PDA

View Full Version : What would be your dream title game matchup this year?

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Someone posted this article from Hero Sports over on the JSU board and I instantly thought "there are better possible matchups than this".

First things first, James Madison (http://herosports.com/colleges/teams/james-madison-mens-football) and North Dakota State (http://herosports.com/colleges/teams/north-dakota-state-mens-football) head into the 2017 season as clear favorites to meet up in the FCS (http://herosports.com/fcs-football) title game. Both have favorable schedules where more than one loss would be a surprise, putting them as the likely No. 1 and 2 seeds.

But as much as the consensus is that the Dukes and Bison are the top dogs, a lot can change in half a year.

*snip*

As the past has shown, the most popular preseason pick to make the FCS title game usually doesn't happen. This year could certainly be different, as JMU and NDSU look to be a step above the remaining teams. A rematch in Frisco of the 2016 semifinals would be an absolute slobberknocker. Not to mention the Dallas suburbs being overrun with the two most passionate fan bases in the FCS.
But just in case this season continues the same trend as previous years, let's take a look at 10 other fantasy FCS title games that could happen.

http://herosports.com/fcs-football/10-fantasy-fcs-title-games-that-could-happen-2017-season-bzbz

Do I think most of these are likely to happen? Not in the least. But it's still fun to think about.

My top 5:
JSU vs UTC

I personally think a JSU/UTC matchup in Frisco would be fun. End the season where it began with one of the biggest emerging rivalries in the FCS. Not only would it kick the rivalry into overdrive, the JSU/ UTC games have been extremely close and extremely entertaining games.

James Madison vs. NDSU

For obvious reasons I don't think I'm alone in saying this would be a fun matchup to watch. Last year's game in the semifinals was a fun one and having both fan bases in Frisco would probably set all the local bar owners up for retirement.

JSU vs. Eastern Washington

Traditionally, the two teams here have been offensive powerhouses over the past couple years but rely on different methods to rack up their points. EWU's passing attack vs. JSU's running game. Needless to say, this game would likely be a track meet. I think it would be an interesting matchup just due to how JSU and EWU are built.

JSU vs. The Citadel

It would be nice to have something extra to bug Citdog with. Besides, this game would likely be a fun one. I've personally wanted a game with El Cid for a while and I think the matchups with the running games given that both teams have good defenses. Could be a low scoring game.

JSU vs. NDSU

Both teams have seen significant changes since their last matchup and I think Grass finally got the memo what doesn't work against hard-nosed Valley teams. I'd personally like to see a rematch. If JSU is able to make it back to the Title game it will likely mean their penalty problem has subsided and we would have a better chance than we did two years ago against Wentz.

What matchups would you guys want to see in Frisco this year?

RabidRabbit
June 13th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Never happen due to regionalization, but SDSU vs NDSU. Jacks have been a top 4 team several times in last 6, but mostly get fed into Fargo. Only won up there twice in 50 years, and never in play offs. Would like to play on a neutral field, close to me.

KPSUL
June 13th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Missouri State vs. Rhode Island. Dream Big! No regionalization issues here.

RootinFerDukes
June 13th, 2017, 07:48 AM
JMU vs a beatable team

DirtyDukes
June 13th, 2017, 07:51 AM
JMU vs Spatters

RootinFerDukes
June 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Never happen due to regionalization, but SDSU vs NDSU. Jacks have been a top 4 team several times in last 6, but mostly get fed into Fargo. Only won up there twice in 50 years, and never in play offs. Would like to play on a neutral field, close to me.

Toyota Stadium in Frisco, TX is still very much an NDSU home game when they play there. It won't be much less of a home field advantage for them.

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM
SFA vs Sam.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 13th, 2017, 08:08 AM

If NDSU and SDSU end up 11-0 and 10-1 or the other way around....they could be on opposite sides of the bracket. Even with differing records they could still be on opposite sides and meet in the title game.

Mocs123
June 13th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Chattanooga vs Jacksonville State

Model Citizen
June 13th, 2017, 08:28 AM
San Diego v. Butler. Butler would be the at-large team in this scenario.

Sammy94
June 13th, 2017, 08:43 AM
SHSU vs any Big Sky team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 13th, 2017, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=Sammy94;2489084]SHSU vs any Big Sky team.[/QUOTE

3-0 defensive slugfest in that one....

