PDA

View Full Version : Street and Smith's 2017 Patriot League Preseason Predictions

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2017, 12:40 PM
The S&S picks:

1. Lehigh
2. Fordham
3. Colgate
4. Holy Cross
5. Bucknell
6. Georgetown
7. Lafayette

Thoughts:

1. Don't sleep on Colgate.
2. Tom Gilmore has a contract through 2018. Will he make it past 2017?
3. Lafayette won't finish last.

carney2
June 11th, 2017, 01:31 PM
It's pretty easy to pick the Patsies in 2017. Lehigh is the class of the League, and the others sort out pretty much as Street & Smith predicts. I agree with DFW however, when he says that Lafayette will not finish last. Tavani left the offensive cupboard bare, but Garrett has trolled the entire country looking for QB talent. Don't know if he's found the right guy, but he will have 8 to sort out come August 3rd. On the other side of the ball, the Leopards have some talent, but cannot survive an endless series of 3-and-outs by their offense.

Oh yeah, in case you weren't aware, Garrett's Offensive coordinator and QB coach has resigned - before coaching even one game. I think that Coach Garrett can survive as his own OC, but probably needs someone to babysit the herd of QBs.

RichH2
June 11th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Cant disagree on paper picks. As usual every team has holes. Lehigh perhaps fewer but a large one at LB. If Pujols stays healthy think Tom' s boys could make a run at top 2. Gate solid but will Hunt have a QB for his O.
Pards wont finish last but not much higher. D will keep them in every game. Can Garrett fix the O?

Fordham
June 12th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I think it's going to be incredibly tight this year and agree there is no way Lafayette finishes in the cellar. They may surprise the most since a complacent program is about to get a nice change in culture at the helm. That has to provide a boost imo.

As much as you should be able to say this about all of them, Gilmore better be coaching like his job depends on it.

We are loaded on O. Our issue, as always, is whether or not we have a D who can stop a pee wee squad for the first time in a long time. I was VERY impressed with our new D staff but we'll see when we finally line up. What do the Bucknell guys have to say about John Bowes?

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 12th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I find it hard to believe it will be anyone other than Fordham and Lehigh this year. Both teams are loaded with top-shelf FCS talent on offense. I don't see Colgate being much of a factor sadly. Their schedule is one again brutal and they suffered heavy graduation losses. They do have some good skill guys and a solid front 7 on D. OL and QB are extremely dicey though.

Lafayette will absolutely be improved! I think they could challenge for as high as 3rd. They're Fordham circa 2011 (1-10) to 2012 (6-5).

Holy Cross has Pujals, McBeath and not much else. Who is Pujals throwing to? I think Gilmore is cooked.

Bucknell's offense might actually be worse this year and Georgetown is still a stadium away from having a chance...

I do think Lehigh and Fordham will give the league some much needed national respect this year. I'm confident this is the year scholarships really pay off. Colgate got the ball rolling two years ago but there's another hurdle or two to cross. Both LU and FU could sniff the Top 10 by the end of the year if the D's improve imo. Lehigh was on the right track last year. They went from historically bad in 2015 to "nearly mediocre". If they can reach "pretty good" in 2017 it could be a huge year.

RichH2
June 12th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I think it's going to be incredibly tight this year and agree there is no way Lafayette finishes in the cellar. They may surprise the most since a complacent program is about to get a nice change in culture at the helm. That has to provide a boost imo.

As much as you should be able to say this about all of them, Gilmore better be coaching like his job depends on it.

We are loaded on O. Our issue, as always, is whether or not we have a D who can stop a pee wee squad for the first time in a long time. I was VERY impressed with our new D staff but we'll see when we finally line up. What do the Bucknell guys have to say about John Bowes?
Expect our game will be a barn burner. Over/under 100/ 84 :)

citdog
June 12th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I find it hard to believe it will be anyone other than Fordham and Lehigh this year. Both teams are loaded with top-shelf FCS talent on offense. I don't see Colgate being much of a factor sadly. Their schedule is one again brutal and they suffered heavy graduation losses. They do have some good skill guys and a solid front 7 on D. OL and QB are extremely dicey though.

Lafayette will absolutely be improved! I think they could challenge for as high as 3rd. They're Fordham circa 2011 (1-10) to 2012 (6-5).

Holy Cross has Pujals, McBeath and not much else. Who is Pujals throwing to? I think Gilmore is cooked.

Bucknell's offense might actually be worse this year and Georgetown is still a stadium away from having a chance...

I do think Lehigh and Fordham will give the league some much needed national respect this year. I'm confident this is the year scholarships really pay off. Colgate got the ball rolling two years ago but there's another hurdle or two to cross. Both LU and FU could sniff the Top 10 by the end of the year if the D's improve imo. Lehigh was on the right track last year. They went from historically bad in 2015 to "nearly mediocre". If they can reach "pretty good" in 2017 it could be a huge year.

There won't be ONE patsy league team in the Top 15 but you think TWO will be in the Top 10!

https://media.tenor.com/images/aee72fd7530ce5deae7209ffe6df76c0/tenor.gif

RichH2
June 12th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Too early yet for trolling citdog :). Think owl pretty accurate right now. We'll see how it plays out. Both Fordham and Lehigh have open issues that need to be resolved.

Gangtackle11
June 12th, 2017, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=citdog;2488892]There won't be ONE patsy league team in the Top 15 but you think TWO will be in the Top 10!

Any Top 10 consideration for Lehigh will be answered against Villanova on 9/2. A loss there & a run of the table won't get them a sniff.

citdog
June 12th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Touchdown New Hampshire

RichH2
June 12th, 2017, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=citdog;2488892]There won't be ONE patsy league team in the Top 15 but you think TWO will be in the Top 10!

Any Top 10 consideration for Lehigh will be answered against Villanova on 9/2. A loss there & a run of the table won't get them a sniff.
Agree if LU suffers a bad L. Any L and LU may depend a lot on Nova success or failure. Realistically #12 is way too high for a preseason ranking. Top 20 at best right now.LU does return most of their starters but losing Shafniskey will limit their O early on. New OC and DC is another factor to be weighed.

Gangtackle11
June 12th, 2017, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2488896]
Agree if LU suffers a bad L. Any L and LU may depend a lot on Nova success or failure. Realistically #12 is way too high for a preseason ranking. Top 20 at best right now.LU does return most of their starters but losing Shafniskey will limit their O early on. New OC and DC is another factor to be weighed.

I think Nova at #8 is also a bit too high. 9-4 last season, but no signature wins. Beat teams with winning records in Albany, Maine, Lehigh, StFU. Not the most fearsome four. Beat up Lafayette, Towson, Elon, Rhody, Delaware along the way. All poor football teams in '16.

Lost to Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU scoring a total of 21 points (14 from offense). Nova was a product of its schedule. They did play all 4 teams they lost to tough. Just had no offense to speak of & let a top notch defense to fend for themselves. Just wasn't enough.

This year we play everyone again except Temple is in for Pitt. I can see us doing much the same losing 2-3 games in regular season. The CAA schedule is too favorable not to think Nova is a 8 maybe 9 win team.

A loss to Lehigh would be a huge warning signal for my prediction. Must game IMHO.

I dont see Lehigh stopping Villanova's run game. They should control the clock & grind out a win if they play mistake free. The defense won't be as good, but they will be better than most in FCS & by far the best Lehigh sees in the regular season.

LUHawker
June 13th, 2017, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=RichH2;2488918]

I think Nova at #8 is also a bit too high. 9-4 last season, but no signature wins. Beat teams with winning records in Albany, Maine, Lehigh, StFU. Not the most fearsome four. Beat up Lafayette, Towson, Elon, Rhody, Delaware along the way. All poor football teams in '16.

Lost to Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU scoring a total of 21 points (14 from offense). Nova was a product of its schedule. They did play all 4 teams they lost to tough. Just had no offense to speak of & let a top notch defense to fend for themselves. Just wasn't enough.

This year we play everyone again except Temple is in for Pitt. I can see us doing much the same losing 2-3 games in regular season. The CAA schedule is too favorable not to think Nova is a 8 maybe 9 win team.

A loss to Lehigh would be a huge warning signal for my prediction. Must game IMHO.

I dont see Lehigh stopping Villanova's run game. They should control the clock & grind out a win if they play mistake free. The defense won't be as good, but they will be better than most in FCS & by far the best Lehigh sees in the regular season.

Last year's LU-VU game wasn't particularly indicative of Lehigh (and maybe not Villanova). Shafnisky played great from the Penn game on last year (game 3 I believe), but was a liability against VU. There were 2, for certain, easy TD passes that Shaf missed on against VU that would have changed the outcome. Losing to LU should not be a "huge warning signal". I expect a tight game. Hopefully good (i.e. not too hot) weather at Goodman for a good match-up. BTW, are you Nova folks ever going to bring a good crowd to Bethlehem? It's so close, we have awesome tailgating (which as you know, VU decidedly does not) and is a good match-up. Yet, it's always empty on the visitors side. Crowds are good at VU stadium for this game; why not in Bethlehem?

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2488924]

Last year's LU-VU game wasn't particularly indicative of Lehigh (and maybe not Villanova). Shafnisky played great from the Penn game on last year (game 3 I believe), but was a liability against VU. There were 2, for certain, easy TD passes that Shaf missed on against VU that would have changed the outcome. Losing to LU should not be a "huge warning signal". I expect a tight game. Hopefully good (i.e. not too hot) weather at Goodman for a good match-up. BTW, are you Nova folks ever going to bring a good crowd to Bethlehem? It's so close, we have awesome tailgating (which as you know, VU decidedly does not) and is a good match-up. Yet, it's always empty on the visitors side. Crowds are good at VU stadium for this game; why not in Bethlehem?

Rhetorical question. Play us in hoops for crowds.

