View Full Version : FCS Bucketlist

ASU33
May 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM
What are some venues, rivalry games, or campuses in FCS that are on your must see list?

Laker
May 5th, 2017, 06:55 PM
I'd like to see games at Montana and Montana State. I like that mountain setting. Probably Harvard-Yale just for the history of it. Some nostalgia for Delaware because of the Wing T book I read by Dave Nelson and that it was carried on by Tubby Raymond. Oh, Northern Colorado because it was the only NCC school that I didn't see a game.

I've already been to games at UND, NDSU, UNI, USD, & SDSU. And UNO but they dropped football.

citdog
May 5th, 2017, 07:13 PM
The Citadel vs VMI

cx500d
May 5th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I'd love to see Montana - Montana State also, in Missoula. Preferable with clear, non smokey air. I'd like to see a game at Citadel. Maybe Harvard-Yale at each place, although I hesitate to call them FCS teams since they don't participate in the "CS" part of FCS. I'd like to see Maine-New Hampshire, preferably in Maine since I used to live there. Idaho-Idaho State, don't care where, both domes are similar. I'd like to see San Diego - Cal Poly, don't care where, both places are nice. William & Mary - Richmond, preferably in Williamsburg because of the history.

I'd like to see games at Montana and Montana State. I like that mountain setting. Probably Harvard-Yale just for the history of it. Some nostalgia for Delaware because of the Wing T book I read by Dave Nelson and that it was carried on by Tubby Raymond. Oh, Northern Colorado because it was the only NCC school that I didn't see a game.

I've already been to games at UND, NDSU, UNI, USD, & SDSU. And UNO but they dropped football.

Bisonoline
May 5th, 2017, 09:25 PM
I'd love to see Montana - Montana State also, in Missoula. Preferable with clear, non smokey air. I'd like to see a game at Citadel. Maybe Harvard-Yale at each place, although I hesitate to call them FCS teams since they don't participate in the "CS" part of FCS. I'd like to see Maine-New Hampshire, preferably in Maine since I used to live there. Idaho-Idaho State, don't care where, both domes are similar. I'd like to see San Diego - Cal Poly, don't care where, both places are nice. William & Mary - Richmond, preferably in Williamsburg because of the history.

Either place is very scenic. And the fans for both schools are super.

FUBeAR
May 5th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Montana State @ Montana
Harvard @ Yale
Clemson @ Furman
Georgia @ Mercer

...that's all

GodHelpTheBears
May 5th, 2017, 11:48 PM
I'd like to see Missouri State beat Northern Iowa. It doesn't have to be in person, I'd just like to see it happen.

I'm not optimistic it ever will happen, but...

JALMOND
May 6th, 2017, 01:45 AM
For me, one that I haven't seen yet but would like to some day, Southern vs Grambling.

JSUSoutherner
May 6th, 2017, 05:06 AM
I wouldn't mind getting in a game at the Fargodome or at Montana.

But mostly I want to see JSU win a natty.

Original, right?

ASU33
May 6th, 2017, 08:36 AM
The Return of The Little Brown Stein in Missoula (Idaho @ Montana)
One of The California Rivalry Games (UC Davis v Cal Poly or San Diego v Cal Poly ect.)
The Game (Harvard v Yale)
A big game in The Fargo Dome
Brawl of The Wild

GAD
May 6th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I might be scratching the Magic City Classic off my list this fall

ASU33
May 6th, 2017, 09:35 AM
I might be scratching the Magic City Classic off my list this fall

Come on down bruh! You'll definitely enjoy it!

ST_Lawson
May 6th, 2017, 12:48 PM
For me, one that I haven't seen yet but would like to some day, Southern vs Grambling.

I'd love to do that one sometime too...mostly for the halftime show though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
May 6th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I'd love to do that one sometime too...mostly for the halftime show though.

Speaking of halftime shows.

JSU vs WCU.

Someone make this ish happen.

