Point
Mississippi Valley State
@ Presbyterian
Savannah State
Monmouth
@ Gardner Webb
@ Kennesaw State
Liberty

Still playing a bad low division game which I dont love but oh well.

I LOVE that SC State is back on the schedule! This game is one that used to be annual. "State" was a regular top 25 program in the late 90s when CSU was just inching into being competitive and their last 3 games (97, 98, 99) were last minute heart breaking losses for CSU...then the series stopped. The 97 loss was brutally heart wrenching if you saw it happen. And the 1998 game...contrary to Post and Courier reports...WAS the record attendance at CSU until the 2015 playoff game, as over 7,000 attended at CSUs place.

The rest? Interesting we have 3 HBCUs in our non conference schedule. Wonder what the angle there is. With MS State and MSVS it seems the staff wants to get some Mississippi recruiting time.

Elon is a nice addition.

The rest? If we beat Kennesaw it is probably gonna result in our 3rd straight BSC title and playoff appearance since Liberty is now ineligible. Dont see any other Big South team taking it.

Record:
7-4 at worst.
10-1 at best.
Im gonna say 8-3 is guaranteed (losses to MSU, Liberty and maybe Elon). Big South champs. Will get sent to North Dakota State or to SoCon champion for 1st round of playoffs.

citdog
April 3rd, 2017, 06:31 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/Suffacated/dog-poo-1.gif

Bucs2016
April 3rd, 2017, 07:25 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/Suffacated/dog-poo-1.gif

Is that Citadels offense falling out his ass?

Hey hes performing better than Citadel did the last 4 times yall played us.

citdog
April 3rd, 2017, 07:46 PM
If you won't admit that you have a dog**** schedule you should really examine those commandments that the old Jew brought down that y'all supposedly follow as the foundation of your Southern Baptist school...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/18e25f7e7bd2e16b184d513a62d88b71/tumblr_mvb7r9inVE1rxam8fo1_250.gif

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 12:23 AM
If you won't admit that you have a dog**** schedule you should really examine those commandments that the old Jew brought down that y'all supposedly follow as the foundation of your Southern Baptist school...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/18e25f7e7bd2e16b184d513a62d88b71/tumblr_mvb7r9inVE1rxam8fo1_250.gif

Well it includes at least 4 teams better than yall so Im not calling it that bad.

Libertine
April 4th, 2017, 01:03 AM
The rest? Interesting we have 3 HBCUs in our non conference schedule. Wonder what the angle there is. With MS State and MSVS it seems the staff wants to get some Mississippi recruiting time.

SC State has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and shutting down for several years now. This is likely a home-and-home deal in which neither school pays the other but in which neither school has to also lay out a much cash in travel costs for an hour's ride up/down I-26.

MVSU was simply available and, having already signed up for road games at North Dakota State and Southern Illinois, is clearly in cannon fodder mode for 2017.

Savannah State has been a schedule-filler for CSU for some time but don't sleep on them this year. They weren't good last year by any stretch but they were significantly improved under the first-year coaching staff.

The Mississippi State game has been on the books for at least two years so I don't think the new CSU staff has a sudden desire to hit Mississippi in recruiting. Not saying they won't, it's just probably not the deciding force.

Elon is a good addition that almost balances out having NAIA Point on the slate. Last year's Point team was one of the worst squads I've ever seen, significantly worse than the Kentucky State team that CSU put 50+ on.

Still, there's only one sub D-1 so it's not the worst schedule CSU has ever had.

SENOREIDA
April 4th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Why the hell do you have an NAIA member on your schedule? D2 games are bad enough!

ex189
April 4th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Don't worry about our schedule. You go ahead and play your big boy football knowing that you lost to CSU the past 2 years. Good luck in the Sun Belt.

Why the hell do you have an NAIA member on your schedule? D2 games are bad enough!

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Man, I think a few of y'all have been to the beach today. Pretty damned salty on this thread..

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 10:21 AM
SC State has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and shutting down for several years now. This is likely a home-and-home deal in which neither school pays the other but in which neither school has to also lay out a much cash in travel costs for an hour's ride up/down I-26.

MVSU was simply available and, having already signed up for road games at North Dakota State and Southern Illinois, is clearly in cannon fodder mode for 2017.

Savannah State has been a schedule-filler for CSU for some time but don't sleep on them this year. They weren't good last year by any stretch but they were significantly improved under the first-year coaching staff.

