2) The Citadel
3) Chattanooga
4) Samford
5) Mercer
6) Furman
7) Western Carolina
8) ETSU
9) VMI

I hope WHEE prove some folks wrong. GO CATS!!!

ElCid
May 27th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I am going to have to take a close look over the next few weeks, but I think they got it wrong. Off the bat, I might switch us with Samford. Mercer and Furman also need to be switched. And as much as most in the conf would like ETSU to be good this fast (for the sake of the conf), it is still a work in progress and VMI is still better than they are by a bit.

Milktruck74
May 27th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I am going to have to take a close look over the next few weeks, but I think they got it wrong. Off the bat, I might switch us with Samford. Mercer and Furman also need to be switched. And as much as most in the conf would like ETSU to be good this fast (for the sake of the conf), it is still a work in progress and VMI is still better than they are by a bit.
THere was that one day that the Bucs were better than Samford.....That one time!!!!

SU DOG
May 27th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Kennesaw State, Western Carolina, AND yes SAMFORD.

ElCid
May 27th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Kennesaw State, Western Carolina, AND yes SAMFORD.

Yeah, 1 day. I do not think anyone with half a brain would think that ETSU is or was better than Samford. I do like that they had some wins (just glad it wasn't us). But hey are obviously still a work in progress.

catamount man
May 29th, 2017, 07:20 AM
I wonder if Wofford does win the SoCon this season if Ayers just doesn't go ahead and retire? This will be his 30th year in sparkle city. GO CATS!!!

walliver
May 29th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I wonder if Wofford does win the SoCon this season if Ayers just doesn't go ahead and retire? This will be his 30th year in sparkle city. GO CATS!!!

Unfortunately, that is the rumor that is being whispered around campus. Hopefully, he will stay a few more years - if that is what he wants to do. Although I've heard he expects more than just a SoCon championship.

catamount man
May 29th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, that is the rumor that is being whispered around campus. Hopefully, he will stay a few more years - if that is what he wants to do. Although I've heard he expects more than just a SoCon championship. Ayers has always been a class act and has ran Wofford to be a class act. When he does hang it up, it will be felt all across the SoCon and FCS.

citdog
May 29th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, that is the rumor that is being whispered around campus. Hopefully, he will stay a few more years - if that is what he wants to do. Although I've heard he expects more than just a SoCon championship.

Whisper on that tiny campus and everyone can hear it.

catamount man
May 31st, 2017, 07:44 PM
Whisper on that tiny campus and everyone can hear it. Not to take this off subject CIT but have you heard from anyone in Charleston how Don Powers is doing? Last I'd heard, not so good and I had forwarded an update to WCU's director of the Alumni Association to let certain folks know. I can forgive Coach Powers for his last stint as our DC in 06 and 07 but back in the day....coach's defenses in Cullowhee were sweet! Take care.

citdog
May 31st, 2017, 07:48 PM
Not to take this off subject CIT but have you heard from anyone in Charleston how Don Powers is doing? Last I'd heard, not so good and I had forwarded an update to WCU's director of the Alumni Association to let certain folks know. I can forgive Coach Powers for his last stint as our DC in 06 and 07 but back in the day....coach's defenses in Cullowhee were sweet! Take care.

Don Powers is a GREAT man and a fine Coach. Hope he gets better.

Catamount87
June 1st, 2017, 10:57 AM
Honestly, I really think we are the wildcard in the SoCon this year. It all depends on how quickly our new DC gets the defense organized, coached and playing to their ability. If he gets the men up to speed quickly, we won't be way down at number 7.

Last year was a bit of an anomaly with the talent we had. We saw an absolute collapse defensively because of a DC, his "system" that was so convoluted and his coaching it made no sense to anyone. There were early indications against ECU to open the season then a full collapse during the 2nd half against ETSU. From there the dumpster fire was on and burned heavily the rest of the season.

PaladinFan
June 1st, 2017, 11:22 AM
Honestly, I really think we are the wildcard in the SoCon this year. It all depends on how quickly our new DC gets the defense organized, coached and playing to their ability. If he gets the men up to speed quickly, we won't be way down at number 7.

Last year was a bit of an anomaly with the talent we had. We saw an absolute collapse defensively because of a DC, his "system" that was so convoluted and his coaching it made no sense to anyone. There were early indications against ECU to open the season then a full collapse during the 2nd half against ETSU. From there the dumpster fire was on and burned heavily the rest of the season.

