PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist of FCS OOC Games That Make Sense

bonarae
July 3rd, 2017, 05:25 PM
... a good and interesting one... any others that didn't make the cut but should be? xchinscratchx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170703120747500902204

GodHelpTheBears
July 3rd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Missouri State vs. SEMO
Missouri State vs. Central Arkansas

I believe at least one of these should be played annually.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2017, 05:50 PM
North Alabama is moving up to FCS. It would be cool to see them in the FD. NDSU beat them for the 1985 D2 title.

Montana State. They jacked NDSU around by not coming back for a home/home. Would love to beat them down.

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 06:05 PM
North Alabama is moving up to FCS. It would be cool to see them in the FD. NDSU beat them for the 1985 D2 title.

Montana State. They jacked NDSU around by not coming back for a home/home. Would love to beat them down.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBFj6n3UAAE_op-.jpg

xcoffeex :D

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 06:17 PM
NDSU/Chatty
NDSU/The Citadel

clenz
July 3rd, 2017, 06:21 PM
Drake.

Drake and UNI should play a rotating H/H/O permanently.

UNIs OOC should always be

1. FBS - preferably Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri
2. Drake - in the off year for Drake it should be Butler, Valpo, Murray State, EIU, SEMO, etc...

3. H/H split alternating the Drake H/H with a relatively name FCS program. Some of these overlap my second part. EIU, Murray State, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and/or keeping series going like Cal Poly, EWU, etc... I would add some SLC programs but their schedule won't allow it

****ing sick of how the program has been scheduled the last 7-8 years. Even though last year was the first OOC game lost on the road since 1997 and second at home since 1997 I just hate 2 of 3 OOC games on the road every year and playing an FBS and 2 top 25s every OOC and then playing 6 or 7 top 25s in conference play.

Give me Iowa State, Drake and a rotation of EIU, Murray State and SFA in a perfect world.

KPSUL
July 3rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
Harvard should step up their OOC schedule and play a team from the Northeast like UNH, Maine, Albany or Stony Brook once a season. UNH to Harvard is about 70 minutes drive time - closer than their perennial opponent Rhode Island. They would likely attract a large visiting team crowd since there are probably more UNH Alumni in the Boston area than in all of New Hampshire. I don't really know how much to blame on Harvard for this, but I'm going to assume about 99%.

CHIP72
July 3rd, 2017, 07:06 PM
Penn/Villanova - yeah, I know they played up until the last couple of years, but they should play every year...

Georgetown/Howard - these DC neighbors played in the past and should play again in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
July 3rd, 2017, 07:07 PM
I agree 100% with Samford vs JSU. I'm all for this game. We have closed the gap somewhat with that top-notch program that used to laugh at us, and for good reason. We were a pathetic opponent for them in the OVC. I'm not saying we would beat the Gamecocks this year, but I think it would now be very competitive. Yeah, I know that the Playoff game(with so many starters hurt) didn't bear that out, but I also know that our talent level has been upped many times over what those OVC squads were. It probably won't happen because this is an issue that goes beyond the Samford Athletic Dept. JSU folks will say that Samford is afraid to play, but JSU can also look to themselves and to their ex-coach(Captain Jack) for some clues as to why the game may be a long time(or never) in coming.

Meanwhile, I will continually try to bend the ear of our administrators. I really want to see this game scheduled.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
Lehigh vs Youngstown State...two old steel towns do battle

PAllen
July 3rd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Lehigh vs Delaware, Richmond, and William and Mary. Not necessarily in that order.

DFW HOYA
July 3rd, 2017, 07:24 PM
http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/programs/48_nova.jpg

KPSUL
July 3rd, 2017, 07:36 PM
Lehigh vs Delaware, Richmond, and William and Mary. Not necessarily in that order.

How about all of them in one season?

caribbeanhen
July 3rd, 2017, 07:37 PM
Sammy Houston State vs Delaware in Newark.....

ST_Lawson
July 3rd, 2017, 08:33 PM
I was a big fan of our H&H with Eastern Illinois over the last two seasons. I'd really like to see it continue.
SEMO and occasional nearby Pioneer League teams (Drake, Valpo, Butler) also work, but we have a pretty long history with Eastern, having spent the majority of our existence in the same conference with them.

Sitting Bull
July 3rd, 2017, 08:38 PM
W&M vs Harvard, the nations two oldest Universities.

Gangtackle11
July 3rd, 2017, 08:51 PM
Villanova to play Abilene Christian, Bethune-Cookman, Davidson, and Weber State in FCS OOC games. FBS game against KState, Arizona, Northwestern, or Kentucky. Of course, UNH in conference.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2017, 09:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBFj6n3UAAE_op-.jpg

xcoffeex :D

Man, I totally spaced that one out....:(....xsmhx....early onset dementia....xchinscratchx

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM

Yes. A great match-up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM

Delaware needs to get their butts back to Goodman! I agree with Richmond and W&M.

I'm still pro-YSU. I've been asking for this game for 15+ years....

