PDA

View Full Version : App State vs Montana in 07?

GRZZ
January 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
There is an article in the Montana Student News Paper that mentions this as a possibility. First I had ever heard of it. Here is what our AD said.

"Appalachian State is pushing harder than anyone," O'Day said. "They're even willing to come up here and play."

O'Day also mentions buy outs and rebuilding trust.

"We want to make sure that we're going to fulfill the obligations that we intended to make."

Sorry, no link. The student paper seems to be slow in returning from winter break in online department. And Dakotas, please don't turn this into a bash Montana thread, we already have those.

Mountaineer
January 24th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Nooooooo..don't do it ASU, unless we get the first game!! xlolx :thumbsup:

Col Hogan
January 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM
There is an article in the Montana Student News Paper that mentions this as a possibility. First I had ever heard of it. Here is what our AD said.

Sorry, no link. The student paper seems to be slow in returning from winter break in online department. And Dakotas, please don't turn this into a bash Montana thread, we already have those.

Gee, I miss the xDSU hourly bash fest. :bang:

Seriously, what a great match that would make. Having watched both teams play my team last year, it would be fun to watch...Hope it comes to fruition.

RabidRabbit
January 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Good luck in making this happen. This would be a fabulous match-up.

However, I'd rather see App St. to Fargo this year.... :smiley_wi

GRZZ
January 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Nooooooo..don't do it ASU, unless we get the first game!! xlolx :thumbsup:

I think we should visit you. It would one hell of a tough game early season for both of us. You would be expected win of course. But it would shut people I wont name up on subject I choose not to talk about in this thread.

AppGuy04
January 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Who cares who goes where first. Just put a no buyout clause in there

Death Dealer
January 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
It would be a great game...hope it's in Boone, so I can go see it.

89Hen
January 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very interesting indeed.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Let's just make the season short and say the winner of that game is declared the NC.

Grizzaholic
January 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Then what would I do for all of those saturdays in the fall????

lizrdgizrd
January 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Good luck in making this happen. This would be a fabulous match-up.

However, I'd rather see App St. to Fargo this year.... :smiley_wi
With no schedule released, who knows! Maybe we'll be going to Fargo and Missoula! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

No_Skill
January 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
With no schedule released, who knows! Maybe we'll be going to Fargo and Missoula! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Try'n to get the #1 Strength of Schedule are ya?

BigApp
January 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
call me skeptical about this one, although I'd like to see it...

NE MT GRIZZ
January 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Watch reruns of the 95 and 01 seasons!

BigApp
January 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM

you could touch up that mural of WaGriz on the side of your house! xlolx

lizrdgizrd
January 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Try'n to get the #1 Strength of Schedule are ya?
Yep, then when we run the table again we'll get to hear people complaining that we belong in FBS. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizzaholic
January 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
you could touch up that mural of WaGriz on the side of your house! xlolx

That is in the basement....

aggie6thman
January 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
This would be an unbelievable game! I hope that it all happens!

AZGrizFan
January 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Who cares who goes where first. Just put a no buyout clause in there

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And whereever that game is played I WILL be there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

AZGrizFan
January 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Yep, then when we run the table again we'll get to hear people complaining that we belong in FBS. xlolx xlolx xlolx

No, only MplsBison. :eyebrow: :rolleyes: xidiotx

BigApp
January 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
That is in the basement....

:lmao: :thumbsup: :lmao:

gvilleapp
January 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The state of Montana is probably #1 on the list of states that I would like to visit. Would love to have a September date with the Griz followed up by a little sightseeing trip to Glacier and Yellowstone.

Can we just cut the ADs out of the picture and booked this game ourselves?

NE MT GRIZZ
January 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The state of Montana is probably #1 on the list of states that I would like to visit. Would love to have a September date with the Griz followed up by a little sightseeing trip to Glacier and Yellowstone.

Can we just cut the ADs out of the picture and booked this game ourselves?

We should get a cut of the gate if these games happen!

Gvilleapp, You better make it a BIG sightseeing trip, Yellowstone to Glacier is about 600 miles. It would be on helluva trip though.

spoogemcgee18
January 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, my buddy (who is currently trying to walk on at Montana) sent me this in an e-mail a few weeks ago:

"P.S. Wait for the Griz to come to town."

