View Full Version : Top 10 FCS Players For 2017

SU DOG
June 23rd, 2017, 09:17 AM
According to STATS:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170622101235729071604

dewey
June 23rd, 2017, 11:54 AM
Here is one error in the article.

7. Nick DeLuca, North Dakota State, LB, R-Sr.
2015 statistics (received medical hardship for 2016): 135 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, 6 pass breakups
Why he belongs: Shoulder surgery ended his senior season after three games, but after getting injured in the opener, DeLuca (6-3, 248) had 15 tackles and an interception return for a touchdown in his final start against Eastern Washington. He's an NFL prospect with excellent fundamentals.

Nick DeLuca started the Eastern Washington and Iowa games after he injured his should against Charleston Southern.

Nick DeLuca's last start of 2016 was the win over Iowa.
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=6600

His game stats in the win over Iowa was 8 total tackles, 1 TFL and 1 QB Hurry. Not too bad for a shoulder that required season ending surgery shortly after that.
http://www.gobison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=6600

Dewey

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2017, 12:16 PM
I won't argue with those names too much. Those are all great players.

Here are 5 players missing who I would nominate as possible top 10 snubs. All of these guys are not only good production guys in FCS but they have been consistent players, played on winning teams, and most likely have a NFL future.

DE Ebenezer Ogundeko, Tennessee State, Sr.
LB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State, Sr.
CB Davontae Harris, Illinois State, Sr.
S Cole Reyes, North Dakota, Sr.
OT Timon Parris, Stony Brook, Sr.

SU DOG
June 23rd, 2017, 12:58 PM
I guess everybody on here could add at least one for their team that isn't named. My choice would be Samford's Ahmad Gooden, who as a RS-Soph DE last season had some really good numbers. He had 70 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss of 81 yds, 8 sacks, 12 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovery. This guy is a PLAYER and will be a FORCE in the SoCon this year.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
have to admit I was a bit surprised at the ease in which these 2 were shut down when they played a CAA team....

6. Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State, TE, R-Sr.
2016 statistics: 92 receptions, 1,293 yards, 11 TDs; 1 rushing TD
Why he belongs: Perhaps no FCS player improved his 2018 NFL draft stock more last season that Goedert (6-4, 255), who was unstoppable in setting South Dakota State's single-season receptions record. A fluid route runner, he has wide receiver skills in a tight end's body.
---
5. Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State, WR, R-Sr.
2016 statistics: 78 receptions, 1,316 yards, 16 TDs
Why he belongs: A three-time FCS All-American and first-teamer in 2015, Wieneke (6-4, 215) has been the next-best thing to Cooper Kupp, the Eastern Washington legend who's now a Los Angeles Rams rookie. He enters his senior season with 223 receptions, 4,192 yards and 43 touchdown receptions.

kdinva
June 23rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
I guess everybody on here could add at least one for their team that isn't named.....

For VMI (maybe not top-10, but definitely between 30 and 60), linebackers Ryan Francis and Allan Cratsenberg, plus cornerback Greg Sanders.....all three will make a difference, and all have a chance for first team All SoCon....

Bucs2016
June 23rd, 2017, 02:13 PM
The LB from NDSU is a monster. Id draft him if I was an NFL GM.

dewey
June 23rd, 2017, 04:04 PM
have to admit I was a bit surprised at the ease in which these 2 were shut down when they played a CAA team....

Why he belongs: Perhaps no FCS player improved his 2018 NFL draft stock more last season that Goedert (6-4, 255), who was unstoppable in setting South Dakota State's single-season receptions record. A fluid route runner, he has wide receiver skills in a tight end's body.
---
Why he belongs: A three-time FCS All-American and first-teamer in 2015, Wieneke (6-4, 215) has been the next-best thing to Cooper Kupp, the Eastern Washington legend who's now a Los Angeles Rams rookie. He enters his senior season with 223 receptions, 4,192 yards and 43 touchdown receptions.

Goedert had 8 catches for 92 yards and a touchdown. I would say those are good numbers.

Dewey

Gangtackle11
June 23rd, 2017, 04:46 PM

---

To be fair Villanova didn't shut down Goedert, but Wieneke was very quiet. He was covered by Malik Reeves who will likely get a long look from NFL teams after next season. Goedert actually bailed out the SDSU QB who wasn't all I was lead to believe that day. 1 day, but 10 points was all their offense could muster against Nova.

That said Nova was the best FCS defense statistically & held every FCS team in check. Our offense gave teams more points with costly turnovers & field position than the defense could handle in the 4 losses.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
June 23rd, 2017, 05:00 PM
I'm throwing my hat in for Hanks, Albany's Jr. RB (and pre-season All American) who was literally almost the entire offense. Let's hope he comes back from his knee injury in the last game. Dude's a pinball when he's out there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 23rd, 2017, 05:43 PM
The LB from NDSU is a monster. Id draft him if I was an NFL GM.

If his shoulder stays healthy, and it should, he will have a great year.

Thumper 76
June 23rd, 2017, 06:05 PM
Goedert had 8 catches for 92 yards and a touchdown. I would say those are good numbers.

Dewey

He's trolling against MVFC teams man xlolx

Nova had a hell of a defense for sure however.

KPSUL
June 23rd, 2017, 06:06 PM
I'm throwing my hat in for Hanks, Albany's Jr. RB (and pre-season All American) who was literally almost the entire offense. Let's hope he comes back from his knee injury in the last game. Dude's a pinball when he's out there.

Best running back UNH faced last year, put up something like 299.9 yards. But I'm not sure Ibitokun -Hanks will be fully recovered from a torn ACL. If he had reconstructive surgery, that can be a full year to get back to 100%.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 23rd, 2017, 06:08 PM

Wasn't the weather horrible for that game?

Kemo
June 23rd, 2017, 07:11 PM
Wasn't the weather horrible for that game?

It was pretty bad, particularly on the playing surface. Lots of ghosts making tackles out there.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 07:15 PM

if healthy, Wes Hills is a better back than Hanks

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 07:23 PM

So what cant miss non conference games do we have on the AGS slate this year?

right off the top, Richmond at Sam Houston State....

what else we got to look forward to?

Colgate at Cal Poly

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 07:44 PM
they keep ignoring the JMU QB while he goes back to back, the Schor kid is a winner

citdog
June 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM
they keep ignoring the JMU QB while he goes back to back, the Schor kid is a winner

To put it in Bizonspeak Schor is a Jensen not a Wentz.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 07:52 PM

I get that quote but would only say Schor a hair more talented than Jensen.....

BisonTru
June 23rd, 2017, 07:57 PM

This is accurate.

Lauletta is the pro prospect imo.

Briscoe is getting some hype from the Twitter scouts. I'm not seeing it tho.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 08:22 PM
Let's see how Lauletta looks without Brian Brown in town

TheKingpin28
June 23rd, 2017, 09:35 PM
Lauletta in a Bison jersey is a fantasy of mine that I would have enjoyed seeing.

