PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Running Backs in the FCS in 2017 - Craig Haley

nodak651
May 31st, 2017, 11:42 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-10-running-backs-fcs-2017

The write-up for each player is at the link above.

10. (tie) Anthony Philyaw, Howard (R-Sr., 6-1, 205)10. (tie) Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State (Sr., 5-11, 193)9. Lance Dunn, North Dakota State (R-Jr., 5-9, 210)8. Dom Bragalone, Lehigh (Jr., 5-11, 215)7. Deontez Thompson, Richmond (R-So., 6-0, 200)6. Corey Avery, Sam Houston State (Sr., 5-10, 190)5. John Santiago, North Dakota (Jr., 5-9, 180)4. Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina (Sr., 5-10, 210)3. Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, Albany (Jr., 5-9, 200)2. Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly (Sr., 6-0, 225)1. Chase Edmonds, Fordham (Sr., 5-9, 210)

LUHawker
May 31st, 2017, 11:44 AM
Two Patriot Leaguers in here and both legit!

nodak651
May 31st, 2017, 11:46 AM
It will be interesting to see how Santiago is used this year. UND has 4 really good backs. The return of Elijah Grady on the OL should help his numbers, but I don't think he'll see as many touches as he did last year or the year before, unless they split him off to play some more WR.

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 11:47 AM
I'd put Bruuuuuuuce Anderson in for Lance Dunn but that is just me.

Otherwise the top 5 is solid but Protheroe has a solid argument to be #1 instead of Edmonds but I am not complaining as Edmonds has a solid argument for the #1 as well.

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2017, 11:48 AM
Lance Dunn is probably not even the best RB on NDSU...might even be 3rd.

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2017, 11:48 AM
I'd put Bruuuuuuuce Anderson in for Lance Dunn but that is just me.

Otherwise the top 5 is solid but Protheroe has a solid argument to be #1 instead of Edmonds but I am not complaining as Edmonds has a solid argument for the #1 as well.

No RB this year for NDSU is going to put up HUGE #s....might even break the streak of 1k rushing seasons. They could roll 5 guys if they wanted to.

Daytripper
May 31st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Corey Avery has had trouble staying healthy. If he gets hurt keep an eye out for the name Remus Bulmer. I believe he was our leading rusher last season.

clenz
May 31st, 2017, 12:19 PM
How the **** does Chase still have eligibility?

Isn't he 47?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 31st, 2017, 12:28 PM

Isn't he 47?

Same thought when I saw the list. xlolx

ST_Lawson
May 31st, 2017, 12:28 PM
So....no mention of the top returning RB in the MVFC (in YPG)...WIU's Steve McShane? (wait...I take that back...he's way down at the bottom of the "more RBs to watch" section)
As a sophomore, he put up 83.4 yards per game on a team that had the #1 and #3 most productive receivers in Western history. Both of those receivers are gone and all indications are that we will be much more of a run-based team this year...with McShane as the "headliner" of that run game.

I'm not saying he's going to put up Chase Edmonds-type numbers, but I think he's definitely top-10 material this year.

citdog
May 31st, 2017, 12:30 PM
No Cam Jackson? Not a legit list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UevE9cwNTro

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 12:39 PM
No RB this year for NDSU is going to put up HUGE #s....might even break the streak of 1k rushing seasons. They could roll 5 guys if they wanted to.

Agreed but if they were going to pick an NDSU RB then it should be Bruuuuuce.

POD Knows
May 31st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Lance Dunn from NDSU is on this list because of "program" rep. Good RB but not top ten.

UNIFanSince1983
May 31st, 2017, 01:13 PM
So....no mention of the top returning RB in the MVFC (in YPG)...WIU's Steve McShane? (wait...I take that back...he's way down at the bottom of the "more RBs to watch" section)
As a sophomore, he put up 83.4 yards per game on a team that had the #1 and #3 most productive receivers in Western history. Both of those receivers are gone and all indications are that we will be much more of a run-based team this year...with McShane as the "headliner" of that run game.

I'm not saying he's going to put up Chase Edmonds-type numbers, but I think he's definitely top-10 material this year.

I mean it could be a little chicken and egg sort of thing. Did McShane put up those numbers in spite of the receivers or because of the receivers? I guess we will find out when he is the only show in town this year.