Lehigh'98
July 3rd, 2017, 09:11 PM

Absolutely, UNH should appear frequently on our schedule as well. One top Ivy, one NEC/Ivy and three CAA would be ideal with an FBS once every one or two years. Will never happen because we schedule terribly though.

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2017, 09:14 PM
Colgate vs. Grambling, Hampton, The Citadel, VMI, Elon, Stony Brook

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
Yes. A great match-up.

I lived in Austintown. I'll passing through there this weekend on my way to Cincinnati. I go out there quite a bit. It's my only OOC wish. If Lehigh schedule's YSU then they can schedule any FBS school they wish xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Absolutely, UNH should appear frequently on our schedule as well. One top Ivy, one NEC/Ivy and three CAA would be ideal with an FBS once every one or two years. Will never happen because we schedule terribly though.

There's no need to schedule 3 CAA teams. The PL needs to improve which would allow a little more creativity in the OOC. I really don't think Lehigh schedules terribly it's just inconsistent. Villanova/UNH/Harvard in 2010, UNH, Liberty in 2011, JMU and UNH 2014, Villanova and Penn in 2016. I think 2 Ivies is ideal. Keep Princeton as the "traditional Ivy" and rotate between Penn, Yale and Harvard. I would like to see the Monmouth series mercifully end. I know they're full scholly and in the Big South but enough is enough. Hopefully Lehigh kicks their butts down there and the series takes about a 7 year hiatus.

Colgate, Holy Cross and Lehigh have traditionally played the better OOC schedules in the PL imo. Lafayette's are more inconsistent than Lehigh's and Fordham's have been rather blah outside of 'Nova and their FBS game. Bucknell and Georgetown's are almost always underwhelming.

Have an OOC of
@ UConn
Richmond
Princeton
@ Yale
@ Albany
and everyone is happy imo

Outside of EWU and maybe UNI most teams in FCS don't go crazy in their OOC unless they need money and schedule 2 or 3 FBS games.

Bucs2016
July 3rd, 2017, 11:05 PM
We've played every FCS team in S.C. except Furman and my family lives in Greenville so Id love for CSU and Furman to play up at their place.

Sader87
July 3rd, 2017, 11:07 PM
It's hard to think of an FCS school Holy Cross has or hasn't played in the last 30 years or so that I'm dying to see them play again. Not a dig at anyone, just that HC already plays a lot of these teams. A lot of the FCS schools HC used to play historically have either gone FBS (UConn, UMass) or have discontinued football (BU, Northeastern). Probably someone in the southern-tier of the CAA (W&M, Richmond, Villanova etc).

If we were to "go outside the box" I think an FCS opponent in another part of the country would be interesting (Citadel, Cal Poly, Montana etc) but I doubt that happens too soon for a variety of reasons.

Coogkat15
July 3rd, 2017, 11:14 PM
Man I would love to see SHSU vs Portland St, Youngstown State, and Florida A&M. Now that I think about it I would also like to see Sam play The Citadel. Especially with Sam being so close to TAMU, I would like to see some of their game day traditions to see how similar they are to our Texas Aggies, with them being senior military colleges.

Model Citizen
July 4th, 2017, 01:16 AM
San Diego v. St. Mary's
Butler v. Evansville
Valparaiso v. Loyola
Drake v. Bradley
Dayton v. Xavier

Like the title says, it's a wish list...
Wishing some of these schools still had football.

bonarae
July 4th, 2017, 03:44 AM
Oh yes, Harvard's next coach needs to reverse what Murphy had done in the two-plus decades of serving in Allston.

Here's my personal wish list for the Crimson at present:

1. Beanpot-style guarantee game of UMass or BC (Unfortunately, they, we and HC are the only four D-I football teams left in the state of Massachusetts. xsmhx)
2. UNH (mentioned in the OA), Maine or UConn (last is for guarantee game should Beanpot be not feasible)
3. W&M (Murphy killed off this series, anyone care to explain why?)
4. Any non-PFL Southern or Western school... xchinscratchx

RichH2
July 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Very nice.
FBS perhaps every other year. A mix of Harvard Penn Princeton. 2-3 CAA altho I'd like to see a SoCon H2H occasionally. Monmouth and/or an NEC opener fairly regularly. I'd like to see the Dukes .
NE scheduling is not all that easy given the fierce competition here and Andy's aversion to schedule out of the NE.

POD Knows
July 4th, 2017, 06:49 AM
NDSU/Chatty
NDSU/The CitadelH and H with these teams would be great.

Gangtackle11
July 4th, 2017, 07:37 AM
I'd like to see this as a theme:

1 game vs. FBS from old Big East conference hoops conference.
1 game vs. catholic affiliated FCS school
1 game vs. Pennsylvania based FCS

FBS games: Pitt, UConn, Syracuse, BC (Would play any of 3 service academies & Temple also)

Catholic FCS: Fordham, Georgetown, Dayton, San Diego, Holy Cross, StFU, Duquesne, Sacred Heart, Incarnate Word

Remaining Pa. FCS: Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell

Ivytalk
July 4th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Harvard and the Tribe played a few home-and-homes in the 80s and early 90s. W&M has won the last four games. I agree that it's time to renew this historic series.