#1 Lauletta

This kid is a pro prospect and I see him being a 3rd day draft pick but bar none, the best FCS QB.

#2a Cookus

If he could stay healthy, he would be walking away with this and it would not be close, but as is, he cannot stay healthy and continues to hurt his chances for the next level. I want to give him that #1 slot but man, it is hard to, but I am still a hard believer that if he plays a full season, and Gubrud does not just torch every single team he plays, he should be the Walter Payton winner.

#2b Gubrud

Only reason why he is below Cookus is that Cookus has the tangibles that a "pro-prospect" should have but Gubrud will either burn you through the air or if you decide to rush 3 and spy the QB (see NDSU vs EWU) he will burn you on the ground.

#3 Schor

No disagreements in that he is Brock Jensen-esque, but I see him as Jensen-lite since Jensen was on a different level from any other QB not named Armanti Edwards.

#4 Christon

Well here is his chance to show the MVFC that it is his league and the rest just get to enjoy it. He did not show up when he needed to so I am extremely skeptical since he disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. #inb4thumperbashing xlolx

Everyone else. Briscoe has shown nothing to warrant consideration for a top 5 spot. I get it, the SoCon only allows either 1 or 2 OOC games, but then do a Home and Home with the top teams of Valley, CAA, and Big Sky to show that he can compete since we saw what happened when a real team showed up and he went into hiding.

JSUSoutherner
June 23rd, 2017, 09:45 PM
DeLuca is a freak. I'm surprised he's not higher.

If Marlon Bridges can ball out like he did last year he will defintely be deserving of a top 10 spot. That kid is a beast.

chattownmocs
June 23rd, 2017, 11:29 PM
Hall is about to break the FCS sack record isn't he. 7 away. 8 away from Terrell Suggs D1 mark.

Redbird 4th & short
June 24th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Lauletta in a Bison jersey is a fantasy of mine that I would have enjoyed seeing.

#1 Lauletta

This kid is a pro prospect and I see him being a 3rd day draft pick but bar none, the best FCS QB.

#2a Cookus

If he could stay healthy, he would be walking away with this and it would not be close, but as is, he cannot stay healthy and continues to hurt his chances for the next level. I want to give him that #1 slot but man, it is hard to, but I am still a hard believer that if he plays a full season, and Gubrud does not just torch every single team he plays, he should be the Walter Payton winner.

#2b Gubrud

Only reason why he is below Cookus is that Cookus has the tangibles that a "pro-prospect" should have but Gubrud will either burn you through the air or if you decide to rush 3 and spy the QB (see NDSU vs EWU) he will burn you on the ground.

#3 Schor

No disagreements in that he is Brock Jensen-esque, but I see him as Jensen-lite since Jensen was on a different level from any other QB not named Armanti Edwards.

#4 Christon

Well here is his chance to show the MVFC that it is his league and the rest just get to enjoy it. He did not show up when he needed to so I am extremely skeptical since he disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. #inb4thumperbashing xlolx

Everyone else. Briscoe has shown nothing to warrant consideration for a top 5 spot. I get it, the SoCon only allows either 1 or 2 OOC games, but then do a Home and Home with the top teams of Valley, CAA, and Big Sky to show that he can compete since we saw what happened when a real team showed up and he went into hiding.

KingPin .. I don't say this to pick a fight, but I disagree about Jensen. I recognize he absolutely lit it up in 2013 (185 QBR), but that's the only great year he had. But even then I would argue that was the best of all the Bison teams .. they had everything working. I followed them closely .. they were top 2-5 in FCS in almost every meaningly statistical category on both sides of ball. Jensen took full advantage, but you Bison could do no wrong and had 2 RBs that could start for most teams, plus a great OL and defense that shut most teams down, putting their offense on the field in great field position for nearly 34 minute per game for entire season. They marched thru the playoffs easily defeating everyone by much bigger margins than they did in conference regular season.

But I also recall 2012, just 1 season prior, when NDSU came into ISU last regular season game. Brock was having a tough season with just 131 QBR playing for the best team in country. i spoke to some older Bison fans before the game ... all who said that Jensen should have been benched weeks ago for Wentz. This was his junior season, last regular season game. We had a good team that year, but our running game was depleted due to injuries. We led you guys by 3 going into Q4 .. then your run game took over and you put up 21 points in Q4 to win by 18. Jensen finished 6 of 16 for 96 yards in a tight game until mid Q4. Matt Brown was clearly the much better QB that day.

Jensen had a very solid year in 2011 (144 QBR), pretty good, but not a great year .. Again, I would argue he was a product of your system and greatness around him . 2 very good RBs again with 1000+ yards each. I think most people would agree, he was asked to manage games to ensure wins. In 2010, he shared role and had rough year as FR with just 120 QBR.

Again, not picking a fight .. but Jensen had just 1 great year, (on best Bison team ever) 1 good year, and then 2 below average years .. while playing for the best team in country with best running game featuring 2 thousand yard rushers. Wentz on the other hand obviously needs no defense particularly from me .. but he was a guy who made his team better. While Jensen was a beneficiary of the system and great teams/players surrounding him. Wentz was going to do well no matter who you put around.

We'll see if Schor (ironically also 186 QBR like Jensen's SR year) mostly succeeded because JMU 2016 team rivaled the NDSU 2013 team in sheer statistical dominance in all phases of game .. I would easily argue not as good (I think Bison win that dream game by 10+), but dominated similarly and put Schor in position to do very well. Schor has 1 more year to prove himself to help determined if he was more the beneficiary of great team/system or a key to their great team/system.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 24th, 2017, 08:47 AM
KingPin .. I don't say this to pick a fight, but I disagree about Jensen. I recognize he absolutely lit it up in 2013 (185 QBR), but that's the only great year he had. But even then I would argue that was the best of all the Bison teams .. they had everything working. I followed them closely .. they were top 2-5 in FCS in almost every meaningly statistical category on both sides of ball. Jensen took full advantage, but you Bison could do no wrong and had 2 RBs that could start for most teams, plus a great OL and defense that shut most teams down, putting their offense on the field in great field position for nearly 34 minute per game for entire season. They marched thru the playoffs easily defeating everyone by much bigger margins than they did in conference regular season.

But I also recall 2012, just 1 season prior, when NDSU came into ISU last regular season game. Brock was having a tough season with just 131 QBR playing for the best team in country. i spoke to some older Bison fans before the game ... all who said that Jensen should have been benched weeks ago for Wentz. This was his junior season, last regular season game. We had a good team that year, but our running game was depleted due to injuries. We led you guys by 3 going into Q4 .. then your run game took over and you put up 21 points in Q4 to win by 18. Jensen finished 6 of 16 for 96 yards in a tight game until mid Q4. Matt Brown was clearly the much better QB that day.

