PDA

View Full Version : How much anticipation and excitement is surrounding your 2017 season opener?

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 10:19 AM
For us the anticipation for our season opener has been going since the game was announced 2 years ago. This year we open up against our long time rival Tuskegee who we have not played since the 2012 Turkey Day Classic. We played Tuskegee every year from 1924-2012 in the Turkey Day Classic. Tuskegee chose to not participate in the D2 Playoffs for years to take part in The Turkey Day Classic. Alabama State and Tuskegee are only 35 miles from each other and our students, fans, faculty interact with each other on an almost daily basis since Tuskegee is a small town and their students come to Montgomery to shop, go to the movies and ect. Tuskegee spoiled our 1st game in the new stadium during the 2012 Turkey Day Classic and they've had the upper hand against us winning 13 of the last 17 meetings. This opener is also the schools 150th anniversary which brings that much more hype to the ball game.

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 10:27 AM
4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 10:31 AM
4/10

Being billed as the first game of the year and being on ESPN is cool and all but I really wish we could play a D1 school.

Jax State/Troy would be 12/10

Laker
June 10th, 2017, 11:01 AM
MSU-Mankato will go on the road at Mary in Bismarck on Thursday, Aug. 31. I've been there twice so I might just go the 80 miles to watch the Gophers against Buffalo instead. The next week they host UM-Crookston, which shouldn't be a close game. Right now it looks like the game of the year might be MSU at UM-Duluth on Sept. 16th. Bemidji had a very good year and pounded us at home, but we don't play them in the regular season this year. They could be the darkhorse.

kdinva
June 10th, 2017, 11:05 AM
VMI going out to Coach Wach's alma-mater, the USAFA.....will be a great trip (longest in VMI history, I am certain)....

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/files/2011/06/airforce_falconstadium.jpg

Laker
June 10th, 2017, 11:11 AM
VMI going out to Coach Wach's alma-mater, the USAFA.....will be a great trip (longest in VMI history, I am certain)....

My brother, who is not a big sports fan, loved going to Air Force FB games when he was stationed in Colorado Springs. Beautiful venue.

Catatonic
June 10th, 2017, 11:12 AM
There is a lot of excitement at ACU, more for the HOME opener than the season opener at New Mexico.

New Coach. Adam Dorrel in 6 years as HC at D2 Northwestern MO. he averaged more than 12 wins a year, was 3x D2 national coach of the year, Won 4 conference championships and 3 national titles, including the last two years. In the short time he has been on campus he has initiated a profound change in the culture. Players are held accountable for actions on and off the field

New Stadium. Opening for a new 52 million dollar on campus stadium is set for Sept 16, following two away games vs Mt West opponents. It's a yawner of a game vs Houston Baptist. The draw is the stadium and a chance to see what Dorrel has done with the team.

Catatonic
June 10th, 2017, 11:15 AM
My brother, who is not a big sports fan, loved going to Air Force FB games when he was stationed in Colorado Springs. Beautiful venue.

I attended a game there last year when ACU played AFA. It is a beautiful venue with lots of military pageantry and a spectacular new hi def scoreboard that was crystal clear even in the mid day sun.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 11:18 AM
WCU at Hawaii. Some Catamount fans have said it is our best chance to finally beat an FBS team but I suggest otherwise. Hawaii, while not FBS world beaters, still have the full allotment of 85 schollies, did win a bowl game last year and I also feel the flight alone to the Islands will take its toll on our kids. I know for the TRIP ALONE, well to those who are going, I am sure it is a 10/10. The game? I think we can score but I don't think we can stop them. We'll be 0-1 when Davidson comes to Cullowhee a week later and then we can take it out on them. I would really hope we could beat them and G-Webb and be at 2-1 when SoCon play starts with Samford coming to 28723 on September 23. GO CATS!!!

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Jax State/Troy would be 12/10
I said I wanted a D1 opponent, didn't I?

SFA 93
June 10th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Playing at Ford Field in Dallas, Texas against the Mustangs of SMU with 32,000 fans.

Our record against FBS teams is pretty sad, so Lumberjack fans know where we stand.

With about 45% of the Lumberjacks roster different from last season and 5 new position coaches including DC who knows?

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 11:51 AM

What's the likelihood of us seeing this game soon?

BEAR
June 10th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Playing #18 Kansas State in a 50,000 seat stadium... Us fans are both excited yet realistic. Our administration...doesn't know the game is even happening.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Playing #18 Kansas State in a 50,000 seat stadium... Us fans are both excited yet realistic. Our administration...doesn't know the game is even happening.
Would love to see UCA pull this one out. Best of luck. GO CATS!!! (WCU, not KSU) lol

RootinFerDukes
June 10th, 2017, 12:02 PM
There is a lot of excitement at ACU--

New Coach. Adam Dorrel in 6 years as HC at D2 Northwestern MO. he averaged more than 12 wins a year, was 3x D2 national coach of the year, Won 4 conference championships and 3 national titles, including the last two years. In the short time he has been on campus he has initiated a profound change in the culture. Players are held accountable for actions on and off the field

New Stadium. Opening for a new 52 million dollar on campus stadium is set for Sept 16, following two away games vs Mt West opponents.

There's no way a coach with that pedigree, even if it's D2, isn't going to turn ACU into a Southland contender in relatively short order (3-5 years from now). A new stadium is always exciting and helps to draw bigger crowds.

Heck, if he can assemble a smash mouth defensive presence, the SLC teams will crumble.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 12:03 PM
rootin, I am already predicting JMU to beat East Carolina. Don't let me down. GO CATS!!! GO FCS!!!

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Playing at Ford Field in Dallas, Texas against the Mustangs of SMU with 32,000 fans.

It won't be 32,000. SMU can't draw crowds beyond the old SWC teams.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 12:11 PM
It won't be 32,000. SMU can't draw crowds beyond the old SWC teams. Agree. I don't see "the Chad" being any savior for them either.

RootinFerDukes
June 10th, 2017, 12:13 PM
rootin, I am already predicting JMU to beat East Carolina. Don't let me down. GO CATS!!! GO FCS!!!

Yeah, I'll admit I'm excited for this FBS game more than most because it's winnable. We all thought SMU was winnable in 2014, and well... it was. Akron in 2013 should have been a win, but Mickey Matthews was being Mickey. No Timeouts left with the drive down the field for a game winning FG. Akron defenders taking their sweet time getting up off the ground to milk clock, faking injuries, etc.

We can beat ECU but I'm trying to temper my expecations and not be full of arrogance just because we're the defending champs. We did lose to UNC last year, but that's UNC. Very much not ECU. ECU won 3 games last year but should be better. We've lost our star RB but return all other RBs and have a GT starting RB transfer who should start. We return our QB.
Biggest losses come from the O Line, WRs and LBs. We've addressed LBs depth with some FBS transfers. Hopefully we'll be like NDSU and not rebuild, but simply reload.

I've never been to Dowdy Ficklen stadium or ECU. It'll be a whole lot of purple. Their fans think they can beat us. Massey has us as favorites already. Their HC will not let them overlook us.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I'll admit I'm excited for this FBS game more than most because it's winnable. We all thought SMU was winnable in 2014, and well... it was. Akron in 2013 should have been a win, but Mickey Matthews was being Mickey. No Timeouts left with the drive down the field for a game winning FG. Akron defenders taking their sweet time getting up off the ground to milk clock, faking injuries, etc.

