PDA

View Full Version : RMU to the MVFC?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2017, 03:01 PM
So this is interesting:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/college/basketball/would-robert-morris-be-a-good-fit-in-the-horizon/article_be601138-34e3-11e7-a7f3-8faa85c73cf6.html

Tuesday, the commissioners of the Missouri Valley Conference voted to invite Valparaiso to join that circuit, the next in a series of chain reaction moves among colleges that started when Wichita State left the MVC for the American Athletic Conference in early April.

That chain will continue, as the Horizon League will seek a school to replace Valpo and find an even number of teams. Where it will end is anybody’s guess, but you can count Moon Township among the places it might land next.

The interesting part is what a Robert Morris break from the NEC might look like. When Monmouth jumped to the MAAC, they asked whether they could stay in the NEC for football, and the NEC presidents refused, which had them end up in the Big South.

If the same thing plays out again with RMU, it wold be an opportunity for the Colonials to join a new football conference. Though they're not really close to the rest of the MVFC, they would have a regional partner (Youngstown) and teams can fly into Pittsburgh to play them.

Professor Chaos
May 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM
http://www.ameerrosic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Is-Cocaine-more-addictive-than-Sugar-Warning-please-do-not-read-this-if-you-are-sensitive.jpg

ST_Lawson
May 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/RddAJiGxTPQFa/giphy.gif

RootinFerDukes
May 9th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I think he wants the MVFC to become so watered down that the Patriot will start churning out five time champions.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I think he wants the MVFC to become so watered down that the Patriot will start churning out five time champions.

Shhhh

Bison56
May 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1a3Gt8SjFUw6-6KVCfflQCKXFZ-bq9cEmIfHQVEraQ9VKYWpn (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwji9KCLz-PTAhVjsVQKHSPmBTMQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdev.dota2.com%2Farchive%2Findex.p hp%2Ft-102102.html&psig=AFQjCNGtUesFVEOpzODMcPQWHCLFWUa2dg&ust=1494446870307255)

citdog
May 9th, 2017, 03:11 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/38/ca/ec/38caecb7ed37a7726011ba14337c16ba.jpg

BisonTru
May 9th, 2017, 03:14 PM
After reading the title I thought he was talking about Rocky Mountain College. Which would make more sense. xeyebrowx

BisonFan02
May 9th, 2017, 03:20 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e2/f7/cc/e2f7cc4761a3392beb842c8736dc5c5b.jpg

ST_Lawson
May 9th, 2017, 03:32 PM
After reading the title I thought he was talking about Rocky Mountain College. Which would make more sense. xeyebrowx

Or maybe he meant Robert Morris University....this one: http://www.robertmorris.edu/
They're at least in the MVFC footprint.

GodHelpTheBears
May 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Where's my antifreeze and funnel

Original_RMC
May 9th, 2017, 07:28 PM
I don't think the NEC could handle RMU leaving so I would like that the NEC would allow RMU to remain in conference as an associate member. Men's & Women's LAX would need to find a home as well.

TheKingpin28
May 9th, 2017, 07:43 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/35/3511d9767c96ce281df5a9a69f6b88ed5654af83fe3ca8a1b9 9b2d225d1ad268.jpg

ysubigred
May 10th, 2017, 07:46 AM
WOW!! At least YSU would have a short bus trip to at least one game a year xrolleyesx

Bisonator
May 10th, 2017, 08:09 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/089/022/facepalm_implied.jpg

Yote 53
May 10th, 2017, 09:08 AM
OP needs to lay down the crack pipe.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Judging by the reaction here, you can book it: RMU will be the Horizon League's next member, even if we're just in the discovery stages now.

Bisonator
May 10th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Judging by the reaction here, you can book it: RMU will be the Horizon League's next member, even if we're just in the discovery stages now.
What does that have to do with the MVFC????

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 09:30 AM
What does that have to do with the MVFC????

RMU to Horizon
RMU football kicked out of NEC, football needs a home
RMU FB to MVFC or PFL
RMU likes scholly football, petitions MVFC

Professor Chaos
May 10th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Haha, (suspending reality for a moment) this would really get clenz's blood pressure up.

