PDA

View Full Version : JMU OC receives offer to coach at GSU

Baldy
January 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere, yet.

Durden Sticking With Dukes (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=8413&CHID=3)

"HARRISONBURG – James Madison assistant football coach Jeff Durden turned down a chance to coach in his home state, rejecting an offer from new Georgia Southern coach – and longtime friend – Chris Hatcher to take over as the Eagles’ assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, Durden said Wednesday.

"It was a very difficult decision because that’s my home and awfully close to my family," the 41-year-old Durden said. "But I didn’t feel like it was the right time. He offered me a great deal, but I couldn’t pull the trigger on it."

Durden, a Dublin, Ga. native, said he flew to Statesboro on Monday to interview with Hatcher and meet the staff he’s already hired at Georgia Southern, traditionally one of Division I-AA football’s strongest programs.

Durden said Hatcher originally offered him the position – twice – by phone, but he turned it down.

"Two days later, he called me back and now the thing gets a little more interesting financially," Durden said.

Durden declined to divulge how much Georgia Southern offered or if James Madison gave him a pay raise to persuade him to stay.

"JMU and coach [Mickey] Matthews have been great during the whole process and they made it hard for me to leave," Durden said.

Matthews also declined to comment on Durden’s compensation, though he called Georgia Southern’s offer "substantial."

JMU2004
January 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
excellent news for the JMU program!!!

mcveyrl
January 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
excellent news for the JMU program!!!

I agree. It would've been tough losing the offensive players we lost AND Durden.

blueballs
January 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Durden turned down a chance to coach a premier program just a few exits down the road from his hometown and also align himself with what is considered a rising star in the business. You JMU folks should applaud his loyalty. It speaks well of him and Matthews too.

th0m
January 25th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah this was posted on the CAAZone JMU-section earlier today. I'm glad Durden's staying! Good luck to GSU in finding an offensive coordinator/asst. coach.

Longhorn
January 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Durden turned down a chance to coach a premier program

Jeff's already coaching at a premier program :smiley_wi

Seriously tho, what really influenced Jeff's decision seems to be family oriented (his wife and kids just got settled in Harrisonburg last year after moving up from Lexington), and at GSU Jeff was told that he wouldn't be calling the plays. His long standing friendship with GS's HC aside, I think Jeff didn't want to move into a position where his control over the O would be more limited than what he's responsible for at JMU.

Baldy
January 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
His long standing friendship with GS's HC aside, I think Jeff didn't want to move into a position where his control over the O would be more limited than what he's responsible for at JMU.
Bingo, I have a feeling that if Hatch was willing to give Durden more control and let him call the plays, we'd have a new OC today.
I can't really see many established OC's who would be willing to come here with only limited control over the offense.

ButlerGSU
January 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
From what I read Hatcher calls most of the plays himself. Any OC under him will mainly be in charge of running practice.

BDKJMU
January 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Here's the whole article from the Harrisonburg paper:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=8413&CHID=3

Longhorn
January 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Bingo, I have a feeling that if Hatch was willing to give Durden more control and let him call the plays, we'd have a new OC today.
I can't really see many established OC's who would be willing to come here with only limited control over the offense.

I agree with you 100%. You'll find a top-notch OC tho...GSU's rep will see to that.