We can beat ECU but I'm trying to temper my expecations and not be full of arrogance just because we're the defending champs. We did lose to UNC last year, but that's UNC. Very much not ECU. ECU won 3 games last year but should be better. We've lost our star RB but return all other RBs and have a GT starting RB transfer who should start. We return our QB.
Biggest losses come from the O Line, WRs and LBs. We've addressed LBs depth with some FBS transfers. Hopefully we'll be like NDSU and not rebuild, but simply reload.

I've never been to Dowdy Ficklen stadium or ECU. It'll be a whole lot of purple. Their fans think they can beat us. Massey has us as favorites already. Their HC will not let them overlook us. JMU 21 ECU 17 - my prediction. GO CATS!!!

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 12:17 PM
https://youtu.be/3K5xI3agWOg

RootinFerDukes
June 10th, 2017, 12:19 PM
JMU 21 ECU 17 - my prediction. GO CATS!!!

I seriously doubt it'll be that defensive of a football game. It's more likely to be a track meet.

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 12:22 PM
What's the likelihood of us seeing this game soon?
None.

BisonTru
June 10th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I'm pumped to final get a chance to knock off clenzy's delta devils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 12:57 PM
None.

Dang Itxbangx

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Dang Itxbangx
It's cause they know we would eat their lunch.

#SouthernConditioningSpeed

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 01:02 PM
The first three are not all that exciting but could not be a better set up for the Cadets who will have some new faces in key places in 2017.

Newberry
PC
@ETSU
Bye
@Samford

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 01:02 PM
It's cause they know we would eat their lunch.

#SouthernConditioningSpeed

Keep it down home cuz!xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Keep it down home cuz!xthumbsupx
Keep what at home? I keep a lot of things at home.

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Keep what at home? I keep a lot of things at home.

That was a famous Larry Blakeney quote when the NCAA busted Auburn while he was there for paying Eric Ramsey.

SFA 93
June 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Of course they will, SFA is in town :)

Gangtackle11
June 10th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Villanova @ Lehigh
September 2nd 12:30pm

I think the Lehigh fans are excited to gauge their team vs. Villanova. They played Nova very tough early last season & had a good chance of winning the game. I'm not sure Villanova will be as easy this time around given last season's game & that they will be fresh and not beaten up vs. Pitt like last season.

Should be a good game and it will be the 1st time since 1981 that someone not named Talley will be the Wildcats head coach.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2017, 01:47 PM
For me, the game itself will be anticlimactic with the Bison playing Miss Valley State...the game will be over before halftime. It is seeing friends in the tailgate and seeing my fellow Bison fans in my section. Some have been there as long as I have.

FUBeAR
June 10th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Excitement Levels for 2017 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being highest...

Furman - 10 - New Head Coach bringing a new Offense and some great Off. Asst's. New Defensive Staff from highly successful program. MUCH better uniforms. Stealing a phrase that worked quite well for Coach Huesman at Chatt..."Restore the Glory" is in full speed ahead mode at FU

Mercer - 9.9 - 1st year with a full complement of Recruited Scholarship players. Playing @ 2 SEC schools (Auburn & Bama). Start with 2 games at home. Winnable game (refuse to call it a 'tune-up') vs. PFL's Jacksonville, who now runs option, followed by FCS Playoff Quarterfinalist, Woffy, bringing their version of the option to Maconga. Also get Chatt and Sammy at home with a VERY interesting away (Homecoming) game at FU. Wide open conference race, in the opinion of many. Return of Tee Mitchell at RB along with a few solid transfers at key positions, and the SoCon's top-ranked Recruiting class. (BTW - The 0.1 reduction is an acknowledgement of the loss of so many wonderful "Day 1's" to graduation; the fine young men who led the amazingly fun and largely successful rebirth of Mercer Football)

IF FU can shock Woffy in SparkleCity in the opener for both and Mercer can catch the LittleDogs licking their wounds (and other body parts) down in the sweltering heat of Maconga the following week, all SoCon pre-season predictions will be out the window and the race will be ON!

slostang
June 10th, 2017, 02:42 PM
As a Cal Poly fan I am very excited to have a zero week home game against Colgate that will be nationally televised on ESPNU. Should be a great game.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Excitement Levels for 2017 on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being highest...

Furman - 10 - New Head Coach bringing a new Offense and some great Off. Asst's. New Defensive Staff from highly successful program. MUCH better uniforms. Stealing a phrase that worked quite well for Coach Huesman at Chatt..."Restore the Glory" is in full speed ahead mode at FU

Mercer - 9.9 - 1st year with a full complement of Recruited Scholarship players. Playing @ 2 SEC schools (Auburn & Bama). Start with 2 games at home. Winnable game (refuse to call it a 'tune-up' vs. PFL's Jacksonville, who now runs option, followed by FCS Playoff Quarterfinalist, Woffy, bringing their version of the option to Maconga. Also get Chatt and Sammy at home with a VERY interesting away (Homecoming) game at FU. Wide open conference race, in the opinion of many. Return of Tee Mitchell at RB. A few solid transfers and SoCon's top-ranked Recruiting class.

IF FU can shock Woffy in SparkleCity in the opener for both and Mercer can catch the LittleDogs licking their wounds (and other body parts) down in the sweltering heat of Maconga the following week, all SoCon pre-season predictions will be out the window and the race will be ON!

I remember the first time I got drunk and posted.

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2017, 02:46 PM
That only means you didn't get drunk enough.

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Villanova @ Lehigh

I think the Lehigh fans are excited to gauge their team vs. Villanova. They played Nova very tough early last season & had a good chance of winning the game. I'm not sure Villanova will be as easy this time around given last season's game & that they will be fresh and not beaten up vs. Pitt like last season.

Should be a good game and it will be the 1st time since 1981 that someone not named Talley will be the Wildcats head coach.

There are some really solid openers for the PL this fall. In order of interest/excitement:

1. Fordham at Army, Sep. 1, CBS Sports Network: The Cadets are coming off their best season in 20 years and Fordham gets one more season with Chase Edmonds. Good opener.

2. Villanova at Lehigh, Sep. 2: This could draw 12K or more on a warm Saturday afternoon. The Engineers have something to prove and a win over Nova's new coach would be a great start to getting national attention.

3. Holy Cross at UConn, Aug. 31, ESPN3/SNY: If HC could play some defense and get Pujals going eqarly, they could make this interesting. Edsall does not want this game to sour a frustrated UConn football base this early.

4. Colgate at Cal Poly, Aug. 26, ESPNU: Lots of rushing in this game between two teams looking to make noise by season's end. It might be done in two hours, but could be the most competitive of all the openers.

5. Lafayette at Monmouth, Sep. 2, LSN: A competitive matchup of two teams not expected to contend in their respective conferences but are looking to build a foundation. Garrett's debut could open up some eyes if the Leopards could surprise.

6. Marist at Bucknell, Sep. 2: Can't say much about this game--it's listed as a time of TBA and Bucknell usually prevails. Note that Bucknell has only two home games after September 30, so an early win helps.

7. Georgetown doesn't have a week one opponent, which poses two questions: 1) Did no one want to play? and 2) What's the net gain of starting the season a week later? Instead, the Hoyas travel in week two to Buies Creek, NC to face Campbell University (5-5 in 2016), which has never played a Patriot League school before and probably won't again when they move to the Big South for good in 2018. The Camels are picked 6th in the Pioneer for 2017, which means they will be a slight favorite at home.

