PDA

View Full Version : NDSU scheduling woes

The Sheriff
January 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=154526

This is from today's Fargo Forum about NDSU's scheduling problems. It is very unfortunate for them and their fans (and this is coming from a UND fan). Quite interesting was the fact that Gene Taylor brought up the small (really small) possibility of renewing the UND rivalry, something that he was passionately against to date.

Thought from NDSU fans... (not on the possibility of the UND game, we all know where you stand there, but on the scheduling issues and possible solutions)

MplsBison
January 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM
The main thing is waiting to hear from the Gateway.

If we get in, starting 2008 we only have 2-3 non conference slots availible.

If we start making a bunch of home and homes with non Gateway teams, how are we going to revisit them?

NDSUFREAK
January 28th, 2007, 12:57 PM
The rivalry wont get renewed, we scheduled 3 games in March last year. I am not getting worried really. I guess though that we will have to settle with 5 games again......$#%! YOU MONTANA STATE!!

BisonBacker
January 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
The rivalry wont get renewed, we scheduled 3 games in March last year. I am not getting worried really. I guess though that we will have to settle with 5 games again......$#%! YOU MONTANA STATE!!
Yes because we all know that the mighty Montana schools are the only ones deserving of home games without regard to who they F_CK over.

mainejeff
January 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM
You know......I get sick of hearing all of this whining from fans about scheduling woes. Many schools put limits on who, when, and where they will play........including the ones with the "scheduling woes"........boo-hoo.:bawling: :cool:

aust42
January 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
The main thing is waiting to hear from the Gateway.

If we get in, starting 2008 we only have 2-3 non conference slots availible.

If we start making a bunch of home and homes with non Gateway teams, how are we going to revisit them?

Is the Great West's demise a foregone conclusion? Are they trying to do anything to retain the schools they have and/or add schools?

MplsBison
January 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
UND and USD will replace NDSU and SDSU. So it can still survive in its current form.

I'm sure they'd love to get San Diego, Sac State or both as well.

The Sheriff
January 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Yes, I'm not expecting the rivalry beginning again until UND is officially classified as a FCS team, whether that means 2008 or when they complete their transition period.

I just saw it as unfortunate for the season ticket holders to a) have only 3 home games to see so far, and b) that the remaining homes games are probably going to be filled with a D2 school or some other team that doesn't fit the description of an ideal opponent (whatever that may be), generating less interest in the game.

My only hope is that UND takes note on how NDSU handles this, and keep it with all the other notes on the NDSU transition, since it was handled about as well as a school could handle it.

The Sheriff
January 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
UND and USD will replace NDSU and SDSU. So it can still survive in its current form.

I'm sure they'd love to get San Diego, Sac State or both as well.
Sac St's current AD was the AD at UND from 1990-1999. I hoping that the connection could result in some scheduling of games when it comes time. So Sac St getting into the GWFC could go either way for UND. On one hand you would love to see the GWFC grow, and on the other hand, scheduling some solid non-conference opponents would be equally as important and that connection could make it easier.

Just speaking hypothetically...

Gil Dobie
January 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
You know......I get sick of hearing all of this whining from fans about scheduling woes. Many schools put limits on who, when, and where they will play........including the ones with the "scheduling woes"........boo-hoo.:bawling: :cool:

Where is the Whining on this thread? There person starting the thread is from a different school. :rolleyes:

BisonBacker
January 28th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Where is the Whining on this thread? There person starting the thread is from a different school. :rolleyes:
Thanks Gil Dobie for pointing out the obvious. It's easy for a fan of a team who's in a conference with a guaranteed number of home games to be so critical. He'd probably be the one whining like a little girl if his school was in the same position. Of course when your team is a doormat its not hard to find teams who need a whipping boy to put on their schedule. xlolx

CopperCat
January 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM

That's right, because all your scheduling problems are strictly because of MSU.

andy7171
January 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks Gil Dobie for pointing out the obvious. It's easy for a fan of a team who's in a conference with a guaranteed number of home games to be so critical. He'd probably be the one whining like a little girl if his school was in the same position. Of course when your team is a doormat its not hard to find teams who need a whipping boy to put on their schedule. xlolx
Oh please.
All fans from NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, where ever, on this site complain about A- having to wait to be play off eligible B-being ranked outside the top 5 or C- not getting enough games.
Here's a clue, move to a place with more than 3 major school in 1000 miles of one another or an airport at least. Then maybe someone will travel to you place to play.

And work out what conference you're going to be joining before jumping up to D.I

89Hen
January 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM
:nono: You need to do your homework. BTW, it was your whining.

"Yes because we all know that the mighty Montana schools are the only ones deserving of home games without regard to who they F_CK over."

PapaBear
January 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I think MJ was, in his own gentle way, commiserating with you. Maine's somewhat remote location and its reputation for playing tough, hard-nosed football, present the same challenges that you face in developing a good OOC schedule.

That said ... Maine is a lot of things, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a single opponent -- current or former, at any level -- who'd call them a "doormat." I'm gonna assume you either know zero about the Black Bears, or that you were using that label to describe some other hypothetical "doormat" that's located beyond the beaten path yet has every Sisters of the Poor football club beating a path to its door for guaranteed wins.

FargoBison
January 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Oh please.
All fans from NDSU, SDSU, UND, USD, where ever, on this site complain about A- having to wait to be play off eligible B-being ranked outside the top 5 or C- not getting enough games.
Here's a clue, move to a place with more than 3 major school in 1000 miles of one another or an airport at least. Then maybe someone will travel to you place to play.

And work out what conference you're going to be joining before jumping up to D.I

Montana
Montana St
Northern Colorado
UNI
SDSU
SIU
WIU
Ill St
Indiana St
Missouri St
UCA

Are all within 1000 miles of Fargo and there is also an airport right next to campus with daily flights to Chicago, MSP, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City on carriers such as United, Delta, and Northwest.

Gil Dobie
January 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Oh please.

Here's a clue, not ALL fans have complained. I think NDSU has had some great schedules so far.

A- Some of us knew the rules when the move was made.
B- Some of us are grateful to be ranked this early in the transition.
C- We've had 11 games every year.

PS: There are more than 3 major schools within 1000 miles, and there is an airport within a couple miles of NDSU, the conference thing will work itself out in time, the Southland and A-10 have traveled to Fargo. :eyebrow:

FargoBison
January 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Maine a doormat? Might want to some research next time backer, Maine is a solid team and definately one I would like to see in Fargo. I remember Bison fans where very excited to see Maine play in Fargo a few years ago but unfortunately 9/11 happend and the game was cancelled.

FargoBison
January 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
That's right, because all your scheduling problems are strictly because of MSU.

Montana State caused a lot problems with our scheduling this year. Home games are tough to get and so is scheduling in a 5 team conference, you guys really left us in a bad spot.

AggiePride
January 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Some people need to realize that fans are INDIVIDUALS, and with a large fan base you're gonna have the good and the bad.

Yes NDSU is very vocal and has a very large presence on this board, and it seems that this fact alone annoys some people, but to this extent...?

This post below was incredibly venomous, not to mention just plain stupid, and I was surprised. Lame.

Oh please.

NDSUFREAK
January 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Montana
Montana St
Northern Colorado
UNI
SDSU
SIU
WIU
Ill St
Indiana St
Missouri St
UCA

Are all within 1000 miles of Fargo and there is also an airport right next to campus with daily flights to Chicago, MSP, Denver, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City on carriers such as United, Delta, and Northwest.

Dont forget the U, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Notre Dame. All within 1,000 miles of good ol' Fargo, North Dakota.

bcrawf
January 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
UNI will play you on Nov 4 if you come to CF. We would love to come to Fargo if we weren't already headed to Brookings to play the Jackrabbits.

Its pretty clear your headed to the Gateway, so why not experience the "other" Dome first??

CopperCat
January 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Montana State caused a lot problems with our scheduling this year. Home games are tough to get and so is scheduling in a 5 team conference, you guys really left us in a bad spot.

THEN FIND A DIFFERENT CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

FargoBison
January 29th, 2007, 11:07 PM
THEN FIND A DIFFERENT CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

We are trying, hopefully the Gateway takes us in.

bisonguy
January 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM
UNI will play you on Nov 4 if you come to CF. We would love to come to Fargo if we weren't already headed to Brookings to play the Jackrabbits.

Its pretty clear your headed to the Gateway, so why not experience the "other" Dome first??

NDSU probably would if there were more than three home games scheduled.

TheBisonator
January 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Dont forget the U, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Notre Dame. All within 1,000 miles of good ol' Fargo, North Dakota.

