PDA

View Full Version : What is your Top 3 road game experiences in FCS??? (Best food advice also!)

Bucs2016
May 10th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Some May offseason filler. Whats your 3 best away FCS game experiences as a player or fan? And if you have food recommendations for them please share.

1. The Citadel. I know its just 15 miles from my alma mater but its "away" and last time I went in 2015 we got a hotel downtown. Walked to the game after watching early SEC games at a bar, spent morning at beach. Big nice stadium. Great weather. Cool military stuff. Charleston women. We won which was nice. I'm telling yall....theres few cities like this and having a nice big FCS stadium in walking distance is hard to beat. I was also at the last App State @ Citadel game (girlfriend went to ASU). Dogs beat em. That was an incredible atmosphere. Best thing here is the huge video board and fans right on top of the field. Cannons echo off walls. Ashley River in background. And bro....they serve Chic Fil A sandwiches!!! Delicious!! If you get a chance this is a great place to come see a game.

2. Wofford. Very nice comfortable stadium. Parking was very well set up. Their fans were so cool to us and offered us tailgate food. Afterwards we went to The Beacon which apparently is somewhat famous. And I know why. Jesus Christ it was good but you'd die at age 40 if you went every day. Im big on parking and access. They have a Starbucks within short walking distance (it was cold and I love coffee!). The NFLs Panthers train here so everything is very well done and clean. And theres a huge grass hill under the scoreboard the kids can slide down on cardboard. It was just a spectacular small college football environment.

3. SC State. This was back in the late 90s when they were really good. Kinda big stadium. But let me tell ya...when their marching band is rocking and its a close game, and their stadium is packed, thats as fun of a game as you can be part of. The energy in that place was crazy with the band going.

ASU33
May 10th, 2017, 07:42 PM
1. Southern- One word to describe it........ELECTRIC! Southern has one of the best fan bases in all of FCS football and they make it absolutely hell on opposing teams. The Human Jukebox only adds fuel to the fire. Southern are the Undisputed Kings of the parking lot. They have tailgating from one end of campus to the other end. Be prepared to have a taste of everything in the tailgate area from gumbo, to grilled gator, to ribs, brats, and everything in-between.

2. Jackson State- like Southern, Jackson State has a HUGE fan base and a helluva marching band. Great atmosphere for a ball game and great tailgating. Loud fan base, great atmosphere, and beautiful women.

3. FAMU-We've only been down there twice in the last 15 years but it's a helluva atmosphere. Nothing like going into the stadium and seeing all of the historic FAMU teams on the walls. I can only speak on FAMU from a player's standpoint but from what I know the tailgating and pregame stuff is also epic!

Bucs2016
May 10th, 2017, 08:42 PM
1. Southern- One word to describe it........ELECTRIC! Southern has one of the best fan bases in all of FCS football and they make it absolutely hell on opposing teams. The Human Jukebox only adds fuel to the fire. Southern are the Undisputed Kings of the parking lot. They have tailgating from one end of campus to the other end. Be prepared to have a taste of everything in the tailgate area from gumbo, to grilled gator, to ribs, brats, and everything in-between.

2. Jackson State- like Southern, Jackson State has a HUGE fan base and a helluva marching band. Great atmosphere for a ball game and great tailgating. Loud fan base, great atmosphere, and beautiful women.

3. FAMU-We've only been down there twice in the last 15 years but it's a helluva atmosphere. Nothing like going into the stadium and seeing all of the historic FAMU teams on the walls. I can only speak on FAMU from a player's standpoint but from what I know the tailgating and pregame stuff is also epic!

Sounds awesome. I think SC States band is called Marching 101 or something. But when we played em it was packed, like 20k ppl and the band was 100x better than any sound system a stadium could have. My parents said the tailgating was unmatched anywherd they ever went.

And...the heckling was classic. We were one of the only non HBCU teams to visit their place. They yelled "we dont sell sunscreen here" (it was 100 degrees that day) and other things that poked fun at us but never crossed into inappropriate. The best was "CSU, why yall got 50 kickers on yalls team?" (State had 1 white dude, the kicker) Haha!

ASU33
May 10th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Sounds awesome. I think SC States band is called Marching 101 or something. But when we played em it was packed, like 20k ppl and the band was 100x better than any sound system a stadium could have. My parents said the tailgating was unmatched anywherd they ever went.

