PDA

View Full Version : Providence Park expansion

ccd494
April 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM
http://sbisoccer.com/2017/04/timbers-set-to-expand-providence-park

Wonder what that means for Portland State? The Timbers haven't been shy about wanting their own space (and natural grass). If they are putting $50M of their own private money where their mouth is...

PurpleStreamers
April 27th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Wonder what that means for Portland State? The Timbers haven't been shy about wanting their own space (and natural grass). If they are putting $50M of their own private money where their mouth is...

Good question. But that looks amazing. Already one of the loudest, coolest venues in the country and this will only make it better for Timbers and Thorns. Would love to get to a game there.

JALMOND
April 29th, 2017, 01:51 PM

What I've been able to gather, as long as the city owns the stadium (which they still do), PSU, as well as two Portland area high schools, will still be able to play football there. The Timbers can make all the renovations they want to make, but until they purchase the stadium from the city, it will still host both football and soccer.

EdubAlum
April 30th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Honestly, I think this is a terrible venue for PSU football. Hillsboro Stadium, while much further away it's a much more appropriately​ sized venue and a better game day experience. Plus you can actually tailgate.

JALMOND
April 30th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I think this is a terrible venue for PSU football. Hillsboro Stadium, while much further away it's a much more appropriately​ sized venue and a better game day experience. Plus you can actually tailgate.

Hillsboro is too small and too far away to be considered a permanent home for PSU football. Most places in Spokane are closer to EWU's campus than Hillsboro is to PSU's campus. Hillsboro Stadium would be the smallest venue in the Big Sky. Also, it is not on the light rail system or the bus system so the college kids would have make an effort to find some way of getting there. There are ample parking spaces where one can tailgate, but at Providence, you can drink in the stands and there are many bars just outside the park. Also, the ambiance of being right in downtown Portland makes it feel more "Portlandia" than being way out in the suburbs. With most Big Sky venues, you can feel the unique "vibe" of the city/town you are in. There is none of that feeling for PSU out in Hillsboro.

mvemjsunpx
May 1st, 2017, 05:22 PM

Hillsboro Stadium only holds 7600 people, so no.