We lose to Lehigh it will be a long CAA season. Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

You could beat us. Heck Penn did in '15, but me thinks it's a bad omen much like the Penn loss was that year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 13th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank[/B]. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

You could beat us. Heck Penn did in '15, but me thinks it's a bad omen much like the Penn loss was that year.

Completely disagree. This years Lehigh would be in the upper half of CAA. Hopefully they can take down the CAA champ like they did in 2011 and Colgate did in 2015.

I really hope the players are underestimating this year's Lehigh as much as you are. Lehigh's talent on offense is MUCH better than Nova's. Defense is another story. Lehigh probably has the advantage in the kicking game.

RichH2
June 13th, 2017, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=LUHawker;2489152]

Rhetorical question. Play us in hoops for crowds.

We lose to Lehigh it will be a long CAA season. Lehigh at best is a middle of pack CAA team. Sorry for being brutally frank. We rarely lose recruits to you guys. Our players are slightly better in most positions & in most seasons. It's not impossible just I think it's a bad sign.

Gotta take issue with your view on talent. I will concede that Nova has a deeper roster than Lehigh overall but not by the edge you seem to see. Moreover, there is no doubt that Lehigh's O has a substantial talent edge over Nova. Nova may have the edge on D particularly at LB .DL also but LU should have a much better one this year.
I think it will be a close game.
If it is it will not be an omen for either of a good or bad season.

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2017, 05:36 PM
If they made pre-season predictions based on effort, Georgetown would compete for the title every year. But it's based on performance, and when you're 121st of 122 schools in total offense, you're not making plans in November. Without some real progress offensively, this team may not win a game after mid-September.

Georgetown just added a new RB coach from the U. of Chicago to help with this.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061317aaa.html

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Gangtackle11;2489154]
Gotta take issue with your view on talent. I will concede that Nova has a deeper roster than Lehigh overall but not by the edge you seem to see. Moreover, there is no doubt that Lehigh's O has a substantial talent edge over Nova. Nova may have the edge on D particularly at LB .DL also but LU should have a much better one this year.
I think it will be a close game.
If it is it will not be an omen for either of a good or bad season.

Didnt say it wasn't going to be a good game. I'd say the line will be Nova -7 or so. I can see Lehigh winning this game, but the odds are they won't.

That said it's a bad loss for Nova as it indicates that they are more likely closer to the middle of the CAA than the top. Sorry, but that's how I see it. I don't see Lehigh being any more than a middle of the pack CAA team.

I don't see them hanging with JMU, Richmond, & UNH for sure. I think Nova is looking to be amongst that group vs. Maine, Stony Brook, W&M, etc.
It is a bad sign if Nova loses at Lehigh as they still have Temple, JMU, Richmond, etc. so it's real important to not lose to Lehigh.

Lehigh will be a top 25 team win or lose & most likely a playoff team, but it may be more because of playing no one vs. talent. Losing to Nova doesn't hurt Lehigh. Same can't be said for a Nova loss.

Not looking to pick a fight. Just how I see it.

PS: how many of your players held Villanova offers & choose Lehigh? I'd say the answer is zero or close to it.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Completely disagree. This years Lehigh would be in the upper half of CAA. Hopefully they can take down the CAA champ like they did in 2011 and Colgate did in 2015.

I really hope the players are underestimating this year's Lehigh as much as you are. Lehigh's talent on offense is MUCH better than Nova's. Defense is another story. Lehigh probably has the advantage in the kicking game.

You are delusional Bro. There isn't a single patsy league team that could finish better than 4th or 5th in ANY of the GOOD conferences in the FCS. You couldn't stay within 6 touchdowns of a mediocre UNH team last year. 'Nova wins this one by at least 17pts.

RichH2
June 13th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Last couple of years remakably few H2Hs. McCloskey definitely a W for you guys. Didnt have much hope as Mays only a Jr and kid not up to waiting til his Jr yr. True enuf tho ,while we have gotten a few ,Nova has won most . Same with W & M. We do much better vs UNH. Very few conflicts with the rest of CAA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM
You are delusional Bro. There isn't a single patsy league team that could finish better than 4th or 5th in ANY of the GOOD conferences in the FCS. You couldn't stay within 6 touchdowns of a mediocre UNH team last year. 'Nova wins this one by at least 17pts.

And you sir are a joke of a human who has nothing better to do than be an internet troll, offer uninformed nonsense and harass people. You clearly have a psychological issue that's a result of your upbringing and "military training" at The Citadel. As a result you feel compelled to wage some sort of "mental warfare" on a FCS message board as a way to get some sort of inner satisfaction and sense of "superiority". The only loser on this thread or any thread on AGS is you.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 08:11 PM
And you sir are a joke of a human who has nothing better to do than be an internet troll, offer uninformed nonsense and harass people. You clearly have a psychological issue that's a result of your upbringing and "military training" at The Citadel. As a result you feel compelled to wage some sort of "mental warfare" on a FCS message board as a way to get some sort of inner satisfaction and sense of "superiority". The only loser on this thread or any thread on AGS is you.

TRIGGERED!

One of these should help.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71xGH%2BxUadL._SL1491_.jpg

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Last couple of years remakably few H2Hs. McCloskey definitely a W for you guys. Didnt have much hope as Mays only a Jr and kid not up to waiting til his Jr yr. True enuf tho ,while we have gotten a few ,Nova has won most . Same with W & M. We do much better vs UNH. Very few conflicts with the rest of CAA.

McCloskey had FBS offers from the MAC. We weren't fighting Lehigh for him.

KPSUL
June 13th, 2017, 08:44 PM

You must have very low standards for "doing much better". UNH leads the all time series 13-3.

van
June 13th, 2017, 08:47 PM
You must have very low standards for "doing much better". UNH leads the all time series 13-3.

the discussion was about recruiting competition, try to keep up!

KPSUL
June 13th, 2017, 08:58 PM
the discussion was about recruiting competition, try to keep up!
Excellent point! The team that wins 3 of 16 and most recently lost in a blow-out clearly must be recruiting better players.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Excellent point! The team that wins 3 of 16 and most recently lost in a blow-out clearly must be recruiting better players.

Dude to some of these patsy league snowflakes facts are like sunlight to a vampire. Some are actually pretty cool and give as good as they get and I admire them for it. They stick up for their schools and are usually pretty good sports.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2017, 09:11 PM
You guys are absolutely right, Lehigh has no chance with a new starting QB and big holes to fill at LB. Wouldn't be surprised if you beat us by several touchdowns. If we can score against you I'd consider it a major success.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 09:20 PM
You guys are absolutely right, Lehigh has no chance with a new starting QB and big holes to fill at LB. Wouldn't be surprised if you beat us by several touchdowns. If we can score against you I'd consider it a major success.

xlolx

nicely done

KPSUL
June 13th, 2017, 09:34 PM
xlolx

nicely done

Biting sarcasm and a rapier like wit; except that what he said is likely true.

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 09:39 PM

I never said you didn't have a chance. I just said it bodes poorly for Villanova because Lehigh isn't as good as the top teams we are competing with for the playoffs. You guys need to stop getting upset because you are in the Patsy & follow along better.

Lehigh loses the game & they will still go 10-1. Nova loses the game & they still need to play several teams on their schedule that most would say are better than Lehigh.

I certainly know Lehigh has a chance to win the game especially after watching Nova lose in 2015 to Penn for the 1st since 1911. I personally believe Nova recruits better athletes & plays a more competitive schedule. I think that Lehigh even in their now legendary 4-2-5 will find the team that ran for 396 yards last game on them will be tough to stop. We have some players that you didn't see playing on offense also that went on to become key players.

Will be a good game, but like I say if the #8 team in the FCS loses here it won't bode well when they play better teams down the road.

BTW: Mayes is a junior as is Zach Bednarczyk @ Nova. McCloskey choose Villanova over FBS schools not Lehigh & it wasn't because he was concerned about Mayes.

Gangtackle11
June 13th, 2017, 10:57 PM
I'll give you your thread back, but the evidence says to me that we have a better than average chance based on recent history:

Villanova 26 Lehigh 21
Villanova 31 Lafayette 14

Villanova 14 Fordham 7

Villanova 50 Fordham 6

Fordham 27 Villanova 24

Villanova 28 Fordham 13

Villanova 35 Lehigh 0

Villanova 38 Lehigh 17
Villanova 38 Holy Cross 28

Villanova 33 Lehigh 14
Villanova 55 Colgate 28

Villanova 30 Lehigh 20

Lehigh 31 Villanova 28

13 PL games since Lehigh last beat Villanova. Villanova is 11-2 in those games. 2 FGs away from possibly undefeated.

So what there tells you 700+ SAT Math guys that I'm not in bounds for thinking a loss to Lehigh would be a disappointment??

The record speaks for itself. Certainly you can win, but history says a Villanova fan should be disappointed if you do. xpeacex

Gater
June 13th, 2017, 11:09 PM
PL just needs to start winning some games. Simple as that.

Think this year will be an interesting one for the league. First year of scholarships are gone. Feel like there should be more depth all around and guys used to playing at a higher level in practice.

As for Colgate, last year's team was better statistically than the team that won two playoff games the year before. Had the #1 rush defense in FCS and lead every game at half (except Syracuse) and finished 5-5. Lost by a TD at Richmond while completing 5-22 passes for 57 yards and three picks. Gave up a 21 point lead to Cornell in the 4th. On paper, offense was better, defense was better, kicking was better, punting was better. Players were the best Colgate has had in a long time. But the team couldn't pick up two yards when it needed to and became a big play team instead of the incredibly frustrating-to-opponents-squad of ground, pound, pick up the short fourth down, and hit the receiver left open for the touchgoal. Just a frustrating 10-game year that left a haze of opportunity lost.

Colgate graduated a ton of good players--more all league guys than Colgate teams that have won the league. What they do return is more speed than years past, a few QB's who will most likely complete a higher percentage of passes (while maybe not running as well/running the read option as well), and a healthy RB (Holland) who can pick up two yards when they need it.

