PDA

View Full Version : NDSU adds the University of Arizona to the 2022 schedule

dewey
April 10th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about NDSU adding the University of Arizona to the 2022 schedule.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4248556-ndsu-finally-finding-fbs-games-again-thanks-pac-12-conference

Here is an excerpt from the article.

The Sept. 17, 2022, game at Arizona Stadium in Tucson is one of three with Pac-12 teams in a five-year period. The Bison are playing at the University of Oregon in 2020 and at Colorado in 2024.
NDSU will get a $425,000 guarantee from Arizona with the Wildcats on the hook for a $1 million buyout. It's also further evidence any games with FBS schools in the Midwest region like the Big Ten Conference are long gone.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24844&stc=1

http://www.gobison.com/news/2017/4/10/north-dakota-state-adds-2022-football-game-at-arizona.aspx

FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State University and the University of Arizona have signed a one-game contract to play in the 2022 football season.

The Bison and Wildcats will play Saturday, Sept. 17, at Arizona Stadium in Tucson. It will be NDSU's first game with Arizona and the second of three against Pac-12 opponents.

NDSU has road games scheduled with the Oregon Ducks on Sept. 5, 2020, and the Colorado Buffaloes on Aug. 31, 2024.

Arizona has been to bowl games seven of the last nine years. The Wildcats have not played a team from the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

NDSU has a 9-3 record against teams from the Football Bowl Subdivision. The Bison have won their last six straight FBS games including last year's 23-21 victory over the 11th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes.

Dewey

Bucs2016
April 10th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Guess the Big 10 and Big 12 got tired of NDSU beating their asses haha

dewey
April 10th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Guess the Big 10 and Big 12 got tired of NDSU beating their asses haha

The Big Ten has a league mandate against scheduling FCS teams. Apparently playing cupcake FBS teams is no problem though as has been disused on here numerous times.

NDSU now has games against 3 Pac 12 teams (Oregon, Colorado and Arizona).

Dewey

Hammerhead
April 10th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Two losses to NDSU and one to South Dakota was more than enough for Minnesota. :)

BisonTru
April 10th, 2017, 09:04 PM
The Big Ten has a league mandate against scheduling FCS teams. Apparently playing cupcake FBS teams is no problem though as has been disused on here numerous times.

NDSU now has games against 3 Pac 12 teams (Oregon, Colorado and Arizona).

Dewey

I'm hoping Matt Larson can keep hammering the phones and get as many Pac 12 games as he can. If we beat Oregon in 2020, you can count the Pac-12 out for adding any further games like our current position with the B12 and B1G.

IBleedYellow
April 11th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I'm hoping Matt Larson can keep hammering the phones and get as many Pac 12 games as he can. If we beat Oregon in 2020, you can count the Pac-12 out for adding any further games like our current position with the B12 and B1G.

Jeremy Jorgenson is actually the one that makes the calls...then he ropes Larson in once they actually start showing interest.

GodHelpTheBears
April 11th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I wish we could play creampuffs like Arizona

F'N Hawks
April 12th, 2017, 10:51 AM
$425,000 isn't much. Especially being 6 years out.

centennial
April 12th, 2017, 11:00 AM
That's what happens when you might actually beat them.

gsf23nd
April 12th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Big 10 - Dead
Big 12 - Dead
Pac 12 - ?

F'N Hawks
April 12th, 2017, 02:59 PM
That's what happens when you might actually beat them.

Yah, that's it.

Poor negotiating. They know how much they are getting from Oregon two years before that.

BadlandsGrizFan
April 12th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Colorado pending how the first two game pan out...im guessing if the Bison beat the Ducks and Wilcats...Colorado be like xeyebrowx

NDSU should consider losing one before the Pac12 tells them to piss off as well. lol

Thundar
April 12th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Yah, that's it.

Poor negotiating. They know how much they are getting from Oregon two years before that.

