PDA

View Full Version : SWAC that the conference will no longer have a title game

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 10:46 AM
https://hbcusports.com/2017/06/13/swac-announces-the-end-of-football-championship-game/

GAD
June 13th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I don't understand this its not like the game wasn't successfulxdontknowx but if a second place is ranked high enough they could end up in the playoffs

Panther88
June 13th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I don't understand this its not like the game wasn't successfulxdontknowx but if a second place is ranked high enough they could end up in the playoffs

Travel to billy-hank, north dakota will ensue if a SWAC squad qualifies. xsmhx

I'm not feeling this, at all. But, I do understand the dedication and support to the AFRCB, if true.

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 11:20 AM

It's about a lot GAD. Sharp is probably on his way out and for good reason.

Herder
June 13th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Travel to billy-hank, north dakota will ensue if a SWAC squad qualifies. xsmhx

I'm not feeling this, at all. But, I do understand the dedication and support to the AFRCB, if true.

They could call that one the Shell-abration Bowl; Billy-Hank . . . you'd be right at home.

Panther88
June 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM
They could call that one the Shell-abration Bowl; Billy-Hank . . . you'd be right at home.

The SWAC Championship Game (SCG) averaged 35,959 fans since the game moved to Houston, Texas (#fact).

How many fans did the game in billy-hank average? I'll wait. Right. [ discuss "quality football" in front of 11.3 fans here----> ::insert retarded smiley:: ]

AggieManiac704
June 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Damn...sharp really might be gone

Panther88
June 13th, 2017, 01:53 PM

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000

Bison56
June 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Am I missing something, I don't understand the point of this?

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 03:11 PM

We're probably gone too!

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Am I missing something, I don't understand the point of this?

You aren't the only one. I don't understand why they would drop this game if it draws more people than any other all season. I would think it would be a money maker.

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 03:17 PM
You aren't the only one. I don't understand why they would drop this game if it draws more people than any other all season. I would think it would be a money maker.

More news will be out soon, it'll all make sense then.

WileECoyote06
June 13th, 2017, 03:58 PM
More news will be out soon, it'll all make sense then.

Conference realignment rumors. . . stay tuned.

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Conference realignment rumors. . . stay tuned.

I'm all ears!

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I'm all ears!

The MEAC may be growing by 2

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 05:19 PM

Has there been any word as to which D2 conference Savannah State will join after next year?

SIAC?

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 05:22 PM

Those two wouldn't be nicknamed Bulldogs and Hornets by any chance? :D

WestCoastAggie
June 13th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Those bulldogs aren't likely to join. But the MEAC is likely to expand. Who saw that coming?

major095
June 13th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Those bulldogs aren't likely to join. But the MEAC is likely to expand. Who saw that coming?

I don't know if the hornets would move without those bulldogs or without the promise of the rattlers.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I don't know if the hornets would move without those bulldogs or without the promise of the rattlers.

i think you are right. The MEAC would be very interesting if it added those 3 teams and executed their referees.

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Has there been any word as to which D2 conference Savannah State will join after next year?

SIAC?

It would be safe to bet that its the SIAC.

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 07:18 PM

Hornets yes! Bulldogs, who knows?

clenz
June 13th, 2017, 08:26 PM
What will this do for the MEAC and the playoff picture? If I remember correctly there was a handful of MEAC school that wanted to keep the playoffs.

Is this in an attempt to build stability in case a few MEAC schools bolt for the Big South?

ASU33
June 13th, 2017, 08:35 PM
What will this do for the MEAC and the playoff picture? If I remember correctly there was a handful of MEAC school that wanted to keep the playoffs.

Is this in an attempt to build stability in case a few MEAC schools bolt for the Big South?

The MEAC will continue to play in The Celebration Bowl. There were a few schools skeptical at first but right now everyone is all in on The Celebration Bowl.

Panther88
June 14th, 2017, 08:26 AM

Or will the OVC be growing by 1?

ASU33
June 14th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Or will the OVC be growing by 1?

Pres Conference is today at 11:30am. I guess we'll see then.

WileECoyote06
June 14th, 2017, 10:27 AM
The MEAC will continue to play in The Celebration Bowl. There were a few schools skeptical at first but right now everyone is all in on The Celebration Bowl.

Correct. No one is leaving. The Celebration Bowl has been a financial and marketing windfall for the participating schools. Schools are trying their darnedest to improve their programs quickly before the initial contract runs out; so they can make an appearance.

Panther88
June 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Pres Conference is today at 11:30am. I guess we'll see then.

I thought AlaSU was doing the conf dealio on Monday June 19th. xconfusedx

Anthony215
June 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Not a fan of getting rid of the SWAC championship game as it was well attended and served a great purpose of getting the best team in the conference into the playoffs and now into the Celebration Bowl. If any SWAC members did defect it would probably be both Alabama schools for the MEAC or OVC. If that happened I can't see the conference remaining much longer with possibly Jackson State & the LS schools all going to the Southland.

In the interim starting in 2018 if a team so happens to not be chosen for the Celebration Bowl from both the MEAC & SWAC and have 9-10 wins on their resume its a good chance both conferences will still be represented in the playoffs.

ASU33
June 14th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I thought AlaSU was doing the conf dealio on Monday June 19th. xconfusedx

It's Monday the press conference today was totally unrelated to this.

Laker
June 14th, 2017, 01:11 PM

What ended up happening?

number1
June 14th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Not a fan of getting rid of the SWAC championship game as it was well attended and served a great purpose of getting the best team in the conference into the playoffs and now into the Celebration Bowl. If any SWAC members did defect it would probably be both Alabama schools for the MEAC or OVC. If that happened I can't see the conference remaining much longer with possibly Jackson State & the LS schools all going to the Southland.