Colgate got a little off script last year. Will be interesting to see what this team can do. A ton of untested guys but a high ceiling with a DL that should pressure the passer, better DB's and a potentially better balanced O. That being said, third or fourth feels like a logical place to put them to start the season. Team opens with Cal Poly, Richmond, Buffalo, and Furman. Will learn a lot about them early on. Should be fun.

Lehigh'98
June 14th, 2017, 08:27 AM

Think this year will be an interesting one for the league. First year of scholarships are gone. Feel like there should be more depth all around and guys used to playing at a higher level in practice.

As for Colgate, last year's team was better statistically than the team that won two playoff games the year before. Had the #1 rush defense in FCS and lead every game at half (except Syracuse) and finished 5-5. Lost by a TD at Richmond while completing 5-22 passes for 57 yards and three picks. Gave up a 21 point lead to Cornell in the 4th. On paper, offense was better, defense was better, kicking was better, punting was better. Players were the best Colgate has had in a long time. But the team couldn't pick up two yards when it needed to and became a big play team instead of the incredibly frustrating-to-opponents-squad of ground, pound, pick up the short fourth down, and hit the receiver left open for the touchgoal. Just a frustrating 10-game year that left a haze of opportunity lost.

Colgate graduated a ton of good players--more all league guys than Colgate teams that have won the league. What they do return is more speed than years past, a few QB's who will most likely complete a higher percentage of passes (while maybe not running as well/running the read option as well), and a healthy RB (Holland) who can pick up two yards when they need it.

Colgate got a little off script last year. Will be interesting to see what this team can do. A ton of untested guys but a high ceiling with a DL that should pressure the passer, better DB's and a potentially better balanced O. That being said, third or fourth feels like a logical place to put them to start the season. Team opens with Cal Poly, Richmond, Buffalo, and Furman. Will learn a lot about them early on. Should be fun.

Exactly. Start winning games against the CAA or in the playoffs or these are ridiculous arguments to even have. When Lehigh is good, they do ok against the CAA, but last years playoff game set us back quite a bit getting any type of national respect. Scheduling teams like Wagner instead of UNH, Delaware or W&M makes it even worse. I'd rather be a war torn 8-3 going into the playoffs than 10-1 against a soft schedule not knowing what it takes to win against better teams.

Gangtackle11
June 14th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Lehigh is 3-12 (1-5 vs. Villanova) vs. CAA teams starting with & including their win over Villanova in 2006. The defense rests your honor.

See you at Goodman on 9/2. Enjoy your summer!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 14th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Lehigh is 3-12 (1-5 vs. Villanova) vs. CAA teams starting with & including their win over Villanova in 2006. The defense rests your honor.

See you at Goodman on 9/2. Enjoy your summer!!

I think there needs to be some context to that 3-12. The only 5 teams that are included in that list are UNH, Delaware, JMU, Villanova and 1 playoff win over the CAA champ Towson. Villanova was clearly better than Lehigh in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (Lehigh 3 had straight losing seasons). Villanova was also loaded in 2010 (defending national champs) and were clearly better. Likewise with UNH in 2010. Then in the 2010 playoffs Lehgh loses to loaded and eventual national runner-up Delaware after beating UNI. Top 25 2011 Lehigh loses an OT heartbreaker to Top 15 UNH then beats the CAA champ in the playoffs. 2013 Top 25 Lehigh beats a top 25 UNH. 2014 they lose a heartbreaker to JMU before traveling to play eventual #1 seed UNH which pummels them. Lehigh finished that year 3-8 (worst record since 1992).

The only disappointing game against the CAA during that whole time was last year's playoff performance against UNH. Lehigh entered that game as the FAVORITE. Of all the loses that's the one that stands out the most. Lehigh simply did not have many chances to win in those games you mentioned because they ran into much better teams. However, this year is much like 2011 in terms of what Lehigh has coming back and the preseason expectations.

Either way Temple will embarrass the kitties in week 2. I think there's a great chance 'Nova starts the season 0-2....

Gangtackle11
June 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I think there needs to be some context to that 3-12. The only 5 teams that are included in that list are UNH, Delaware, JMU, Villanova and 1 playoff win over the CAA champ Towson. Villanova was clearly better than Lehigh in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (Lehigh 3 had straight losing seasons). Villanova was also loaded in 2010 (defending national champs) and were clearly better. Likewise with UNH in 2010. Then in the 2010 playoffs Lehgh loses to loaded and eventual national runner-up Delaware after beating UNI. Top 25 2011 Lehigh loses an OT heartbreaker to Top 15 UNH then beats the CAA champ in the playoffs. 2013 Top 25 Lehigh beats a top 25 UNH. 2014 they lose a heartbreaker to JMU before traveling to play eventual #1 seed UNH which pummels them. Lehigh finished that year 3-8 (worst record since 1992).

The only disappointing game against the CAA during that whole time was last year's playoff performance against UNH. Lehigh entered that game as the FAVORITE. Of all the loses that's the one that stands out the most. Lehigh simply did not have many chances to win in those games you mentioned because they ran into much better teams. However, this year is much like 2011 in terms of what Lehigh has coming back and the preseason expectations.

Either way Temple will embarrass the kitties in week 2. I think there's a great chance 'Nova starts the season 0-2....

You are certainly untitled to your position. Facts don't support your argument, but that's ok you are a fan & not the 1st to ignore them.

Like I said all along losing to Lehigh will be disappointing to a top 10 team that has several tough CAA teams to play.

Temple beating Villanova is expected, but if it makes you feel better making the statement so be it. Given your recent result vs. Monmouth it may be the Mountain Hawks staring at an 0-2 gun barrel!! xpeacex

RichH2
June 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Exactly. Start winning games against the CAA or in the playoffs or these are ridiculous arguments to even have. When Lehigh is good, they do ok against the CAA, but last years playoff game set us back quite a bit getting any type of national respect. Scheduling teams like Wagner instead of UNH, Delaware or W&M makes it even worse. I'd rather be a war torn 8-3 going into the playoffs than 10-1 against a soft schedule not knowing what it takes to win against better teams.

As we know. 10-1 vs a soft schedule pretty much a sure no vote for an at large for Lehigh. Been there done that dont need to repeat it.

van
June 14th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Like I said all along losing to Lehigh will be disappointing to a top 10 team that has several tough CAA teams to play.

xpeacex

I see why Gang would be disappointed with a Lehigh win in week 1, given pre-season expectations. However, the Lehigh program is definitely on an up swing and if the D improves as many of us fans expect, this team will be quite capable. No disrespect to Nova, who most will consider to be the favorite in this game, but my expectation is that the game is a toss up and being at home anything but a win will be disappointing to me.

RichH2
June 14th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I see why Gang would be disappointed with a Lehigh win in week 1, given pre-season expectations. However, the Lehigh program is definitely on an up swing and if the D improves as many of us fans expect, this team will be quite capable. No disrespect to Nova, who most will consider to be the favorite in this game, but my expectation is that the game is a toss up and being at home anything but a win will be disappointing to me.

+1

Doc QB
June 14th, 2017, 11:57 AM

This is dead on balls accurate, '98. I will never look at scholarships as a way to beat the Ivies. I will hope it positions us to compete nationally and especially against the local CAA teams we are fortunate enough to schedule. It hasn't happened yet, and our UNH game last year did set us back; they came out hungry at home, didn't want another Colgate like game, and made LU pay on the playoff stage. So, I don't want to see analysis of why our 3-12 record against them isn't so bad. They are still 12 losses. I want to compete and win against the likes of Nova and UNH way more than Yale or Harvard. It is a respect we have not earned yet, (on this board and otherwise), and time will tell if we do.

RichH2
June 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM
This is dead on balls accurate, '98. I will never look at scholarships as a way to beat the Ivies. I will hope it positions us to compete nationally and especially against the local CAA teams we are fortunate enough to schedule. It hasn't happened yet, and our UNH game last year did set us back; they came out hungry at home, didn't want another Colgate like game, and made LU pay on the playoff stage. So, I don't want to see analysis of why our 3-12 record against them isn't so bad. They are still 12 losses. I want to compete and win against the likes of Nova and UNH way more than Yale or Harvard. It is a respect we have not earned yet, (on this board and otherwise), and time will tell if we do.
+1
The difference in recruiting now is substantially different than pre schollie era. Then the Ivies were our major competition. Now it is CAA, Service academies and the MAC. We are not yet at a consistent level with the top 4-5 of the CAA and we may not be until PL changes our red shirt rules. Last UNH game an anomaly in the schollie era. With neither QB healthy our O could not carry our D as it had all season. A true butt whupping.
We come into this year with comparable talent but with a number of open issues. New OC and DC. An experienced QB but with a different skill set than Nick who set the tone last year. A new D scheme and no returning starters at LB. Will any or all of these be answered in game 1? Hell sure hope so :)
All that said, I expect a close game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 14th, 2017, 04:30 PM

My point is Lehigh was also losing to the Ivy League during that time as well. When Lehigh is good they don't lose to the IL like 'Nova. Lehigh simply didn't have the horses to compete with the best of the best from 2006 until 2010/11 then again in '14 and '15. If Lehigh was playing Towson, URI, W&M, Elon, Delaware (recently), UMass when they started to fall off before their exodus, Albany and SBU their record would be a little better. Instead they were playing playoff level CAA teams as a non-playoff caliber PL team. 2010 'Nova and 2014 UNH were beastly teams. You're not going to win those games. That's just reality. A 3-12 record is going to be the end result. My belief is Lehigh and Fordham are at the level the PL was from '98-'05 when the league was winning quite a few games against the then A10. And when they weren't they giving them a helluva battle.