Yeah.....Ok

Oregon has confidence they will win, AZ doesnt

Bisonator
April 12th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Colorado pending how the first two game pan out...im guessing if the Bison beat the Ducks and Wilcats...Colorado be like xeyebrowx

NDSU should consider losing one before the Pac12 tells them to piss off as well. lol
I was openly campaigning to throw the Iowa game. xlolx

F'N Hawks
April 12th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Yeah.....Ok

Oregon has confidence they will win, AZ doesnt

Cool. That still doesn't explain why NDSU took it. 225k less than they are getting from Oregon two years prior.

Bisonator
April 12th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Cool. That still doesn't explain why NDSU took it. 225k less than they are getting from Oregon two years prior.
Probably because that's all we can get at this point. It's a great location because NDSU has a lot of alums in Arizona. The game will probably bring in more in donor dollars then the actual payout. JJ was probably shocked when Arizona actually answered the phone!xlolx

POD Knows
April 12th, 2017, 08:12 PM

The weather is nicer in AZ, there, end of discussion.

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 08:14 PM

Because we probably don't need that money as bad as you guys do. :D

POD Knows
April 12th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Because we probably don't need that money as bad as you guys do. :D

They are going to get a big TV deal with B1G hockey.

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2017, 08:17 PM

Because its more about the game than the payday.

F'N Hawks
April 12th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Because its more about the game than the payday.

Arizona? LOL, dohkay. xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 08:21 PM

Says the fan of a school from ND that "Big timed" it thinking conference FB games in that state was the bees knees. xlolx

cx500d
April 12th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I agree, its almost a bribe to get them to play us. At least the buyout is worth something; too bad they aren't Montana State.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 15th, 2017, 08:53 PM

Without a ton of alumni in AZ and easy flights there, the price of the payout is insignificant IMO.

I'll be there. And in Oregon and Colorado.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Here's something we should all consider when looking at this scheduling:

What kind of state will NDSU be in by the time this game rolls around?

Will they still be a dominant force to be reckoned with?

Or will the program go slightly down the FCS pecking order?

Depending on what state the team is in 5-6 years from now, we could see two completely different games in theory.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised you guys don't go hit up the SEC teams. They pay.

Since you guys aren't an Alabama school should be easy for you to set up a $1 million dollar game with the Tide.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:01 PM
I'm surprised you guys don't go hit up the SEC teams. They pay.

Since you guys aren't an Alabama school should be easy for you to set up a $1 million dollar game with the Tide.

Im pretty sure the only SEC teams that would even consider scheduling an FCS team are the bottom feeders ffs. The big hitters most likely wouldn't even return the call.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Im pretty sure the only SEC teams that would even consider scheduling an FCS team are the bottom feeders ffs. The big hitters most likely wouldn't even return the call.
Auburn isn't a hot team and I'm pretty sure they paid us like $700,000.

Hell, Bama played UTC and has Mercer on the schedule.

*Edit*

Double checked, we got $525k to humble them in 2015. They also had to pay us for 2013 when they bought out our game IIRC.

citdog
April 15th, 2017, 10:04 PM

The Citadel invades Tuscaloosa in 2018.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:04 PM
The Citadel invades Tuscaloosa in 2018.
Kick their ass.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:09 PM

I'll give you the point there, but do you really think anybody really wants to schedule NDSU at this point? People have been saying for awhile now that NDSU is a FBS level squad playing in a lower division.

What happens if the Pac-12 stops answering calls from NDSU? Do you really think the SEC will want any part of them then? I really don't think so.

Looking ahead to this season though, I see EWU giving NDSU their biggest test this year, I really don't see their conference giving too bad an issue.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I'll give you the point there, but do you really think anybody really wants to schedule NDSU at this point? People have been saying for awhile now that NDSU is a FBS level squad playing in a lower division.

What happens if the Pac-12 stops answering calls from NDSU? Do you really think the SEC will want any part of them then? I really don't think so.

Looking ahead to this season though, I see EWU giving NDSU their biggest test this year, I really don't see their conference giving too bad an issue.

You really think Bama, LSU, or Florida are afraid of the Bison?

