DB ROB ROLLE, VILLANOVA

K LANE CLARK, TSU
P IAN BERRYMAN, WCU
KR JOHN SANTIAGO, UND
PR KHRIS GARDIN, NCAT

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 20th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Lehigh #12 I like it!

Troy Pelletier should be 1st team WR over Watson...

ST_Lawson
May 20th, 2017, 12:18 PM
WIU at 19....I don't mind that for now.

Also, great that LB Brett Taylor is getting more attention. Hometown kid who is a beast on a pretty stacked LB group. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll meet and very smart in the classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centennial
May 20th, 2017, 12:23 PM
NDSU shouldn't be number 1 IMO. But then I am not sure if JMU should be 1. Too early to tell anything at all.

Also undies at 5. What?

RichH2
May 20th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Interesting. Love to see Lehigh at 12 but definitely a real reach. We will likely be in the top 10 in most offense stats but entire LB crew must be replaced. Even then the unit must improve to warrant a top 20 spot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 20th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Interesting. Love to see Lehigh at 12 but definitely a real reach. We will likely be in the top 10 in most offense stats but entire LB crew must be replaced. Even then the unit must improve to warrant a top 20 spot.

Don't you think this years team should be better than 2016? They finished 22nd last year iirc. Every team has holes. Relative to most teams in the Top 25 Lehigh is returning a ton of starters. Including a few key 5th year guys which rarely happens in the PL. I said the goal (ceiling) should be to finish in the Top 10.

I'll have them in the 15-20 range in the preseason AGS Poll.

Schism55
May 20th, 2017, 02:07 PM
UND at 5 is hilarious.
Athlon is the tmz of college football coverage imo

citdog
May 20th, 2017, 02:10 PM
le high at 12 xlolx

Touchdown New Hampshire!

RichH2
May 20th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Don't you think this years team should be better than 2016? They finished 22nd last year iirc. Every team has holes. Relative to most teams in the Top 25 Lehigh is returning a ton of starters. Including a few key 5th year guys which rarely happens in the PL. I said the goal (ceiling) should be to finish in the Top 10.

I'll have them in the 15-20 range in the preseason AGS Poll.
Agree on goal and that is attainable IF our DC can adequately fill the 4 LB slots. 2nd we have to improve drastically vs the run. The new 4-2-5 may help with that along with veteran Dlinemen.
Top 25 certainly reasonable preseason. Nova will determine whether we stay there.

youcanbankit
May 20th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Not a bad ranking. The all american list is a bit absurd. Does not represent the National talent of the FCS. Throw it out!

1. NDSU Should be at # 2-6
2. JMU - Call me old School - Disrespected the National Champion by moving them down to Number 2 until proven otherwise.
3. SDSU Looks good
4. SHSU - Definitely a top 10 team. Great QB. Not #1 for the pre-season.
5. UND - Little high. See them @ #10-20
6. EWU - Looks good
7. RICHMOND - Looks Good
8. VILLANOVA - Looks Good
9. JSU - Looks good.
10. WOFFORD - Ton of serious injuries recouping from. called Spring Practice off a day early. Schedule could be a problem for them, facing Furman and Mercer early. Both of those programs are getting better and will be top 30 by year end.
11. UNH - top 20 team, a little high for pre-season.
12. LEHIGH - top 25 team, a little high for pre-season.
13. UNI - OKay
14. YSU- Okay
15. UTC - Okay
16. CSU - Too high for preseason. A lot needs to happen to get them to a top 30 team by year end.
17. UCA - Top ten team pre-season.
18. SAMFORD - Addition of a running game to a top 3 passing attack and improved defense, makes me rank them in the top 10.
19. WIU - Okay see them as a #20-30 team.
20. ALBANY - Not top #30.
21. FORDHAM - Army, EWU and Lehigh round out their toughest opponents. So possible to have an 8 win season, but not schedule worthy otherwise.
22. CP - Okay on Cal-Poly
23. LIBERTY
24. MCNEESE
25. CITADEL - Way too Low. The cadets would outscore most of the teams ranked 10-24.

nodak651
May 20th, 2017, 03:10 PM
NDSU shouldn't be number 1 IMO. But then I am not sure if JMU should be 1. Too early to tell anything at all.

Also undies at 5. What?

UND at 5 is hilarious.
Athlon is the tmz of college football coverage imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZXu4Eje_o

citdog
May 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Lehigh #12 I like it!

Troy Pelletier should be 1st team WR over Watson...

actually NEITHER of them should be on it because they both play NOBODY...

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 20th, 2017, 06:12 PM
NDSU or JMU could/should be #1 in the preseason poll.

NDSU has a ton coming back, so I can see the #1 spot.

UND at #5 is probably a stretch but we'll see how that goes.

UNI to high IMO but they always have a ton of talent.

GodHelpTheBears
May 20th, 2017, 06:27 PM
The thing I love about UND being top 5 is that our guys may vault into the top 25 after beating them

ST_Lawson
May 20th, 2017, 06:32 PM
The thing I love about UND being top 5 is that our guys may vault into the top 25 after beating them

Outside of my own team winning their games, I think this is the result that I would most love to see happen.

BEAR
May 20th, 2017, 06:34 PM
UCA #17?

Way too low. Top 10 to top 12. IMO.

I thought they did pretty well against a talented EWU team in the playoffs and return most of their very talented defense. Offense is even better and should finally get off to a fast start in games. Don't judge them against the early season matchup against Kansas State though. Two games later its SHSU who took advantage of our weak pass defense last year. Should be better this year.

F'N Hawks
May 20th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Some extremely random MVFC hate on UND. Interesting.

Thumper 76
May 20th, 2017, 06:54 PM
The Richmond game left an impression. I would put them at 10ish myself. The one that really baffles me is UNI. Seriously what the hell are they ranked for? They should be 20+ IMO

youcanbankit
May 20th, 2017, 07:54 PM
IMO...You have to leave the National Champion at Number 1 until proven otherwise. AT least through week 1.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Bison over JMU? hmmmm, JMU clearly the better team on the road in December .... I guess the pain has eased since the CAA came to knocking in Fargo..... what a joke

Citadel 25.... must of lost the entire team

citdog
May 20th, 2017, 08:41 PM

Regardless of what the fans of the also rans in the SoCon would have you believe we did not. We have some new men who will play but I like the first three weeks of our schedule to get those men acclimated. The Citadel will win at least 8 games this year.

ST_Lawson
May 20th, 2017, 09:17 PM

I don't have any hate towards UND. Honestly I think they're a great addition to the summit and MVFC. I just think the reaction from some people around these parts would be hilarious.