And...the heckling was classic. We were one of the only non HBCU teams to visit their place. They yelled "we dont sell sunscreen here" (it was 100 degrees that day) and other things that poked fun at us but never crossed into inappropriate. The best was "CSU, why yall got 50 kickers on yalls team?" (State had 1 white dude, the kicker) Haha!

SC State has a VERY nice gameday atmosphere. I've been up to O-Burg a few times.

Bucs2016
May 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM
SC State has a VERY nice gameday atmosphere. I've been up to O-Burg a few times.

We played there twice in the last 5 years of Willie Jeffries career. That man was a great one.

ASU33
May 10th, 2017, 09:12 PM
We played there twice in the last 5 years of Willie Jeffries career. That man was a great one.

The one time we played them during my time was down in Birmingham for the 2005 MEAC/SWAC challenge. The brought nice following down to Birmingham.

huskie
May 10th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Best
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
North Dakota State

Worst
Youngstown
Indiana State
South Dakota State

POD Knows
May 10th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Outside of the FCS Championship game in TX, the NDSU/Montana game a couple years ago in Missoula was awesome, took the wife down and meet BF02 down there.

Got in on Thursday, ate at a couple cool places downtown, can't remember where they were, ate at the Montana Club up by our hotel, ate appetizers and drank for the most part. Decent.

Alpha Griz hosted a tailgate so we mooched food and beer off of him, it was great. Meet Ursus and Citdog down there, got a tour of the Hall of Fame for U of M, pretty cool. Somebody has made arrangements for this beer bus deal, I wasn't on it but some of the homies from back in my home town were and they pulled up and parked illegally when we were doing the Hall of Fame tour. The pic is from when they pulled up, we stood there and drank beer for awhile. The bus a a great sound system and beer taps on the outside.

Bison lost, game sucked, crowd was good. Couple guys I was standing next to had a sign that said "it smells like ash in here" because the fires were really bad and the smoke was bad and a couple of people walked up to where we were standing and gave them hell, zero sense of humor.

I love that part of Montana would like to retire out there sometime maybe.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24969&stc=1

Scrappy94
May 11th, 2017, 02:08 AM
Best
Western Carolina
Sam Houston State
The Citadel

Worst
Jacksonville State
Samford
Furman

JSUSoutherner
May 11th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Best
Western Carolina
Sam Houston State
The Citadel

Worst
Jacksonville State
Samford
Furman
Salty xlolx

That was a fantastic game and you know it.

Bucs2016
May 11th, 2017, 06:23 AM
Best
Western Carolina
Sam Houston State
The Citadel

Worst
Jacksonville State
Samford
Furman

Ooooh a worst 3? I didnt do that but I like it. My worst 3:

- Jacksonville (old "stadium"). Now Im in no position to rip a stadium bc CSUs is pretty bad. But at least its a bad stadium....JU was literally a field with a BERM for its home stands and wood planks for visitors. Yes. No stadium. No metal bleachers. Nothing. Add in the biblical Armageddon of mosquitoes....does Duval County not spray at all??? And then the city. If you're into meth, strippers and tacky Jaguars gear then this is for you. Fans and players were really nice. They deserve better and have since gotten a really nice new stadium.

- Austin Peay. Played here twice. Won and got the heck out. They have since renovated. But back then their "turf" was literally green carpet glued to concrete. It had 4 or 5 or so holes in it where you actually touched concrete. Shocked NCAA let it play. Clarksville. Meh. And they're named the Governors. Just reminds me of government. Just not a fun trip at all.

- West Liberty State. So....CSU for some reason traveled to D2 WLSU in Wheeling WV. Why? I dont know. But my Lord....it was an experience. Rudest fans ever seen. Every stereotype of people in WV unfortunately was enforced. Halftime locker room was a baseball field, just sit on the grass. Had bottles of tobacco spit thrown at us. Wheeling seemed like everything was 10-15 years behind the rest of America. Still not sure how we ended up playing there. They were a scrappy D2 squad. We werent very good at all for D1 but we did win thank God because it was the only positive thing that weekend.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Worst? Easy, the last time NDSU played SDSU in Brookings. Fans were complete dickheads which was weird because I had been down there quite a few times prior to that and it was pretty good. There are a bunch of guys I work with that are SDSU grads and do a pretty nice tailgating thing but even the guys in that group (friends of theirs, not friends of mine) were assholes. Really negative vibe.

