ended.

Bucs2016
July 14th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Worst: Freshman year at ASU all-conference and future NFL player Chad Lucas took me to school during 7-on-7. I swear he caught like 6 passes for like 80+ yards and killed all the confidence that I had. Coach Peirce, my DC came to me after the drill and said "Hell son I was thinking you were too good to redshirt, now I have my questions". Worst first day EVER!

2nd Worst: Being called in the office and being told that I was moving from corner to safety. I cried that whole night.

Best: 1st scrimmage and had 2 "whoo licks" and made several plays and our head coach pull me to the side and told me that this was EXACTLY why he recruited me.

2nd: Best seeing my name listed at the top of the depth chart at strong safety as a true freshman right as camp ended.

Oh yeah those are good ones. When I arrived everyone said a freshmans goal should be making the travel team. It meant obviously you got to dress for all games as a freshman. I was initially a walk on (ended up a starter) so that first year I just wanted to survive camp! Lo and behold after pouring my soul into it that first few weeks...when they had the firsr special teams practice they called out my name to midfield for kickoff return team as a "wall" guy. I was in disbelief and realized id be actually playing as a freshman! I swear it was like winning the Heisman to me haha!!! First game we took the ball so I was on the field for play 1 game 1 of my freshman year. For me that was a huge accomplishment. Got the holy hell knocked out of me on that 1st play but dammit I was on the field!

Lowlight.....Jr year I beat out everyone for starting spot at DE. Outplayed em. They brought in 2 far higher profile JUCO guys (after all I showed up as a walk on). I out played em and was 1st team all camp. Game week arrived. I was given a gold practice jersey in my locker, which is the SCOUT TEAM. With no explanation at all within 24 hours went from 1st team to scout team. Had good grades. Never disciplined off field. Coach wouldnt even speak to me about it. By mid year I was back in the 2 deep and started the final few games and all of my Sr year. Assistant coach left program after that year and never found out what happened. Bothers me to this day But its a life lesson that has served me well. Sometimes you just get screwed and you have no choice but to fight your way back or quit.

Bucs2016
July 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
ASU33 thats impressive starting as a true freshman. Div 1 football is no joke and no matter how great a HS player is thats a huge jump. Well done!

Bisonoline
July 14th, 2017, 08:53 PM
My sophomore year at Iowa. Two a days under out new head coach was brutal. No regular water breaks. Everything was full contact all the time and that extended though to the regular season.

About 7 days in to the 10-14 days of two a days the senior center that Iam battling for the starting spot goes down with a lower back injury.
SOooooo now there is jut me and a 3rd teamer who was really a guard are the only centers. As we get done with cal and break down in to position drills I am informed that I will be the center for the 1s and 2s for all the drills. So after one drill I have to run back and be the center for the 2s while everyone gets a break. This went on all practice including scrimmage. Longest practice of my life.

Did I mention that when I showed up for camp I was 220. Our new head coach thought I was too heavy and put me on the fatmans table. When we went to Ohio State for out first game of the year he had me down to 199.

Speaking of the fatmans table we had a guy Named Wendell Bell from LA. He was 3 bills easy. So they had Wendell on the fatmans table but he wasnt losing any weight. After about 7 days they were wondering WTF so they had a coach watch him. After dinner we usually had some free time after training room treatments. After treatments Wendell would use the Pay Phone and call the local Pizza joint and have them deliver it 4 blocks away at a park down by the river. The coaches finally figure it out and have a coach hiding in the tall bushes. Just like clock work Wendell shows up and 5 minutes later here comes the pizza guy. So Wendell is eating his pizza and the coach steps out of the bushes and says--damn Wendell that looks pretty good. Wendell with out missing a beats says---you want some. Coach says yeah. As the coach eats a piece of Wendells pizza--- Wendell says---pretty good huh. Coach says Yep. Wendell then says--- Im in big trouble aint I? the coach says Yep as hes eating Wendells pizza. The coach gets up to leave and Wendell asks--you want some more pizza? Coach goes no thanks Im trying to lose some weight and keeps walking.
Of course Wendell gets no sleep that night.
Next day we all get up and go to breakfast. As the wait staff brings everyone their breakfast except for Wendell.
Wendell is sitting there not saying anything----when all of a sudden the doors open and it the pizza delivery guy with a pizza. All of the coaches are sitting there with a big smile on there face. They all get up and surround Wendell and make him eat this ginormous pizza all the while they are yelling at him. After he eats it the coaches then explain to all of us what has happened and that Wendell is going to have a very rough day. I think Wendell made it through 30 minutes of practice before he blew chow with the coaches yelling at him and asking how that pizza tasted the second time around.xlolx

ASU33
July 14th, 2017, 09:14 PM
ASU33 thats impressive starting as a true freshman. Div 1 football is no joke and no matter how great a HS player is thats a huge jump. Well done!

