PDA

View Full Version : Outside of your rival(s), whats your most anticipated game this year?

ASU33
May 16th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Outside of Alabama A&M and Tuskegee our most anticipated game is October 7th at home vs. Alcorn State. We haven't beaten Alcorn State since 2013 and we've developed a nice little rivalry with them since then. Alcorn represented the Eastern division of the SWAC in the Conference title game 4 years in a row. We've led Alcorn going into the 4th quarter the last two seasons before two 4th quarter collapses in both games. Lately the series as turn into a highly attended game between us with the last 3 meetings getting over the 20,000 mark.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 16th, 2017, 07:10 PM
NDSU's 3 OOC games:

Miss Valley State
Eastern Washington
Robert Morris

2 will be complete blowouts but out of the 3, EWU is probably the game most anticipated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 16th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Villanova!

Lehigh has a chance to make an early statement when the Wildcats come to visit. The Mountain Hawks need to get back over the CAA hump. Their last win over a Top 25 CAA team was UNH in 2013.

ST_Lawson
May 16th, 2017, 10:14 PM
We don't really have a true "rival" (if any, I guess it'd be Illinois State...this year will be our 100th meeting). Probably my most anticipated game this year is against South Dakota, for a couple of reasons. It's Homecoming, which is always fun, but also, it will be the first time that Coach Nielson will return to Hanson Field for a game since he bolted for South Dakota immediately following the end of the 2015 season. The band will be right behind the middle of the visiting team, so it could get interesting.

citdog
May 17th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Klempsin

Catatonic
May 17th, 2017, 04:32 AM
Abilene Christian closes with back-to-back games against Sam Houston and UCA. I expect the Wildcats will gain momentum as the season goes along and our team becomes more comfortable with our new coaches and schemes. The Sam and UCA games will be a good barometer of how far we have come and how far we need to go to be competitive in the conference and beyond.

Other than this, there is a lot we are looking forward to this fall. New Mexico-First game under our new HC. Everyone is eager to see the new look. Colorado State--Fort Collins. New Stadium. The Mountains. Houston Baptist. First home game in our new stadium. First time we have played on campus in 50 years.

Daytripper
May 17th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Easy. Richmond.

KPSUL
May 17th, 2017, 07:25 AM
@ JMU. Big reach I know, but I think JMU will lose one CAA game this year, it might as well be against UNH.

Catamount87
May 17th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Easy choice, our road(air) trip to Hawai'i to start the season!

Sammy94
May 17th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Richmond

Evolution Prime
May 17th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Drake

J/K Probably UNI since its on Hobo Day.

BEAR
May 17th, 2017, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure UCA has established a rival in the SLC. We're kind of set apart from the other two states who have established their rivals after years of playing each other.

Sam has SFA IMO.

So with that as my qualifier, I'd say McNeese at homecoming this year. Last year we blew them out 35-0 after a tragedy with the head coach. They are better than that we know. I don't look forward to top 20 FBS Kansas State. Nor do I look forward to Murray State though I will be going. So I guess McNeese so we can tailgate and raise food donations for the hungry in both our states.

RootinFerDukes
May 17th, 2017, 08:36 AM
ECU but I always look forward to the UR, WM, VU and UD games (unless I sense it'll be lopsided against my team). Obviously I look forward to the playoffs, but I suppose that doesn't count here.

DirtyDukes
May 17th, 2017, 08:57 AM
@ JMU. Big reach I know, but I think JMU will lose one CAA game this year, it might as well be against UNH.

Can't hurt that you will also be in attendance, huh? Should be a great game.

I'm stoked to beat ECU. Massey has us as 7 point favorites.

Bisonator
May 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Definitely EWU although I'm gonna need some new shades before we play on that awful turf.xcoolx

Thundar
May 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Frisco

slostang
May 17th, 2017, 09:12 AM
For Cal Poly it would be between hosting Colgate in the Kickoff Classic on ESPNU and traveling to take on Northern Iowa.

McNeese75
May 17th, 2017, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure UCA has established a rival in the SLC. We're kind of set apart from the other two states who have established their rivals after years of playing each other.

Sam has SFA IMO.