At the time, I thought he was referring to the playoffs, but I guess he knew something we didn't. This might even indicate that the Griz will be playing in Boone in '07.

:Swallows Grain of Salt:

spoogemcgee18
January 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM
What a blockbuster of a game this would be. I can hardly contain myself. I'm definitely making the trip to Missoula if need be. I pledged to see a game at WaGrizz and this just gives me an even better reason.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I hope the stadium expansion will be done in time so we can cram another 2000 people into Wash/Griz

phillyAPP
January 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I am in for a trip to 'tana !!!

I missed a work related trip 2 years ago and kicked myself.

And, if they come to THE ROCK, that would be great also. I could imagine another attendence RECORD.

Lets do it CHARLIE !!!!!! APP AD

Black Saturday
January 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM
GRZZ,
I hope you are right about the game possibly being scheduled. Montana is a team I would like to see APP play. I don't care about which stadium. My only hope is that it is about the 5th game of the season, because APP doesn't usually play well early season. Hope you are right.

Death Dealer
January 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm doing a Century ride out in Montana in September. It'd be nice if it was along the same time, I could justify staying over for the game.

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Note to App State lawyers: When UM approaches you in May to buyout the game so they can play British Columbia School of Mines, insist on 50% punitive damages.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

AppGuy04
January 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Note to App State lawyers: When UM approaches you in May to buyout the game so they can play British Columbia School of Mines, insist on 50% punitive damages.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

which is why I said put in a no buyout clause

lizrdgizrd
January 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
which is why I said put in a no buyout clause
Leave the buyout, just make it more expensive than it costs to come play us. :nod:

appfan2008
January 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
If we did a home and home (which would be sweet) montana would have the home game in '07... with our construction and all I wouldnt expect more than 4 home games for my senior year :(

CopperCat
January 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM
This is interesting, and slightly comical......sorry UM, you're not gonna beat Appy in Boone OR in Fizzoula.

spoogemcgee18
January 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
"They're not afraid to play anybody," O'Day said. "But you also look at it and say, are we ready to play them? I know the fans would love it, but I'm not so sure the coaches would."

sorry UM, you're not gonna beat Appy in Boone OR in Fizzoula.

What's with all the negativity? If the big bad Grizzly Bears aren't going to step up and play App State, who will? As two of the premier programs in our great division, these teams should be obligated to play each other. It just makes sense. Look how good Ohio State-Texas was for the BCS.

The great thing about FCS is that each team can afford the loss without forfeiting their chance at a national championship run. It's a win-win situation. Worst case, the losing team picks its balls back up off the field, takes the valuable big-game experience, and hopes for a rematch in a few months.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
This is interesting, and slightly comical......sorry UM, you're not gonna beat Appy in Boone OR in Fizzoula.

What's comical is how the pussyCats pissed their opportunity down their legs.

nevadagriz
January 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I don't know if the Griz could beat appy? But I know appy would come away with a whole hell of alot more respect for Griz nation then they did the cats after your game.

AZGrizFan
January 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
What's comical is how the pussyCats pissed their opportunity down their legs.

xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx

Mr. C
January 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
If we did a home and home (which would be sweet) montana would have the home game in '07... with our construction and all I wouldnt expect more than 4 home games for my senior year :(
App State is going to have three SoCon home games already and could end up with three playoff home games as well, so what is preventing the Mountaineers from hosting two or three non-conference games? I don't see ASU playing just four home games. I'm not sure who started this rumor.

GOKATS
January 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx

FO- The Cats went into the 4th, down 7 in a very close game. ASU is deservidly the FCS Championship Team. They would readily have kicked the griz last fall. Sorry, I don't waste my time 'clicking' those cute little thingies you're so fond of.:smiley_wi

SeattleGriz
January 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
FO- The Cats went into the 4th, down 7 in a very close game. ASU is deservidly the FCS Championship Team. They would readily have kicked the griz ass last fall. Sorry, I don't waste my time 'clicking' those cute little thingies you're so fond of.:smiley_wi

Nice. Now people around FCS can see why I gave up going to games in Bozeman. To steal a line from Fat Albert: MSU is like school on Sundays, NO CLASS!