BisonFan02
June 10th, 2017, 03:45 PM
None.....it will be like watching a slow execution...

TheKingpin28
June 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM
None.....it will be like watching a slow execution...

But at least that means it is the start of the FCS season.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM
But at least that means it is the start of the FCS season.

You are playing a SWAC team so it will have more in common with your openers when you were DII.

GodHelpTheBears
June 10th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I'm so excited that I'm going to Chicago for the weekend. I have no desire to watch our guys get blown out by UM-C.

TheKingpin28
June 10th, 2017, 04:32 PM
You are playing a SWAC team so it will have more in common with your openers when you were DII.

If the committee will reward NDSU with a top 2 seed, why would NDSU not want to go an easier route while maintaining healthy. Losing DeLuca and Tanguay while being outpreformed by JMU ensured NDSU would not make it out of their side of the bracket, so ensuring that NDSU does what it needs to, to ensure a top 2 seed with healthy players is something anyone should be for.

Most schools would rather avoid NDSU and schedule a Home and Home, than play the Bison, so it has come to a point where they must do what they have to, to get a full D1 schedule while ensuring they still get 6 home games a season.

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2017, 04:46 PM
If the committee will reward NDSU with a top 2 seed, why would NDSU not want to go an easier route while maintaining healthy. Losing DeLuca and Tanguay while being outpreformed by JMU ensured NDSU would not make it out of their side of the bracket, so ensuring that NDSU does what it needs to, to ensure a top 2 seed with healthy players is something anyone should be for.

Most schools would rather avoid NDSU and schedule a Home and Home, than play the Bison, so it has come to a point where they must do what they have to, to get a full D1 schedule while ensuring they still get 6 home games a season.

I dont think he was badmouthing NDSU for the schedule. He was actually smacking the SWACK.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I dont think he was badmouthing NDSU for the schedule. He was actually smacking the SWACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT2erau3zo

TheKingpin28
June 10th, 2017, 05:06 PM

Yeah that as not detected at all on my end.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Moorhead State would beat Miss Valley State this year.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 05:37 PM

The Indiana State teams that lost all of those games would have been the best teams in the history of the swac.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2017, 06:26 PM
The Indiana State teams that lost all of those games would have been the best teams in the history of the swac.

NDSU's coach (Klieman) will take the foot off the pedal. He doesn't run it up on anyone. 2nd and 3rd teamers will get some playing time.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 06:27 PM
NDSU's coach (Klieman) will take the foot off the pedal. He doesn't run it up on anyone. 2nd and 3rd teamers will get some playing time.

Why? You bought their time and should use it to get your boys ready for the season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 10th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Why? You bought their time and should use it to get your boys ready for the season.

He will not run it up. Now maybe with EWU in the 2nd game, he might keep the starters in longer. I forgot about EWU after this one.

Go Green
June 10th, 2017, 07:42 PM
I think the Dartmouth community is looking forward to the Stetson game. It will be the first game ever for Dartmouth football in Florida, and Roger Hughes used to be the offensive coordinator for Dartmouth.

No idea how Stetson views us, though...

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 07:56 PM
I think the Dartmouth community is looking forward to the Stetson game. It will be the first game ever for Dartmouth football in Florida, and Roger Hughes used to be the offensive coordinator for Dartmouth.

No idea how Stetson views us, though...

Let me help you then. They think that you are a bunch of pretentious upper class twits who severely overpay for your education.

DFW HOYA
June 10th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Let me help you then. They think that you are a bunch of pretentious upper class twits who severely overpay for your education.

Tuition at Dartmouth, 2016-17: $49,506
Tuition at Stetson, 2016-17: $41,590

All things being equal, take Dartmouth and the over.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Tuition at Dartmouth, 2016-17: $49,506
Tuition at Stetson, 2016-17: $41,590

All things being equal, take Dartmouth and the over.

BF '02 could buy a jeep with the difference...

number1
June 10th, 2017, 08:56 PM
We open play on one of the ESPNs at home. We're looking to go 3-0 in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge against South Carolina State. Coming off an 8-3 season and having to replace 2 of the most electric offensive players in Lenard Tillery and Willie Quinn, I think Southern fans are excited to see if we have any players stepping in to fill the void left by those two.

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM

Man Stop!

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Valley has loss to Concordia-Selma, Delta State, and Stillman here recently. To say that Valley is bad is an understatement.

TheKingpin28
June 10th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Valley has loss to Concordia-Selma, Delta State, and Stillman here recently. To say that Valley is bad is an understatement.

*Insert the audience asking "How bad is it?" and Gene Rayburn replies "It's so bad that _____"

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM
To be truthful I havent really thought about it with it being 2 1/2 months away. But now you have me thinking about it I am looking forward to seeing how our new O-coordinator calls the game and see what weve done with the O-line.

BisonFan02
June 10th, 2017, 11:05 PM
BF '02 could buy a jeep with the difference...

xlolx Could I?

citdog
June 11th, 2017, 01:19 AM
xlolx Could I?

https://media.giphy.com/media/gVoBC0SuaHStq/giphy.gif

Catatonic
June 11th, 2017, 06:35 AM
There's no way a coach with that pedigree, even if it's D2, isn't going to turn ACU into a Southland contender in relatively short order (3-5 years from now). A new stadium is always exciting and helps to draw bigger crowds.

Heck, if he can assemble a smash mouth defensive presence, the SLC teams will crumble.

Thanks. Expectations are high. Three to five years sounds about right for ACU to become a serious contender. Hey, it took Nick Saban 3 years to get things going at resource rich Alabama. Some fans are hoping for an immediate turn around. I like to point out that Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe his first season at Bama. A little patience is due.

PaladinNation
June 11th, 2017, 07:32 AM
To say that Furman fans are excited about 2017… doesn't capture the full extent of how many of us are feeling.
No doubt the last several years have been humbling and miserable. It's been frustrating and sad to see our program lose its way.

Starting with the announcement event of Clay Hendrix as the new Furman coach, the attitude around the program and the attitude of fans changed. Coach Hendrix went on a southern tour to engaged supporters of the program to be a part of the one-million dollar championship drive. He's doing luncheons and has been seen at area high schools meeting coaches. I mention this all these things because all of these things together build excitement.

Bruce Fowler is a great guy and I still believe is a great coach - he IMO didn't enjoy being a head coach. He didn't enjoy doing the things that are required today to build a program and a fanbase.

Greenville has changed since the last uber successful season at Furman (Martin years) Greenville is becoming a very active city, Greenville folk will support sports (just go to a Gville Drive game).

Facing Wofford out of the gate - will be a tall task. In a way this is the best thing for this new era, it fits the Clay Hendrix persona, you want to be the best you play the best. My biggest fear was Ayers retiring and Wofford hiring Clay. Thank God that didn't happen.

To say Furman fans are excited about 2017 is right, but I'll be excited if we just see a season that we show up and play competitive one game at a time.

citdog
June 11th, 2017, 08:07 AM
furman sucks

LuckyKat
June 11th, 2017, 08:20 AM
not sure if this much has ever been riding on a Season Opener for the Kats,
Could be the difference in Home Field through out, or those Brutal Road Games,

dgtw
June 11th, 2017, 08:40 AM
4/10

I'd be more excited if I didn't have to drive to Montgomery and waste money on a hotel.