ElCid
July 4th, 2017, 08:05 AM
SOCON vs the southern CAA, W&M, Richmond,
or JMU. Because they are good, close, and we have history with at least Rich and W&M. I know VMI has occasionally played some, but we need to get something more going with these teams. I didn't include Elon because we have played them a lot obviously.

Seawolf97
July 4th, 2017, 09:40 AM
FBS like to see UConn, Syracuse and Pitt on our schedules .
FCS Finally playing Fordham in 2019 at Fordham and at SBU in 2020. Also add Colgate , Columbia , Yale , The Citadel , Liberty again as an OOC maybe Cornell . Need to get creative mix in other conferences with the NEC schools we seem to play.

Penguin Nation
July 4th, 2017, 10:42 AM

I would definitely prefer Lehigh over the NEC, and then one G5/MAC (preferably Akron or Kent), and a P5.

BEAR
July 4th, 2017, 12:24 PM
For the Southland:

UCA vs Missouri State
SHSU vs UNA
McNeese vs Illinois State
SLU vs Montana
SFA vs. UNI

JSUSoutherner
July 4th, 2017, 12:44 PM
I agree 100% with Samford vs JSU. I'm all for this game. We have closed the gap somewhat with that top-notch program that used to laugh at us, and for good reason. We were a pathetic opponent for them in the OVC. I'm not saying we would beat the Gamecocks this year, but I think it would now be very competitive. Yeah, I know that the Playoff game(with so many starters hurt) didn't bear that out, but I also know that our talent level has been upped many times over what those OVC squads were. It probably won't happen because this is an issue that goes beyond the Samford Athletic Dept. JSU folks will say that Samford is afraid to play, but JSU can also look to themselves and to their ex-coach(Captain Jack) for some clues as to why the game may be a long time(or never) in coming.

Meanwhile, I will continually try to bend the ear of our administrators. I really want to see this game scheduled.
What did Voldemort even do to piss you guys off so much? Did he take a dump on your dog?

I too would like to see this series revived I'm not clear on the details of why Samford refuses to return our calls.

PAllen
July 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM

If two of the three were in the PL absolutely. My idea of a good OOC slate would also include Penn and Princeton (lots of history there), and one of my often state appropriate FBS opponents. Fill the rest with CAA squads we have history with and I'm happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Villanova to play Abilene Christian, Bethune-Cookman, Davidson, and Weber State in FCS OOC games. FBS game against KState, Arizona, Northwestern, or Kentucky. Of course, UNH in conference.

Interesting selection. Why?

PAllen
July 4th, 2017, 01:16 PM
San Diego v. St. Mary's
Butler v. Evansville
Valparaiso v. Loyola
Drake v. Bradley
Dayton v. Xavier

Like the title says, it's a wish list...
Wishing some of these schools still had football.

Might make for some interesting basketball.

Gangtackle11
July 4th, 2017, 01:22 PM
If two of the three were in the PL absolutely. My idea of a good OOC slate would also include Penn and Princeton (lots of history there), and one of my often state appropriate FBS opponents. Fill the rest with CAA squads we have history with and I'm happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting selection. Why?
All are Wildcats!! ✌️

PaladinNation
July 4th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I hope we will see competitive days ahead for Furman. A Wishlist of OOC games for the DINS.

Furman has some natural fits with several CAA schools.
W&M, Richmond are old SoCon rivals
Villanova and UNH would be interesting

Several high-academic schools would be great series.
Penn, Princetown, Lafayette and Lehigh

Personally, I want to see Furman go west.
Montana
NDSU or SD
Cal Poly

Lehigh'98
July 4th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Very nice.
FBS perhaps every other year. A mix of Harvard Penn Princeton. 2-3 CAA altho I'd like to see a SoCon H2H occasionally. Monmouth and/or an NEC opener fairly regularly. I'd like to see the Dukes .
NE scheduling is not all that easy given the fierce competition here and Andy's aversion to schedule out of the NE.

I would happily trade one CAA for a SoCon or MVFC game, but we really need to challenge ourself more in regular season. Playing all Ivy/NEC isn't going to prepare you for the playoffs. IMO, need three big conference FCS games or two plus one FBS. That way when playoffs come around you know what you are getting into. This year could be another disaster waiting to happen because after Nova we won't have a big time OOC game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I would happily trade one CAA for a SoCon or MVFC game, but we really need to challenge ourself more in regular season. Playing all Ivy/NEC isn't going to prepare you for the playoffs. IMO, need three big conference FCS games or two plus one FBS. That way when playoffs come around you know what you are getting into. This year could be another disaster waiting to happen because after Nova we won't have a big time OOC game.

It depends how much respect Penn gets. Even if some don't respect them they'll likely be a Top 25 if they live up to preseason hype. The Wagner game this year is brutal. Replace them with Stony Brook or Albany and it's a very good schedule. I think 2 Ivies is perfect.

32counter
July 4th, 2017, 04:34 PM
From Haley article-

"Fordham vs. Richmond and William & Mary
Finally set to meet Stony Brook on the FCS level for the first time next year, Fordham should turn its attention to two other CAA schools, Richmond and William & Mary, which they're compatible with athletically and academically. The Rams only played Richmond in 1995 and they've never faced William & Mary."

