PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers

BisonTru
July 7th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Who's a guy on your squad or one you're familiar with that's not on any all conference lists but is going to break out this season.

Maybe someone who made noise in the spring game or a transfer you're hearing good things about.

And go...

Gangtackle11
July 7th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Drew Wiley RS So. LB. played as RS Fr. in Pitt game & had 3 TFL including a strip sack accounting for Nova's only score that day. He fell back to special teams as Villanova relied on their upperclassmen the rest of the way.

He's reportedly 6'1" 245 lbs. & is as quick as any Nova LB on the roster for all reports.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17457176

Also Justin Covington is a RS frosh. Running back who by season's end may be Nova's go to back as he's a combo of power & speed.

Wildcat1997
July 7th, 2017, 06:15 PM
SR. DE Dylan Douglass, he's been a 2 year starter and has been decent but never a star. We've been saying this is his year to breakout all of his years here and I think this is truly the season he does it.

SU DOG
July 7th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Several come to mind, but since we so desperately need a running game this is the one I think it will be. RB Treyvon Paulk, who was a ESPN 4**** player out of high school. He signed with Tennessee after choosing the Vols over 4 other SEC Teams. This spring, he reminded us of RB Fabian Truss, a former Bulldog(2013) who could really tote the mail.

PaladinFan
July 7th, 2017, 09:56 PM
I'm sticking with Darius Morehead, RB.

Morehead won the starting job out of camp last season in a relatively deep Furman backfield, rushed for 80+ in his first collegiate action against Michigan State, and was lost for the season in the second game against the Citadel. So, we didn't see much of him.

Morehead is arguably one of the fastest players in the conference and I think he could be an absolute terror for teams to defend in Furman's new run heavy hurry up offense. He can catch, run, return kicks, etc.

You can get a glimpse of the talent early on in the Michigan State game. I want to say that his first collegiate carry (or one of his first) came at the 2:14 mark. https://youtu.be/0FjgxUXd-dE

Honestly, the first time I watched his high school film the name that jumped to my mind was Jayson Foster. That's a huge comparison, but both guys have that effortless running style, get in behind their blockers, see the crease and accelerate past defenders. There aren't going to be too many guys in the SoCon that can run with him in the open field.

SU DOG
July 7th, 2017, 11:14 PM
I watched Morehead against the Spartans, and I would have to agree 100%. It's not arguably that he is one of the fastest in the conference - he is, the kid can fly. I'm curious to know what his 40 time is.

FUBeAR
July 7th, 2017, 11:32 PM
To stay consistent with the SoCon RB's Sleepers theme, here's one...

He took a nap in 2016, but he did these things in 2015, before he dozed off...

All-SoCon RB Second Team (Coaches & Media)
Led the Bears with 946 rushing yards on 171 carries (5.5 yards per carry)
Capital One Academic All-America First Team

http://www.mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5048 - Tee Mitchell will be woke in 2017!

Bucs2016
July 8th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Im gonna say whoever our starting RB ends up being. This offensive system we brought in in 2013 produced Christian Reyes, who broke all CSUs rushing records, and his were then broken by the next guy and the next guy, Holloway and Hammond. Its become a plug-and-play system for our RBs and word is we have 2 or 3 guys who are just as good but simply unproven.

With Coastal and Liberty gone...its a safe bet that our RB, whoever it is, ends up All Conference.

ST_Lawson
July 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I'm going to have to go with RB Max Norris: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16321&path=football

He's apparently become one of those guys who's just nearly impossible to bring down...crazy strong legs, only 5'10" but weighs in at 236 (like a slightly smaller Nikko Watson) and was one of four players awarded "Most Improved" from spring practices. With two of the best receivers in Leatherneck history gone this year, we expect a move to more of a run-based and short-pass style game, with both Steve McShane and Norris getting quite a few carries. I would not be at all surprised if he ends the season with maybe a 3rd team all-conference award.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 8th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Brad Mayes Jr QB Lehigh. Has one of the best set of skill guys in FCS and a verteran OL in front of him. He's shown what he can do as spot starter. I'll be shocked if he isn't considered one of the top QB's in FCS by season's end.

