PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Instant Replay

citdog
June 2nd, 2017, 08:51 PM
The rest of y'all need to get with the program.

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-notes-bulldogs-will-be-among-first-with-football-instant/article_4b5f9484-47bb-11e7-a083-8b186022d591.html

Southern Conference football will begin introducing instant replay during the 2017 season, the league announced Friday. And The Citadel will be among the first league schools to use instant replay.
The nine football-playing league members can opt in for instant replay in 2017, according to the league's announcement. All nine schools must have replay capability by the 2019 season.
Citadel athletic director Jim Senter said Friday the Bulldogs will have instant replay in 2017 for games at Johnson Hagood Stadium. It's unclear how many SoCon teams will have instant replay in 2017.

The decision speeds up the SoCon's timeline for instant replay a bit. Last year, SoCon athletic directors voted to put off adding instant replay until at least 2018.

KPSUL
June 2nd, 2017, 09:03 PM
The problem with replay officiating at the FCS level is that there are so few cameras recording most of the games there is seldom conclusive evidence to reverse any on-field call. It is a waste of time to stop play for 3 or 4 minutes when they always decide the call will stand.

walliver
June 2nd, 2017, 10:49 PM
Do you really think replay will help SoCon refs? They are more likely to screw up the replay call than mess up the original call.

I don't like replay at any level of play as it really disrupts the flow of the game. Even NFL replays, with supposedly the best refs in the game, take way too long.

TheKingpin28
June 2nd, 2017, 11:37 PM
Do you really think replay will help SoCon refs? They are more likely to screw up the replay call than mess up the original call.

I don't like replay at any level of play as it really disrupts the flow of the game. Even NFL replays, with supposedly the best refs in the game, take way too long.

We will trade our MVFC for you SoCon refs. There is nothing worse (outside the MEAC and SWAC, but do we consider them a part of the FCS after the whole Celebration Bowl deal) than the MVFC. They will stop plays for "phantom whistles", PI when the ball is about 20 feet over their head, and magical penalties on players that are not even on the field.

However, good to see that more leagues are going with replay.

ElCid
June 2nd, 2017, 11:40 PM
About time.

ElCid
June 2nd, 2017, 11:43 PM

You just wouldn't want plays like the last play of the 2014 game reviewed. I know.:D

citdog
June 2nd, 2017, 11:47 PM
You just wouldn't want plays like the last play of the 2014 game reviewed. I know.:D

****ing SoCon Refs.....

That was a touchdown.

DoWe
June 3rd, 2017, 12:10 AM
Generally speaking I am a proponent of instant replay, but in the SoCon it will merely be an opportunity for the officials to make the wrong call twice.

walliver
June 3rd, 2017, 06:13 AM

With a limited camera setup, which is generally the case in FCS, plays like that would rarely be reversed. Even with pylon cams, the view of the ball and goalline is frequently obstructed.

Unfortunately, with SoCon refs, their greatest mistakes such as phantom pass interference and blatantly missed PI, are not reviewable.

catamount man
June 3rd, 2017, 06:28 AM
About time! GO CATS!

ElCid
June 3rd, 2017, 09:51 AM
With a limited camera setup, which is generally the case in FCS, plays like that would rarely be reversed. Even with pylon cams, the view of the ball and goalline is frequently obstructed.

Unfortunately, with SoCon refs, their greatest mistakes such as phantom pass interference and blatantly missed PI, are not reviewable.

You of course are correct on all points. Except it was a TD dangnubbit!xlolx

I foresee some real doozies regarding replay this fall. Now we can argue about the repay calls as well as the original ones.xthumbsupx

But I still have to say, I like it more than I dislike it. But ask me again in November.

FUBeAR
June 3rd, 2017, 10:26 AM
I believe Instant Replay would have corrected "The Worst Call in the History of College Football"

http://www.nationofblue.com/worst-call-in-the-history-of-college-football/

...so I'm 100% FOR it!