POD Knows
June 11th, 2017, 09:17 AM
not sure if this much has ever been riding on a Season Opener for the Kats,
Could be the difference in Home Field through out, or those Brutal Road Games,A #2 seed xcoffeex

Bucs2016
June 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM
For the prospect of playing the opener, @ SEC Mississippi State, very little because we probably will get beat handily and its not a 'sexy' FBS game like if we played Tennessee or Clemson or someone worth taking the trip to go see the blowout. South Alabama opened with a win @ MSU last year so who knows...maybe we have a 5% shot.

But excitement for the new season A LOT! We are the favorite to win our conference so its very exciting. Scale of 1-10, its a 9. Some worry about replacing the defensive coaching staff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 11th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Villanova @ Lehigh

This will be the best matchup ever between the two teams based on preseason hype. The only one that would come close is 2004.

As a Lehigh fan I think it's time to get back over the CAA hump and finally beat 'Nova again. I'll be disappointed if Lehigh can't win this game at home. There are no moral victories this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 11th, 2017, 11:25 AM
For the prospect of playing the opener, @ SEC Mississippi State, very little because we probably will get beat handily and its not a 'sexy' FBS game like if we played Tennessee or Clemson or someone worth taking the trip to go see the blowout. South Alabama opened with a win @ MSU last year so who knows...maybe we have a 5% shot.

But excitement for the new season A LOT! We are the favorite to win our conference so its very exciting. Scale of 1-10, its a 9. Some worry about replacing the defensive coaching staff.

I don't know what CSU is going to be like in '17 but Miss State is going to be crap. Their defense was horrible in '16 and they graduated many starters from that crap defense.

Game might be close.

PantherRob82
June 11th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Not that excited. Iowa State is boring. Ames is a dump. I'm not optimistic about our season. Even a win against the Cyclones wouldn't mean things are headed in a good direction. Just glad to watch some good football, whether that is UNI or someone else. :)

youcanbankit
June 11th, 2017, 12:23 PM
A lot of anticipation around this years opener due to the hype surrounding the Samford University Football team. Arguably the highest pre-season rankings in the FCS era and they are facing nearby opponent Kennesaw State which is a young program but the school is growing by leaps and bounds. KS is ranked as well in the preseason top 25 depending on which ranking it is, so hopefully it will be an initial indicator about the young Samford team.

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2017, 01:32 PM

It is a unique week 1 matchup, to be sure.

Wofford has the more talented team and will be the favorite.

Furman will come in with some unique advantages:

1. It is difficult to prepare for a week 1 opponent at any level, as there is some level off guessing and looking at old films. Furman's offensive staff is a compilation of a lot of different offensive philosophies, and there's no game film for the Wofford coaches to dissect (beyond piecing together tape from a number of different universities and a Tennessee High School).

2. Furman had a lot of turnover, but should return a potentially explosive offense with a good bit of speed. PJ Blazejowski is likely the starting signal caller. He's a veteran guy who has had a lot of success against Wofford. He started against them both in 2014 and 2015 and went a combined 29-38 for 520 yards and 5 touchdowns. Wofford, at least to this point, has had a lot of trouble stopping him.

3. Defensively, Furman has several coaches off a Charleston Southern staff that shut Wofford's offense down in the post season. Add to that virtually all of Furman's offensive coaches are veterans of option/run based offenses and can address where and how Wofford may try to make adjustments. Furman has a lot of unanswered questions on defense, but I don't think the Terriers will be surprising them.

4. There's a lot of time to prepare. Its a bizarre week 1 game, but Furman has the advantage of taking as much time as they want to prepare for Wofford. One of the great advantages of an option offense is that it is difficult to prepare for during the season. Seems that advantage is mitigated some when your opponent has ample opportunity to get ready for you.

No question, Wofford will be favored at home. If I were a Terrier fan, there are a lot of other teams I'd rather see out of the gate in week 1 than a new-look Furman team.

Lehigh'98
June 11th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Villanova @ Lehigh

Fair assessment. This game is much more important for Lehigh than Nova. You guys will have plenty of chances to prove how good you are. Lehigh has none after this.

POD Knows
June 11th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Not that excited. Iowa State is boring. Ames is a dump. I'm not optimistic about our season. Even a win against the Cyclones wouldn't mean things are headed in a good direction. Just glad to watch some good football, whether that is UNI or someone else. :)Holy crap, Ames has the best water in "Merica and the Tip Top lounge. Why so negative, I know it isn't Fargo or Springfield, MO but WTF.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Holy crap, Ames has the best water in "Merica and the Tip Top lounge. Why so negative, I know it isn't Fargo or Springfield, MO but WTF.

I went to a place that had slices of pizza the size of a hubcap. Wasnt bad either.

POD Knows
June 11th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I went to a place that had slices of pizza the size of a hubcap. Wasnt bad either.
Clearly Fargo is the Top of the line when it comes to MVFC cities, which is sad but it is what it as. Brookings, nope, Vermillion, nope, Cedar Falls, ick, Indiana and Illinios, doesn't matter what the cities, they all suck, Youngstown, Springsteen wrote a song about the town, Carbondale, yea it sucks, brutal line-up of cities. Springfield, is second on the list, IMHO, because it is close to some decent fishing and golf courses.

Fargo is the king of MVFC cities, the least scenic city of over 100,000 (they were recognized for that someplace), is the top destination for MVFC teams and it isn't even really close, sadly.

Gangtackle11
June 11th, 2017, 05:34 PM
This will be the best matchup ever between the two teams based on preseason hype. The only one that would come close is 2004.

As a Lehigh fan I think it's time to get back over the CAA hump and finally beat 'Nova again. I'll be disappointed if Lehigh can't win this game at home. There are no moral victories this year.

I understand your take, but if you can't stop our ball control run/short passing game it will be a tough hill to climb.

I believe we played a listless game against Lehigh last season coming off a decent showing vs. FBS Pitt. Lehigh certainly took advantage and played a solid game offensively.

I think we proved that we could run at will (52att-396 yds.). I don't see that changing this season. I think Nova plays keep away from Lehigh offense & wins by low double digits in Mark Ferrante's 1st game as head coach.

12 returning starters are in either their 4th or 5th year. 5 returning starters are in 3rd year & another 5 projected to start are in either their 2nd or 3rd season. No Tanoh Kpassagnon or Austin Calitro, but this team is game experienced & ready to be a top notch defense again this season.

Villanova will be up for this game for sure.

citdog
June 11th, 2017, 05:45 PM

1. It is difficult to prepare for a week 1 opponent at any level, as there is some level off guessing and looking at old films. Furman's offensive staff is a compilation of a lot of different offensive philosophies, and there's no game film for the Wofford coaches to dissect (beyond piecing together tape from a number of different universities and a Tennessee High School).

2. Furman had a lot of turnover, but should return a potentially explosive offense with a good bit of speed. PJ Blazejowski is likely the starting signal caller. He's a veteran guy who has had a lot of success against Wofford. He started against them both in 2014 and 2015 and went a combined 29-38 for 520 yards and 5 touchdowns. Wofford, at least to this point, has had a lot of trouble stopping him.

3. Defensively, Furman has several coaches off a Charleston Southern staff that shut Wofford's offense down in the post season. Add to that virtually all of Furman's offensive coaches are veterans of option/run based offenses and can address where and how Wofford may try to make adjustments. Furman has a lot of unanswered questions on defense, but I don't think the Terriers will be surprising them.

