PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Pep Rallies?

Redbird Ray
April 18th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have a running pep rally, concert, food truck event, or downtown gathering of some kind on Friday nights before home football games in their team's hometown?

I am an urban planner in an FCS college town in the Midwest and am toying with the idea of starting something like this in the town I work/live in (Not Bloomington/Normal, though the Redbirds are my number 1 team). We would probably start off with one event, maybe before the first home game of the year, and see how it goes and if we could afford to put on more events. I would be curious to see if anyone has some kind of town and gown collaborated event that takes place the night before home games (typically Fridays for all of us) and if they have any feedback on those kind of events.

The town I work for has a pretty decent football following for FCS, averaging attendance somewhere in the 7K-15K range most games, with maybe 2K-5K additional tailgaters each game, so I think something like I am envisioning could be a success if it's done right. I already know certain segments of my community will oppose this due to conflicts with local H.S. football schedules on Fridays.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Go Green
April 18th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have a running pep rally, concert, food truck event, or downtown gathering of some kind on Friday nights before home football games in their team's hometown?

Only on homecoming for Dartmouth.

And it is a good show. Parade, bonfire, the works.

GodHelpTheBears
April 18th, 2017, 07:57 PM

I am an urban planner in an FCS college town in the Midwest and am toying with the idea of starting something like this in the town I work/live in (Not Bloomington/Normal, though the Redbirds are my number 1 team). We would probably start off with one event, maybe before the first home game of the year, and see how it goes and if we could afford to put on more events. I would be curious to see if anyone has some kind of town and gown collaborated event that takes place the night before home games (typically Fridays for all of us) and if they have any feedback on those kind of events.

The town I work for has a pretty decent football following for FCS, averaging attendance somewhere in the 7K-15K range most games, with maybe 2K-5K additional tailgaters each game, so I think something like I am envisioning could be a success if it's done right. I already know certain segments of my community will oppose this due to conflicts with local H.S. football schedules on Fridays.

You're not talking about Springfield, are you?

ASU33
April 18th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Alabama State does a few pep rallies during the year for the first home game of the year, The Magic City Classic, and The Turkey Day Classic. Pep Rallies are held on Thursday nights and are usually hosted by a guest host (normally a young popular B-list celebrity). The pep rallies are held inside of the basketball arena and includes a step exhibition by the Greeks, maybe a few cheers by the cheerleaders, and the Mighty Marching Hornets. The team is introduced usually during the middle of the pep rally and they usually leave right after the head coach gives the crowd some inspiring words. Our pep rallies at ASU usually get a pretty good crowd from the students and from the local community as well.

Daytripper
April 19th, 2017, 06:40 AM

You have a good idea, but this is the reason why it would never work in Texas.

Bucs2016
April 19th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Just as the Texas guy said, we dont have them in the South. Or they're very uncommon. High school football down here is almost as big as college football. So no we dont have it. Not for FCS. Some of the major FBS do something. A&M does the Aggie cheer practice or something. Kinda weird. I think Clemson had some stuff also.

ASU33
April 19th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Pep Rallies are kinda big with HBCU. But they're held on different days and at different times depending on the school. Tennessee State does theirs on Friday nights, and so does Grambling. Most schools do theirs on Thursday nights and some will have them on Friday midday. Here's a peep at one of a few HBCU pep rallies.

https://youtu.be/-tauDTVuaY0

https://youtu.be/zwxgd2Q9MDo

Bluefish845
April 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Is this an effort to ingratiate the town with the school or vice versa? The students are generally fickle they want to be entertained and they don't really have disposable income to spend on entertainment. Plus you probably don't want it to turn into a big booze fest (not that there is anything wrong with that, but then you worry about underage kids etc.) The fireworks/parade/mini concert/food trucks is a good way to go provided there is enough space. Are you thinking on campus or off? First game of the year could be good and or big rivalry game. I would think more than once a year is too much, you won't get the expected turnout unless the entertainment factor is top notch.

cx500d
April 20th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Yeah, when the high school stadiums are bigger than the college stadiums...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24863&stc=1

You have a good idea, but this is the reason why it would never work in Texas.

KPSUL
April 21st, 2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah, when the high school stadiums are bigger than the college stadiums...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24863&stc=1

Eagle Stadium, Allen, TX ?

ngineer
April 21st, 2017, 04:18 PM
Only for the Lafayette game. Bonfire, band, FUD trucks, etc. #153 this year.

cx500d
April 21st, 2017, 08:46 PM
Eagle Stadium, Allen, TX ?

Towns within 5 miles from me; Allen is one, the neighboring city of McKinney is the other. Frisco plays in the new cowboys facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk