PDA

View Full Version : An "early look" at this year's Big Sky race

JALMOND
June 18th, 2017, 02:31 PM
From Jim Allen at the Spokane Spokesman-Review (a "realist")

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jun/16/an-early-look-at-how-the-2017-big-sky-conference-f/

Just out of spring practices.

mvemjsunpx
June 18th, 2017, 11:10 PM
(a "realist")

xlolx

Professor Chaos
June 19th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Cal Poly will be higher than #6. They hit the lottery in terms of favorable conference schedules. They should go 6-2 at worst with their Big Sky schedule.

vs Northern Arizona
at Idaho St
at Southern Utah
vs Weber St
at UC Davis
vs Portland St
vs Sacramento St
at Northern Colorado

Iridebikes
June 19th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Cal Poly will be higher than #6. They hit the lottery in terms of favorable conference schedules. They should go 6-2 at worst with their Big Sky schedule.

vs Northern Arizona
at Idaho St
at Southern Utah
vs Weber St
at UC Davis
vs Portland St
vs Sacramento St
at Northern Colorado

As the article stated, NAU hit the jackpot as well, not having to face the top three pre-season ranked teams. This unbalanced schedule is, in my opinion, having a detrimental effect. I don't like the thought that teams that have not played the top teams of the conference can snag a play-off spot, especially if its the guaranteed spot via the conference championship.

mvemjsunpx
June 19th, 2017, 09:04 AM
As the article stated, NAU hit the jackpot as well, not having to face the top three pre-season ranked teams. This unbalanced schedule is, in my opinion, having a detrimental effect. I don't like the thought that teams that have not played the top teams of the conference can snag a play-off spot, especially if its the guaranteed spot via the conference championship.

This kind of thing is good for the conference nationally, though. It prevents over-cannibalization.

POD Knows
June 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM

vs Northern Arizona
at Idaho St
at Southern Utah
vs Weber St
at UC Davis
vs Portland St
vs Sacramento St
at Northern ColoradoIt is a little hard to tell this early how crappy some of these teams might be but this makes the UND schedule last year look positively brutal.

Schism55
June 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM
This kind of thing is good for the conference nationally, though. It prevents over-cannibalization.
I couldn't disagree more. It leaves the teams woefully unprepared for the post season. Iron sharpens iron. Tissue paper sharpens???

mvemjsunpx
June 19th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I couldn't disagree more. It leaves the teams woefully unprepared for the post season. Iron sharpens iron. Tissue paper sharpens???

I think it's much more likely cannibalization kills a playoff-caliber team's chances of getting in (e.g., Northern Iowa every other year) than lack of cannibalization leaves a team unprepared. Sam Houston goes deep in the postseason most every year now even though the Southland has no depth at all.

Besides, we're talking about a power conference here. Even a relatively weak Big Sky schedule is gonna be stronger than most any schedule from a non-power league. The Big Sky isn't exactly the NEC or MEAC.

bri-dog
June 19th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I learned some new things from this article. Like, I was totally unaware that UNC has changed their nickname to the Rams... :p

wapiti
June 19th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I learned some new things from this article. Like, I was totally unaware that UNC has changed their nickname to the Rams... :p

and that Montana State is now the Wildcats.

BadlandsGrizFan
June 19th, 2017, 02:26 PM
No not really, what was good for the conference was having Montana beat everyones ass for over a decade and make it to the semis or chipper every year.

citdog
June 19th, 2017, 03:28 PM
No not really, what was good for the conference was having Montana beat everyones ass for over a decade and make it to the semis or chipper every year.

"Old times they are not forgotten"

nodak651
June 19th, 2017, 05:06 PM
It is a little hard to tell this early how crappy some of these teams might be but this makes the UND schedule last year look positively brutal.
How so?

mtjack
June 19th, 2017, 05:06 PM
So, are we saying here that the Griz living in the past glory of their Big Sky dominance is akin to the South's reliving the Civil War?

History is fun.

I'll show myself the door.....

POD Knows
June 19th, 2017, 05:16 PM
How so?Well, your schedule was pretty lame last year but Cal Poly's schedule this year makes UND's schedule last year look like a brutal run. Clear as mud?

mvemjsunpx
June 19th, 2017, 05:21 PM
So, are we saying here that the Griz living in the past glory of their Big Sky dominance is akin to the South's reliving the Civil War?

Jerome Souers is still the NAU coach, so who's still living in Montana's past glory? ;)

GodHelpTheBears
June 19th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Wow, there are flights to Grand Forks.

Learn something new every day

JALMOND
June 19th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Wow, there are flights to Grand Forks.

Learn something new every day

You get to go on the turboprop tour. Start in Denver, then to Rapid City, Dickinson, Bismarck, Jamestown, and finally Grand Forks (next stop, Bemidji).:D

F'N Hawks
June 19th, 2017, 08:28 PM
You get to go on the turboprop tour. Start in Denver, then to Rapid City, Dickinson, Bismarck, Jamestown, and finally Grand Forks (next stop, Bemidji).:D

Not really. But sounds funny, I guess.

mmiller_34
June 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Does Northern Colorado have some nickname I am unaware of? Or does Jim Allen think that Eastern Washington is in the same conference as Colorado State?