DoWe
June 3rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
I believe Instant Replay would have corrected "The Worst Call in the History of College Football"

http://www.nationofblue.com/worst-call-in-the-history-of-college-football/

...so I'm 100% FOR it!

That's a real gem there. Still, if they got it wrong the first time what's to stop them from getting it wrong again?

Bucs2016
June 3rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
Someone tell Citadel that this instant replay capability wont apply to the Civil War. Thats why they're so excited.

citdog
June 3rd, 2017, 04:16 PM
Someone tell Citadel that this instant replay capability wont apply to the Civil War. Thats why they're so excited.

Says the fella whose school wasn't even FOUNDED until 100 years after the close of the late war. It's not our fault that you have no history or tradition...

Bucs2016
June 3rd, 2017, 07:40 PM
Says the fella whose school wasn't even FOUNDED until 100 years after the close of the late war. It's not our fault that you have no history or tradition...

Yet....our football team has caught up to and surpassed you guys in our short 25 years of existing.

citdog
June 3rd, 2017, 07:53 PM
Yet....our football team has caught up to and surpassed you guys in our short 25 years of existing.

And less than 6 people even bother to show up to see you play...

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2017, 08:30 PM

Get Bear to post the play from Mercer's game against Tennessee Tech where everyone in the stands and both sidelines saw an incomplete pass except for the referee standing 10 feet from the play who called it a fumble.

EDIT: He already did.

Double edit: Still have to play to the whistle.

youcanbankit
June 3rd, 2017, 10:00 PM
Definitely for instant replay and I think the SoCon has adopted it for coming years......I think.

I don't think camera coverage will be where it needs to be the first year or two, but would definitely support having it.

Bucs2016
June 3rd, 2017, 10:19 PM
And less than 6 people even bother to show up to see you play...

Those that did watch us whip you guys

citdog
June 3rd, 2017, 10:21 PM
Those that did watch us whip you guys

Hell you had to bring in seats just for the demand to see The 'Dogs. Nobody was there to see ladson southern. We'll see you at The General EVERY time we allow you to play us.

FUBeAR
June 4th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Get Bear to post the play from Mercer's game against Tennessee Tech where everyone in the stands and both sidelines saw an incomplete pass except for the referee standing 10 feet from the play who called it a fumble.

EDIT: He already did.

Double edit: Still have to play to the whistle.

Do you KNOW that "the whistle" WASN'T blown?

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Do you KNOW that "the whistle" WASN'T blown?

Just using a phrase.

It was an awful call. Still, the defense kept playing.

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Hell you had to bring in seats just for the demand to see The 'Dogs. Nobody was there to see ladson southern. We'll see you at The General EVERY time we allow you to play us.

At least we can sell our stadium out. You guys are tearing down seats haha.

But Im happy we are playing all the games at Johnson Hagood now. Makes the drive to celebrate downtown much shorter!!!!

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Just using a phrase.

Im mad that yall took our DC. Your defense is about to get very very good against the triple option.

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 01:39 PM
At least we can sell our stadium out. You guys are tearing down seats haha.

But Im happy we are playing all the games at Johnson Hagood now. Makes the drive to celebrate downtown much shorter!!!!

Sure you can. Whenever the ncaa forces teams that actually have fans to come there.

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Sure you can. Whenever the ncaa forces teams that actually have fans to come there.

It ok. I get it. Y'all have never won on our field. I see why you hate it. Some might say we are to the Citadel as the Union was to Robert E. Lee.....yall started off so well, but now its all fallen apart vs the opponent to the North bahah!!

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 02:04 PM
It ok. I get it. Y'all have never won on our field. I see why you hate it. Some might say we are to the Citadel as the Union was to Robert E. Lee.....yall started off so well, but now its all fallen apart vs the opponent to the North bahah!!

Your smack is as weak as your conference. My advice? GET BETTER...

