PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State coach Dave Steckel gets 2-year contract extension

GodHelpTheBears
June 27th, 2017, 09:37 PM
This thread is bound for the back pages with a bullet, but why not: http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/06/27/msu-extends-coach-steckels-contract/

5-17 overall as a head coach, 2-14 in the MVFC
2 losses to Northern Iowa by a combined 95 points
3 wins against Division I competition
1 home win against a Division I team (LOL SIU)
Shut out five times (yes, MSU has scored 0 points as often as they have won)

I didn't think I'd ever need to make bleachy marys on a Tuesday, but here we are xdrunkyx

BisonTru
June 27th, 2017, 09:47 PM
What's a bleachy mary?

GodHelpTheBears
June 27th, 2017, 09:50 PM
What's a bleachy mary?

Some individuals prefer their bloody mary with a Clamato base, others with V8, and when the time calls for something especially stiff, Clorox

BisonTru
June 27th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Some individuals prefer their bloody mary with a Clamato base, others with V8, and when the time calls for something especially stiff, Clorox

xlolx

Gotcha.

GodHelpTheBears
June 27th, 2017, 09:58 PM
xlolx

Gotcha.

OK, I like Stec, but come on. Our university hands out contract extensions to our male coaches like they're candy - Terry Allen and Paul Lusk are two great examples, while an actual good coach like Kellie Harper has to, you know, ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING before getting a raise and extra years.

(I'm working a sexist angle against our administration, please play along or ignore. Nevertheless, what I stated above is true)

TheKingpin28
June 27th, 2017, 10:16 PM
I mean with how ****ty MSU has been, (borderline ISUb), he at least has them trending in the right direction. If he can do better than a .500 season that would be a solid season.

I see 4 winnable games.

Murray State
WIU
ISUb
SIU

I see 2 competitive and possible wins

ISUr
UNI (Clenz will tell you that this game will be closer than you believe)

I see 2 tough games that could go your way if you get the bounces

UND (I think they will regress but they have been trending upward until the playoffs)
YSU

I see 3 games that will take absolute collapses and a perfect A+ game to possibly win

Missery
SDSU
NDSU

There is no reason to not believe you can't finish anywhere between 4-7 all the way up to 6-5 assuming things all work out. If you get to 5 wins, that would be a good season but I think getting to 6 is what would be a "great season". Considering you went 3-7 against D1 and should have been 4-6, I see no reason why you can't get 4-7 this year. It is baby steps. Look at the good football programs in the Valley. They have all had their disappointments.

In 09, NDSU went 3-8 and that was one of the worst seasons in program history. 2 years later, they turn it around and win their 1st of 5 straight championships.

In 13, ISUr went 5-6 and then 2 years later had NDSU less than 1 minute away from losing in the NCAA Championship game.

In 10 and 11, SDSU went 5-6 both seasons and then this past season, they beat NDSU in the Fargodome and won a share of the Valley.

Between 11-16, YSU choked in November hard and missed the playoffs, and Bo shows up and in 2 seasons, has them back in the playoffs and even in the Championship game.

Do not be so pessimistic about Steckle. There is a lot to like about him and I think he will have a solid season this year.

GodHelpTheBears
June 27th, 2017, 10:19 PM
I mean with how ****ty MSU has been, (borderline ISUb), he at least has them trending in the right direction. If he can do better than a .500 season that would be a solid season.

I see 4 winnable games.

Murray State
WIU
ISUb
SIU

I see 2 competitive and possible wins

ISUr
UNI (Clenz will tell you that this game will be closer than you believe)

I see 2 tough games that could go your way if you get the bounces

UND (I think they will regress but they have been trending upward until the playoffs)
YSU

I see 3 games that will take absolute collapses and a perfect A+ game to possibly win

Missery
SDSU
NDSU

There is no reason to not believe you can't finish anywhere between 4-7 all the way up to 6-5 assuming things all work out. If you get to 5 wins, that would be a good season but I think getting to 6 is what would be a "great season". Considering you went 3-7 against D1 and should have been 4-6, I see no reason why you can't get 4-7 this year. It is baby steps. Look at the good football programs in the Valley. They have all had their disappointments.

In 09, NDSU went 3-8 and that was one of the worst seasons in program history. 2 years later, they turn it around and win their 1st of 5 straight championships.

In 13, ISUr went 5-6 and then 2 years later had NDSU less than 1 minute away from losing in the NCAA Championship game.

In 10 and 11, SDSU went 5-6 both seasons and then this past season, they beat NDSU in the Fargodome and won a share of the Valley.

Do not be so pessimistic about Steckle. There is a lot to like about him and I think he will have a solid season this year.

I already said I like him, I just think this step was taken too soon. This could have waited until January.

BisonTru
June 27th, 2017, 10:20 PM
OK, I like Stec, but come on. Our university hands out contract extensions to our male coaches like they're candy - Terry Allen and Paul Lusk are two great examples, while an actual good coach like Kellie Harper has to, you know, ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING before getting a raise and extra years.

(I'm working a sexist angle against our administration, please play along or ignore. Nevertheless, what I stated above is true)

I just want you to consider a bloody mary. It seems a more of a medium from lifes good to I'm going to blow up the AD's office. xdrunkyx

Btw, I'm going to go make a drink because it's Tuesday and lifes good.

TheKingpin28
June 27th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I already said I like him, I just think this step was taken too soon. This could have waited until January.

FCS Coaches want the FBS/P5 gig at the end of the day, so giving him extension shows they have faith in him and hope he does not go looking elsewhere. It took me 20 minutes to type that so I originally did not see the part that said you liked him.

GodHelpTheBears
June 27th, 2017, 10:41 PM
FCS Coaches want the FBS/P5 gig at the end of the day, so giving him extension shows they have faith in him and hope he does not go looking elsewhere. It took me 20 minutes to type that so I originally did not see the part that said you liked him.

Stec is 59, he isn't as big of a flight risk. I guess there are your Mike Riley types, but he's an unusual case - a long time P5 head coach and even a head coach in the NFL.

Kemo
June 28th, 2017, 12:22 AM

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--eO508DRt--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/y6i92grfflfrxabnrsjx.gif