Jensen had a very solid year in 2011 (144 QBR), pretty good, but not a great year .. Again, I would argue he was a product of your system and greatness around him . 2 very good RBs again with 1000+ yards each. I think most people would agree, he was asked to manage games to ensure wins. In 2010, he shared role and had rough year as FR with just 120 QBR.

Again, not picking a fight .. but Jensen had just 1 great year, (on best Bison team ever) 1 good year, and then 2 below average years .. while playing for the best team in country with best running game featuring 2 thousand yard rushers. Wentz on the other hand obviously needs no defense particularly from me .. but he was a guy who made his team better. While Jensen was a beneficiary of the system and great teams/players surrounding him. Wentz was going to do well no matter who you put around.

We'll see if Schor (ironically also 186 QBR like Jensen's SR year) mostly succeeded because JMU 2016 team rivaled the NDSU 2013 team in sheer statistical dominance in all phases of game .. I would easily argue not as good (I think Bison win that dream game by 10+), but dominated similarly and put Schor in position to do very well. Schor has 1 more year to prove himself to help determined if he was more the beneficiary of great team/system or a key to their great team/system.

Pretty good analysis of Jensen. He managed those teams and was a winner.

Wentz is head and shoulders above Brock in terms of talent. It was a privilege to watch them both.

TheKingpin28
June 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM

You will not get arguments from me, but at the end of the day, when the Bison needed a win on a 4th down and goal with no time left, you knew who was getting that ball and you knew you were not going to stop it. Wentz is a better QB, but when looking up the definition of "clutch" it would say: see Brock Jensen.

I made the comparison for Schor and Jensen for that reason alone. They are clutch and could manage the game when they needed to.

JSUSoutherner
June 24th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Hall is about to break the FCS sack record isn't he. 7 away. 8 away from Terrell Suggs D1 mark.
Hall is a beast. If he's not a pro-bowler I'll be surprised.

The guy ran down Eli Jenkins from behind one time. Freak. I'm looking forward to watching him on Sundays.

Redbird 4th & short
June 24th, 2017, 10:05 AM
You will not get arguments from me, but at the end of the day, when the Bison needed a win on a 4th down and goal with no time left, you knew who was getting that ball and you knew you were not going to stop it. Wentz is a better QB, but when looking up the definition of "clutch" it would say: see Brock Jensen.

I made the comparison for Schor and Jensen for that reason alone. They are clutch and could manage the game when they needed to.

or say on 3rd and 23 in 2013 against a certain time I favor, with 4 mins left in an 11 point game .. we had Jensen sacked for 5-10 yard loss which would have put Bison about 4th and 30 on our 40 yard line and forced you to punt .. giving us one last gasp of a chance to score, get 2 pt conversion, onside kicked followed by a FG, then we win in OT ... and just like that Redbirds beat # 1 NDSU in Fargo ... it could happen, right ?!?

Now what actually happened was Jensen avoided at least 2 different would be sackers failed arm tackles on that 3rd and 23, then ran for 22 yards, given Bison a 4th and 1 on our 10 or so, followed by 4th down conversion .. then a TD .. game over 28-10.

p.s. sometimes there is fine line between a win and loss .. sometimes not really xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 24th, 2017, 10:46 AM
or say on 3rd and 23 in 2013 against a certain time I favor, with 4 mins left in an 11 point game .. we had Jensen sacked for 5-10 yard loss which would have put Bison about 4th and 30 on our 40 yard line and forced you to punt .. giving us one last gasp of a chance to score, get 2 pt conversion, onside kicked followed by a FG, then we win in OT ... and just like that Redbirds beat # 1 NDSU in Fargo ... it could happen, right ?!?

Now what actually happened was Jensen avoided at least 2 different would be sackers failed arm tackles on that 3rd and 23, then ran for 22 yards, given Bison a 4th and 1 on our 10 or so, followed by 4th down conversion .. then a TD .. game over 28-10.

p.s. sometimes there is fine line between a win and loss .. sometimes not really xeyebrowx

Are there going to be more Bison fans then Redbird fans down in Normal for that game?

I'm looking forward to this game. First time down there.

TheKingpin28
June 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM

At the end of the day, I would rather have a QB who is a game manager and clutch than an all-FCS player. If he can guide the team to wins and function within the system the way the system was designed, then well, that IMO, is the best QB.

Look at Lil Shooter at EWU. Great QB in the system, but put him in the FBS in the same system, and he was completely out of place. He left his system to try and do something great and well, he flopped. Or how about Dakota Prukop? Everyone at MSU was all over him and then he went to Oregon, and he flopped. When a QB knows their role in the system and sticks to it, they can be a great QB.

Look at UNI 2012 and then 2013, (sorry Clenz and please do not go all stats on me), but what do they do, the minute Kollmorgen has a concussion, Farley goes away from their best QB and switch to Carnes. 2012 Kollmorgen was pure fire and looked like he could carry that team with DJ to a natty. Then 2013 and the concussions pile on and Farley feels the pressure. Carnes could not throw the ball and hit the receiver if his life depended on it. So what do they do, go away from that West-Coast/Power Run game to keep the defense honest and go with a QB that can only run the ball. Let us go to the stats to show you what happens when you go away from a system QB to something that does not fit.

Kollmorgen: 11 GP

Efficiency-------------142.15
Completion-----------59.11%
Passing Yards--------2460
Touch Downs---------21
Average Per Game---233.64

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------165
Average---------------1.3
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---6.09

Jensen: 15 GP

Efficiency-------------131.00
Completion-----------61.20%
Passing Yards--------2331
Touch Downs---------17
Average Per Game---155.40

Attempts--------------111
Yards Gained---------542
Average---------------3.2
Touch Downs---------12
Average Per Game---23.80

Kollmorgen: 9 GP

Efficiency-------------139.28
Completion-----------62.90%
Passing Yards--------1824
Touch Downs---------14
Average Per Game---202.76

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------105
Average---------------0.5
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---2.56

Carnes: 12 GP

Efficiency-------------95.49
Completion-----------51.25%
Passing Yards--------438
Touch Downs---------2
Average Per Game---36.50

Attempts--------------66
Yards Gained----------286
Average---------------3.4
Touch Downs----------2
Average Per Game----18.83

Efficiency--------------167.40
Completion------------66.30%
Passing Yards---------2793
Touch Downs----------34
Average Per Game---186.20

Attempts--------------99
Yards Gained---------576
Average---------------4.8
Touch Downs---------10
Average Per Game---31.90

Hopefully through this, you understand why I believe Jensen was the best QB the FCS has seen. He knew his role and continued to expand upon it to the point where he became the most clutch QB the FCS has seen. Kollmorgen had the chance to improve on 2012 but Farley threw him under the bus since he remembered what happened when he had Rennie and DJ and he thought he could repeat that with Carnes and DJ. Well look at every time they have went away from a passing QB and a power runner, they shot themselves in the foot and proved that messing up a system that works, shows that system QBs can be better than the supposed "best QB" if put in a position to win. That is what NDSU does and that is what Schor is in right now. JMU is in a position to win and Schor managed that NDSU game perfectly forcing NDSU to be a position they had never been before, on the outside looking in.

