PDA

View Full Version : UND looks for cure to 'brand confusion on steroids'.

Laker
July 3rd, 2017, 09:13 AM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article159321249.html

POD Knows
July 3rd, 2017, 09:43 AM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/article159321249.htmlWhat a bottomless pit of cash this logo thing has become up there. Were is this money coming from?

cx500d
July 3rd, 2017, 09:56 AM
What a bottomless pit of cash this logo think has become up there. Were is this money coming from?

Baseball, Women's Hockey, and Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving.

BisonFan02
July 3rd, 2017, 09:58 AM
Kennedy is trying to unify the school's message with a new $3 million branding initiative, with the slogan "Leaders in Action," as the school continues to work past a decision to replace its Fighting Sioux nickname and logo its sports teams had used. The new program is meant to go beyond athletics and unify the branding and message of a school that Kennedy says became defined by the nickname controversy.

Wow.....

BadlandsGrizFan
July 3rd, 2017, 04:47 PM
Holy **** that article was even confusing.

Hopefully Grizzly bears never learn how to talk or protest....I couldnt handle the **** UND orr the Sioux orrrr I mean the F Hawks have went through.

Poor ND Leader Hawks?

Laker
July 3rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
3 million could have gone a long ways towards saving that baseball team.

GodHelpTheBears
July 3rd, 2017, 05:12 PM
Another possible slogan is "lost 38-0 to Missouri State in football"

POD Knows
July 3rd, 2017, 05:16 PM
The hockey rubes at this joint are the only people keeping them from moving on with the new branding. These ****ers wear hockey jerseys to football games. They are complete morons. xcoffeex

Kemo
July 3rd, 2017, 06:23 PM
The title of this article made me believe reading the piece would give me a better understanding of the types of steroids the UND athletes were taking, but instead it just talked about some archaic logo.

How am I ever going to be able to hit the weight room like a Fighting Hawk football player if they keep holding out on me like this. Such a tease.

cx500d
July 3rd, 2017, 07:08 PM
The title of this article made me believe reading the piece would give me a better understanding of the types of steroids the UND athletes were taking, but instead it just talked about some archaic logo.

How am I ever going to be able to hit the weight room like a Fighting Hawk football player if they keep holding out on me like this. Such a tease.

The secret is Jazzercise and Bikram yoga....

Bisonwinagn
July 3rd, 2017, 07:31 PM
I wonder if the NCAA is in violation of the recent federal court ruling allowing logos to be used such as "slants" and "Redskins". Also it will be 30 years before the hockey fans stop saying Sioux.

cx500d
July 3rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
I wonder if the NCAA is in violation of the recent federal court ruling allowing logos to be used such as "slants" and "Redskins". Also it will be 30 years before the hockey fans stop saying Sioux.

To be fair, the case was just for Trademark rights to an "offensive" name.

Hammerhead
July 5th, 2017, 12:39 PM
North Dakota tax payers. :(

What a bottomless pit of cash this logo thing has become up there. Were is this money coming from?

POD Knows
July 5th, 2017, 12:41 PM
North Dakota tax payers. :(Seriously?? They have $3,000,000 laying around so UND can rebrand itself. You have got to be kidding me. How many millions has this fiasco cost the taxpayers of ND? Somebody must have some numbers laying around someplace.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 5th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Seriously?? They have $3,000,000 laying around so UND can rebrand itself. You have got to be kidding me. How many millions has this fiasco cost the taxpayers of ND? Somebody must have some numbers laying around someplace.

I thought in some GFherald article awhile back it said "alumni" are footing the bill for all this crap. IDK. IMO, tax payers shouldn't be on the hook for this crap.

BisonFan02
July 5th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I thought in some GFherald article awhile back it said "alumni" are footing the bill for all this crap. IDK. IMO, tax payers shouldn't be on the hook for this crap.

Even if not directly....that 3 million is coming from "somewhere" in a public institution. At a minimum, it is an opportunity cost on paper.

POD Knows
July 5th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Even if not directly....that 3 million is coming from "somewhere" in a public institution. At a minimum, it is an opportunity cost on paper.They should have a 50% surcharge on every hockey ticket because it is primarily those rubes that can't or won't move on.

Bisonoline
July 5th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Seriously?? They have $3,000,000 laying around so UND can rebrand itself. You have got to be kidding me. How many millions has this fiasco cost the taxpayers of ND? Somebody must have some numbers laying around someplace.

OK---they cut two sports and are moving to a new conference to cut down on travel expenses and there are more cuts coming. Plus all of there sports arent fully funded. But theyve got 3 million for rebranding??????????? What a dog and pony show they have going up there.