DirtyDukes
July 8th, 2017, 10:10 AM
#56 - Punter Jeremiah McBride. I think he will literally be able to take naps during games - we're not gonna punt ;)

Redbird 4th & short
July 8th, 2017, 11:09 AM
SO DE Jason Harris and/or JR DE Matt Swaine

Harris: as RS FR, started 11 games, finished with 39 tackles, 4 TFLs, 3 QBH, 2 breaks. Reasons I think he will break out .. as RS FR had nice season. But he was 6'5" 215 bs when he got here, now up to 245 lbs in 2 seasons; also the son of ncaa all american Al Harris who did well in NFL with Bears. All this potential and playing with a very strong DL unit.

http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5247&path=football

Swaine: similar story physically for Swaine .. got here at 6'7" 220 lbs, now up to 245 lbs .. long athlete who moves his feet, just needed more weight on his frame. Got 32 tackles. 7 TFLs, 6 sacks in part time duty. And like Harris playing with strong DL unit with entire 2 deep and most of 3rd string back.

http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5302&path=football

Nice pair of developing book ends to complement DT's Dalton Keene, Adam Conley, and Matt McCown .. Keene and Conley are big athletes who could realistically play anywhere on a DL and do well.

JSUSoutherner
July 8th, 2017, 12:24 PM
#56 - Punter Jeremiah McBride. I think he will literally be able to take naps during games - we're not gonna punt ;)
Same could be said about our place kickers. Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to give him a chance to miss all our FGs again.

SFA 93
July 8th, 2017, 12:29 PM
With over 830 yards receiving and 8 TDs last season it was true freshman WR: #80 Tamrick Pace 6-3; 200, who earned freshman All-American and Conference honors.

This season I’m going to go with junior DL: #94 Demetrion Amie 6-4; 272, who I think with the departure of senior DE: Kendrick Harrison, will have a very instrumental role in DC Jeff Byrd’s aggressive 3-3-5 defensive scheme. The TCU transfer dominated in the 2017 spring game with the first string.

Battled injuries last season, Amie still saw success in his limited play, posting 15 TKLs with 4 for a loss and 2.5 sacks.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19260344_1574107839275549_5626804195363351120_n.jp g?oh=0be8dc09fdc666a503ceb6fd1f7c3ceb&oe=59C9C9A9

RootinFerDukes
July 8th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Current player as of 2016 final roster? Jimmy Moreland. He's due for a big season at CB after he is making a comeback last season from a prior team dismissal due to a misdemeanor he committed. He just needs to hold on to the roughly 5-7 different dropped interceptions he had last season and look out. Some of those will be pick sixes.

Transfer? Marcus Marshall, two year leading rusher from Georgia Tech and son of a former JMU great RB Warren Marshall.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQDhQQFK_BA

JALMOND
July 8th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Za'Quan Summers. 5-9, 175, RB If he can stay healthy, he could be big this year for Portland State. The key has been to try to keep him healthy.

http://www.goviks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2904&path=football

GodHelpTheBears
July 8th, 2017, 01:38 PM
I can't think of a specific name right now, but we have like seven or eight freshman/redshirt freshman offensive linemen, and I hope some of them step up...if so, we might have a 4 or 5 win year, looking really good going into '18...

BisonTru
July 8th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Lots of good responses in here guys. Some fun names to keep an eye on.

For NDSU, I'm going with Dillon Radunz RFr OT. I'm not even sure if he will start, but if he does I've heard a lot of really good things about this young kid. It's tough to break NDSU's starting line-up on the Oline period and to be this close this early is impressive. I've heard comments from coaches that he's ahead of both Billy Turner and Joe Haeg (both who are in the NFL and former LTs for the Bison) at this point in all of their collegiate careers.

Another name is WR Desmond Cain. He's a transfer from Illinois. As many of you know NDSU is not one to take many transfers. Since we were after this kid is impressive in itself. He also had 10 receptions and over 100 yards as a freshman against Ohio State. I'm not sure if he will get big numbers being in NDSU's run first system, but the kid looks to have talent and a new home might be what brings him out of the sophomore slump he had last year.

JSUSoutherner
July 8th, 2017, 02:57 PM

For NDSU, I'm going with Dillon Radunz RFr OT. I'm not even sure if he will start, but if he does I've heard a lot of really good things about this young kid. It's tough to break NDSU's starting line-up on the Oline period and to be this close this early is impressive. I've heard comments from coaches that he's ahead of both Billy Turner and Joe Haeg (both who are in the NFL and former LTs for the Bison) at this point in all of their collegiate careers.