ElCid
May 31st, 2017, 01:18 PM

His run late in game against Samford last year should have been enough to include him. It was epic. I think him missing a few games late last year may have hurt his visibility a bit.

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2017, 01:22 PM
Agreed but if they were going to pick an NDSU RB then it should be Bruuuuuce.

Lance Dunn from NDSU is on this list because of "program" rep. Good RB but not top ten.

This and this. Someone looked at a depth chart or just assumed Lance was going to be the feature back....proceeded to slot him in. I was REALLY high on Lance coming into NDSU, but he really needs to have a breakthrough year.

ST_Lawson
May 31st, 2017, 01:36 PM
I mean it could be a little chicken and egg sort of thing. Did McShane put up those numbers in spite of the receivers or because of the receivers? I guess we will find out when he is the only show in town this year.

Fair enough.

UNIFanSince1983
May 31st, 2017, 01:38 PM
Fair enough.

I mean I don't know enough about him to know for sure so I will defer to you on that. Was just saying a running back can look better when the passing game is so potent because the defense focuses on shutting down the passing game.

Iridebikes
May 31st, 2017, 01:40 PM

10. (tie) Anthony Philyaw, Howard (R-Sr., 6-1, 205)

10. (tie) Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State (Sr., 5-11, 193)

9. Lance Dunn, North Dakota State (R-Jr., 5-9, 210)

8. Dom Bragalone, Lehigh (Jr., 5-11, 215)

7. Deontez Thompson, Richmond (R-So., 6-0, 200)

6. Corey Avery, Sam Houston State (Sr., 5-10, 190)

5. John Santiago, North Dakota (Jr., 5-9, 180)

4. Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina (Sr., 5-10, 210)

3. Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, Albany (Jr., 5-9, 200)

2. Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly (Sr., 6-0, 225)

1. Chase Edmonds, Fordham (Sr., 5-9, 210)

EWU will get to see how the run defense is progressing. We have games against 3 of the top 5 back listed.

ST_Lawson
May 31st, 2017, 01:46 PM
I mean I don't know enough about him to know for sure so I will defer to you on that. Was just saying a running back can look better when the passing game is so potent because the defense focuses on shutting down the passing game.

Right, I got what you were saying....using the passing game to set up the run...sometimes makes a RB look better than he actually is.
That is the question this year.

Also, he put up large portions of those numbers against non-MVFC teams (155 yards and 2 TDs against Northern Arizona, 207 yards and 2 TDs against Eastern Illinois), so that's another question mark...is it that he's that good, or is it that he exploded in a few games against really bad defenses.

I honestly don't know the answer either, but I think he's worth being in the conversation at least.

citdog
May 31st, 2017, 01:47 PM
His run late in game against Samford last year should have been enough to include him. It was epic. I think him missing a few games late last year may have hurt his visibility a bit.

For those that haven't seen it 1:25mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrKnzh0huU

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 01:48 PM
This and this. Someone looked at a depth chart or just assumed Lance was going to be the feature back....proceeded to slot him in. I was REALLY high on Lance coming into NDSU, but he really needs to have a breakthrough year.

If Stick plays like he did last year, he will have his chance, but with Purifoy pushing last season and Brooks finally getting a chance, they need to bring back the Veer. Stick is athletic but the Veer with Anderson, Purifoy, Brooks, and Dunn in the back field with Malstrom and Robbins available to run a wishbone set, I am telling you, no one would stop that run game. It is not that Stick cannot throw, but he is a better runner and if they truly want to use is talents, they should bring in some Veer and Wishbone packages.

Bucs2016
May 31st, 2017, 01:49 PM

I was about to mention him too. Hell of running back.

F'N Hawks
May 31st, 2017, 01:50 PM
If Stick plays like he did last year, he will have his chance, but with Purifoy pushing last season and Brooks finally getting a chance, they need to bring back the Veer. Stick is athletic but the Veer with Anderson, Purifoy, Brooks, and Dunn in the back field with Malstrom and Robbins available to run a wishbone set, I am telling you, no one would stop that run game. It is not that Stick cannot throw, but he is a better runner and if they truly want to use is talents, they should bring in some Veer and Wishbone packages.

