PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 FCS to FBS Road Trips.

Catatonic
May 11th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Instead of hijacking the top FCS road trips thread, i thought I would start a new topic. What are your top experiences as a FCS program when playing FBS programs? I'm thinking maybe the list will differ from lists on the internet about schools that normally have great game day experiences because sometimes fans of these programs don't have a lot of enthusiasm for playing FCS teams which kills the game day vibe.....Or maybe not. Whatcha got?

Abilene Christian is still so new at this level that we don't have much experience but so far the hands down winner is Air Force Academy. Hard to beat playing a game with the Rockies in the back ground and all the military pageantry. Tail gating wasn't bad, but that's not what makes this experience special.

Daytripper
May 11th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Drove to College Station to watch SHSU play Texas A&M. Great tailgating, great (cultish) vibe. We kept is pretty close, which got the crowd into it more. And, of course, it didn't hurt to watch Johnny Manziel do his thing...

McNeese72
May 11th, 2017, 09:20 AM
LSU (2010, more than 2015)
Texas A&M (2001)
ULL (2007, because we beat the snot out of them)

These are the trips that I made that were the best.

Edit: Nebraska in 2002 wasn't bad. I didn't make the last Nebraska trip in 2014.

Doc

ElCid
May 11th, 2017, 09:24 AM
2008 - Clemson, always a great game day, the whole place was electric, tailgating was overwhelming, friendliness, stadium excitement, etc. were all great. Stadium was almost full. Lots of El Cid fans in the stadium as well, lots of people wearing both Blue and Orange!
1984 - South Carolina, my senior year, went with my future wife, great party, nice atmosphere, and we almost beat them as well, should have. Lots of dual fans in the stadium as well, there are many mixed families in SC.:D The entire stadium (71K strong) was on its feet the last quarter as the slugfest was decided.
1991 - Army, who wouldn't like a game at West Point (luckily I was stationed in upstate NY at the time), the pageantry, the tailgating, all great, always fun playing another military school......Oh yeah, we also won the game

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech 1984, my senior year, its Hotlanta, who wouldn't have a great time? Picture cadets invading Frat Row prior to the game, and they were awesome hosts as well, most were yelling to us on the street to come in and have beer with them. It was a big street party. Stadium had all the pageantry one would expect.

Professor Chaos
May 11th, 2017, 09:29 AM
And, of course, it didn't hurt to watch Johnny Manziel do his thing...
Are you referring to him on the field or at the night club after the game?

For me the top two were Minnesota and Colorado St. For Minnesota it was mostly due to the army of NDSU fans that blitzed downtown Minneapolis and the U of M campus for those games. For Colorado St it was a beautiful area of the country with gorgeous weather and something like 8 hours of tailgating. It helped that flights were cheap since there's plenty of direct flights from Fargo to Denver.

ST_Lawson
May 11th, 2017, 09:58 AM
It's always fun when we go up to Northern Illinois and beat them. My Leathernecks are 4-1 in WIU vs NIU games I've been to at Northern.

As for actual atmosphere...before the game, probably Mizzou. During the game, I'd say Illinois (especially halftime...Marching Illini is one of my favorite of the big college bands).

McNeese75
May 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Best (McNeese was competitive in all these)
LSU
Texas A&M
Nebraska

Worse
Missouri
Kansas State
Southern Mississipi

Evolution Prime
May 11th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Been to Nebraska twice, Kansas twice, Missouri once and Iowa State once.

1) & 2)Best trip by far was the Nebraska trips. Only an hour and a half away, great fan base, nice stadium, and it also help I am also a Husker fan. Could have pulled out the first game and did have a lead in the second game.

3) Second game against Kansas. The game SDSU finally pulls out an FBS win. Sure, Kansas stunk, but it was nice seeing SDSU get the FBS monkey off its back.

Worst was Missouri. Mostly because it was hot as hell out.

FUBeAR
May 11th, 2017, 10:32 AM
1984 - South Carolina, my senior year, went with my future wife, great party, nice atmosphere, and we almost beat them as well, should have. Lots of dual fans in the stadium as well, there are many mixed families in SC.:D The entire stadium (71K strong) was on its feet the last quarter as the slugfest was decided.

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech 1984, my senior year, its Hotlanta, who wouldn't have a great time? Picture cadets invading Frat Row prior to the game, and they were awesome hosts as well, most were yelling to us on the street to come in and have beer with them. It was a big street party. Stadium had all the pageantry one would expect.