Scrappy94
May 20th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Chattanooga is too low. A coaching and staff change does not necessarily mean a team is going to drop. We are actually returning the most starters this year than we have in the last 20 years. I was very impressed with how well and quickly the team has adapted to the coaching changes and the new play styles. They have really bought into Coach Arth and his philosophy, and look to be better than last year in my opinion. The team looked great in the spring game as well. I see us fitting in at 5-10 right now. I'm very impressed with Coach Arth and have no doubt he'll have us in the Top 10.

JSUSoutherner
May 20th, 2017, 10:35 PM
I definitely agree with where JSU is ranked. That's fair. I also agree with the JSU All-American selections though I have a suspicion we may sneak another one or two guys in on that list.

citdog
May 20th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Chattanooga is too low. A coaching and staff change does not necessarily mean a team is going to drop. We are actually returning the most starters this year than we have in the last 20 years. I was very impressed with how well and quickly the team has adapted to the coaching changes and the new play styles. They have really bought into Coach Arth and his philosophy, and look to be better than last year in my opinion. The team looked great in the spring game as well. I see us fitting in at 5-10 right now. I'm very impressed with Coach Arth and have no doubt he'll have us in the Top 10.

I might agree with you had you promoted from within. You did not. You have no idea whether this level is too big for Tom Arth. It has been for a great many...

Gangtackle11
May 21st, 2017, 07:03 AM
Bison over JMU? hmmmm, JMU clearly the better team on the road in December .... I guess the pain has eased since the CAA came to knocking in Fargo..... what a joke

Athlon home office in Fargo? JMU #1 until further notice.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2017, 07:05 AM
Regardless of what the fans of the also rans in the SoCon would have you believe we did not. We have some new men who will play but I like the first three weeks of our schedule to get those men acclimated. The Citadel will win at least 8 games this year.

Between graduation and attrition, The Citadel lost some of best players on both sides of the ball. So, those concerns aren't completely unfounded.

I think they'll be good, but the Citadel wasn't exactly running teams off the field last season either. They had 5 conference wins in 2016 where the difference was one score. They were not a team going out and beating everyone by two or three scores. A lot of their wins were squeakers.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 21st, 2017, 07:37 AM
Athlon home office in Fargo? JMU #1 until further notice.

I can see why NDSU might be #1, but I agree that the defending champ, if they have a good core coming back and not lost everyone, should be the preseason #1.

Milktruck74
May 21st, 2017, 08:09 AM
You are the Top Dog until somebody takes you out!!!! NDSU was there for a long run, then they got taken out. JMU is #1 until they are not!!!

smallcollegefbfan
May 21st, 2017, 08:17 AM
actually NEITHER of them should be on it because they both play NOBODY...

Ashland did not play as strong of a schedule as UTC did but their TE got drafted in 2nd round and nobody from UTC in the top 5 rounds, let alone top 100 like Ashland. There are players from SEC teams who have gotten drafted behind a Citadel player in the past. You can look at All-America as the same thing. You don't judge solely based on who they play but their ability. If a player in the NEC is clearly not that fast or not as good as a CAA or MVFC player then you don't rank them ahead of them but if a 6'3 WR from Duquesne is a 4.4 speed guy who dominates the NEC every week and has physical tools to clearly play a level above then I think you have to rank them. Harvard has had a lot of talented players who even go to the NFL and become starters so I don't think you can say a player can't play because he doesn't play a strong schedule.

I would not put the Lehigh WR on the 1st team right now but Watson of Penn is pretty good and deserves it. He may not end up there in postseason unless the new QB is really good though. I could see Watson attracting double teams this year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 21st, 2017, 08:19 AM

The magazines are probably dropping Citadel 10 spots or so because of Pinson and Delaney both gone early and the graduation of Floyd and others who were key players. I think The Citadel should at least be a top 15-18 team though. I would not drop them out of the top 20 and I think you could still argue top 12 right now.

ElCid
May 21st, 2017, 08:33 AM
The magazines are probably dropping Citadel 10 spots or so because of Pinson and Delaney both gone early and the graduation of Floyd and others who were key players. I think The Citadel should at least be a top 15-18 team though. I would not drop them out of the top 20 and I think you could still argue top 12 right now.

A pretty balanced evaluation that I very much agree with.

But, since it is a pet peeve of mine and not you, to be precise, they did not leave early. They graduated with their class on time in 4 years. xthumbsupx What they did not do, is stay longer. Yes, they had a year of eligibility, but they both graduated. Wish they could have stayed, but they have lives to live.

smallcollegefbfan
May 21st, 2017, 09:21 AM
A pretty balanced evaluation that I very much agree with.

But, since it is a pet peeve of mine and not you, to be precise, they did not leave early. They graduated with their class on time in 4 years. xthumbsupx What they did not do, is stay longer. Yes, they had a year of eligibility, but they both graduated. Wish they could have stayed, but they have lives to live.

Both could have stayed a year longer and one of them is playing college football this year. They left because they both wanted to play pro ball and felt they needed to transfer to help those opportunities.

The Citadel has had NFL players in the past so I don't see why they felt they needed to go. Delaney could have stayed and been the best CB in the SoCon but now he has gone to Miami. The only reason I believe he will start for sure is because they lost their starters to the NFL. He would have been their 3rd CB if he played there in 2016.

There was an article on Pinson wanting to play pro ball. If he has a well paying job waiting for him I see why but if that article was right and he wanted to play pro ball he should have stayed, gained weight, and put himself in position to have a legit shot to play in the pros.

ElCid
May 21st, 2017, 10:15 AM
Both could have stayed a year longer and one of them is playing college football this year. They left because they both wanted to play pro ball and felt they needed to transfer to help those opportunities.

The Citadel has had NFL players in the past so I don't see why they felt they needed to go. Delaney could have stayed and been the best CB in the SoCon but now he has gone to Miami. The only reason I believe he will start for sure is because they lost their starters to the NFL. He would have been their 3rd CB if he played there in 2016.

There was an article on Pinson wanting to play pro ball. If he has a well paying job waiting for him I see why but if that article was right and he wanted to play pro ball he should have stayed, gained weight, and put himself in position to have a legit shot to play in the pros.

All true and my selfish self wished they had stayed, but I can't fault them for wanting to move on. They both may have gotten different advice. I will not say right or wrong, but I agree with you on both. Time will tell. No way I could have stayed another year even if it was as a graduate student, 4 was enough. But my point was that they did both graduate on time.

clenz
May 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM
IMO...You have to leave the National Champion at Number 1 until proven otherwise. AT least through week 1.

Bull****

grizband
May 21st, 2017, 06:13 PM

Bull****
I completely agree, Clenz. There's nothing that dictates the champion from last year is the top team going into this season.

F'N Hawks
May 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM
The Richmond game left an impression. I would put them at 10ish myself. The one that really baffles me is UNI. Seriously what the hell are they ranked for? They should be 20+ IMO

I would slot UND at #10-12. Need to prove they can win a playoff game vs. a good team before high preseason rankings happen.

Gangtackle11
May 21st, 2017, 06:36 PM
I completely agree, Clenz. There's nothing that dictates the champion from last year is the top team going into this season.

True, but this one is. They won in Fargo & have a lot left. They have FBS transfers to fill some holes.

It pains me to say it as they will be a major obstacle for my 'Cats in the regular season & playoffs.

NDSU is probably right there with them as 1A, but for now it's JMU #1. Anything else is bulls***.

Scrappy94
May 21st, 2017, 07:20 PM
Ashland did not play as strong of a schedule as UTC did but their TE got drafted in 2nd round and nobody from UTC did. There are players from SEC teams who have gotten drafted behind a Citadel player in the past. You can look at All-America as the same thing. You don't judge solely based on who they play but their ability. If a player in the NEC is clearly not that fast or not as good as a CAA or MVFC player then you don't rank them ahead of them but if a 6'3 WR from Duquesne is a 4.4 speed guy who dominates the NEC every week and has physical tools to clearly play a level above then I think you have to rank them. Harvard has had a lot of talented players who even go to the NFL and become starters so I don't think you can say a player can't play because he doesn't play a strong schedule.

I would not put the Lehigh WR on the 1st team right now but Watson of Penn is pretty good and deserves it. He may not end up there in postseason unless the new QB is really good though. I could see Watson attracting double teams this year.

Actually UTC did have someone drafted. Corey Levin was drafted by the Tennessee Titans.

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2017, 07:54 PM
Actually UTC did have someone drafted. Corey Levin was drafted by the Tennessee Titans.
Should have had Kieonta Davis drafted too. Shame about his injury.

Scrappy94
May 21st, 2017, 07:59 PM

Yeah. Took me by surprise that he didn't get drafted after being in so many draft projections. Great guy. I'm sure he'll get a free agent deal once he's over the injury. That's his plan from what I've been hearing. I hope things work out for him.

caribbeanhen
May 21st, 2017, 08:01 PM
True, but this one is. They won in Fargo & have a lot left. They have FBS transfers to fill some holes.

It pains me to say it as they will be a major obstacle for my 'Cats in the regular season & playoffs.

NDSU is probably right there with them as 1A, but for now it's JMU #1. Anything else is bulls***.

the gang tackle nailed it....NDSU has done nothing this off season to vault over JMU .... especially after that beat down in the Dome.....

Re match in Virginia this time? would like to see how the Bison fare in a playoff game outside of the state of Frarsgo

youcanbankit
May 21st, 2017, 11:47 PM
Bull****

What propels any of these teams past JMU in the preseason poll? You got something or just expletives?

youcanbankit
May 21st, 2017, 11:49 PM
What data are you using to argue that JMU should not be number 1 for the preseason poll.?

grizband
May 21st, 2017, 11:52 PM
What data are you using to argue that JMU should not be number 1 for the preseason poll.?
I'm not arguing they shouldn't. I'm arguing the defending champion isn't always automatically the best team coming into a new season.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2017, 06:49 AM

My bad on the typing error. I did not finish typing the sentence I had in my head. My point I was making was that they did not have anyone drafted high like Ashland did. I finished the sentence in the original post to say they did not have a top 4 or 5 round pick, let alone top 100 pick like Ashland did.

Levin was drafted about where I projected him to get drafted.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I think he was going to go in the 5th or 6th round had he not been injured.

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2017, 06:51 AM
Yeah. Took me by surprise that he didn't get drafted after being in so many draft projections. Great guy. I'm sure he'll get a free agent deal once he's over the injury. That's his plan from what I've been hearing. I hope things work out for him.

I thought he may go in the 7th round but turns out the medical was so bad nobody wanted to bring him in until they could work him out fully and his medical comes out clean. Teams are very careful with cervical spine issues.

DirtyDukes
May 22nd, 2017, 08:25 AM

Also undies at 5. What?

Why aren't you sure?

JMU has even more coming back, plus a TON of FBS transfers.

You guys realize we are absolutely LOADED next year, right? I mean on paper we might be even better than last year. Return Cardon Johnson our 1b back after his injury. Transfer in Georgia Tech's leading rusher from the last two seasons. Transfer in multiple OL and DL linemen from FBS. Transfer in multiple LBs from FBS. Bryan "#1 Completion Percentage" Schor comes back with only 1 OL graduate.

Any poll that doesn't have JMU is just being lazy and not spending time doing ANY research. Nothing but respect for NDSU, but you just can't bump them over us.

clenz
May 22nd, 2017, 08:27 AM
I'm not arguing they shouldn't. I'm arguing the defending champion isn't always automatically the best team coming into a new season.

This.

I haven't looked at **** for this coming season. I couldn't guess a top 10 if you gave me 11 teams.

What I am, and always have, arguing is that the previous champion should always be number 1 no matter what in the next preseason poll based on the logic of "Well, they won last year so blah blah blah."

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize we were ranking 2016 teams, not 2017 teams. Let me go a head and just resubmit my final poll from last season then.

It should be REAL easy to do preseason polls if that's the logic we are using and there should be no debate - well actually a ton because of the fact that outside of the #1 spot teams are moving all over - and the poll should look exactly like last year.

The preseason poll, on AGS, should look like this

James Madison Dukes

North Dakota State Bison

Youngstown State Penguins

Eastern Washington Eagles

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Wofford Terriers

Richmond Spiders

Sam Houston State Bearkats

Jacksonville State Gamecocks

The Citadel Bulldogs

Villanova Wildcats

Chattanooga Mocs

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Central Arkansas Bears

New Hampshire Wildcats

Charleston Southern Buccaneers

Samford Bulldogs

San Diego Toreros

Illinois State Redbirds

Lehigh Mountain Hawks

Grambling State Tigers

Cal Poly Mustangs

Weber State Wildcats

North Carolina A&T Aggies

North Carolina Central Eagles

Even that is flawed though. NDSU is a head of YSU. YSU made the title game, NDSU didn't.

Why do no one ever argue that the runner up should be #2 until someone proves otherwise?

YSU SHOULD BE RANKED SECOND, NO MATTER WHAT, IN THE PRESEASON POLL UNTIL SOMEONE PROVES OTHERWISE!

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2017, 08:29 AM
which of your FBS transfers do you imagine will move into starting roles ?

Why aren't you sure?

JMU has even more coming back, plus a TON of FBS transfers.

You guys realize we are absolutely LOADED next year, right? I mean on paper we might be even better than last year. Return Cardon Johnson our 1b back after his injury. Transfer in Georgia Tech's leading rusher from the last two seasons. Transfer in multiple OL and DL linemen from FBS. Transfer in multiple LBs from FBS. Bryan "#1 Completion Percentage" Schor comes back with only 1 OL graduate.

Any poll that doesn't have JMU is just being lazy and not spending time doing ANY research. Nothing but respect for NDSU, but you just can't bump them over us.

Daytripper
May 22nd, 2017, 08:40 AM
1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. SHSU
5. UND
6. EWU
7. RICHMOND
8. VILLANOVA
9. JSU
10. WOFFORD
11. UNH
12. LEHIGH
13. UNI
14. YSU
15. UTC
16. CSU
17. UCA
18. SAMFORD
19. WIU
20. ALBANY
21. FORDHAM
22. CP
23. LIBERTY
24. MCNEESE
25. CITADEL

All-AMERICA
QB JEREMIAH BRISCOE, SHSU
RB CHASE EDMONDS, FORDHAM
RB ELIJAH IBITOKUN-HANKS, ALBANY
FB JOE PROTHEROE, CAL POLY
WR JUSTIN WATSON, PENN
WR JAKE WIENEKE, SDSU
TE DALLAS GOEDERT, SDSU
C JACOB OHNESORGE, SDSU
OL JUSTIN LEA, JSU
OL BRANDON PARKER, NCAT
OL TIMON PARRIS, STONY BROOK
OL AARON STINNIE, JMU

DL PAT AFRIYIE, COLGATE
DL ANTHONY ELLIS, CSU
DL PJ HALL, SHSU
DL DARIUS JACKSON, JSU
LB NICK DELUCA, NDSU
LB DARIUS LEONARD, SCSU
LB BRETT TAYLOR, WIU
DB MARLON BRIDGES, JSU
DB TRE DEMPSEY, NDSU
DB COLE REYES, UND
DB ROB ROLLE, VILLANOVA

K LANE CLARK, TSU
P IAN BERRYMAN, WCU
KR JOHN SANTIAGO, UND
PR KHRIS GARDIN, NCAT

I think this is a pretty fair poll. My only concerns, which others have pointed out, are I think JMU should be #1, I think Lehigh is Toohigh, and UCA is too low. I would replace McNeese with Nicholls.

DirtyDukes
May 22nd, 2017, 08:50 AM
which of your FBS transfers do you imagine will move into starting roles ?

Marcus Marshall for sure, he might even top Cardon for 1a versus Cardons 1b. Our DL transfer from Rutgers RonDell Carter will most likely start, although he transferred after Spring Practices. Gus Little, our LB transfer from Maryland has apparently already mastered our defense. Landon Word, our LB transfer from UVA started all the games last season for them as well, so he will most likely start.

cx500d
May 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM

Unless they lost a lot of people or had a big coaching change, I would agree JMU should be #1 until proven different. That said, this early ranking means nothing.

cx500d
May 22nd, 2017, 11:12 AM
This.

I haven't looked at **** for this coming season. I couldn't guess a top 10 if you gave me 11 teams.

What I am, and always have, arguing is that the previous champion should always be number 1 no matter what in the next preseason poll based on the logic of "Well, they won last year so blah blah blah."

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize we were ranking 2016 teams, not 2017 teams. Let me go a head and just resubmit my final poll from last season then.

It should be REAL easy to do preseason polls if that's the logic we are using and there should be no debate - well actually a ton because of the fact that outside of the #1 spot teams are moving all over - and the poll should look exactly like last year.

The preseason poll, on AGS, should look like this

James Madison Dukes

North Dakota State Bison

Youngstown State Penguins

Eastern Washington Eagles

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Wofford Terriers

Richmond Spiders

Sam Houston State Bearkats

Jacksonville State Gamecocks

The Citadel Bulldogs

Villanova Wildcats

Chattanooga Mocs

North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Central Arkansas Bears

New Hampshire Wildcats

Charleston Southern Buccaneers

Samford Bulldogs

San Diego Toreros

Illinois State Redbirds

Lehigh Mountain Hawks

Grambling State Tigers

Cal Poly Mustangs

Weber State Wildcats

North Carolina A&T Aggies

North Carolina Central Eagles

Even that is flawed though. NDSU is a head of YSU. YSU made the title game, NDSU didn't.

Why do no one ever argue that the runner up should be #2 until someone proves otherwise?

YSU SHOULD BE RANKED SECOND, NO MATTER WHAT, IN THE PRESEASON POLL UNTIL SOMEONE PROVES OTHERWISE!

I agree to this too unless they lost a bunch of people or pelini went on mood disorder meds

Thumper 76
May 22nd, 2017, 11:27 AM
I agree to this too unless they lost a bunch of people or pelini went on mood disorder meds

Well without looking yes they did lose a lot. I don't care what team you are when you lose two DE's that were drafted you don't just replace those guys.

clenz
May 22nd, 2017, 11:30 AM
YSU loses

Kenny Bishop
CB

Nate Dortch
CB

David Rivers III
CB

Eric Thompson
CB

Joshmere Dawson
DE

Avery Moss
DE

Derek Rivers
DE

Rickey Hagood II
DT

LeRoy Alexander
FS

Jaylin Kelly
LB

Jamar Pinnock
LB

Brock Eisenhuth
OG

Dylan Colucci
OT

Jameel Smith
SS

Martin Ruiz
TB

Jody Webb
TB

Jacob Wood
TE

I'll let you decide if they were key players

Thundar
May 22nd, 2017, 12:02 PM

would love to hear why you think you should be #5? im not picking on you just curious?

Thundar
May 22nd, 2017, 12:08 PM
the gang tackle nailed it....NDSU has done nothing this off season to vault over JMU .... especially after that beat down in the Dome.....

Re match in Virginia this time? would like to see how the Bison fare in a playoff game outside of the state of Frarsgo

well, NDSU is 6-1 in road playoff games since 2010...not too bad

F'N Hawks
May 22nd, 2017, 01:22 PM
would love to hear why you think you should be #5? im not picking on you just curious?

Never said they should be. I think I said around 10-14 range.

Was responding a WIU fan wanting nothing more than to see MSU beat UND. Out of all the FCS games that is his #1 hope. Why, I have no idea - I don't give a bag of fuks about WIU.

Schism55
May 22nd, 2017, 01:27 PM
Never said they should be.

Was responding a WIU fan wanting nothing more than to see MSU beat UND. Out of all the FCS games that is his #1 hope. Why, I have no idea - I don't give a bag of fuks about WIU.
MSU fans have their bar set extremely low, okay to give 'em some slack xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
May 22nd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Preseason polls are always interesting. What's the reasoning behind the ranking? How much does past performance and name recognition (regionalization) play into it?

Here are a few of the biggest differences I found between Athlon and Street&Smiths....not saying one is worse, but.....

Webber State at 8, ISU at 11 and Grambling at 15 didn't even make the Athlon top 25

UNH at 12, UNI at 13 and WIU at 19 aren't in S&S

UND is 5th in Athlon and 14 in S&S

Citadel is 12th in S&S and 25th in Athlon

I doubt advertising/distribution has much impact on their FCS poll, but I do wonder about their BCS poll. I kniw the polls don't change by region (but does penetration in the market have any bearing).....but, They do change the cover based on region....Urban Meyer isn't on the cover of the ones they sell in Alabama....