Sat up in the top couple rows at about the 20 yard line with about 6 other Bison fans, all we heard was "**** the Bison" over and over again, lots of little kids around too, completely classless. They were still doing it when they were down by 3 TD's in the second quarter. Some Bison fans reported vandalism to tailgating rigs, I didn't see any of that but heard about it.

I have never had a negative experience at any other away game.

Sammy94
May 11th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Best -

Frisco
McNeese
BOTPW

Worst-

Southeast Louisiana
Northwestern St.
Jacksonville St.

McNeese75
May 11th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Best

Montana
App State
Chattanooga (Natty games)

Worst

Alcorn State
Nicholls State
Abilene Christian (long drive,no tailgating and very few fans but I expect this to improve with the new facilities this year)

Evolution Prime
May 11th, 2017, 10:48 AM
I really need to get out. The only two road FCS games I have been to are the two playoff games in Fargo. I only tailgated at the first one since the second game was so damn cold out. My experience at both games were positive. Tailgating was great the first game. Got invited in to some tents. Some good natured ribbing.

All other road games I have been to are FBS.

Evolution Prime
May 11th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Worst? Easy, the last time NDSU played SDSU in Brookings. Fans were complete dickheads which was weird because I had been down there quite a few times prior to that and it was pretty good. There are a bunch of guys I work with that are SDSU grads and do a pretty nice tailgating thing but even the guys in that group (friends of theirs, not friends of mine) were assholes. Really negative vibe.

Sat up in the top couple rows at about the 20 yard line with about 6 other Bison fans, all we heard was "**** the Bison" over and over again, lots of little kids around too, completely classless. They were still doing it when they were down by 3 TD's in the second quarter. Some Bison fans reported vandalism to tailgating rigs, I didn't see any of that but heard about it.

I have never had a negative experience at any other away game.

No excuses for that type of behavior. Nothing wrong with good natured fun between fan bases, but there are always idiots who take things too far. I hope if you come down this year, it is a complete turn around from what you say happened last time. However, I can see how this may sour you on gameday in Brookings.

GodHelpTheBears
May 11th, 2017, 11:26 AM
The way our conference is shaping up, I'd have to start a Top 3 airplane game experiences thread. It would be much easier if Delta started a SGF-MSP route, but Delta doesn't like us for some reason.

UNIFanSince1983
May 11th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I think I have only been to 3 UNI FCS away games Drake, ISUr and WIU. All 3 were sort of sub-par. I wouldn't call any of them a great experience. Normal was a fun town after the game, but man their fans were pricks.

Now hopefully next season I can make the trip to Missoula when UNI plays there.

ASU33
May 11th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Best

Montana
App State
Chattanooga (Natty games)

Worst

Alcorn State
Nicholls State
Abilene Christian (long drive,no tailgating and very few fans but I expect this to improve with the new facilities this year)

Alcorn's experience can be great or awful all depending on if they're fielding a good team or not. Lately "The Reservation" has been rocking!

Daytripper
May 11th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Best -

Frisco
McNeese
BOTPW

Worst-

Southeast Louisiana
Northwestern St.
Jacksonville St.

Was at McNeese for the playoff win a couple of years ago. The one yard line to punting game. Great atmosphere. Great fans. The only jerks were young drunk SHSU fans. Eat at Steamboat Bill's.

Scrappy94
May 11th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Salty xlolx

That was a fantastic game and you know it.

No it was not! Your fans were assholes. I know every team has a few fans that will be asses, but that seemed to be your entire fan base. Even your players were classless. One of my friends who is a military veteran attending UTC had one of your players jump into the stands after the game, and go up to his face even though his little boy was sitting next to him. Your player said right in his face and in front of his little kid, "F*** you!" Absolutely unacceptable behavior! It's bad enough that one of your players said that to a military veteran (and it was obvious that he was veteran with what he was wearing), but it makes it even worse that he did it in front of a kid that had to be no more than 8 years old! The stadium was dirty and cramped. Seems like you all sacrifice space for capacity. The teams barely fit on the sidelines they were so narrow. You would think a playoff game of all games would constitute having a clean stadium, but the whole place was filthy. The field looked old and worn out. Should I go on? Putting the game aside, this was the worst football road trip experience I've ever had.