1) 1982 - @ South Carolina - WE whooped 'em good. Went head-to-head vs. a Playboy All-American, Outland Trophy Candidate, Future NFL (Falcons) DLman...as I said WE whooped 'em good.

2) 1983 - @ Georgia Tech - WE whooped 'em good. Coaching in the box that day and got to ride down the elevator with the whooped GT Coaching Stuff (BWAHA HA HA!!!)

3) 1984 - @ NC State - WE whooped 'em good. Got pulled out of the stands in the 2nd Quarter to Coach the OL the rest of the game cuz the OL Coach was havin' heart palpitations.

Honorable Mention: 1985 - @ NC State - just a Fan that day and WE whooped 'em even gooder!!

GodHelpTheBears
May 11th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Instead of hijacking the top FCS road trips thread, i thought I would start a new topic. What are your top experiences as a FCS program when playing FBS programs? I'm thinking maybe the list will differ from lists on the internet about schools that normally have great game day experiences because sometimes fans of these programs don't have a lot of enthusiasm for playing FCS teams which kills the game day vibe.....Or maybe not. Whatcha got?

Abilene Christian is still so new at this level that we don't have much experience but so far the hands down winner is Air Force Academy. Hard to beat playing a game with the Rockies in the back ground and all the military pageantry. Tail gating wasn't bad, but that's not what makes this experience special.

I have Arkansas at #1 because Fayetteville rules, and the drive down is nice and purty. I wish Springfield had a Dickson Street.

Oklahoma State is #2, most people think of Stillwater as a craphole but it's my ideal version of a small town. It is person-for-person the best country music town with more good eats than you'd think a small town in Oklahoma would have. Bonus points are given to the fan base, who were polite before the game and gracious after, since our guys actually kept it kind of close that day.

Even though the game hasn't happened yet, I'll put Mizzou last. Their fans are actually rather nice (although fan interaction in September will be a ****show since it's between us), but Columbia is in that weird spot where it's getting too large to be a college town, but too small to feel distinct. Really, it feels like Springfield without the hillbilly quirks. Not a bad place, just kind of bland.

UNIFanSince1983
May 11th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Been to Nebraska twice, Kansas twice, Missouri once and Iowa State once.

1) & 2)Best trip by far was the Nebraska trips. Only an hour and a half away, great fan base, nice stadium, and it also help I am also a Husker fan. Could have pulled out the first game and did have a lead in the second game.

3) Second game against Kansas. The game SDSU finally pulls out an FBS win. Sure, Kansas stunk, but it was nice seeing SDSU get the FBS monkey off its back.

Worst was Missouri. Mostly because it was hot as hell out.

Yeah I may be biased since I live in Lincoln and my wife works at the University, but games at Nebraska are amazing. I recommend anyone who really likes college football to make a trip to a Husker game.

citdog
May 11th, 2017, 12:41 PM
1. Arkansas 10-3 win
2. Carolina 38-35 and 23-22 win
3. Army 15-14 win

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Best- Auburn. Being in a stadium with 87,000 Barners who are stunned to silence for 59 minutes was completely surreal. Too bad it couldn't last 60 minutes.

Schism55
May 11th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Best- Auburn. Being in a stadium with 87,000 Barners who are stunned to silence for 59 minutes I was completely surreal. Too bad it couldn't last 60 minutes.
Horseshoes and hand grenades...

BEAR
May 11th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Best- Loiusiana Tech. Hillsides full of tailgaters. Food and drink shared everywhere. Stadium announcer was drunk.
Average- Ole Miss. Tailgate but no grills. Everyone wore khakis and dresses. Led at halftime and their fans left.
Poor- Arkansas State- Poor tailgating. Rude fans. No wifi. Food ran out in vendor area. Bathrooms were OLD and nasty.

ASU33
May 11th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Best-Troy. Long-time in state rival and the game with them usually has a nice atmosphere and a lot of mingling between the fan bases.

Average-Kentucky. I was extremely underwhelmed. The stadium was half empty and the atmosphere was dead.

Poor- Eastern Michigan. It was awful. There were maybe 3,000 inside of the stadium and about half of them were affiliated with ASU or another HBCU. On top of the poor atmosphere the ref's home cooking had me cursing all game.