Bisonoline
July 5th, 2017, 07:41 PM

All depends on how the characterize the donations. Its called a shell game

RootinFerDukes
July 5th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Admitting not all states are the same, would und students be paying for this through their student athletic fees?
They allow tax payer funding from the state to touch the athletics department?

clenz
July 5th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Not all schools get 80% of their athletic funding by raping their student body.

NDB
July 5th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Or Iowa taxpayers...

Hammersmith
July 5th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Realistically, it's probably coming from money considered to be at the discretionary use of the president. I think most university presidents have money built into their budgets for projects that don't fall into typical categories. That money is usually a mix of general fund(state), tuition, and other sources.

On a much, much smaller scale, I remember a program I participated in at NDSU that was funded this way. Being a land-grant school, outreach was considered an important goal. The president at the time(Plough*, maybe?), had at least a five or six figure budget set aside for small programs that included outreach. Faculty would present proposals that would be approved or rejected from this discretionary fund. In our case, we got around $6k a year for three years to put on musical teaching performances to ND & MN schools. $1k for the faculty adviser, $1k each for the four student performers, and around another $1k for hotel rooms and state vehicle use. The money covered the prep work and three weeks of performances(averaged about 3 performances a day over 14 work days).

*Yes, an ag school had a president named Plough. The guy was a terrible fit for the university(think East coast private school mentality), and left after three years.

Bucs2016
July 5th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Wow. Interesting sort of. The hippies did this to D2 Newberry College here in SC. They were the Indians and went a year or two as the "Red & Grey" or something silly like that before settling on the Wolves. They have like 500 students and Newberry is middle of nowhere SC.

BUT....we sure dont wanna offend indians here in SC by honoring them with a school mascot....even though our beloved USC Gamecocks are named after the colonial general Thomas "Gamecock" Sumter (movie The Patriot) who slaughtered ****loads of actual Indians. Guess thats ok though.

RootinFerDukes
July 6th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Not all schools get 80% of their athletic funding by raping their student body.

So your argument is that it's better to make state tax payers fund something related to athletics than the actual students of said university?

Bucs2016
July 6th, 2017, 09:25 AM
So your argument is that it's better to make state tax payers fund something related to athletics than the actual students of said university?

You raise an interesting point. Here in SC there has been debate about state $ funding the USC and Clemson football facilities. Like USCs $20M scoreboard or a potential private plane for the 2 coaching staffs for recruiting. Seems wrong. But then consider 95% of USC and CU fans here didnt actually go there...but they are fanatical about the 2 teams, get immeasurable joy from it, adds to enjoyment of life in general, etc etc...and I wonder is it in fact worth it?

At least down here, college football is such a part of the fabric of our culture and we enjoy it so much, a little tax $ going to help those teams get better is ok with me. Guess its no different than NFL cities using tax $ on stadiums. In theory its wrong. But...we love it and want it. On Sundays in St Louis I bet many people wish they got charged an extra $1 each to fund a stadium. Now...they have no football there.

NDB
July 6th, 2017, 10:21 AM
yeah. taxes for sports.

the government will put me in jail and take my stuff so people can watch sports.

Hammerhead
July 6th, 2017, 12:54 PM
UND could drop back down to D-II and still compete at the highest level of hockey along with their peer institutions like Bemidji State. :)

IBleedYellow
July 6th, 2017, 02:30 PM
UND could drop back down to D-II and still compete at the highest level of hockey along with their peer institutions like Bemidji State. :)

Don't make their heads explode...

UNDColorado
July 6th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Another possible slogan is "lost 38-0 to Missouri State in football"

I can live with the NDSU guys taking shots. There is a lot of material out there...and their team is good enough where they can legitimately give anyone crap.

You on the other hand don't have a pot to piss in. Yes, you beat the crap out of us four years ago during the first year of our current coach's tenure after the previous coach drove the program into the ground. Congratulations. This fall we will return the favor and I will be sure to remind you of it every chance I get.

clenz
July 6th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I can live with the NDSU guys taking shots. There is a lot of material out there...and their team is good enough where they can legitimately give anyone crap.

You on the other hand don't have a pot to piss in. Yes, you beat the crap out of us four years ago during the first year of our current coach's tenure after the previous coach drove the program into the ground. Congratulations. This fall we will return the favor and I will be sure to remind you of it every chance I get.
Dude, you got crushed by a 3 win Missouri State team

Talk about you want about beating them in 2017. The rest of the MVFC has been doing it for decades

mmiller_34
July 6th, 2017, 04:07 PM

Or Women's Hockey.

UNDColorado
July 6th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Dude, you got crushed by a 3 win Missouri State team

Talk about you want about beating them in 2017. The rest of the MVFC has been doing it for decades

Dude, they crushed a 5-7 team with an entirely new coaching staff. Big accomplishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Or Women's Hockey.

