PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hauck Campaigning for Montana job.

GetEmGriz
July 3rd, 2017, 10:46 AM
Things just got a whole lot more interesting for Montana, and Montana head coach Bob Stitt. Former Griz head coach Bobby Hauck (2003-2009) seems to be campaigning for the Montana head coaching job. Bobby Hauck's record at Montana was 80-17, and 47-6 in the Big Sky.

Two years ago, rumors swirled that Bobby Hauck might return to Montana. He was released from UNLV at the same time as Montana was searching for it's next head coach (now Bob Stitt). It is known that Hauck applied for the coaching job and was in the final stages before the job was given to Bob Stitt.

Over the weekend, Hauck mentioned in an interview that he wants to "get the band back together" and give it another shot. With this news breaking, many Griz fans are now enamored with the idea of Hauck returning and many feel like the hot seat for Bob Stitt just got even hotter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmhIC5c_gyc

http://missoulian.com/sports/local/speltz-bobby-hauck-s-griz-coaching-bar-was-sky-high/article_44c54adf-78de-5407-97d1-b1ea7c0f4cc4.html

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 10:47 AM
Hauck > Stitt

Grizalltheway
July 3rd, 2017, 10:55 AM
Hauck > Stitt
How do you figure, they both have the same number of FCS titles to their names?

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 10:59 AM

Can Stitt already having more career conference losses play as a tiebreaker? Just an outsider eye test....

FormerPokeCenter
July 3rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
Somebody's in Deep Stitt now...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2017, 11:04 AM
Too bad Hauck didn't let Idaho State know about his plans back in January. Had he done so he'd be Idaho State's head coach.

Grizalltheway
July 3rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Can Stitt already having more career conference losses play as a tiebreaker? Just an outsider eye test....

Hauck was handed the keys to the Cadillac and kept it on the road.

Stitt came into a much less ideal situation and has been trying to run his system with players recruited for a completely different one.

RootinFerDukes
July 3rd, 2017, 11:27 AM
Are there examples of FCS schools letting a coach go, or them leaving on their own accord, only to eventually rehire them?

GetEmGriz
July 3rd, 2017, 11:50 AM
Hauck was handed the keys to the Cadillac and kept it on the road.

Stitt came into a much less ideal situation and has been trying to run his system with players recruited for a completely different one.

Bingo. Stitt has had to deal with a **** storm and had to lay down a new foundation.

Bisonoline
July 3rd, 2017, 11:51 AM
Total lack of class on Haucks part. You dont campaign for a position with a school who already has a sitting head coach.

Daytripper
July 3rd, 2017, 12:21 PM
Total lack of class on Haucks part. You dont campaign for a position with a school who already has a sitting head coach.

Agree. That won't play well throughout the coaching community.

mvemjsunpx
July 3rd, 2017, 01:45 PM

This reminds a bit of Pflugrad's weird Missoulian interview in 2013 while he was Weber's OC where all he did was pine for being Griz head coach again.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 3rd, 2017, 02:14 PM
You guys must not be familiar with ole Bobby

GetEmGriz
July 3rd, 2017, 02:26 PM
This reminds a bit of Pflugrad's weird Missoulian interview in 2013 while he was Weber's OC where all he did was pine for being Griz head coach again.

Add Ty Gregorak to the list of former coaches who said they would love to come back to Montana if the opportunity presented itself. After Ty announced he was going to Montana State, he said he would love to come back and be head coach for the Griz if that time comes. There aren't many Griz fans though who would welcome him back with open arms after he took a job with the rivals.

Grizalltheway
July 3rd, 2017, 02:34 PM
Add Ty Gregorak to the list of former coaches who said they would love to come back to Montana if the opportunity presented itself. After Ty announced he was going to Montana State, he said he would love to come back and be head coach for the Griz if that time comes. There aren't many Griz fans though who would welcome him back with open arms after he took a job with the rivals.

I wouldn't want him as head coach, and it has very little if anything to do with the fact he went to the cats.

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:02 PM
Are there examples of FCS schools letting a coach go, or them leaving on their own accord, only to eventually rehire them?

Dartmouth. Buddy Teevens.

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:05 PM

Lots of Griz fans, especially bigger supporters, like TG and would be happy to have him come back as head coach some day.

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:08 PM

What was weird about that? A guy gets wrongly fired, and then says later how much his likes and misses the school. Pflu was at my house today. He still loves and misses Missoula and UM.

slostang
July 3rd, 2017, 07:09 PM
He never said he wanted the Montana job. Only that he is ready to be a head coach again.

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:10 PM

He didn't campaign for the job. In an interview when he was visiting Missoula, he said he'd like to be a head coach again.

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:12 PM

Lots of very good coaches have never one a national championship.

Bisonwinagn
July 3rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
He never said he wanted the Montana job. Only that he is ready to be a head coach again.

This is what I thought as well. Getting the band back together could be at any school.