UND would, they always do.

Stay with what you got, IMO it seems to be working. :D

F'N Hawks
May 31st, 2017, 01:54 PM
Re: Cam Jackson: Taking the pitch and running untouched through the alley doesn't show me much, I guess. xconfusedx How many RB's could do that exact same thing? Would need to see more I think.

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 02:10 PM
I can see it now from L to R (Wishbone #1 Power)

Illies/Jenson (TE)--Conner/Radunz (LT)--Kuhnert (LG)--Volson (C)--Ziemer (RG)--Bacon (RT)--Wentz/Jenson (TE)
|
Stick (QB)
|
Robbins/Malstrom (FB)
|
/ \
Anderson---Dunn (RB X2)
Purifoy-----Brooks (RB X2)

(Wishbone #2 WR Option)

Urzendowski/Shepherd(WR)--------Wentz/Illies/Jenson (TE)--Conner/Radunz (LT)--Kuhnert (LG)--Volson (C)--Ziemer (RG)--Bacon (RT)
|
Stick (QB)
|
Robbins/Malstrom (FB)
|
/ \
Anderson---Dunn (RB X2)

(Veer WR Option)

Urzendowski/Shepherd(WR)--------Wentz/Jenson (TE)--Conner/Radunz (LT)--Kuhnert (LG)--Volson (C)--Ziemer (RG)--Bacon (RT)--Illies/Jenson (TE)
|
Stick (QB)
|
/ \
Anderson---Dunn (RB X2)

(Veer TE Option #1)

Wentz (TE)--Jenson (TE)--Conner/Radunz (LT)--Kuhnert (LG)--Volson (C)--Ziemer (RG)--Bacon (RT)--Illies (TE)
|
Stick (QB)
|
/ \
Anderson---Dunn (RB X2)

(Veer TE Option #2)

Wentz (TE)--Conner/Radunz (LT)--Kuhnert (LG)--Volson (C)--Ziemer (RG)--Bacon (RT)--Jenson (TE)--Illies (TE)
|
Stick (QB)
|
/ \
Anderson---Dunn (RB X2)

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 02:11 PM
UND would, they always do.

Stay with what you got, IMO it seems to be working. :D

Remind me how many national titles UND has versus NDSU in men's gridiron football? :D

FUBeAR
May 31st, 2017, 02:23 PM
Newsome from WCU is as good any. Love to see him operate behind a little better O-Line. Maybe the Cats will be better up front this year and he can really show out!

Cam Jackson deserves a spot on the list. Will be interesting to see how he does, now that Renew won't be 'eating' all of the carries (I hear it's looking like he's gonna be the starting FB for the Atlanta Falcons this year) that he absorbed in the past and with the Bellhops lack of any returning experience at Fullback. Might be better for his stats, not sure that will be better for El Cid's O though...

And...speaking of splitting carries - Mercer has Alex Lakes (All SoCon RB, 2014) returning - (hopefully, healthy). Tee Mitchell (All SoCon RB, 2015) is also returning (if reports I'm hearing are true...and I'm confident they are), after being out in 2016 due to non-football reasons; and CJ Leggett, RB transfer from Georgia Tech/Mesa CC, who was quite impressive in the Bear's Spring Scrimmage. All 3 of those, IMO, reside in the same 'neighborhood' as Newsome and Jackson and should serve well to take some pressure off of whatever 'never played a varsity snap' QB Mercer trots out there in 2017.

If you like teams that run the dang ball, you're gonna love the SoCon this year....well, except for the homewood hounds over in bama; they gonna sling it every play, as always.

ElCid
May 31st, 2017, 03:07 PM
Re: Cam Jackson: Taking the pitch and running untouched through the alley doesn't show me much, I guess. xconfusedx How many RB's could do that exact same thing? Would need to see more I think.

You watched the clip from the USC game? You are right but he has some legs. Outran the Lamecock secondary and made it look easy. Did you watch the clip from the Samford game above? He knows how to change direction and make things happen. I know there are others with flashier stats (it is hard being one of many runners in the backfield), but he is an athlete.

BEAR
May 31st, 2017, 03:16 PM
I'll throw in my vote for Carlos Blackman - sophomore.

