View Full Version : Lafayette: Curiouser and Curiouser

carney2
June 27th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Just when you think that the Leopards finally got their act together by learning how to hire a coach - and replicating it by using much the same tactic for a women's basketball hire - things just continue to crumble. Paul Reinhard, retired sports editor and Lafayette football guru for the Allentown Morning Call, reports in his blog that new head football coach John Garrett has suffered four defections (Reinhard's term) from his staff, plus the Equipment Services Director. Reinhard also reports that Garrett's "football operations budget" has been handed a "major cut" by the administration.

I've been following Pard sports for many, many decades and this seems to hint at more of the same. Every step forward is followed by a seemingly endless series of retreats. The trend line has been consistently pointing downhill since the 1950s. Periods of success are inevitably followed by catastrophic failure, frequently aided and abetted by the College administration. Is this program headed for Division 3? Well, not in the foreseeable future, but I defy anyone to name a more likely candidate. (For you Lehigh types who read this with a smile on your face, I point out that without that Saturday before Thanksgiving football game on your schedule, you become just another eastern college with not a heluva lot going for it athletically. One day a year Lafayette and Lehigh pull each other out of the depths of mediocrity and on to a national stage.) The faculty, Board of Trustees and administration would not shed a tear if it happened. Here's hoping that none of this comes to pass in my lifetime.

Fordham
June 27th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Sorry to hear it, carney. I really thought Garrett was going to bring about a full turnabout for the Pards. It really would be a travesty to have those facilities and all that potential continue to languish due to an administration that isn't just ambivalent but openly hostile to the program having success. Can never understand why they would spend the money they do only in order to sabotage the program. Why not try to be excellent in all things?

kdinva
June 27th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I hope the administration gets things back in line....otherwise Lafayette football may be headed to the Pioneer.......

LUHawker
June 27th, 2017, 10:41 AM
(For you Lehigh types who read this with a smile on your face, I point out that without that Saturday before Thanksgiving football game on your schedule, you become just another eastern college with not a heluva lot going for it athletically. One day a year Lafayette and Lehigh pull each other out of the depths of mediocrity and on to a national stage.)

I doubt any Lehigh folks would enjoy seeing our arch rival drift off into irrelevancy. We don't have to like each other once a year, but that doesn't mean we want to see it disappear.

Bucs2016
June 27th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Just when you think that the Leopards finally got their act together by learning how to hire a coach - and replicating it by using much the same tactic for a women's basketball hire - things just continue to crumble. Paul Reinhard, retired sports editor and Lafayette football guru for the Allentown Morning Call, reports in his blog that new head football coach John Garrett has suffered four defections (Reinhard's term) from his staff, plus the Equipment Services Director. Reinhard also reports that Garrett's "football operations budget" has been handed a "major cut" by the administration.

I've been following Pard sports for many, many decades and this seems to hint at more of the same. Every step forward is followed by a seemingly endless series of retreats. The trend line has been consistently pointing downhill since the 1950s. Periods of success are inevitably followed by catastrophic failure, frequently aided and abetted by the College administration. Is this program headed for Division 3? Well, not in the foreseeable future, but I defy anyone to name a more likely candidate. (For you Lehigh types who read this with a smile on your face, I point out that without that Saturday before Thanksgiving football game on your schedule, you become just another eastern college with not a heluva lot going for it athletically. One day a year Lafayette and Lehigh pull each other out of the depths of mediocrity and on to a national stage.) The faculty, Board of Trustees and administration would not shed a tear if it happened. Here's hoping that none of this comes to pass in my lifetime.

Welcome to the club man!!! We have the same problem. The CSU admin has a loooong history of creating obstacles for the football (and basketball) programs whenever the teams are about to get over that next hump. They all but ran Chadwell out of town. They hamstrung David Dowd as the program tried to go D3 to D1 overnight. And they screwed with Jay Mill upon his intial success...but then embraced him at the end as the program collapsed.

They founded football in 1991 to boost enrollment and exposure and ONLY that. Not to actually win.

They do next to nothing for facilities. I could write you a novel on all the BS they've done to the team, including witch hunt suspensions for years and years over vague campus "policies". In 2002 we FINALLY got that game vs The Citadel we've always wanted. What happens? School sends RAs to a football party the Thursday before. Pics of players w red Solo cups emerge. Admin says it HAS to be alcohol. They suspended 8 starters Friday before the game. We get blown out (not an excuse for losing, Citadel was better than us that year, but game would've been closer).