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 07:30 PM
He didn't campaign for the job. In an interview when he was visiting Missoula, he said he'd like to be a head coach again.

Wait, that's all that happened? Was he specifically asked that pseudo close ended question?

Green26
July 3rd, 2017, 07:33 PM
Wait, that's all that happened? Was he specifically asked that pseudo close ended question?

Listen to the clip in the link in first post.

Grizalltheway
July 3rd, 2017, 08:07 PM
Lots of very good coaches have never one a national championship.
Sure, but is Marv Levy remembered as a very good coach, or as the guy who lost 4 Super Bowls in a row?

JALMOND
July 3rd, 2017, 08:37 PM
I'm not hearing that Hauck necessarily was campaigning for the Montana job. I'm hearing that he is set to get back in to coaching again. At least in the news interview he never did mention "Montana", unless I missed it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 3rd, 2017, 10:32 PM
After this year I think Stitt is done and either Hauck or Joe Glenn would be a fine hire.

Like Hal Mumme, I suspect that Stitt may be a good innovator but just not a good coach.

mvemjsunpx
July 3rd, 2017, 11:19 PM
What was weird about that?

You mean… aside from the fact he was a major coach for another team playing against UM, and yet didn't seem to realize that team even existed?

Here's the link, for those that want to read it: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/pflugrad-left-part-of-his-heart-at-montana/article_9633c734-4da8-11e3-944e-0019bb2963f4.html

Schism55
July 3rd, 2017, 11:29 PM
After this year I think Stitt is done and either Hauck or Joe Glenn would be a fine hire.

Like Hal Mumme, I suspect that Stitt may be a good innovator but just not a good coach.
Joe retired 2 years ago, lol

Sader87
July 3rd, 2017, 11:54 PM
Different time/era but Dr Eddie Anderson left Holy Cross after coaching there from 1933-38 to go to Iowa only to return to HC to coach from 1950-1964. He was inducted into the College Hall of Fame in 1971.

Green26
July 4th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Sure, but is Marv Levy remembered as a very good coach, or as the guy who lost 4 Super Bowls in a row?

He is known for both. Has been in the NFL Hall of Fame for 15 years, a very good indication that the NFL believed he was a very good coach. Won 2 Grey Cup championships in the CFL.

cx500d
July 4th, 2017, 11:10 AM
He is known for both. Has been in the NFL Hall of Fame for 15 years, a very good indication that the NFL believed he was a very good coach. Won 2 Grey Cup championships in the CFL.

Or Bud Grant....

Grizalltheway
July 4th, 2017, 11:27 AM
They didn't make a 30 for 30 about his Grey Cups and I assure you the people of Buffalo don't give a **** about them.

mvemjsunpx
July 4th, 2017, 11:49 AM
They didn't make a 30 for 30 about his Grey Cups and I assure you the people of Buffalo don't give a **** about them.

Can we stop comparing Marv Levy to Bobby Hauck? Marv Levy is likeable.

BisonFan02
July 4th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Or Bud Grant....

Too bad he coached for the Vikings. He would have won somewhere else. :D

Grizalltheway
July 4th, 2017, 12:42 PM
xlolx

Schism55
July 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Hard to argue that. Also seems a bit, how to put this delicately, a bit dim. Who the F goes to UNLV to coach football? 15-48 there, well done bud lol

Grizalltheway
July 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Hard to argue that. Also seems a bit, how to put this delicately, a bit dim. Who the F goes to UNLV to coach football? 15-48 there, well done bud lol
Money, and it's not like anyone has really had success there, that I'm aware of.

Schism55
July 4th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Money, and it's not like anyone has really had success there, that I'm aware of.
That's exactly my point, certain lack of awareness taking that job.

mvemjsunpx
July 4th, 2017, 12:57 PM

True, though Hauck had a worse record than both his predecessor (Mike Sanford, who coached ISU(b) the last 4 years) and his successor.

I actually think Hauck's a pretty good coach, but he is a bit of a douche. I also find laughable the idea that Hauck returning will magically make things just as they were in the 2000-aughts. The Big Sky has more depth than it did ≈10 years ago.

Green26
July 4th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Levy is the best coach in Buffalo Bill history.

- - - Updated - - -

Bobby Hauck is a great guy.

GodHelpTheBears
July 5th, 2017, 09:17 PM
The Bills played in the first NFL playoff game of the 21st century. They have not been back since. They'd be better off with a 91 year old Marv Levy than folks like Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone.

cx500d
July 6th, 2017, 05:53 PM
The Bills played in the first NFL playoff game of the 21st century. They have not been back since. They'd be better off with a 91 year old Marv Levy than folks like Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone.

I've hated Chan Gailey since 1984...

srgrizizen
November 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM

Is it any dumber than going to Wyoming? Tripling your pay is a pretty good incentive.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Joe retired 2 years ago, lol

How about Dale Lennon....Or Rocky Hager?