4. There's a lot of time to prepare. Its a bizarre week 1 game, but Furman has the advantage of taking as much time as they want to prepare for Wofford. One of the great advantages of an option offense is that it is difficult to prepare for during the season. Seems that advantage is mitigated some when your opponent has ample opportunity to get ready for you.

No question, Wofford will be favored at home. If I were a Terrier fan, there are a lot of other teams I'd rather see out of the gate in week 1 than a new-look Furman team.

furman sucks

PantherRob82
June 11th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Holy crap, Ames has the best water in "Merica and the Tip Top lounge. Why so negative, I know it isn't Fargo or Springfield, MO but WTF.

Ok, maybe Ames isn't a dump, but nothing about that stadium, tailgating, or parking situation has me wanting to go anywhere near a game there. I've been 4-5 times and will never go again.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Clearly Fargo is the Top of the line when it comes to MVFC cities, which is sad but it is what it as. Brookings, nope, Vermillion, nope, Cedar Falls, ick, Indiana and Illinios, doesn't matter what the cities, they all suck, Youngstown, Springsteen wrote a song about the town, Carbondale, yea it sucks, brutal line-up of cities. Springfield, is second on the list, IMHO, because it is close to some decent fishing and golf courses.

Fargo is the king of MVFC cities, the least scenic city of over 100,000 (they were recognized for that someplace), is the top destination for MVFC teams and it isn't even really close, sadly.

Yep Springfield is #2. I lived an hour and a half from there until 2 years ago. They have some pretty good restaurants and are only about 30 minutes from Branson. Traffic sucks.

The other cities in the conference are 5-6 steps behind Springfield.

The only MVFC towns I havent been to are Youngstown and Terra Haute.

Gangtackle11
June 11th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Yep Springfield is #2. I lived an hour and a half from there until 2 years ago. They have some pretty good restaurants and are only about 30 minutes from Branson. Traffic sucks.

Hate when the tractor blocks the 3 cars trying to get to work on time during rush hour. xeyebrowx

JSUSoutherner
June 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM

Branson is pretty fun.

I'll be in Eagle Rock next week. :D

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Branson is pretty fun.

I'll be in Eagle Rock next week. :D

Eagle Rock?

JSUSoutherner
June 11th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Eagle Rock?
It's a no-where town along Table Rock. Where 86 crosses the lake. Not too far from Cassville.

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2017, 09:04 PM
It's a no-where town along Table Rock. Where 86 crosses the lake. Not too far from Cassville.

Ok. Got it.

caribbeanhen
June 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Just getting rid of Dave Brock is a big refresher going into 2017

The guy was stubborn, that's ok in some cases but not when stubborn crossed over the line into stupidity

he was to selfish and stubborn to admit he whiffed on his QB recruit Joe Walker and those Hen fans that remained loyal were forced to watch the most an anemic and outright embarrassing passing game in college football for 2 years.....

He also refused to change any of his coordinators going into 2016, knowing it was probably going to be a make or break year for him

loyalty is one thing, but people actually pay to attend these games, he sacrificed any chance of winning for loyalty to some bad coaches

it was almost like Brock knew he was on borrowed time for his 4 years at Delaware

One thing I will give him credit for is bringing in some better Defensive players and now those players will have some better coaching to go with
all the talent they have

the Transfer QB from Appy is an unknown, however there is no way he wont be an upgrade

We still need a WR, If we get a good one Delaware will be a legit threat to get back on track and return to the playoffs

Bisonoline
June 11th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Ok, maybe Ames isn't a dump, but nothing about that stadium, tailgating, or parking situation has me wanting to go anywhere near a game there. I've been 4-5 times and will never go again.

What? You dont want kids who have drank enough to pickle a whale throwing up next to your tailgate?xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
June 12th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Fans are pretty fired up for this season, but we open at home with Butler and have no FBS game this fall .. not by choice, but due largely to Barry Alvarez being a complete wus and banning FCS games. That said, our opener is against a weak PFL team, Butler .. went 4-7, with 2 wins against D-II/NAIA teams .. so 2-7 against the 122nd ranked FCS SOS.

on the the hand, our fans are pretty fired due to below promo give away .. so we have that going for us .. which is nice.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18813732_1830027807259521_5793565643144508795_n.jp g?oh=b97374e0c4aeb9f371bbd7d9af040b02&oe=59E05498

DirtyDukes
June 12th, 2017, 08:15 AM
I'm really excited - ECU is a winnable game and I think we will come out hyped. Also I respect ECU as a party school so I'm pretty excited to party.

McNeese72
June 12th, 2017, 08:56 AM
We have to go play Nicholls in Thibodaux on fricking Thursday night. I guess they aren't worried too much about attendance. Playing on Thursday night will definitely cut on the McNeese fans making the trip over. I can't remember the last time we opened up the season with a conference game. Not very exciting to me.

Doc

caribbeanhen
June 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I'm really excited - ECU is a winnable game and I think we will come out hyped. Also I respect ECU as a party school so I'm pretty excited to party.

alright! interesting game, good thing UNC got you early last year..... go beat them and overlook lil ole Delaware

KPSUL
June 12th, 2017, 11:50 AM
alright! interesting game, good thing UNC got you early last year..... go beat them and overlook lil ole Delaware
Not going to happen, JMU is not going to beat themselves - your hens will have to do it. Mike Houston has the ability to make Morehead State or Rhode Island seem like NDSU when getting his players fired up for game.

Panther88
June 12th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Man Stop!

He's joking. We know good doggone well those super squads of yesteryear would run circles around their olden teams whose overall team speed is akin to watching the speed of paint dry. xlolx

Our first game is a conference tilt and what others call a rival game vs sTu in htown.
The following w/e, we play Sam Houston St University @ our place. The last time we played SHSU, we beat them 13-8 (fall 1985) @ their place. This fall, we're hoping SHSU doesn't run the score up past 60+ points lol.

RabidRabbit
June 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM
SDSU opens hosting Duquesne out the NEC. Dukes may be a good NEC team, but Jacks will be wanting to flex their offensive muscle. Look for a 40 to 20 win, after lots of liberal subbing in 2nd half by Coach Stig.

Doubt Jacks get above 12K for the game, and not much excitement, unless Dukes make a game of it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 12th, 2017, 12:29 PM

I was down there in 2015 for a Thursday night Temple-ECU game. Fun atmosphere for a game! Their stadium is kind of a dump though. It looks pretty impressive on TV but in person seriously lags behind most P5 facilities. I'm considering going back this year and playing golf at Tobacco Road.

On the way back I stopped at JMU for College Game Day. It was a Friday but still packed!!

Thumper 76
June 12th, 2017, 12:38 PM
SDSU opens hosting Duquesne out the NEC. Dukes may be a good NEC team, but Jacks will be wanting to flex their offensive muscle. Look for a 40 to 20 win, after lots of liberal subbing in 2nd half by Coach Stig.