UNDColorado
May 22nd, 2017, 02:50 PM

I put this in the wrong early rankings thread but I do think #5 is a bit high. I was thinking more around the 10 range.

ST_Lawson
May 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Never said they should be. I think I said around 10-14 range.

"A" WIU fan?....excuse me good sir, around here, I believe I am "THE" WIU fan....wait....that came out wrong.

And I did mention why a little later in the thread. It wasn't that I have anything against UND specifically, I think they're a great addition to the MVFC and the Summit. I was hoping to see MSU beat UND purely from a "what would be the reaction on this forum" standpoint. Because I have a feeling that it would...be...hilarious.

F'N Hawks
May 22nd, 2017, 03:15 PM
"A" WIU fan?....excuse me good sir, around here, I believe I am "THE" WIU fan....wait....that came out wrong.

And I did mention why a little later in the thread. It wasn't that I have anything against UND specifically, I think they're a great addition to the MVFC and the Summit. I was hoping to see MSU beat UND purely from a "what would be the reaction on this forum" standpoint. Because I have a feeling that it would...be...hilarious.

Gotcha, no worries. And yes, it would certainly be something to behold. For a long, long time.

caribbeanhen
May 22nd, 2017, 05:27 PM
well, NDSU is 6-1 in road playoff games since 2010...not too bad

6-1? most of your fan base claims those Frisco games as home games so more like 0-1 right? East Washington game in 2010? what other road games have you played not counting Farsco?

GodHelpTheBears
May 22nd, 2017, 05:48 PM

What was the reaction to the 2014 game?

You'll have to excuse me for not seeing this year's game as our Tune Squad taking on the Monstars from Grand Fork, because I was there that night in 2014 and I remember what I saw.

ST_Lawson
May 22nd, 2017, 06:06 PM

You'll have to excuse me for not seeing this year's game as our Tune Squad taking on the Monstars from Grand Fork, because I was there that night in 2014 and I remember what I saw.

I don't really remember what the reaction was, if there was one. I do, however, remember the reaction from some of the UND folks when the 2015 playoff bracket was released.

TheKingpin28
May 22nd, 2017, 07:05 PM
6-1? most of your fan base claims those Frisco games as home games so more like 0-1 right? East Washington game in 2010? what other road games have you played not counting Farsco?

#6 Montana State, 42-17 in 2010

The thing is, why sacrifice wins during the regular season and risk going on the road when a team can play in their home stadium?

citdog
May 22nd, 2017, 07:08 PM

The thing is, why sacrifice wins during the regular season and risk going on the road when a team can play in their home stadium?

Referring to neutral site games as road games is a bit disingenuous. Hen is right.

TheKingpin28
May 22nd, 2017, 07:51 PM
Referring to neutral site games as road games is a bit disingenuous. Hen is right.

Who said anything about that? True road games the Bison are 1-0-1. Why would someone consider Fargo South a road game? xlolx

citdog
May 22nd, 2017, 08:53 PM
Who said anything about that? True road games the Bison are 1-0-1. Why would someone consider Fargo South a road game? xlolx

A Bizon fan claimed that y'all were 6-1 in road playoff games...

Thumper 76
May 22nd, 2017, 09:03 PM

Um, sir, it's the Toon Squad. SMH.

It's NDSU fans, so...

GodHelpTheBears
May 22nd, 2017, 09:49 PM

I reference an embarrassing shellacking of your in state rival and this is what you quibble about

cx500d
May 22nd, 2017, 09:55 PM
um he's a jackass rabbit. Wrong state.

I reference an embarrassing shellacking of your in state rival and this is what you quibble about

TheKingpin28
May 22nd, 2017, 09:56 PM
A Bizon fan claimed that y'all were 6-1 in road playoff games...

To each their own and technically it is a road game, so they are not wrong but I could see how someone would not call it a road game either.

It's NDSU fans, so...

Yes, we are all that bad. I am probably the worst and most fair weather out of all of them. xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
May 22nd, 2017, 10:02 PM
Thank you xlolx

BisonFan02
May 22nd, 2017, 10:10 PM

It's NDSU fans, so...

NDSU has 1 road FCS playoff win and SDSU has 2. You guys can toss that stat in your trophy case. :D

GodHelpTheBears
May 22nd, 2017, 10:28 PM

Everything north of the Missouri River is Canada to me

BisonTru
May 22nd, 2017, 10:34 PM
I think it should be JMU 1, NDSU 2. I don't mind the chip on the shoulder.

Plus this is the CAA's first championship team this decade. Let them hold onto a preseason ranking.

citdog
May 22nd, 2017, 11:13 PM
To each their own and technically it is a road game, so they are not wrong but I could see how someone would not call it a road game either. xdrunkyx

It's actually technically and in any other way a neutral site game. That stinking pile of a game y'all have scheduled at the Twins stadium is a neutral site game too.

Thumper 76
May 22nd, 2017, 11:26 PM
NDSU has 1 road FCS playoff win and SDSU has 2. You guys can toss that stat in your trophy case. :D
Oh, I hope you don't think that I don't use that xlolx

Everything north of the Missouri River is Canada to me
Lumping me in with the UxDs and NDSU? I have a finger for you sir......

It's actually technically and in any other way a neutral site game. That stinking pile of a game y'all have scheduled at the Twins stadium is a neutral site game too.
winner!

BisonFan02
May 22nd, 2017, 11:52 PM

Lumping me in with the UxDs and NDSU? I have a finger for you sir......

winner!

As you should...especially since it is the exact same # of home playoff wins in SDSU program history. :D

cx500d
May 22nd, 2017, 11:55 PM
Kind of like Sammy uses the 2x runner up shirts?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25066&stc=1

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2017, 12:24 AM

First rule of that game is that, we do not talk about that game...

dewey
May 23rd, 2017, 07:31 AM

Absolutely right! The National Championship games have been some where between home games and neutral site games. Neutral site game in 2011, maybe slightly more of a home game in 2012, certainly a home game in 2013, 2014 skewed toward home game and 2015 home game. However the 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 were against teams whose homes were closer to Frisco than NDSU (yes I am fully aware that we have nothing else to do in the winter, no FBS programs to contend with or any other excuses of why NDSU travels well).

To call games in Frisco road games is completely wrong or a weak attempt at trolling.

Dewey

flyrod
May 23rd, 2017, 10:35 AM
Absolutely right! The National Championship games have been some where between home games and neutral site games. Neutral site game in 2011, maybe slightly more of a home game in 2012, certainly a home game in 2013, 2014 skewed toward home game and 2015 home game. However the 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 were against teams whose homes were closer to Frisco than NDSU (yes I am fully aware that we have nothing else to do in the winter, no FBS programs to contend with or any other excuses of why NDSU travels well).