So with that as my qualifier, I'd say McNeese at homecoming this year. Last year we blew them out 35-0 after a tragedy with the head coach. They are better than that we know. I don't look forward to top 20 FBS Kansas State. Nor do I look forward to Murray State though I will be going. So I guess McNeese so we can tailgate and raise food donations for the hungry in both our states.

I will exclude the UCA game because that WILL be a rivalry game this year after the xasswhipxlast year xnodx. Otherwise I would say nothing is really anticipated. The OOC games are Alcorn State and Florida Tech so overall the schedule is plain vanilla and weak.

Iridebikes
May 17th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Definitely EWU although I'm gonna need some new shades before we play on that awful turf.xcoolx

I'll agree with you on the game. EWU-NDSU was a really good game last year in Fargo. It will be fun and should be a great game this year in Cheney. And while I like the RED, it will really clash with your green and gold. Anyway, lets have a good game and enjoy FCS football!!

SactoHornetFan
May 17th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Cal Poly

Panther88
May 17th, 2017, 09:31 AM
PVAMU has 3 OOC games vs SHSU(our place), Nicholls(A), and IWU(A); all Southland conf schools + 1 addt'l OOC vs a sub-D-1 (NAIA for HC'ing).

All 3 OOC D-Is are very important since we all recruit in the same footprint (La/Tx) and the proximity between PVAMU and SHSU is a mere 1hr 12min drive.

FTR, I saw both spring games (SHSU and PVAMU). SHSU is ridiculously physically gifted (fast, big + Briscoe + GREAT OL + JWebb <was on PV's campus last year anticipating txfer from uofh during Herman's last stint but we couldn't get him in> ).

dewey
May 17th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Like many other Bison fans the most anticipated game for me (outside of SDSU and UNI) is going to be EWU.

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
May 17th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Nov 18th, week 11, we have NDSU at home on our Senior Day .. could be game that determines top 8 seed for us or not .. of course our students will be home for 1 week break starting that day .. ISU Frisco Ticketgate II coming soon to a stadium near you !!!

Yote 53
May 17th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Non-conference - North Dakota. We owe those guys a full on beat down.

In conference - all the games are important.

F'N Hawks
May 17th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Non-conference - North Dakota. We owe those guys a full on beat down.

xlolx Rinse, repeat.

Redbird 4th & short
May 17th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Nov 18th, week 11, we have NDSU at home on our Senior Day .. could be game that determines top 8 seed for us or not .. of course our students will be home for 1 week break starting that day .. ISU Frisco Ticketgate II coming soon to a stadium near you !!!

Non-conference wise and equally important to our playoff chances and seed potential is our game 5, Oct 7th at Northern Arizona .. they have their stud QB back and healthy. We need this road win to make our climb in rankings.

Grizalltheway
May 17th, 2017, 11:55 AM
MSU and EWU are both rivals, so I guess UND or NAU.

GetEmGriz
May 17th, 2017, 12:29 PM
My most anticipated game this year would be against Washington. Yeah, we're going to get slaughtered... but it's going to be fun attending a Pac12 game.

Yote 53
May 17th, 2017, 01:22 PM
xlolx Rinse, repeat.

The last several times USD has played UND, and this goes back to the GWFC days, the Yotes have literally grasped defeat out of the jaws of victory. I don't know why it keeps happening but USD comes in and starts blowing the doors off of UND and then, for some inexplicable reason, goes down the path of self-destruction and just hands the game over. Clean that up this year in the Dome and you guys are staring at a blowout.

F'N Hawks
May 17th, 2017, 01:35 PM
The last several times USD has played UND, and this goes back to the GWFC days, the Yotes have literally grasped defeat out of the jaws of victory. I don't know why it keeps happening but USD comes in and starts blowing the doors off of UND and then, for some inexplicable reason, goes down the path of self-destruction and just hands the game over. Clean that up this year in the Dome and you guys are staring at a blowout.

xthumbsupx It's always a good game down to the end, that much is guaranteed.

wapiti
May 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM
SDSU in Bozeman should be a good one.

phoenix3
May 17th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Furman

jmufan999
May 17th, 2017, 02:09 PM
probably Villanova. they only got to see Schor play for 1 quarter. I want to see him for the full game at home. ECU and UNH are also up there.

bobcathpdevil56
May 17th, 2017, 02:10 PM
SDSU should be a great measuring stick to see if we have improved over the off-season. Also, Wazzu, just because my little brother went there and it would bring me great joy to continue the Big Sky streak against WSU.