Its like 2 different schools there. The athletics side and admin side. But despite it all....the coaches who come in ALWAYS seem to get that program over the next hump slowly but surely. Former players and coaches have quite a bond after playing there because its almost literally them against everyone else, even on campus! We jokingly said we were like the team in that movie Necessary Roughness!

Bucs2016
June 27th, 2017, 11:19 AM
But thats messed up at Lafayette. Hope yall get it all worked out. Its common to have defectors when a new HC comes in though.

Its disgusting to see an admin work against a program. Football and hoops bring so much character and spirit to a campus. Football especially.

RichH2
June 27th, 2017, 11:21 AM

No joy for Pards continued tumult. Love beating Pards in every sport but a continuation of the devolution is not a bonus for Lehigh. Our rivalry could over time become trivial. Not as sanguine tho carney. I've lived thru long stretches when you kicked the crap out of us in most sports.Hopeful that this downturn will turn around ( well not too fast I still want to beat you as often as possible)
Very surprised at all the quick defections on the football staff. Not at all the way you start to rebuild the program.
Any word why??

Bucs2016
June 27th, 2017, 11:25 AM
No joy for Pards continued tumult. Love beating Pards in every sport but a continuation of the devolution is not a bonus for Lehigh. Our rivalry could over time become trivial. Not as sanguine tho carney. I've lived thru long stretches when you kicked the crap out of us in most sports.Hopeful that this downturn will turn around ( well not too fast I still want to beat you as often as possible)
Very surprised at all the quick defections on the football staff. Not at all the way you start to rebuild the program.
Any word why??

That would be sad. Rivalries are critical for the energy of a program.

carney2
June 27th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Any word why??

The cone of silence has descended. But, then, that has been the Lafayette way for decades now. One thing that I find particularly discouraging is that Paul Reinhard, the journalist that I mentioned in the post that stated this thread, does not appear to have been able to establish a real relationship with Coach Garrett. Some on the Lafayette board seem to be faulting Reinhard for this because he was too close to former coach Frank Tavani. I'm not so sure.

dgtw
June 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Why do you call them the Pards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichH2
June 27th, 2017, 11:57 AM

A variety of reasons but simple answer is that it is short for Leopards. :)

CHIP72
June 27th, 2017, 12:11 PM

In addition to what Rich said, the Lehigh Valley media (in particular the Allentown Morning Call and Easton Express-Times) often calls them the 'Pards.

dgtw
June 27th, 2017, 12:19 PM
A variety of reasons but simple answer is that it is short for Leopards. :)

Thanks.

Andy
June 27th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Haha. Not all of us are on ledge watch and can't wait to watch the program develop under Coach Garrett. A closer look at the "defections" and "crumbling" (an unbelievable choice of terminology).

The "DEFECTIONS":

1) a no pay operations asst who followed JG from Richmond who left for his first coaching job at a D-III

2) a low pay 2nd year alum asst who left for a job at his high school. See https://twitter.com/search?q=coach%20chi&src=typd for his statement

3) young alum DL coach who left coaching; already replaced

4) QB Coach/OC former pro baseball and NFL QB in his first college coaching job. Has left 4 jobs (HS) in 5 years. Back to homes in TX and FL.

Somehow I think Coach will survive.

Didn't Lehigh lose at least one coordinator and high level assistants in the last few years? Were they called "defections" from Coach Coen's staff? How about the guys leaving HC in droves?

RE the "Major budget cut:"

2016 figures:

FU $6.003 mil
Gate $5.628
LC $5.622
HC $5.186
LU $4.953
Buck $4.594

Reinhard says the cut "approaches six figures." Our budget last year included the $100,000 fee from Army. We don't have an FBS game until next year. That's the "cut."

We have legit concerns with our athletics leadership, for sure, but Reinhard's info was fake negativity.

Some of us are excited about the incoming QB talent and the class overall. Looking forward to Pard football under Coach Garrett.

DFW HOYA
June 27th, 2017, 12:44 PM

2016 figures:
FU $6003 mil
Gate $5628
LC $5622
HC $5186
LU $4953
Buck $4594

Added:
Gtown $1822

RichH2
June 27th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Haha. Not all of us are on ledge watch and can't wait to watch the program develop under Coach Garrett. A closer look at the "defections" and "crumbling" (an unbelievable choice of terminology).