The Mississippi State game has been on the books for at least two years so I don't think the new CSU staff has a sudden desire to hit Mississippi in recruiting. Not saying they won't, it's just probably not the deciding force.

Elon is a good addition that almost balances out having NAIA Point on the slate. Last year's Point team was one of the worst squads I've ever seen, significantly worse than the Kentucky State team that CSU put 50+ on.

Still, there's only one sub D-1 so it's not the worst schedule CSU has ever had.

All good points. The new HC and all offensive staff are guys from Chadwells staff so its a continuation of their philosophy. CSU has long used away OOC games for building recruiting ties. They recruit Florida hard, and have played UF, FSU, USF, UCF, Miami to get their name in the news down there. Plucked several of CSUs best players from there.

MS Valley Im not sure. But getting Mississippi St is almost surely a way to get their name into MS area. High talent density there but CSU has never had a recruiting presence there.

I agree about Savannah St. Its a shame. That place has potential to be pretty good if it wasnt such a cluster. Remonds me of early 1990s CSU. Great city to recruit to. Just need to get their crap in order.

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Yeah...i dont like it. I wonder if it is from the Coastal fallout. These schedules are usually done several years in advance. Im sure in 2013 when most of this was hashed out we assumed Coastal would be our midseason game. Had to replace you guys now that you're gonna go chase that euphoric late December bowl game in Montgomery on a Tuesday night which will lose in TV ratings to a South Park rerun : )

SENOREIDA
April 4th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Don't worry about our schedule. You go ahead and play your big boy football knowing that you lost to CSU the past 2 years. Good luck in the Sun Belt.
Kewl, good luck with Mark Tucker. Maybe he will want out before the season starts.

Thumper 76
April 4th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Oh this thread is fun.

In all seriousness though, a NAIA? Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ex189
April 4th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Very happy with Coach Tucker. Hopefully Coach Chadwell and Coach Korn will be able to get you guys over the hump as they are both great coaches. As the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, hire them. LOL
Kewl, good luck with Mark Tucker. Maybe he will want out before the season starts.

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Oh this thread is fun.

In all seriousness though, a NAIA? Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Bad. I remember in 1998 CSU played NAIA Bethel. CSU was 4-7 that year I think so they werent good. But they were up 71-0 late when the coaching staff had to tell the punt block unit to stop blocking punts because they were trying to not run it up any more. Embarrassing. D1 shouldnt play NAIA. Ever. One D2 is OK just like FBS plays one FCS. But not NAIA. Its almost literally intramural ball.

I can only assume this was a desperation move to fill the gap Coastal left.

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Very happy with Coach Tucker. Hopefully Coach Chadwell and Coach Korn will be able to get you guys over the hump as they are both great coaches. As the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, hire them. LOL

So am I. The handful of players Ive spoken to say Tucker was the brain behind the recruiting efforts and the gameplans on defense against option teams. Hes a Charleston native and appears to have no desire to move again. His days at The Citadel and East Tennessee St were very successful so I think we will be very pleased with him.

His first recruiting class had 3 Shrine Bowlers on the O line, is that right??? OL has historically been CSUs hardest position to recruit. If hes getting that done...im very excited.

ex189
April 4th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Our Defense will have to carry the load the first part of the season while we work to replace the stable of RB's that graduated. The OL will need to step up and from what I am hearing, is having a difficult time during Spring Ball against the front 7 for CSU. This can only make them better. Should be a fun year along Highway 78 and can't wait for the opening kickoff. Is it football season yet?

So am I. The handful of players Ive spoken to say Tucker was the brain behind the recruiting efforts and the gameplans on defense against option teams. Hes a Charleston native and appears to have no desire to move again. His days at The Citadel and East Tennessee St were very successful so I think we will be very pleased with him.

His first recruiting class had 3 Shrine Bowlers on the O line, is that right??? OL has historically been CSUs hardest position to recruit. If hes getting that done...im very excited.

Libertine
April 4th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Tucker was the brain behind the recruiting efforts and the gameplans on defense against option teams.

Just so we're clear, your QB coach was the brains behind the defensive gameplan against option teams?

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Just so we're clear, your QB coach was the brains behind the defensive gameplan against option teams?

