PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's FCS Darkhorses

Gangtackle11
June 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/three-dark-horse-candidates-fcs-national-title-2017

Daytripper
June 29th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I nominate UCA if they fix the defense.

ASU33
June 29th, 2017, 02:30 PM

You took the words out of my mouth!

ElCid
June 29th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Interesting. Wofford is not a bad choice, but I hardly consider them a dark horse considering their run last year. I would pick Samford over Wofford at least in regard to SOCON teams. They could run it....but only if they get any kind of running game going.

SU DOG
June 29th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Interesting. Wofford is not a bad choice, but I hardly consider them a dark horse considering their run last year. I would pick Samford over Wofford at least in regard to SOCON teams. They could run it....but only if they get any kind of running game going.

Agree, and also we need to be a little bit better defensively. Could happen with players we have.

JSUSoutherner
June 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM

I don't think Hatcher knows what that means.

youcanbankit
June 29th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Look at Hatchers early years, he ran it as much as he passed it. Just been a while. I think he learned a lot last year and played to the teams strengths in the passing game. I think we will see more balance this year.

JSUSoutherner
June 29th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Look at Hatchers early years, he ran it as much as he passed it. Just been a while. I think he learned a lot last year and played to the teams strengths in the passing game. I think we will see more balance this year.
Remind me what his record was during those years again?

BEAR
June 29th, 2017, 08:34 PM

While UCA was one of the best in the nation in run defense, the pass defense was lacking. I know spring football isn't the best marker for measuring a pass defense, but if those two additional pass defenders coach brought in do what they did in spring, it's gonna be a much much better pass defense. Of course playing a pass heavy team like Sam won't help, but at least we held our own against EWU that had NFL drafted guys on it.

But the pass defense has got to be better and the offense can't keep starting slow. So frustrating.

Daytripper
June 29th, 2017, 08:36 PM
While UCA was one of the best in the nation in run defense, the pass defense was lacking. I know spring football isn't the best marker for measuring a pass defense, but if those two additional pass defenders coach brought in do what they did in spring, it's gonna be a much much better pass defense. Of course playing a pass heavy team like Sam won't help, but at least we held our own against EWU that had NFL drafted guys on it.

But the pass defense has got to be better and the offense can't keep starting slow. So frustrating.

You guys worry the **** out of me.....xsmhx

BEAR
June 29th, 2017, 08:39 PM
You guys worry the **** out of me.....xsmhx

sarcasm? Can't tell. Especially since you riddled our team over the middle so much last year.

Daytripper
June 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM
sarcasm? Can't tell. Especially since you riddled our team over the middle so much last year.

Not sarcasm. You guys are improving every year.

SU DOG
June 29th, 2017, 09:31 PM

He must have known something about it when he beat JSU in 2013. That game, at JSU, his Murray State team had only 109 yards passing compared to JSU's 334. JSU was a Playoff team that year(completely manhandling a beat up Samford Team). I know he likes the aerial attack, but he has recently said that we MUST have an improved running game. No argument for other MSU games vs JSU where the Racers were totally whipped, just pointing out that things can and have happened.

JSUSoutherner
June 29th, 2017, 10:27 PM
He must have known something about it when he beat JSU in 2013. That game, at JSU, his Murray State team had only 109 yards passing compared to JSU's 334. JSU was a Playoff team that year(completely manhandling a beat up Samford Team). I know he likes the aerial attack, but he has recently said that we MUST have an improved running game. No argument for other MSU games vs JSU where the Racers were totally whipped, just pointing out that things can and have happened.
Upsets happen.

Only took them four JSU turnovers and OT to beat us by one point. They haven't won another game against us in 13 years.

spdram
June 30th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Does this mean everyone ranked higher than these three teams are legitimate contenders for the title and thus cannot be a darkhorse?

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2017, 05:08 AM
Samford has a history of folding late in the season. Wofford has a history of standing toe to toe with the best in the country late in the season and putting them on the ropes.

DirtyDukes
June 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Nova's going to have to get A LOT MORE out of their QB if they want to go far.

caribbeanhen
July 1st, 2017, 06:21 AM
North Dakota State better get it going or I'll have to lower them back to FCS status

JMU is the other FBS team

all others are the Dark horse

Gangtackle11
July 1st, 2017, 06:26 AM
Nova's going to have to get A LOT MORE out of their QB if they want to go far.
No argument here.

youcanbankit
July 4th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Wofford has a history of standing toe to toe with the best in the country late in the season and putting them on the ropes.