If people want to draw all the conclusions from the Lehigh-UNH game that's fine. But that game was the equal of Lehigh-Fordham. No way in hell was Lehigh that much better than Fordham. The Rams have a great chance to beat Lehigh this year in the Bronx. Sometimes crazy ***** happens. Just like JMU isn't 100 points better than SHSU despite how much crap SHSU gets. Sometimes it's really not your day. Not having a healthy QB started the snowball against UNH. I'd love for Lehigh to get the Wildcats at Goodman in early December.

Gangtackle11
June 14th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I'd love for Lehigh to get the Wildcats at Goodman in early December.

Be careful what you ask for. I'd try to beat them in the regular season 1st. Id tell your DC to put 10 in the box because it's going to be a long day most likely.

As as far as home game, NCAA isn't going to give u a game because of no lights & rarely does Patsy champ play at home anyway.

citdog
June 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Be careful what you ask for. I'd try to beat them in the regular season 1st. Id tell your DC to put 10 in the box because it's going to a long day.

As as far as home game, NCAA isn't going to give u a game because of no lights & rarely does Patsy champ play at home anyway.

HATER! TROLL! LOSER!

xlolx

Go...gate
June 14th, 2017, 09:56 PM

Take it easy, Go Lehigh TU owl. Citdog is just pulling your chain. He's a good guy.

citdog
June 14th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Take it easy, Go Lehigh TU owl. Citdog is just pulling your chain. He's a good guy.

It's all about the lulz. Nothing personal.

BisonTru
June 14th, 2017, 10:22 PM
It's all about the lulz. Nothing personal.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Qo22vMEhtVc7S/giphy.gif

RichH2
June 15th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Be careful what you ask for. I'd try to beat them in the regular season 1st. Id tell your DC to put 10 in the box because it's going to be a long day most likely.

Well we now run a 4-2 under Coach Sutyak. Partly because we lost all our starting LBs. Partly because for the 1st time in recent memory we actually now have depth on the DL and honest to goodness size. Partly because we couldnt stop Nova or Monmouth run games last year. :)
Hopefully we'll be a bit better at it this time around.

Gangtackle11
June 15th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Well we now run a 4-2 under Coach Sutyak. Partly because we lost all our starting LBs. Partly because for the 1st time in recent memory we actually now have depth on the DL and honest to goodness size. Partly because we couldnt stop Nova or Monmouth run games last year. :)
Hopefully we'll be a bit better at it this time around.

Still only have 6 in the box & your safeties didn't look like they didnt liked to play run support last season. Watch the video. Lots of big holes & bad tackling in the secondary.

Im sure it will be a good game, but A Villanova loss will be a bad one for playoff hopes with the CAA schedule ahead.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2017, 10:14 PM
I believe that it will be a mistake to take Lehigh lightly this year. They are poised to have a fine season and are certainly the class of the PL. And before anyone puts too much emphasis on the LU-UNH playoff game, let's remember that playoff games can go that way sometimes. More often than not, Lehigh has distinguished itself in the play-offs. As Casey Stengel used to say, "you could look it up".

Lehigh'98
June 16th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I believe that it will be a mistake to take Lehigh lightly this year. They are poised to have a fine season and are certainly the class of the PL. And before anyone puts too much emphasis on the LU-UNH playoff game, let's remember that playoff games can go that way sometimes. More often than not, Lehigh has distinguished itself in the play-offs. As Casey Stengel used to say, "you could look it up".

I'm sure we will have our problems as usual up in Hamilton.

van
June 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I'm sure we will have our problems as usual up in Hamilton.

game is early again this year, at least we don't have to deal with frozen tundra!

CFBfan
June 16th, 2017, 01:16 PM

All of Biddles recruits are now graduated (all with rings) now Hunt has "his guys" and not too many of them have much playing time. Hunt has 1 good/great year in the 3 years he's been there and that 1 up year was with Biddle's boys.....look for a bit of a dry spell for the raiders

Go...gate
June 16th, 2017, 09:45 PM
All of Biddles recruits are now graduated (all with rings) now Hunt has "his guys" and not too many of them have much playing time. Hunt has 1 good/great year in the 3 years he's been there and that 1 up year was with Biddle's boys.....look for a bit of a dry spell for the Red Raiders

I think you are correct. With a tough schedule, Colgate could finish anywhere from 3-8 to 7-4.

Go...gate
June 16th, 2017, 09:47 PM
Colgate - Lehigh is almost always a competitive, entertaining game.

citdog
June 16th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Colgate - Lehigh is almost always a competitive, entertaining game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Bill
June 16th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Since the inception of the I-AA playoffs:

Citadel – 5 appearances, 2-5 record
Colgate – 10 appearances, 6-10 record
Lehigh – 10 appearances, 6-10 record

Colgate and Lehigh may play in a patsy conference...but a playoff win is a playoff win. 6 of those total wins (3 for each school) are against CAA teams.

citdog
June 16th, 2017, 10:52 PM
Since the inception of the I-AA playoffs:

Citadel – 5 appearances, 2-5 record
Colgate – 10 appearances, 6-10 record
Lehigh – 10 appearances, 6-10 record

Colgate and Lehigh may play in a patsy conference...but a playoff win is a playoff win. 6 of those total wins (3 for each school) are against CAA teams.

Must be nice to not have to play a real team until Thanksgiving...

Bill
June 16th, 2017, 11:13 PM

That's why we always serve turkey!:)

Go...gate
June 17th, 2017, 01:12 AM

Kinda like what you guys did last season. How did things go after that 10-0 start?

And I might add that the Bulldogs' schedule looks pretty much the same this year.

citdog
June 17th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Kinda like what you guys did last season. How did things go after that 10-0 start?

And I might add that the Bulldogs' schedule looks pretty much the same this year.

We played 3 other teams from our OWN conference who made the playoffs. How many did y'all play?

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2017, 06:46 AM

Can't speak to his Bucknell time, but Bowes mentored under Bob Shoop and Scott Boone at W&M and we hated to see him go.

CFBfan
June 17th, 2017, 09:07 AM

hmm, you haven't looked at colgates early schedule have you....oh, that's right you went to the citadel so therefore you can't read...sorry!!!

Fordham
June 17th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Can't speak to his Bucknell time, but Bowes mentored under Bob Shoop and Scott Boone at W&M and we hated to see him go.

Good stuff! Thanks

citdog
June 17th, 2017, 02:53 PM
hmm, you haven't looked at colgates early schedule have you....oh, that's right you went to the citadel so therefore you can't read...sorry!!!

Colgate has the only decent schedule in the patsy. When will the others step up? If Colgate beats furman it earns them everlasting gratitude.

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Colgate has the only decent schedule in the patsy. When will the others step up? If Colgate beats Furman it earns them everlasting gratitude.

Count me as someone who would like to see Georgetown play a much, much better schedule, but the game of low expectations takes hold at Georgetown. A former coach at Georgetown was offered a guarantee to play at North Dakota State and turned it down, saying another big loss wasn't worth the payday. Instead, he scheduled that open date against a 1-6 Sacred Heart team, with no guarantee, and lost by two touchdowns.

Poor scheduling does wonders for interest in a sport.

ngineer
June 17th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Still only have 6 in the box & your safeties didn't look like they didnt liked to play run support last season. Watch the video. Lots of big holes & bad tackling in the secondary.

Im sure it will be a good game, but A Villanova loss will be a bad one for playoff hopes with the CAA schedule ahead.

That's what concerns me. Villanova has "more on the line" at Lehigh. With the CAA schedule, a loss to Lehigh really puts the onus on the Wildcats in making the playoffs. A loss by Lehigh, while being disappointing, is not as devastating. Though the 'closeness' of the game would also have some bearing. First games, regardless where played, can be problematic and many times teams who get whupped in early September are distinctly different by late October. Not saying Lehigh's games at Colgate and Fordham will be easy, but 'nova's road is more difficult. I expect Lehigh to be better this year than last.

citdog
June 17th, 2017, 07:13 PM
ANY loss to le high is a BAD loss.

ngineer
June 18th, 2017, 09:40 PM
ANY loss to le high is a BAD loss.

I've said this before over the years, I would love for us to get a game with you guys in Charleston. I thought it might get done when Kevin was there, but the 'pay day' games took priority. We should have a very solid team this year. Anyone taking us lightly will pay. Going up against "le high" better not be with a 'token' effort!

citdog
June 18th, 2017, 09:43 PM
TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!

RichH2
June 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!
Dry well today citdog? C'mon you can do better :)

centraljerseycat
June 19th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I'm looking forward to a great game at Goodman on Sept 2nd. This will certainly be one of Coen's better teams and I don't know what to expect from the Nova offense that couldn't get out of it's own way in the 4 losses last year. I hoping the new HC Mark Ferrante won't hesitate to change QB's if necessary. Not sold on the incumbent. But there seems to be more weapons than the past few seasons.

LUHawker
June 19th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I'm looking forward to a great game at Goodman on Sept 2nd. This will certainly be one of Coen's better teams and I don't know what to expect from the Nova offense that couldn't get out of it's own way in the 4 losses last year. I hoping the new HC Mark Ferrante won't hesitate to change QB's if necessary. Not sold on the incumbent. But there seems to be more weapons than the past few seasons.

Nova should be about 4 point favorites. While LU's QB, Mayes, has had good PT as a freshman and sophomore, this will be his first game as the installed starter. If this was being played as game #3, I'd call it a push, but game 1 uncertainties abound.

Gangtackle11
June 19th, 2017, 11:56 AM

Nova's offense was impotent against quality FCS & Pitt defenses, but mostly performed well in those that weren't except the 2 PL teams last season interestingly enough. Lehigh's defense did a decent job keeping Nova off the board, but got shredded for 396 yards on the ground last season that allowed the Cats to escape with a 26-21 win.