32counter
June 24th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Let's see how Lauletta looks without Brian Brown in town

Lots to choose from.Lets see how the Hen DBs do.

Porter Abell (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=206286064&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-0
RJr.
Lexington, Va. (Rockbridge County)

Caleb Drake (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209396286&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-3
RSo.
Troy, N.C. (West Montgomery)

Jarmal Bevels (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209395635&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-4
RSo.
Fredericksburg, Va. (James Monroe)

Dejon Brissett (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875583&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
So.
Mississauga, Ontario (Lake Forest Academy (Ill.))

Adam Sahd (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208290260&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-11
RJr.
Mountville, Pa. (Penn Manor)

Tyler Wilkins (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875401&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
So.
Richmond, Va. (L.C. Bird)

Jordan Cannady (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211124899&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-11
Fr.
Chesapeake, Va. (Atlantic Shores Christian)

Gershom Ejoni (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875404&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-5
RFr.
Wake Forest, N.C. (Heritage)

Michael Horan (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211124989&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-10
Fr.
Woodbridge, Va. (Saint John Paul the Great)

Dashon Tibbs (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208289861&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
RJr.
Charlottesville, Va. (Fluvanna County)

TribeNomad1
June 24th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Lots to choose from.Lets see how the Hen DBs do.

I remember Abell & Bevels. UR offense will be fine with returning QB & RB. Defense had more losses of multi year starters.

Porter Abell (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=206286064&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-0
RJr.
Lexington, Va. (Rockbridge County)

Caleb Drake (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209396286&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-3
RSo.
Troy, N.C. (West Montgomery)

Jarmal Bevels (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209395635&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-4
RSo.
Fredericksburg, Va. (James Monroe)

Dejon Brissett (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875583&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
So.
Mississauga, Ontario (Lake Forest Academy (Ill.))

Adam Sahd (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208290260&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-11
RJr.
Mountville, Pa. (Penn Manor)

Tyler Wilkins (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875401&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
So.
Richmond, Va. (L.C. Bird)

Jordan Cannady (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211124899&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-11
Fr.
Chesapeake, Va. (Atlantic Shores Christian)

Gershom Ejoni (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209875404&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-5
RFr.
Wake Forest, N.C. (Heritage)

Michael Horan (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211124989&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
5-10
Fr.
Woodbridge, Va. (Saint John Paul the Great)

Dashon Tibbs (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208289861&DB_OEM_ID=26800)
WR
6-2
RJr.
Charlottesville, Va. (Fluvanna County)

I remember Abell & Bevels. UR offense will be fine with returning QB & RB. Defense had more losses of multi year starters.

Redbird 4th & short
June 24th, 2017, 10:21 PM
At the end of the day, I would rather have a QB who is a game manager and clutch than an all-FCS player. If he can guide the team to wins and function within the system the way the system was designed, then well, that IMO, is the best QB.

Look at Lil Shooter at EWU. Great QB in the system, but put him in the FBS in the same system, and he was completely out of place. He left his system to try and do something great and well, he flopped. Or how about Dakota Prukop? Everyone at MSU was all over him and then he went to Oregon, and he flopped. When a QB knows their role in the system and sticks to it, they can be a great QB.

Look at UNI 2012 and then 2013, (sorry Clenz and please do not go all stats on me), but what do they do, the minute Kollmorgen has a concussion, Farley goes away from their best QB and switch to Carnes. 2012 Kollmorgen was pure fire and looked like he could carry that team with DJ to a natty. Then 2013 and the concussions pile on and Farley feels the pressure. Carnes could not throw the ball and hit the receiver if his life depended on it. So what do they do, go away from that West-Coast/Power Run game to keep the defense honest and go with a QB that can only run the ball. Let us go to the stats to show you what happens when you go away from a system QB to something that does not fit.

Touch Downs---------21

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------165
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---6.09

Touch Downs---------17

Yards Gained---------542
Touch Downs---------12
Average Per Game---23.80

Touch Downs---------14

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------105
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---2.56

Passing Yards--------438
Touch Downs---------2
Average Per Game---36.50

Attempts--------------66
Touch Downs----------2

Touch Downs----------34

Attempts--------------99
Yards Gained---------576
Touch Downs---------10
Average Per Game---31.90

Hopefully through this, you understand why I believe Jensen was the best QB the FCS has seen. He knew his role and continued to expand upon it to the point where he became the most clutch QB the FCS has seen. Kollmorgen had the chance to improve on 2012 but Farley threw him under the bus since he remembered what happened when he had Rennie and DJ and he thought he could repeat that with Carnes and DJ. Well look at every time they have went away from a passing QB and a power runner, they shot themselves in the foot and proved that messing up a system that works, shows that system QBs can be better than the supposed "best QB" if put in a position to win. That is what NDSU does and that is what Schor is in right now. JMU is in a position to win and Schor managed that NDSU game perfectly forcing NDSU to be a position they had never been before, on the outside looking in.
eh ... were going to have to disagree. Your case is pretty limited sample size and the comparison to hi lackluster 2012 doesn't help. He turned into a pretty good QB who had a very good single season on what was probably the greatest FCS team ever. NDSU dominated in every way possible in 2013. Jensen played well, but to say he was best FCS QB ever completely diminishes how good that team was around him, plus the system and coaches .. in all phases of game. Schor had a better season statistically, on a very good team .. though I would favor 2013 NDSU over 2016 JMU.

your a fan and your entitled to opinions.

Redbird 4th & short
June 24th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Are there going to be more Bison fans then Redbird fans down in Normal for that game?

I'm looking forward to this game. First time down there.
if there was only one ISU game circled on my calendar, this is it.

As for our attendance that weekend, it will be hampered by fact that students will have all gone home for Thanksgiving week. That and we have some fickle fair weather fans. So it will depend largely on our record and weather. If this game has consequences for conference championship and playoff seed, and weather is decent, then we might get 8-10k, possibly more .. we max out at 13,400. But our fans should remember the 2014 Natty when we got 3500+ to Dallas, while drawing just 5000+ at home for UNI 1st round playoff game and just 300 or so for semifinal at UNH.

If not, there will be more yellow than red in the stands.

Interestingly, I feel like we have very similar prognosis for this upcoming season. I would not doubt if we were 1 and 2 in MVFC defense, and both top 10 in FCS. Skill player wise, we are in very good shape. Our only real question mark is a big one .. OL. But the schedule falls in our favor with much easier first half than second half SOS wise. So we are hoping our OL develops as season progresses.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 25th, 2017, 09:27 AM
if there was only one ISU game circled on my calendar, this is it.