Which history book are you reading from? Best in the country? in the playoffs? I like Wofford, and they do make the playoffs often. Got to give them that. Which games are you referring to toe to toe with the best in the country putting them on the rope?

KPSUL
July 4th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Which history book are you reading from? Best in the country? in the playoffs? I like Wofford, and they do make the playoffs often. Got to give them that. Which games are you referring to toe to toe with the best in the country putting them on the rope?

Wofford's last two playoff seasons: 2016- Lost by 7 in the second OT to Youngstown State; 2012- Lost by 7 to NDSU in the Fargo Dome.

Mattymc727
July 5th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I think Maine and Albany could be a darkhorse out of the CAA. UNH could make a run if they get much better QB play, but I suppose they aren't a darkhorse.

DirtyDukes
July 5th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I think Maine and Albany could be a darkhorse out of the CAA. UNH could make a run if they get much better QB play, but I suppose they aren't a darkhorse.

Agree with Maine - they played us better than almost anyone else in the CAA did last year (other than W&M and Spatters)

We didn't play the Danes last year so I have no idea on them

Gangtackle11
July 5th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Agree with Maine - they played us better than almost anyone else in the CAA did last year (other than W&M and Spatters)

You were beating Nova 10-7 when you scored 10 points (a very bad interception deep in our end led to the TD) in the final 4:43 to take a 20-7 win.

Nova had no problems beating Maine there.

DirtyDukes
July 5th, 2017, 08:37 AM
You were beating Nova 10-7 when you scored 10 points (a very bad interception deep in our end led to the TD) in the final 4:43 to take a 20-7 win.

Nova had no problems beating Maine there.

Aw, guy, I'm sorry. I meant to include you Cats. I just drink a lot. My bad.

Gangtackle11
July 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Aw, guy, I'm sorry. I meant to include you Cats. I just drink a lot. My bad.

All good. See ya October 14th down your way. xpeacex

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Seriously?

Wofford had Youngstown State all but beaten last year in the quarter finals on the road (in cold weather). A couple years earlier they lost by 7 to NDSU in the Fargo Dome. They lost by a score to Northern Iowa on the road in a game they easily could have won. They lost to Georgia Southern by 3 in the quarterfinals. Perhaps most impressively, they went to Montana in the post season and won a game traveling across the country and playing in 13 degree weather, something most FCS fans thought could not be done.

You would be hard pressed to find harder matchups in the postseason than Mike Ayers' Terriers. They pretty much give everyone fits.

DirtyDukes
July 5th, 2017, 09:14 AM
All good. See ya October 14th down your way. xpeacex

You coming down?

Gangtackle11
July 5th, 2017, 09:45 AM
You coming down?

I go to them all.

DirtyDukes
July 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Nice! Let's drink a beer.

youcanbankit
July 5th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Seriously?

Wofford had Youngstown State all but beaten last year in the quarter finals on the road (in cold weather). A couple years earlier they lost by 7 to NDSU in the Fargo Dome. They lost by a score to Northern Iowa on the road in a game they easily could have won. They lost to Georgia Southern by 3 in the quarterfinals. Perhaps most impressively, they went to Montana in the post season and won a game traveling across the country and playing in 13 degree weather, something most FCS fans thought could not be done..

You make good a point. Haven't cared for them much since I watched them in 1950, when they played and lost 19-6 to Florida State in the Cigar Bowl. To bad Mike Ayers wasn't coaching them, he would have played them tough and lost by 7. Just kidding. You make a good point.

I smell cigar smoke!

Redbird 4th & short
July 7th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Seriously?

Wofford had Youngstown State all but beaten last year in the quarter finals on the road (in cold weather). A couple years earlier they lost by 7 to NDSU in the Fargo Dome. They lost by a score to Northern Iowa on the road in a game they easily could have won. They lost to Georgia Southern by 3 in the quarterfinals. Perhaps most impressively, they went to Montana in the post season and won a game traveling across the country and playing in 13 degree weather, something most FCS fans thought could not be done.

You would be hard pressed to find harder matchups in the postseason than Mike Ayers' Terriers. They pretty much give everyone fits.

We had very similar game against UNI in 2011 regular season finale the week before your playoff loss to them .. us losing by 3 in OT. Completely outplayed them and lost. 1st downs 27 to 12, total yards 401 to 191, time of possession 42 to 18 mins. They netted 3 total yards in 1st half .. but we couldn't punch ball in end zone .. very cold windy day. They won in OT on incredible 40 yard FG straight into the wind that barely cleared post. We were ranked 14 at time and lost by 3 in OT to UNI team ranked in top 5 .. and got left out of playoffs.