PDA

View Full Version : ODU Football Progress Report

Monarch Nation
January 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
ODU is closing in on the $8 million endowment for football, and expects to hire a head coach in February.

Meanwhile, ODU athletic director Jim Jarrett said this week that after the expected hiring of a head coach in February, an immediate priority will be adding two assistant coaches. He said the coaches will begin to establish relationships with high school coaches, recruit players and promote the program to the public.

"Recruiting for the 2008 high school graduating class is beginning now," Jarrett said. "Our goal is to have a staff of three that will immediately recruit the first class and get out in the community and begin selling the program. A major part of that is to... develop relationships throughout the state, obviously concentrating on Hampton Roads."

ODU received about 80 applications for the head-coaching position. Their experience level ranged from NFL to high school and prep school. Jarrett refused to say how many candidates are still being considered or when the process will enter its final stage.

Virginian Pilot article on ODU Football (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118063&ran=231232)

89Hen
January 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the update Nation. :thumbsup:

Obviously they are attracting a lot of applicants from every level, but exactly what kind of coach would be a fit for ODU and vice versa? IMO they should be trying for somebody with some local/regional knowledge, younger, hungrier and I'd probably want somebody with some I-AA knowledge too. I guess they have to realize that their first coach most likely won't be long term. If they succeed they'll be gone in a flash, if they don't they'll have to be let go.

Thoughts?

89Hen
January 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Goes against my younger theory, but any chance of a guy like Jim Reid? I know he's only been at VMI a year and they had a tough year (but what did he really inherit?).

89Hen
January 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM
How about Matt Kelchner at Christopher Newport? :eyebrow:

Spent a lot of time at W&M. Went 42-22 as the first coach of a new program. Hmmm.. That's my winner.

Monarch Nation
January 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing that we will go for a coach that can prove he can recruit a class that will only practice for a year. That will take somebody that has FCS experience as well as start-up experience, as well as somebody who knows how to recruit. That would exclude the NFL guys, unless by some astronomical chance we get an NFL "name" (like Russ Grimm) to lend celebrity to the program. Frankly, I'd rather go the experienced route than the celebrity route (if there is a chance that would even happen) because the celebrity route smacks of a freak show approach that only serves to draw publicity to the program rather than substance.

henfan
January 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
ODU seems prepared to make good, deliberate choices with football. IMO, they're on track to field a competitive program sooner rather than later. :thumbsup:

MplsBison
January 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
8 million x 5% = 400000. You're only going to spend 400000 on scholarships?

dbackjon
January 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
8 million x 5% = 400000. You're only going to spend 400000 on scholarships?

Riddle me this - how much does NDSU have as a dedicated ENDOWMENT for Football Scholarships?

OL FU
January 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Riddle me this - how much does NDSU have as a dedicated ENDOWMENT for Football Scholarships?

and do Colleges only invest in T-bills:confused:

MR. CHICKEN
January 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
SEWAK.....KNUCKLEDRAGGERS........WHAT BETTERAH WAY TA START UP UH PROGRAM........DAN DUH...TRIPLE-O.........SIMPLE..YET....EFFECTIVE....HEY EVEN RHODEY....WINS....ONCE IN UH WHILE.................;)....BRAWK!

GannonFan
January 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Why did this get moved to the "Other Sports" section??? ODU's going to be a CAA football member and play FCS football - why then is a thread about how they are going to start doing that considered to be "other sports"?

Monarch Nation
January 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
The admins moved the thread because we aren't playing yet.

I guess this is our practice field until 2009. xlolx

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Why did this get moved to the "Other Sports" section??? ODU's going to be a CAA football member and play FCS football - why then is a thread about how they are going to start doing that considered to be "other sports"?
Agreed. Mods, this will be an I-AA team, nothing else.