The "DEFECTIONS":

1) a no pay operations asst who followed JG from Richmond who left for his first coaching job at a D-III

2) a low pay 2nd year alum asst who left for a job at his high school. See https://twitter.com/search?q=coach%20chi&src=typd for his statement

3) young alum DL coach who left coaching; already replaced

4) QB Coach/OC former pro baseball and NFL QB in his first college coaching job. Has left 4 jobs (HS) in 5 years. Back to homes in TX and FL.

Somehow I think Coach will survive.

Didn't Lehigh lose at least one coordinator and high level assistants in the last few years? Were they called "defections" from Coach Coen's staff? How about the guys leaving HC in droves?

2016 figures:

FU $6.003 mil
Gate $5.628
LC $5.622
HC $5.186
LU $4.953
Buck $4.594

Reinhard says the cut "approaches six figures." Our budget last year included the $100,000 fee from Army. We don't have an FBS game until next year. That's the "cut."

We have legit concerns with our athletics leadership, for sure, but Reinhard's info was fake negativity.

Some of us are excited about the incoming QB talent and the class overall. Looking forward to Pard football under Coach Garrett.

Coaches leave all the time particularly assts. Paul went a bit off here. LU lost OC to Elon.DC basically retired altho still on staff. Not unusual. The unusual part comes in with the timing of the departures . That is not a plus for program.
Comparing amts spent for football in PL at best only approximate given the different accounting measures used by schools. Pards justifiably renowned for their creativity here. Too lazy to look it up but during the switch to schollies and the Title IX issues for Pards it was noted that cartying charges for capital expenses were also be included in football budget. Dont know whether they still are but likely that sum may acvount for a portion of the claimed football expenses. LU budgets all capital expenditures in the overall school budget.

Go...gate
June 27th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Did Lafayette cut any scholarships?

carney2
June 27th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Two reasons that I know of:

1. As RichH already stated, it comes from LeoPARDS.

2. Also, one of the primary early benefactors of the College was Ario PARDee, a coal baron of the 19th century.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 27th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Spending is such an arbitrary number when it comes to the overall commitment to the program. Lafayette has plenty of wealth in terms of the school's endowment and their alumni base. Their facilities are a result of the alumni far more so than it is the administration. The problems at Lafayette seem deep rooted imo. Their football program has been up and down for the last 80 years. Given their facilities and location they should be a nationally relevant FCS program. As it is, they're arguably the greatest enigma in FCS. Lafayette has one 9 win since season since WW2. Why the administration/athletic department has failed to figure it out is beyond me. It has a similar feel to what Temple went through in the 90's.

The overall athletic department is subpar. Basketball is like football. Every once in a while the stars align but far too often they're terrible.

Lehigh simply emphasizes athletics far more imo. They seem to consider athletics as a key part to being a highly competitive national university. With that said, it's not like Lehigh is racking up national titles in anything....:p. The administration still runs a tight ship....

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 27th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Coaches leave all the time particularly assts. Paul went a bit off here. LU lost OC to Elon.DC basically retired altho still on staff. Not unusual. The unusual part comes in with the timing of the departures . That is not a plus for program.
Comparing amts spent for football in PL at best only approximate given the different accounting measures used by schools. Pards justifiably renowned for their creativity here. Too lazy to look it up but during the switch to schollies and the Title IX issues for Pards it was noted that cartying charges for capital expenses were also be included in football budget. Dont know whether they still are but likely that sum may acvount for a portion of the claimed football expenses. LU budgets all capital expenditures in the overall school budget.

Assistant coaches at this level are a revolving door. I've learned not to get attached to any of them. I knew Folmar wasn't going last. The only surprising thing is he didn't leave for a HC gig. You simply have to trust the head coach's ability to handle the turnover. Coen was extremely shaky in the beginning but has really nailed the recent hires. The only miss might have been Botts. It seemed like a great idea on paper but didn't work out. Thankfully, it was a short stint anyway.

Andy
June 27th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Did Lafayette cut any scholarships?

No Go..gate. In fact the number is rising; this year may be the first where we're at the 60 limit. (Friends of Football funding 4).

Lehigh'98
June 27th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Assistant coaches at this level are a revolving door. I've learned not to get attached to any of them. I knew Folmar wasn't going last. The only surprising thing is he didn't leave for a HC gig. You simply have to trust the head coach's ability to handle the turnover. Coen was extremely shaky in the beginning but has really nailed the recent hires. The only miss might have been Botts. It seemed like a great idea on paper but didn't work out. Thankfully, it was a short stint anyway.

