PDA

View Full Version : YSU Spring game cancelled

Paladin1aa
April 5th, 2017, 08:36 AM
YSU announced that this Friday Red-White game has been cancelled. Reason given was it was going to rain. Might be cold. No move to Saturday, no reschedule.

First sign there is trouble brewing in Penguin land for next season.

dbackjon
April 5th, 2017, 10:01 AM
What trouble?

DirtyDukes
April 5th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I'd say it looks like the trouble is sand in gine

GodHelpTheBears
April 5th, 2017, 11:25 AM
YSU announced that this Friday Red-White game has been cancelled. Reason given was it was going to rain. Might be cold. No move to Saturday, no reschedule.

First sign there is trouble brewing in Penguin land for next season.

You guys should stop the trouble now and bring Wolford back. xnodx

If these fears I keep seeing from other Valley fan bases are valid, we might actually have a winning season this year.

Professor Chaos
April 5th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I don't think this means any trouble for the on-the-field product but this sure sees to be a recurring theme with the YSU athletic department "dropping the ball" in terms of fan relations based on this and the debacle with tickets requested for Frisco. These spring games mean virtually nothing for the development of teams themselves, they're more important to the fans to get a little taste of football during the offseason and to get a look at the future of the team. YSU, as much as any FCS program in the country, has some great positive momentum coming off the year they just had and this is a botched opportunity to build fan support and excitement.

Again, not really a big deal for the team itself going into next year, but fan support is what sustains programs and the YSU athletic brass doesn't seem to have much interest in building fan support based on this and other head scratching moves they've made.

GodHelpTheBears
April 5th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I don't think this means any trouble for the on-the-field product but this sure sees to be a recurring theme with the YSU athletic department "dropping the ball" in terms of fan relations based on this and the debacle with tickets requested for Frisco. These spring games mean virtually nothing for the development of teams themselves, they're more important to the fans to get a little taste of football during the offseason and to get a look at the future of the team. YSU, as much as any FCS program in the country, has some great positive momentum coming off the year they just had and this is a botched opportunity to build fan support and excitement.

Again, not really a big deal for the team itself going into next year, but fan support is what sustains programs and the YSU athletic brass doesn't seem to have much interest in building fan support based on this and other head scratching moves they've made.

I get why YSU would want one, but I question their decision to schedule it on a Friday night in early April in the first place. It's not like Youngstown, OH is guaranteed good conditions at that time. Even we are having our spring game during the day of April 29, and we have much warmer temperatures this time of year.

Besides, their athletic department is nowhere close to being as bad as ours...

BisonTru
April 5th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Besides, their athletic department is nowhere close to being as bad as ours...

Their Athletic Department literally gave 3K tickets allotted for their fans to JMU. Sorry Bear, your guys haven't done anything that can tough that.

GodHelpTheBears
April 5th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Their Athletic Department literally gave 3K tickets allotted for their fans to JMU. Sorry Bear, your guys haven't done anything that can tough that.

We ran our revenue programs so far into the dirt that we had to cut other sports to make up the loss in income.

We built a $67 million arena based on donations we have not received in full because the benefactor's estate is tied up in court and big name events that the university has not been able to attract because the arena is too small. Ticket sales and Bear Fund contributions are at lower levels than they were the year before the arena opened. The venue itself has struggled to generate enough revenues to cover its own debt service.

We were forced to play a super regional at Arkansas even though we had the higher seed, because the Springfield Cardinals had first dibs to the ballpark and no contingency plan had been created in the 10 years the park had existed.

Penguin Nation
April 6th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Revenue Programs? Please. Our AD renewed a FB HC's contract who for 9 years had one playoff season, for a "football" school where post-season is (was) the base expectation. We had a MBB HC there for 12 years with a barely 0.300 conference record, and only one season with a winning conference record (barely at 10-8). He hired a WBB HC who didn't win a single game all season, not one, and most games were blowouts. Then there's "ticketgate" and it's cover-up and so much more.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say there's trouble brewing. Defensively there's going to be a drop off with the loss of DE's Rivers and Moss. Offensively, I think our running game will even improve despite the loss of RB's Ruiz and Webb. Alessi and McCaster will be legendary. If I'm wrong then we are in trouble with a QB who consistently gets negative rushing yards. 8-3 would not surprise me, and even a deep playoff run unless we face another Valley team. You could not have written a better bracket placement than last year.

Paladin, why specifically do you think there's trouble brewing? I don't read much into the Spring game thing, but am not in the inner circle either.