I like the fact we are getting Lehigh before our FBS game. Playing in front of 51k at Pitt then coming home to 7k at Nova contributed to their listless 1st half play. It was 14-6 Lehigh at half. Nova pounded them into submission and outscored the Mt. Hawks 20-7 in the second half.

I think unless Lehigh has some unknown tackling machines they will have to overcome a run downhill Nova offense that has a lot of talent in the backfield that Lehigh didn't see last season.

I just don't see how Lehigh doesn't wear down in this game unless Nova loses the turnover margin significantly. Mayes isn't mobile like Nick and I think Nova will contain Lehigh's offense enough to get a low double digit win.

Gangtackle11
June 19th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Nova should be about 4 point favorites. While LU's QB, Mayes, has had good PT as a freshman and sophomore, this will be his first game as the installed starter. If this was being played as game #3, I'd call it a push, but game 1 uncertainties abound.

I'll give Lehigh fans 4 points all day. Line will be 6-8 points in Nova's favor.

Lehigh'98
June 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Another factor will be coaching in this game. Coen, since he lost some key coaches after 2012/13, hasn't done well outside the PL/Ivy in getting big wins. Ferrante is a bit of an unknown at Nova. Lehigh absolutely has to come up with some adjustments to stop the run and this is mainly on the coaches. I'd be doing anything I could to force them to beat me through the air. Nova lost some pretty good DL to graduation as well, we will see if they decide to blitz more or sit back against Mayes.

Gangtackle11
June 19th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Another factor will be coaching in this game. Coen, since he lost some key coaches after 2012/13, hasn't done well outside the PL/Ivy in getting big wins. Ferrante is a bit of an unknown at Nova. Lehigh absolutely has to come up with some adjustments to stop the run and this is mainly on the coaches. I'd be doing anything I could to force them to beat me through the air. Nova lost some pretty good DL to graduation as well, we will see if they decide to blitz more or sit back against Mayes.

Biggest question mark on Nova is DL. Also DC Of FCS #1 defense left for UConn. Lost another defensive assistant to Elon as DC. Defensive back 8 are solid. Only new player is sophomore LB who had big game at Pitt & fell back to Special teams when injured senior returned. They have as good of back 8 as anyone. DL will be interesting.

I think they will come after Mayes until he proves he can beat them with his feet or quick slants.

Ferrante is a continuation of Talley more than likely in style of Nova play at a minimum.

RichH2
June 19th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Biggest question mark on Nova is DL. Also DC Of FCS #1 defense left for UConn. Lost another defensive assistant to Elon as DC. Defensive back 8 are solid. Only new player is sophomore LB who had big game at Pitt & fell back to Special teams when injured senior returned. They have as good of back 8 as anyone. DL will be interesting.

I think they will come after Mayes until he proves he can beat them with his feet or quick slants.

Ferrante is a continuation of Talley more than likely in style of Nova play at a minimum.

Likely IMO that Nova will try to blitz. LU 's OL should hold up. Interesting to see how Nova 2ndary will fare with single coverage.

ngineer
June 19th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Lehigh will have a seasoned secondary, so I suspect the DC to focus on stopping the running game first. Some good athletes in the secondary that should allow more man defense and free up some controlled blitzes and stunts to shut down the run and pressure the qb. I'd give 'nova a 3-4 point edge at this point. Much to be learned in August.

- - - Updated - - -

TOUCHDOWN NEW HAMPSHIRE!

Typically living in the past, Citty. (;-)

LUHawker
June 19th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Lehigh's defense did a decent job keeping Nova off the board, but got shredded for 396 yards on the ground last season that allowed the Cats to escape with a 26-21 win.

I like the fact we are getting Lehigh before our FBS game. Playing in front of 51k at Pitt then coming home to 7k at Nova contributed to their listless 1st half play. It was 14-6 Lehigh at half. Nova pounded them into submission and outscored the Mt. Hawks 20-7 in the second half.

Yes, I was there - thanks for the reminder. Still, if Shafnisky had learned to throw a deep ball a game earlier, Lehigh wins by 10. He missed two wide-open TDs (one, iirc, was intercepted and we got 0 points). It's part of the game, but at this level, those should be TDs.

LU run defense has been terrible against decent run teams (see VU, UNH), so I suspect you're right that we'll see a steady run diet.

RichH2
June 19th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Strange no mention yet of the Lehigh run game. Dom, Micco and Nana are formidable . LU not a one trick pony on O. Nova can decide to shut down air game by blitz and doubling WRs. So Bragalone will have a field day. Or they could single WRs and try to control LOS and pressure Mayes. Risky.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 19th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Strange no mention yet of the Lehigh run game. Dom, Micco and Nana are formidable . LU not a one trick pony on O. Nova can decide to shut down air game by blitz and doubling WRs. So Bragalone will have a field day. Or they could single WRs and try to control LOS and pressure Mayes. Risky.

The strength of Lehigh's offense very well might be the OL. They're big and experienced. I'm not sure the combined starts the unit has but it's A LOT....

The 'Nova game comes down to the LU defense. If they're more physical and can contain the run they'll win. If they don't they'll lose. Lehigh will get 24-30 points this year against a 'Nova D that took some serious graduation hits.

RichH2
June 19th, 2017, 05:41 PM
The strength of Lehigh's offense very well might be the OL. They're big and experienced. I'm not sure the combined starts the unit has but it's A LOT....

The 'Nova game comes down to the LU defense. If they're more physical and can contain the run they'll win. If they don't they'll lose. Lehigh will get 24-30 points this year against a 'Nova D that took some serious graduation hits.

D will be unkown factor going into Nova. All new LBs in a new system. Moreover, we dont know how Sutyak will use the 4-2-5. He has kept a Rover coach.So guess we will have a R at times. Moreover, mention has been made of using a Flex with a DE that can drop into coverage or blitz.
We have depth and experience at CB and S and on the DL. D was decent by the end of last season. This year ? Hopeful that Sutyak can build a successful unit.

Gangtackle11
June 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM

You could get 24-30, but in the end I think Nova wears you down. The defense lost 2 marquee players and another solid DE. The line has its starters back @ nose. The question marks are the DEs where Nova will most likely start a RS So. & a So. The LB replacing Calitro is a RS soph. & had a big game against Pitt & is quite capable for PL level of play. (I believe he held a Lehigh offer btw.)

I really just think you wont be able to stop Nova's run game which also features a QB with wheels. They will complete short passes. Their backs are very talented and don't take a backseat to Lehigh's Dom & company.

It's pretty simple. Lehigh doesn't stop Nova's solid run game it's going to be a game of keep away for you guys. History says we're better maybe not a lot better, but you can't avoid the facts. 1-5 in the Coen era vs. The Cats.

Nova has more athletes on the field than Lehigh. Not a kid on this team with a Lehigh offer that choose the Mt. Hawks over Nova.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 19th, 2017, 10:00 PM
You could get 24-30, but in the end I think Nova wears you down. The defense lost 2 marquee players and another solid DE. The line has its starters back @ nose. The question marks are the DEs where Nova will most likely start a RS So. & a So. The LB replacing Calitro is a RS soph. & had a big game against Pitt & is quite capable for PL level of play. (I believe he held a Lehigh offer btw.)

I really just think you wont be able to stop Nova's run game which also features a QB with wheels. They will complete short passes. Their backs are very talented and don't take a backseat to Lehigh's Dom & company.

It's pretty simple. Lehigh doesn't stop Nova's solid run game it's going to be a game of keep away for you guys. History says we're better maybe not a lot better, but you can't avoid the facts. 1-5 in the Coen era vs. The Cats.

Nova has more athletes on the field than Lehigh. Not a kid on this team with a Lehigh offer that choose the Mt. Hawks over Nova.

I don't get the 'Nova has more athletes than Lehigh at this point. Lehigh has better offensive players than 'Nova. I think every unbiased "expert" would suggest that. They have one of the best RB's in FCS (Ranked 8th by Haley and has been a monster his whole football career) and 2 of the top WR's in FCS (will be ranked) along with a veteran and proven OL and an experienced QB. I don't care if they were offered by 'Nova or not. That's completely irrelevant as to how good they are. Lehigh's offense will flat out be the best unit on the field. It's not Lehigh people telling you how good this offense will be it's other media outlets. It's going to be good. With that said, I think 'Nova is good enough to keep think 14-17 points below their average for the year.

I don't are what Coen's record is against 'Nova. This is the first time in the series the game is basically even money. Plus, Talley isn't on the sideline anymore so 0-0 is no better than 1-5 at this point.

I think you dislike Lehigh more than I dislike 'Nova. I certainly respect 'Nova more than you respect Lehigh. Comments like "Not a kid on this team with a Lehigh offer that chooses Mt Hawks over 'Nova" is flat out wrong. You want that to be true to fulfill some weird superiority. Hell Temple might lose a recruit to Villanova or a PL school.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 19th, 2017, 10:04 PM
D will be unkown factor going into Nova. All new LBs in a new system. Moreover, we dont know how Sutyak will use the 4-2-5. He has kept a Rover coach.So guess we will have a R at times. Moreover, mention has been made of using a Flex with a DE that can drop into coverage or blitz.
We have depth and experience at CB and S and on the DL. D was decent by the end of last season. This year ? Hopeful that Sutyak can build a successful unit.

D was aided by playing some terrible offenses (Buknell, Lafayette and Holy Cross) down the stretch. UNH embarrassed them through the air and the via the run. Overall it was better than '15 and '14 but that still doesn't make it "good". The depth and size along the DL and finally an experience secondary gives me hope. Outside of the Caslow the LB's were nothing to write home about so I think fresh faces could be a good thing.

RichH2
June 19th, 2017, 10:20 PM
D was aided by playing some terrible offenses (Buknell, Lafayette and Holy Cross) down the stretch. UNH embarrassed them through the air and the via the run. Overall it was better than '15 and '14 but that still doesn't make it "good". The depth and size along the DL and finally an experience secondary gives me hope. Outside of the Caslow the LB's were nothing to write home about so I think fresh faces could be a good thing.