Also don't forget Iowa State and Iowa.:D

BearsCountry
January 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM

And Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Arkansas State.

Appaholic
January 30th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Since it appears App's schedule is unsettled at the moment, I would hope our AD's would contact one another.....doubt it will happen. Would love to see that game.......hopefully at the Rock so Bison could experience playing outdoors in the elements....:asswhip:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MplsBison
January 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM

You have an open date on Sept 22 also. We need you then so we can schedule IL State on Nov 3rd.

And there is no law against traveling to SDSU and NDSU in the same year. So what? If we get in the Gateway we'll both come to UNI in 08.

ndsu71und74
January 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Appoholic, We used to play in the "real" elements in the days before the FFD. Ask the Cal. Davis folks about coming up here in December for a DII playoff game and playing in a blizzzard. Can still picture an Aggie wide receiver running full tilt into and through the end zone before piling head first into a ten foot high snow bank left from cleaning off the field. Don't remember if he ever came back on the field after that one. Game time temp was something like minus 5 degrees, but the 2400 fans that showed up couldn't feel it. This was when tailgating continued right into the stands. Ah, the good old days... Did I ever tell you about the time........Sorry.

JBB
January 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Playing outside like that was idiotic. Well, its not like we had a choice, what I mean to say, it would be idiotic now. :nono:

The FFD and indoor football in general is the best. The game is played in perfect conditions. The best athletes with the best coaching and the best execution win. :hurray:

I was never proud of the terrible conditions and never took pleasure in the advantage it gave us. I like last years BISON team. It won on the road, outside. It won at home too. :thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
January 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
OK, ndsu71und74? what is that? you are either NDSU or crap.

MplsBison
January 30th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Maybe he went to NDSU premed?

NDSUFREAK
January 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe he went to NDSU premed?

well you can only be one.

eaglesrthe1
January 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I think MJ was, in his own gentle way, commiserating with you. Maine's somewhat remote location and its reputation for playing tough, hard-nosed football, present the same challenges that you face in developing a good OOC schedule.

That said ... Maine is a lot of things, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a single opponent -- current or former, at any level -- who'd call them a "doormat." I'm gonna assume you either know zero about the Black Bears, or that you were using that label to describe some other hypothetical "doormat" that's located beyond the beaten path yet has every Sisters of the Poor football club beating a path to its door for guaranteed wins.

When I first read the assertion, that's the 1st thing that came to my mind. Who in the hell in their right mind, would consider the Black Bears a pushover? Nobody that knows anything about them.xidiotx

Tough as nails.:thumbsup:

SeattleGriz
January 31st, 2007, 02:11 AM
You guys should schedule a game with Montana! :nod:

HAha!

spelunker64
January 31st, 2007, 07:26 AM
Playing outside like that was idiotic. Well, its not like we had a choice, what I mean to say, it would be idiotic now. :nono:

The FFD and indoor football in general is the best. The game is played in perfect conditions. The best athletes with the best coaching and the best execution win. :hurray:

I was never proud of the terrible conditions and never took pleasure in the advantage it gave us. I like last years BISON team. It won on the road, outside. It won at home too. :thumbsup:

3,000 fans cheering and clapping with choppers on seemed louder than the fair weather fans of lately in the FargoDome. I'll have to admit that this season's fans were louder though.

Still missing ol' Dakota Field...

ndsu71und74
January 31st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Fans WERE louder and crazier at Dacotah Field. You had to be a REAL fan to show up when the weather was bad and the stands were not full of the "gentile" folks like the FFD is now. The band provided the background music, not the blaring noise we get at the Dome. The FANS provided the noise for the team. And to the closed minded soul who thinks you have to be a NDSU grad and/or nothing else, stuff it! I have experienced both and have chosen to be a Bison fan. You, I'll bet, have not experienced any other school and therefor would probably be a UND zealot had fate (Or your parents wallet!) taken you there. I do hold a second diploma from Upstate Abnormal, but have also studied at U of Minn and U of Wis., one currently having an outdoor field and the other, in what has to be an almost equally hostile weather environment, is getting ready to build one. Personally, I like football outdoors, where the weather does make a differance. Remember, the Bison beat Ball State and a bunch of other teams outdoors last year and the big upset of Mantana was also outdooors. Give the players and coaches some credit. They can play anywhere. Its us whussy (Rhymes with .........) fans who demand the indoors. Whew! Done venting!