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Villanova vs. Delaware

caribbeanhen
June 13th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Villanova vs. Delaware

you guys had that match up in the bag until you lost on the left coast red field right?

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2017, 09:36 AM
NDSU vs Montana

Frisco's metaphorical cherry would be obliterated.

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 09:42 AM

I watched the 1986 D2 title game NDSU 27-7 over South Dakota. I don't know if they changed the policy the next year but that must have been the last time two teams from the same conference met in the championship.

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 09:43 AM
you guys had that match up in the bag until you lost on the left coast red field right?

Year after the championship. Team was banged up & didn't get it done.

Daytripper
June 13th, 2017, 09:49 AM
SFA vs Sam.

^^^^^^

That would be awesome.

Many houses divided in the state of Texas.

Sammy94
June 13th, 2017, 09:56 AM
^^^^^^

That would be awesome.

SFA has this, their title game, every year in a better stadium.

BEAR
June 13th, 2017, 10:03 AM
HBU vs any HBCU team.

xdontknowxxlolx

Grizalltheway
June 13th, 2017, 10:09 AM
NDSU vs Montana

Almost got it in 2011, but as Oasis says, we had the chance and threw it away...

PAllen
June 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Lehigh / Lafayette part 2. This time for all the marbles.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Lehigh / Lafayette part 2. This time for all the marbles.

I'd nuzzle wt shermans decayed schmeckle if that happened.

Catatonic
June 13th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Houston Baptist vs Prairie View.

Because it defies all pollsters and conventional logic, kind of like Trump winning the White House.

mango433
June 13th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I watched the 1986 D2 title game NDSU 27-7 over South Dakota. I don't know if they changed the policy the next year but that must have been the last time two teams from the same conference met in the championship.

Maybe in D2 but NDSU played Illinois State in the championship a few yeas ago.

caribbeanhen
June 13th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Columbia vs Prairie View A&M from the playa in the 51st state Bowl.....

Mocs123
June 13th, 2017, 12:59 PM
My second choice after UTC- JSU would be UTC - Richmond

Thumper 76
June 13th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Toyota Stadium in Frisco, TX is still very much an NDSU home game when they play there. It won't be much less of a home field advantage for them.
Oh, thanks for telling us this earth shattering info on our main rivals. Jacks fans had no idea NDSU travels well...

Laker
June 13th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Maybe in D2 but NDSU played Illinois State in the championship a few yeas ago.

Yep, great point.

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2017, 03:56 PM
SFA has this, their title game, every year in a better stadium.

Still salty about that loss to FSU in baseball?

slostang
June 13th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Cal Poly vs any team.

Daytripper
June 13th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Still salty about that loss to FSU in baseball?

I'm sure the SFA baseball team enjoyed watching the super regionals on television.

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I'm sure the SFA baseball team enjoyed watching the super regionals on television.

I'm sure anyone who doesn't like sam enjoyed it. Just like the JMU game.

Or folks on katfans watching SFA basketball in recent years.

Daytripper
June 13th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I'm sure anyone who doesn't like sam enjoyed it. Just like the JMU game.

Or folks on katfans watching SFA basketball in recent years.

Fair enough. Personally, when a Southland team has national success (SFA in basketball, for instance) I root for them because it is good in the long run for the conference. But, to each their own.

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Fair enough. Personally, when a Southland team has national success (SFA in basketball, for instance) I root for them because it is good in the long run for the conference. But, to each their own.

I cheered for sam. I'd have loved to see you in Omaha

BisonTru
June 13th, 2017, 05:45 PM
1. Ndsu vs Towson
2. Ndsu vs YSU

Towson gets the nod because they sell their tickets first come on their website.

YSU gives their tickets to their opponents but considering I'm not high on the bison priority list it's a better shot I get tickets buying on the opponents website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM
NDSU and either Georgia Southern or App State.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 06:25 PM
1. Ndsu vs Towson
2. Ndsu vs YSU

Towson gets the nod because they sell their tickets first come on their website.

YSU gives their tickets to their opponents but considering I'm not high on the bison priority list it's a better shot I get tickets buying on the opponents website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xlolx

Look at you Tru! You are learning how to troll!

GodHelpTheBears
June 13th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Missouri State vs. ______________

If this actually happened, I'd quit my job, buy a 1996 Ford Windstar and live in stadium parking lots like a Deadhead.