Bucs2016
May 11th, 2017, 07:10 PM
No excuses for that type of behavior. Nothing wrong with good natured fun between fan bases, but there are always idiots who take things too far. I hope if you come down this year, it is a complete turn around from what you say happened last time. However, I can see how this may sour you on gameday in Brookings.

Those types almost never actually went to the school, especially true at large public flagship schools. I went to a South Carolina vs Georgia game. I saw more WWF wannabe drunk illiterate rednecks, actually assaulting others, than I care to remember. Probably 100k ppl there w attendance plus tailgate crowd. Id estimate about 1000 fit that description I gave and ruined it for others. 1000000% chance they never even got accepted to those 2 fine universities.

BisonTru
May 11th, 2017, 07:27 PM
1. Frisco - Go eat at Tight Ends or Wild Pitch. They could serve cardboard and I would recommend this place. Scenery. xthumbsupx

2. Montana - Stockman's Bar. This place might actually serve cardboard (idk), but's its a fun bar.

3. UNI - Only other place I've been outside of USD and UND. Don't eat in Grand Forks or Vermilion. :D

Bisonoline
May 11th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Montana
Montana State
Frisco

The Montana and Montana State fans are with out a doubt the best fans Ive ever met. Only other fans that could come close were the Kansas State fans.

Honorable mention goes to UNI but all they did was bitch about the Hawkeye fans.

BisonTru
May 11th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Montana
Montana State
Frisco

The Montana and Montana State fans are with out a doubt the best fans Ive ever met. Only other fans that could come close were the Kansas State fans.

Montana's fans were awesome. Of course it's a little easier after they beat us. I didn't go to KSU but from the reports from friends that did, they were extremely complimentary after they took a loss.

Speaking of your hawkeyes. On Friday night the bartender came over and said I'm kinda rooting for you guys. I said cool but why. He said all Iowa fans leave town if they lose and I'm not so busy. Boy was he right. Saturday night was almost all Bison fans. The Iowa fans were nice after the game, but they seemed pretty down.

ASU33
May 11th, 2017, 07:47 PM
No it was not! Your fans were assholes. I know every team has a few fans that will be asses, but that seemed to be your entire fan base. Even your players were classless. One of my friends who is a military veteran attending UTC had one of your players jump into the stands after the game, and go up to his face even though his little boy was sitting next to him. Your player said right in his face and in front of his little kid, "F*** you!" Absolutely unacceptable behavior! It's bad enough that one of your players said that to a military veteran (and it was obvious that he was veteran with what he was wearing), but it makes it even worse that he did it in front of a kid that had to be no more than 8 years old! The stadium was dirty and cramped. Seems like you all sacrifice space for capacity. The teams barely fit on the sidelines they were so narrow. You would think a playoff game of all games would constitute having a clean stadium, but the whole place was filthy. The field looked old and worn out. Should I go on? Putting the game aside, this was the worst football road trip experience I've ever had.

Interesting......I've been to JSU a few times and I think they have a nice setting for college football.

Scrappy94
May 11th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Interesting......I've been to JSU a few times and I think they have a nice setting for college football.

It was a horrible experience when I went. It's going to take a lot for another road trip to overtake that one as the worst. Their fans and players were awful that trip. I've never seen so many rude people in my life. I never want to go back to that place again. I will not be making the trip next time we play in Jacksonville. I will stay home and watch from the internet. JSU is the only away trip that I can say that I never plan on making again.

The Cats
May 11th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I've been on road trips to all the current SoCon members, and have never had any problems from fans of the current members.

However, Georgia Southern had the worst fans in the FCS before they moved to the Sun Belch. They have their student seating on what would be the visitor's side, right next to the visitors seating. They are probably the rudest and vulgar student body in college athletics. As a visiting fan, I'd never take my family to gnatsboro.

Scrappy94
May 11th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I've been on road trips to all the current SoCon members, and have never had any problems from fans of the current members.

However, Georgia Southern had the worst fans in the FCS before they moved to the Sun Belch. They have their student seating on what would be the visitor's side, right next to the visitors seating. They are probably the rudest and vulgar student body in college athletics. As a visiting fan, I'd never take my family to gnatsboro.