Another name is WR Desmond Cain. He's a transfer from Illinois. As many of you know NDSU is not one to take many transfers. Since we were after this kid is impressive in itself. He also had 10 receptions and over 100 yards as a freshman against Ohio State. I'm not sure if he will get big numbers being in NDSU's run first system, but the kid looks to have talent and a new home might be what brings him out of the sophomore slump he had last year.
God. You guys are just turning into Transfer U.

How disgusting. No wonder you didn't win 6 in a row. :D

Bucs2016
July 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM

The WR may be one of the few Power 5 players to transfer to FCS and end up on a BETTER team than he left. NDSU > Illinois.

dewey
July 8th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Good ones Tru. The Bison Media Blog has already covered their top 5 newcomers to watch and top 5 break through players.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com

Dewey

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Here are a few names you didn't see on all-conference teams by the coaches last year but I expect to have a big year. These names either were snubbed, role players, coming off injury, and one is a big time transfer I expect to play early and possibly be a future NFL player.

QB Brad Mayes, Lehigh
QB Alex Thomson, Wagner
Whoever starts at Jacksonville State at QB
JMU Rbs Cardon Johnson and Marcus Marshall
McNeese FB Lawayne Ross
Montana WR Keenan Curran
Idaho State OL Skyler Phillips
Tennessee State OT Chidi Okeke
Morgan State OT Joshua Miles
UC Davis OG Julian Bertero
Tennessee State C Thomas Burton
Jackson State DE Keontre Anderson
Yale DT Copache Tyler
UAPB DT Tashad Charity
NDSU LB Nick DeLucas
Abilene Christian LB Bryson Gates
EWU LB Alek Kacmarcik
CB Terrell Bonds, Tennessee State
Alabama A&M CB Devonte Simon
Presbyterian CB Rock Ya-Sin
Central Arkansas S Jaylon Lofton
Nicholls CB Christian Boutte

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM

I watched film on that TE that they claim in the video will be a NFL guy and I can see why they say that. You guys get some great sleepers. If I was a HC of a G5 school I would try to find NDSU offers and evaluate them. NDSU always seems to sign 2-3 big time players in every class who turn out to be elite FCS players that could be very good starters at a top tier G5 or P5 team and usually 10 of your signees, at least, could contribute to a top 10 type G5 as a starter or really good backup.

cx500d
July 8th, 2017, 09:52 PM
I watched film on that TE that they claim in the video will be a NFL guy and I can see why they say that. You guys get some great sleepers. If I was a HC of a G5 school I would try to find NDSU offers and evaluate them. NDSU always seems to sign 2-3 big time players in every class who turn out to be elite FCS players that could be very good starters at a top tier G5 or P5 team and usually 10 of your signees, at least, could contribute to a top 10 type G5 as a starter or really good backup.

The TE guy I assume you refer to is at SDSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
July 8th, 2017, 10:03 PM

San Diego State?

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2017, 10:10 PM

No the TE for NDSU that just signed. I can see why NDSU folks would love him.

Not sure he will end up as good as Goedert. He could go in round 2 or 3.

chattownmocs
July 8th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Hawk shrider, Kareem Orr, Darrell Bridges won't be on any all-conference lists but are all american caliber imo. I've even seen Isaah mack left off half the lists, that's just dumb.

JSUSoutherner
July 8th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Here are a few names you didn't see on all-conference teams by the coaches last year but I expect to have a big year. These names either were snubbed, role players, coming off injury, and one is a big time transfer I expect to play early and possibly be a future NFL player.

QB Brad Mayes, Lehigh
QB Alex Thomson, Wagner
McNeese FB Lawayne Ross
Montana WR Keenan Curran
Yale DT Copache Tyler
UAPB DT Tashad Charity
NDSU LB Nick DeLucas
EWU LB Alek Kacmarcik
Nicholls CB Christian Boutte

I hope you're right about that.

What's your opinion of the situation?

youcanbankit
July 9th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Nick Tiano - UTC QB

I am guessing he takes over for Bennifield by mid year.