Doubt Jacks get above 12K for the game, and not much excitement, unless Dukes make a game of it.
Pretty well sums it up, but I think with the excitement around the expectations for this team should help a little. The bigger roadblock is that it's a Thursday game. There isn't a lot to be excited about for the OOC home games this year. Hoping for 12-13k but realistically with the Thursday opener vs a NEC team is probably 10-11k. Hope the defense comes out with something to prove though, it felt like the performance defensively against Drake set the tone for the season last year.

caribbeanhen
June 12th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Not going to happen, JMU is not going to beat themselves - your hens will have to do it. Mike Houston has the ability to make Morehead State or Rhode Island seem like NDSU when getting his players fired up for game.

are the players that dumb? .. haha, yes I know he is a real good coach

Ivytalk
June 12th, 2017, 03:10 PM
The vibes coming out of Cambridge for Harvard at URI are positively soporific.

IBleedYellow
June 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I'm ready for tailgating.

nodak651
June 12th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I think if UND has a good showing against Utah, we have our first sellout at the Alerus in a long time, for the opener.

citdog
June 12th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Make this a Bizon and y'all got a 2017 Horny Bizon Tailgate T-Shirt....

http://7.media.bustedtees.cvcdn.com/1/-/bustedtees.e8ccdcb1-9943-4e51-9731-950d33fc.gif

Wildcat1997
June 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Thanks. Expectations are high. Three to five years sounds about right for ACU to become a serious contender. Hey, it took Nick Saban 3 years to get things going at resource rich Alabama. Some fans are hoping for an immediate turn around. I like to point out that Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe his first season at Bama. A little patience is due.I'm excited to see how this season is going to go. I could see us with 3-4 wins on the low side and 6-7 on the high side. I'm just anxious for this season to start so we can finally get some questions answered about this staff and also the team. I think Dorrel will really have a hugely positive impact for us.

GodHelpTheBears
June 12th, 2017, 07:51 PM
I think if UND has a good showing against Utah, we have our first sellout at the Alerus in a long time, for the opener.

We set our all time attendance record against your guys - we expect nothing less from you.

Bucs2016
June 12th, 2017, 10:14 PM
I don't know what CSU is going to be like in '17 but Miss State is going to be crap. Their defense was horrible in '16 and they graduated many starters from that crap defense.

Game might be close.

Maybe. They've got a QB who looks like a poor mans Tim Tebow. Hes gonna be a beast to stop. But if we play our best game we might be in it late.

Bucs2016
June 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM

Yep. That former CSU staff was simply outstanding vs triple option in their games vs Citadel, Kennessaw and Wofford. It may be visible in game 1 maybe not. But in time Furman D is gonna be hell for option teams.

ETSUfan1
June 13th, 2017, 12:10 PM
First game in brand new on-campus stadium, and first game on campus since 2003. You can say I'm pretty excited.

citdog
June 13th, 2017, 06:27 PM
First game in brand new on-campus stadium, and first game on campus since 2003. You can say I'm pretty excited.

Good for y'all. With I-26 being finished through there it is probably MUCH easier to get to Johnson City now too.

BEAR
June 16th, 2017, 07:29 AM

This.

Iridebikes
June 16th, 2017, 09:14 AM
EWU starts on the road at Texas Tech, last I heard no TV so will be imagining the game. With all of the changes that we've incurred in the coaching staff I've got more apprehension the anticipation. Beau was 6 and 5 his first year here, with a fairly good team. Could be a year of highs and lows.

walliver
June 16th, 2017, 10:37 AM

A new look team is hard to prepare for. On the other hand, a new look offense frequently takes 3-4 games to get the kinks ironed out. On the third hand, we have a new DC. Our last new DC took a year to get up to speed, while the prior dc was prepared in his first game. On the fourth paw, the Air Force system is not completely foreign, as it can be traced back to Fisher DeBerry's stint as an assistant at Wofford when the wishbone was installed in 1969.

For the first time in 5-6 years, we will have a true option QB running the offense so expectations are high, but I'll just be happy if we start the season 1-0.

I really hate the idea of playing conference games in week 1, especially a series that dates back to 1889.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 17th, 2017, 10:04 AM
A new look team is hard to prepare for. On the other hand, a new look offense frequently takes 3-4 games to get the kinks ironed out. On the third hand, we have a new DC. Our last new DC took a year to get up to speed, while the prior dc was prepared in his first game. On the fourth paw, the Air Force system is not completely foreign, as it can be traced back to Fisher DeBerry's stint as an assistant at Wofford when the wishbone was installed in 1969.

For the first time in 5-6 years, we will have a true option QB running the offense so expectations are high, but I'll just be happy if we start the season 1-0.

I really hate the idea of playing conference games in week 1, especially a series that dates back to 1889.

That's the same boat UNH is in as they open with Maine at home week 1. For someone who experienced decades of UMass as the season ending game, I had come around to Maine as that last weekend rivalry game. It just seems bizarre to now play them week 1. But the game should draw a great crowd as the students normally turn out for the first home game and the opponent being Maine should help attract more of them. A sizeable contingent of Black Bear fans will probably attend. The game is being marketed as a Thursday Night Throwdown.

I never got an explanation other than scheduling issues for the reason the game is being played week one. I heard a rumor that Maine wants to host sometime other than that last weekend in the 2018 season. While I wouldn't mind a pre-Columbus day trip to Orono and a side trip to Acadia National Park, I think it is a mistake to not have this game the last week of the regular season. If a mid-season game is scheduled, it will be interesting to see if UNH-Albany is the last game again like it is this year.

GodHelpTheBears
June 17th, 2017, 11:20 AM
EWU starts on the road at Texas Tech, last I heard no TV so will be imagining the game. With all of the changes that we've incurred in the coaching staff I've got more apprehension the anticipation. Beau was 6 and 5 his first year here, with a fairly good team. Could be a year of highs and lows.

It'll probably end up on Fox Sports Southwest Plus or some damn thing, so it might as well be imagined.

EWU has a good foundation - I get the nervousness that a new coach brings in his first game, but Texas Tech is not good. They lost to Iowa State by 56 last year, and their quality players (Mahomes and Fehoko) are no longer on their roster. I expect the Eagles to win this one.

cx500d
June 17th, 2017, 11:24 AM
It'll probably end up on Fox Sports Southwest Plus or some damn thing, so it might as well be imagined.

EWU has a good foundation - I get the nervousness that a new coach brings in his first game, but Texas Tech is not good. They lost to Iowa State by 56 last year, and their quality players (Mahomes and Fehoko) are no longer on their roster. I expect the Eagles to win this one.

Agree....TTU is a shade of their former selves under Mike Leach, and EWU showed they could beat a Mike Leach coached team.

jmufan999
June 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Mike Houston has the ability to make Morehead State or Rhode Island seem like NDSU when getting his players fired up for game.

it's nice to see other fans notice this. I've never seen anything like it. we didn't overlook a single team last year. tough to do with young kids.

on ECU, I am confident but maybe just a hair less confident than before I read an article from ECU's coach. he said multiple times that they will be "more balanced" this year. read: we're going to run the ball. i'd rather they air it out as i'm assuming they'll have a big size advantage on the OL, and we're absolutely stacked with pass rushers and DBs. hopefully we can make them one dimensional.

clenz
June 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I'm pumped to final get a chance to knock off clenzy's delta devils.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFor my Delta Devils it's a

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/a2/4d/b6/a24db61e1ca10eea920c65185cb3af34.jpg

As in, how many points we will score all season...total.

For UNI?

https://m.popkey.co/ff6400/qrrl7_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-web&p=nike&i=nikealphamenace&l=search&f=.gif

Not a single one.