To call games in Frisco road games is completely wrong or a weak attempt at trolling.

Dewey

I was at the 2016-17 game in FRISCO and it sure seemed like a home game for the DUKES!!!!
There was sooo much purple there and so many JMU fans...it was awesome kinda felt like a home game once in the stadium. But then again the night before in the bars nearby and even in the galleria mall it was almost like I was in Hburg.

And NDSU and JMU .....NC game would bring one helluva crowd thats for sure.

#godukes.

dewey
May 23rd, 2017, 11:08 AM
I was at the 2016-17 game in FRISCO and it sure seemed like a home game for the DUKES!!!!
There was sooo much purple there and so many JMU fans...it was awesome kinda felt like a home game once in the stadium. But then again the night before in the bars nearby and even in the galleria mall it was almost like I was in Hburg.

And NDSU and JMU .....NC game would bring one helluva crowd thats for sure.

#godukes.

A JMU NDSU title game in Frisco would be a FCS championship game ticket scalpers dream come true (in complete honesty I have done very well selling extra tickets during the NDUS title run). There is no way Toyota Stadium would hold enough fans. I bet if you had a big enough stadium you could draw 35k people.

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
May 23rd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Well without looking yes they did lose a lot. I don't care what team you are when you lose two DE's that were drafted you don't just replace those guys.

Like you guessed, they lost a lot more off that great defense than the 2 DE's .. of top 11 tacklers, only 1, 7, and 9 returns .. one at each position group level. Here are lost and retained tackles by position group:

- DL .. lost the 2 DE's who finished 5th and 6th in tackles, and 1 & 2 in sacks and TFLs by far
- LB .. retain top LB tackler, but lost next 2 LBs who finished 4th and 10th in tackles
- DB .. of their top 6 DBs in tackles, retained just 1 who finished 7th in tackles, but lost DB tacklers 2, 3, 8, 11, and 14 .. so 5 of top 6 gone

There's a reason that defense was so good .. and not just the DEs, though they certainly attracted all the attention game plan wise. If Pellini turns out another good defense in one offseason .. kudos to him. But that looks like rebuilding not reload.

Plus the offense lost top 2 RB .. though I know they like their young guys.

Thumper 76
May 24th, 2017, 10:25 AM
As you should...especially since it is the exact same # of home playoff wins in SDSU program history. :D
We have less home playoff losses than the Bison as well, jus sayin. :D

Bison56
May 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Getting the 2 top players back on D is nothing? I'm not saying they should be #1, but at least do some research. Oh wait I forgot you're a troll.

UNIFanSince1983
May 24th, 2017, 11:16 AM
UNI is wayy too high.

Silenoz
May 24th, 2017, 04:27 PM

Such a glorious day. Why did I not buy a ticket!

Also ten pages in and no mention of what must be a historic absence of Montana. We are the new Delaware. Or possibly just another Delaware if they're not done bottoming out yet

citdog
May 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Also ten pages in and no mention of what must be a historic absence of Montana. We are the new Delaware. Or possibly just another Delaware if they're not done bottoming out yet

Stitt Happens...

TheKingpin28
May 24th, 2017, 05:29 PM

When Gustafson got injured, that was a huge blow. I would like nothing more than a UM vs NDSU in Frisco. I know Alpha says you all do not travel well, but it would do wonders for both programs and the ratings would be YUGE!

Silenoz
May 25th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Sounds like something he'd say. We travel better than everyone other than NDSU. And if we were any good and won a ****-ton of championships I'm sure we'd be your equal

Stitt Happens...

Stitt like a fox!

http://i.imgur.com/AYM6WFN.png

TheKingpin28
May 25th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Sounds like something he'd say. We travel better than everyone other than NDSU. And if we were any good and won a ****-ton of championships I'm sure we'd be your equal

JMU turned up well on their own as well as due to the incompetence of YSU, but of all the fan bases that I know travel, this would be my personal order

NDSU
JMU
Montana
SDSU (New stadium and consistency helps)
The rest of the consistent top ten
Everyone else

Silenoz
May 25th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Well, obviously it's ancient history and little relevance anymore, but back in 2004 I'd wager we outnumbered them in Chattanooga

Plus its easy to rally travel during your best season ever, whereas we are terrible

Actually why am I even arguing it. They can have it. I don't care anymore.

caribbeanhen
May 25th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Getting the 2 top players back on D is nothing? I'm not saying they should be #1, but at least do some research. Oh wait I forgot you're a troll.

that's what I said, take the hook out of your mouth and try again Mr. Limpet

DirtyDukes
May 25th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Well, obviously it's ancient history and little relevance anymore, but back in 2004 I'd wager we outnumbered them in Chattanooga

Plus its easy to rally travel during your best season ever, whereas we are terrible

Actually why am I even arguing it. They can have it. I don't care anymore.

You guys definitely had more people than us in 2004. I would say 60% griz 40% dukes. Maybe a little more in your favor.

Schism55
May 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Stitt like a fox!

http://i.imgur.com/AYM6WFN.png
Grasping defeat from the jaws of victory....get em Grizz!

RootinFerDukes
May 25th, 2017, 04:41 PM
I have a hard time taking a poll seriously if they can't give the defending champion the benefit of the doubt for a single week of the new season. That's just my opinion.

Bison56
May 25th, 2017, 04:48 PM
that's what I said, take the hook out of your mouth and try again Mr. Limpet

Love that movie.xthumbsupx

jmufan999
May 26th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I think it should be JMU 1, NDSU 2. I don't mind the chip on the shoulder.

Methinks the term "chip on the shoulder" is getting thrown around a little too liberally these days.

F'N Hawks
May 26th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Methinks the term "chip on the shoulder" is getting thrown around a little too liberally these days.

No doubt, being ranked #2 will give them a "chip on their shoulder". xlolx

BisonTru
May 26th, 2017, 02:28 PM
The bar was set at NDSU 5 times in a row. Last year was a disappointment and the bar is the same this year.

BTW, to all those JMU fans that are upset they aren't a unanimous #1, NDSU started out without the preseason #1 in most years we won it and we weren't preseason favorites the next year in at least 2 of those years.

caribbeanhen
May 26th, 2017, 03:30 PM
The bar was set at NDSU 5 times in a row. Last year was a disappointment and the bar is the same this year.

BTW, to all those JMU fans that are upset they aren't a unanimous #1, NDSU started out without the preseason #1 in most years we won it and we weren't preseason favorites the next year in at least 2 of those years.

I don't think any are upset, just tossing a few comments around.... as many have already said, who cares.... it will be settled on the field

Gangtackle11
May 26th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Preseason it's JMU, NDSU, the rest.

How it ends TBD.