Fordhamanhattan
May 17th, 2017, 03:20 PM
The Rams of Fordham have two big games to start the year. The Black Knights of the Hudson up in West Point to start the season and then two weeks later hosting Eastern Washington at Fordham's bucolic Rose Hill campus in the Bronx.

citdog
May 17th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Furman

sucks

JSUSoutherner
May 17th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Man. Choosing between Austin Peay and Georgia Tech is really difficult. xcoffeex

UNDColorado
May 17th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I am heading out to SLC to watch UND take on Utah. Rice Eccles looks like a cool stadium and only a 6 hour drive for me. Should be a fun weekend...bringing our own beer because 3.2 beer is just fizzy water.

Ivytalk
May 17th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Rhode Island. Definitely Rhode Island.

SFA 93
May 17th, 2017, 05:35 PM
The first one. SMU

citdog
May 17th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Rhode Island. Definitely Rhode Island.

Before now said no one EVER...

xnodx

Schism55
May 17th, 2017, 06:35 PM
sucks
Never change bud, never change :D

clenz
May 17th, 2017, 06:45 PM
None. I already want the season over

BisonFan02
May 17th, 2017, 07:15 PM
UNI

NorthChuckSouth
May 17th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Either Kennesaw State, eventhough they are becoming our rival, or Mississippi State

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2017, 08:03 PM
UNI

UNI always plays the Bison tough but I think this year, in our house, it wont be close.

JSUSoutherner
May 17th, 2017, 08:06 PM
UNI always plays the Bison tough but I think this year, in our house, it wont be close.

*loses*

The Cats
May 17th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Easy choice, our road(air) trip to Hawai'i to start the season!

I'd say the easy choice would be our first ever trip to Chapel Hill

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eSQ0Xvnk25E/VecVp7-oaTI/AAAAAAAACz4/FB13UrbwsOA/s296/unc.JPG

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2017, 08:15 PM
*loses*

I suppose you are trying to refer to a Bison loss?

TheKingpin28
May 17th, 2017, 08:25 PM

Championship Game

37-10

/thread

JSUSoutherner
May 17th, 2017, 08:30 PM
No, I was actually talking about the Atlanta Braves.

They lose a lot. xcoffeex

Gangtackle11
May 17th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Obvious choices would be Temple or JMU, but I think Richmond game is going to tell me more about Nova this season.

ngineer
May 17th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Villanova!

Lehigh has a chance to make an early statement when the Wildcats come to visit. The Mountain Hawks need to get back over the CAA hump. Their last win over a Top 25 CAA team was UNH in 2013.

No question this lead-off game is greatly anticipated. The problem is the first games can be very misleading in either direction. Some teams don't mesh as early as others. Some are much more experienced than others so that a match up in November can be very different than the same teams in early September. Both teams have a lot of material coming back this year, so one would expect a very good, and close game similar to last year's on the Main Line. I would be inclined to pick Lehigh by field goal with the home field "points" being the difference. Other than Nova, the confrontation with Fordham should be for the PL Championship. Rams have their QB returning, and Edmonds has his last rodeo. Should be a great game in the Bronx.

jmufan999
May 18th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Obvious choices would be Temple or JMU, but I think Richmond game is going to tell me more about Nova this season.

how's the QB situation? seems like that's been the missing piece the last few years, at least from the games I've watched. defense is great as usual.

Gangtackle11
May 18th, 2017, 07:44 AM
how's the QB situation? seems like that's been the missing piece the last few years, at least from the games I've watched. defense is great as usual.

Well, our starter is back for his junior season. He's statistically top 4-5 QB in CAA, but he's played small in big games. The hope is he will improve as he's now a junior, but anyone who watches Villanova football closely thinks he won't be anymore than a run 1st QB.

Talley consistently tried to convince the public & media that he is a big time talent, but most fans don't share that opinion. Villanova lost 4 games last season to Pitt, Richmond, JMU, & SDSU. They scored 0,0,7,7 from the offense in those games. The offense is stale under long time OC Sam Venuto. Team is very predictable and has little game breaking speed at WR position. They rely on smurf like receivers to make YAC plays, but it hasn't worked against the best of the CAA/FCS to date.