Yeah. They are almost as bad as JSU. I had a bad experience during my one road trip to Georgia Southern. Their fans threw eggs at our car because it had a UTC sticker on the window. Didn't care for sitting next to the student section. Heard their student section was very rude to the band. Apparently they egged the band's bus on that trip too. This was back during the 2013 trip. I didn't include them on my list since they are FBS now, but I guess I could include them since they were FCS as the time. Guess that means I can add App State to my list too since I went there when they were still FCS back in 2013. That would make my list look like this now.

Best:
Sam Houston State
The Citadel
App State

Worst:
Jacksonville State
Georgia Southern
Samford

McNeese75
May 11th, 2017, 09:23 PM

I found it was actually a lot of fun to visit Georgia Southern. Of course that is if you win. The fans seem to dissipate pretty fast after a loss.

cx500d
May 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM
1. Frisco - Go eat at Tight Ends or Wild Pitch. They could serve cardboard and I would recommend this place. Scenery. xthumbsupx

2. Montana - Stockman's Bar. This place might actually serve cardboard (idk), but's its a fun bar.

3. UNI - Only other place I've been outside of USD and UND. Don't eat in Grand Forks or Vermilion. :D

I've heard the Olive Garden in grand forks is quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 08:48 AM

However, Georgia Southern had the worst fans in the FCS before they moved to the Sun Belch. They have their student seating on what would be the visitor's side, right next to the visitors seating. They are probably the rudest and vulgar student body in college athletics. As a visiting fan, I'd never take my family to gnatsboro.What is "visitors seating"? Just kidding.

Sammy94
May 12th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Was at McNeese for the playoff win a couple of years ago. The one yard line to punting game. Great atmosphere. Great fans. The only jerks were young drunk SHSU fans. Eat at Steamboat Bill's.

Steamboat Bill's is good but its always Darrell's on game day for me. Then off to Frosty Factory for a frozen cocktail to walk around tailgate with. I have never had a bad experience in Lake Chuck, plus the little touchdown dance they all do cracks me up every time. Counting LSU t-shirts is something we love to do also.

Sammy94
May 12th, 2017, 09:21 AM
It was a horrible experience when I went. It's going to take a lot for another road trip to overtake that one as the worst. Their fans and players were awful that trip. I've never seen so many rude people in my life. I never want to go back to that place again. I will not be making the trip next time we play in Jacksonville. I will stay home and watch from the internet. JSU is the only away trip that I can say that I never plan on making again.

Same here and we won!!! I could only imagine how obnoxious they were the following year in which they blew us out. I won't return.

Tribe4SF
May 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM
#1 is a tie between Delaware and UNH. Joint tailgates are awesome, especially at UD. Portsmouth, NH is a great city for night life. Warren's Lobster House!!!

#3 is a tie.
-2009 last trip to Northeastern at unique Parsons Field. We had a tailgate spot inside the stadium through an awesome friend and NU supporter. He went to the docks in Gloucester, MA that morning and had a 1 lb. lobster for everyone at the tailgate. Boston, of course, was a terrific place for a road game.

-Any trip to Norfolk State. Massive joint tailgate and incredible hospitality.

Least favorite is Stony Brook. Expensive hotels far from school, and no hospitality from Seawolves fans.

Rising stock mention goes to JMU and Elon. JMU fans much more hospitable than they used to be, and one trip to Elon was great.

Mocs123
May 12th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Best:
App State
JSU
Samford

Worst:
TTU

I think JSU has a fantastic game day atmosphere. The new side of the stadium looks fantastic (never sat over there). The visitors side is the "old" home side and yes it's old but I was standing the whole time anyways. Yes the field is cramped against the bleachers but even though they just added on, it is an old stadium and that's how it was set up. The turf looked fine to me - you want to see old turf - the last game I saw at TTU in ~2007 they still had astroturf and it looked awful.

Most of the JSU fans I have met in person are fine. They did have a few players get way out of line (Barge) and there was a lot of back and forth between our students and and JSU players after the last game. I am sure neither were saints. I hate JSU but it's a good hate like we used to have with Marshall. I will be out of town for the JSU game this year but will travel down the next time we play them (we owe them 2 home games) for sure. I have been to every UTC JSU game since 2007 and they are always hard fought tough games that are as intense for the fans as any we play.

We took a nice group down there for playoffs.

wapiti
May 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Put beans in your chili.

DirtyDukes
May 12th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Richmond. As much as I hate them their campus is super nice. Also I live in Richmond so it's close. Also we literally take over their lots and "stadium".
W&M is kind of similar as well - nice campus. Ample tailgate lots.