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:14 PM
You really think Bama, LSU, or Florida are afraid of the Bison?

Anything can happen on any given Saturday ;)

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:16 PM
But seriously though, if App State could knock off #5 Michigan way back when, who's to say NDSU couldn't knock off someone like Bama, LSU or Florida

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:18 PM
But seriously though, if App State could knock off #5 Michigan way back when, who's to say NDSU couldn't knock off someone like Bama, LSU or Florida

I'm not saying they couldn't. We almost did it. I'm just saying I doubt the big boys are intimidated enough to turn down a game. If they were afraid of taking a loss they wouldn't be scheduling top 10 teams in their OOC games.

citdog
April 15th, 2017, 10:19 PM
App State

Never heard of 'em

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:21 PM
I'm not saying they couldn't. We almost did it. I'm just saying I doubt the big boys are intimidated enough to turn down a game. If they were afraid of taking a loss they wouldn't be scheduling top 10 teams in their OOC games.

I can't argue that, I honestly don't think anyone really could argue it. Do I think the big guys are afraid of the Bison? Probably not, but if the Bison knock off Oregon and Zona it may make the big guys of the SEC think a little bit before wanting a piece of the Bison

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Never heard of 'em

I know your BS'ing here so I'm not gonna say anything and just act like I didn't see this reply

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Confederate winners.

Never heard of 'em

Neither has anyone else. :D

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Confederate winners.

Neither has anyone else. :D

Does anyone actually remember that game ffs? The only one from back then people actually remember is NDSU over Minnesota.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Does anyone actually remember that game ffs? The only one from back then people actually remember is NDSU over Minnesota.
Which game?

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Which game?

Appalachian State vs Michigan at the Big House in 2007

BisonFan02
April 15th, 2017, 10:56 PM
SEC teams have plenty of regional FCS schools to pick from....they don't need to reach north versus busing one of you guys in.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 11:00 PM
SEC teams have plenty of regional FCS schools to pick from....they don't need to reach north versus busing one of you guys in.

Very valid point there sir.

JSUSoutherner
April 15th, 2017, 11:03 PM
Appalachian State vs Michigan at the Big House in 2007
I know a heck of a lot more people that know about that game than people who know NDSU even played Minnesota.

That's why you should call Alabama. They refuse to play us local folks. They paid $1.8M to bring in Arkansas State in a few years.

And to be fair, not sure why they wouldn't fly you guys in and Oregon and Zona would. Both those teams have options that aren't stuck in South Canada.

We didn't bus to LSU.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 11:05 PM
I know a heck of a lot more people that know about that game than people who know NDSU even played Minnesota.

That's why you should call Alabama. They refuse to play us local folks. They paid $1.8M to bring in Arkansas State in a few years.

Fair enough

BisonFan02
April 15th, 2017, 11:27 PM

And to be fair, not sure why they wouldn't fly you guys in and Oregon and Zona would. Both those teams have options that aren't stuck in South Canada.

We didn't bus to LSU.

Go take a look at who those late season games the SEC teams play against comprise of......Ark State is a FBS team and count different and command a higher price in the tomato can market.

GodHelpTheBears
April 16th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Go take a look at who those late season games the SEC teams play against comprise of......Ark State is a FBS team and count different and command a higher price in the tomato can market.

I am honestly surprised that no SEC West teams have reached out to us about being said tomato can.

We've played Arkansas a number of times, but always in the first weekend of the season.

Sundog
April 16th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Big 10 - Dead
Big 12 - Dead
Pac 12 - ?

Niedermeyer? Dead!

citdog
April 16th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I am honestly surprised that no SEC West teams have reached out to us about being said tomato can.

We've played Arkansas a number of times, but always in the first weekend of the season.