GRZZ
January 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Explain to me how you were in a game with them into the fourth quarter, we beat you this year and yet we still couldn't play ASU close let alone beat them?

Try taking off the cat colored glasses for a second.

Maroons
January 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
If the big bad Grizzly Bears aren't going to step up and play App State, who will?

I wish ASU and EKU could resume their series. I always enjoyed the games in Richmond and wanted to make the trip to Boone. But instead we went and booked up WCU... and then served as their only D-I win of the season last year! : smh :

ASU
January 26th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I wish ASU and EKU could resume their series. I always enjoyed the games in Richmond and wanted to make the trip to Boone. But instead we went and booked up WCU... and then served as their only D-I win of the season last year! : smh :
If you guys do not win that game you better turn in your spikes.

Bobcat in NC
January 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Explain to me how you were in a game with them into the fourth quarter, we beat you this year and yet we still couldn't play ASU close let alone beat them?

Try taking off the cat colored glasses for a second.

The Griz couldn't have beaten App in Boone. Period. Has nothing to do with MSU, I just think that App was that good this year. Would the Griz have played the Mountaineers close? Probably. Would App have won by 2 touchdowns in the end? Probably. Does any of this matter anymore? Nope.

So, to keep this on topic and not a Cat/Griz pissing match, I would LOVE to see this game. I'd probably even fly up to Zoola and mug someone for a ticket. If it happened to be a home and home, I'd be travelling to both. Two great programs with great traditions meeting at a point when both are loaded. The Griz should be better this year than last, especially if Lex is back and at full strength, and I think that App will fall off a little defensively (a player like Murrell isn't easy to replace). Could be epic if they can actually make this happen...

lizrdgizrd
January 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM
App State is going to have three SoCon home games already and could end up with three playoff home games as well, so what is preventing the Mountaineers from hosting two or three non-conference games? I don't see ASU playing just four home games. I'm not sure who started this rumor.
I think the concern is the construction at KBS. I certainly hope they can complete it all before the season starts, but if not I would think fewer home games would mean more weekend construction work so it would get finished before the playoffs.

Richmond Mountaineer
January 26th, 2007, 10:20 AM
According to the Montana ticket office yesterday, this game isn't happening. Sorry to disappoint everyone, especially myself.

GRZZ
January 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
So, to keep this on topic and not a Cat/Griz pissing match, I would LOVE to see this game.

Don't lecture me, a cat fan is the one that shifted it off topic by taking a shot at UM. I started the thread.

GRZZ
January 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
According to the Montana ticket office yesterday, this game isn't happening. Sorry to disappoint everyone, especially myself.

Wouldn't it make sense that the Montana ticket office is saying it isn't happening because it hasn't been scheduled yet? I would think that the ticket office workers wouldn't know too much more than the rest of us at this point as the AD said that they were talking but nothing else.

Richmond Mountaineer
January 27th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Straight from the Montana AD's off ice is that it's a money issue and the game isn't happening.

AppGuy04
January 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Straight from the Montana AD's off ice is that it's a money issue and the game isn't happening.

how would it be a money issue? both teams would sell out

BrevardMountaineer03
January 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
All I know is that it would be a huge matchup, talk about Strength of Schedule, both teams would benefit, no matter who won. I'd like to see a home and home like we have with JMU.....I've been thinking since the MSU game that we needed to expand our OOC games to include one team from the western part of the country. Just so that we could see different teams.

Ronbo
January 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Email to one of our fans from the AD Jim O'Day.

"Would love to play App State, but the cost may be too high for both schools. Trouble flying in and out of Boone and Missoula. We both estimate about $125,000… which most likely won’t be doable for either this year as we try to pay our bills. The cost of travel to some of these “remote” places is making scheduling more and more challenging and difficult. Everyone has to pay their bills, and wants some money in return for making the trip. Boise is paying in the neighborhood of $185,000 for a guarantee game, and we’re already at $125,000 being offered… with few takers. They say it would cost almost that much just to fly into Missoula and pay accompanying bills.