Cant disregard Lambert. Actually think LB group was good. Real issue for me was Botts played a conservative 3-3-5 . Way too much read and react instead of aggression.
He is right tho about 2ndary tackling in that game. R and CBs got blown back. Our weakness on the edge didnt end until LL came back.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2017, 02:43 AM

Personally, I'm utterly convinced we have no chance. We'll be lucky to have a point against you, and our D line will no doubt swoon in VU' s mighty presence. Hope we can limit you guys to 30 points.

citdog
June 20th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Personally, I'm utterly convinced we have no chance. We'll be lucky to have a point against you, and our D line will no doubt swoon in VU' s mighty presence. Hope we can limit you guys to 30 points.

30pts perhaps in the first half. MAYBE

Gangtackle11
June 20th, 2017, 05:21 AM
I don't get the 'Nova has more athletes than Lehigh at this point. Lehigh has better offensive players than 'Nova. I think every unbiased "expert" would suggest that. They have one of the best RB's in FCS (Ranked 8th by Haley and has been a monster his whole football career) and 2 of the top WR's in FCS (will be ranked) along with a veteran and proven OL and an experienced QB. I don't care if they were offered by 'Nova or not. That's completely irrelevant as to how good they are. Lehigh's offense will flat out be the best unit on the field. It's not Lehigh people telling you how good this offense will be it's other media outlets. It's going to be good. With that said, I think 'Nova is good enough to keep think 14-17 points below their average for the year.

I don't are what Coen's record is against 'Nova. This is the first time in the series the game is basically even money. Plus, Talley isn't on the sideline anymore so 0-0 is no better than 1-5 at this point.

I think you dislike Lehigh more than I dislike 'Nova. I certainly respect 'Nova more than you respect Lehigh. Comments like "Not a kid on this team with a Lehigh offer that chooses Mt Hawks over 'Nova" is flat out wrong. You want that to be true to fulfill some weird superiority. Hell Temple might lose a recruit to Villanova or a PL school.

Sorry I don't see it. Just because some writer ranks your player as a top player doesn't mean jack. They base it on stats and don't take in account the level of play. I'm sure our RBs would have more hype if they played a majority of the game or played the PL schedule in full. Aaron Forbes doesn't get the hype of Bragalone, but he's every bit the player he is.

I actually root for Lehigh outside of playing Villanova. No hate. Just keeping some of you PL guys realistic about your level of competition. Position by position the top CAA teams have more & better athletes on the field than Lehigh. You want to say you can win consistently against some of our lesser teams then I get it, but the record says you guys don't beat the better teams all that often. Sure you get a nice couple of upsets in FCS playoffs by Colgate every once in awhile, but they are few and far between.

More common that you get blown out at JMU a couple years ago, blown out at UNH in playoffs. It was a listless if not an embarrassing effort by Nova last season, but they eventually pounded and I mean pounded out a win. Nova has a bad problem of playing down to its competition, but that said they win 80% of the time playing the best of the PL. Id say thats about right. Lehigh certainly can win that game. It's about a 20% chance given the track record.

I also think Nova loses that game it will show them to be a fraud top 10 team & probably will be a indication of a mediocre season to come. We play several better teams than Lehigh on our schedule & a loss to what I believe is an equally overrated team at Goodman won't pass the smell test.

As for recruiting, show me the Lehigh player that held a Villanova offer & went to Lehigh on your roster.....Im still waiting....

PS: Temple loses kids to us & Lehigh because of academics. They also have a reputation of offering more kids than they have schollies in recent years. I know of a few situations where a kid wanted to accept their offer & were told to wait as they were waiting on another offer kid to accept. A Temple offer isn't always an offer in recent seasons.

citdog
June 20th, 2017, 05:29 AM

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/quint/SNmadnesscrosses_big.jpg

PAllen
June 20th, 2017, 08:06 AM
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/quint/SNmadnesscrosses_big.jpg

Is that what you looked like after your first two nights away at college citdog?

RichH2
June 20th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Sorry I don't see it. Just because some writer ranks your player as a top player doesn't mean jack. They base it on stats and don't take in account the level of play. I'm sure our RBs would have more hype if they played a majority of the game or played the PL schedule in full. Aaron Forbes doesn't get the hype of Bragalone, but he's every bit the player he is.

I actually root for Lehigh outside of playing Villanova. No hate. Just keeping some of you PL guys realistic about your level of competition. Position by position the top CAA teams have more & better athletes on the field than Lehigh. You want to say you can win consistently against some of our lesser teams then I get it, but the record says you guys don't beat the better teams all that often. Sure you get a nice couple of upsets in FCS playoffs by Colgate every once in awhile, but they are few and far between.

More common that you get blown out at JMU a couple years ago, blown out at UNH in playoffs. It was a listless if not an embarrassing effort by Nova last season, but they eventually pounded and I mean pounded out a win. Nova has a bad problem of playing down to its competition, but that said they win 80% of the time playing the best of the PL. Id say thats about right. Lehigh certainly can win that game. It's about a 20% chance given the track record.

I also think Nova loses that game it will show them to be a fraud top 10 team & probably will be a indication of a mediocre season to come. We play several better teams than Lehigh on our schedule & a loss to what I believe is an equally overrated team at Goodman won't pass the smell test.

As for recruiting, show me the Lehigh player that held a Villanova offer & went to Lehigh on your roster.....Im still waiting....

PS: Temple loses kids to us & Lehigh because of academics. They also have a reputation of offering more kids than they have schollies in recent years. I know of a few situations where a kid wanted to accept their offer & were told to wait as they were waiting on another offer kid to accept. A Temple offer isn't always an offer in recent seasons.

Lehigh and Nova have had surprisingly few H2Hs in our schollie years. Looking back to common prospects , the majority went to FBS teams. A few to Ivies. Couldn't find one LU got. Not particularly relevant overall but nice ego boost for Nova fans. Our most common H2Hs are with UNH and W&M in CAA; Service Acafemies and MAC. Most common FCS: PSU, Pitt, the FIU FAU combo and Cuse.
Your point about depth vs top CAA is well taken. PL never will until it eases redshirt rules and raises schollie cap. Simply a fact of life for us now.
Owl is correct about LU O. It is markedly better position to position than Nova. This does not demean Nova as Lehigh looks to be an excellent FCS offense. The matchup rather meaningless as the real issue is how well do our Ds do vs each other.

PAllen
June 20th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Lehigh and Nova have had surprisingly few H2Hs in our schollie years. Looking back to common prospects , the majority went to FBS teams. A few to Ivies. Couldn't find one LU got. Not particularly relevant overall but nice ego boost for Nova fans. Our most common H2Hs are with UNH and W&M in CAA; Service Acafemies and MAC. Most common FCS: PSU, Pitt, the FIU FAU combo and Cuse.
Your point about depth vs top CAA is well taken. PL never will until it eases redshirt rules and raises schollie cap. Simply a fact of life for us now.
Owl is correct about LU O. It is markedly better position to position than Nova. This does not demean Nova as Lehigh looks to be an excellent FCS offense. The matchup rather meaningless as the real issue is how well do our Ds do vs each other.

And my 5 year old has tackled better than much of our defenses over the last few years.

RichH2
June 20th, 2017, 09:59 AM
And my 5 year old has tackled better than much of our defenses over the last few years.

No doubt. 2ndary improved somewhat over last season but injuries didnt help. Most tackling issues were on the edge. Without Lambert we playes a series of CBs out there who got run over repeatedly. All that said, tackling must get better back there. Way to often DBs were in postion but couldnt finish tackles.

BucBisonAtLarge
June 20th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Is that what you looked like after your first two nights away at college citdog?

Nah.
This guy is wearin his pants.

Go...gate
June 20th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Maybe Patriot schools should play SoCon schools once or twice a year. Good measuring stick.

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 07:47 AM
Maybe Patriot schools should play SoCon schools once or twice a year. Good measuring stick.

Would be fun. For whatever reason it has been difficult to arrange H& Hs with SoCon squads. Neither really has much history playing each other. IIR Wofford last one LU had was with Wofford.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 21st, 2017, 07:59 AM
Would be fun. For whatever reason it has been difficult to arrange H& Hs with SoCon squads. Neither really has much history playing each other. IIR Wofford last one LU had was with Wofford.

Yup! They did play VMI in '05/'07 iirc but the Keydets were an independent at the time.

Lehigh, in general, plays pretty good OOC schedules but it's the same top CAA teams (UNH and 'Nova) over and over it seems. I liked the JMU H & H. I would like to see them back on the slate. Even if Lehigh needs to do a 2-1.

Just once I'd like to see Lehigh get an outside of the box home game. Getting a Midwest or west coast team in would not be a huge obstacle given Lehigh's proximity to NYC and Philly. Montana has come East, EWU is traveling to Fordham, Keeler (SHSU) has strong ties to Eastern PA, UNI can seek their revenge etc.

citdog
June 21st, 2017, 08:13 AM

We only play REAL teams. When we look for easy opening wins we have DII schools in our State who would win the patsy league to play.

PAllen
June 21st, 2017, 09:16 AM
We only play REAL teams. When we look for easy opening wins we have DII schools in our State who would win the patsy league to play.

Lehigh vs. the Socon = 2 wins, one loss. :)

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Yup! They did play VMI in '05/'07 iirc but the Keydets were an independent at the time.

Lehigh, in general, plays pretty good OOC schedules but it's the same top CAA teams (UNH and 'Nova) over and over it seems. I liked the JMU H & H. I would like to see them back on the slate. Even if Lehigh needs to do a 2-1.