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Horseshoes and hand grenades...
As I said. Shame it couldn't last 60 minutes.

Considering my other two FBS games were a rainy game in Death Valley and spending three hours cramped like sardines on the sidelines watching a beat down at Michigan State, Auburn easily takes the cake for me.

huskie
May 11th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern

Bisonoline
May 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Yeah I may be biased since I live in Lincoln and my wife works at the University, but games at Nebraska are amazing. I recommend anyone who really likes college football to make a trip to a Husker game.

I encountered some NE fans that sat around us at the Iowa game last year. They were rude, mouthy and really had no idea how the game is played. Ignorant would be the best description. By the end of the game they were crying about every play that should have been in NE favor that a penalty flag wasnt thrown. In all my years in this game I have never seen such behavior.

dewey
May 11th, 2017, 09:51 PM
The Iowa game for me. I got to take my 6.5 year old son, my wife and my buddy to the game. We all got to play bags within 50 feet of Kinnick Stadium with some friends. Great game.

We also took the Hawkeye Express in from the outskirts.

Dewey

Bisonoline
May 11th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Best FCS to FBS?

Kansas State
Iowa State
Iowa

The U of Kansas game was the worst. What a bunch of dick wads.

BisonTru
May 11th, 2017, 09:57 PM
The Iowa game for me. I got to take my 6.5 year old son, my wife and my buddy to the game. We all got to play bags within 50 feet of Kinnick Stadium with some friends. Great game.

We also took the Hawkeye Express in from the outskirts.

Dewey

Ditto. Only difference from your post is I didn't play bags and we had a group of friends joining us. Our sons are the same age.

dewey
May 11th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Ditto. Only difference from your post is I didn't play bags and we had a group of friends joining us. Our sons are the same age.

Pretty dang special to be able to bring the kids with to the games. My oldest son has been to Frisco, Kinnick and SDSU.

My other two favorite GAS at FBS games wears when NDSU beat the U of MN in 2007 and 2011.

I didn't make it to Kansas State or Colorado State. Or any other FBS games for that matter.

Dewey

BisonTru
May 11th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Pretty dang special to be able to bring the kids with to the games. My oldest son has been to Frisco, Kinnick and SDSU.

My other two favorite GAS at FBS games wears when NDSU beat the U of MN in 2007 and 2011.

I didn't make it to Kansas State or Colorado State. Or any other FBS games for that matter.

Dewey

Yeah it is. My son can name probably half our starters.

mango433
May 12th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Funnest time I had at an FBS game was the SDSU-Iowa State game just because the tailgating was fantastic.

Nebraska was pretty weak, didn't enjoy it as much as everyone said I would.

Only other FBS game I've been to was the SDSU-Minnesota game and I covered it for the school paper. I sat in the press box at TCF and didn't really get to experience it.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I have been the NDSU-Iowa State game (the one we lost), great tailgating and pretty good fans. We tailgated with equipment dealers that had a deal set-up, pretty nice. Huge crowd, I really didn't think it would be full but it was. The better team didn't win that day, the Bison made a couple of bad plays that turned the game around but oh well.

I think that is the only FCS-FBS game I have been to, I need to get out more. I will be going to future FBS games and was going to go to the Iowa game but decided not to. That was a yugely poor decision on my part.

Tribe4SF
May 12th, 2017, 09:22 AM
2009 26-14 Tribe win at UVA. Always great up there as we tailgate two blocks from the stadium.

Any trip to Blacksburg to play Va. Tech. Hokie and Tribe fans root for each other and we have a huge, joint tailgate. Top memories from 2007. Game was 5 months after Va. Tech massacre and most Tribe fans wore T-shirts in Hokie colors and logo with Tribe green&gold feathers attached to their logo. Back read: "April 16, 2007.... Today we are all Hokies".

2005 36-24 loss to Marshall and 2013 24-17 loss to West Virginia. These stand out for incredible hospitality from opposing fans, and tremendous tailgate scenes.

catamount man
May 12th, 2017, 01:23 PM
I've only been to one WCU "money game" and that was 2011 at Georgia Tech. Frat row is indeed...festive. Nice stadium and just sits right out of plain site off I-85 in midtown Atlanta. Several convenient bars in the area as well. GT fans are nice as well. GO CATS!!!