MFVC West:
NDSU
SDSU
UND
UNI
USD
WIU

MVFC East:
IlSU
InSU
MSU
RMU
SIU
YSU

Seems real even. ;)

Bisonator
May 10th, 2017, 09:41 AM
RMU to Horizon
RMU football kicked out of NEC, football needs a home
RMU FB to MVFC or PFL
RMU likes scholly football, petitions MVFC
RMU to the MVFC IS NOT HAPPENING. Take your hallucinations elsewhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 10:30 AM
RMU to the MVFC IS NOT HAPPENING. Take your hallucinations elsewhere.

From RMU's perspective, my scenario is hardly a hallucination. It's speculation based on Monmouth's exact experience, almost a beat-for-beat historical recreation.

If RMU were to get a Horizon invite, what is so outrageous about this scenario? The MVFC has an uneven number of teams, RMU makes it even. RMU and Youngstown are only like 50 miles apart, so Youngstown would no longer be acres away from the rest of the league, and schools can budget one Pittsburgh flight a year rather than every other year. RMU is somewhat small, and they'd have to ramp up to 63 scholarships. But Monmouth did the exact same thing to gain membership to the Big South, with the exact same "small school/NEC scholarship level" issue RMU would have.

Original_RMC
May 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Wait for it...Wait for it...RMU Football has a better chance of landing in the Patriot League than MVFC.
LMAO....just seeing how quickly individuals will crush RMU on how they will never be good enough for the Patriot league.

If the NEC said "see ya" much like they did Monmouth, RMU would probably go Independent and up their scholarships to 63 in hopes of landing in a larger conference.
Does the MVFC make sense for RMU Football, not today. They would have to upgrade their their facilities big time and get to 63 scholarships within one year. Then get back to winning and perhaps a conference like MVFC would extend an invite to RMU.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 11:09 AM
If the NEC said "see ya" much like they did Monmouth, RMU would probably go Independent and up their scholarships to 63 in hopes of landing in a larger conference.

Precisely. Now, which "larger football conference" has other Horizon League members in it at present? Gee, can't think of any... xrolleyesx

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Ok, so...here's just a couple of problems with the argument as I see it:

1. RMU is probably WAY down the list of potential Horizon League replacements. I see either or both of the IN schools (IUPUI and...IDKWTF-Fort Wayne) getting invited before RMU. I think we'd even see someone like an Ohio Valley school more likely to get invited before RMU.

2. The MVFC is under no obligation to take a team just because they don't have a home. We don't care if you have to leave your football conference if you want to join the Horizon. That literally matters less than 0 to us.

3. Most people think the MVFC is borderline too big as it currently stands (with the future addition of UND), as well as also not liking having a team as far east as YSU anyway. Now we're going to bring in another team....a private school...further east than Youngstown...with no history with any of the other MVFC schools...and half the enrollment of the next smallest MVFC school?

No...just.....no.

RootinFerDukes
May 10th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Monmouth to the CAA. You heard it here first. We have to lock up that New Jersey market.

JMU and UR simply don't have enough Jersey students and Monmouth will be the deal maker.

Thumper 76
May 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Precisely. Now, which "larger football conference" has other Horizon League members in it at present? Gee, can't think of any... xrolleyesx
This is so incredibly stupid that I wonder if you sometimes forget to breath.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM
This is so incredibly stupid that I wonder if you sometimes forget to breath.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I can respect ST_Lawson's answer because he actually has a rationale. This one, though... xlolx

aceinthehole
May 10th, 2017, 01:15 PM
If (and that is a big If) RMU gets an invite to join the Horizon League, I think the most likely scenario is exactly what Stony Brook and Monmouth did when they left the NEC ... Big South associate member for football.

RMU football isn't going MVFC or Pioneer. They aren't getting an invite from the Patriot or Colonial either.

I doubt they get the Horizon invite based on the sports they sponsor. BobbyMo doesn't sponsor baseball and the Horizon is on the verge of losing AQ status in that sport.

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Oh, and...