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2017, 06:45 PM

I cheered for sam. I'd have loved to see you in Omaha

Get a room.

cx500d
June 13th, 2017, 09:44 PM
xlolx

Look at you Tru! You are learning how to troll on a thread other than politics!

FYP

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 09:46 PM
FYP

Fantastically Yuge Penis

cx500d
June 13th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Fantastically Yuge Penis

You heard that from this Montana girl I used to date, didn't you.

BisonTru
June 13th, 2017, 10:18 PM
FYP

I'm actually not trolling. I really do like available affordable tickets. Just like I also like competent... well, come down to the poli board and we can hash out something we've probably previously hashed out.

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Furman vs. Mercer, decided after multiple OT's (but not by a kick), in a packed out Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta...with the roof open.

dewey
June 13th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I'm actually not trolling. I really do like available affordable tickets. Just like I also like competent... well, come down to the poli board and we can hash out something we've probably previously hashed out.

There are plenty of tickets available for cost in August every year.

Dewey

BisonTru
June 13th, 2017, 11:37 PM
There are plenty of tickets available for cost in August every year.

Dewey

I usually buy some. This last year I got stuck in a combine with no cell service when they went on sale. Oh well, unfortunately this last year didn't matter.

Mattymc727
June 14th, 2017, 06:57 AM
After 13 straight playoff years or whatever. Id be happy to play Alabama in the NC. Just get over the damn hump please.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Oh, thanks for telling us this earth shattering info on our main rivals. Jacks fans had no idea NDSU travels well...

Your post implied that you'd somehow be at less of a disadvantage by not playing in Fargo. The decibel level may be slightly lower, but that's about it.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2017, 07:11 AM
NDSU and either Georgia Southern or App State.

LULZ they're too busy playing in the Camellia bowl against a generic MAC team. Don't you realize how big time that is?

PAllen
June 14th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I'd nuzzle wt shermans decayed schmeckle if that happened.

I think you're pretty safe, but I'll hold you to that.

BisonFan02
June 14th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I want Lehigh/Lafayette at Hagood....Chuck roadtrip. :D

Evolution Prime
June 14th, 2017, 08:31 AM
1. SDSU vs NDSU
2. SDSU vs Montana
3. SDSU vs JMU
4. SDSU vs Anyone (I'd just be happy for SDSU to get there)

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Your post implied that you'd somehow be at less of a disadvantage by not playing in Fargo. The decibel level may be slightly lower, but that's about it.
Well, yes we would be at less of a disadvantage in Frisco than Fargo, at least from from a purely attendance and atmosphere level. There certainly would be more NDSU fans, but you also are very much underestimating how many Jacks fans would make the trip. It would be a better ratio than when we have 300 seats in the Fargodome to get tickets from.

1. SDSU vs NDSU
2. SDSU vs Montana
3. SDSU vs JMU
4. SDSU vs Anyone (I'd just be happy for SDSU to get there)

I don't want to face NDSU in Frisco. Not for the reason people think. I want to eliminate them en route, in Brookings, so they get a taste. My list:

SDSU vs Montana (vengeance)
SDSU vs JMU
SDSU vs Delaware
SDSU vs SHSU
SDSU vs EWU

Non SDSU matchups

Montana vs JMU
El Cid vs SHSU
An Ivy vs anyone, cause then they are participating in the playoffs

Hammerhead
June 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM
NDSU and Illinois State met in the championship game, but they hadn't met during the regular season. NDSU and USD met in the D-II title game back in 1986.

If NDSU and SDSU end up 11-0 and 10-1 or the other way around....they could be on opposite sides of the bracket. Even with differing records they could still be on opposite sides and meet in the title game.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2017, 09:48 AM
LULZ they're too busy playing in the Camellia bowl against a generic MAC team. Don't you realize how big time that is?
Hasn't JMU made their intentions quite clear that they've been trying to get to that same "big time" level for some time now?

Daytripper
June 14th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I would actually like to see SHSU and UCA play. It would be great for the Southland and Frisco would be about midway between the two schools.

jmufan999
June 14th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Hasn't JMU made their intentions quite clear that they've been trying to get to that same "big time" level for some time now?

No. JMU has never said anything like this. A few JMU fans have, but JMU has never said anything like that.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2017, 10:23 AM
No. JMU has never said anything like this. A few JMU fans have, but JMU has never said anything like that.
It appears in 2011 your AD did.