Because of our deficit, we were forced the past four years to buy out “return trips” to Hofstra, Cal Poly and South Dakota State (plus two more home games vs. Central Washington) – which hasn’t made UM very popular- and the word spreads. However, you have to do what you have to do to keep the program up and running. First Wayne Hogan had to make that decision, then Don Read, and now, me. By getting out of the deficit this year – and having more funding from the payoff of the north end zone and new stadium suite leases (first time in 20 years), we will see some light at the end of the tunnel. Fiscal Year 2007-08, however, is all about funding. Without the Griz-Cat game in Missoula (we net about $500,000 from that game) and a Division I guarantee (we netted about $500,000 from the Iowa game), we find ourselves battling a funding imbalance next year. In addition, by paying off the debt, we will no longer receive the $4/student football ticketing fee, nor much of the deficit elimination money (Collegiate Licensing, concessions, license plates, Coke contract), which will be significantly reduced, plus rent and other expenses are expected to increase by about $100,000. Thus, expenses will be increased somewhat, and revenues will be decreased. The difference is about a $500,000-$600,000 nut that we are facing…. And working through. It will, however, prevent us from paying a larger guarantee to someone wanting to come to Missoula this year…. Thus the reasons why we probably can’t provide someone like Appalachian State with enough to get here and still allow them to make money.

A lot of the top tier Football Championship Subdivision schools are having similar scheduling problems. Home games mean a lot to them, and thus, they are having to pay out guarantees or work out other funding options. At last count, App had two games still to schedule, Cal Poly had three (and needs all at home, plus they’re offering a guarantee of $90,000) and North Dakota State had four. It’s also harder for those of us in the Western United States because of the few I-AA opponents out here. Others are willing to play, but want us to go there first because of past history. At this point, I have two options: Find a I-AA to come to Missoula for an acceptable price, or play a I-A guarantee on the road – leaving us with six home games. There are very few Division I guarantees out there willing to talk to us. Most are scheduled through 2011 (last year was an exception because the 12th game ruling didn’t come down until January so they were all scrambling to find another game --- and a home game to those schools means significant dollars…. Iowa probably netted around $2.5 million playing the Griz). Except for the larger schools, most I-A guarantees range in the neighborhood of $150,000-$250,000… and we currently net about $300,000 for a home football game, depending on the guarantee we might have to pay out. Some of the Division I schools are also very particular as to whom they are willing to play… who wants to be the next Colorado or New Mexico to lose to a talented I-AA school at home? Disaster! Minnesota almost did the same last year with North Dakota State before escaping with a 10-9 win when NDSU had a short field goal blocked late in the game. Instead, they’d rather play a guaranteed win for a smaller fee… thus, making larger profits. We all look at “net” to the program, thus meaning those who are able to fly out of and into large metropolitan areas (even to the extent of Spokane, Portland and Salt Lake), as well as those where you can bus (most East Coast teams, plus Northern Arizona – Phoenix or Tucson) don’t need as much guarantee to make it work. This is different for Montana and Montana State, where expenses to fly in and out of this state are extremely high.

Economically, we have to be very sensitive to decisions made in the past that backfired. We have many people watching our financial situation very closely --- all the way up to the Regent level. We can not get out of hand as in the past when we made very expensive (and money-losing) trips to Hawaii, Hofstra and Maine --- and didn’t have the revenue streams to offset these high travel expenses. Down the road, we should be in much better position to do so. That being said, we are looking at some good home-and-home games with I-AA opponents, and most likely will have to get into some type of guarantee for our final game this year – which limits teams willing to come to Missoula.

It gets more and more challenging and complicating by the year… but we all learn a lot…. Especially from some schools whose coaches definitely do not want to see Montana on their schedule – both at the I-A and I-AA level. Scheduling is also becoming tougher and tougher for men’s and women’s basketball for the Griz teams as Robin Selvig and Wayne Tinkle will attest. It’s a new era."

Grizzaholic
January 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I am sick to my stomache about this schedule we have this year. O'Day really needs to get a pair. I guess we are just the laughing stock of all FCS. Our SOS will be pitiful. We might as well move down a division.