Come on now, Women's hockey lost over $2M per year. It had to go.

clenz
July 6th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Dude, they crushed a 5-7 team with an entirely new coaching staff. Big accomplishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on now, Women's hockey lost over $2M per year. It had to go.
Missouri State has been bottom of the conference - sans Indiana States run from 04-08 - since 1990.

Getting worked by them, no matter the excuse, is always embarrassing.

Schism55
July 6th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Do these jokers in Grand Forks actively try to get people to despise them? If so, it's working great! xdrunkyx

GodHelpTheBears
July 6th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Terry Allen won about 1/3 of his games at Missouri State...

Professor Chaos
July 6th, 2017, 05:04 PM
The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education would tell you the answer is neither. It seems like they expect state universities to fund athletics as much as possible with private donations and AD revenues. They treat tuition increases like a 6 year old treats a trip to the dentist. They're also notoriously stingy with state funds because there's way too many state universities in ND but with UND that seems to be.... well, it's a long story that we don't need to get into here. Let's just say this amount spent on something like this raises a lot of eyebrows.

GodHelpTheBears
July 6th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Oh, I'm pissing in my pants at the UND fan who's gonna TROLL me when my alma mater's football team loses in September.

Not like the 50 fans on here of various MVFC teams don't do that already.

cx500d
July 6th, 2017, 05:17 PM

But Mussman was on Dale Lennon's staff during your national championship; surely he was trained.....Not sure if Misery State was your low point, or the loss to the NAIA team....

I'm trying to remember when the last time we had an entirely new coaching staff....

POD Knows
July 6th, 2017, 06:18 PM
The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education would tell you the answer is neither. It seems like they expect state universities to fund athletics as much as possible with private donations and AD revenues. They treat tuition increases like a 6 year old treats a trip to the dentist. They're also notoriously stingy with state funds because there's way too many state universities in ND but with UND that seems to be.... well, it's a long story that we don't need to get into here. Let's just say this amount spent on something like this raises a lot of eyebrows.UND is an inoperable cancer and the state legislature is the chemo treatment to a lost cause, but they are the flagship so, ND, keep pouring money into a dead town and a completely dysfunctional mess.

BisonTru
July 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM
So what's the over under on the number of task forces needed to develop a committee to develop a process for picking a committee that could develop a process that may or may not come up with a process to re brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2017, 06:52 PM
So what's the over under on the number of task forces needed to develop a committee to develop a process for picking a committee that could develop a process that may or may not come up with a process to re brand?

Eleventy Bajillion.

cx500d
July 6th, 2017, 07:35 PM
But Mussman was on Dale Lennon's staff during your national championship; surely he was trained.....Not sure if Misery State was your low point, or the loss to the NAIA team....

I'm trying to remember when the last time we had an entirely new coaching staff....

Oh I remember now, we won a national championship in the new staffs first year...

Go...gate
July 7th, 2017, 12:26 AM

Yep.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 7th, 2017, 06:08 AM
The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education would tell you the answer is neither. It seems like they expect state universities to fund athletics as much as possible with private donations and AD revenues. They treat tuition increases like a 6 year old treats a trip to the dentist. They're also notoriously stingy with state funds because there's way too many state universities in ND but with UND that seems to be.... well, it's a long story that we don't need to get into here. Let's just say this amount spent on something like this raises a lot of eyebrows.

Mayville State, Valley City State and a couple of junior colleges need to go. 11 higher institutions in ND is way too many.

IBleedYellow
July 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Eleventy Bajillion.

You catch on fast.

cx500d
July 7th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Mayville State, Valley City State and a couple of junior colleges need to go. 11 higher institutions in ND is way too many.

Fargo to Valley City or Mayville is what, about 60 miles? Valley City to Mayville I guess you could use pythagoreans theorem to figure that. Mayville to Grand Forks is like what, 50 miles? Four schools clustered that close together, I would say Mayville should be the one cut.

GodHelpTheBears
July 7th, 2017, 06:06 PM

11? Good lord. Missouri has 13 for 6 million people plus Chicagoland.

Southern Bison
July 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I agree. The state could shift a few of the small schools to a Vo-Tech/Community College style like MN has or eliminate some completely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
July 10th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Been saying this for years. Mary out in Bismarck should be a 2 year feeder program also. Bismark "state" I love how they try to sound bigger and more impressive by putting that in the name. They are not a land grant institution nor are they one of the two primary universities in the state of ND. But they have "State" in their name. Must make em feel important and more relevant xlolx

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Been saying this for years. Mary out in Bismarck should be a 2 year feeder program also. Bismark "state" I love how they try to sound bigger and more impressive by putting that in the name. They are not a land grant institution nor are they one of the two primary universities in the state of ND. But they have "State" in their name. Must make em feel important and more relevant xlolx

U of Mary is a private school.

cx500d
July 10th, 2017, 07:03 PM
U of Mary is a private school.