ST_Lawson
May 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM

JSU vs WCU.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Also, is not technically FCS, but UMass vs Ohio University would be really good too.

kdinva
May 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM
The Citadel vs VMI

xnodx

I've seen one game at The General.....1993, Dogs won 34-33, but a Rat HB named Tommy Haskins had a breakout (no pun there) game: 242 yards, 3 TDs....atmosphere was great...

citdog
May 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM

JSU vs WCU.

Real men are in the parking lot getting ready for the second half...

Bucs2016
May 6th, 2017, 03:43 PM
The Citadel vs VMI

I have to recommend this one. I know I give Citadel crap when we play them. But I gotta say, a big Citadel home game is hard to beat in FCS. Its walking distance to the southern end of the Charleston peninsula which is one of the most incredible cities in America. The women and food are just unmatched anywhere outside of NYC or Miami.

And their stadium is beautiful for an FCS one. Great tailgating. Very polite people. Cool atmosphere with the cannons and military stuff. If you want to catch a game then restaurant/bar hop to watch other games on TV, eat world class food, see the most beautiful women (and insane ratio!!! Like 3 to 1 gal/guy) and then head to the world class Kiawah Island beach or Isle of Palms beach the next day....Citadel is the place to go. Hell all the above is why CSU recruits so well with a dump stadium. Theres nothing like being a college kid in Charleston!!!

Bucs2016
May 6th, 2017, 03:46 PM
As for mine its this:

Montana in November
NDSU any game
Libertys first game back in FCS once they leave FBS
Charleston Southern @ Portland State (i love Portland but Im not going again unless CSU is playing there!)

Sitting Bull
May 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Any Tribe vs UVA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJAOJPP977Q

Professor Chaos
May 7th, 2017, 04:19 PM
This should be a bucket list item for any FCS fan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psrCIQOeHtU

And if your team never wins one or you're one of those poor souls who cheer for teams that exclude themselves from the playoffs just become an NDSU fan for a few years. ;)

UNIFanSince1983
May 7th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Franklin Field
Yale Bowl
WaGriz

BadlandsGrizFan
May 8th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Its never smokey for the Brawl of the Wild in November....the smokey crap are always the september games during forest fire season.

POD Knows
May 8th, 2017, 09:38 AM
This should be a bucket list item for any FCS fan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psrCIQOeHtU

And if your team never wins one or you're one of those poor souls who cheer for teams that exclude themselves from the playoffs just become an NDSU fan for a few years. ;)Yep

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24960&stc=1

DirtyDukes
May 8th, 2017, 10:39 AM
NDSU in Harrisonburg

NorthChuckSouth
May 17th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Luckily I got to cross off one of my bucket list items by playing there - go to a game in the fargodome.
Other than that:
I'd like to go to a game at Harvard just for the stadium - especially for the Yale game
Montana would be a cool place to go too
I'd like for Furman and Citadel to both be really good - short drive and personal ties to both schools.

LUHawker
May 19th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Montana - Montana St.
W&M vs. Richmond
Harvard vs. Yale
Colgate vs. Lehigh at Colgate

Hammerhead
May 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Lots of nice mountains around Weber State, too and their fans were nice. Actually they were shocked that there were so many Bison fans in attendance. :) One of these years I'll make it to a game in Brookings to watch the Bison play the Bunnies.

Thumper 76
May 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Montana/Montana State
one of the big SWAC classics
Yale/Harvard
Lehigh/Laffy
a game at El Cid
SDSU at McNeese (need revenge for that Hobo Day)
the Natty

And my biased suggestions for others:
The Marker Game in Fargo or Brookings. I say do both IMO. Electric atmosphere with a rivalry that gets ratcheted up another notch every year.

Hobo Day at SDSU. It's a blast. But I'm biased.

TheKingpin28
May 19th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Brawl of the Wild at WaGriz
The Dakota Marker at The Dykhouse (New Stadium)
The Game at Yale
Bayou Classic at the Superdome
The Rivalry

ASU33
May 20th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Montana/Montana State
one of the big SWAC classics
Yale/Harvard
Lehigh/Laffy
a game at El Cid
SDSU at McNeese (need revenge for that Hobo Day)
the Natty

And my biased suggestions for others:
The Marker Game in Fargo or Brookings. I say do both IMO. Electric atmosphere with a rivalry that gets ratcheted up another notch every year.