'nuff said.

gsf23nd
June 6th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Regarding NDSU/JMU ranking. Craig Haley, the guy who does this poll, has said that he bases his preseason poll on where he thinks the teams will finish, not necessarily where they are now. That is why he had NDSU at #1 because he believes they will win it all this year.

McNeese72
June 6th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Regarding NDSU/JMU ranking. Craig Haley, the guy who does this poll, has said that he bases his preseason poll on where he thinks the teams will finish, not necessarily where they are now. That is why he had NDSU at #1 because he believes they will win it all this year.

Pet peeve here. If one guy is doing it, it is a ratings or an opinion not a poll!!!!

Doc

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 6th, 2017, 04:58 PM

Which is how I do my preseason poll.

grayghost06
June 7th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Soft Houston State at number 4. Must be a huuuuuuuge chasm between 2 and 4!http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25179&stc=1

DirtyDukes
June 8th, 2017, 09:00 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-WK2EWXUAAv_lE.jpg

Daytripper
June 8th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Some people wake up every morning thinking about Sam Houston State. Weird that they aren't alumni or fans.

Reign of Terrier
June 8th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Came back here because I've now seen 2 different outlets ranks Wofford in the top 10 and at least one of them picked Wofford to win the Socon. I don't follow FCS as much as I used to, but I'll give some Socon thoughts.

I've been following Wofford for about 15 years or so (basically the entire span of time we've been competitive...not because i'm fair weather but because I'm 23 years old). I don't remember us ever having this much hype (even if it's relatively minimal compared to the powerhouses of the division). We've always been in the shadow of App and GSU. Then they left and we didn't have things together. I agree with preseason rankings that we're top 2-3 in the conference based on the number of players we bring back on defense. Someone said earlier in the thread that we're battling injury. That's not really true. Whether or not we win the conference will depend on a couple possessions, just as it did last year.

As for the rest of the conference. Samford will be competitive and utilize systemic weaknesses in matchups (i.e because teams like Wofford, Furman, Citadel, etc run a lot and Samford likes to pass a lot, there's a high probability that Samford will be in passing situations due to clock management by the opposition, and they'll use those opportunities to light up stats). Chattanooga is a wild card, but they have a strong nucleus of players and even though the coach isn't well known, I would be very surprised if they finished less than 7-4. Clearly a bubble team. The Citadel loses some key players, as was pointed out, but they will still be competitive. As the new coach brings in his second year, we'll see how good he is on his own accord with his own players he's recruited.

Other teams are basically wild cards. Who knows about Furman, Mercer, etc? They go either way.

Sammy94
June 8th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Some people wake up every morning thinking about Sam Houston State. Weird that they aren't alumni or fans.

I'll take it, it wasn't that long ago when nobody was talking about Sam football and there was 50 of us in the stands. Now we have haters that aren't Lumberjacks and only NDSU has more playoff wins in the last 5 years.

Nickels
June 8th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I'll take it, it wasn't that long ago when nobody was talking about Sam football and there was 50 of us in the stands. Now we have haters that aren't Lumberjacks and only NDSU has more playoff wins in the last 5 years.
We've beaten everyone in the playoffs we've faced, sans Natty winners, the past 6 years. Haters gon' hate.

Sammy94
June 8th, 2017, 03:03 PM
We've beaten everyone in the playoffs we've faced, sans Natty winners, the past 6 years. Haters gon' hate.

Well not exactly, SELA and Jax St. beat us to.

UNDColorado
June 8th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Isn't it still weird to wake up every morning and think about your own school? :D

DirtyDukes
June 8th, 2017, 05:03 PM

LOL. #fakenews

Daytripper
June 8th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Isn't it still weird to wake up every morning and think about your own school? :D

I have orange sheets. xcoffeex

Nickels
June 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Well not exactly, SELA and Jax St. beat us to.
Yes and we beat them too.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. #fakenews
How so?

Serpentor
June 8th, 2017, 08:06 PM
LOL. #fakenews

Oh, this retard came back. Great.

grayghost06
June 8th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Soft Houston State at number 4. Must be a huuuuuuuge chasm between 2 and 4!http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25179&stc=1

Not me. Haven't even logged on in months. Wouldn't have even thought about Sammy except for the poll. And probably won't give them a 2nd thought until the local news covers the Richmond game. Now, should they win that game, that would deserve some notice.

Longhorn
June 9th, 2017, 06:49 AM
I have orange sheets. xcoffeex

Sounds like a serious medical condition. I'd look to get that treated as soon as possible, preferably before another blowout playoff loss.

DirtyDukes
June 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Yes and we beat them too.

- - - Updated - - -

How so?

You said you only have lost to eventual champions. SE LA and JSU were not champions.

Oh, this retard came back. Great.

http://i.imgur.com/jvIZDLP.png

Nickels
June 9th, 2017, 10:32 AM
You said you only have lost to eventual champions. SE LA and JSU were not champions.

http://i.imgur.com/jvIZDLP.png

Reading comprehension dip****. I said we've beaten every team in the playoffs we've faced other than Natty winners. We've beaten SELA and JSU.

IBleedYellow
June 9th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Craig Haley was on Bison 1660 and also talked with Mike McFeely.

"What gives, Craig? Why the love for NDSU and the diss of JMU?
“I always make my preseason poll the way I think it will finish. I don’t think the defending national champion has to be preseason No. 1 because they won the previous year,” Haley said in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. “I call it how I think it’s going to be at the end of the year and I think NDSU is going to win it all this year.” "

https://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/06/06/bison-ranked-no-1-in-early-fcs-poll-with-no-apologies-from-pollster/

So...take that as you see fit.

DirtyDukes
June 9th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Reading comprehension dip****. I said we've beaten every team in the playoffs we've faced other than Natty winners. We've beaten SELA and JSU.

LOL it's not my reading comprehension its your inability to make a logical argument.

You faced SELA and JSU and lost and they were not Natty winners. Are you trying to say you've beaten every program? You do realize teams change year to year? When you lost to SELA and JSU they did not go on to win the Natty.

- - - Updated - - -

Craig Haley was on Bison 1660 and also talked with Mike McFeely.

"What gives, Craig? Why the love for NDSU and the diss of JMU?
“I always make my preseason poll the way I think it will finish. I don’t think the defending national champion has to be preseason No. 1 because they won the previous year,” Haley said in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. “I call it how I think it’s going to be at the end of the year and I think NDSU is going to win it all this year.” "

https://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/06/06/bison-ranked-no-1-in-early-fcs-poll-with-no-apologies-from-pollster/

So...take that as you see fit.

I mean... if it was anything other than the PREseason poll I'd be okay with it but PREseason suggests where teams stand BEFORE the season, and it's hard to argue with us being on top PREseason. But whatever, just more fuel for the fire.

Sammy94
June 9th, 2017, 11:28 AM
You do realize teams change year to year?

What? A JMU fan made this statement. In a 2017 pre-season poll thread?