Announced last Fall,UR hosts Fordham in 2018 and plays in the Bronx in 2019.UR also hosts Yale in 2019 and visits New Haven in 2020.

Lehigh'98
July 4th, 2017, 05:43 PM
It depends how much respect Penn gets. Even if some don't respect them they'll likely be a Top 25 if they live up to preseason hype. The Wagner game this year is brutal. Replace them with Stony Brook or Albany and it's a very good schedule. I think 2 Ivies is perfect.

Two top Ivies is good. I don't understand the Wagner game at all. Doesn't do anything for us.

PAllen
July 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Two top Ivies is good. I don't understand the Wagner game at all. Doesn't do anything for us.

It's our now obligatory NEC game. I was sick of them the first year we started playing them, but Joe loves his NEC games.

van
July 4th, 2017, 06:47 PM
It's our now obligatory NEC game. I was sick of them the first year we started playing them, but Joe loves his NEC games.

don't see a problem with one NEC game if the rest of the OOC is solid, Wagner would be OK if Monmouth was traded for something more of a stretch (for example Navy, Army, Blue Chickens, W&M, or YSU) to go with Nova, Yale and Penn

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 4th, 2017, 06:55 PM
don't see a problem with one NEC game if the rest of the OOC is solid, Wagner would be OK if Monmouth was traded for something more of a stretch (for example Navy, Army, Blue Chickens, W&M, or YSU) to go with Nova, Yale and Penn

I think you have to schedule at least one NEC team every other year. 1. because it's a team you might see in the playoffs 2. if you want the better conference teams from the CAA or MVFC to schedule Lehigh than I think it's unfair to snub your nose at NEC teams trying to do the same thing.

Seawolf97
July 4th, 2017, 07:00 PM
From Haley article-

"Fordham vs. Richmond and William & Mary
Finally set to meet Stony Brook on the FCS level for the first time next year, Fordham should turn its attention to two other CAA schools, Richmond and William & Mary, which they're compatible with athletically and academically. The Rams only played Richmond in 1995 and they've never faced William & Mary."

Announced last Fall,UR hosts Fordham in 2018 and plays in the Bronx in 2019.UR also hosts Yale in 2019 and visits New Haven in 2020.

Don't forget StonyBrook is an AAU University, Richmond and William and Mary are not .

KPSUL
July 4th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Don't forget StonyBrook is an AAU University, Richmond and William and Mary are not .

What does AAU membership have to do with NCAA Division 1, FCS scheduling?

PAllen
July 4th, 2017, 07:21 PM

AAU has got to be one of the most overrated academic measures ever. Anybody really think that Penn State is at a higher academic level than Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate? I can tell you from first hand experience that, though a very good engineering program in it's own right, Purdue is not at the level that Lehigh is academically.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 5th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Funniest line in the article:

"Harvard needs to..."

BucBisonAtLarge
July 5th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Bucknell is in the process of doing some 'wishlist' scheduling:
Penn
Temple (yes, FBS, but one its oldest and historically most-played rivals)
Villanova
William and Mary

Other schools that would be great to have on the schedule:
Richmond
Albany
Stony Brook
Rutgers(you said 'wishlist')
YSU (family reasons, and the Bison could use a payday)
Honestly, any CAA and/or Southern schools

Four-game series let new rivalries build.

cx500d
July 5th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Penn
Villanova
William and Mary

Richmond
Albany
Stony Brook

Why not the Bison vs the Bizon? The battle of the Bisons!

BucBisonAtLarge
July 5th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Why not the Bison vs the Bizon? The battle of the Bisons!

We do play Howard now and then...

And then there is this:

https://www.bucknell.edu/about-bucknell/institutional-research-and-planning/bucknell-university-intelligence-dashboards/university-dashboard/enrollment-us-geographic-distribution.html

I have been to a game in Fargo--amazing experience. It just doesn't make sense.

NY Crusader 2010
July 5th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Would like to see Tom Gilmore coach against his old alma mater, Penn. Wouldn't mind seeing one or two of the non-New England Ivies on our schedule at some point.

Within New England, HC-Maine and HC-URI would be on my wishlist for games I'd like to catch at some point in my lifetime.

NY Crusader 2010
July 5th, 2017, 07:15 PM
NDSU/Chatty
NDSU/The Citadel

Speaking of the Citadel, it's time they get back on the schedules of Army and Navy. Can't remember the last time they were invited to Annapolis or West Point. VMI has visited both multiple times in the past 15 years.

NY Crusader 2010
July 5th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Tribe also overdue for a trip to Annapolis. Last meeting 1991. Played 40+ times prior.

ElCid
July 5th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Penn
Villanova
William and Mary

Richmond
Albany
Stony Brook

You have played VMI lately. They are obviously a geographic SOCON outlier to the north and that makes it easier obviously. I wish we could afford to play some more NE schools, but it is a long haul from Chucktown for an FCS game.

ElCid
July 5th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Speaking of the Citadel, it's time they get back on the schedules of Army and Navy. Can't remember the last time they were invited to Annapolis or West Point. VMI has visited both multiple times in the past 15 years.