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Your smack is as weak as your conference. My advice? GET BETTER...

Same to yall if you want to beat us again.

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Same to yall if you want to beat us again.

See you next year in CHARLESTON.

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 02:13 PM
See you next year in CHARLESTON.

Yes! Cant wait to celebrate downtown! Hope Husk has reservations for that night!

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Yes! Cant wait to celebrate downtown! Hope Husk has reservations for that night!

Husk....you are so far down I-26 that you think that is actually a good restaurant...

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Husk....you are so far down I-26 that you think that is actually a good restaurant...

It is ranked as one of the top 100 restaurants in America by Forbes.

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
It is ranked as one of the top 100 restaurants in America by Forbes.

Doesn't mean it is any good. Hell ladson southern was ranked in football...

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Doesn't mean it is any good. Hell ladson southern was ranked in football...

You do have a point that Charleston has many restaurants with big rankings and accolades that dont match the mediocre food. The Wreck in Mt P for example. Supposedly best seafood in Charleston area but its not even as good as Gilligans. Same for that seafood place on Meeting Street the tourists are always at. Cant remember name. But you're insane if you dont think the burgers at Husk aren't a top 10 burger in America.

Yes Ladson Southern was ranked (and still should be).

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 03:02 PM
You do have a point that Charleston has many restaurants with big rankings and accolades that dont match the mediocre food. The Wreck in Mt P for example. Supposedly best seafood in Charleston area but its not even as good as Gilligans. Same for that seafood place on Meeting Street the tourists are always at. Cant remember name. But you're insane if you dont think the burgers at Husk aren't a top 10 burger in America.

Yes Ladson Southern was ranked (and still should be).

The best burgers in 'Merica are in Missoula, Mt.

Mo Club and Flippers...

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 03:17 PM

Mo Club and Flippers...

Never been. If im ever there ill give it a try. Just hope no mangy mutts try to hump my leg!!!!

cx500d
June 4th, 2017, 03:20 PM

Mo Club and Flippers...

I thought Missoula was full of vegans and granola eaters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucs2016
June 4th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Apparently they body slam journalists there! My kind of place!

citdog
June 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM

Nah Grizo moved.

FUBeAR
June 4th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Just using a phrase.

#7 on the defense was the only 1 who "kept playing" for the 3 seconds it took him to pick up the ball & jog 7 yards into the endzone. Watch again - you can even see a TTU Player (#38) signaling "incomplete pass."

McNeese72
June 5th, 2017, 09:19 AM
The rest of y'all need to get with the program.

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-notes-bulldogs-will-be-among-first-with-football-instant/article_4b5f9484-47bb-11e7-a083-8b186022d591.html

Southern Conference football will begin introducing instant replay during the 2017 season, the league announced Friday. And The Citadel will be among the first league schools to use instant replay.
The nine football-playing league members can opt in for instant replay in 2017, according to the league's announcement. All nine schools must have replay capability by the 2019 season.
Citadel athletic director Jim Senter said Friday the Bulldogs will have instant replay in 2017 for games at Johnson Hagood Stadium. It's unclear how many SoCon teams will have instant replay in 2017.

The decision speeds up the SoCon's timeline for instant replay a bit. Last year, SoCon athletic directors voted to put off adding instant replay until at least 2018.

The Southland Conference has had it at all stadiums for several years. And, I have grown to hate it. I think McNeese's winning percentage when it comes to plays under review is about 10%. Everytime there is a play under replay at a McNeese game, all of the McNeese fans are going like, "Here we go again". :(

Doc

Daytripper
June 5th, 2017, 11:30 AM
The Southland Conference has had it at all stadiums for several years. And, I have grown to hate it. I think McNeese's winning percentage when it comes to plays under review is about 10%. Everytime there is a play under replay at a McNeese game, all of the McNeese fans are going like, "Here we go again". :(

Doc

Sandbagger....xsmiley_wix