I'm legit more excited to go to Fargo and rock a Delta Devil shirt for 3 days than any UNI game - and it's not even close.

clenz
June 19th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Not that excited. Iowa State is boring. Ames is a dump. I'm not optimistic about our season. Even a win against the Cyclones wouldn't mean things are headed in a good direction. Just glad to watch some good football, whether that is UNI or someone else. :)
That's still too optimistic about this year.

clenz
June 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Speaking of...Imma do this publicly s you can't say no...xlolx

Can I extend my stay by one more day at the front end?

Iridebikes
June 19th, 2017, 03:19 PM

I'd like to join you on game day inside your vat for this one. I agree that we're bringing back alot of experience and talent. My hope is that they can get the coaching staff up to speed. Either way, its always a great day to be and Eagle.

GodHelpTheBears
June 19th, 2017, 06:10 PM
I'd like to join you on game day inside your vat for this one. I agree that we're bringing back alot of experience and talent. My hope is that they can get the coaching staff up to speed. Either way, its always a great day to be and Eagle.

I'll be in Chicago that day, so I need to reserve a vat at Haymarket or Half Acre.

Those Yellow Raiders welched on our date in 2018, and I respect the program you all have up there, so you know who I support.

ngineer
June 21st, 2017, 08:53 PM
More than usual for me this year. Playing Villanova at home to open a season that has high expectations does add more juice. Not only are the Wildcats a preseason Top Ten team, they come from one of the FCS 'power conferences' and are only a hour's drive south of Lehigh. Any other weekend of the year, I would predict a crowd of about 13,000, but Labor Day weekend is always a problem.

Gangtackle11
June 22nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
More than usual for me this year. Playing Villanova at home to open a season that has high expectations does add more juice. Not only are the Wildcats a preseason Top Ten team, they come from one of the FCS 'power conferences' and are only a hour's drive south of Lehigh. Any other weekend of the year, I would predict a crowd of about 13,000, but Labor Day weekend is always a problem.

That would be a great crowd. 12,500 Mountain Hawk fans could be intimidating. xpeacex

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 22nd, 2017, 09:20 AM
That's the same boat UNH is in as they open with Maine at home week 1. For someone who experienced decades of UMass as the season ending game, I had come around to Maine as that last weekend rivalry game. It just seems bizarre to now play them week 1. But the game should draw a great crowd as the students normally turn out for the first home game and the opponent being Maine should help attract more of them. A sizeable contingent of Black Bear fans will probably attend. The game is being marketed as a Thursday Night Throwdown.

I never got an explanation other than scheduling issues for the reason the game is being played week one. I heard a rumor that Maine wants to host sometime other than that last weekend in the 2018 season. While I wouldn't mind a pre-Columbus day trip to Orono and a side trip to Acadia National Park, I think it is a mistake to not have this game the last week of the regular season. If a mid-season game is scheduled, it will be interesting to see if UNH-Albany is the last game again like it is this year.

Most Maine fans would agree that this game was better as the season finale but Maine's attendance drops off a cliff in November thus why Maine is playing Delaware in Portland on November 4th. We did open the season at home with you guys in 98 when the Alfond opened and actually won easily, we all know you guys have owned us recently. I would have expected a much larger Maine crowd on Saturday nite but hopefully the S.Maine crowd shows up. The key to Maine have any success will the the QB transfer Max Staver from Florida as he has plenty of weapons and with most of the OL line back and RB's we actually look like we should be able to put some points on the board. The defense lost a lot on the line and at LB but should be good against the pass. Will be fun and certainly looking at making the trip to see your new stadium and sitting where you guys used to sitxpeacex

KPSUL
June 22nd, 2017, 10:15 AM
Most Maine fans would agree that this game was better as the season finale but Maine's attendance drops off a cliff in November thus why Maine is playing Delaware in Portland on November 4th. We did open the season at home with you guys in 98 when the Alfond opened and actually won easily, we all know you guys have owned us recently. I would have expected a much larger Maine crowd on Saturday nite but hopefully the S.Maine crowd shows up. The key to Maine have any success will the the QB transfer Max Staver from Florida as he has plenty of weapons and with most of the OL line back and RB's we actually look like we should be able to put some points on the board. The defense lost a lot on the line and at LB but should be good against the pass. Will be fun and certainly looking at making the trip to see your new stadium and sitting where you guys used to sitxpeacex

Are you sure that Max is going to win the starting job? Wondering what you had picked up, I took a look at his college football history. He was a Freshman at Florida during the 2013 season and didn't play. Since then he's played at a Jr. College until suffering an injury and the last 2 years at Houston Baptist where he saw only limited duty, particularly in 2016. As an FCS to FCS transfer, do you know how he is even eligible? He appeared in 4 games for FCS HBU during the 2016 season when he was listed as a Junior.

ElCid
June 22nd, 2017, 03:04 PM
Well, we start with Newberry (D2). Not exactly exciting. Considering our personnel losses to graduation and in the off season, I guess it is just what the doctor should order to get the kinks out with new folks stepping up. And it is Labor day weekend in Charleston which means tons of tourists and a sparse attendance due to folks doing other activities. I plan on being at the game and having family visiting as well.

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2017, 05:23 PM
Well, we start with Newberry (D2). Not exactly exciting.

Try selling a season opener in Buies Creek a week after Labor Day, when some teams are already on week 3.

citdog
June 22nd, 2017, 05:25 PM
Well, we start with Newberry (D2). Not exactly exciting. Considering our personnel losses to graduation and in the off season, I guess it is just what the doctor should order to get the kinks out with new folks stepping up. And it is Labor day weekend in Charleston which means tons of tourists and a sparse attendance due to folks doing other activities. I plan on being at the game and having family visiting as well.

The first month of the season is set up BEAUTIFULLY to break in those new men.

Grizalltheway
June 22nd, 2017, 05:36 PM
The first month of the season is set up BEAUTIFULLY to break in those new men.

http://i.imgur.com/Lffqx89.png

citdog
June 22nd, 2017, 05:37 PM
We ain't VMI Bro.

coover
June 22nd, 2017, 06:28 PM
Well, my guys, Cal Poly will be playing the Colgate Toothpastes late in August. The game will be carried by ESPNU nationally, but I'll be traveling the 300 miles north west to San Luis Obispo for this game.

This is not an important Conference game and Colgate is certainly not a traditional rival, or even a team likely to be rated higher than the Mustangs, but it will be a good chance to watch two teams from entirely different regions compete. Besides, I'm curious as to whether I'll actually be able to see the Colgate Team's teeth glow in the dark.

The next week after this game, Poly will play an important game against an FBS foe, San Jose State. While SJSU is FBS, Poly often recruits athletes also being recruited by SJSU. While the two schools are 185 miles apart, it's really just a quick 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip up Hwy 101, and a lot of Mustang fans will be in San Jose that day. San Jose State will be Cal Poly's shortest road game, and Poly has a great chance to win, with SJSU one of the lowest rated FBS teams this year. It should be a good game with San Jose State not being able to stop a rushing attack, and having an offense that cannot stop the pass rush, along with an inexperienced QB that has shown no flashes or brilliance.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 23rd, 2017, 11:10 AM
Are you sure that Max is going to win the starting job? Wondering what you had picked up, I took a look at his college football history. He was a Freshman at Florida during the 2013 season and didn't play. Since then he's played at a Jr. College until suffering an injury and the last 2 years at Houston Baptist where he saw only limited duty, particularly in 2016. As an FCS to FCS transfer, do you know how he is even eligible? He appeared in 4 games for FCS HBU during the 2016 season when he was listed as a Junior.