Believe it or not I told myself that was done with football after high school and my goal was to play basketball in college. I came out of college at 6'3 190 pounds and played corner, receiver, and quarterback in high school. In high school I was all-state in both basketball and football but I noticed that by my junior year that my basketball offers came in a lot slower than my football offers. During my sophomore year I turn down quite a few football camps during the summer to play AAU basketball and to go to basketball camps. The problem in basketball was that I was a 6'3 guard/forward so no real big time schools offered me despite me being a 3 year starter on the varsity basketball team. I was actually considering walking-on to the basketball team at LSU instead of playing football. Most of the FBS offers that I got were from schools far away like Tulsa, Marshall, Fresno State and ect. and I didn't want to go play so far away that my parents couldn't see me play on a regular basis. I was about to sign with Tulane but I wanted to get away from home, plus both of my parents were professors there so that was a no. Alabama State came with not only a scholarship but Coach Spivery offered me a walk-on spot with the basketball team. So I actually played on the basketball team during the 2003-04 and 2004-2005 seasons. I guess football worked out best because I was a 1st team All-Conference guy three years at ASU and basketball wise I only played maybe 5-6 minutes per game.

TheKingpin28
July 14th, 2017, 09:37 PM
My sophomore year at Iowa. Two a days under out new head coach was brutal. No regular water breaks. Everything was full contact all the time and that extended though to the regular season.

About 7 days in to the 10-14 days of two a days the senior center that Iam battling for the starting spot goes down with a lower back injury.
SOooooo now there is jut me and a 3rd teamer who was really a guard are the only centers. As we get done with cal and break down in to position drills I am informed that I will be the center for the 1s and 2s for all the drills. So after one drill I have to run back and be the center for the 2s while everyone gets a break. This went on all practice including scrimmage. Longest practice of my life.

Did I mention that when I showed up for camp I was 220. Our new head coach thought I was too heavy and put me on the fatmans table. When we went to Ohio State for out first game of the year he had me down to 199.

Speaking of the fatmans table we had a guy Named Wendell Bell from LA. He was 3 bills easy. So they had Wendell on the fatmans table but he wasnt losing any weight. After about 7 days they were wondering WTF so they had a coach watch him. After dinner we usually had some free time after training room treatments. After treatments Wendell would use the Pay Phone and call the local Pizza joint and have them deliver it 4 blocks away at a park down by the river. The coaches finally figure it out and have a coach hiding in the tall bushes. Just like clock work Wendell shows up and 5 minutes later here comes the pizza guy. So Wendell is eating his pizza and the coach steps out of the bushes and says--damn Wendell that looks pretty good. Wendell with out missing a beats says---you want some. Coach says yeah. As the coach eats a piece of Wendells pizza--- Wendell says---pretty good huh. Coach says Yep. Wendell then says--- Im in big trouble aint I? the coach says Yep as hes eating Wendells pizza. The coach gets up to leave and Wendell asks--you want some more pizza? Coach goes no thanks Im trying to lose some weight and keeps walking.
Next day we all get up and go to breakfast. As the wait staff brings everyone their breakfast except for Wendell.
Wendell is sitting there not saying anything----when all of a sudden the doors open and it the pizza delivery guy with a pizza. All of the coaches are sitting there with a big smile on there face. They all get up and surround Wendell and make him eat this ginormous pizza all the while they are yelling at him. After he eats it the coaches then explain to all of us what has happened and that Wendell is going to have a very rough day. I think Wendell made it through 30 minutes of practice before he blew chow with the coaches yelling at him and asking how that pizza tasted the second time around.xlolx

I was cracking up right where the bolded part is, and I could not control it by the underlined part.

cx500d
July 14th, 2017, 09:48 PM

I have a similar story, but it wasn't football, it involved a marine drill instructor, about 1 cubic feet of red gummi worms, and an ambulance ride to the hospital after an unaware person saw the person that was force fed the gummy worms puking them up, saw the puke was deep red and thought the guy was puking blood and called for an ambulance.