Watch the first minute of this video and look at the hits he takes and how he just powers past them. If we use him this year to his potential he will be one of the leaders in the SLC. But I'm willing to bet we go RB by committee again. Sadly. This was one of his games last year as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd7SDy6-3TM

Check out the first part of this video of his high school games. Good lord he'd play great defense!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQS7-9Gjrvs

FUBeAR
May 31st, 2017, 03:17 PM

A little surprised that seeing a 6-2 205 FCS RB outrun an entire SEC Secondary doesn't show you much. Maybe the run at 1:28 on this clip is more interesting to you. I hate the Bellhops, but Cam Jackson is a heckuva RB in any conference in any division.

Sorry - didn't see that El Cid and citdog had already jumped in here before I posted... usually you can ignore anything one of those luggage toters says, but in this case, they're right.

Professor Chaos
May 31st, 2017, 03:19 PM
Lance had a pretty darn good year last year for a sophomore. 996 yards at 6.0 ypc although I'd agree that I wouldn't put put him as one of the top 10 backs in the nation right now. He had, and still will have, a pretty stellar O-line blocking for him. He needs to break more tackles IMO to become an elite RB.

I think he's likely to put up around 1000 yards again this season if he stays healthy but probably not much more because he'll share plenty of carries with Anderson and company but if he stays on track and puts up similar yardage numbers his junior and senior season he'll finish with around 3500 career rushing yards which would rank well within the top 10 all-time at NDSU.

Catamount87
May 31st, 2017, 03:20 PM
Detrez Newsome highlights from 2014-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-DugE_ksQ

POD Knows
May 31st, 2017, 03:22 PM
Lance had a pretty darn good year last year for a sophomore. 996 yards at 6.0 ypc although I'd agree that I wouldn't put put him as one of the top 10 backs in the nation right now. He had, and still will have, a pretty stellar O-line blocking for him. He needs to break more tackles IMO to become an elite RB.

I think he's likely to put up around 1000 yards again this season if he stays healthy but probably not much more because he'll share plenty of carries with Anderson and company but if he stays on track and puts up similar yardage numbers his junior and senior season he'll finish with around 3500 career rushing yards which would rank well within the top 10 all-time at NDSU.For some reason, a lot of the Bison running backs have a hard time running through shoe string tackles. It is kinda weird.

TheKingpin28
May 31st, 2017, 03:42 PM
For some reason, a lot of the Bison running backs have a hard time running through shoe string tackles. It is kinda weird.

When you run for the following per game

5.7 (2016)
5.0 (2015)
5.2 (2014)
5.9 (2013)
4.7 (2012)
4.9 (2011)

5.23 (Average)

it is not too big of deal to break tackles. It is weird since it seems like since Crockett the Rocket and Norton, most RBs have had issues with breaking tackles. Ojuri was good but at times he got too fancy.

citdog
May 31st, 2017, 04:03 PM
A little surprised that seeing a 6-2 205 FCS RB outrun an entire SEC Secondary doesn't show you much. Maybe the run at 1:28 on this clip is more interesting to you. I hate the Bellhops, but Cam Jackson is a heckuva RB in any conference in any division.

Sorry - didn't see that El Cid and citdog had already jumped in here before I posted... usually you can ignore anything one of those luggage toters says, but in this case, they're right.

furman sucks

JSUSoutherner
May 31st, 2017, 04:05 PM
If Roc stays healthy this year, look out.

ElCid
May 31st, 2017, 04:28 PM

See if your luggage shows up in your room.

F'N Hawks
May 31st, 2017, 04:38 PM
You watched the clip from the USC game? You are right but he has some legs. Outran the Lamecock secondary and made it look easy. Did you watch the clip from the Samford game above? He knows how to change direction and make things happen. I know there are others with flashier stats (it is hard being one of many runners in the backfield), but he is an athlete.

I watched the first five clips from the video posted. He ran straight up the field and might have cut once. Probably more highlights out there, yes.

ElCid
May 31st, 2017, 06:05 PM
I watched the first five clips from the video posted. He ran straight up the field and might have cut once. Probably more highlights out there, yes.

