PDA

View Full Version : Is A&M-CC Ready for Some Football?

TexasTerror
July 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM
This is the most recent editorial about the outlook of the Islanders adding football to their program in Corpus Christi. Would be something and it would definitely help their cause if they were interested in getting into the SLC...
-------
Is Texas A&M-CC ready for some football?

Growing school considers adding program in future

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
July 10, 2005

Kyle Field. Texas Memorial Stadium. Buc Stadium. In a decade, these could be college football venues across the state.

While Kyle Field and Memorial Stadium are renowned as the home fields of Texas A&M and Texas respectively, Buc Stadium, a high school field, one day could play host to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi football. That's an early version of a plan that's at least five years from being enacted, if at all.

A&M-Corpus Christi president Flavius Killebrew announced in May that the university would consider adding a football program if the school hit the 10,000-student mark.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/islanders/article/0,1641,CCCT_820_3916900,00.html

buckp
July 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
"A&M-Corpus Christi president Flavius Killebrew announced in May that the university would consider adding a football program if the school hit the 10,000-student mark."

Wonder why the 10,000 mark? McNeese is only about 8,700 students.....

AgentOrange
July 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM
A college football prgram would be a good addition to the Corpus Christi area. But it might have its work cut out for it. Corpus has three minor league teams in hockey, arena football, and the new Hooks baseball team. High school football is king in the area, with five AAAAA teams in the immediate area.
I once had a stint in Corpus, and it's a beautiful town with some great people who would make it out to the games. I for one would welcome the addition, especially because the Southland could use another pigskin program.

Their basketball, tennis and baseball programs would make the conference that much stronger as well.

TxSt02
July 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I say it is a longshot.... the President just wants to be in a conference and I really talking things up right now. wouldn't you?

Sly Fox
July 15th, 2005, 10:33 PM
While the president may have ulterior motives, I wouldn't dismiss the Islanders from having football in the foreseeable future. Keep in mind, there were no athletics not that long ago. They have come a long way in a relatively short period of time. And the community would certainly support it. Just look at how well the Javelinas have done down in Kingsville despite being in the middle of nowhere.