Well, it may be a while. We are 2-1 the last three games against Army and 2-0 against Navy the last two times out. All the late 80s and early 90s. I think they are still smarting. Being a Jersey boy by birth, I could go for a road trip up there. For that matter, I would probably go to any number of games in the mid-Atlantic or NE.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 5th, 2017, 11:57 PM
You have played VMI lately. They are obviously a geographic SOCON outlier to the north and that makes it easier obviously. I wish we could afford to play some more NE schools, but it is a long haul from Chucktown for an FCS game.

Word is that there will be another four game series with VMI in the future (2021-24). Bucknell did pick up a game last year at CSU, so someone thinks SC is in range. For two years running Bucknell has scheduled OOC opponents from five different conferences. Being on the western edge of the PL does open up some options and present challenges. Now that the Ivy League scheduling arrangement has ended I would hope Bucknell can keep its longstanding relationship with Cornell, while building back one or two other Ancient Eight schools.

McCowboys
July 6th, 2017, 01:11 AM
McNeese has played some home-and-home contests with UNI and have also met them in the playoffs a few times, and I would like that to continue. I would like for the Cowboys and YSU Penguins to meet up and to have more home-and-home with Montana Griz and Delaware Blue Hens. Now that former asst. coach Fobbs has Grambling back on the right path, another matchup with the Tigers would be awesome! Maybe one day the SLC will end the 9-game conference mandate so that some of these contests would be possible.

Go...gate
July 6th, 2017, 02:48 AM
FBS like to see UConn, Syracuse and Pitt on our schedules .
FCS Finally playing Fordham in 2019 at Fordham and at SBU in 2020. Also add Colgate , Columbia , Yale , The Citadel , Liberty again as an OOC maybe Cornell . Need to get creative mix in other conferences with the NEC schools we seem to play.

Another great NYS match-up for Colgate. Hope we get back on each other's schedules soon!

Sitting Bull
July 6th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Tribe also overdue for a trip to Annapolis. Last meeting 1991. Played 40+ times prior.

True there. I think W&M has more games historically with Navy than any other FCS program.

This is what happens when you beat them in consecutive games, which is when the series was abruptly ended. We were supposed to be Homecoming fodder, not a loss.

At this point, with a single FBS game on the schedule, W&M would prefer I think an In-state or ACC game. It's a far larger paycheck for one. I wouldn't mind seeing Navy added as a 2nd OOC game though. Others have played two FBS games in a season. Given Navy's move to AAC and the annuals with ND and the other two service academies, I just don't see it happening though.

uni88
July 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM
AAU has got to be one of the most overrated academic measures ever. Anybody really think that Penn State is at a higher academic level than Lehigh, Lafayette or Colgate? I can tell you from first hand experience that, though a very good engineering program in it's own right, Purdue is not at the level that Lehigh is academically.
I believe AAU gives a lot of weight to research so that would favor the large public institutions.

When it comes to engineering, US News & World Report disagrees with you on Purdue's academics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Now that the Ivy League scheduling arrangement has ended I would hope Bucknell can keep its longstanding relationship with Cornell, while building back one or two other Ancient Eight schools.

Is that assumed or an official ending? If so, there's a major LFN article coming soon.

PAllen
July 6th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I believe AAU gives a lot of weight to research so that would favor the large public institutions.

When it comes to engineering, US News & World Report disagrees with you on Purdue's academics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Again, USN&WR weights total research expenditure dollars way too high. That's how Michigan stays atop the rankings even though they are no where near the top academically. But hey, a ranking is just a ranking. It's what you do with the educational opportunity that matters.

chattownmocs
July 6th, 2017, 11:56 AM
It was printed in the paper a while back that Chattanooga was trying to get a home and home with JMU.

RabidRabbit
July 6th, 2017, 12:23 PM
For SDSU, or the other Dakotas, more OVC games. ALSO would love to return to Southland vs MVFC OOC.

DirtyDukes
July 6th, 2017, 12:27 PM
It was printed in the paper a while back that Chattanooga was trying to get a home and home with JMU.

BRING RASCATI HOME

Model Citizen
July 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Is that assumed or an official ending? If so, there's a major LFN article coming soon.

Agreement or no agreement, the Patriot League still gets more Ivy League games than anyone else (11 this year). The NEC is next with five.

ASU33
July 6th, 2017, 03:09 PM
We haven't played FAMU since 2008 so would definitely like to see the back on the schedule. I also would like to see us play Samford, Jacksonville State, UNA on a more regular basis.

Iridebikes
July 6th, 2017, 03:38 PM
... a good and interesting one... any others that didn't make the cut but should be? xchinscratchx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170703120747500902204

As an EWU guy I'd like to see some more games withe the teams back EAST. CAA, SOCON and the rest of them. The Big Sky and MVC teams have been playing a lot the last couple of years and it has been enjoyable but I always wonder how the teams back east stack up. We never see them until deep into the playoffs. We do get to go to Fordham this year so that's a start.