The highlights from the Samford game, right above, at 1:28. He really is good. Has a head on his shoulders. He was hurt late last year and missed a couple games so his stats are not sexy. Plus, like I said, he has to compete with 3 other runners for ball time.

Bucs2016
May 31st, 2017, 06:47 PM

Ill second that one. He and the Deangelo Henderson kid from Coastal both could've started at South Carolina the last 2 seasons.

caribbeanhen
May 31st, 2017, 07:37 PM
Wes Hills has been injury prone to put it mildly but he was averaging about 8 yards a carry last year until he got hurt..... big oversight.

88 carries for 728 yards, against Defenses that were stacked to stop the run knowing Delaware couldn't pass gas

Fordham
May 31st, 2017, 07:56 PM

Isn't he 47?

Ha!

youcanbankit
May 31st, 2017, 11:32 PM
Not top ten, but a running back to watch....Trey'von Paulk. Tennessee Volunteer via Hutchinson JC via transfer now at Samford. The guy has skill.

10. (tie) Anthony Philyaw, Howard (R-Sr., 6-1, 205)

10. (tie) Roc Thomas, Jacksonville State (Sr., 5-11, 193)

9. Lance Dunn, North Dakota State (R-Jr., 5-9, 210)

8. Dom Bragalone, Lehigh (Jr., 5-11, 215)

7. Deontez Thompson, Richmond (R-So., 6-0, 200)

6. Corey Avery, Sam Houston State (Sr., 5-10, 190)

5. John Santiago, North Dakota (Jr., 5-9, 180)

4. Detrez Newsome, Western Carolina (Sr., 5-10, 210)

3. Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, Albany (Jr., 5-9, 200)

2. Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly (Sr., 6-0, 225)

1. Chase Edmonds, Fordham (Sr., 5-9, 210)

FUBeAR
May 31st, 2017, 11:37 PM
Not top ten, but a running back to watch....Trey'von Paulk. Tennessee Volunteer via Hutchinson JC via transfer now at Samford. The guy has skill.

watched him since he was a 6th grader. Still waiting for him to live up to his Rep. Talented, but...

youcanbankit
May 31st, 2017, 11:41 PM
Too early to say, but spring practices and games, he looks really good. Revamped OL part of him looking so good as well.

watched him since he was a 6th grader. Still waiting for him to live up to his Rep. Talented, but...

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 10:21 AM
Corey Avery has had trouble staying healthy. If he gets hurt keep an eye out for the name Remus Bulmer. I believe he was our leading rusher last season.

I'd think multi-talented Javin Webb would figure in, somehow. He's very gifted and I don't see him being on the sidelines in a backup role.

Daytripper
June 1st, 2017, 10:55 AM
I'd think multi-talented Javin Webb would figure in, somehow. He's very gifted and I don't see him being on the sidelines in a backup role.

You are right, he is talented. I seem to remember him being hurt some of last season, as well.

jmufan999
June 1st, 2017, 10:58 AM
if Marcus Marshall stays healthy and gets the touches I believe he's going to get, he will absolutely be a top 10 guy.

Sammy94
June 1st, 2017, 11:41 AM
You are right, he is talented. I seem to remember him being hurt some of last season, as well.

All three (Avery, Bulmer, Webb) will see plenty of action as the offense moves to a more balanced focus.

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 12:48 PM
All three (Avery, Bulmer, Webb) will see plenty of action as the offense moves to a more balanced focus.

I can see that for sure. W/ all world Mr Briscoe and backup Mr Griffin in tow w/ a heralded class of WRs and ginormous all-world TE, I don't see how the O couldn't click constantly, unless... [the power that makes the whole thing go]-------> the OL. The whole nucleus of the offense. How are they? I thought I read where 3 of 5 were being replaced. Is that accurate?

Daytripper
June 1st, 2017, 01:10 PM
I can see that for sure. W/ all world Mr Briscoe and backup Mr Griffin in tow w/ a heralded class of WRs and ginormous all-world TE, I don't see how the O couldn't click constantly, unless... [the power that makes the whole thing go]-------> the OL. The whole nucleus of the offense. How are they? I thought I read where 3 of 5 were being replaced. Is that accurate?