Bott will still be calling the defense this year. Garrett is more than capable of calling plays for a year at Lafayette. The other three coaches who left probably weren't getting any money and weren't very high up. Too early for the sky to be falling under Garrett yet. Even with subpar talent, he should get 4-6 wins this year.

carney2
June 27th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Spending is such an arbitrary number when it comes to the overall commitment to the program. Lafayette has plenty of wealth in terms of the school's endowment and their alumni base. Their facilities are a result of the alumni far more so than it is the administration. The problems at Lafayette seem deep rooted imo. Their football program has been up and down for the last 80 years. Given their facilities and location they should be a nationally relevant FCS program. As it is, they're arguably the greatest enigma in FCS. Lafayette has one 9 win since season since WW2. Why the administration/athletic department has failed to figure it out is beyond me. It has a similar feel to what Temple went through in the 90's.

The overall athletic department is subpar. Basketball is like football. Every once in a while the stars align but far too often they're terrible.

Lehigh simply emphasizes athletics far more imo. They seem to consider athletics as a key part to being a highly competitive national university. With that said, it's not like Lehigh is racking up national titles in anything....:p. The administration still runs a tight ship....

Well stated. It must be the Temple portion of your background shining through. A few comments:

Actually, the administration has figured it out. Things are, in my opinion, going pretty much as they desire.

And, yes, Lehigh has figured it out. The athletic difference between the two schools is, quite simply, institutional support and commitment.

Andy
June 27th, 2017, 02:11 PM

I believe the administration lives in fear of "the slippery slope." LC needs a quality AD with authority to run the dept. They're amidst an "athletics study" now overdue. We await the conclusions.

AFA bball, yes maddeningly inconsistent. A year or so ago I tallied up and posted PL tournament wins over a certain period (since we had belatedly gone to scholarships). LC was tops. Fran had us in the tourney final 4 times in a recent 6 year period with 1 title. Then the bottom again dropped out. Tavani of course won 4 football titles over 10 years. This seems to fulfill the admins expectations. Fans see much more potential. Hey, for football at least, it's a new era!

ngineer
June 27th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Added:
Gtown $1822.50

Fixed it for ya!

ngineer
June 27th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Two reasons that I know of:

1. As RichH already stated, it comes from LeoPARDS.

2. Also, one of the primary early benefactors of the College was Ario PARDee, a coal baron of the 19th century.

Reminds me of a joke I played on my pastor several years ago. With a number of LC alums on our Board, I placed on the agenda for our monthly meeting, which was the Tuesday before The Rivalry game, under 'new business' a reminder about the funeral the upcoming Sunday for a Mr. "Leo Pard". The pastor saw this and got all concerned because he did not have it in his schedule book and came to the meeting because he had scoured the church roll and could not find a "Pard" family on the list and figured it must be a relative of a member. Needless to say, the two LC grads on the board "eventually" figured it out, and the women just shook their heads.

ngineer
June 27th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Rheinhard should hang it up. You are correct in that he seemed tight with Tavani who loved the ass-kissing. I swear, I laughed out loud a few times last year when I read his pre-game column that concluded with LC winning almost every time by a convincing score. It's one thing to be supportive, but another to be just a lap dog. Groller, who covers Lehigh for the MC, is usually positive and optimistic for the Brown & White, but he isn't the sycophant that Paul is. Maybe Paul has had his ego bruised and so he will 'stir' the pot a bit....OR, it's part of an overall scheme to paint a picture of low expectations with a program in disarray. That way, Garrett comes out looking pretty good if he can end up around .500 this year.

RichH2
June 27th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Reminds me of a joke I played on my pastor several years ago. With a number of LC alums on our Board, I placed on the agenda for our monthly meeting, which was the Tuesday before The Rivalry game, under 'new business' a reminder about the funeral the upcoming Sunday for a Mr. "Leo Pard". The pastor saw this and got all concerned because he did not have it in his schedule book and came to the meeting because he had scoured the church roll and could not find a "Pard" family on the list and figured it must be a relative of a member. Needless to say, the two LC grads on the board "eventually" figured it out, and the women just shook their heads.

