SWAC West

Grambling
Southern
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern
Arkansas-Pine Bluff

GAD
June 1st, 2017, 04:37 PM
Grambling is still going to be favored to win it all, Texas Southern will be much improved and Spady at AAMU is coaching for his job.

Daytripper
June 1st, 2017, 04:44 PM
Grambling is still going to be favored to win it all, Texas Southern will be much improved and Spady at AAMU is coaching for his job.

Prairie View has the facilities now. They are coming for the rest of you.

cx500d
June 1st, 2017, 05:19 PM
Oh great, we are opening against the worst team in the SWAC east....I feel like daytripper now.

SWAC East

Alcorn State
Jackson State
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Mississippi Valley State

SWAC West

Grambling
Southern
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern
Arkansas-Pine Bluff

GAD
June 1st, 2017, 05:27 PM
I'm not underestimating them, they have some strong ooc competition to help prepare them

ASU33
June 1st, 2017, 07:39 PM

Several coaches in the conference are coaching for their jobs. Should be an interesting year.

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 11:44 PM
Oh great, we are opening against the worst team in the SWAC east....I feel like daytripper now.

I may be wrong but I think Valley only offers 36-42 full-rides in football and still competes as an ncaa d-1 fcs member (a few recent years ago).

BisonTru
June 1st, 2017, 11:46 PM
I may be wrong but I think Valley only offers 36-42 full-rides in football and still competes as an ncaa d-1 fcs member (a few recent years ago).

Are talking 39 full rides + partials or 39 full rides if you combine them all?

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 11:49 PM

If it were that easy lol. It would be akin to saying that ACU is coming for all in the SLC lol.

Brand-name recognition still has clout and because of this, Grambling St and Southern are still the SWAC West heavyweights. Also, sTu's coach Haywood and staff are building a solid foundation for them. PVAMU has a lot of moving pieces right now. I seriously would not be surprised if we finish 4th or 5th in the SWAC West.

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 11:50 PM
Are talking 39 full rides + partials or 39 full rides if you combine them all?

I think it was 36-42 full-rides, Tru. I didn't see any #s reflecting partial athletic grants.

Daytripper
June 1st, 2017, 11:51 PM
If it were that easy lol. It would be akin to saying that ACU is coming for all in the SLC lol.

Brand-name recognition still has clout and because of this, Grambling St and Southern are still the SWAC West heavyweights. Also, sTu's coach Haywood and staff are building a solid foundation for them. PVAMU has a lot of moving pieces right now. I seriously would not be surprised if we finish 4th or 5th in the SWAC West.

Short term, no impact. Long term, recruiting will improve dramatically. Kids want to work out and play in nice facilities.

BisonTru
June 1st, 2017, 11:56 PM
I think it was 36-42 full-rides, Tru. I didn't see any #s reflecting partial athletic grants.

Gotcha. 42 fulls +42 halves would be pretty close to full scholarship allotment allowed. Although many FCS teams are well below the 63 max.

Bring on the Devils. Maybe Clenzy will come up for this one. xthumbsupx

ASU33
June 2nd, 2017, 01:31 PM

Texas Southern worries me. Haywood has been quietly stacking that Texas Southern roster full of local Houston area talent that have transferred from FBS schools.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2017, 02:41 PM
Texas Southern worries me. Haywood has been quietly stacking that Texas Southern roster full of local Houston area talent that have transferred from FBS schools.

+1. I knew he'd change the culture and overall status (competitive play) when he arrived. We were hoping to land him a few ago.

Most PV fans are quite delusional, imho. All they see is a current semi-wave of the last 2 years of momentum that PV is riding, w/ another staff's recruits. xreadx This is year #3 in the Simmons regime and the truth will be highly evident since a majority of the previous regime's recruits are gone/graduated. The impeccable truth will be shown in game#1 vs Texas Southern University (their 2nd game post the game vs FAMU). Afterwards, a 60+ point shellacking @ the hands of Sam Houston St awaits in game #2. I have PV going 0-3 vs the SLC schools this fall(SHSU, IWU, and Nicholls St). I hope I'm wrong but that's how I view it, considering the # of roster changes we have.

ASU33
June 2nd, 2017, 03:19 PM
+1. I knew he'd change the culture and overall status (competitive play) when he arrived. We were hoping to land him a few ago.

Most PV fans are quite delusional, imho. All they see is a current semi-wave of the last 2 years of momentum that PV is riding, w/ another staff's recruits. xreadx This is year #3 in the Simmons regime and the truth will be highly evident since a majority of the previous regime's recruits are gone/graduated. The impeccable truth will be shown in game#1 vs Texas Southern University (their 2nd game post the game vs FAMU). Afterwards, a 60+ point shellacking @ the hands of Sam Houston St awaits in game #2. I have PV going 0-3 vs the SLC schools this fall(SHSU, IWU, and Nicholls St). I hope I'm wrong but that's how I view it, considering the # of roster changes we have.

In Simmon's defense, he has recruited pretty well and PV has improved defensively which they were awful under Northern. I think the West will be a 4 team race with UAPB just being a seat filler.

Panther88
June 2nd, 2017, 05:13 PM
In Simmon's defense, he has recruited pretty well and PV has improved defensively which they were awful under Northern. I think the West will be a 4 team race with UAPB just being a seat filler.

PV recruited well, true enough. But... the OL/DL are ridiculously not where they should be, imho. Under coach Northern, we had a differing DC every....single.... year.... (politics xreadx )

number1
June 3rd, 2017, 11:44 PM
We're watching PV, but our facilities can get the job done too. They may not be new and shiny like PV, but they are still good enough to keep us in the discussion. lol

number1
June 3rd, 2017, 11:51 PM
Shouldn't be too surprised by that, they've been in that position for quite some time.

ASU33
June 5th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Shouldn't be too surprised by that, they've been in that position for quite some time.

Valley has been Very bad for the better part of the last decade.

GAD
June 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Comegy is a good coach but until they add some scholarships MVSU will struggle.

Panther88
June 5th, 2017, 12:22 PM
We're watching PV, but our facilities can get the job done too. They may not be new and shiny like PV, but they are still good enough to keep us in the discussion. lol

We stay watching SU and GSU while you all are watching us. lol The SWAC West championship ALWAYS goes through La north and south.

GAD
June 5th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Haywood is building over there, not sure if it would be an upset but they might win at FAMU.

number1
June 6th, 2017, 12:57 AM
Haywood is building over there, not sure if it would be an upset but they might win at FAMU.

Definitely wouldn't be an upset, I fully expect them to win that game.

Professor
June 7th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Conference will be decided at the Bayou

ASU33
June 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Conference will be decided at the Bayou

The West might be but Southern and Grambling aren't nearly as stout as they were a year ago. Hopefully the Eastern division will be better this year because we were all gawd awful a year ago.

Professor
June 8th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Your kidding. Grambling has a transfer from Bama plus the team is back minus the RB and WR from last yr. Grambling will steam roll the SWAC

ASU33
June 8th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Your kidding. Grambling has a transfer from Bama plus the team is back minus the RB and WR from last yr. Grambling will steam roll the SWAC

Grambling lost quite a few players. They lost Verland Hunter and Chad Williams their two top receivers, they lost 3 starters on an offensive line that was already shaky and they lost 7 defensive starters. No doubt they picked up some nice transfers and they've recruited well but I'm not ready just to hand them the trophy.