Back to your story though, I thought you were going to say the coaches name was Mr. Hand.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
July 14th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I have a similar story, but it wasn't football, it involved a marine drill instructor, about 1 cubic feet of red gummi worms, and an ambulance ride to the hospital after an unaware person saw the person that was force fed the gummy worms puking them up, saw the puke was deep red and thought the guy was puking blood and called for an ambulance.

Back to your story though, I thought you were going to say the coaches name was Mr. Hand.

:Dxthumbsupx

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2017, 01:47 AM

That guys a DICK! :D

Laker
July 15th, 2017, 07:16 AM
HS story- as a sophomore, we had a team that was picked to win the title and the new coach managed to screw things up to go 4-5. Just an idiot. I was an end- pass patterns were like the deep flag- 17-19 yards. Well, you simply don't have the protection time for that route. Anyway- the next year we might have been the worst team in the state. 0-9, only scored 4 TDs all season. One summer practice during the county fair he moved it to 3 PM so he could go to the Big Kitty Wells Show that night. SIX people showed up. Now, you think that he would have done something fun, or given more water breaks. Nope, we got one an hour into practice and that was it. He took it out on us. When it was over, he said, "Now we know who wants to play football!" Well, he didn't do any punishment to those who skipped practice. Oddly, he wasn't even the worst coach that I ever had- that goes to my basketball coach my senior year. But that is another story.

Bucs2016
July 15th, 2017, 07:27 AM
HS story- as a sophomore, we had a team that was picked to win the title and the new coach managed to screw things up to go 4-5. Just an idiot. I was an end- pass patterns were like the deep flag- 17-19 yards. Well, you simply don't have the protection time for that route. Anyway- the next year we might have been the worst team in the state. 0-9, only scored 4 TDs all season. One summer practice during the county fair he moved it to 3 PM so he could go to the Big Kitty Wells Show that night. SIX people showed up. Now, you think that he would have done something fun, or given more water breaks. Nope, we got one an hour into practice and that was it. He took it out on us. When it was over, he said, "Now we know who wants to play football!" Well, he didn't do any punishment to those who skipped practice. Oddly, he wasn't even the worst coach that I ever had- that goes to my basketball coach my senior year. But that is another story.

Haha thats a good one

Bucs2016
July 15th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Man Im loving these stories.

Ok so how about this one. Yall all know what I'm talking about......when you're mid football camp and you see the girls on the medical staff or the w-soccer/volleyball team shows up for camp and you see a girl and shes normally like a 5...but you're thinking shes an 8 or 9 at the moment! A "camp 8"!

We were on lockdown in the dorms in camp. Almost no time or energy at all to do anything. But on Sundays we had 5 or 6 hours free and we'd go to the mall or WalMart. You'd see chicks who were average at best but camp I be like DAAAANG girl!!!

Laker
July 15th, 2017, 08:38 AM

Ok so how about this one. Yall all know what I'm talking about......when you're mid football camp and you see the girls on the medical staff or the w-soccer/volleyball team shows up for camp and you see a girl and shes normally like a 5...but you're thinking shes an 8 or 9 at the moment! A "camp 8"!

We were on lockdown in the dorms in camp. Almost no time or energy at all to do anything. But on Sundays we had 5 or 6 hours free and we'd go to the mall or WalMart. You'd see chicks who were average at best but camp I be like DAAAANG girl!!!

That would be the Renville County Fair. Our 212 Conference had 8 teams, all along Highway 212. 6 of them were in the county, another bordered it. So after two a days we would head for the fair & compare camp stories and how sore we were with the other players. As you said, the girls looked so much better for some reason. So you stayed until midnight and had a heck of a time making it to practice at 6 AM the next morning.

ASU33
July 15th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Funniest: Had to be at Mississippi State our coaches called anything bad 3-9. So if you did something with no effort or badly they'd say "that's real 3 and 9-ish". During one of our DB drills one of the freshmen DBs hit 3 cones while completing the W-drill. Coach Harbison shouted "son that's 3 and 9 bulls##t" and the freshman responded with "what does that mean coach?" Coach stated that 3 and 9 was our record last year and that it meant poor effort. The freshman responded to Coach Harb, "coach I know you don't care about poor effort or being mediocre because I've seen your spouse." All of us died laughing and Coach Harb ran the safeties to death during the entire individual period. I swear I almost died from laughing.