LOL. Priceless

DFW HOYA
June 27th, 2017, 06:22 PM

George P. Burdell would be proud.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/68211/meet-georgia-tech-graduate-who-never-existed

Franks Tanks
June 27th, 2017, 10:11 PM
I heard from a very reliable source that the Pards are fully funded with 60 scholarships. We continue to have top notch facilities for the Patriot League. I don't know the assistant salaries, or the overall pool of money, but Garrett has assembled a quality staff. This includes a high quality DC who came from another program in the league, a good young OL coach, a special teams/recruiting coordinator from an FBS school and several solid young coaches to fill the low salary positions. Garrett knows what he's doing, and is a real football coach. It will take some time, but he is changing the culture of the program, and is taking the proper steps to be successful.

Athletics as a whole needs work, but I am happy with the current level of support for the football program.

Franks Tanks
June 27th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Rheinhard should hang it up. You are correct in that he seemed tight with Tavani who loved the ass-kissing. I swear, I laughed out loud a few times last year when I read his pre-game column that concluded with LC winning almost every time by a convincing score. It's one thing to be supportive, but another to be just a lap dog. Groller, who covers Lehigh for the MC, is usually positive and optimistic for the Brown & White, but he isn't the sycophant that Paul is. Maybe Paul has had his ego bruised and so he will 'stir' the pot a bit....OR, it's part of an overall scheme to paint a picture of low expectations with a program in disarray. That way, Garrett comes out looking pretty good if he can end up around .500 this year.
I think this is a fair assessment. Paul loves Frank, and bought into his whoh is me narrative. Frank brainwashed Paul, and Paul didn't like that Frank got fired.

CHIP72
June 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM
It doesn't matter how much someone loves a coach; 3-19 over 2 years (and generally mediocre records prior to that) is 3-19 over 2 years.

carney2
June 28th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Coaches leave all the time particularly assts.

So true, but 4 "defections" for mostly new hires before even one game is played? ... ? It just doesn't smell right.

citdog
June 28th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Rocco has had defections from Delaware but you don't hear them screaming about the sky falling.

DFW HOYA
June 28th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Actually, the administration has figured it out. Things are, in my opinion, going pretty much as they desire. And, yes, Lehigh has figured it out. The athletic difference between the two schools is, quite simply, institutional support and commitment.

Another concern? Once there was a time when any PL team except Georgetown could make an honest claim to recruits that they could win a PL title. That won't happen as programs settle into a full scholarship era. Schools like Lehigh and Colgate now want recruits to know that they are the top tier and that Lafayette and Holy Cross are not. If LC goes along to get along, it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

kdinva
June 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Haha. Not all of us are on ledge watch and can't wait to watch the program develop under Coach Garrett. A closer look at the "defections"

VMI's Assistant DB Coach, Josh Zidenberg, is headed to Easton......as did VMI's O-Line coach back in February.

citdog
June 28th, 2017, 08:03 PM
VMI's Assistant DB Coach, Josh Zidenberg, is headed to Easton....

OMG! A DEFECTION! vmi should discuss shuttering the program.

xrolleyesx

ngineer
June 28th, 2017, 10:19 PM
George P. Burdell would be proud.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/68211/meet-georgia-tech-graduate-who-never-existed

Very cool "tradition"!

Go...gate
June 28th, 2017, 11:01 PM
So true, but 4 "defections" for mostly new hires before even one game is played? ... ? It just doesn't smell right.

One would think this would be a kind of "honeymoon period" as they rebuild the program.

ngineer
June 29th, 2017, 01:16 PM
One would think this would be a kind of "honeymoon period" as they rebuild the program.

So I guess Garrett didn't invite Rheinhard to the honeymoon suite at the Lafayette Inn!

carney2
June 30th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Some of the air seems to have gone out of the Garrett balloon on College Hill. Still, he has yet to coach a game - and there is a lot more hope than there was before Thanksgiving. We are all looking forward to the opener at Monmouth and praying that somehow, some way, more than just the 4,000 or so who will squeeze into the renovated one-sided field for the dedication will get to see it.

Fordham
June 30th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Carney, you're not buying andy's line that there's nothing to see here? Why not take a leap? Guy has a good pedigree. Get behind him. I think he can work wonders there.

carney2
July 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM
Carney, you're not buying andy's line that there's nothing to see here? Why not take a leap? Guy has a good pedigree. Get behind him. I think he can work wonders there.