Mattymc727
July 6th, 2017, 03:51 PM
UNH still needs revenge on UNI...I will always want that matchup

RabidRabbit
July 6th, 2017, 03:59 PM
SDSU, also known as the West Point on the Prairie, (ROTC's big) would be good for other Military Schools (THE Citadel, VMI). Last SoCon was Ga Southern. Played at Delaware. Agree with the EWU poster, need to get that east coast/mid-Atlantic to get out of bus play, and take on SDSU. So many SDSU alumni in the DC area, that many schools near by could get a H/H agreement.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 6th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Like the Ivy-PL agreement mattered... Bucknell has never seen much of Brown or Yale, even in the heyday of the scheduling arrangement. Dartmouth is a long haul, but did a H-H recently. There were more Harvard and Columbia games in Ivy-PL era. I don't think Princeton would have been scheduled recently without the League office. Penn is a historic rival and has been scheduled. These days only Cornell is an annual game with some building tradition.

Every program has its goals, reflected in its scheduling. Bucknell has scheduled D1 regional rivals, including NEC and PFL (Marist, a lot) with a few FBS opportunities, all within its traditional recruiting/alumni/fundraising footprint. With a little success, other opportunities might arise. Being in the West myself, I would like a random BSC, MVFC or Southland game. I would love a game at the AFA. I respect Bucknell's athletic department and its direction but will likely have to settle for UNM tickets for live football.

TheValleyRaider
July 6th, 2017, 04:36 PM
There are a few Ivies I wouldn't mind seeing on occasion: Harvard, Penn (very few meetings), and Brown (long-time rival, haven't played since 1996)

FCS matchups: William & Mary, Delaware, Wofford; can also include some NY rivals like Stony Brook and Albany, though we have played them a few times recently

Otherwise, I just enjoy a little variety in the schedule. There are a few more names I could include like Furman or Richmond, but they are on the schedule in the near future

ElCid
July 6th, 2017, 04:47 PM
SDSU, also known as the West Point on the Prairie, (ROTC's big) would be good for other Military Schools (THE Citadel, VMI). Last SoCon was Ga Southern. Played at Delaware. Agree with the EWU poster, need to get that east coast/mid-Atlantic to get out of bus play, and take on SDSU. So many SDSU alumni in the DC area, that many schools near by could get a H/H agreement.

Yeah, I would love to go west young man. Cost is always a stickler. Never been to state of SD before. Been to ND but not South. Would love to play some MVFC or Big Sky in a non playoff game. I am getting sick of the Big South as convenient OOC opponents. Not they are that bad. Between Chuck South, Gardner-Webb, and previously CCU and Liberty, they are decent, but having a new opponent, someone other than Presbyterian and G-W would be nice. I really liked when we took a tour of the P5 about a decade ago. Hit every conference in about 6 or 7 years. But that is the kicker, we got paid for it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 6th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I don't think there has ever been any type of "round robin" scheduling between the PL-IL. Lehigh has basically played Princeton every year for the last 20-25 seasons along with the steady dose of Yale. I really like the Princeton game. Penn is a long standing opponent but the series took a decade long hiatus until recently. Harvard, Cornell and Columbia usually pop up every few years. Lehigh hasn't played Brown since 2002 and Dartmouth even longer (1999 the week before Delaware iirc). I'd gladly take an early October roadie to Hanover.

I feel like Lehigh and Lafayette are the two most "Ivy Centric" schedulers. The 'Pards are annually tortured by Penn and Princeton. They also have occasional games with Harvard and Yale. I personally love the IL games because the stadiums/campuses are great. Plus, consider them quality FCS opponents.

cx500d
July 6th, 2017, 05:45 PM
ALSO would love to return to Southland vs MVFC OOC.

You are just trying to pad your win bucket....

BEAR
July 6th, 2017, 06:01 PM
You are just trying to pad your win bucket....

xlolx

chattownmocs
July 6th, 2017, 08:49 PM
BRING RASCATI HOME

He may be our head coach by then. You never know.

Gate83
July 6th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I feel like Lehigh and Lafayette are the two most "Ivy Centric" schedulers. The 'Pards are annually tortured by Penn and Princeton. They also have occasional games with Harvard and Yale. I personally love the IL games because the stadiums/campuses are great. Plus, consider them quality FCS opponents.

I'd say we've been as Ivy-centric as L&L (almost 100 games vs. Cornell helps), unfortunately we've had to move on a little bit with both Dartmouth & Princeton dropping us recently. Really, the way our schedules look the next few years my only wish is we bring some of our traditional Ivy games back... Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown... other than that, very happy where we're at.

DirtyDukes
July 7th, 2017, 07:47 AM
He may be our head coach by then. You never know.