**** I am really dissapointed.

ball21
January 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM
That would be a great way to start the season off, but money and travel are both the issues that face these team. Let's just wait to the Championship game and then it will mean even more!!

Go ASU

barechestcat
January 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Email to one of our fans from the AD Jim O'Day.

Wow Ronbo! Did that come to you? That's an amazingly candid account of what the AD's go through. I can guarantee I wouldn't get that response from Fields if I e-mailed him.
O'Day sheds some real insight into the struggles of getting these dream matches that everyone would love to see year in and year out. I for one, was very disappointed in the lost NDSU game on our schedule. But, knowing that the MSU athletic department is still clawing its way out of the red, its kind of understandable where they may be coming from after reading the e-mail you posted.

Such a shame that something as wonderful as college athletics can be effected by the almighty $$$; such is life. :bang:

BigApp
January 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
how would it be a money issue? both teams would sell out

That's exactly it. Montana would lose a home game (and the $$$$) with a trip to Boone, whether it was the 1st game or the 2nd. Not factoring in a large buyout (I'm 100% certain Cobb would demand one from Montana).

mountain man
January 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Great email from the Montana AD. Since he said App still has 2 games to schedule, what are the OOC currently scheduled?

Appstate29
January 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
thats a real shame, I think they could have sold 30000 tickets for this game in Boone, now I don't know where they would put everyone, but they'd sell the tickets.

BrevardMountaineer03
January 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM
That all makes sense...It just sucks because the fans will be the ones missing out. I'd still love to see the matchup.

BETCHGRIZ
January 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Maybe not this year but a good chance for a home and home within the next two.

spoogemcgee18
January 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Only one thing left to do...Let's start a fundrasier!

citdog
January 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Where is it colder? Boone or Montana?

grizband
January 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Where is it colder? Boone or Montana?
Current temp in Boone, NC - 52 degrees
Current temp in Missoula, MT - 32 degrees

I don't know about Boone, but we are having a fairly mild winter here in Missoula. It does appear, though, that the climate in Missoula is a few degrees cooler during the fall and winter.

Appstate29
January 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
thursday it was about 15 degrees with winds gusting up to 60 MPH....BURRRR

citdog
January 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Both of ya'll can KEEP THAT!

mistersykes
January 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM
It sucks that this game won't happen. It would be a great one. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Missoula is much colder.

grizband
January 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
An example of what winter can be like in Missoula:

January 5 2004
High - -2 degrees
Low - -23 degrees

If I remember correctly, the windchill in areas near Missoula reached -40 that week.

GoldandBlack
January 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
January 5 2004
High - -2 degrees
Low - -23 degrees

If I remember correctly, the windchill in areas near Missoula reached -40 that week.

In that case, with the exception of the girls on the keg, I'd take Boone any winter day of the week.

GOKATS
January 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
An example of what winter can be like in Missoula:

January 5 2004
High - -2 degrees
Low - -23 degrees

Wimps! That's a nice day in Bozeman. We beat those temps in the last couple weeks and they're by no means records of any kind. :smiley_wi

AppMan
January 27th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think the concern is the construction at KBS. I certainly hope they can complete it all before the season starts, but if not I would think fewer home games would mean more weekend construction work so it would get finished before the playoffs.

Work on the new athletic center and pressbox will take two, possibly three years to complete.

citdog
January 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Is there any reason to live outside of the Lowcountry of South Carolina? We hit 82 degrees a couple of Sundays ago.

SoCon48
January 28th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Work on the new athletic center and pressbox will take two, possibly three years to complete.

Especially since actual construction has not even begun.

lizrdgizrd
January 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Is there any reason to live outside of the Lowcountry of South Carolina? We hit 82 degrees a couple of Sundays ago.
During the summer in Boone you don't even need air conditioning. :nod:
So a summer house in Boone and a winter house in Charleston? :smiley_wi

putter
January 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
"Division I guarantee (we netted about $500,000 from the Iowa game)"

And out of that Coach Hauck and O'Day only agreed to play Iowa if the president agreed to give the football program about $200k of that money. If the program could keep most of it's revenue I have a feeling there would not be this problem.