As for our attendance that weekend, it will be hampered by fact that students will have all gone home for Thanksgiving week. That and we have some fickle fair weather fans. So it will depend largely on our record and weather. If this game has consequences for conference championship and playoff seed, and weather is decent, then we might get 8-10k, possibly more .. we max out at 13,400. But our fans should remember the 2014 Natty when we got 3500+ to Dallas, while drawing just 5000+ at home for UNI 1st round playoff game and just 300 or so for semifinal at UNH.

If not, there will be more yellow than red in the stands.

Interestingly, I feel like we have very similar prognosis for this upcoming season. I would not doubt if we were 1 and 2 in MVFC defense, and both top 10 in FCS. Skill player wise, we are in very good shape. Our only real question mark is a big one .. OL. But the schedule falls in our favor with much easier first half than second half SOS wise. So we are hoping our OL develops as season progresses.

I'm not up to speed on Ill State's outlook but the Bison defense has the potential to be one of the best yet. The DL is going to be stacked and the secondary returns all 4 starters. LB corp will be very good with DeLuca returning but probably moving to the outside to utilize his speed and pass defending abilities.

After their scrimmage against Miss Valley State, EWU will be a good test on the road for the 2nd game.

Personally, the only 2 teams that will challenge the Bison this year in conference will be SDSU and Ill State.

TheKingpin28
June 25th, 2017, 10:09 AM
eh ... were going to have to disagree. Your case is pretty limited sample size and the comparison to hi lackluster 2012 doesn't help. He turned into a pretty good QB who had a very good single season on what was probably the greatest FCS team ever. NDSU dominated in every way possible in 2013. Jensen played well, but to say he was best FCS QB ever completely diminishes how good that team was around him, plus the system and coaches .. in all phases of game. Schor had a better season statistically, on a very good team .. though I would favor 2013 NDSU over 2016 JMU.

your a fan and your entitled to opinions.

I see it like this, if a coach can implement his system properly and get guys that work together, then he is doing his job. We can all agree on that. Well if you can get a guy who brought NDSU from an abyss (losing season but they went 3-8 in 09) that has only been seen 3 times in almost 60 years, just sit on that idea for a little bit, and turn them around in 2010 to make the playoffs and capping it off in 2013 with arguably the best team to exist in D1 FCS/AA ever, I think proves mypoint.

Mertens: 9 GP (GS 7)

Efficiency-------------118.00
Completion-----------53.80%
Passing Yards--------1348
Touch Downs---------9
Average Per Game---149.80

Attempts--------------67
Yards Gained---------266
Average---------------2.6
Touch Downs---------4
Average Per Game---19.20

Mohler 5 GP (GS 4)

Efficiency-------------155.80
Completion-----------59.70%
Passing Yards--------635.6
Touch Downs---------6
Average Per Game---127.00

Attempts--------------20
Yards Gained---------158
Average---------------7.0
Touch Downs---------0
Average Per Game---28.00

Jensen: 9 GP (GS 7)

Efficiency-------------120.50
Completion-----------45.00%
Passing Yards--------950
Touch Downs---------7
Average Per Game---105.60

Attempts--------------68
Yards Gained---------319
Touch Downs---------4
Average Per Game---25.70

Mohler: 12 GP (GS 7)

Efficiency-------------119.00
Completion-----------58.70%
Passing Yards--------1181
Touch Downs---------5
Average Per Game---98.40

Attempts--------------66
Yards Gained---------278
Touch Downs---------2
Average Per Game---2.1

Jensen 15 GP

Efficiency-------------143.90
Completion-----------67.20%
Passing Yards--------2524
Touch Downs---------14
Average Per Game---168.30

Attempts--------------73
Yards Gained---------319
Average---------------2.4
Touch Downs---------9
Average Per Game---11.5

I do not know how much more you want? I could go back to the last solid QB had before Jensen in Walker and that would hopefully prove my point. Mertens and Mohler were worse than bad, but look at those 3 year differences, tell me that getting Brock Jensen did not turn around the Bison and fast-track them to a win. Hell they could have won in 2010 had it not been for that questionable call at EWU when Jensen scored but they said he fumbled. (Please let us not get into another rant about who won versus who should have won. The ref was blind and could not make an objective call based off of what he was given)

That said, they still beat MSU 42-17 in 2010 AT MSU who was ranked as a 4 seed. We both have difference of opinions, but when you put the numbers against previous QBs, Jensen, was and is, until further notice, the best FCS QB to exist. I am not talking about pro-prospect or what have you, I am looking at it through what he accomplished VS what he was given. That 09 season was horrid and Jensen showed what happens when you put a system QB in a spot to succeed.

Redbird 4th & short
June 25th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I'm not up to speed on Ill State's outlook but the Bison defense has the potential to be one of the best yet. The DL is going to be stacked and the secondary returns all 4 starters. LB corp will be very good with DeLuca returning but probably moving to the outside to utilize his speed and pass defending abilities.

After their scrimmage against Miss Valley State, EWU will be a good test on the road for the 2nd game.

Personally, the only 2 teams that will challenge the Bison this year in conference will be SDSU and Ill State.
you just described our defense, except you have Deluca and we don't. Here is recap by position group .. we return 8 of 11 starters; arguably 9 of 11 if you include LB Holm who played as much as starter.

- DL: we return our entire 2 deep, and even moved a couple 3rd stringers into rotation to challenge 2nd string
- DB: we return 7 of 8 from our 2 deep, including all 4 starters, plus couple of young guys on 3rd string challenging 2nd string
- LB: lost all 3 starters, though Holm played as much as starters and has potential to be a beast after moving from RB to LB 2 years ago; picked up 4 star Juco transfer Horton, and 3 star Notre Dame transfer Barajas. Plus have our own guys

This defensive roster is built to be very good the next 2 years.

Take a look at the size of our LB group: add LB Barajas at 6'2" 240 lbs to below list, and our top 6 rotation will average 240-245 lbs. Granted unproven talent at FCS level

Probable starters game 1: Holm, Horton, DeForest with Brannon, Barajas rotating in and not sure who else. Barajas should eventually emerge as starter. This group needs to prove itself, but it is a big group that can hit and run well for their size. And playing between our deep DL and DB groups, I think the defense is poised to be very good.