WCU is a bit like Furman in that the new coaches are going to have to teach the players how to do things properly. If you have forgotten how to win, or play stout defense, you don't necessarily know how much harder you have to work to get there.

I understand that Furman's new coaching staff is showing the team videos of a full Paladin Stadium and Furman winning. I would expect most of the current players have no memory of Furman as a national football power. You have to get the players to understand what it takes to get to the next level, not just be satisfied with the current state of affairs.

walliver
June 1st, 2017, 02:15 PM
WCU is a bit like Furman in that the new coaches are going to have to teach the players how to do things properly. If you have forgotten how to win, or play stout defense, you don't necessarily know how much harder you have to work to get there.

I understand that Furman's new coaching staff is showing the team videos of a full Paladin Stadium and Furman winning. I would expect most of the current players have no memory of Furman as a national football power. You have to get the players to understand what it takes to get to the next level, not just be satisfied with the current state of affairs.

Are the tapes on Beta or VHS?:D

youcanbankit
June 1st, 2017, 03:10 PM
LOL...Black and white silent film....!:D

Are the tapes on Beta or VHS?:D

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2017, 05:26 AM
LOL...Black and white silent film....!:D

It wasn't THAT long ago.

I'll wait while your coaches uncover the Samford and Wofford films with home games averaging 13-15,000 fans. Better to have such games on VHS than to have never had them at all, I say.

Catamount87
June 2nd, 2017, 07:15 AM

I agree in a lot of ways. If WCU and Furman can both get up to speed quickly, it'll make 2017 a very interesting season in the SoCon and bring that much more parity to it.

They way I see it, we need to re-learn a lot of basics, primarily positioning. All too often last year our defenders were a half step out of position and appeared a bit unsure. That's something that had mostly be corrected in the a few seasons before leading to an improved defense in the two previous years. For Furman, depth and the mental aspect of winning might still be an issue. Another big question in Greenville will be if the fans start to return in good enough numbers. Y'all averaged just under 5,800 fans last year which was down just over 2,000 from 2014. Unfortunately, attendance has been falling in Greenville for years but I suspect 2017 will be an upswing, how much will depend of course on early success.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2017, 08:05 AM
I agree in a lot of ways. If WCU and Furman can both get up to speed quickly, it'll make 2017 a very interesting season in the SoCon and bring that much more parity to it.

They way I see it, we need to re-learn a lot of basics, primarily positioning. All too often last year our defenders were a half step out of position and appeared a bit unsure. That's something that had mostly be corrected in the a few seasons before leading to an improved defense in the two previous years. For Furman, depth and the mental aspect of winning might still be an issue. Another big question in Greenville will be if the fans start to return in good enough numbers. Y'all averaged just under 5,800 fans last year which was down just over 2,000 from 2014. Unfortunately, attendance has been falling in Greenville for years but I suspect 2017 will be an upswing, how much will depend of course on early success.

The product on the field the last few years has just been unacceptable. I think it is trite to "blame the coaches," but there are some instances when the team looked underprepared. Last year was a great example. Three times Furman had winnable games they let slip away (the Citadel, Mercer, Wofford) largely because of lack of execution and discipline at the end of halves. There were a couple of games the last few years (namely Kennesaw State this season, WCU last season, and Samford a few years ago) where the team looked like they just weren't interested in playing that day. I don't mind losing, but I am unwilling to accept a Furman team that just doesn't show up ready to play. I personally think that Bruce Fowler's tenure was essentially over (barring a late season miracle run) after the Kennesaw State debacle.

Realistically, Furman needs to recapture its fan base. The reason I am sitting here even writing this post is because when I was at Furman we were one of the top teams in the country year after year. Football was fun. It was an event. The team won a lot of games. There were some heated rivalries and great crowds. The fear I have is that a whole generation of Furman students (now alums) don't have that personal connection to the football program and, to some degree, the university.

2017, I think, will be a growing year. Furman lost a lot of seniors and had a number of players leave the program with the coaching change. The good news there is that it immediately allows Coach Hendrix to make a profound impact on what the program looks like, and who will not be saddled with the players from the prior administration. This is as hopeful as I've been about Furman football in some time.

citdog
June 2nd, 2017, 08:37 AM
furman sucks

youcanbankit
June 3rd, 2017, 10:04 PM
Touche'!!! LOL

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25145&stc=1

It wasn't THAT long ago.