JSUSoutherner
June 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/15ae2fac840d64f869e8a86656327604.jpg

DirtyDukes
June 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
What? A JMU fan made this statement. In a 2017 pre-season poll thread?

Are we not still champs in the preseason?

Also, I wasn't claiming wins over teams because we had beat them in past years like your boy Nicky.

Sammy94
June 9th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Are we not still champs in the preseason?

Also, I wasn't claiming wins over teams because we had beat them in past years like your boy Nicky.

Its a new year, according to this poll that would be a no. I will also base my poll on how I think 2017 will play out, not how 2016 ended. I most likely will swap JMU with NDSU though because I do believe JMU is the team that has the best chance of winning it all again with what they have returning and the talent they picked up.

DirtyDukes
June 9th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Its a new year, according to this poll that would be a no. I will also base my poll on how I think 2017 will play out, not how 2016 ended. I most likely will swap JMU with NDSU though because I do believe JMU is the team that has the best chance of winning it all again with what they have returning and the talent they picked up.

LOL - do you know what we have returning and what we picked up? And do what you want, but Haley and you are idiots if you do your preseason poll as where people will end up.

Gangtackle11
June 9th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I don't know about voting based on how you think they will finish, but tell me why NDSU deserves to be ranked ahead of JMU again?

I can see the argument if you think JMU was depleted by graduation, lost their coach, or were decimated by scandal. None of these possibilities have occurred from what I know.

That said it's quite conceivable that JMU going into Fargo and coming out with a convincing win won't happen again, but none of you who vote for anyone other than JMU #1 can look in the mirror and see anything other than a homer or a hater. Probably both.

Sammy94
June 9th, 2017, 03:24 PM
LOL - do you know what we have returning and what we picked up? And do what you want, but Haley and you are idiots if you do your preseason poll as where people will end up.

So you use the final 2016 poll as your pre-season 2017 poll?? Perhaps we are idiots but I think talent lost, transfers & freshmen coming in and coaching changes all effect my preseason poll. I could do it the easy way and just copy last year's last poll but like you said teams change year to year.

Sammy94
June 9th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I don't know about voting based on how you think they will finish, but tell me why NDSU deserves to be ranked ahead of JMU again?

I can see the argument if you think JMU was depleted by graduation, lost their coach, or were decimated by scandal. None of these possibilities have occurred from what I know.

That said it's quite conceivable that JMU going into Fargo and coming out with a convincing win won't happen again, but none of you who vote for anyone other than JMU #1 can look in the mirror and see anything other than a homer or a hater. Probably both.

I never said they were. I will have JMU first in my poll.

Gangtackle11
June 9th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I never said they were. I will have JMU first in my poll.

I wasn't pointing you out in particular. Just putting those voters on alert who throw "caution to the wind."

Gangtackle11
June 11th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Here is the Athlon 2016 Preseason poll:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

JMU was #14 & Youngstown State was #22. Not so fast for those anticipating a JMU-NDSU meeting in Frisco. Actually had 9 teams that missed the playoffs entirely in Top 25 (10 if you include FCS playoff ineligible Coastal Carolina)

What appears certain in June may not be in January. Just sayin'

DirtyDukes
June 12th, 2017, 09:22 AM
So you use the final 2016 poll as your pre-season 2017 poll?? Perhaps we are idiots but I think talent lost, transfers & freshmen coming in and coaching changes all effect my preseason poll. I could do it the easy way and just copy last year's last poll but like you said teams change year to year.

No, I do include losses to graduation, etc, but we return 12 starters and our starting QB. Our biggest losses were RB, LB, WR and we got FBS transfer for each. But to say you do it where you expect them to end up is just insanity.

- - - Updated - - -

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder68/500x/23266068/morgan-freeman-hes-right-u-know-hes-right-you-know.jpg

Thumper 76
June 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how NDSU got the nod over JMU after what JMU did to them in Fargo, but it's a preseason poll and one spot so I'm not terribly concerned about it.

As a SDSU fan I am concerned about how they handle the expectations and hype coming into this year. From what I've seen over the offseason they seem locked in though. If we walk through the OOC then I'll be more confident.

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2017, 11:31 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how NDSU got the nod over JMU after what JMU did to them in Fargo, but it's a preseason poll and one spot so I'm not terribly concerned about it.

As a SDSU fan I am concerned about how they handle the expectations and hype coming into this year. From what I've seen over the offseason they seem locked in though. If we walk through the OOC then I'll be more confident.

I'm too lazy to look this **** up, but I do seem to remember NDSU not being preseason #1s after their natty seasons. I know they were going into the GOAT 2013 season....were they last year?

youcanbankit
June 13th, 2017, 05:46 AM
This was clearly a premature published article. Athlon has a set of top 25 picks pre-season then has different teams making the playoffs??? Come on Athlon....get your stuff together.

Here is the Athlon 2016 Preseason poll:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

JMU was #14 & Youngstown State was #22. Not so fast for those anticipating a JMU-NDSU meeting in Frisco. Actually had 9 teams that missed the playoffs entirely in Top 25 (10 if you include FCS playoff ineligible Coastal Carolina)

What appears certain in June may not be in January. Just sayin'

Bisonator
June 13th, 2017, 08:04 AM
I'm too lazy to look this **** up, but I do seem to remember NDSU not being preseason #1s after their natty seasons. I know they were going into the GOAT 2013 season....were they last year?
Looks like Sam Houston was #1 in 2012 and EWU was #1 in 2014. NDSU was #1 in 2013, 2015 and last year. This according to the NCAA site.

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Looks like Sam Houston was #1 in 2012 and EWU was #1 in 2014. NDSU was #1 in 2013, 2015 and last year. This according to the NCAA site.

The horror! xlolx

Daytripper
June 14th, 2017, 07:42 AM

It seems to me that you don't want to be a preseason #1. Of those, only the 2013 and 2015 Bison finished how they started.

BisonFan02
June 14th, 2017, 08:15 AM
It seems to me that you don't want to be a preseason #1. Of those, only the 2013 and 2015 Bison finished how they started.

2013 Bison = GOAT

Daytripper
June 14th, 2017, 08:54 AM
2013 Bison = GOAT

I won't disagree.

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2017, 09:34 AM
This was clearly a premature published article. Athlon has a set of top 25 picks pre-season then has different teams making the playoffs??? Come on Athlon....get your stuff together.

Well with autobids to conferences like the Pioneer you aren't going to always get the top ranked teams.

JSUSoutherner
June 14th, 2017, 11:49 AM
2013 Bison = GOAT

but bison are not goats?

They look nothing alike.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/9516c0c4312c5491f21d15e667f7fbf3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/81af41c218ca6365064ef5a5557f2f60.jpg

grizband
June 14th, 2017, 12:21 PM
2013 Bison = GOAT

I won't disagree.
I would, but it would fall in deaf ears... ;)