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/8/15/BARRY_Brannon.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Barry, Brannon (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5208&path=football)
6-4
LB
Jr.
St. Charles, Ill. / St. Charles East

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2017/1/23/Tyree_Horton.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Horton, Tyree (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5320&path=football)
6-0
LB
Jr.
Miami, Fla. / South Dade

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/1/27/CLARK_Turone.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Clark, Tuvonehttp://earit2.thenameengine.com/app/webroot/img/red.png (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5222&path=football)
6-2
LB
So.
St. Louis, Mo. / McCluer South-Berkeley

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/9/8/MATHEWS_Zack.JPG&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Mathews, Zackary (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5274&path=football)
6-1
LB
Sr.
Rockford, Ill. / Boylan Catholic HS

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/8/15/HOLM_Bryce.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Holm, Bryce (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5254&path=football)
6-2
LB
Sr.
Oswego, Ill. / Oswego

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/9/8/ZITKUS_Ryan.JPG&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Zitkus, Ryan (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5316&path=football)
6-1
LB
R-Fr.
Bloomington, Ill. / Central Catholic HS

Janes, Connor (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5348&path=football)
6-2
LB
So.
Saint Joseph, Ill. / St. Joseph-Ogden

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2015/9/3/KELLY_MARTIN_Decxavier.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Kelly-Martin, Decxavierhttp://earit2.thenameengine.com/app/webroot/img/red.png (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5264&path=football)
6-3
LB
So.
Plainfield, Ill. / Nazareth Academy

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/8/17/DRAKA_Dylan.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Draka, Dylanhttp://earit2.thenameengine.com/app/webroot/img/red.png (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5230&path=football)
6-0
LB
R-Fr.
Wheeling, Ill. / Wheeling

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2015/9/3/15_11464.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
Washington, DeMarco (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5312&path=football)
6-3
LB
So.
Peoria, Ill. / Notre Dame

http://www.goredbirds.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?image_path=/images/2016/9/6/DeFOREST_Ty.jpg&thumb_prefix=rp_roster
DeForest, Ty (http://www.goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5227&path=football)
6-0
LB
So.
Marshall, Wis. / Marshall

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 25th, 2017, 03:00 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Add a couple of inches on some of those guys and it looks like and NFL LB roster....xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2017, 03:54 PM

I was going to use that exact same analogy. Just because you are a winner does not mean you are an elite QB if you are more of a game manager or solid player who does not make mistakes and are surrounded by a ton of talent on offense and a stout defense that shuts people down. Schor is a good player and I would rank him in the top 20-25 range but I would not put him in elite category with players like Edmonds, Goedert, etc.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2017, 04:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Add a couple of inches on some of those guys and it looks like and NFL LB roster....xnodx

Take a look at NFL rosters now. There are a lot of 6'0 and 6'1 LBs who play in the NFL. If the 6'3 215 pound LB was more like 6'3 235 then you could easily have a NFL roster now. If you want to keep him at 215 then he could move to SS and that group would completely fit.

Redbird 4th & short
June 25th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Take a look at NFL rosters now. There are a lot of 6'0 and 6'1 LBs who play in the NFL. If the 6'3 215 pound LB was more like 6'3 235 then you could easily have a NFL roster now. If you want to keep him at 215 then he could move to SS and that group would completely fit.
question that remains is how good are they. they will hit for sure, and run well for their size.

- Holm was still learning the MLB position last year after moving from FB .. very good athlete and works his butt off. He played LB in HS, so he had some experience.
- Horton is a proven big hitter at OLB .. FL level talent who dominated Juco level.
- Deforest tried to do preferred walk-on at Wiscy as true FR, but we're guessing just didn't have the speed for that level .. he transferred in Jan 2016. So he's had 1.5 years to acclimate. Mainly special teams last season, but fared well during spring at LB
- Barry was HS WR turned college TE turned DE turned LB .. high motor, but not a burner .. just works his butt off and does whatever they ask him to.
- Barajas is the wild card - highly recruited out of HS at FBS level. Our guess is he just didn't have speed for FBS level, because he had all the credentials to be an FBS player.

Main questions are lack of proven experience and will they be fast enough. Most top defenses in MVFC have LB groups weighing 220-225. We're optimistic about this group emerging, especially playing between strong DL and DB groups .. but it remains to be seen. Deepest defensive roster Spack has ever had in my opinion .. not sure it will be his best defense, but it could be.

grizband
June 25th, 2017, 05:59 PM

Touch Downs---------21

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------165
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---6.09

Touch Downs---------17

Yards Gained---------542
Touch Downs---------12
Average Per Game---23.80

Touch Downs---------14

Attempts--------------51
Yards Gained---------105
Touch Downs---------1
Average Per Game---2.56

Passing Yards--------438
Touch Downs---------2
Average Per Game---36.50

Attempts--------------66
Touch Downs----------2

Touch Downs----------34

Attempts--------------99
Yards Gained---------576
Touch Downs---------10
Average Per Game---31.90

Jensen was a great leader, and that 2013 Bison is in the argument for greatest all time FCS team, but I don't think he is the greatest quarterback we've seen in FCS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DirtyDukes
June 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Can't wait to watch Schor outperform everyone this year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Can't wait to watch Schor outperform everyone this year.

I would not be shocked if he was the CAA OFF POY and JMU repeated but I don't think he is so dominant that anyone would be shocked if JMU lost 1-2 games and only made it to the quarterfinals or semis. If you guys had a healthy Carson Wentz or Armanti Edwards or someone of that caliber then you would be completely unstoppable. I'm not saying Schor isn't a very good QB but there are other QBs I would take over him. Before you say you would not take anyone else there are probably fans from 15 other teams who would say the same. Fordham, San Diego, Sam Houston State, Holy Cross, Grambling, Eastern Washington, South Dakota State, Chattanooga, and several others will all say the same thing.

Redbird 4th & short
June 26th, 2017, 10:12 AM
So I'm not yet decided on Schor being more Jensen than Wentz, but I'm pretty sure he is somewhere in the middle, maybe closer to a Wentz. His numners were really good .. granted on a very good team that led with a strong run game and defense.

BUT ... the one stat that argues he is more of a Jensen based on last season is passes per game at 21 .. compare that to the other top QBs throwing almost twice that much per game. Teams were forced to prepare much more for JMU run game than pass game. In that sense, we have no idea how Schor would do without the benefit of great run game to force team to stay in the box and great defense and special team putting them in favorable field psotion on regular basis. So you have 40 passes per game with Briscoe (Southland) and Gabrud (Big Sky), and 30+ passes per game with Christian (MVFC) and Lauletta (CAA). I would argue MVFC and Colonial defenses are clearly the best FCS .. at least the upper half of Colonial is, and that favors arguements for those guys based on opponent SOS.

But at 20 passes per game, we just don't know how Schor would do on a team that needed him to throw 30 to 40 times each game.

Rank
Name
Team
Cl
Position
G
Pass Att
Pass Com
Int
Pass Yds
Pass TD
Pass Eff

Bryan Schor
James Madison (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/james-madison)
Jr.
QB

Jeremiah Briscoe
Sam Houston St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/sam-houston-st)
Jr.
QB

Gage Gubrud
Eastern Wash. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/eastern-wash)
So.
QB

Devante Kincade
Grambling (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/grambling)
Jr.
QB

Kevin Anderson
Fordham (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/fordham)
Sr.
QB

Kyle Sloter
Northern Colo. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/northern-colo)
Sr.
QB

Nick Shafnisky
Lehigh (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/lehigh)
Sr.
QB

Anthony Lawrence
San Diego (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/san-diego)
So.
QB

Devlin Hodges
Samford (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/samford)
So.
QB

Taryn Christion
South Dakota St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota-st)
So.
QB

Kyle Lauletta
Richmond (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/richmond)
Jr.
QB

DirtyDukes
June 26th, 2017, 10:26 AM
So I'm not yet decided on Schor being more Jensen than Wentz, but I'm pretty sure he is somewhere in the middle, maybe closer to a Wentz. His numners were really good .. granted on a very good team that led with a strong run game and defense.