This blog from 9/21/2011 even says as far back as the 2008 Bridgeforth expansion there was talk from the AD about an FBS move: http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=2986

After years of responding to questions about the possibility of JMU moving up to the FBS (1A) level in football with responses like “not under the current administration” and “over my dead body,” Athletic Director Jeff Bourne told the Daily News Record yesterday that “I think it is very likely this could happen. I think you could see movement in the next 18-24 months.”
Bourne said, without prompting, that he could see JMU becoming a charter member of a conference comprised of upper-level I-AA schools and lower-level I-A schools – schools such as Appalachian State, Delaware, Marshall, Ohio University and Old Dominion.
To JMU’s tremendous credit, Bourn mentioned precisely this scenario back in 2008 when discussing the expansion of Bridgeforth Stadium. Whether or not the stadium, and this potential move, turn out to be a good idea financially and ideaologically, remains to be seen, but you can’t say JMU didn’t plan for this or is just being reactionary to as the effects trickle down from the mega-conference/BCS cartel.

Gangtackle11
June 14th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking of changing my mind to Villanova vs. Lehigh. xpeacex

BadlandsGrizFan
June 14th, 2017, 01:07 PM
HAHHA yep this one gets my vote too. Frisco would never be the same again.

NDSU vs Montana

- - - Updated - - -

Please dont act like Texas gives a flying **** about either of those programs.

^^^^^^

That would be awesome.

citdog
June 14th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I want Lehigh/Lafayette at Hagood....Chuck roadtrip. :D

We'd have to fumigate the pretentious out of The General post game.

IBleedYellow
June 14th, 2017, 04:10 PM
NDSU vs Anyone in Frisco.

Bring on the competition, baby!

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2017, 04:20 PM

Our message board posters have been howling at the moon since 2004. Our administration has had their head in the sand just as long. Big difference.

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM
It appears in 2011 your AD did.

This blog from 9/21/2011 even says as far back as the 2008 Bridgeforth expansion there was talk from the AD about an FBS move: http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=2986

He was quickly told to shut up by our president at the time. He went rogue in that moment.

AshevilleApp2
June 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Glad you're paying attention! xnodx

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2017, 06:07 PM
He was quickly told to shut up by our president at the time. He went rogue in that moment.

So they are quietly looking to then

cx500d
June 14th, 2017, 09:20 PM
I usually buy some. This last year I got stuck in a combine with no cell service when they went on sale. Oh well, unfortunately this last year didn't matter.

Too bad it wasn't in the auger.

RootinFerDukes
June 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM
So they are quietly looking to then

Quietly looking while quietly failing to take action when opportunity is staring them in the face on multiple occasions over the last decade, yes.

caribbeanhen
June 15th, 2017, 08:36 AM

I never knew Patrick Harker was the president of JMU and Delaware at the same time...

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 15th, 2017, 01:09 PM
NDSU vs SDSU

11-0 and 10-1 on opposite sides of the bracket.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 15th, 2017, 04:01 PM
NDSU versus Chatty (hilarity ensues on AGS)
SHSU versus Delaware (KC Keeler versus his former team)
Griz versus SoCon team (for old time's sake)

JSUSoutherner
June 15th, 2017, 05:50 PM

I would LOVE this to happen. It would be funnier than hell. But only on the condition we lose a close one to NDSU and NDSU stomps Chatty's guts out like they are Sam Houston State.

BisonFan02
June 15th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I would LOVE this to happen. It would be funnier than hell. But only on the condition we lose a close one to NDSU and NDSU stomps Chatty's guts out like they are Sam Houston State.

Other than Chattown, it wouldn't top the gongshow that was the semifinal threads with Georgia Southern. Those got messy. xlolx

Sammy94
June 16th, 2017, 03:55 PM

That would be a great one.

Daytripper
June 16th, 2017, 10:08 PM

The gohens.net forum would literally explode. UD civil war would ensue..

citdog
June 16th, 2017, 10:11 PM
The gohens.net forum would literally explode. UD civil war would ensue..

Delaware didn't have the guts to pick a side in the first one...

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Delaware didn't have the guts to pick a side in the first one...

that's because the Mason Dixon line runs north/south vice east/west along the western border of Delaware