Just once I'd like to see Lehigh get an outside of the box home game. Getting a Midwest or west coast team in would not be a huge obstacle given Lehigh's proximity to NYC and Philly. Montana has come East, EWU is traveling to Fordham, Keeler (SHSU) has strong ties to Eastern PA, UNI can seek their revenge etc.
Dont disagree but Andy has said he sees no sense in Western games just to amp up OOC. Think he said it was silly to go a 1000 miles just to lose.
Since we are recruiting much more in northern Ill and Mich think a game out there would be a boost as well as adding some spice to our OOC once in a while.

BucBisonAtLarge
June 21st, 2017, 12:22 PM
Bucknell just finished a 4 game series with VMI, bridging the Keydets' transition from the Big South to the Southern. The Bison won the first three. The last two went into overtime and all four were competitive. With so many FCS schools in the Northeast, nearer to Bucknell's recruiting and alumni base, it still makes sense to play OOC there. Nonetheless, as the Ivy tie-up has ended, Bucknell has opened up its scheduling. This year, as last, its five non-con opponents will come from five different conferences. The CAA replaced the Southern this year, swapping W&M for VMI.

PAllen
June 21st, 2017, 02:19 PM
Dont disagree but Andy has said he sees no sense in Western games just to amp up OOC. Think he said it was silly to go a 1000 miles just to lose.
Since we are recruiting much more in northern Ill and Mich think a game out there would be a boost as well as adding some spice to our OOC once in a while.

There's really no good reason for an FCS team to travel out of the region unless it's to a recruiting focal point. Heading west of Pennsylvania or south of Virginia for a regular game makes little sense unless you're making a concerted effort at recruiting the area. I could see stretching to the Carolinas if the cost isn't prohibitive, but our alumni bases are here, our fans are here, most of our recruits are here, and there are plenty of teams here to choose from as long as you don't hide from the good ones. UNI isn't going to bring enough fans to Goodman to pay for the return trip out there. Neither is anybody out west not named NDSU or Montana.

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 02:44 PM
There's really no good reason for an FCS team to travel out of the region unless it's to a recruiting focal point. Heading west of Pennsylvania or south of Virginia for a regular game makes little sense unless you're making a concerted effort at recruiting the area. I could see stretching to the Carolinas if the cost isn't prohibitive, but our alumni bases are here, our fans are here, most of our recruits are here, and there are plenty of teams here to choose from as long as you don't hide from the good ones. UNI isn't going to bring enough fans to Goodman to pay for the return trip out there. Neither is anybody out west not named NDSU or Montana.

Dont disagree as to West. Getting even a MAC in Northern Ill near to Mich 🆙 relevant since we recruit there. Same with Carolinas Fla and Ga. Find I agree with owl about FBS games. Dont want body bag games for a payday. That said bothers me that Joe after an initial push with Cuse and PSU has seemingly backed off any effort for FBS games. I would like to see every class get at least 1 or 2 in their 4 years.

kdinva
June 21st, 2017, 03:22 PM
Bucknell just finished a 4 game series with VMI, bridging the Keydets' transition from the Big South to the Southern. .

sorry to veer off..........I've heard that VMI and Bucknell have pencilled in another four game contract; 2022-2025...

PAllen
June 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM
Dont disagree as to West. Getting even a MAC in Northern Ill near to Mich  relevant since we recruit there. Same with Carolinas Fla and Ga. Find I agree with owl about FBS games. Dont want body bag games for a payday. That said bothers me that Joe after an initial push with Cuse and PSU has seemingly backed off any effort for FBS games. I would like to see every class get at least 1 or 2 in their 4 years.

FBS games are a different story. I've been very dissapointed in Joe's lack of grabbing FBS opponents. I'd like one every year. All of the teams in the region should be targeted, as well as winnable FBS opponents (MAC, AAC, Sunbelt) and ones with at least a modicum of academic reputation (Rice, Duke, UNC, Vandy, Purdue, Northwestern, Stanford, Cal, USAFA, SMU). We'll get killed 99/100 against some of those guys, but I don't mind rubbing elbows with them and the exposure would be good for the school. Purdue's actually an interesting one. Not only is it my other Alma Mater, but a big ten school that makes an effort to play at least one FCS school every year. Heck, if we'll travel to Drake for a game.

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM
sorry to veer off..........I've heard that VMI and Bucknell have pencilled in another four game contract; 2022-2025...

Heard same. Good for them.

van
June 21st, 2017, 04:06 PM

don't need to go 1000 miles, YSU is not much further than HC and gives exposure to the Valley, and some of the socon schools are much less than a 1000 miles, agree that a little variety in OOC would be nice especially since we have so many OOC games available

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 04:50 PM
don't need to go 1000 miles, YSU is not much further than HC and gives exposure to the Valley, and some of the socon schools are much less than a 1000 miles, agree that a little variety in OOC would be nice especially since we have so many OOC games available

Andy was responding to a question about playing MVFC teams NDSU UNI et al.
Dont see FBS every year. Every other or so enough for me More important is for the kids. They should have the opportunity a couple of times over their career.
Purdue ,eh :). Still pushing wrestlers are we? :) :)
Agree on MAC games ( not Buffalo). Mass YSU Akron woyld be great.

PAllen
June 21st, 2017, 05:43 PM
Dont see FBS every year. Every other or so enough for me More important is for the kids. They should have the opportunity a couple of times over their career.

Not sure Buffalo would play us again.

BucBisonAtLarge
June 21st, 2017, 06:44 PM
YSU seems to have its three closest FCS rivals-- St.Francis, Robert Morris and Duquesne-- on rotation. For Bucknell, YSU is as close as another non-con opponent this year, Sacred Heart. Northeast Ohio could be a more expansion of Bison recruiting, whatever the outcome of the game, and whether or not it might be a H&H.

Go...gate
June 21st, 2017, 08:14 PM

Always nice to receive an enlightened, open-minded response from you, citdog. What's gotten into you lately?

Go...gate
June 21st, 2017, 08:16 PM

Good to hear. Would be nice if Colgate and VMI could play. We have only played once and you guys won.

ngineer
June 21st, 2017, 08:39 PM

The main reason for the gap between PL teams and the CAA/MVL/SoCon is the redshirt rule and depth. The game at JMU two years ago had approximately 18 fifth year seniors. 22-23 year old guys playing against a lot of 18-19 year olds will show a real gap in size, speed and experience. I still like to 'play up' to those conferences, though. It is the challenge to oneself. I'd much rather play more from those three conferences than the NEC. Unfortunately, scheduling is always a problem due to many SoCon/CAA/MVL teams looking for payday games which limits the available dates.

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 08:51 PM
The main reason for the gap between PL teams and the CAA/MVL/SoCon is the redshirt rule and depth. The game at JMU two years ago had approximately 18 fifth year seniors. 22-23 year old guys playing against a lot of 18-19 year olds will show a real gap in size, speed and experience. I still like to 'play up' to those conferences, though. It is the challenge to oneself. I'd much rather play more from those three conferences than the NEC. Unfortunately, scheduling is always a problem due to many SoCon/CAA/MVL teams looking for payday games which limits the available dates.
Agree.

Time to update your list of PL Championships :)

ngineer
June 21st, 2017, 08:54 PM
Yesiree...

RichH2
June 21st, 2017, 09:35 PM

Yesiree...

YES!
Hope for another this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 21st, 2017, 11:01 PM

I just wish I could figure out what Lehigh's ultimate goal is in football. What does Sterrett, Coen etc believe the ultimate ceiling is for Lehigh football. I don't think scheduling the occasional outside of the box opponent should be frowned upon. Lehigh has gotten creative in the past (Idaho, St. Mary's, Wofford, Drake, UConn (FBS) in the past. There's no excuse not play a unique FBS team or travel west of the Mississippi once every 5 years or so.

I've been begging for YSU game for years (partly because I have ties to the area). Lehigh has recruited Northeast Ohio and Western PA heavily the last 6-7 years. A game out there makes a ton of sense. That's why Ohio, Kent State or Akron would be great FBS opponents imo. Lehigh can compete with those teams.

Gangtackle11
June 22nd, 2017, 04:59 AM
FBS games are a different story. I've been very dissapointed in Joe's lack of grabbing FBS opponents. I'd like one every year. All of the teams in the region should be targeted, as well as winnable FBS opponents (MAC, AAC, Sunbelt) and ones with at least a modicum of academic reputation (Rice, Duke, UNC, Vandy, Purdue, Northwestern, Stanford, Cal, USAFA, SMU). We'll get killed 99/100 against some of those guys, but I don't mind rubbing elbows with them and the exposure would be good for the school. Purdue's actually an interesting one. Not only is it my other Alma Mater, but a big ten school that makes an effort to play at least one FCS school every year. Heck, if we'll travel to Drake for a game.

Big 10 schools no longer schedule FCS opponents per Big 10 mandate.

PAllen
June 22nd, 2017, 06:45 AM
Big 10 schools no longer schedule FCS opponents per Big 10 mandate.

I knew about the mandate, but also knew that Purdue was one of the schools fighting against it. Just checked their schedules and it looks like they've effectively cleared the sub FBS games for the foreseeable future. Oh well, my Engineer Boilermaker matchup will have to be on the wrestling match. We'd have a much better shot there anyway.

van
June 22nd, 2017, 07:14 AM
We'd have a much better shot there anyway.

Bit of an understatement there, they are a big 10 wrestling bottom feeder.

PAllen
June 22nd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Bit of an understatement there, they are a big 10 wrestling bottom feeder.

Yeah, I didn't want to get too ahead of myself by saying we'd be prohibitive favorites, but a loss on the mat to them would definitely be disappointing.