Arkansas will never play The Citadel again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9X90lvWAAAP5oh.jpg

5 Sept, 1992
The Citadel 10
Arkansas 3

JSUSoutherner
April 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM

5 Sept, 1992
The Citadel 10
Arkansas 3

xcoffeex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsunpiYs7Cg&app=desktop

citdog
April 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM
38-35 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQTqsmnr80

GodHelpTheBears
April 16th, 2017, 03:39 PM

5 Sept, 1992
The Citadel 10
Arkansas 3

We've had some good games with Arkansas in the past. They used to come up to Springfield for hoops games. We've traded blows many times in baseball, including in the CWS playoffs...

...but we've been beaten like a drum every time in football. Oh well, our guys beat UNLV once.

Mike296
April 16th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Just so we're clear on this, I'm by no means a NDSU fan, there's a reason I don't have a team Avatar so to speak. I've only been following FCS football since 2007 and any team I'd "support" would be considered Bandwagoning because I live in a state with no FCS teams to boot. We have a powerhouse D3 program and a pretty good Big 10 team who finished #8 in the FBS polls and thats about it so yea.

JSUSoutherner
April 16th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Just so we're clear on this, I'm by no means a NDSU fan, there's a reason I don't have a team Avatar so to speak. I've only been following FCS football since 2007 and any team I'd "support" would be considered Bandwagoning because I live in a state with no FCS teams to boot. We have a powerhouse D3 program and a pretty good Big 10 team who finished #8 in the FBS polls and thats about it so yea.
You must have loved how the NFC Championship went last year. :D

Mike296
April 16th, 2017, 09:29 PM
You must have loved how the NFC Championship went last year. :D

I don't really pay attention to the NFL lol

BisonFan02
April 16th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Here's the 2017 SEC/FCS slate

8/31 - Florida A&M @ Arkansas
9/2 - Chuck Southern @ Miss St.
9/2 - Misery St @ Missouri (Lovely)
9/9 - Northern Colorado @ Florida (odd....)
9/9 - EKU @ Kentucky
9/9 - Chatty @ LSU
9/9 - UT Martin @ Ole Miss
9/9 - Indiana State @ Tennessee (odd-ish)
9/9 - Nicholls @ Texas A&M
9/9 - Alabama A&M @ Vandy
9/16 - Mercer @ Auburn
9/16 - Samford @ Georgia
11/18 - Mercer @ Alabama (WTF Mercer....haha)
11/18 - Wofford @ South Carolina

My point? They are largely regional....SoCon, SWAC, Big South....OVC....Two MVFC matchups and the one out of the Big Sky kinda throws my theory in the trash, but my rational is still sound. xlolx

dbackjon
April 17th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Here's the 2017 SEC/FCS slate

8/31 - Florida A&M @ Arkansas
9/2 - Chuck Southern @ Miss St.
9/2 - Misery St @ Missouri (Lovely)
9/9 - Northern Colorado @ Florida (odd....)
9/9 - EKU @ Kentucky
9/9 - Chatty @ LSU
9/9 - UT Martin @ Ole Miss
9/9 - Indiana State @ Tennessee (odd-ish)
9/9 - Nicholls @ Texas A&M
9/9 - Alabama A&M @ Vandy
9/16 - Mercer @ Auburn
9/16 - Samford @ Georgia
11/18 - Mercer @ Alabama (WTF Mercer....haha)
11/18 - Wofford @ South Carolina

My point? They are largely regional....SoCon, SWAC, Big South....OVC....Two MVFC matchups and the one out of the Big Sky kinda throws my theory in the trash, but my rational is still sound. xlolx

NAU has played at Ole Miss before.

Missouri State at Missouri - SEC and MVFC do overlap in one state, so it is geographical.
Terre Haute is as close or closer to Knoxville than 6 of the SEC opponents

stevdock
April 20th, 2017, 12:13 PM
38-35 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQTqsmnr80

Not saying I will ever forget the wins over Minnesota, K State, and Iowa among others, but it's time to get one that isn't 20+ years old isn't it??

citdog
April 20th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Not saying I will ever forget the wins over Minnesota, K State, and Iowa among others, but it's time to get one that isn't 20+ years old isn't it??

Here you go Bro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3m5CPqX6Aw