GannonFan
January 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
So is any thread about a full non-IAA (FCS) team destined for this section as well? Most of the Great West isn't fully eligible for FCS play yet so are all NDSU threads going to be moved here? There were some Central Arkansas threads last year that should've been sitting here as well. Hey, I think the Mods do a great job, I just think we're getting a little silly here with a move like this - ODU's a topic that concerns CAA football, and FCS football - making it harder for people to see information like that by moving it to a section like this just makes it hard for the fans to find it. :nod:

Monarch Nation
January 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Looks like we've been moved back to the regular FCS forum. Thanks, Mods.

I'll keep any new announcement of ODU Football to this thread to keep from cluttering up the boards.

89Hen
January 29th, 2007, 08:17 AM
You're a good man Charlie Brown.

Tribe4SF
January 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Informed rumor that UVA assistant Mike London is going to be offered the ODU job. If true, an excellent choice.

Monarch Nation
January 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
It would be the type of hire that would start our program with a bang and generate a real buzz in the community.

Mike London (http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/london_mike01.html)

mcveyrl
January 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Informed rumor that UVA assistant Mike London is going to be offered the ODU job. If true, an excellent choice.

That would be great for ODU, bad for my guys. UVa consistently recruits well in Hampton Roads and I think that would help him out a lot.

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 10:19 PM
UNC-Charlotte is looking into adding football too. They could join the CAA as a football only member or better yet just split into 2 conferences.

th0m
February 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
Yes there have been endless discussions of conference break ups and all, I think all parties involved are eager to find out how things will pan out when the time comes.

citdog
February 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Went to a couple Citadel-VMI games at the Oyster Bowl on the campus of ODU, hell of a place. VERY nice to the Cadets!

henfan
February 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
UNC-Charlotte is looking into adding football too. They could join the CAA as a football only member or better yet just split into 2 conferences.

IF UNCC begins sponsoring the sport and IF they play at the FCS level, they'd likely have to join the CAA for all sports to get any interest (assuming the CAA votes to eventually expand.) The conference already has no dearth of FB affiliates and won't be looking for any more unless some of them depart. It's a real longshot and not even worth considering at this point.

mainejeff
February 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
Could look something like this down the road. Major changes: Hofstra from CAA to America East and Richmond from A-10 to CAA. Also, Central Connecticut and Monmouth from NEC to America East (although I still say that UMass and URI are tops on the list but very unlikely as all-sport members).

America East
Maine*
UNH*
BU
Vermont
Hartford
Central Connecticut*
Hofstra*
Stony Brook*
Albany*
Binghamton
Monmouth*
UMBC

Football affiliates: UMass and URI

CAA
Northeastern*
Drexel
Delaware*
Towson*
George Mason
VCU
Richmond*
James Madison*
William & Mary*
ODU*
UNCW
Georgia State

Football affiliates: Villanova and Charlotte

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hofstra from CAA to America East and Richmond from A-10 to CAA.
I think those are both unlikely.

GannonFan
February 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM

I agree - old school people in the CAA hate Richmond for how they left the conference - I think they're personally a little silly over the whole matter but their feelings are real. They're going to be a football affiliate, but I can't imagine, in the short term, any more than that. And Hofstra leaving the CAA would just seem odd and not even from a football perspective but from the basketball perspective. Anyway you play it the America East is a sizeable step down basketball wise (both men's and women's) from the CAA. How leaving it would affect the quality of bball at Hofstra would be an important part in the discussion.

mainejeff
February 1st, 2007, 11:57 AM
I agree - old school people in the CAA hate Richmond for how they left the conference - I think they're personally a little silly over the whole matter but their feelings are real. They're going to be a football affiliate, but I can't imagine, in the short term, any more than that. And Hofstra leaving the CAA would just seem odd and not even from a football perspective but from the basketball perspective. Anyway you play it the America East is a sizeable step down basketball wise (both men's and women's) from the CAA. How leaving it would affect the quality of bball at Hofstra would be an important part in the discussion.

Women's hoop is not a step down other than the fact that the CAA has ODU. Yeah, yeah.....I know. JMU, Hofstra and Delaware are having great seasons.......this year.