BUT ... the one stat that argues he is more of a Jensen based on last season is passes per game at 21 .. compare that to the other top QBs throwing almost twice that much per game. Teams were forced to prepare much more for JMU run game than pass game. In that sense, we have no idea how Schor would do without the benefit of great run game to force team to stay in the box and great defense and special team putting them in favorable field psotion on regular basis. So you have 40 passes per game with Briscoe (Southland) and Gabrud (Big Sky), and 30+ passes per game with Christian (MVFC) and Lauletta (CAA). I would argue MVFC and Colonial defenses are clearly the best FCS .. at least the upper half of Colonial is, and that favors arguements for those guys based on opponent SOS.

But at 20 passes per game, we just don't know how Schor would do on a team that needed him to throw 30 to 40 times each game.

Rank
Name
Team
Cl
Position
G
Pass Att
Pass Com
Int
Pass Yds
Pass TD
Pass Eff

Bryan Schor
James Madison (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/james-madison)
Jr.
QB

Jeremiah Briscoe
Sam Houston St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/sam-houston-st)
Jr.
QB

Gage Gubrud
Eastern Wash. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/eastern-wash)
So.
QB

Devante Kincade
Grambling (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/grambling)
Jr.
QB

Kevin Anderson
Fordham (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/fordham)
Sr.
QB

Kyle Sloter
Northern Colo. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/northern-colo)
Sr.
QB

Nick Shafnisky
Lehigh (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/lehigh)
Sr.
QB

Anthony Lawrence
San Diego (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/san-diego)
So.
QB

Devlin Hodges
Samford (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/samford)
So.
QB

Taryn Christion
South Dakota St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota-st)
So.
QB

Kyle Lauletta
Richmond (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/richmond)
Jr.
QB

Sure we do, we can take his efficiency and multiply it by the proposed attempts.

Also, the dude is clutch.

caribbeanhen
June 26th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I would not be shocked if he was the CAA OFF POY and JMU repeated but I don't think he is so dominant that anyone would be shocked if JMU lost 1-2 games and only made it to the quarterfinals or semis. If you guys had a healthy Carson Wentz or Armanti Edwards or someone of that caliber then you would be completely unstoppable. I'm not saying Schor isn't a very good QB but there are other QBs I would take over him. Before you say you would not take anyone else there are probably fans from 15 other teams who would say the same. Fordham, San Diego, Sam Houston State, Holy Cross, Grambling, Eastern Washington, South Dakota State, Chattanooga, and several others will all say the same thing.

Schor has intangibles, I would stick with him.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Schor has intangibles, I would stick with him.

And I'm sure those other teams would say the same. My point is that it is impossible to say you have the best QB unless you have broken down film on every player and not just back up with stats but their ability on film and knowing the off the field situation on them.

Thumper 76
June 26th, 2017, 03:13 PM
#4 Christon

Why would I bash that? I wouldn't have phrased it that way but I'm pretty sure every Jacks fan would agree he wasn't playing up to the standard he set the second half of the season after the Marker Game. In the end it was a hell of a year for a sophomore slump. 1st half of the year TC was crazy. 2nd half was a pretty good but not nationally great player. I'm banking with another off-season he gets more consistent through the season towards the former, not the latter.

TheKingpin28
June 26th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Why would I bash that? I wouldn't have phrased it that way but I'm pretty sure every Jacks fan would agree he wasn't playing up to the standard he set the second half of the season after the Marker Game. In the end it was a hell of a year for a sophomore slump. 1st half of the year TC was crazy. 2nd half was a pretty good but not nationally great player. I'm banking with another off-season he gets more consistent through the season towards the former, not the latter.

You must have missed the xlolx

I doubt he does what he did in the Marker game. Having DeLuca back will keep him honest and allow the Bison to cover Goedert and Wieneke with Cover 2. Now if you guys would just get sent to the other side of the bracket so we can have a XDSU Championship game, that would be a dream come true.

BisonTru
June 26th, 2017, 10:39 PM
And I'm sure those other teams would say the same. My point is that it is impossible to say you have the best QB unless you have broken down film on every player and not just back up with stats but their ability on film and knowing the off the field situation on them.

This.

I hate stat scouting QBs. I get that it will get some all star awards/votes, but you really need to watch the tape. There's just so many moving pieces. What offense does he run? How good is the offense around him? How good is the competition he's facing? All that has to come in play and you just have to watch the kid play and take that as it's own piece.

DirtyDukes
June 27th, 2017, 07:40 AM
This.

I hate stat scouting QBs. I get that it will get some all star awards/votes, but you really need to watch the tape. There's just so many moving pieces. What offense does he run? How good is the offense around him? How good is the competition he's facing? All that has to come in play and you just have to watch the kid play and take that as it's own piece.

Anyone who has seen Schor play knows he's a winner.

Thumper 76
June 27th, 2017, 02:10 PM
You must have missed the xlolx

I doubt he does what he did in the Marker game. Having DeLuca back will keep him honest and allow the Bison to cover Goedert and Wieneke with Cover 2. Now if you guys would just get sent to the other side of the bracket so we can have a XDSU Championship game, that would be a dream come true.

Yeah, cover 2 is the answer for those two. Bet nobody thought of that before xlolx.

And my dream matchup includes SDSU knocking NDSU out of the playoffs in Brookings well before the championship game.

clenz
June 27th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Ah Kollmorgen. The ultimate what could have been.

TheKingpin28
June 27th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Yeah, cover 2 is the answer for those two. Bet nobody thought of that before xlolx.

And my dream matchup includes SDSU knocking NDSU out of the playoffs in Brookings well before the championship game.

Honestly, Cover 2 would work once DeLuca comes back. That said, if NDSU has to go to Brookings in the playoffs, it will be a sad day for NDSU Football. Only worse would be going to USD and UND in the playoffs. xthumbsupx

Ah Kollmorgen. The ultimate what could have been.

He was on his own level but was beyond under utilized and injured way too many times. I feel bad for the guy as he had the intangibles and cast to win but Farley and Co kept shooting him down.