You speak volumes of wisdom, as does Andy. It is difficult to conjure up any scenario where things do not improve. My problem - and I freely confess that it is MY problem - is that I've been watching this play out for far too long. At Lafayette, every step forward is always followed by three steps back. The trend line has been consistently going downhill for my adult lifetime. I've just had it with being disappointed, so I guess I just get out in front of it and expect the worst. The core problem for me is that nothing's changed. Oh, they've adopted new and rational strategies for hiring coaches, and they've made two seemingly exceptional hires, but the basic problems in high places don't appear altered at all. For me, THE key will be the current, delayed study of athletics. After all is said and done, if the organization chart still has the Athletic Director reporting to someone who used to pass out dorm keys and whose primary goal in life is LGBT causes (Bruce McCutcheon's current boss), and not the President of the College, I'll be turning in my Leopard gear and packing it in. I'm running out of time.

ngineer
July 1st, 2017, 10:28 PM
You speak volumes of wisdom, as does Andy. It is difficult to conjure up any scenario where things do not improve. My problem - and I freely confess that it is MY problem - is that I've been watching this play out for far too long. At Lafayette, every step forward is always followed by three steps back. The trend line has been consistently going downhill for my adult lifetime. I've just had it with being disappointed, so I guess I just get out in front of it and expect the worst. The core problem for me is that nothing's changed. Oh, they've adopted new and rational strategies for hiring coaches, and they've made two seemingly exceptional hires, but the basic problems in high places don't appear altered at all. For me, THE key will be the current, delayed study of athletics. After all is said and done, if the organization chart still has the Athletic Director reporting to someone who used to pass out dorm keys and whose primary goal in life is LGBT causes (Bruce McCutcheon's current boss), and not the President of the College, I'll be turning in my Leopard gear and packing it in. I'm running out of time.

The AD doesn't report directly to the President??? That's ridiculous and does say alot. Years ago, Lehigh gave Sterrett the title of Dean of Athletics, which I think sent a message that the administration was elevating the importance of athletics, as well as sending a message to the faculty. I think Lafayette's faculty have been a problem for many of LC's coaches over the years.

carney2
July 2nd, 2017, 02:10 PM
This is also extracted from the Paul Reinhard blog that precipitated this thread:

"All of these situations and I haven't even mentioned the college-wide study of athletics. The April deadline has now been extended to September or October. I don't know what's going to change in the interim to affect the report. I haven't heard one positive comment about the process. Maybe the people at Intercollegiate Athletic Consulting can't find a lot of nice things to say and the people at Lafayette don't want to hear more negativity. Maybe Andrew Fellingham et al are digging deeper than anyone expected. I guess we just wait."

The cheerleader types on the Lafayette board tell us that this is just another indication that Reinhard was too close to Tavani and has somehow lost his journalistic objectivity. Never fear, all is well. It always is at Lafayette, isn't it?

RichH2
July 2nd, 2017, 05:34 PM
Perhaps holding off til they see how football starts off:)

PAllen
July 2nd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Another Div III bombshell right before Lehigh Lafayette again?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 3rd, 2017, 10:11 AM
There is one aspect I'm still confused about. Are there still job openings for Lafayette assistant coaches? Or are they actually filled? Some churn in a first-time head coach filling out his staff might be expected. Keeping key positions open like OC for months is not.

RichH2
July 3rd, 2017, 10:18 AM
Assumptuon on Pard board is Garrett will call his own plays.

Fordham
July 3rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Soon after Moorhead was hired his D.C., who he hired from Rutgers and was very pumped about, was poached back by Schiano to join the TB Bucs staff. It happens.

I think Lafayette has some big institutional challenges and as a Fordham fan, particularly for hoops, I can relate. That said, no reason why Garrett can't be very successdul there and then move on. With all due respect to Tavani the last thing a program with lukewarm admin support needs is a lifer. A young guy ready to run through walls so he can get his next gig is what's called for

Lehigh'98
July 3rd, 2017, 09:12 PM
Soon after Moorhead was hired his D.C., who he hired from Rutgers, and was very pumped about, was poached back by Schiano to join the TB Bucs staff. It happens.

I think Lafayette has some big institutional challenges and as a Fordham fan, particularly for hoops, I can relate. That said, no reason why Garrett can't be very successdul there and then move on. With all due respect to Tavani( the last thing a program with lukewarm admin support needs is a lifer. A young guy ready to run through walls so he can get his next gig is what's called for

Exactly

carney2
July 4th, 2017, 08:22 AM
There is one aspect I'm still confused about. Are there still job openings for Lafayette assistant coaches? Or are they actually filled? Some churn in a first-time head coach filling out his staff might be expected. Keeping key positions open like OC for months is not.