Redbird 4th & short
July 9th, 2017, 08:29 AM
I'm going to have to go with RB Max Norris: http://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16321&path=football

He's apparently become one of those guys who's just nearly impossible to bring down...crazy strong legs, only 5'10" but weighs in at 236 (like a slightly smaller Nikko Watson) and was one of four players awarded "Most Improved" from spring practices. With two of the best receivers in Leatherneck history gone this year, we expect a move to more of a run-based and short-pass style game, with both Steve McShane and Norris getting quite a few carries. I would not be at all surprised if he ends the season with maybe a 3rd team all-conference award.
thanks for heads up scouting report on this guy, I'll pass along to Spack .. but I gave you 2 guys, so you owe me one more .... xnodx

ST_Lawson
July 9th, 2017, 08:34 AM
thanks for heads up scouting report on this guy, I'll pass along to Spack .. but I gave you 2 guys, so you owe me one more .... xnodx

Oh right....hmmm....well, we got a senior transfer DB who was starting for Northern Illinois the last two years. Considering how bad our pass defense was last year, he might be able to help us get to the point where we're actually "mediocre". He had his career high tackles in NIU'S game with us last year actually.

EDIT: Here's the guy - http://www.niuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=340
He's not listed on our roster online yet, but he's here and he's getting workouts in.

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 12:08 PM

QB Brad Mayes, Lehigh
QB Alex Thomson, Wagner
McNeese FB Lawayne Ross
Montana WR Keenan Curran
Yale DT Copache Tyler
UAPB DT Tashad Charity
NDSU LB Nick DeLucas
EWU LB Alek Kacmarcik
Nicholls CB Christian BoutteBryson Gates is a very good pick and since he's been moved to DE I think he'll have a good season since he won't have as many responsibilities as when he was a LB.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Bryson Gates is a very good pick and since he's been moved to DE I think he'll have a good season since he won't have as many responsibilities as when he was a LB.

I'm leaving him at LB in my rankings because I know he is pretty good in space. He is 6'3, 232 pounds so he has great size for OLB but would be too small to play DE in the NFL so he will have to move back once the ACU season is complete.

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I'm leaving him at LB in my rankings because I know he is pretty good in space. He is 6'3, 232 pounds so he has great size for OLB but would be too small to play DE in the NFL so he will have to move back once the ACU season is complete.He's listed at 6'5 220 on his bio but that's probably exaggeration to make him look better. I'm sure you're measurements are more accurate.

caribbeanhen
July 9th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Kareem Williams, RB, played in 2014 as a true Freshman and in 2015 but took his Redshirt last year so he's a good sleeper candidate as he's coming back this year as a Junior. He has some good speed and put up good numbers for Delaware in his first two seasons.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2017, 02:40 PM
He's listed at 6'5 220 on his bio but that's probably exaggeration to make him look better. I'm sure you're measurements are more accurate.

That happens a lot. He was verified at 6'3, 232 pounds during the junior pro day. Maybe he measures 6'3 1/2 or so but if his measurement next spring is off more than that I would be surprised.

Cat-in-GA
July 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM
I am very interested in seeing how Elijah Staley does at QB for Morgan State. Mississippi St. > Tyler J.C. > Morgan State transfer. 6'7" 240 lbs.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I hope you're right about that.

What's your opinion of the situation?

I have Horn penciled in but I don't know for sure and that was from info I had back in December. You guys always seem to have an All-OVC QB as of late.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2017, 04:43 PM
I am very interested in seeing how Elijah Staley does at QB for Morgan State. Mississippi St. > Tyler J.C. > Morgan State transfer. 6'7" 240 lbs.

He has a lot of talent but I'm not sure about his mental maturity. For a talented player to move around that much and not end up back in FBS coming out of JC, it makes me wonder if he will ever pan out. If he is ready though, he has the talent to be a good one.

PaladinNation
July 9th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Can't find a 40 time on Darius Morehead but his 100M time in HS was 10.87 he was TN state champ.

My two sleepers I guess are more underrated than sleepers.

Tyler Voyles inside linebacker 6-0 220 - should get his first start this season, potential to become a leader of the defense.
PJ Blazeowski quarterback 6-0 195 - Furman's 2017 success rests on the arm and feet of PJ. With the new offensive scheme and coaches, I expect Blaze to close out his Paladin career with an impressive season.