GaSouthern
January 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
"NDSU Scheduling Woes"

That problem happens when you scare an entire league, I hope we never play you again regular season!!!!

too bad we gotta make a return trip next year, im not kiddin, im scared :(

RabidRabbit
January 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
"NDSU Scheduling Woes"

That problem happens when you scare an entire league, I hope we never play you again regular season!!!!

too bad we gotta make a return trip next year, im not kiddin, im scared :(

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Seems like the whole FCS division :nod: :nod: :nod:

Them Bison are tough....but beatable!!!! Rabbits have succeeded about 40% of time vs. Bison, (nearing 100 games played too) :bow: :bow:

Looking forward to Jacks/Eagles match-ups again now that we're at 57/63 schollies unlike our first two match-ups with GSU. :nod: :nod:

igo4uni
January 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM

Oh please, everyone knows that the Iowa State Cyclowns aren't really a D-1 school!!:D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: xcoffeex xcoffeex

NDSUFREAK
January 31st, 2007, 08:08 PM
The FFD will be rocking next year and louder than ever. I guarentee it.

CopperCat
February 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
We are trying, hopefully the Gateway takes us in.

I hope so too. The GWFC really does put teams in a tight spot. The Big Sky was stupid not to take NDSU and SDSU, so hopefully the Gateway won't make the same mistake.

MplsBison
February 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
The Sky is still interested in expanding to 10, right?

Will that be done sooner or later? Who are the candidates? I have to think S Utah is.

GRZZ
February 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
If expansion is the case...I hope that the candidate(S) chosen can actually compete with all of the members of the Big Sky...

MplsBison
February 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah since there's so many schools to choose from who can hop right in with FBS schools like Montana...

GRZZ
February 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I'm not saying instantly compete for league titles, and thanks for the compliment. You know what I am saying because you have been screaming it for a year. No Co is at the bottom of every sport in our league right now. I would just want someone who wouldn't be a cellar dweller in everything.

NoCoDanny
February 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not saying instantly compete for league titles, and thanks for the compliment. You know what I am saying because you have been screaming it for a year. No Co is at the bottom of every sport in our league right now. I would just want someone who wouldn't be a cellar dweller in everything.

You're a liar. We weren't last in volleyball. Check your facts.

MplsBison
February 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
There's plenty of talent in Denver and CO that UC and CSU don't go after for UNC to have great success in the Sky. They just need some time.

GRZZ
February 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
You're a liar. We weren't last in volleyball. Check your facts.

Calm down Danny. It wasn't completely literal statement, but I would have to venture out of your fan base to find people to say it has been hard for No Co to compete this year. I do think in time you will be fine.

BisonBacker
February 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
If expansion is the case...I hope that the candidate(S) chosen can actually compete with all of the members of the Big Sky...
That shouldn't be too hard you have what 3 teams that put up any resistance and the rest are about as close to a guaranteed win as you can get. Whew a tough conference it is xlolx

GRZZ
February 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Some of you Dakota fans are really interesting pieces of work. I am basically saying that I don't want another situation where they choose a team that wont compete and pass over two teams that could have done better right away. I am giving you guys a compliment, but this comes back once again.

Hammerhead
February 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Name one FCS conference that would even entertain the idea of accepting a new member before moving up from D-II. Since our entire conference didn't want to move up together, No. Colo. jumped ship first, followed by SDSU and NDSU.

Oh please.

BisonBacker
February 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Some of you Dakota fans are really interesting pieces of work. I am basically saying that I don't want another situation where they choose a team that wont compete and pass over two teams that could have done better right away. I am giving you guys a compliment, but this comes back once again.
I'm just stating my opinion, and it's apparently not just my opinion. You don't have a knock down drag out fight for the title conference filled with title contenders come on be honest. You guys sitting there acting like the BSC is filled with contenders is comical but if you really believe that then maybe you need to take the blinders off. If it makes you feel better go ahead and think what you want....xcoffeex

GRZZ
February 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
FOR THE LAST TIME, I AM SAYING THAT I WANT COMPETITIVE TEAMS, NOT CELLAR DWELLERS...WE ARE AGREEING...

BisonBacker
February 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
FOR THE LAST TIME, I AM SAYING THAT I WANT COMPETITIVE TEAMS, NOT CELLAR DWELLERS...WE ARE AGREEING...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WYOBISONMAN
February 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Hey....this Bison Fan understands where you are coming from totally!