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2017, 01:23 PM
PN -- think Wolf h. S. recruits and Bo transfers. That is the formula that produced the playoffs. Wolfs last class is left and Bo has no big time transfers,,,,,,,,, yet. Rivers and Moss are huge losses and no one here replaces them. Lost two outstanding ol with no one replacing them and there is no depth there either. McCaster should be o.k. But Alessi is over rated. They lost their entire starting secondary and players there are not as good and depth is poor. The QB problem is back with a poorer OL and no new help. WR remains a problem. Look for teams to shut down the run game, tee off on the QB on pass downs. Our secondary should be picked apart. In short, trouble on both sides of the ball. As I have warned for several years, the bottom is about to fallout with Bo's poor H.S. recruit classes and no big transfers. Watch what happens with the so called "local" stars next season. Quality of athlete goes down and so do wins. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think so. Train wreck ahead

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2017, 01:36 PM
PN-- they also have a lot of injuries now. The kids Bo has brought in are soft. While weather is the excuse,they are in trouble with injuries. Some of these kids won't play in the fall. Much was made of Bo's "great" classes. Even the AD is covering his butt.

Bisonator
April 6th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Spring games are going the way of the dodo. Hell eventually there may not even be spring practices. I mean if you can't tackle anymore is there even a need for practice? xlolx

ValleyTalk
April 6th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Ahhh yes let's listen to the guy who said we'd go 6-5 last year...

Paladin1aa
April 6th, 2017, 08:14 PM
But ignore the previous 10 years I was right.....................

typical of of the cheerleaders......

ValleyTalk
April 6th, 2017, 09:42 PM
But ignore the previous 10 years I was right.....................

typical of of the cheerleaders......
Here is why people should take your opinion with a grain of salt. You don't like Pelini. If you take your animosity toward Bo out of the way of your predictions, I'd welcome your analysis. However, ever since he was hired, you have taken every opportunity to criticize Bo. The guy wins. The players embrace him. He got us to the title. You don't have to like his style, but at least give him credit for building a culture that can make this program a fixture in the playoffs once again. However, despite all of that, it is still not good enough for you.

Penguin Nation
April 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Here is why people should take your opinion with a grain of salt. You don't like Pelini. If you take your animosity toward Bo out of the way of your predictions, I'd welcome your analysis. However, ever since he was hired, you have taken every opportunity to criticize Bo. The guy wins. The players embrace him. He got us to the title. You don't have to like his style, but at least give him credit for building a culture that can make this program a fixture in the playoffs once again. However, despite all of that, it is still not good enough for you.

False. In 2015/BP's first year, Paladin predicted an outcome higher than our eventual 5-6 record.

"The guy wins" He did at NE, and in 2016 at YSU, and didn't in 2015. What helped him win in 2016 is largely gone, and what anchored him down is largely still there. I like Bo and his brother, and wouldn't want anyone else as HC, but 2015 did not need to be a losing season. I'm optimistic for 2017, expect playoffs, but I know Bo has shortcomings...clock management...tantrums like vs NDSU in 2015... player and OC selections. Overall his qualities outweigh his negatives IMO, but he's not a Football Jesus.

Paladin1aa
April 7th, 2017, 08:18 AM
The thing is, Bo is a " local " boy. Can't speak ill of him just as you can't offend the cheerleaders. Fact is, truth sadly got buried on the other board. Locals still think highly of local talent. Sorry but that is no longer true either. Strollo is a local boy and one of the most inept ADs ever. Anyone see a reoccurring theme ?

I picked YSU to wn title and make playoffs correctly. Crickets when that happened. But pick when they look to be down (and do go down) and suddenly you are a hater. I ignore idiots like you. Apparently the Valley does too with the drop in actual attendance.

My outlook is on the record again. Time will tell.

ytownchief22
April 9th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Ah yes, the spring game was cancelled due to bad weather so that must mean trouble is ahead for the football program. Really ?....

I've heard we have some FBS transfers coming in the summer. The team will be fine.

KPSUL
April 9th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Ah yes, the spring game was cancelled due to bad weather so that must mean trouble is ahead for the football program. Really ?....

I've heard we have some FBS transfers coming in the summer. The team will be fine.

Currently unidentified FBS transfers? Model student athletes no doubt.

ysubigred
April 10th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Currently unidentified FBS transfers? Model student athletes no doubt.

Sure are thanks for acknowledging itxthumbsupx
They are finishing the semester at their current school. Can't wait should not be any drop off on "D" actually we'll be deeper at a few positions. xbeerchugx

youcanbankit
April 10th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Good call by coach pellini. to cold. brrrr.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24840&stc=1