Hobo Day at SDSU. It's a blast. But I'm biased.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25061&stc=1

We have one of the best and biggest in The Magic City Classic between us(Alabama State) and Alabama A&M. A week long event with tailgating starting on Tuesday morning and a week filled with concerts, step shows, parties, pep rallies, celebrities from all over, and everything in between. We had 70,813 last year with another 50,000 or so that never left the tailgate area.

carney2
May 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM
I'd like to go to a game at Harvard just for the stadium - especially for the Yale game

Harvard Stadium is an over hyped rat hole, Greek columns notwithstanding. The Yale Bowl, on the other hand, is something special. Wait a year and go to New Haven.

DFW HOYA
May 25th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Harvard Stadium is an over hyped rat hole, Greek columns notwithstanding. The Yale Bowl, on the other hand, is something special. Wait a year and go to New Haven.

Yale is definitely worth the trip.

Princeton is worth a visit, too. Unfortunately, I never got to see a game at Palmer Stadium, and the new place is nice but antiseptic. Double that for Columbia. Brown? (shrugs shoulders)

Franklin Field may be old but it's a shrine to Ivy's better days. The fact that a seven win Quaker team averaged just 5,589 a game last season is shameful.

ngineer
May 28th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Montana - Montana St.
W&M vs. Richmond
Harvard vs. Yale
Colgate vs. Lehigh at Colgate

...but not in November!

citdog
May 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Yale is definitely worth the trip.

Princeton is worth a visit, too. Unfortunately, I never got to see a game at Palmer Stadium, and the new place is nice but antiseptic. Double that for Columbia. Brown? (shrugs shoulders)

Franklin Field may be old but it's a shrine to Ivy's better days. The fact that a seven win Quaker team averaged just 5,589 a game last season is shameful.

Princeton belongs nowhere near this list. Never saw a place that could care less that they even have a football team. Well besides georgetown...

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 28th, 2017, 09:04 PM
...but not in November!

Lehigh and Colgate should always be two weeks before Lehigh-Lafayette imo! I love watching a game on the tundra!! Put Georgetown as the 10th game and it's the perfect league schedule.

ST_Lawson
May 28th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Princeton belongs nowhere near this list. Never saw a place that could care less that they even have a football team. Well besides georgetown...

You want to see a lack of fan support, you need to check out our place. Pretty sure we're #1 in the MVFC in lack of fan support.

TheKingpin28
May 28th, 2017, 10:13 PM
You want to see a lack of fan support, you need to check out our place. Pretty sure we're #1 in the MVFC in lack of fan support.

ISUb?

carney2
May 29th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Princeton is worth a visit, too. Unfortunately, I never got to see a game at Palmer Stadium, and the new place is nice but antiseptic.

Finally, the right word for that place. I've been searching for it for years. Thanks, DFW.

ST_Lawson
May 29th, 2017, 12:09 PM
ISUb?

ISUb was 9th last year.

1. NDSU - 18,556 per game
2. SDSU - 13,753
3. YSU - 12,439
4. UNI - 12,123
5. ISUr - 10,156
6. MSU - 10,097
7. USD - 8,835
8. SIU - 7,919
9. ISUb - 5,153
10. WIU - 4,910

Future MVFC member UND would have slid in between #6 and #7 at 9,944.

Pretty sure nearly half of the 5.3k fans at our game against NDSU were Bison fans.

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2017, 01:40 PM
ISUb was 9th last year.

1. NDSU - 18,556 per game
2. SDSU - 13,753
3. YSU - 12,439
4. UNI - 12,123
5. ISUr - 10,156
6. MSU - 10,097
7. USD - 8,835
8. SIU - 7,919
9. ISUb - 5,153
10. WIU - 4,910

Future MVFC member UND would have slid in between #6 and #7 at 9,944.

Pretty sure nearly half of the 5.3k fans at our game against NDSU were Bison fans.