4. If the MVFC were (for some insane reason) bringing in another school or two or 8 or whatever, RMU would be WAAAAY down the list of schools we'd try to bring in. Here's just a partial list of schools that we'd be shooting for first (in rough order of "likelihood"):
Murray State (since it still seems possible that they could get a MVC invite maybe next year if things work out...the other MVC schools in the MVFC could use their pull to convince the MVFC to extend an invite to Murray State for football too)
Eastern Illinois
SEMO
Eastern Kentucky
Central Arkansas
North Alabama
Northern Colorado
Literally any other OVC school
Convince Drake to put $ into football scholarships
Northwest Missouri State
Pittsburg State
MN State-Mankato
MN-Duluth
UW-Whitewater

Dane96
May 10th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Wait for it...Wait for it...RMU Football has a better chance of landing in the Patriot League than MVFC.
LMAO....just seeing how quickly individuals will crush RMU on how they will never be good enough for the Patriot league.

Does the MVFC make sense for RMU Football, not today. They would have to upgrade their their facilities big time and get to 63 scholarships within one year. Then get back to winning and perhaps a conference like MVFC would extend an invite to RMU.

Likely wouldn't have to upgrade scholarships in one year. Albany took 3 years to get to the 65 scholarship level upon moving to the CAA.

Thumper 76
May 10th, 2017, 07:54 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I can respect ST_Lawson's answer because he actually has a rationale. This one, though... xlolx
Wow got me on spelling, what a zinger. This idea is so incredibly stupi it doesn't even deserve a post with rationale responding to it. Your only shred of anything even resembling any reason for the MVFC to even mention the name of RMU is because of the farthest outlier of a school that hypothetically might end up in the same conference. The only reason for adding the schools to the league right now is to keep either the Summit or the MVC schools happy. YSU and the Horizon have next to zero power in the room to try to push for a school being added. Give me a reason for any school in the MVFC west of Indiana to want to add RMU. Even if YSU threatens to leave the conference they just let them walk because of how unbalanced the conference already is with UND coming in, plus it would make the entire conference Summit and MVC schools.

I feel like it's fortunate for you that nobody has put a scratch and sniff sticker at the bottom of a pool you were in.

Bisonator
May 11th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Wow got me on spelling, what a zinger. This idea is so incredibly stupi it doesn't even deserve a post with rationale responding to it. Your only shred of anything even resembling any reason for the MVFC to even mention the name of RMU is because of the farthest outlier of a school that hypothetically might end up in the same conference. The only reason for adding the schools to the league right now is to keep either the Summit or the MVC schools happy. YSU and the Horizon have next to zero power in the room to try to push for a school being added. Give me a reason for any school in the MVFC west of Indiana to want to add RMU. Even if YSU threatens to leave the conference they just let them walk because of how unbalanced the conference already is with UND coming in, plus it would make the entire conference Summit and MVC schools.

I feel like it's fortunate for you that nobody has put a scratch and sniff sticker at the bottom of a pool you were in.

The TLDR version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpuRcmPnSTM

Yote 53
May 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Wow.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2017, 10:45 AM

So that means it's going to happen in time for the 2019 season, then, or the 2020 season?

Bison56
May 11th, 2017, 03:02 PM

https://media.tenor.co/images/022170ffb36a9ee902fafb9a7aa6c926/tenor.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifsr_30OjTAhUBTGMKHWuxCCEQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tenor.co%2Fview%2Fsteveharve y-familyfeud-gif-5797589&psig=AFQjCNE9DHisl--nDUE_rcNfpfV3vnTq6A&ust=1494619217995394)

UNHWildcat18
May 11th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Monmouth to the CAA. You heard it here first. We have to lock up that New Jersey market.

JMU and UR simply don't have enough Jersey students and Monmouth will be the deal maker.

They don't have the stadium size requirement (8k). Even if they did a team would have to leave.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2017, 10:43 PM
They don't have the stadium size requirement (8k). Even if they did a team would have to leave.

Agreed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2017, 09:34 AM
RMU to the Valley?

xlolx

WestCoastAggie
May 17th, 2017, 05:44 PM
PL Hijack, yet?