Worst -
Youngtown - what a dump. We were at a bdubs downtown and it literally was like Vanilla Sky outside - no cars, not a soul outside downtown. Fans were dicks and sore winners
App State - middle of nowhere and terrible fan hospitality. Pretty view getting there, though.

Grizalltheway
May 12th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Outside of the FCS Championship game in TX, the NDSU/Montana game a couple years ago in Missoula was awesome, took the wife down and meet BF02 down there.

Got in on Thursday, ate at a couple cool places downtown, can't remember where they were, ate at the Montana Club up by our hotel, ate appetizers and drank for the most part. Decent.

Alpha Griz hosted a tailgate so we mooched food and beer off of him, it was great. Meet Ursus and Citdog down there, got a tour of the Hall of Fame for U of M, pretty cool. Somebody has made arrangements for this beer bus deal, I wasn't on it but some of the homies from back in my home town were and they pulled up and parked illegally when we were doing the Hall of Fame tour. The pic is from when they pulled up, we stood there and drank beer for awhile. The bus a a great sound system and beer taps on the outside.

Bison lost, game sucked, crowd was good. Couple guys I was standing next to had a sign that said "it smells like ash in here" because the fires were really bad and the smoke was bad and a couple of people walked up to where we were standing and gave them hell, zero sense of humor.

I love that part of Montana would like to retire out there sometime maybe.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24969&stc=1

I hate to break it to you, but the governor actually just signed a bill banning North Dakotan immigrants. Idaho will welcome you with open arms, however.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I hate to break it to you, but the governor actually just signed a bill banning North Dakotan immigrants. Idaho will welcome you with open arms, however.I would too, they walk in there like they own the place, break local laws, lower property values, cause general chaos and misery and then bitch that the free beer isn't cold enough or it is Miller lite instead of Bud Light.

Grizalltheway
May 12th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I would too, they walk in there like they own the place, break local laws, lower property values, cause general chaos and misery and then bitch that the free beer isn't cold enough or it is Miller lite instead of Bud Light.

They also whine about the smoke.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 11:47 AM
They also whine about the smoke.Yea, we are used to clean air and expect that were ever we roam, and cold beer that isn't Miller.

You must have been one of the fairies that came up to the homies and bitched about the sign that said "it smells like ash in here". A couple of loser females and a weak assed dude made a point of walking up to there guys where they were sitting and complained about the sign. Humorless ****s.

Grizalltheway
May 12th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Yea, we are used to clean air and expect that were ever we roam, and cold beer that isn't Miller.

You must have been one of the fairies that came up to the homies and bitched about the sign that said "it smells like ash in here". A couple of loser females and a weak assed dude made a point of walking up to there guys where they were sitting and complained about the sign. Humorless ****s.

No I was not. If I ever get to the point where I would do something like that I'll just go fellate a pistol.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 12:02 PM
No I was not. If I ever get to the point where I would do something like that I'll just go fellate a pistol.Yea, I just breaking your balls, you are generally a pretty funny guy. The women that came over were particularly hostile and abusive. We were in the corner in the SW part of the stadium, I think, in the top row and they came up behind us and were yelling at us from the ground below the stands. I will bet you they were bitter feminists, I can usually spot them a mile away. xnodx

Grizalltheway
May 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Yea, I just breaking your balls, you are generally a pretty funny guy. The women that came over were particularly hostile and abusive. We were in the corner in the SW part of the stadium, I think, in the top row and they came up behind us and were yelling at us from the ground below the stands. I will bet you they were bitter feminists, I can usually spot them a mile away. xnodx
Missoula is a great town but it unfortunately attracts a lot of those types.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Missoula is a great town but it unfortunately attracts a lot of those types.It is a great area, I used to travel on business out there early in my career back in the 80's, loved Missoula, hated Butte and wasn't real fond of Billings. Those were the three places I stayed primarily.

youcanbankit
May 12th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Top 3
Yale - Union League Cafe
Princeton - Dinky Bar and Kitchen
Wofford - The Beacon Drive Inn (Have friends there)

Not So Top 3
UT Chattanooga - Champy's is good though
Jacksonville State - Not good
Mercer - Lock your car, turn your alarm on, carry a Tazer

Grizalltheway
May 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM
It is a great area, I used to travel on business out there early in my career back in the 80's, loved Missoula, hated Butte and wasn't real fond of Billings. Those were the three places I stayed primarily.
I wouldn't want to live there, but if you can't have a good time in Butte you need to check your pulse. C'mon man.