To the best of my knowledge few, if any, of the openings have been filled. As others seem to have pointed out, an offensive coordinator is probably a low priority in this situation, as Garrett can "call his own plays." Wearing two hats, however, may be spreading the new head coach a little thin. I have no inside information, but it appears to me that a critical hire would be someone to help bring along the eight QBs that will be in camp in August. Only one of them has ever set foot on a college football field, and that would seem to require a lot - A LOT - of individual attention.

ngineer
July 4th, 2017, 09:10 PM
To the best of my knowledge few, if any, of the openings have been filled. As others seem to have pointed out, an offensive coordinator is probably a low priority in this situation, as Garrett can "call his own plays." Wearing two hats, however, may be spreading the new head coach a little thin. I have no inside information, but it appears to me that a critical hire would be someone to help bring along the eight QBs that will be in camp in August. Only one of them has ever set foot on a college football field, and that would seem to require a lot - A LOT - of individual attention.

Wow! How did that happen--by design or happenstance? Figure some are "athletes" who can play multiple positions, but still, with that many it can be hard for someone to get sufficient, meaningful reps.

ngineer
July 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Another Div III bombshell right before Lehigh Lafayette again?

Maybe petition NCAA to create a Div IV, with Lafayette the only member. That way they can play with themselves! (;-)

RichH2
July 5th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Maybe petition NCAA to create a Div IV, with Lafayette the only member. That way they can play with themselves! (;-)
Priceless :) :)

carney2
July 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Wow! How did that happen--by design or happenstance? Figure some are "athletes" who can play multiple positions, but still, with that many it can be hard for someone to get sufficient, meaningful reps.

More by design than by happenstance. Both last year's starter and backup (the only two who got on the field) graduated. That left the no. 3 - a freshman who never got into a game - and two more (IMO) low potential guys. A current senior who played WR last year, but never got on the field either, was recruited as a QB and decided to switch back to his first love. That makes four. Then, somehow/some way, with no staff and no time remaining in the recruiting season, Garrett combed the country and found himself four incoming freshman QBs. Believe it or not, each of those four incoming freshmen appears to have some ability. Bartel, the OC who resigned, was something of a QB guru and was, I believe, the designated babysitter for these guys. Someone needs to pick up the slack there. Garrett considers himself a molder of QBs, but as head coach and apparently his own OC, how much time can he devote to that?

As of now, and based on the spring game, Josh Davis, the senior who was a 3* QB recruit who could never get out of Tavani's dog house, appears to be the likely starter on September 2nd. Don't be surprised if one of the freshmen doesn't replace him by November.

RichH2
July 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM
The most I can recall was 7 QBs one year during preschollie days. IIR 3 became DBs, 1 a WR.

carney2
July 5th, 2017, 02:45 PM
The most I can recall was 7 QBs one year during preschollie days. IIR 3 became DBs, 1 a WR.

How about the year that Georgetown blew away the Patsies with all those QB recruits. Can anyone (DFW) recall how many they had in camp that August?

RichH2
July 5th, 2017, 03:46 PM
How about the year that Georgetown blew away the Patsies with all those QB recruits. Can anyone (DFW) recall how many they had in camp that August?
You're right. Dang. At least 8 IIR. Didnt include upperclass that may have been QNs coming in but were slotted in other positions.

Lehigh'98
July 5th, 2017, 04:36 PM
More by design than by happenstance. Both last year's starter and backup (the only two who got on the field) graduated. That left the no. 3 - a freshman who never got into a game - and two more (IMO) low potential guys. A current senior who played WR last year, but never got on the field either, was recruited as a QB and decided to switch back to his first love. That makes four. Then, somehow/some way, with no staff and no time remaining in the recruiting season, Garrett combed the country and found himself four incoming freshman QBs. Believe it or not, each of those four incoming freshmen appears to have some ability. Bartel, the OC who resigned, was something of a QB guru and was, I believe, the designated babysitter for these guys. Someone needs to pick up the slack there. Garrett considers himself a molder of QBs, but as head coach and apparently his own OC, how much time can he devote to that?

As of now, and based on the spring game, Josh Davis, the senior who was a 3* QB recruit who could never get out of Tavani's dog house, appears to be the likely starter on September 2nd. Don't be surprised if one of the freshmen doesn't replace him by November.

