PDA

View Full Version : 14-Week Playing Regular Season: Yes or No?

bonarae
June 30th, 2017, 04:19 PM
The NCAA has moved forward with examination of the possibility of a permanent 14-week regular season.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-06-30/14-week-football-playing-season-be-examined?sf94356491=1
(http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-06-30/14-week-football-playing-season-be-examined?sf94356491=1)

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 30th, 2017, 04:26 PM
If they cap the regular season and have two bye weeks I like it for FBS. Allows more scheduling flexibility to and additional week of rest/recovery. If it's to play another game and generate money while ignoring the increased risk of injury than I oppose. Honestly, I was perfectly content with 11 game regular seasons in D1.

cx500d
June 30th, 2017, 04:36 PM
not for FCS....With a full playoff its too much. Fine for FBS or for posers from the Ivy or SWAC, etc...

GodHelpTheBears
June 30th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Yay, another loss every year

Laker
June 30th, 2017, 04:42 PM
If they cap the regular season and have two bye weeks I like it for FBS. Allows more scheduling flexibility to and additional week of rest/recovery. If it's to play another game and generate money while ignoring the increased risk of injury than I oppose. Honestly, I was perfectly content with 11 game regular seasons in D1.

I thought that the move to 12 was idiotic, just like the NFL going from 14 to 16. More is not better.

RichH2
June 30th, 2017, 05:03 PM
I thought that the move to 12 was idiotic, just like the NFL going from 14 to 16. More is not better.
+1

Billnonymous
June 30th, 2017, 05:23 PM
not for FCS....With a full playoff its too much. Fine for FBS or for posers from the Ivy or SWAC, etc...

that's how I feel about it too, possibility of playing 5 extra weeks is too much after 13 or 14 games.

Go...gate
June 30th, 2017, 05:24 PM
I'm for 11-12 games max.

Go...gate
June 30th, 2017, 06:45 PM

This.

RootinFerDukes
June 30th, 2017, 09:03 PM
No. I'm already enough of a football nerd with no life outside of consuming football in the falls. 11 plus playoffs is MORE than enough.

If 11-12 cfb games aren't enough, plus 16 nfl games, AFL and CFL all still aren't enough for you.... well, tough luck bud.

There's also costs, player safety, fans won't show up for more games, etc.

Bucs2016
June 30th, 2017, 09:14 PM
The NCAA has moved forward with examination of the possibility of a permanent 14-week regular season.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-06-30/14-week-football-playing-season-be-examined?sf94356491=1
(http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-06-30/14-week-football-playing-season-be-examined?sf94356491=1)

YES!

More football is better than less.

ElCid
July 1st, 2017, 12:29 AM
No for FCS. We don't need these young men getting more on their plate. Once in a while having 13-16 games occasionally for playoffs is fine, but not maybe 2-3 more every year, no.

Milktruck74
July 1st, 2017, 08:57 AM
I think the idea of dropping two a day practices is for safety of the players.....explain how adding a game is for anything other than revenue? And by revenue, I'm talking FBS (mostly).....but if that's what they want, It'll get pushed through despite of the risk to the players. They are basically saying, we are fine with a 8-9% increase in.......career ending injuries, concussions, time out of the classroom, etc. They forget STUDENT-athlete, the majority of these kids are not preparing for a life as a professional football player.

Bluefish845
July 1st, 2017, 09:23 AM
I think the idea of dropping two a day practices is for safety of the players.....explain how adding a game is for anything other than revenue? And by revenue, I'm talking FBS (mostly).....but if that's what they want, It'll get pushed through despite of the risk to the players. They are basically saying, we are fine with a 8-9% increase in.......career ending injuries, concussions, time out of the classroom, etc. They forget STUDENT-athlete, the majority of these kids are not preparing for a life as a professional football player.

This, at the FBS level it is all about $$$$$

walliver
July 1st, 2017, 09:47 AM
This, at the FBS level it is all about $$$$$

That applies to most of the P5.
At G5 level it is all about losing $$$$$.

walliver
July 1st, 2017, 10:06 AM
To me, the college football season is long enough. It roughly correlates with first semester. As it is, the first game may be played before regular students arrive, and the Championship Game is played after Christmas break.

And to be honest, at times I get "football fatigue" when it seems that every weekend revolves around attending or streaming a game. Unlike almost all other college sports, football contests are events, not games.

POD Knows
July 1st, 2017, 10:25 AM
No for FCS. We don't need these young men getting more on their plate. Once in a while having 13-16 games occasionally for playoffs is fine, but not maybe 2-3 more every year, no.Agree with this, these guys are supposed to be going to school as well, 11 regular season and maybe a few playoff games is plenty at the college level. Now, can somebody figure out a way to shorten up the NCAA College Baseball Tournament, JFC, that thing goes on forever.

dewey
July 1st, 2017, 11:35 AM
If the games are capped at 11 or 12 with a few bye weeks then I am OK with it. With the playoffs in the FCS a team that makes the title game could play 15 to 17 games in a season.

The NDSU coaches have said before that during those 5 title runs that the players end up playing another season equivalent of games.

Dewey

32counter
July 1st, 2017, 11:37 AM
If it means starting the season a little early in exchange for 2 bye weeks during the regular season count me in.

Recupperating and academics ain't a bad thing.

walliver
July 1st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Agree with this, these guys are supposed to be going to school as well, 11 regular season and maybe a few playoff games is plenty at the college level. Now, can somebody figure out a way to shorten up the NCAA College Baseball Tournament, JFC, that thing goes on forever.

There are a few schools, mostly in the northeast, who want to move the whole baseball season to the summer.

It makes no sense to me to play an entire season when most kids are out of school.

PAllen
July 1st, 2017, 12:21 PM
As much as I like more football. For FCS and lower tiers with real playoffs, this would be too much.

CHIP72
July 1st, 2017, 08:41 PM
I'd personally rather see DI-A/FBS go with an 11 game regular season schedule and a 16 team playoff system.

dgtw
July 1st, 2017, 09:02 PM
If they go to a 14 week season, how long until FBS approves a 13 game season.

They were limited to ten games in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
July 1st, 2017, 10:17 PM
If they go to a 14 week season, how long until FBS approves a 13 game season.

They were limited to ten games in my lifetime.

I remember when Ohio State was the only BIG team to only play 9 regular season games under Woody Hayes.

ngineer
July 1st, 2017, 10:33 PM
Absolutely ridiculous for FCS with the number of playoff games.

Milktruck74
July 3rd, 2017, 09:45 AM
If it means starting the season a little early in exchange for 2 bye weeks during the regular season count me in.

Recupperating and academics ain't a bad thing.

I remember more practice and meetings during a bye week than during the regular week....the only difference is we were free on Saturday. The idea is good, if coaches actually honor it.