PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's OVC Questions For 2017

SU DOG
July 6th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Obviously the biggest one is - can anybody beat the Bama of the conference, JSU?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/five-key-questions-ohio-valley-conference-2017-fcs-season

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM
1.) We sweep again (I hope). Our offense may have lost Jenkins and Barge but if we are brutally honest our offense wasn't good last year anyway. If we can find some rhythm in the passing game this year and Roc finally hits his potential we will be ok on that side of the ball.

The defense will more than likely be the headliners. I'm excited for this group. :D

2.) Treon Harris is an interesting addition at TSU. I haven't looked into it much but I'm curious to see what kind of players they will have surrounding him this fall. He may end up being a lone stud with no help.

As as far as how the rest of the QBs in the conference rank.... xdontknowx

Your guess is as good as mine.

3.) Unless TSU can finally get their act together I'm gonna have to go with UTM on this one. Coach Simpson knows what he's doing.

4.) Maybe if they get a QB that isn't color blind....

and a running game....

and a defense....

5.) Haley is pretty spot on here. I would like to add Darius Jackson to that list but I'm sure there are several guys throughout the conference being eyed by the big leagues. SCFF is more knowledgeable than I about this anyway.

SU DOG
July 6th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Saw several JSU games last year, and the games I saw I thought that Josh Clemons looked far better than Roc Thomas. I see where Thomas had the best average/carry, so maybe I was wrong, but I wondered if he was injured or something.

Schism55
July 6th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Obviously the biggest one is - can anybody beat the Bama of the conference, JSU?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/five-key-questions-ohio-valley-conference-2017-fcs-season
Wrong. The biggest question is will the rest of the conference most resemble a dumpster fire, or a nuclear dumpster fire.

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Saw several JSU games last year, and the games I saw I thought that Josh Clemons looked far better than Roc Thomas. I see where Thomas had the best average/carry, so maybe I was wrong, but I wondered if he was injured or something.
He had been having injury problems but his biggest issue, particularly early in the year, was his lack of coaching from Auburn. He spent too much time trying to beat defenders to the edge and juke guys out of their shoes like he did in high school and it doesn't work at this level. As the season went on he became more of a North/South guy. But injuries, particularly from the Tech game, didn't help.

If the spring game game is any indication, those problems have been corrected.

Clemons was the silent hero on the offense last year. If it weren't for him we probably would have lost some games.