Sounds like Garrett is playing somewhat of a numbers game with the QB's. Decent chance at least one of them will work out well.

carney2
July 5th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Sounds like Garrett is playing somewhat of a numbers game with the QB's. Decent chance at least one of them will work out well.

You're probably correct. At least he recognizes that without a good QB he doesn't have much of a team. It might not seem fair to the ones who wash out, but so far he is giving everyone a chance. He had a "no incumbents policy" in the spring, and all 4 on the roster got an equal chance.

Fordham
July 5th, 2017, 08:06 PM
What system does he run?

carney2
July 6th, 2017, 12:59 PM
What system does he run?

I'm not well versed in this X and O stuff, but it appears that he is not married to a "system."

"We want to put players in their best position to be successful, to be explosive on offense and be hard to beat. We want to get the roster to the point where we can have multiple personnel groups, three or four or five running backs and wide receivers, one or two tight ends, to put pressure on the defense and making it hard for the defensive coordinator. We want to put our players in a position to do what they do best."

The former head coach was committed to a leather helmet style, but couldn't get it to work due to personnel deficiencies, primarily in the offensive line. Hopefully, Garrett doesn't see a roster full of square pegs that he wants to force into his predetermined round holes.

RichH2
July 6th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I'm not well versed in this X and O stuff, but it appears that he is not married to a "system."

"We want to put players in their best position to be successful, to be explosive on offense and be hard to beat. We want to get the roster to the point where we can have multiple personnel groups, three or four or five running backs and wide receivers, one or two tight ends, to put pressure on the defense and making it hard for the defensive coordinator. We want to put our players in a position to do what they do best."

The former head coach was committed to a leather helmet style, but couldn't get it to work due to personnel deficiencies, primarily in the offensive line. Hopefully, Garrett doesn't see a roster full of square pegs that he wants to force into his predetermined round holes.
The OL problem was Clayton not overall talent. He recruited size yet required mobility. Zone scemes not drive blocking suited to his players. Dont think Garrett will allow same to happen. OL may not get to good but certainly will be able to get better.

carney2
July 6th, 2017, 03:02 PM
The OL problem was Clayton not overall talent. He recruited size yet required mobility. Zone scemes not drive blocking suited to his players. Dont think Garrett will allow same to happen. OL may not get to good but certainly will be able to get better.

You are correct, and I stand corrected. After all these years of atrocious, most Pard fans will settle for something approaching average. Depth will be a problem however, as Tavani left this cupboard, along with most on the offensive side of the ball, bare. If Garrett manages to unearth a QB from among the 8 candidates, let's hope this group can keep him alive until November.

Andy
July 6th, 2017, 04:38 PM

Clayton, I was told, was among Frank's golden 3 on the staff. Despite terrible results, Frank never made a change. Clayton recent hire at Morgan State.

Andy
July 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM

I like the competition. Seemed like the prior staff by design had one quality QB rostered and a cast of lesser quality kids behind that starter. There definitely was not a capable QB in every class. Far from it. The heir apparent was soph McCrum who may not be what they expected, time will tell. This year Garrett inherited Mickey Fein's recruit from Florida, and signed 3 others; two of whom are walkons. Scholarship kid is presumably Aichholz, whom Garrett recruited at Richmond. He had other options (others are a 247sports rated 3* kid from Cali and ex-Yankee pitcher Moose Mussina's kid). Agree with Carney though, all seem capable. Way more talent at the position than we would usually see on any given year's roster.

ngineer
July 7th, 2017, 09:25 PM

Certainly makes sense. With all the upheaval that occurs with a coaching change, having a familiar face at the helm from the student's perspective is important, at least for the first several weeks..

ngineer
July 7th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Yes, I was always amazed at how much bigger the 'pards OL was than ours for most years. They had lines averaging over 300 lbs. back when ours were around 285. However, I have always been a fan of a 'smaller' but quicker lineman. I know Coen has recruited a number of linemen over the years (OL and DL) who were also basketball players in HS because of the ability to have quick feet.

carney2
July 9th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Word is that Garrett has hired David Girardi, a low level assistant at Northwestern, to be his QBs coach. If the guy knows his stuff (he was a D-3 college QB), and if he can communicate, that should be OK. As I've said at least twice on this board, Garrett just needs someone to give his herd of pretty raw QB candidates the individual attention they need.

Fordhamanhattan
July 18th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Any relation to Yankee skipper Joe who has a Northwestern pedigree?