He was the best looking QB in the spring and all indications are if he can learn the offense he certainly has the arm to be an effective QB. The next option for the Bears is Belcher and he is a tough kid and can he run well but is limited in his throwing ability. As far as Staver goes I had someone message me on his past and it is similar to what you posted and that he has all the physical tools to be successful just hasn't found the right system. He approached Maine and Coen knowing they run a pro style offense and I think the staff likes what they have seen so far.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2017, 01:18 PM
Well, my guys, Cal Poly will be playing the Colgate Toothpastes late in August. The game will be carried by ESPNU nationally, but I'll be traveling the 300 miles north west to San Luis Obispo for this game.

This is not an important Conference game and Colgate is certainly not a traditional rival, or even a team likely to be rated higher than the Mustangs, but it will be a good chance to watch two teams from entirely different regions compete. Besides, I'm curious as to whether I'll actually be able to see the Colgate Team's teeth glow in the dark.

The next week after this game, Poly will play an important game against an FBS foe, San Jose State. While SJSU is FBS, Poly often recruits athletes also being recruited by SJSU. While the two schools are 185 miles apart, it's really just a quick 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip up Hwy 101, and a lot of Mustang fans will be in San Jose that day. San Jose State will be Cal Poly's shortest road game, and Poly has a great chance to win, with SJSU one of the lowest rated FBS teams this year. It should be a good game with San Jose State not being able to stop a rushing attack, and having an offense that cannot stop the pass rush, along with an inexperienced QB that has shown no flashes or brilliance.

love the match up, a game I will put on the calender

KPSUL
June 23rd, 2017, 05:01 PM
He was the best looking QB in the spring and all indications are if he can learn the offense he certainly has the arm to be an effective QB. The next option for the Bears is Belcher and he is a tough kid and can he run well but is limited in his throwing ability. As far as Staver goes I had someone message me on his past and it is similar to what you posted and that he has all the physical tools to be successful just hasn't found the right system. He approached Maine and Coen knowing they run a pro style offense and I think the staff likes what they have seen so far.

Did they give him a full scholarship? He was a 4 star recruit as a HS Senior so he must have raw talent, but I huge disappoint to not really nail down the starting job at a less than stellar FCS program at HBU. Are you sure he is eligible, I don't see how he could be eligible to play in 2017. When Jerrickson Fedrick transferred from Maine to NH he had to sit out one full season.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 23rd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Did they give him a full scholarship? He was a 4 star recruit as a HS Senior so he must have raw talent, but I huge disappoint to not really nail down the starting job at a less than stellar FCS program at HBU. Are you sure he is eligible, I don't see how he could be eligible to play in 2017. When Jerrickson Fedrick transferred from Maine to NH he had to sit out one full season.

Article on Maine's transfers. Doesn't indicate one way or another about eligibility or not but I can tell we are all hoping this is his last year xdrunkyx

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/1/20/football-adds-three-transfers.aspx?path=football

Gangtackle11
June 24th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Article on Maine's transfers. Doesn't indicate one way or another about eligibility or not but I can tell we are all hoping this is his last year xdrunkyx

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/1/20/football-adds-three-transfers.aspx?path=football

Article says he has 1 year of eligibility also says he played at HBU in 2015 & 2016.

ngineer
June 24th, 2017, 09:08 PM
That would be a great crowd. 12,500 Mountain Hawk fans could be intimidating. xpeacex

For Labor Day weekend, I'll be satisfied with 8,000. Shame it has to be that weekend.

RichH2
June 25th, 2017, 07:39 AM
For Labor Day weekend, I'll be satisfied with 8,000. Shame it has to be that weekend.
Labor Day is the next weekend.
A Sail would be great for Navy game.:)

malibudude
June 25th, 2017, 06:05 PM

You did ,however you get Troy instead...

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 25th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Article says he has 1 year of eligibility also says he played at HBU in 2015 & 2016.
Yes but doesn't say anything about sitting out a season KPSUL thought.

JSUSoutherner
June 25th, 2017, 08:26 PM
You did ,however you get Troy instead...
Actually, I don't. They're too scared of us.

chattownmocs
June 26th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Most anticipated opening game in years. I think 2 evenly matched teams. They have beaten us 4 straight games in heartbreaking fashion. They have had the mental edge. Then again we lost a lot of games like that under Huesman. It will be interesting to see if that continues under Arth. A loss would hurt him, a win would be even bigger in a good way.

jmufan999
June 26th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Then again we lost a lot of games like that under Huesman. It will be interesting to see if that continues under Arth. A loss would hurt him, a win would be even bigger in a good way.

hot take

JSUSoutherner
June 26th, 2017, 10:54 AM
hot take
How about a hot takeaway?

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

KPSUL
June 26th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Yes but it doesn't say which year he's eligible. Jerickson Federick was listed on the 2015 UNH roster even though he was not eligible to play.

ysubigred
June 26th, 2017, 03:13 PM
YSU opens @ Pitt. Not looking for a "W" but hopefully a healthy competitive game against the ACC Panthers xthumbsupx

ngineer
June 26th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Labor Day is the next weekend.
A Sail would be great for Navy game.:)

I am talking about this year's game with 'nova..September 2 is Labor Day weekend.

jmufan999
June 26th, 2017, 04:35 PM
How about a hot takeaway?

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CVfqDRvVEAAVtbB.mp4

very impressive!

cx500d
June 26th, 2017, 05:22 PM
hot take

That's like a Maddenism...."The team that scores the most points will probably win"

DirtyDukes
June 27th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Not sure if it's been listed here but JMU opened as a -3.5 favorite on 5 dimes against FBS East Carolina and the line moved to -5.5 shortly after.

TheRevSFA
June 27th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Well it's against SMU....so.....none.

BisonBacker
June 27th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Excited for the opener for tailgating only. The delta devils do nothing for me as a fan. Actually the first 5 games the only one that does anything for me is Eastern Washington.

POD Knows
June 27th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Excited for the opener for tailgating only. The delta devils do nothing for me as a fan. Actually the first 5 games the only one that does anything for me is Eastern Washington.Are you going to Cheney, "The Spot that God Forgot".

BisonBacker
June 27th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Are you going to Cheney, "The Spot that God Forgot".

I'd like to but I don't think I'll make it. I'll have to suffer through watching that **** red turf on tv most likely. Are you going?

Daytripper
June 27th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Are you going to Cheney, "The Spot that God Forgot".

I thought that was Beaumont, TX??

cx500d
June 27th, 2017, 09:51 PM
I thought that was Beaumont, TX??

He didn't forget it, thats where he put his outhouse.

I think Vermillion is worse than Cheney....At least Cheney is close to Spokane....What's Vermillion close to - Brookings?

Seawolf97
June 28th, 2017, 06:32 PM
We travel to Tampa and take on USF who could be a Top 20 or 25 team come September . The game has blowout written all over it .

KPSUL
June 28th, 2017, 07:35 PM
We travel to Tampa and take on USF who could be a Top 20 or 25 team come September . The game has blowout written all over it .

I don't think you'll beat them that bad!

Go...gate
June 28th, 2017, 08:58 PM

It will be an interesting game, though stylistically both teams like to run the ball. As someone pointed out in an earlier thread, the game could be finished in under two hours.