PDA

View Full Version : End of TxSo Football, Athletics Nearing?

TexasTerror
January 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
$2M over budget for the athletic department...

Millions more needed immediately on campus just to get their act together (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19256)...

NCAA investigation in progress on the tennis team with that SWAC championship program currently suspended...

As unfortunate as it seems, Texas Southern is really in trouble as it relates to their athletic department. They plan to bring about changes and hopefully, doing so without rising the cost of tuition. Easy cut off the top? The athletic department. Stinks, right? But, for a university as cash-strapped as Texas Southern and in the midst of what you can't deny is a financial crisis, does athletics really have a place on this campus at this time?

How soon can this occur? Not sure. The Board of Regents has been given 30-45 days by the Texas Governor to get moving. As one state representative said in an interview with the ABC affiliate in Houston, "I think the best improvement is for the board of regents at TSU can make in 30 days is for them to pack up their stuff and go somewhere else. We'll just consider them absent."

There is a dire situation indeed and I think this is one that those of us in the FCS community should be aware about. I'm a proponent of keeping Texas Southern athletics. Obviously, there's a few SWAC folks and even Texas Southern people on this board who are even more adamant than I am, but unfortunately, the current tribulations may soon spell the end of Texas Southern athletics for the time being...

ButlerGSU
January 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
You really have to feel bad for a University in such a situation. G'luck getting everything worked out. : smh :

MplsBison
January 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
When you're school is less than a mile from the U of Houston and Rice, it must be tough.

gokats85
January 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
When you're school is less than a mile from the U of Houston and Rice, it must be tough.

It's not just that, TSU has been poorly managed for well over 20 years.

TexasTerror
January 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I don't see what this has got to do with anything...:confused:

Sly Fox
January 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I agree that TSU really doesn't compete for students with Rice or UH. Most of their students are looking for the HBCU experience. And to be honest, its a distinction I don't think they promote near enough.

I'd hate to see the athletic programs at TSU scaled back or dropped. But there has been so much mismanagement of funds over the years at the school it would be hard to argue with whatever the school decides is necessary. It would be a shame for all of the student athletes.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
The "HBCU experience"?

Go on...