PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Patsy Ratings: Colgate

Lehigh Football Nation
July 12th, 2017, 04:58 PM
https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-2017-patsy-ratings-no-7-colgate.html

THE RANKINGS (WITH 6 To Go):

7. Colgate - 48

RichH2
July 12th, 2017, 07:15 PM
On paper their quality is the DL and the 1 QB. Caveat for me is Gate always seem to have very solid classes.

carney2
July 13th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Dead last is never good, even if you object to the methodology. Can you tell us, LFN, how the Raiders did last year and the year before? Is this some sort of trend or just a one year wander?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 13th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Dead last is never good, even if you object to the methodology. Can you tell us, LFN, how the Raiders did last year and the year before? Is this some sort of trend or just a one year wander?

2016: T1 (with Lehigh):

57 points

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-2016-patsy-ratings-no-5-colgate.html

NOTABLE RECRUIT: QB Carmine Scarfone, ** QB, hasn't seen significant action yet

2015: No. 7

55 points

NOTABLE RECRUIT: QB Sage Atwood, ***, hasn't seen significant action yet

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-2015-patsy-ratings-colgates-class.html

2014: No. 4

76 points

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/02/patsy-ratings-colgates-class-of-2018.html

NOTABLE RECRUIT: DE Pat Afriye, likely preseason DPOY, 1 quality point (via 247Sports.com)

Hard to call it a trend. Though 2016's final Patsy place jumped around a ton as late announcements rolled in. I don't remember who, but initially they were 5th place but in the end tied for 1st.

RichH2
July 13th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Hunt got his QB for the future . Will not be surprised if he has picked up some starless gems

Lehigh'98
July 14th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the writeups LFN

TheValleyRaider
July 14th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Enjoyed the write-up, if not necessarily the rating ;)

Will be curious to see how this compares to other schools' numbers. Last is (probably) not good, but is it that far behind 6th? 1st? Is it a bad class, or a bad year?

I know these have been running for a while, a quick search of the AGS archives gets me to some original ratings from Carney in 2007 (xeekx). It would be fascinating to go back through these and try to match them up with what happened in League play. Sounds like a late-summer project...

Andy
July 14th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Whose commitment should a fan value more, which promises more impact on the program - the starting QB for PA in the Big33 game or a DE with a few stars? My answer is at odds with the rating system. Thanks for these, though. It's good to be out of the cellar in something! :)

RichH2
July 14th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Whose commitment should a fan value more, which promises more impact on the program - the starting QB for PA in the Big33 game or a DE with a few stars? My answer is at odds with the rating system. Thanks for these, though. It's good to be out of the cellar in something! :)
At this point the QB for our QB centric conference :)
Look at LU last season. Shafnisky ( 0*) backed up by a 3 * and two 2* QBs.

Andy
July 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Look at LU last season. Shafnisky ( 0*) backed up by a 3 * and two 2* QBs.

My intent was not to criticize the Patsy rating system again, but that about says it all, Rich. Particularly for Gate, getting the right guy to run their "gimmick offense" is vitally important and stars don't mean much as the attributes that typically drive star ratings at the position don't necessarily equate to success in that offense. Witness Sully who didn't come close to any stars and had maybe only one other offer. Won 25 games!

RichH2
July 14th, 2017, 12:49 PM
My intent was not to criticize the Patsy rating system again, but that about says it all, Rich. Particularly for Gate, getting the right guy to run their "gimmick offense" is vitally important and stars don't mean much as the attributes that typically drive star ratings at the position don't necessarily equate to success in that offense. Witness Sully who didn't come close to any stars and had maybe only one other offer. Won 25 games!
Oh Andy , no knock at all. Patsy is what it is. Summer entertainment with some relevant substance for us all to chew on.
Pa QB is a little guy but has the skills Hunt wants. Quick release and can run.