The guy is a winner, if he's your head coach he'll win.

ysubigred
July 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM
1. Any team MAC

2. McNeese St.

3. JMU

4. DAYTON!!!

5. OVC ~ EKU, Murray, or EIU

Wish list extra: Louisville or UK xdrunkyx

Would be nice to rekindle the love fest we had with Marshall xeyebrowx

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2017, 09:27 AM
1. Any team MAC

2. Soft St.

3. JMU

4. SOFT!!!

5. OVC ~ Soft, Soft, or Soft

Wish list extra: Louisville or Soft xdrunkyx

FYP

McCowboys
July 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM
FYP

Mr. JSUSoutherner, while it is a fact that your Gamecocks have been one of the elites the last few years, overall (at least going back to 1994), JSU's record against McNeese is 1-7 by my calculations, but please feel free to check on that.
ysubigred, I had posted earlier on this thread that YSU is one team I would love the Cowboys to play regularly. Was the 1997 championship game the only time our two teams have met?

McNeese75
July 7th, 2017, 02:50 PM
McNeese and YSU have played other times in the past including 2002 in Youngstown, 2004 in LC.

And JSUSoutherner has only been old enough to go to games on his own for 4 or 5 years so history is lost on him xlolx

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Mr. JSUSoutherner, while it is a fact that your Gamecocks have been one of the elites the last few years, overall (at least going back to 1994), JSU's record against McNeese is 1-7 by my calculations, but please feel free to check on that.
ysubigred, I had posted earlier on this thread that YSU is one team I would love the Cowboys to play regularly. Was the 1997 championship game the only time our two teams have met?

I don't doubt you guys probably whipped us all over the Southland. After we moved to D1 we were pretty bad.

McNeese and YSU have played other times in the past including 2002 in Youngstown, 2004 in LC.

And JSUSoutherner has only been old enough to go to games on his own for 4 or 5 years so history is lost on him xlolx

Oh, I'm quite aware of the history.

I'm just also aware that history doesn't affect future games. If McNeese and YTS were to play next year I think it's more than fair to assume YTS would roll some heads given McNeese's performance recently.

Sader87
July 7th, 2017, 07:00 PM
I think by dint of both geography and history, Holy Cross probably is now the most "Ivy-centric" team in the PL. (This is where I bemoan the end of the College Football Database site) but HC has a long history with Dartmouth and Harvard, as well as many games with Brown and Yale historically.

HC is playing (or is currently scheduled to play anyway) Harvard and Yale for the next ten years, with games against Dartmouth and Brown in alternating years.

I don't mind the 3 Ivies a year actually....though I could see how some might think it's too many.

ElCid
July 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I think by dint of both geography and history, Holy Cross probably is now the most "Ivy-centric" team in the PL. (This is where I bemoan the end of the College Football Database site) but HC has a long history with Dartmouth and Harvard, as well as many games with Brown and Yale historically.

HC is playing (or is currently scheduled to play anyway) Harvard and Yale for the next ten years, with games against Dartmouth and Brown in alternating years.

I don't mind the 3 Ivies a year actually....though I could see how some might think it's too many.

So what is the deal with that database site? Down forever? It was a great source of all sorts of data. Sucks if it is gone for good.

McCowboys
July 7th, 2017, 08:56 PM
I don't doubt you guys probably whipped us all over the Southland. After we moved to D1 we were pretty bad.

I'm just also aware that history doesn't affect future games. If McNeese and YTS were to play next year I think it's more than fair to assume YTS would roll some heads given McNeese's performance recently.

I think that should be YSU. Would they really roll some heads? That's why we play the game -- or want to play the game -- so we can see how we match up.

You say that history doesn't affect future games and then refer to history. OK. That makes sense. ?

Anyway, I have always admired and had great respect for the Penguins. Maybe the lowly Cowboys can scrape their way into the playoffs again sometime and maybe get to play them again.

I would also like to play Delaware so that I could meet Mr. Chicken!

McNeese75
July 7th, 2017, 09:06 PM

Meh, we have faced a much bigger Bo coached team in the recent past and he had to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the last 20 seconds to nail that one down so I think it would be a good game. Well, as long as it is not a first round playoff game xlolx Those mofo's are kickin our ass.

ngineer
July 7th, 2017, 09:21 PM

Agreed. That would be a good one. However, I do agree with the original post that the series with Delaware must be renewed. A trip to Montana would be great.

JSUSoutherner
July 7th, 2017, 09:41 PM
I think that should be YSU. Would they really roll some heads? That's why we play the game -- or want to play the game -- so we can see how we match up.

You say that history doesn't affect future games and then refer to history. OK. That makes sense. ?

Anyway, I have always admired and had great respect for the Penguins. Maybe the lowly Cowboys can scrape their way into the playoffs again sometime and maybe get to play them again.

I would also like to play Delaware so that I could meet Mr. Chicken!
It should be. Yeah. It's been a long day. You got the idea anyway.

Saying that comparing performance from last year to determine a likely outcome for next year and comparing performance from 20+ years ago to determine a likely outcome for next year is the same is idiotic. Sorry.

McCowboys
July 8th, 2017, 07:55 AM
It should be. Yeah. It's been a long day. You got the idea anyway.

Saying that comparing performance from last year to determine a likely outcome for next year and comparing performance from 20+ years ago to determine a likely outcome for next year is the same is idiotic. Sorry.

It's been a long day for you, for sure. Where did I predict a likely outcome?