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Worst/Best- Worst then, now it is best....I graduated HS at 17 and a knee surgery my senior year so I opted to go to Fork Union for a PG year. John Shuman was (and still is) the Head coach. HE was an old school Jersey Guy that went to VMI. Tough as nails. We kindly referred to him as In-human Shuman. It was drop off day, I said bye to my parents at 1pm and was on the field in full pads at 1:45pm....We had 3 a days, and the field was mostly gravel and dust (drought year in VA). So on the 4th day, we goon a bus and went to scrimmage the Newport News Shipbuilding Academy. We knew 3 plays. Remember I was still 17 and the youngest guy on their team was about 24. We scored on about every other play (we had 28 D1 schollys on that team) because we had a ton of talent, but those MEN whooped that crap out of us BOYS everywhere but the scoreboard. After the game, we went into their gym and had BBQ with them (and their wives and kids). They floated about 4 kegs that day and our coaches were watching us like hawks...

Two other incidents that speak to Shuman's sadistic ways... We were playing the JVs at Navy and the halftime horn blows, we turn to run towards the field house....Shuman blows his whistle...and says, "I'm not getting enough effort out of you guys, so like up." And we ran 15 minutes of gassers at half time. The second time was at Georgia Southern when we went 11 on 11 100% full go at halftime and for about an hour after the game.

If nothing else, we were tough when we left there, two a days the next year were a breeze.

ST_Lawson
July 15th, 2017, 09:47 AM

I never did football, but have had a similar experience. I marched with a Drum and Bugle Corps for 7 years during summers (think professional-level marching band), so for 3 months you tour around the country, living on buses and sleeping on gym floors, doing everything with the same group of people and getting to see very little of the outside world. Like you said, you start getting a month or so into the summer, and that mellophone-playing girl who was a 5 at the start of the season...like you said...she's pushin' 8-9. Our term for it..."tour goggles".

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Nothing like cruising the Mall with a camp tan...4" above the ankle up to the knee. I'm not a particularly hairy man, but my buds were....how about the guys with the serious bear suit, and the shaved ankles and wrist for tape. Nothing says, "Hey Ladies!!!" like a partially shaved leg in flip flops.

Bisonoline
July 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Nothing like cruising the Mall with a camp tan...4" above the ankle up to the knee. I'm not a particularly hairy man, but my buds were....how about the guys with the serious bear suit, and the shaved ankles and wrist for tape. Nothing says, "Hey Ladies!!!" like a partially shaved leg in flip flops.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

To this day I have very little hair there now.

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Not a camp story, but one of my favorites....Going into my last year, we had Pro-day. Back then about 6-8 scouts would show up and Everybody lined up to go through drills, lift and run. I was pretty strong and had a great first session in the weight room, then we went out to the field to run drills. My feet arent bad, but on the second step, I'm as fast as I'm going to be. A guy from the Chiefs was timing andI step up to run the 40. As I cross, he yells my name (taped on my helmet), and I excitedly jog up and say, "Yes Sir?" HE says, "You have deceptive speed." I start to beam....and he follows up with, "you look slow, but the watch says you are slower than you look." I HATE THE CHIEFS!!!!! HAha. Come to find out he was a friend of my dads and they had planned it....I'm not saying his statement wasn't correct, but it was planned!!!!

Bisonoline
July 15th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I never did football, but have had a similar experience. I marched with a Drum and Bugle Corps for 7 years during summers (think professional-level marching band), so for 3 months you tour around the country, living on buses and sleeping on gym floors, doing everything with the same group of people and getting to see very little of the outside world. Like you said, you start getting a month or so into the summer, and that mellophone-playing girl who was a 5 at the start of the season...like you said...she's pushin' 8-9. Our term for it..."tour goggles".

At Iowa the marching band used to show up about half way through our two a days. They had the field right next to us and who ever put them through there paces worked them to death marching. They would stop and somebody would run around with a measuring stick to make sure they were spaced correctly. Now remember that the temps were in the high 90s to 100 with humidity so there would always be some band members who would pass out.