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2017, 09:39 AM
Gate and Cross really stepping up with their scheduling. Both may have "overscheduled" themselves, but their opponents are much more interesting than the same teams Lehigh has lined up. Hell, even Bucknell's sched is more interesting. This is, for sure, partly why attendance at Goodman is trending down.

van
June 22nd, 2017, 12:33 PM
although I like diversity in our OOC, one nice thing about local NEC, CAA and Ivy teams is the ability for students to get to away games, I have great memories of away games at Rutgers, Penn and Delaware as an undergrad

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2017, 01:57 PM
although I like diversity in our OOC, one nice thing about local NEC, CAA and Ivy teams is the ability for students to get to away games, I have great memories of away games at Rutgers, Penn and Delaware as an undergrad

Not too many students go to away games, but I know if we had Delaware on the schedule, for example, that would get some more students and alums in the stands. I'd be ok with a 2 for 1 if we had to. I like Nova, but why not W&M, Richmond, Elon or a YSU to keep it interesting?

RichH2
June 22nd, 2017, 02:28 PM

Glad Penn back. Hate them so much:) Would like UD back. But, they only wamt to play home.

LUHawker
June 22nd, 2017, 02:29 PM
Would like UD back. But, they only wamt to play home.

Are you sure about that? UD did a 2-1 with Lafayette.

RichH2
June 22nd, 2017, 03:11 PM
Are you sure about that? UD did a 2-1 with Lafayette.

Upto a few yrs back UD offered only 1 offs at the Tub. Dont know more recent conversations if any. That said Joe has a long memory.

Fordham
June 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
Gate and Cross really stepping up with their scheduling. Both may have "overscheduled" themselves, but their opponents are much more interesting than the same teams Lehigh has lined up. Hell, even Bucknell's sched is more interesting. This is, for sure, partly why attendance at Goodman is trending down.
We play Army, Eastern washington and Yale. Very much on par with HC and Gate. Certainly tougher than Bucknell. Love what they're all doing and agree Lehigh needs to step it up. Just not sure why we were omitted from the reference

van
June 22nd, 2017, 03:51 PM
We play Army, Eastern washington and Yale. Very much on par with HC and Gate. Certainly tougher than Bucknell. Love what they're all doing and agree Lehigh needs to step it up. Just not sure why we were omitted from the reference

check the past 5 years of Gate schedule and the next 5 years of HC schedule, granted you're still doing better than Lehigh with FBS games

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2017, 05:44 PM

Lehigh's doing fine. (Almost) everybody is.

van
June 22nd, 2017, 06:00 PM

almost everybody? somebody is not doing fine? wonder who? hmmm?

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2017, 06:44 PM
almost everybody? somebody is not doing fine? wonder who? hmmm?

I think it's apparent that scholarships have opened doors to Patriot teams in scheduling that it did not have before. There was little or no chance Boston College was ever going to play the Cross as a non-scholarship program because of the bowl counter rule, so that's a given. It's also a given Georgetown isn't getting those calls, but the supply of available opponents for GU isn't going up as a result of PL scholarships. In fact, it could get even tighter.

At one point in the 1990's, 20 of the 24 Ivy non-scholarship games in one season went to PL teams. In 2012, that was just 16. By 2019, 12. Of those, three of the 12 are games with Georgetown, but Ivy teams are not adding home and away games with Georgetown to fill their calendars. Instead, Pioneer teams are filling the gaps in weeks 4-6 and the pre-Ivy calendar (weeks 1-3) leaves the Hoyas in a competitive bind early. CAA and MEAC schools aren't interested in giving up an early season week. An OVC or SoCon team isn't coming to DC either. This year's first three on the Hoyas' schedule: a bye week to start the season, a non-return road game at Campbell, and Marist.

A name opponent (or two) might wake up the Georgetown fan base. No slight to Campbell and Marist, but that won't do it.

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2017, 07:46 PM
I think it's apparent that scholarships have opened doors to Patriot teams in scheduling that it did not have before. There was little or no chance Boston College was ever going to play the Cross as a non-scholarship program because of the bowl counter rule, so that's a given. It's also a given Georgetown isn't getting those calls, but the supply of available opponents for GU isn't going up as a result of PL scholarships. In fact, it could get even tighter.

At one point in the 1990's, 20 of the 24 Ivy non-scholarship games in one season went to PL teams. In 2012, that was just 16. By 2019, 12. Of those, three of the 12 are games with Georgetown, but Ivy teams are not adding home and away games with Georgetown to fill their calendars. Instead, Pioneer teams are filling the gaps in weeks 4-6 and the pre-Ivy calendar (weeks 1-3) leaves the Hoyas in a competitive bind early. CAA and MEAC schools aren't interested in giving up an early season week. An OVC or SoCon team isn't coming to DC either. This year's first three on the Hoyas' schedule: a bye week to start the season, a non-return road game at Campbell, and Marist.

A name opponent (or two) might wake up the Georgetown fan base. No slight to Campbell and Marist, but that won't do it.

Howard Vs. Georgetown in the Nation's Football Classic.

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2017, 08:07 PM
Howard Vs. Georgetown in the Nation's Football Classic.

Before that game, there was the D.C. Mayor's Cup. Georgetown won two of three from Howard and the Bison haven't scheduled the Hoyas since.

van
June 22nd, 2017, 09:09 PM

Hoyas should be able to play 3 or more Ivys a year as they continue to shy away from the PL "haves"

RichH2
June 22nd, 2017, 10:25 PM
For Hoyas' sake hope Ivies add a game to their season to enable 4 OOC games.

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2017, 01:10 AM
For Hoyas' sake hope Ivies add a game to their season to enable 4 OOC games.

Agreed. Some awfully good, long-standing matchups are going by the boards. I'm glad Georgetown is getting more games with the Ivies, though.

Fordham
June 23rd, 2017, 10:35 AM
check the past 5 years of Gate schedule and the next 5 years of HC schedule, granted you're still doing better than Lehigh with FBS games
I think we've been the clear second to Gate in the past five years and i do think we're comparable to Holy Cross in the next five. I can see how BC can give them the bump but I'd argue it's close. We have an FBS in each year along with OOC's with Richmond, Stony Brook, Eastern Washington among others.

The bigger point I would argue, though, is that Colgate, Fordham and HC have taken the leap into exactly what I think a scholarship PL's OOC should look like. FBS schools, great FCS schools and then the lesser ones are either Ivies or local FCS schools that make sense to have in there. Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell don't need to do a ton different but they're definitely a notch or two below those three imo.

RichH2
June 23rd, 2017, 10:36 AM

Nice that we have Navy in 18. But game now on 8/25 not mid Sept. Great to play Navy but not so much as an opener. Dang.

PAllen
June 23rd, 2017, 06:49 PM
Nice that we have Navy in 18. But game now on 8/25 not mid Sept. Great to play Navy but not so much as an opener. Dang.

I'll take them where I can get them at this point. Agree with Fordham's scheduling philosophy above. LU is far behind and doing little to nothing different than we did before scholarships opened the door.

PAllen
June 23rd, 2017, 06:52 PM

Not to dampen the mood any more, but I'm not sure anything short of playing Syracuse or Maryland in DC (College Park might suffice) would awaken the GU community to the football program.

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2017, 11:29 PM
I think we've been the clear second to Gate in the past five years and i do think we're comparable to Holy Cross in the next five. I can see how BC can give them the bump but I'd argue it's close. We have an FBS in each year along with OOC's with Richmond, Stony Brook, Eastern Washington among others.

The bigger point I would argue, though, is that Colgate, Fordham and HC have taken the leap into exactly what I think a scholarship PL's OOC should look like. FBS schools, great FCS schools and then the lesser ones are either Ivies or local FCS schools that make sense to have in there. Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell don't need to do a ton different but they're definitely a notch or two below those three imo.

No sin in playing challenging OOC schedules.

ngineer
June 24th, 2017, 09:13 PM

August 25??!!! that's horrible. I doubt Lehigh has ever played a game that early in its history. Not good. Likely a blistering hot day in Annapolis at that time of year. Depth will be an issue. I am hoping the Alumni Association schedules the same type of 'sail' weekend from Baltimore up the Chesapeake and back. that was wonderful weekend many years ago.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 24th, 2017, 09:16 PM
August 25??!!! that's horrible. I doubt Lehigh has ever played a game that early in its history. Not good. Likely a blistering hot day in Annapolis at that time of year. Depth will be an issue. I am hoping the Alumni Association schedules the same type of 'sail' weekend from Baltimore up the Chesapeake and back. that was wonderful weekend many years ago.

Take the beating early and move on. There's no good time to play Navy so the earlier the whopping is administered the faster Lehigh can lick their wounds.

Off the top of my head Lehigh played Buffalo around August 27th 2002....

citdog
June 24th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Goddamn y'all are a bunch of cucks. If you refer to canoe u as your "FBS Moneygame" or your "Take Your Whooping And A Check Game" you deserve to be sterilized.

Bill
June 24th, 2017, 11:16 PM
Go Lehigh - I'm pretty sure it was Thursday, August 29th of 02....

Bill
June 24th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Citdog may have a point there...it's not like we're scheduling the SEC. It's very different from say - Towson scheduling LSU several years back...

ngineer
June 27th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Navy is no slouch. They'd clean THE Citadel's clock in a nanosecond. Navy has played many good FBS schools in recent years and done well. I am all for playing up, but when you don't red-shirt the gap in experience is large and that extra month of practice can be big. If we have to play them early, this would be the year to do it when we have a very veteran line up, overall.

citdog
June 27th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Navy is no slouch. They'd clean THE Citadel's clock in a nanosecond. Navy has played many good FBS schools in recent years and done well. I am all for playing up, but when you don't red-shirt the gap in experience is large and that extra month of practice can be big. If we have to play them early, this would be the year to do it when we have a very veteran line up, overall.

Those canoe u homos are still pissed the we developed the first submarine.

Tell their AD to answer the phone then...

ngineer
June 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Those canoe u homos are still pissed the we developed the first submarine.

Tell their AD to answer the phone then...

Hah! Very true. I saw the Hunley a few years ago when we visited Charleston. Amazing.