JSUSoutherner
July 8th, 2017, 08:55 AM
It's been a long day for you, for sure. Where did I predict a likely outcome?
You didn't. I did. I was responding to the "but you used history" thing.

ysubigred
July 10th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by ysubigred http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2496336#post2496336) 1. Any team MAC

2. Soft St.

3. JMU

4. SOFT!!!

5. OVC ~ Soft, Soft, or Soft

Wish list extra: Louisville or Soft xdrunkyx

FYP

I really like your #5 soft comment. As we found out last year any OVC team would be considered "SOFT" xthumbsupx So your cup cake thread flavor is my whole conference is a cup cake xrolleyesx

Sader87
July 10th, 2017, 09:47 AM
So what is the deal with that database site? Down forever? It was a great source of all sorts of data. Sucks if it is gone for good.

Good question....I'm really not sure what happened etc. I looked for it about a month ago and it was offline. Shame if it's gone for good.

JSUSoutherner
July 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM
I really like your #5 soft comment. As we found out last year any OVC team would be considered "SOFT" xthumbsupx So your cup cake thread flavor is my whole conference is a cup cake xrolleyesx

Keep in mind we lost to Sam Houston State too... then we crushed them 62-10 the following year :Dxthumbsupx

ST_Lawson
July 10th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Good question....I'm really not sure what happened etc. I looked for it about a month ago and it was offline. Shame if it's gone for good.

A couple of us are working on setting up a replacement site. I'm not sure if it'll be quite as easily "sortable" though (seeing things like record vs opponent, record vs conference, etc.) because that guy's database was really good. You can access some of the data from the site through the wayback machine though (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/w/western_illinois/index.php for example).

ysubigred
July 10th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind we lost to Sam Houston State too... then we crushed them 62-10 the following year :Dxthumbsupx

Doubt we'll see you all this year. According to the experts we'll be lucky to win 3 games losing all the talent from last year xdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
July 10th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Doubt we'll see you all this year. According to the experts we'll be lucky to win 3 games losing all the talent from last year xdrunkyx
Hopefully you guys do better than that. I'll be surprised if you guys don't make the playoffs, talent or not, Bo knows what he's doing.

Looking forward to an eventual rematch.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 03:11 PM
NDSU and YSU

BucBisonAtLarge
July 11th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Penn
Villanova
William and Mary

Richmond
Albany
Stony Brook

Delaware, regularly...

Son of Eli
July 11th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Coach Murphy of Harvard has demonstrated no interest in scheduling a tough OOC opponent like William & Mary. However, Coach Reno at Yale has the appetite to take on the challenge of playing William & Mary. Yale won the last match-up with William & Mary in 1987 in New Haven in a thrilling game. Time for a rematch in Williamsburg.

cx500d
July 11th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Coach Murphy of Harvard has demonstrated no interest in scheduling a tough OOC opponent like William & Mary. However, Coach Reno at Yale has the appetite to take on the challenge of playing William & Mary. Yale won the last match-up with William & Mary in 1987 in New Haven in a thrilling game. Time for a rematch in Williamsburg.

huh?

Son of Eli
July 11th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Holy Cross' record historically against the Ivy League isn't very good. They have competitive records with Brown and Dartmouth, but a losing record against Harvard and a horrendous record against Yale. Here from the College Football Database is Holy Cross' record against Ivy League competition from Internet archives:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150909194117/http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/h/holy_cross/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=87&restrictions=none

Son of Eli
July 11th, 2017, 09:34 PM
huh?
It's all relative. William & Mary is a powerhouse compared to Harvard's perennial OOC opponents Lafayette, Georgetown and Rhode Island.

cx500d
July 11th, 2017, 09:36 PM
It's all relative. William & Mary is a powerhouse compared to Harvard's perennial OOC opponents Lafayette, Georgetown and Rhode Island.

OK, the Theory of Relativity...I get it. Makes sense now.

Scrappy94
July 17th, 2017, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see Chattanooga in games vs Charleston Southern, Delaware, Eastern Washington, Illinois State, JMU, Kennesaw State, NDSU, Northern Iowa, Richmond, Tennessee State, and Youngstown State. I think we've been playing JSU too much over the last few years. I know most fans don't see it this way, but I'm getting bored of the same OOC games. I'd really like to see us schedule OOC vs teams from conferences other than the OVC or Big South. The OVC is not a great conference outside of JSU, and OVC OOC games are not helping our SOS outside of JSU. I'd really like to see us start scheduling some CAA OOC games.

Sader87
July 18th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Holy Cross' record historically against the Ivy League isn't very good. They have competitive records with Brown and Dartmouth, but a losing record against Harvard and a horrendous record against Yale. Here from the College Football Database is Holy Cross' record against Ivy League competition from Internet archives:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150909194117/http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/h/holy_cross/vs_conf_opponents.php?confid=87&restrictions=none

Like anything, you can skew the stats anyway. If you eliminate the first 9 losses against Harvard at the beginning of the series (1904-1924) and the 5-13 record against Harvard since HC went non-scholarship (1992-2012), the series is pretty even. Granted, the 4-27 record against the Eli is abysmal...but again can be explained to an extent that Yale hardly ever played HC when HC was strong from the 1930s-1960s or 1981-1991.