When that happened somebody would always yell out "another one bites the dust" at which time the band would give us a dirty look. xlolx

caribbeanhen
July 15th, 2017, 10:55 AM

you never let on once you played for Dave Brock....what a dunce

caribbeanhen
July 15th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Funniest: Had to be at Mississippi State our coaches called anything bad 3-9. So if you did something with no effort or badly they'd say "that's real 3 and 9-ish". During one of our DB drills one of the freshmen DBs hit 3 cones while completing the W-drill. Coach Harbison shouted "son that's 3 and 9 bulls##t" and the freshman responded with "what does that mean coach?" Coach stated that 3 and 9 was our record last year and that it meant poor effort. The freshman responded to Coach Harb, "coach I know you don't care about poor effort or being mediocre because I've seen your spouse." All of us died laughing and Coach Harb ran the safeties to death during the entire individual period. I swear I almost died from laughing.

oh man, I'm laughing .... haha

let me guess, this player has serious talent and knew he could loaf a bit in practice because he was to good not to play???

almost sounds like he might of used that line in high school

ST_Lawson
July 15th, 2017, 11:14 AM
At Iowa the marching band used to show up about half way through our two a days. They had the field right next to us and who ever put them through there paces worked them to death marching. They would stop and somebody would run around with a measuring stick to make sure they were spaced correctly. Now remember that the temps were in the high 90s to 100 with humidity so there would always be some band members who would pass out.

When that happened somebody would always yell out "another one bites the dust" at which time the band would give us a dirty look. xlolx

That's kinda like drum corps, except a typical non-show day schedule would pretty much be 8 AM to 11 PM, hour breaks at noon and at ~5 PM for meals. 3-minute water breaks every 20-30 minutes depending on the weather. I marched with a corps out of Dubuque, so I'm well familiar with Iowa summers. The beginning of the season was essentially 2 straight weeks of that schedule before you'd go on tour for shows around the country. If you were at all overweight at the start of the summer, you would most definitely not be by the end of what we called "Cornfield Tour".

ASU33
July 15th, 2017, 11:23 AM

let me guess, this player has serious talent and knew he could loaf a bit in practice because he was to good not to play???

Yep. Kid was an ESPN rated guy who could've gone anywhere in the country.

Schism55
July 15th, 2017, 03:05 PM
This one time...
At band camp....
I put a flute in my

Milktruck74
July 15th, 2017, 06:27 PM
^^^^ I knew that was coming!!!

Bucs2016
July 16th, 2017, 10:23 AM

Oh God that reminds me of one of our coaches. If he thought you werent giving it all...he asked the magic question, calmly: "Is that as hard as you can go"???? Only 2 answers are yes or no and he'd explode in response:

No = "NO!!! YOU'RE HALF ASSING!!! EVERYONE GET EM CHOPPIN" (chop feet for up & downs)
Yes = "Yes???? Holy ****...we failed in recruiting! Time to make room for some new ones. Get em chopping lets see who wants to quit" (again...up downs)

It was the most North Korean question he could ask. All answers end in punishment. Ugh.

JSUSoutherner
July 16th, 2017, 10:43 AM
That's kinda like drum corps, except a typical non-show day schedule would pretty much be 8 AM to 11 PM, hour breaks at noon and at ~5 PM for meals. 3-minute water breaks every 20-30 minutes depending on the weather. I marched with a corps out of Dubuque, so I'm well familiar with Iowa summers. The beginning of the season was essentially 2 straight weeks of that schedule before you'd go on tour for shows around the country. If you were at all overweight at the start of the summer, you would most definitely not be by the end of what we called "Cornfield Tour".
Da Colts.

Is Debuque closer to WIU than Rockford and Rosemont?

ST_Lawson
July 16th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Da Colts.

Is Debuque closer to WIU than Rockford and Rosemont?

Dubuque is about the same distance as Rockford, but closer than Rosemont. My other choice was actually Madison, but I was dating a girl at the time who was in the guard of the first corps I marched with. She couldn't march Madison or Cavaliers, and we weren't huge fans of Phantom at the time, so we went to the Colts. I loved it there, so I marched for all 5 years until I aged out.

JSUSoutherner
July 16th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Dubuque is about the same distance as Rockford, but closer than Rosemont. My other choice was actually Madison, but I was dating a girl at the time who was in the guard of the first corps I marched with. She couldn't march Madison or Cavaliers, and we weren't huge fans of Phantom at the time, so we went to the Colts. I loved it there, so I marched for all 5 years until I aged out.

Fair enough, what year was your age out?