Yes. Read his bio. He was out of coaching for 10 years because he worked as a contracted consultant to teams who faced option teams. I assume for anyone who had Georgia Tech or Navy next on their schedule. He actually coached in NAFL minor league a few summers in between haha.

Guess its one of those Sun Tzu "know thy enemy" things. CSU ran the option very well out of the shotgun the last few years and the results were obvious. If he knows how to run the option he knows how to defend it. CSUs DC who just left was there before Tucker. Once Tucker arrived, thats when the CSU D began to thrive against option offenses.

He was the offensive skill position coach at Citadel from 91-95 when they were one of the best offenses in the nation. Also at ETSU when they were a playoff team in late 90s (thats where he coached Chadwell). Then took a decade out of being a full time assistant and worked the consultant job.

Not saying hes some overall defensive genius. But just against the option yes. And hes an excellent recruiter. I dont think we'll lose much long term from Chadwell leaving. He hired an incredible staff while he was here and Tucker was a key guy in that who is now in charge.

ASU33
April 4th, 2017, 12:43 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/CSUFB/status/849032887890571267?p=v

@ Mississippi State
@ SC State
@ Elon
Point
Mississippi Valley State
@ Presbyterian
Savannah State
Monmouth
@ Gardner Webb
@ Kennesaw State
Liberty

Still playing a bad low division game which I dont love but oh well.

I LOVE that SC State is back on the schedule! This game is one that used to be annual. "State" was a regular top 25 program in the late 90s when CSU was just inching into being competitive and their last 3 games (97, 98, 99) were last minute heart breaking losses for CSU...then the series stopped. The 97 loss was brutally heart wrenching if you saw it happen. And the 1998 game...contrary to Post and Courier reports...WAS the record attendance at CSU until the 2015 playoff game, as over 7,000 attended at CSUs place.

Elon is a nice addition.

The rest? If we beat Kennesaw it is probably gonna result in our 3rd straight BSC title and playoff appearance since Liberty is now ineligible. Dont see any other Big South team taking it.

Record:
7-4 at worst.
10-1 at best.
Im gonna say 8-3 is guaranteed (losses to MSU, Liberty and maybe Elon). Big South champs. Will get sent to North Dakota State or to SoCon champion for 1st round of playoffs.

State yes, Valley no. Playing Valley isn't going to help your recruit in Mississippi any more than playing Wofford would. Valley averages maybe 1,100 people per game and has a very small following.

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM
State yes, Valley no. Playing Valley isn't going to help your recruit in Mississippi any more than playing Wofford would. Valley averages maybe 1,100 people per game and has a very small following.

Its more just to get the CSU name in the news and if we make the return trip, have that Friday night before the game to hit up local HS games. Many FCS teams do this. Ex., playing at Florida State wont get you FSU level recriits but FCS caliber kids in Florida who have never heard of CSU will watch the FSU game or read the paper and now knows them. When I was there only the HC and DC would be in the hotel Friday night on the road. All others were visiting recruits at HS games.

In the past CSU tried to get more exposure in VA/DC by playing VMI, Norfolk St, James Madison, Howard out of conference and tried to land UVA or Va Tech but couldn't. They shifted it all to the Florida region instead.

TheRevSFA
April 4th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Its more just to get the CSU name in the news and if we make the return trip, have that Friday night before the game to hit up local HS games. Many FCS teams do this. Ex., playing at Florida State wont get you FSU level recriits but FCS caliber kids in Florida who have never heard of CSU will watch the FSU game or read the paper and now knows them. When I was there only the HC and DC would be in the hotel Friday night on the road. All others were visiting recruits at HS games.

In the past CSU tried to get more exposure in VA/DC by playing VMI, Norfolk St, James Madison, Howard out of conference and tried to land UVA or Va Tech but couldn't. They shifted it all to the Florida region instead.

No newspaper in MS reports about Valley except for the Itta Bena Herald, which has a distribution of 400 people

Bucs2016
April 4th, 2017, 11:07 PM
No newspaper in MS reports about Valley except for the Itta Bena Herald, which has a distribution of 400 people

Ugh. Im hating this game more and more now. Makes no sense. Oh well. Maybe Jerry Rice will show up haha.

ASU33
April 7th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Ugh. Im hating this game more and more now. Makes no sense. Oh well. Maybe Jerry Rice will show up haha.

Jerry shows up for one game per year which is almost always the Jackson State game.