Our QB has happy feet. He's a very good runner, but he's too quick to take off. Missed a lot of big plays because he doesn't see secondary options often. That said, he's only behind Schor & Lauletta in the CAA as far as QB talent.

They did sign a FBS offered QB in this class that a lot of people are excited about his future. Time will tell.

carney2
May 18th, 2017, 08:37 AM
For Lafayette it has to be the opener at Monmouth. If Frank Tavani were still pacing the Leopard sideline I'd pencil this into the loss column with confidence. But the new coaching staff places a serious new wild card into the mix. Can the coaches cook up some chicken soup out of the chicken feathers they've been left with on offense? It will be exciting to see.

Oh wait, I probably won't see it. With Monmouth's revamped stadium getting its first game and still only able to handle a small high school "crowd," tickets for visitors may be in short supply. Add to that the fact that Monmouth has taken a page out of the Georgetown playbook and has refused permission for the reliable and entertaining Lafayette Sports Network to televise, and this game might just as well be played in the Holland Tunnel at midnight.

Fordham
May 18th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Eastern Washington coming to the Bronx on 9/16

centraljerseycat
May 18th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Very well stated on the QB situation and his primary backup last year did absolutely nothing in his limited action...but I wouldn't be surprised if redshirt frosh Schetelich or true frosh McCloskey challenge both for playing time before the year is over.
Plus I think a couple of last year's freshmen receivers (namely Hodge & Kerxton) will become the gamebreakers the offense sorely needs.

Gangtackle11
May 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Very well stated on the QB situation and his primary backup last year did absolutely nothing in his limited action...but I wouldn't be surprised if redshirt frosh Schetelich or true frosh McCloskey challenge both for playing time before the year is over.
Plus I think a couple of last year's freshmen receivers (namely Hodge & Kerxton) will become the gamebreakers the offense sorely needs.

Backup QB has moved to WR. Schetelich has John Robertson's like qualities. Like him a lot. The incoming frosh is coming in with great anticipation.

Hodge flashed above average ability when he came back from camp injury. Tall (6'1") WR. Needs to show that he's a dependable go to guy this season.

Iridebikes
May 18th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Eastern Washington coming to the Bronx on 9/16rri

I'm worried about this one for EWU. Traveling across the country one week after having NDSU at home and then going back on the road the next week to Missoula for a game with the Griz. Always a big one. Hope we don't overlook Fordham.

Thumper 76
May 18th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Probably Montana State, hopefully they are much improved over last year or SDSU's OOC is going to be weaker than wet tissue paper.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 18th, 2017, 11:15 AM
rri

I'm worried about this one for EWU. Traveling across the country one week after having NDSU at home and then going back on the road the next week to Missoula for a game with the Griz. Always a big one. Hope we don't overlook Fordham.

One would think if there was a year the PL was going to break through this would be the year. On paper, Fordham and Lehigh are loaded with offensive talent. Some of the top skill guys in FCS reside on these two rosters. The Lehigh-Villanova and Fordham-EWU games (both home games for the PL team) will paint a better picture of what scholarship PL is. Both have the potential to be Top 10 good.

Lehigh has a few key 5th year scholarship guys. There's no excuses. Both of these teams have built up talent bases that should be able to do damage.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 18th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Probably Montana State, hopefully they are much improved over last year or SDSU's OOC is going to be weaker than wet tissue paper.

Montana State and Delaware are two teams that will reemerge on the national scene imo. The Bobcats are finally ready to compete again after getting bogged down by Coach Ash's "mehness".

Iridebikes
May 18th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Montana State and Delaware are two teams that will reemerge on the national scene imo. The Bobcats are finally ready to compete again after getting bogged down by Coach Ash's "mehness".

I'm in agreement with you, I think the Bobcats are going to be a lot better this year. I think they won their last three games last year and were coming on. Young quarterback has another off- year to spend with the new coaching staff. I'm glad that we have them in Cheney this year. Would not be surprised if the played Washington State really tough. Not holding my breath but I think they will have a shot a winning that one.

McNeese72
May 18th, 2017, 03:30 PM
I will exclude the UCA game because that WILL be a rivalry game this year after the xasswhipxlast year xnodx. Otherwise I would say nothing is really anticipated. The OOC games are Alcorn State and Florida Tech so overall the schedule is plain vanilla and weak.