Panther88
July 16th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Oh yeah those are good ones. When I arrived everyone said a freshmans goal should be making the travel team. It meant obviously you got to dress for all games as a freshman. I was initially a walk on (ended up a starter) so that first year I just wanted to survive camp! Lo and behold after pouring my soul into it that first few weeks...when they had the firsr special teams practice they called out my name to midfield for kickoff return team as a "wall" guy. I was in disbelief and realized id be actually playing as a freshman! I swear it was like winning the Heisman to me haha!!! First game we took the ball so I was on the field for play 1 game 1 of my freshman year. For me that was a huge accomplishment. Got the holy hell knocked out of me on that 1st play but dammit I was on the field!

Lowlight.....Jr year I beat out everyone for starting spot at DE. Outplayed em. They brought in 2 far higher profile JUCO guys (after all I showed up as a walk on). I out played em and was 1st team all camp. Game week arrived. I was given a gold practice jersey in my locker, which is the SCOUT TEAM. With no explanation at all within 24 hours went from 1st team to scout team. Had good grades. Never disciplined off field. Coach wouldnt even speak to me about it. By mid year I was back in the 2 deep and started the final few games and all of my Sr year. Assistant coach left program after that year and never found out what happened. Bothers me to this day But its a life lesson that has served me well. Sometimes you just get screwed and you have no choice but to fight your way back or quit.

Sorry for that. Brings back slightly bad memories for me. It's amazing how a coaching obstacle can literally throw a fork in personal direction as we matriculate in our lives. :(

Best (decently) was HS: Grades 9-12, rode a bicycle exactly 5.2 miles from home to HS for early 8am on the field practice until 11am+/noonish where we went LIVE hitting all the time[3 week camp: 1 week shorts/tee/helmet-learning; 2 weeks hitting].
Left morning practice and rode bike back home to rest/watch tv for ~2-3 hrs. Rode bicycle BACK to hs for evening practice that started on the field promptly @ 4pm until 7...8... and few 9pms :D . Rode bicycle back home immediately after evening practice. It was a "gang" of us (cousins, friends) who rode to/fro together. None of us ever got hurt in practice while hitting, remarkably. I purchased my '68 dodge @ 15 and although I had a car, I still chose to ride the Schwinn everywhere instead of driving. Certainly helped out because I never came off the field during games lol xlolx [2-way starter].

Worst but best AND is considered my lowest time, college: I was a hs blue-chipper starting my jr yr after leading my team to the quarterfinals of the tx big-class championship while @ qb. I received numerous offers to play @ then D-IA, D-IAA, and D-II schools as a WR, SS, & FS but not as a qb (was told that I was too short @ 6'0"). My most coveted D-IA offer was from UCLA (maternal uncle was a coach there and pulled that string).
I shunned all football schol offers my sr yr hs and opted to be a normal student, for once, w/ an academic schol. I was semi-depressed as I adjusted to go from hon mention all-state/2x all-region/2x all distr/2x all-county qb to seemingly nothing because Barry Switzer or his staff didn't come save me. I wanted to be the next JC Watts or Jamele Holieway :( . I didn't play ball for 3 yrs post HS and simply chose to lift weights, get bigger and stronger, and leave football to itself [went from 175lbs to 225lbs]. Start of my sr yr, a PV coach asked me to walk on when he saw me effortlessly lifting 3-plates each side and I practiced for 2 days @ SS until the DB coach said this: "You packed on a lot of weight since April and seems like you're committed to getting stronger... you juicing?" I couldn't lie. 3 months prior while interning in the CMH, I hooked up w/ a ****** who gave me some stuff to help get me over a hump I was in and he even sent some "stuff" to my dorm room in tx. We were dedicated lifting partners @ the local Scandinanvian gym 3-4X weekly while I was there and hung out @ certain bars on High St arbitrarily. I was kicked off the team and I stopped taking that stuff too. [roid rage is real :( ]

Laker
July 16th, 2017, 01:12 PM
My Dad didn't want me to go out for football. 9th grade didn't start until school did so I was OK with getting picked up after practice. But in 10th grade I had to bike to practice both morning and night three miles one way for two a days. One night I rolled an ankle- coach just said to keep practicing. I had a heck of a time biking home. The next day it was swelled like a goose egg. Lucky for me it was when the band was performing at the county fair. I showed it to him when I came back- he was one of those guys who said that injuries were all in your mind. Hard to believe that someone's head could be stuck so far up his ass that he could see his tonsils.