UNIFanSince1983
May 12th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I encountered some NE fans that sat around us at the Iowa game last year. They were rude, mouthy and really had no idea how the game is played. Ignorant would be the best description. By the end of the game they were crying about every play that should have been in NE favor that a penalty flag wasnt thrown. In all my years in this game I have never seen such behavior.

I think you are going to encounter those types of fans everywhere. I know normally when I go to Iowa City in encounter about 70k of them. Jokes aside there are those guys in every fan base. In fact I used to sit by a few of them at the McLeod center for UNI basketball.

If you are just there to get as drunk as possible then Iowa City is a great time. If you are looking for a fun time with an electric football atmosphere then Lincoln is the place to go. Of course you have to realize these people live and breath Big Red football, and fan is short for fanatic.

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2017, 08:35 PM
UNI@BYU, UNH@Toledo, Montana @ Tennessee (the last two were a Thursday/Saturday in the same weekend, one of my best football weekends)

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I haven't been to many...

1. Army - Just awesome. Unless you've been to West Point it might not make sense. Words can't do it justice...
2. Syracuse - Went to the Villanova-Syracuse game 3 years ago. Great atmosphere between two old Big East hoops rivals.
3. Temple - College football matters a little bit more in Philly when Temple and Villanova do battle.

Bucs2016
May 12th, 2017, 09:15 PM

1. Vanderbilt. We lost by 1 and handed them the game. But Nashville is amazing. Great music food and ladies. Great fans. Wonderful trip.
2. South Florida. Went here as a player and fan. The one as a fan: Ibor City!!!! Go! The USF cheer and dance squads...um...wow.
3. Bama- Got curb stomped. But the history and mistique of that place was something to behold.

Hood
May 12th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Everything about my trip to Memphis was outstanding. The city, the people, the stadium, and the fans. Not one bad experience.

I enjoyed both of my trips to Ruston (LA Tech) from a "the people were nice" standpoint but it's a pretty boring town, honestly. Most of the other FBS trips I've made were to schools with poor fan bases, rude fan bases, or just poor game day presentation.

GAD
May 13th, 2017, 05:11 AM
I have only been to one of our FBS games at UL-L that day the tailgate was amazing as we shattered their attendance records which had been set by the Texas A&M Aggies and the Alabama Crimson Tide.

ASU33
May 13th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I have only been to one of our FBS games at UL-L that day the tailgate was amazing as we shattered their attendance records which had been set by the Texas A&M Aggies and the Alabama Crimson Tide.

That was a true takeover! SU did the same thing against La Tech in 2015

GAD
May 13th, 2017, 09:18 AM
That was a true takeover! SU did the same thing against La Tech in 2015
xlolxThe Jag Nation took over their student section that day, the ushers told everyone that it was general admission and that they could sit where ever they wanted to. La Techs students began to show up and had nowhere to sit, after that game the student section is now clearly marked

Mike296
May 13th, 2017, 05:48 PM
My only FCS vs FBS experience was Cal Poly vs Wisconsin back in like 2007 I think it was, Camp Randall is a great atmosphere to be in, if you've never been there you don't know what you're missing

cx500d
May 13th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Well, there won't be any FCS games there anymore.

My only FCS vs FBS experience was Cal Poly vs Wisconsin back in like 2007 I think it was, Camp Randall is a great atmosphere to be in, if you've never been there you don't know what you're missing

malibudude
May 13th, 2017, 07:17 PM

November 2008.

uni88
May 14th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Camp Randall is an awesome experience. Sat a few rows from the field on the 50 yd line amidst a sea of red when UNI played there. Caught a lot of crap early but that changed to respect when UNI took them to the wire.

I wouldn't take young kids there though. The **** you / eat ***** chants from students isn't good for kids.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

citdog
May 14th, 2017, 11:34 AM
The northernmost Confederate Cemetery is at Camp Randall. Here is a fella decorating the graves of our gallant boys on Confederate Memorial Day.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/47/a470ffc4-c853-5dfc-984a-343c64317a46/558f7aec430b6.image.jpg?resize=950%2C630

cx500d
May 14th, 2017, 02:16 PM
The northernmost Confederate Cemetery is at Camp Randall. Here is a fella decorating the graves of our gallant boys on Confederate Memorial Day.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/47/a470ffc4-c853-5dfc-984a-343c64317a46/558f7aec430b6.image.jpg?resize=950%2C630

Looks like they were missing one flag....must be the one displayed in the Minnesota Capitol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citdog
May 14th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Looks like they were missing one flag....must be the one displayed in the Minnesota Capitol.