KPSUL
May 12th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Top 3

Wofford: Great fans - very welcoming to a hand full of Yankees. Of course we were gracious enough to lose. I don't recall the stadium food, but a nice Krispy Crème Donuts across the street from my hotel (a Marriott) which was almost walking distance from the stadium

Richmond: Beautiful campus, gentile fans and UNH wins a disproportionate number of games vs the Spiders. They have some pretty unique and tasty options by the West? end zone. Parking is quite a distance from the stadium.

Elon: Very friendly atmosphere, nice right-sized stadium.

Also good: JMU, Delaware, Liberty and William & Mary

cx500d
May 12th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Put beans in your chili.
+1

POD Knows
May 12th, 2017, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't want to live there, but if you can't have a good time in Butte you need to check your pulse. C'mon man.I was there on business only and back in the 80's that place was a fiscal and financial train wreck, plus the town was one big slum. I think it is better now but the few times I was there I wasn't very impressed.

JSUSoutherner
May 12th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Best:
App State
JSU
Samford

Worst:
TTU

I think JSU has a fantastic game day atmosphere. The new side of the stadium looks fantastic (never sat over there). The visitors side is the "old" home side and yes it's old but I was standing the whole time anyways. Yes the field is cramped against the bleachers but even though they just added on, it is an old stadium and that's how it was set up. The turf looked fine to me - you want to see old turf - the last game I saw at TTU in ~2007 they still had astroturf and it looked awful.

Most of the JSU fans I have met in person are fine. They did have a few players get way out of line (Barge) and there was a lot of back and forth between our students and and JSU players after the last game. I am sure neither were saints. I hate JSU but it's a good hate like we used to have with Marshall. I will be out of town for the JSU game this year but will travel down the next time we play them (we owe them 2 home games) for sure. I have been to every UTC JSU game since 2007 and they are always hard fought tough games that are as intense for the fans as any we play.

We took a nice group down there for playoffs.
Yes how dare Barge stroll in front of that poor UTC fan who just wanted to throw his beer away. :D

I can agree there's a lot of back and forth but IMO that's what makes rivalries fun.

However, I do hate seeing stuff like Scrappy's post about that player who by the sound of it (I don't know I wasn't there) did step way out of line. Because after all it is just a game and these things are supposed to be fun.

cx500d
May 12th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Yep, it was pretty rough after the mine shut down.

I was there on business only and back in the 80's that place was a fiscal and financial train wreck, plus the town was one big slum. I think it is better now but the few times I was there I wasn't very impressed.

Mocs123
May 12th, 2017, 07:44 PM
I can agree there's a lot of back and forth but IMO that's what makes rivalries fun.

This I can agree with.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 12th, 2017, 08:40 PM
1. North Dakota State - Just awesome tailgating all the way around!! I was offered all kinds of good eats...
2. Montana State - They might be little brother but Bobcat fans know how to get down.
3. Lafayette - But only for Lehigh-Lafayette.

Incomplete; Montana - My lone game in Missoula came while NW Montana was covered in smoke from wildfires. It was still fun but the atmosphere wasn't what it should have been....

Delaware use to be really good but times have changed. They use to have a pretty strong base of obnoxious Wal-Mart fans. Not sure if the losing has driven them away.

JMU wasn't anything special. I expected far more.

Princeton and Yale are really fun by Ivy League standards. Yale less so if they're losing....

Sader87
May 14th, 2017, 09:38 PM
Dartmouth in October.....glorious....what college football is all about in terms of atmosphere.

DirtyDukes
May 15th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Also good: JMU,

You coming down 10/28? I'm still in the rowdy lot until we have kids, but regardless we'd show y'all a good time.

KPSUL
May 15th, 2017, 10:44 AM
You coming down 10/28? I'm still in the rowdy lot until we have kids, but regardless we'd show y'all a good time.

Definitely, actually I go to at least two JMU home CAA games every season - I live 32 miles north of JMU off I 81. I've waited for UNH @ JMU since 2010. I missed the playoff game last season because I was in Austria.

TheRevSFA
May 15th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Put beans in your chili.