OK, then convert Jamestown College to a 2 year feeder program....

Hammerhead
July 10th, 2017, 08:07 PM
What would we do with the campuses that get closed? Turn them into prisons or giant rehab centers? Turn them back into farm land? Open really big paintball gaming areas?

F'N Hawks
July 10th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Same answer, chief.

BisonTru
July 10th, 2017, 08:19 PM
One bit I'll add being from western ND. I have no problem downsizing the number of colleges and I had no problems moving the 7 hours out to Fargo to go to NDSU. However, I had a couple of HS girlfriends who when we talked about future plans they had no interest moving that far away from home to go to school.

Or maybe they just didn't want to follow me. :( Eh, I spent most of college single and would strongly recommend going that route. xthumbsupx

POD Knows
July 10th, 2017, 08:24 PM
One bit I'll add being from western ND. I have no problem downsizing the number of colleges and I had no problems moving the 7 hours out to Fargo to go to NDSU. However, I had a couple of HS girlfriends who when we talked about future plans they had no interest moving that far away from home to go to school.

Or maybe they just didn't want to follow me. :( Eh, I spent most of college single and would strongly recommend going that route. xthumbsupxWhat, are you from Crosby, that is the only place in ND that is 7 hours from Fargo, hell, I used to drive from Mind Rot, ND to Fargo in 3.5 hours

BisonTru
July 10th, 2017, 08:26 PM
What, are you from Crosby, that is the only place in ND that is 7 hours from Fargo, hell, I used to drive from Mind Rot, ND to Fargo in 3.5 hours

Our family farm is right on the MT/ND border. Brother lives in MT, Dad lives in ND. You can make it in 6.5, but now that I have a kid and kids on the way it's going to be at least 7 hours.

POD Knows
July 10th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Our family farm is right on the MT/ND border. Brother lives in MT, Dad lives in ND. You can make it in 6.5, but now that I have a kid and kids on the way it's going to be at least 7 hours.
Yea, it would have probably been an 8 hour run during the oil boom, I used to travel that area on business back in the day. Can't say I miss it. One of my kids played hockey in Crosby once in a while. Interesting rink.

BisonTru
July 10th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Yea, it would have probably been an 8 hour run during the oil boom, I used to travel that area on business back in the day. Can't say I miss it. One of my kids played hockey in Crosby once in a while. Interesting rink.

Yeah it was bad, but now that things have died down and the roads have been built up it's really nice. There's a four lane bypass all the way around Watford City and Alexandria on your way to Williston. There's another bypass around Williston coming from Ray to Williston or around Williston.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2017, 08:39 PM
What, are you from Crosby, that is the only place in ND that is 7 hours from Fargo, hell, I used to drive from Mind Rot, ND to Fargo in 3.5 hours

My home town of Hettinger is close to that....but driving fast makes it shorter....

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2017, 08:40 PM
What would we do with the campuses that get closed? Turn them into prisons or giant rehab centers? Turn them back into farm land? Open really big paintball gaming areas?

Sell them to the public. Not to hard to understand.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 08:41 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/8d20ae51361050734dce54f06a651b6d/tenor.gif

That's the University of Jamestown to you peasant! :D

(Also a private school....and they are both fine. Haha)

POD Knows
July 10th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Yeah it was bad, but now that things have died down and the roads have been built up it's really nice. There's a four lane bypass all the way around Watford City and Alexandria on your way to Williston. There's another bypass around Williston coming from Ray to Williston or around Williston.Yea, I know, I was just out there, didn't recognize Watford City. Pretty quiet out there, lots of empty hotel rooms.

cx500d
July 10th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Same answer, chief.

Some people are so easy to troll.....

cx500d
July 10th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Sell them to the public. Not to hard to understand.

Convert to next gen Minuteman 4 silos

- - - Updated - - -

https://media.tenor.com/images/8d20ae51361050734dce54f06a651b6d/tenor.gif

That's the University of Jamestown to you peasant! :D

(Also a private school....and they are both fine. Haha)

Also hooked....

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Convert to next gen Minuteman 4 silos

- - - Updated - - -

Also hooked....

Not Really...I know better. xlolx :D

F'N Hawks
July 10th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Some people are so easy to troll.....

You sure get alot of people by being stupid. Nice work.

cx500d
July 10th, 2017, 09:56 PM
You sure get alot of people by being stupid. Nice work.

Oh yeah, you are so much smarter; never had I heard Jamestown was a private school....moron.

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah, you are so much smarter; never had I heard Jamestown was a private school....moron.

Poopy head!

geaux_sioux
July 10th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Oh I remember now, we won a national championship in the new staffs first year...

They completely changed schemes and inherited a **** roster if I remember correctly too....

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2017, 10:44 PM
They completely changed schemes and inherited a **** roster if I remember correctly too....

#perpetualrebuild