"9) Northern Colorado – The Rams are coming off their first back-to-back winning seasons in their D-1 history, but they return just five starters on defense.
This program will take a step backward in 2017."

GodHelpTheBears
June 19th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Not really. But sounds funny, I guess.

Some of those regional jets aren't far off...although I hear Delta has a slightly better reputation.

UNDColorado
June 20th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Some of those regional jets aren't far off...although I hear Delta has a slightly better reputation.

I happen to be taking a direct flight from Denver into much smaller Devils Lake, ND on Thursday. It's even a jet plane :D

Grizalltheway
June 20th, 2017, 05:58 PM

History is fun.

I'll show myself the door.....

Like the South we will rise again.

citdog
June 20th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Like the South we will rise again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZKXWvHdLzI

coover
June 22nd, 2017, 05:58 PM
My opinion is that the writer of this article did not do much research on any team not playing Eastern Washington. He placed Cal Poly in the middle probably because he didn't spend any time on Cal Poly. He did mention Poly's schedule, probably the easiest in the Conference this year, and their Consensus All-American Fullback, but those things were well known even with virtually no research.

North Dakota is easily the best team in the Conference this year ... and he got that right. And Poly may not be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the Conference this year (but they might be, depending partially on the play of their new starting QB, Khaleel Jenkins), but I do believe they'll finish in the top 3, maybe even on top.

geaux_sioux
June 23rd, 2017, 09:25 AM
My opinion is that the writer of this article did not do much research on any team not playing Eastern Washington. He placed Cal Poly in the middle probably because he didn't spend any time on Cal Poly. He did mention Poly's schedule, probably the easiest in the Conference this year, and their Consensus All-American Fullback, but those things were well known even with virtually no research.

North Dakota is easily the best team in the Conference this year ... and he got that right. And Poly may not be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the Conference this year (but they might be, depending partially on the play of their new starting QB, Khaleel Jenkins), but I do believe they'll finish in the top 3, maybe even on top.
I always cheer for Poly. Last year with a QB that could actually throw your offense was a nightmare to defend. Can the new QB throw or is it back to the old days of 9 passes a game?

Silenoz
June 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
For the record we were 6-5 last year, not 5-6

For whatever that's worth...

slostang
June 23rd, 2017, 03:34 PM
From what I have heard new Cal Poly QB Khaleel Jenkins runs like Chris Brown and throws like Daniel Graves. That is in practice, we will see if it holds on Saturday's next fall. If so, it could be a very good season for Cal Poly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 23rd, 2017, 05:45 PM
UND's defense will be really good. IMO, they win the BSC this year.

citdog
June 23rd, 2017, 07:12 PM
From what I have heard new Cal Poly QB Khaleel Jenkins runs like Chris Brown and throws like Daniel Graves. That is in practice, we will see if it holds on Saturday's next fall. If so, it could be a very good season for Cal Poly.

http://www.gotknowhow.com/quotes/image/major-league-willie-mays-hayes-i-hit-like-mays-and-i-run-like-hayes

dbackjon
June 28th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Jerome Souers is still the NAU coach, so who's still living in Montana's past glory? ;)

The team that beat Montana last year?

Silenoz
June 29th, 2017, 02:58 PM
The team that beat Montana last year?

Is there glory to that when everyone does it? xeyebrowx

Grizalltheway
June 29th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Is there glory to that when everyone does it? xeyebrowx
Sac State didn't beat us, you rube!

BisonTru
June 29th, 2017, 03:24 PM

I don't see it with the schedule they have. They had a cake walk last year. This year not so much. A lot of 50/50 games imo.

geaux_sioux
June 29th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I don't see it with the schedule they have. They had a cake walk last year. This year not so much. A lot of 50/50 games imo.
Cake walk as in playing every top 7 team besides ourselves and EWU? There is a difference between preseason cake and actual cake.

BisonTru
June 29th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Cake walk as in playing every top 7 team besides ourselves and EWU? There is a difference between preseason cake and actual cake.

You played the other 2 BS playoff teams at home. This year almost everyone of your road games is loseable, and Eastern Washington at home will be a battle. Preseason is tough to judge, but this year your schedule looks tougher.

Just my two cents, but Eastern Washington should be the favorite to win the conference.

Daytripper
June 29th, 2017, 03:46 PM

I've heard they have been bustin' ass in the weight room this off season.

cx500d
June 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM

Its from eating the vegan black bean patties....

F'N Hawks
June 29th, 2017, 10:29 PM
That was last year. This year is straight cardio/jazzercise. Lean and sorta mean.

cx500d
June 30th, 2017, 10:02 AM
That was last year. This year is straight cardio/jazzercise. Lean and sorta mean.

What's next, yoga?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNDColorado
June 30th, 2017, 11:07 AM

I think we just found our theme for the year!