I'll wait while your coaches uncover the Samford and Wofford films with home games averaging 13-15,000 fans. Better to have such games on VHS than to have never had them at all, I say.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 07:37 AM

Dustin Landry had no business being a DC at the I-AA level. NONE. Hopefully coach Wiley can get the D back on track. GO CATS!!!

Reign of Terrier
June 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM
It's still very weird to me that Wofford has been picked by 2-3 outlets to win the SoCon.

Never thought this would happen

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Got the rag today

1) Wofford
2) The Citadel
3) Chattanooga
4) Samford
5) Mercer
6) Furman
7) Western Carolina
8) ETSU
9) VMI

I hope WHEE prove some folks wrong. GO CATS!!!

1-5 all have a legit shot at winning the league.
*I'm impressed with what Mercer has done in a short time
* Hatcher seems to have the boys from Homewood rolling
*Chattanooga concerns me a little bit with the coaching change
*The Citadel has been ROLLING the past few years
*Mike Ayers seemed to have Wofford so close last year

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 11:34 AM
1-5 all have a legit shot at winning the league.
*I'm impressed with what Mercer has done in a short time
* Hatcher seems to have the boys from Homewood rolling
*Chattanooga concerns me a little bit with the coaching change
*The Citadel has been ROLLING the past few years
*Mike Ayers seemed to have Wofford so close last year

WCU was poised, I felt, to have a breakout 2016 but losing Troy Mitchell and 5 defensive coaches pretty much put the kabosh on that. If we can bounce back to a 6-7 win season in 2017 then all will be fine, if not, then I think Speir starts to get in some hot water. Not saying we'd can him, as his contract as of today is through June 2020, but the heat would be on to quote the late Glenn Frey.

Good luck to Alabama State in the SWAC. Always like watching the SWAC title game and the Celebration Bowl. GO CATS!!!

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 11:39 AM
It's still very weird to me that Wofford has been picked by 2-3 outlets to win the SoCon.

Never thought this would happen Why? You guys are loaded for bear in 2017. I did enjoy 2014 and 2015....and thought of you AND yer paw! LOL! Hope all is well. GO CATS!!!

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 12:03 PM
WCU was poised, I felt, to have a breakout 2016 but losing Troy Mitchell and 5 defensive coaches pretty much put the kabosh on that. If we can bounce back to a 6-7 win season in 2017 then all will be fine, if not, then I think Speir starts to get in some hot water. Not saying we'd can him, as his contract as of today is through June 2020, but the heat would be on to quote the late Glenn Frey.

Good luck to Alabama State in the SWAC. Always like watching the SWAC title game and the Celebration Bowl. GO CATS!!!
I felt like you guys were turning the corner but I didn't know about all of the attrition that you guys had on the staff. Hopefully this will be a bounce back year for you guys. Tyrie Adams is a special player and a helluva centerpiece for the offense.
As for us the goal is to get to Atlanta. Injuries have absolutely killed us these last two seasons. We lost our top two QBs at UTSA game #1 last year in a game we should've won. This year our schedule is brutal so we'll know exactly where we are as a team very early.

catamount man
June 10th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I felt like you guys were turning the corner but I didn't know about all of the attrition that you guys had on the staff. Hopefully this will be a bounce back year for you guys. Tyrie Adams is a special player and a helluva centerpiece for the offense.
As for us the goal is to get to Atlanta. Injuries have absolutely killed us these last two seasons. We lost our top two QBs at UTSA game #1 last year in a game we should've won. This year our schedule is brutal so we'll know exactly where we are as a team very early. How big is the ASU-Alabama A&M rivalry? I remember after the 2007 season when WCU offered the job to the A&M coach only for him to stay at A&M and we wound up with Dennis Wagner. Darryl Jones, I think? I was hoping we would land him but oh well. GO CATS!!!

ASU33
June 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM
How big is the ASU-Alabama A&M rivalry? I remember after the 2007 season when WCU offered the job to the A&M coach only for him to stay at A&M and we wound up with Dennis Wagner. Darryl Jones, I think? I was hoping we would land him but oh well. GO CATS!!!

Anthony Jones. The ASU-Alabama A&M IS HUGE and grown tremendously since we became conference mates back in 1998. The game is known as The Magic City Classic and is played in Birmingham. That weekend has about a $27million dollar economic impact on the city of Birmingham. It has grown into the largest attended game in FCS getting 65,000+ annually and another 50,000 or so in the tailgate area that never come inside the stadium. Tailgating for this game starts a week before the game. You get all of the celebrities and who's who in attendance for the game as well.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25205&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25206&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25207&stc=1