In the interim starting in 2018 if a team so happens to not be chosen for the Celebration Bowl from both the MEAC & SWAC and have 9-10 wins on their resume its a good chance both conferences will still be represented in the playoffs.
The SWAC can survive without the Alabama schools, just have to change up some leadership positions.

ASU33
June 14th, 2017, 03:50 PM
The SWAC can survive without the Alabama schools, just have to change up some leadership positions.

Some leadership positions? You put it very nicely!

number1
June 14th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Some leadership positions? You put it very nicely!
lol, but we know y'all sticking it out with us. The only option that makes since for Bama State is the Big South or OVC. I don't think the MEAC would really be beneficial for y'all or A&M.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 14th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Step 1: Get rid of SWAC Championship game - check
Step 2: Celebration Bowl liquidated after declining attendance, ESPN3-only broadcast and ESPN hemorrhaging money
Step 3: MEAC and SWAC FCS autobids

number1
June 15th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Step 2: Celebration Bowl liquidated after declining attendance, ESPN3-only broadcast and ESPN hemorrhaging money

Sounds like you're kind of wishing for the worst to happen. The only issue that could arise with the Celebration Bowl is ESPN's money issues, but I think we're safe for another 3 years at least.

ASU33
June 15th, 2017, 06:52 AM

The Celebration Bowl isn't going anywhere and the anticipation for the game is only growing. The Celebration Bowl is the main reason that the SWAC title game is going away.

dgtw
June 15th, 2017, 01:32 PM
We're probably gone too!

Has something like this been brewing for a while? I know the SWAC is going to a seven game schedule this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
June 15th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Has something like this been brewing for a while? I know the SWAC is going to a seven game schedule this year.

Been brewing since around 2010. Not to air the conference's dirty laundry but a few schools aren't fans of commissioner Duer Sharp. We were an eye last away from bolting in 2012 along with Alabama A&M.

dgtw
June 15th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Been brewing since around 2010. Not to air the conference's dirty laundry but a few schools aren't fans of commissioner Duer Sharp. We were an eye last away from bolting in 2012 along with Alabama A&M.

What's wrong with him? If you are at liberty to say, are y'all going to the MEAC?

ASU33
June 15th, 2017, 02:25 PM
What's wrong with him? If you are at liberty to say, are y'all going to the MEAC?

I'm not sure what we'll do honestly. People than know who are in "the know" are being tight lipped. I've been hearing MEAC or OVC for a while but I'm not sure what will happen. We've had some real conversations with the MEAC here recently. Dennis Thomas the commissioner has even been on our campus here recently.

As far as Sharp he's a less than stellar commissioner to say the least.

dgtw
June 15th, 2017, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure what we'll do honestly. People than know who are in "the know" are being tight lipped. I've been hearing MEAC or OVC for a while but I'm not sure what will happen. We've had some real conversations with the MEAC here recently. Dennis Thomas the commissioner has even been on our campus here recently.

As far as Sharp he's a less than stellar commissioner to say the least.

Thanks. I wish you well, but I hope it isn't the OVC. Nothing personal, but we already have 12 members and an odd number just makes scheduling a hassle and makes one more mouth to feed in a one bid league. If Murray State had left I wouldn't have had a problem with ASU, although I'd have preferred Kennesaw or Chattanooga. But another HBCU joining might get TSU off their insistence on only playing seven league football games.

That being said, I don't see the rest of the OVC taking in a school in Montgomery.

I am looking forward to see what happens because conference shuffling excites me for some reason.

ASU33
June 15th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Thanks. I wish you well, but I hope it isn't the OVC. Nothing personal, but we already have 12 members and an odd number just makes scheduling a hassle and makes one more mouth to feed in a one bid league. If Murray State had left I wouldn't have had a problem with ASU, although I'd have preferred Kennesaw or Chattanooga. But another HBCU joining might get TSU off their insistence on only playing seven league football games.

That being said, I don't see the rest of the OVC taking in a school in Montgomery.

I am looking forward to see what happens because conference shuffling excites me for some reason.

If I was a gambling man(which I'm not) I would gamble on Tennessee State leaving the OVC before I would us joining.

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I think that press conference will be a funny one to watch.

Tighteye
June 18th, 2017, 03:42 PM
A major malfunction...
1. Drop to a 7 game mandate (What's the tiebreakers and playing conference games as non-conference is a FAIL) should have stayed at 9
2. Cancel the SWAC Bowl (Less money...less money...less money)
3. Playing "real" nonconference opponents in hopes of the playoffs to go winless in FCS playoffs
4. Possible conference defections

Catch SWAC football...It's SWACktastic!

WestCoastAggie
June 19th, 2017, 11:06 AM
A major malfunction...
1. Drop to a 7 game mandate (What's the tiebreakers and playing conference games as non-conference is a FAIL) should have stayed at 9
3. Playing "real" nonconference opponents in hopes of the playoffs to go winless in FCS playoffs

Ha! A TE sighting??? I thought you jumped off the face of the earth.

ASU33
June 19th, 2017, 01:37 PM
A major malfunction...

What he said!

Laker
June 19th, 2017, 11:12 PM

I just got home after being at the MSU Mankato football golf outing all day. Did they announce anything today?

ASU33
June 20th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I just got home after being at the MSU Mankato football golf outing all day. Did they announce anything today?

The press conference was a waste of time pretty much. The AD pretty much stated that we're not leaving the SWAC right now but that we are "looking at all options" as far as conference affiliation. Also it was announced that we will be playing Tuskegee on Labor Day weekend from here on out until the foreseeable future.

number1
June 20th, 2017, 09:42 PM
A major malfunction...

Yet you purposely play 1 fewer league game just so you can play our conference members......... Don't let beating up on Jackson State go to your head.