Redbird 4th & short
June 28th, 2017, 08:51 AM
no doubt is very good player .. but there are a lot of "winners" around him. Just checked CAA all conference winners .. her is recap of JMU

1st team offense: QB, RB, WR, TE, 2 OL, PR
1st team defense: DL, 2 DB .. pass defense was top 10 in FCS

2nd team offense: OL
2nd team defense: LB, P

3rd team offense: WR

Plus you had Special Team player of year who averaged an astronomical 28 yards per PR though just 15 returns ... KRers would love that number, but for PR that is off the charts. And your 2nd best PR guy ? He averaged a similarly astronomical 22 yards oer PR on just 6 tries. As a team your PRers averaged 27 yards to your opponents 6 yards. What this means is opoonents had to sacrifice distance for hang time just to prevent you PR team from gaining 27 yards on every PR. So while your opponents punted 85 times, you only returned 23 .. but probably still gain 5 to 10 yards because they had to hang it higher every time. This goes back to field oosition stats and argument I posted a few weeks ago .. this is no small reason for JMU success. Add that along with 21 picks to an elite pass defense .. and JMU dominant run game probably average close to 15 yards of advantage in field position on average for every drive across every game.

So no doubt Schor had a great year and is an elite QB and winner .. but he is surrounded by a lot of people who do the jobs very well. So there is no way to conclude anything definitively given he only throws 21 times a game compared to other elite QBs throwig 30 to 40 times a game.

As I said earlier, I think he is closer to a Wentz than a Jensen. But I don't think he is a Wentz.

DirtyDukes
June 28th, 2017, 08:59 AM
no doubt is very good player .. but there are a lot of "winners" around him. Just checked CAA all conference winners .. her is recap of JMU

1st team offense: QB, RB, WR, TE, 2 OL, PR
1st team defense: DL, 2 DB .. pass defense was top 10 in FCS

2nd team offense: OL
2nd team defense: LB, P

3rd team offense: WR

Plus you had Special Team player of year who averaged an astronomical 28 yards per PR though just 15 returns ... KRers would love that number, but for PR that is off the charts. And your 2nd best PR guy ? He averaged a similarly astronomical 22 yards oer PR on just 6 tries. As a team your PRers averaged 27 yards to your opponents 6 yards. What this means is opoonents had to sacrifice distance for hang time just to prevent you PR team from gaining 27 yards on every PR. So while your opponents punted 85 times, you only returned 23 .. but probably still gain 5 to 10 yards because they had to hang it higher every time. This goes back to field oosition stats and argument I posted a few weeks ago .. this is no small reason for JMU success. Add that along with 21 picks to an elite pass defense .. and JMU dominant run game probably average close to 15 yards of advantage in field position on average for every drive across every game.

So no doubt Schor had a great year and is an elite QB and winner .. but he is surrounded by a lot of people who do the jobs very well. So there is no way to conclude anything definitively given he only throws 21 times a game compared to other elite QBs throwig 30 to 40 times a game.

As I said earlier, I think he is closer to a Wentz than a Jensen. But I don't think he is a Wentz.

Oh okay, I didn't realize Carson had no talent around him at NDSU. Fair point!

Redbird 4th & short
June 28th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Oh okay, I didn't realize Carson had no talent around him at NDSU. Fair point!

fair counterpoint about team surrounding Wentz, except Wents is 6'6" and runs a 4.6 forty, in addition to being a very good thrower who sees the field very well. Schor is 6'2" and runs a 4.75.

But I think my point (and others) is that Wentz could carry an offense if asked, and Jensen could not .. Jensen was surrounded by best FCS team ever in my opinion, Wentz was not. And again, i did say I "think" Schor is more Wentz than Jensen. This year, he will have a chance to prove himself further .. lost several senior studs, so let's see how he well he does. So just to clarify, if Wentz is a 10 and Jensen is a 7, I am pretty sure Schor is an 8 .. maybe a 9. But at 21 throws per game, and all the studs around him, it is hard to know how he would do on lesser team where he had to throw 30-40 balls every game to win.

That said .. there is no doubt he had a phenomnal year in 2016, nor that he is a very good QB. All just conjecture and opinions.

Redbird 4th & short
June 28th, 2017, 10:12 AM
fair counterpoint about team surrounding Wentz, except Wents is 6'6" and runs a 4.6 forty, in addition to being a very good thrower who sees the field very well. Schor is 6'2" and runs a 4.75.

But I think my point (and others) is that Wentz could carry an offense if asked, and Jensen could not .. Jensen was surrounded by best FCS team ever in my opinion, Wentz was not. And again, i did say I "think" Schor is more Wentz than Jensen. This year, he will have a chance to prove himself further .. lost several senior studs, so let's see how he well he does. So just to clarify, if Wentz is a 10 and Jensen is a 7, I am pretty sure Schor is an 8 .. maybe a 9. But at 21 throws per game, and all the studs around him, it is hard to know how he would do on lesser team where he had to throw 30-40 balls every game to win.

That said .. there is no doubt he had a phenomnal year in 2016, nor that he is a very good QB. All just conjecture and opinions.

going to amend this to say, based on Jensen SR season only, he is an 8; and based on Schor's junior season only, he is a 9 .. and he has another year to prove if he is a 10 or not.

BisonFan02
June 28th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Schor is neither of those guys. Jensen is the winningest FCS QB of all time and ****ing Wentz was the #2 overall draft pick and NFL starter. Schor likely won't play a down in the NFL....

clenz
June 28th, 2017, 11:07 AM
He was on his own level but was beyond under utilized and injured way too many times. I feel bad for the guy as he had the intangibles and cast to win but Farley and Co kept shooting him down.
Concussions are a harsh mistress that won't let you go once she's got her claws in you - I can speak from experience. Didn't help he was put in bad, unsafe, situations by the play calling - and some of his own decisions.

He could, would, have set every single MVFC passing record during his 4 years if he had actualized his potential.

Plus, he's a real good dude to boot.

caribbeanhen
June 28th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Schor is neither of those guys. Jensen is the winningest FCS QB of all time and ****ing Wentz was the #2 overall draft pick and NFL starter. Schor likely won't play a down in the NFL....

yea righthttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25350&stc=1

citdog
June 28th, 2017, 03:08 PM
yea righthttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25350&stc=1

Why is young Terry Bradshaw so sad???

Professor Chaos
June 28th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Why is young Terry Bradshaw so sad???
He just found out that Chicago Sky forward Elena Delle Donne isn't straight.

BisonTru
June 28th, 2017, 03:26 PM

Joe Haeg won 56 college football games as a starting tackle. There I gave you a bench mark. When Schor gets there I will concede your point.

TheKingpin28
June 28th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Concussions are a harsh mistress that won't let you go once she's got her claws in you - I can speak from experience. Didn't help he was put in bad, unsafe, situations by the play calling - and some of his own decisions.

He could, would, have set every single MVFC passing record during his 4 years if he had actualized his potential.

Plus, he's a real good dude to boot.

I guess I had one that last for multiple days but I had lingering affects for about 6 months. But yeah, I hear you on that. That 13 season was unreal but him and DJ kept that game a close one.

Schism55
June 28th, 2017, 06:11 PM
He just found out that Chicago Sky forward Elena Delle Donne isn't straight.
He's the last guy to that party then xdrunkyx