If I am ever in Minnesota, I'm not from Somalia so it's unlikely, that flag will be heading home...

DirtyDukes
May 15th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Best trip was to VT. My best friend's family are all huge Hokie fans and have a huge tailgate in a lot next to the stadium. We tailgated with them all morning. At the start of the morning it was beautiful out, not a cloud in the sky, and the chance of rain was only 10%. My buddy's dad asked what I thought our chances were. I said same as the rain 10%. When an hour before kickoff it started to rain, we both laughed but thought nothing of it.

To their eternal credit, they were the only Hokies that stayed and tailgated after the game. Everyone else packed up and gtfoot. I still think I had a minor cardiac issue after the game; I was just wondering around in a haze. Best sports day of my life.

cx500d
May 15th, 2017, 09:26 PM
If I am ever in Minnesota, I'm not from Somalia so it's unlikely, that flag will be heading home...

As quick as they are ripping up and throwing away confederate monuments , artifacts, and history in the south, you should be thanking the state of Minnesota for keeping the 28th Virginia's battle flag safe from getting destroyed or burned by the state of Virginia.

citdog
May 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
As quick as they are ripping up and throwing away confederate monuments , artifacts, and history in the south, you should be thanking the state of Minnesota for keeping the 28th Virginia's battle flag safe from getting destroyed or burned by the state of Virginia.

actually most of our Flags are here

https://www.theclio.com/web/ul/8566.49693.jpg

Catatonic
May 16th, 2017, 07:11 AM
For ACU the best is yet to come....

With the notable exception of Air Force, our FCS to FBS experiences have ranged from blah to ho hum. New Mexico State, Georgia State, Troy, and Fresno.

Things are looking up starting this fall though...

Abilene Christian travels to Fort Collins this fall to play Colorado State in its brand new stadium, which looks to be one of the nicest mid-major facilities in the country.

We go down the road to Waco next year to play Baylor, which looked a lot more attractive a year ago. Even with all their problems, McClain Stadium is still a grand place to play.

cx500d
May 16th, 2017, 06:36 PM
How soon before it gets bulldozed?

actually most of our Flags are here

https://www.theclio.com/web/ul/8566.49693.jpg

TheKingpin28
May 16th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Just say some trans-pan gendered, non-conforming, atheist, who is attracted to dolphins works there and that place will be worshiped by weeks end of the left. They are too blind to understand how things are or the way things work and could look past the museum. As has been stated before, you put a (D) behind Satan and the left would find a way to vote for Satan.

citdog
May 16th, 2017, 11:17 PM

Never. The museum is located in the home of the President of The Confederate States.

https://billingshistory2010.wikispaces.com/file/view/White-House-of-the-Confederacy-big.jpg/138764197/387x246/White-House-of-the-Confederacy-big.jpg

cx500d
May 17th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Never. The museum is located in the home of the President of The Confederate States.

https://billingshistory2010.wikispaces.com/file/view/White-House-of-the-Confederacy-big.jpg/138764197/387x246/White-House-of-the-Confederacy-big.jpg

I'll give it until the next dem president...

number1
May 22nd, 2017, 07:40 PM
When did this turn into a confederate memorial thread?

Back to the original topic.....

1. Georgia- First time ever watching a college football game in an SEC stadium. It was nice seeing our team hang with the Bulldogs for the entire 1st half.

2. UL-Lafayette- That 2009 game was a sight to see, and was a pretty exciting game for the first half before they took over in the 2nd half.

3. UL-Monroe-Another takeover, and it was a nice, competitive game that I feel we should have won with a few more accurate passes.

Daytripper
May 22nd, 2017, 07:42 PM
When did this turn into a confederate memorial thread?

Back to the original topic.....

1. Georgia- First time ever watching a college football game in an SEC stadium. It was nice seeing our team hang with the Bulldogs for the entire 1st half.

2. UL-Lafayette- That 2009 game was a sight to see, and was a pretty exciting game for the first half before they took over in the 2nd half.

3. UL-Monroe-Another takeover, and it was a nice, competitive game that I feel we should have won with a few more accurate passes.

Well, citdog...xdrunkyx