This sounds accurate, but all of the new "starters' have plenty of experience. Because we ran so many offensive plays last season, there was a significant amount of rotation in the offensive line. I think the Oline will be just fine.

Panther88
June 1st, 2017, 01:52 PM
This sounds accurate, but all of the new "starters' have plenty of experience. Because we ran so many offensive plays last season, there was a significant amount of rotation in the offensive line. I think the Oline will be just fine.

Understood. Looking forward to seeing them doing their thing. I tend to watch trench play rather than where the ball is going or isn't going. I'm pro-big nastees upfront lol.

Sammy94
June 1st, 2017, 04:57 PM

We also picked up O-line help from Fresno St. and TCU. The O-line will once again be good if not better.

http://www.gobulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=782

http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/11/16/13652994/tcu-ty-barrett-set-to-transfer

slostang
June 1st, 2017, 08:14 PM
I expect a big year from Cal Poly Slot Back Kyle Lewis (6'0" 210 SR). He averaged 9.7 yards per carry on 61 carries and caught 22 passes for a 17 yard average in 2016. He will most likely more than double his carries replacing Kori Garcia as Cal Poly's #1 SB. He runs under 10.5 in the 100 meters. The kid can flat out fly. I imagine most defenses will concentrate on stopping Protheroe which should open up the outside for Lewis.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 1st, 2017, 08:22 PM
Deontez Thompson is underrated at #7.

cx500d
June 1st, 2017, 10:03 PM
It will be interesting to see how Santiago is used this year. UND has 4 really good backs. The return of Elijah Grady on the OL should help his numbers, but I don't think he'll see as many touches as he did last year or the year before, unless they split him off to play some more WR.

It seemed like towards the end of the season there was a different running back that was making most of the yards, not Santiago. I thought he was Canadian if I remember right, but I don't remember his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyDukes
June 2nd, 2017, 08:47 AM
I'd wager that either of our starting backs will be in the top 10 list at the end of the season. Cardon Johnson destroyed last year even with a foot injury and Marcus Marshall was Georgia Tech's leading rusher the past two years.

F'N Hawks
June 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
It seemed like towards the end of the season there was a different running back that was making most of the yards, not Santiago. I thought he was Canadian if I remember right, but I don't remember his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was Brady Oliveira. UND will be playing 3 running backs every game so there is only a small chance that Santiago ends up on an All-American team as a running back. Would be as an all-purpose guy again, like last season.

nodak651
June 2nd, 2017, 01:54 PM

Was Brady Oliveira. UND will be playing 3 running backs every game so there is only a small chance that Santiago ends up on an All-American team as a running back. Would be as an all-purpose guy again, like last season.

Yeah, the line wasn't that great last year and Oliveira, as a bigger back, was very important. The guys is a beast.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25141&stc=1

cx500d
June 2nd, 2017, 05:32 PM
Is Oliveira coming back? Seemed he came on strong part way through the season. If he's still eligible, you guys are pretty loaded at RB.

nodak651
June 2nd, 2017, 05:38 PM
Is Oliveira coming back? Seemed he came on strong part way through the season. If he's still eligible, you guys are pretty loaded at RB.

Yeah, him and Santiago are both only going to be Juniors. I feel Kind of bad for Austin Gordon now that Johannesson (sophomore) is on the team now too. Austin Gordon could be a starter for a lot of teams, imo.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 4th, 2017, 02:24 PM
If Lance Dunn (NDSU) stays healthy, he will easily get over 1K yards this year. If he can get 18-23 rushing attempts, he will get it IMO. He ran hard towards the end of the season last year. Watching him at USD, he ran hard and had over 10 yards/carry IIRC.

F'N Hawks
June 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM
If Lance Dunn (NDSU) stays healthy, he will easily get over 1K yards this year. If he can get 18-23 rushing attempts, he will get it IMO. He ran hard towards the end of the season last year. Watching him at USD, he ran hard and had over 10 yards/carry IIRC.

He is your best back. Very good player.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 4th, 2017, 03:07 PM

I'm sure the coaches will go RB by committee this year with Dunn, Anderson and whomever gets the #3 RB position. I don't think they will do a John Crockett, where he carried the load for 2 years but hopefully Lance can get in the 20 carry/game because he is good. I agree that he is our best RB.