Agreed! Nothing on the schedule stands out.

Doc

Fordham
May 18th, 2017, 03:45 PM
rri

Didn't realize we scheduled this one so well! We'll still be big dogs

you making it out here, bikes?

Go...gate
May 18th, 2017, 05:55 PM
For Lafayette it has to be the opener at Monmouth. If Frank Tavani were still pacing the Leopard sideline I'd pencil this into the loss column with confidence. But the new coaching staff places a serious new wild card into the mix. Can the coaches cook up some chicken soup out of the chicken feathers they've been left with on offense? It will be exciting to see.

Oh wait, I probably won't see it. With Monmouth's revamped stadium getting its first game and still only able to handle a small high school "crowd," tickets for visitors may be in short supply. Add to that the fact that Monmouth has taken a page out of the Georgetown playbook and has refused permission for the reliable and entertaining Lafayette Sports Network to televise, and this game might just as well be played in the Holland Tunnel at midnight.

Unbelievable. LSN is a great network. Does Monmouth have any cable outlet?

DFW HOYA
May 18th, 2017, 06:36 PM

Wasn't there a little known codicil in the Patriot League by-laws that any refusal to broadcast the reliable and entertaining Lafayette Sports Network was grounds for double secret probation?

JALMOND
May 18th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Portland State out of conference---Oregon State. Always fun to play the Beavers.
Portland State in conference---Montana. Playing the Griz in Portland before the weather starts to get rainy.

Both games should be a lot of fun.

Go...gate
May 18th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Wasn't there a little known codicil in the Patriot League by-laws that any refusal to broadcast the reliable and entertaining Lafayette Sports Network was grounds for double secret probation?

No, but there should be. That is a very good network.

Iridebikes
May 19th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Didn't realize we scheduled this one so well! We'll still be big dogs

you making it out here, bikes?

Thanks for asking but no. That big city stuff makes me nervous. Trip over to Missoula the next week end will be nice however. Tamaracks will be turning gold, makes the mountains look like a football game at Lambeau field, all green and gold.

carney2
May 19th, 2017, 07:59 AM

If there isn't, there should be. I hereby nominate Bogie as our very own Robert S. Mueller III to get to the bottom of this travesty. All in favor ...

Fordham
May 19th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks for asking but no. That big city stuff makes me nervous. Trip over to Missoula the next week end will be nice however. Tamaracks will be turning gold, makes the mountains look like a football game at Lambeau field, all green and gold.
Sounds amazing in Missoula. You should give it a shot. Not as nerve-inducing as you think and some pretty cool stuff to cross off of your bucket list.

GAD
May 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
South Carolina State- It should be a pretty good game just not to sure about the how the teams will handle the heat. The heat is also why I'm not expecting a huge crowd for this one

citdog
May 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM
South Carolina State- It should be a pretty good game just not to sure about the how the teams will handle the heat. The heat is also why I'm not expecting a huge crowd for this one

Orangeburg, SC feels about what one would think Mercury would. That's a HOT place. The air just don't move.

kdinva
May 19th, 2017, 02:59 PM
... The air just don't move.

How's the air in Greenville? xtroublex

Grizalltheway
May 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Sounds amazing in Missoula. You should give it a shot. Not as nerve-inducing as you think and some pretty cool stuff to cross off of your bucket list.

I thought I would hate NYC but spent a week there several years ago and loved it. Cue citdog with the damn Yankee comments.

ASU33
May 19th, 2017, 05:05 PM

A noon kickoff on the Bluff in September is murder!

citdog
May 19th, 2017, 05:49 PM
How's the air in Greenville? xtroublex

Hard to tell with the hog farm like stench from the furman campus...

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Orangeburg, SC feels about what one would think Mercury would. That's a HOT place. The air just don't move.

Idk about that...always felt like Mercury would be more of a "dry heat".
South Carolina in (I assume) late summer always seemed like more of a "here's your complementary snorkel so you can swim to your seat" level of humidity to go along with that heat.

GAD
May 19th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I remember they tried day games a few times in the '80s part of the entertainment became people cheering for the EMTs as they ran around the stadium tending to people who had pasted out