That is hard to look at to now between the 2 schools they still do not crack that top 4. The Alerus Center is a joke so they will consistently be the middle of the pack.

F'N Hawks
May 29th, 2017, 05:30 PM
That is hard to look at to now between the 2 schools they still do not crack that top 4. The Alerus Center is a joke so they will consistently be the middle of the pack.

Considering the max capacity is around 12,300 that statement is spot on and intelligent. Like you.

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Considering the max capacity is around 12,300 that statement is spot on and intelligent. Like you.

I would rather drink bleach before I go to the Alerus Center again. One of the worst indoor stadiums in all of football.

POD Knows
May 29th, 2017, 06:44 PM
I would rather drink bleach before I go to the Alerus Center again. One of the worst indoor stadiums in all of football.Have you been to Vermillion? The Alerus Center is a palace compared to that place.

F'N Hawks
May 29th, 2017, 06:45 PM
I would rather drink bleach before I go to the Alerus Center again. One of the worst indoor stadiums in all of football.

Let me guess, the last time you were there was 2003? Things have changed a little. Not a lot, but a little.

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Have you been to Vermillion? The Alerus Center is a palace compared to that place.

Yep. I have been to the Dakota Dump even after the "upgraded" it, but the Alerus Center is a hard pass for me. They do not appreciate Bison apparel for a concert and make it clear that our kind is not welcomed there. Now the Ralph is something else. Arguably nicer than most NHL arenas.

TheKingpin28
May 29th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Let me guess, the last time you were there was 2003? Things have changed a little. Not a lot, but a little.

Well if that were the case, I would have been 11 so nope, I was there in more recent times.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Sadly, you missed the glory days. Palmer Stadium was quite a place when the games really mattered.

Schism55
May 29th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Have you been to Vermillion? The Alerus Center is a palace compared to that place.
It looks like a futuristic supermax prison on the outside, so that's, cool.....right?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 30th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Sadly, you missed the glory days. Palmer Stadium was quite a place when the games really mattered.

I was lucky enough to see one game at the old Palmer Stadium in 1993! Keith Elias ran all over the Lehigh defense that day!

POD Knows
May 30th, 2017, 09:40 AM
It looks like a futuristic supermax prison on the outside, so that's, cool.....right?Are you talking about the Dakota Dome or the Alerus? The Dakota Dome looks like a supermax prison or something. I might be the only guy on this board that doesn't think the Alerus is a dump. That place isn't that bad and there are a lot of FCS teams that would wet themselves if they had a facility like that.

I have never been to a sporting event there and would prefer not to ever attend one but I suppose that wish will die in the upcoming years given the UND move to the MVFC. Done a lot of Ag shows there and used the facility for meetings and the like, the place is connected to a decent hotel and easy to get to, pretty good parking, so it has that going for it, which is nice I guess.

Schism55
May 30th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Are you talking about the Dakota Dome or the Alerus? The Dakota Dome looks like a supermax prison or something. I might be the only guy on this board that doesn't think the Alerus is a dump. That place isn't that bad and there are a lot of FCS teams that would wet themselves if they had a facility like that.

I have never been to a sporting event there and would prefer not to ever attend one but I suppose that wish will die in the upcoming years given the UND move to the MVFC. Done a lot of Ag shows there and used the facility for meetings and the like, the place is connected to a decent hotel and easy to get to, pretty good parking, so it has that going for it, which is nice I guess.
I was talking about the Dakota Dome xthumbsupx. I concur, Alerus is a decent building.

PAllen
May 30th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Lehigh and Colgate should always be two weeks before Lehigh-Lafayette imo! I love watching a game on the tundra!! Put Georgetown as the 10th game and it's the perfect league schedule.

I've said it before, but Bucknell, Colgate, then Lafayette should end the season for Lehigh every year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I've said it before, but Bucknell, Colgate, then Lafayette should end the season for Lehigh every year.

A Colgate, Bucknell and Lafayette November would be sweet!

But i'm not sure I'd like Colgate and Lafayette back-2-back. Two big, emotional games to end the regular season is tough...

RichH2
May 30th, 2017, 03:09 PM
+1