Gangtackle11
June 4th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Villanova will be running back by committee led by powerful inside runner Jr. Aaron Forbes, scatback Sr. Matt Gudzak, & promising RS frosh Justin Covington. Also have incoming frosh Damone Drew who had a few FBS offers where coaches were changed.

Throw in that Jr. QB Zach Bednarczyk has above average wheels adds up to a lot of Villanova's offense will be on the ground.

TheKingpin28
June 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Bruuuuuce

TheKingpin28
June 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
I'm sure the coaches will go RB by committee this year with Dunn, Anderson and whomever gets the #3 RB position. I don't think they will do a John Crockett, where he carried the load for 2 years but hopefully Lance can get in the 20 carry/game because he is good. I agree that he is our best RB.

The problem with Dunn, Anderson, and Brooks is that Stick regressed which means Anderson will probably cut into Dunn's role, since they will need a bruiser to break tackles. Now if they bring back the Veer, that would do wonders for the offense or have Stick go back to his rFR year. I see a collective 3000yd season for the offense if Stick cannot get his passing game back. Now if he can, I could see that number closer to 3750yd due to the box not being consistently stacked.

DFW HOYA
June 4th, 2017, 03:43 PM
A ground game remains foreign to Georgetown, but maybe that's a result of a longstanding inability to recruit that position and maintain a healthy o-line.

In 2016, the the Hoyas averaged 74 yards per game and opposing teams teed off as a result. That's not likely to change in '17.

DallasSpider
June 4th, 2017, 06:38 PM
It will be interesting to see how many carries Deontez Thompson will get this year. We should have our original starter Gordon Collins and original #2 Xavier Goodall back from injury and in the limited games they both proved themselves more than capable of being a #1 back in this league.

Anthony215
June 5th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Villanova will be running back by committee led by powerful inside runner Jr. Aaron Forbes, scatback Sr. Matt Gudzak, & promising RS frosh Justin Covington. Also have incoming frosh Damone Drew who had a few FBS offers where coaches were changed.

Throw in that Jr. QB Zach Bednarczyk has above average wheels adds up to a lot of Villanova's offense will be on the ground.

How will Jarrett McClenton be used? Strictly as a WR or will he be still running a few plays per game as a RB??? His speed and shiftiness is a great asset for the Wildcats and I would think they'd try to get him as many touches as possible especially out in open space.

kdinva
June 10th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Turn Back the clock time......current VMI assistant Coach Tim Maypray, recently caught up with former VMI A-A Tommy Haskins........between the two, they combined for about 89,320 all purpose yards;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AZrNMXgAAT1vx.jpg

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Turn Back the clock time......current VMI assistant Coach Tim Maypray, recently caught up with former VMI A-A Tommy Haskins........between the two, they combined for about 89,320 all purpose yards;

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AZrNMXgAAT1vx.jpg

Haskins is one tough SOB. It looks like he has gotten taller since his playing days.

FUBeAR
June 10th, 2017, 02:11 PM

Impressive all-purpose yards number; that's 11,165 yds/season/man!
13,534 is the less exaggerated, but still quite impressive total (1,692 yds/season/man), in case anyone is keeping score at home...

But, while we're turning back the clock in LexVegas; I still prefer this guy as my favorite all-time favorite Keydet RB.

https://s8.postimg.org/ogexxf979/Floyd_Allen_VMI.jpg

Most Net Rushing Yards
Thomas Haskins..........5,349....................1993-96
Sean Mizzer..................3,733....................2 002-06
Floyd Allen....................3,569.................... 1978-81
Howard Abegesah.......2,860....................2006-09
Tony Scales ...................2,475....................1989-92
Tim Maypray.................2,456....................2 006-09

I couldn't get FU to offer him (Floyd was my HS Teammate). Coach Baker said, "We have all the 5-9 167 pound tailbacks we need."

Here's what he did his 1st game against FU...a 21-20 VMI win.

5th highest single game total rushing yards in VMI history 246 yds on 39 carries ...Floyd Allen vs. Furman, 1979

After the game, Coach Sheridan asked me why we didn't offer Floyd. I said, "Coach, he's just too darn small to play Running Back for Furman." He did not find my comment funny; not at all.