JSUSoutherner
July 16th, 2017, 01:15 PM
My Dad didn't want me to go out for football. 9th grade didn't start until school did so I was OK with getting picked up after practice. But in 10th grade I had to bike to practice both morning and night three miles one way for two a days. One night I rolled an ankle- coach just said to keep practicing. I had a heck of a time biking home. The next day it was swelled like a goose egg. Lucky for me it was when the band was performing at the county fair. I showed it to him when I came back- he was one of those guys who said that injuries were all in your mind. Hard to believe that someone's head could be stuck so far up his ass that he could see his tonsils.

*Player's arm gets chopped off*

Player: "Help! My arm got chopped off!"

Coach: "FAKE NEWS!" :D

ST_Lawson
July 16th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Fair enough, what year was your age out?

2000, we were in finals 3 of the 5 years I was with Colts ('96, '98, and '99)

UAalum72
July 16th, 2017, 02:19 PM
*Player's arm gets chopped off*

Player: "Help! My arm got chopped off!"

Coach: "FAKE NEWS!" :D
From the Black Knight School of Motivation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

Laker
July 16th, 2017, 03:46 PM
From the Black Knight School of Motivation?

We'll call it a draw!

Bisonoline
July 16th, 2017, 08:43 PM

La Crosse had a pretty good bugle and drum corps back in my days there.

ST_Lawson
July 16th, 2017, 10:11 PM
La Crosse had a pretty good bugle and drum corps back in my days there.

Yup, Blue Stars...they're still around. They were really good back in the early 70s (national championship runner-ups in '72), dropped off a bit for a while, even down a division, but have worked their way back up and are pretty decent again now.

JSUSoutherner
July 16th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Yup, Blue Stars...they're still around. They were really good back in the early 70s (national championship runner-ups in '72), dropped off a bit for a while, even down a division, but have worked their way back up and are pretty decent again now.

Theyre a top 12 corps last I checked. A buddy of mine marched with them last season. He's marching with the Cavies now.

ST_Lawson
July 16th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Theyre a top 12 corps last I checked. A buddy of mine marched with them last season. He's marching with the Cavies now.

Yup, usually top 12 in the last decade or so.

jmufan999
July 17th, 2017, 08:51 AM
my true freshman year at Ohio State. I was in line to be the starting QB but I got in a motorcycle accident the day before camp opened. It was initially thought that I would lose the leg, but I was able to limit the bleeding with a pack of Twizzlers and a stapler. Thank God I always had Twizzlers and a stapler handy. Anyway, I lost the job but women flocked to me for the next four years. I was batting them away with a stick (not literally, that would be mean). I ended up marrying a supermodel from Sweden who was already a multi-millionaire. Interestingly, she wanted an open relationship, so that seemed cool with me. Really, she just prefers that I be with other women, she never wants to be with other guys. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go shop for a new Maserati.

JSUSoutherner
July 17th, 2017, 09:18 AM
my true freshman year at Ohio State. I was in line to be the starting QB but I got in a motorcycle accident the day before camp opened. It was initially thought that I would lose the leg, but I was able to limit the bleeding with a pack of Twizzlers and a stapler. Thank God I always had Twizzlers and a stapler handy. Anyway, I lost the job but women flocked to me for the next four years. I was batting them away with a stick (not literally, that would be mean). I ended up marrying a supermodel from Sweden who was already a multi-millionaire. Interestingly, she wanted an open relationship, so that seemed cool with me. Really, she just prefers that I be with other women, she never wants to be with other guys. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go shop for a new Maserati.

Who doesn't ride their motorcycle with a stapler? That's Un-American.

cx500d
July 17th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Not really a fan of twizzlers, it's like eating vinyl. I much prefer red vines and black vines, not for eating, substituting for quick clot, or tying to heterosexual for a makeshift tourniquet.

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2017, 10:37 PM

my Maserati does 185... Lifes been good to me so far......

NorthChuckSouth
July 27th, 2017, 05:16 PM

We called it Camp Goggles

Bucs2016
July 27th, 2017, 10:23 PM
We called it Camp Goggles

Bro i was in Russell West trying to camp goggle!

Milktruck74
July 28th, 2017, 07:26 AM

Dude, that is a GUYS dorm!!!!

ST_Lawson
July 28th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Dude, that is a GUYS dorm!!!!

Could be worse, for a minute I thought that was a guy.