GTFO

DFW HOYA
May 15th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Dartmouth in October.....glorious....what college football is all about in terms of atmosphere.

Dartmouth in November? Not so much...

DirtyDukes
May 15th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Definitely, actually I go to at least two JMU home CAA games every season - I live 32 miles north of JMU off I 81. I've waited for UNH @ JMU since 2010. I missed the playoff game last season because I was in Austria.

Nice, man! I'll send you a PM when we get closer, and hit me up on here if you are going to a game before 10/28.

Thundar
May 15th, 2017, 12:29 PM
BEST
MONTANA ST - 2010 Playoff, damn it was cold
the time USD thought it would be a good idea to play NDSU in Sioux Falls, LOL!! 2012 or 2013 i believe
UNI - 2016

WORST
SDSU - 2013
SDSU - 2013
SDSU - 2013

never going back, would rather fly to India for a game. My friends girlfriend was spit on in that Sh!#ehole bar downtown, Servers at the Applebees (Fine Dining in Brookings) wouldn't serve us Friday before the game at 9pm, and the fans...wow especially the students were terrible. I/m one that likes to mingle and don't mind smack but they were just intolerable

dewey
May 16th, 2017, 09:46 PM
BEST
MONTANA ST - 2010 Playoff, damn it was cold
the time USD thought it would be a good idea to play NDSU in Sioux Falls, LOL!! 2012 or 2013 i believe
UNI - 2016

WORST
SDSU - 2013
SDSU - 2013
SDSU - 2013

never going back, would rather fly to India for a game. My friends girlfriend was spit on in that Sh!#ehole bar downtown, Servers at the Applebees (Fine Dining in Brookings) wouldn't serve us Friday before the game at 9pm, and the fans...wow especially the students were terrible. I/m one that likes to mingle and don't mind smack but they were just intolerable

The game against USD was in 2012 at Howard Wood field in Sioux Falls. Bison were coming off the only loss of the season the previous week to the Trees.

Bison ROLLED. 54-0.

USD was technically the home team but it was a very pro Bison crowd.

My wife and 2 boys were at SDSU for the 2013 game. We got pictures with the Dakota Marker after NDSU whooped the Jackrabbits that day.

Dewey

FormerPokeCenter
May 16th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Steamboat Bill's is good but its always Darrell's on game day for me. Then off to Frosty Factory for a frozen cocktail to walk around tailgate with. I have never had a bad experience in Lake Chuck, plus the little touchdown dance they all do cracks me up every time. Counting LSU t-shirts is something we love to do also.

LOL...Dat's de Cajun National Anthem, Cher....Show some respect! ;)

The LSU shirt thing used to bother me....but....after the two trips to Tiger Stadium, I've come to realize the two schools do share an awful lot of fans...

Hell, even the LSU head coach, Ed Orgeron is a McNeese fan ;)

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14581458_10154191650213406_208599809260312865_n.jp g?oh=6d6bc139c8c0e72a9f29d19e313441db&oe=59BDF6B4

His first college job was as a grad assistant at McNeese...and both of his sons signed with McNeese...

So...needless to say....when he shows up wearing McNeese gear to McNeese games, the folks in LSU Gear get an earful.

"Dude, if LSU's Head ****ing Coach can wear McNeese gear when he comes to watch the Cowboys play, why can't you??"

Daytripper
May 17th, 2017, 06:14 AM

The LSU shirt thing used to bother me....but....after the two trips to Tiger Stadium, I've come to realize the two schools do share an awful lot of fans...

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14581458_10154191650213406_208599809260312865_n.jp g?oh=6d6bc139c8c0e72a9f29d19e313441db&oe=59BDF6B4

His first college job was as a grad assistant at McNeese...and both of his sons signed with McNeese...

So...needless to say....when he shows up wearing McNeese gear to McNeese games, the folks in LSU Gear get an earful.

"Dude, if LSU's Head ****ing Coach can wear McNeese gear when he comes to watch the Cowboys play, why can't you??"

That's pretty cool. It does seem kind of silly to have animosity between a state FCS and FBS school. Both have enough rivals in their own subdivision.

Sammy94
May 17th, 2017, 07:49 AM

The SLC schedule sucks, I won't be making a trip to Lake Chuck this season unless its post season.

wapiti
May 17th, 2017, 10:46 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by wapiti http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2479487#post2479487) Put beans in your chili.

GTFO

LOL xlolx