How many NCAA appearances does Hofstra men's hoop have while they've been in the CAA? Actually, being in America East would probalby help their recruiting of area (NY/NJ/CT) players because they would be playing so many games in the immediate area (Albany, Stony Brook, Hartford).

mainejeff
February 1st, 2007, 12:00 PM

Maybe, but we'll see ;)

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM
Delaware are having great seasons.......this year.
:eyebrow: Since moving to the CAA the Hens women's bball has gone

23-7 (15-3 CAA/2nd)
22-9 (15-3 CAA/1st)
19-10 (10-8 CAA/4th)
25-6 (16-2 CAA/1st)
22-8 (13-5 CAA/3rd)
currently 17-3 (8-1 CAA)

I wouldn't limit them to "this year".

mainejeff
February 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
:eyebrow: Since moving to the CAA the Hens women's bball has gone

23-7 (15-3 CAA/2nd)
22-9 (15-3 CAA/1st)
19-10 (10-8 CAA/4th)
25-6 (16-2 CAA/1st)
22-8 (13-5 CAA/3rd)
currently 17-3 (8-1 CAA)

I wouldn't limit them to "this year".

It was more of a blanket statement covering all 3 programs. No doubt that Delaware's program is better now then when they were in AE, but if you take a closer look....they were already improving at the end of their stay in AE ;)

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
they were already improving at the end of their stay in AE ;)
That's because they knew sunnier days were ahead. :p

GannonFan
February 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM
Women's hoop is not a step down other than the fact that the CAA has ODU. Yeah, yeah.....I know. JMU, Hofstra and Delaware are having great seasons.......this year.

How many NCAA appearances does Hofstra men's hoop have while they've been in the CAA? Actually, being in America East would probalby help their recruiting of area (NY/NJ/CT) players because they would be playing so many games in the immediate area (Albany, Stony Brook, Hartford).

Well, I think ODU has pulled those programs up and for the long haul.

As for Hofstra, if their sole motivation was to get into the NCAA, and if that was every school's motivation, why wouldn't you see schools move down to lesser conferences to have a better shot a getting a bid? You never see that happen, schools always gravitate to better conferences so that the product as a whole gets better. If that was the case Hofstra should just bypass the America East altogether and see if they can get into the MAAC or the NEC as it would be even easier to make the tourney from those conferences. :rotateh: As for recruiting, maybe, but they already play a lot of games in the immediate area anyway - Manhattan, Stony Brook, Syracuse, St. John's, Siena, St. Francis (NY) (heck, maybe they should just join the MAAC! ;) ) are all on the schedule every year already - playing in the CAA doesn't take them out of the area any more than playing in the America East would - they have 5 conference games south of Baltimore this year - the America East would involve trips to Maine, UNH, and Vermont that aren't that much closer. The best thing to say about going to America East for Hofstra would be that they could really develop a rivalry with Stony Brook as conference mates. The rest of the stuff is a wash or even in the CAA's favor. And they are there now.

henfan
February 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
There is absolutely no way in heck any D-I school would return to a conference they voluntarily left, whether it be Hofstra, Richmond or whomever. Book it!

A decision to leave a conference is typically very costly, done after a great deal of forethought and deliberation, and is permanent. It's just not that simple for huge institutions to reverse decisions after only a few years, even when (maybe, especially when!) the decisions appear not to be good ones. The administrators and boards making these decision have huge egos. As demonstration of this, how many D-I schools that have voluntarily changed conferences have voluntarily returned to the same conference? It just doesn't happen.

AEC fans pining for the return of Hofstra and Northeastern will wait as long as some of them have waited (apparently) for the return of former New England/Yankee Conference foes, UMass and Rhody, if not longer.

Fresno St. Alum
February 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
Maine, you're asking a lot of Monmouth, C.Conn. St., Albany going from 30 schollys to 64. I can see Albany because they are in the AEC already. I say Nova would go with the NE schools for football if the CAA split.

Richmond may have left but I think that the CAA (basketball) is better than the A-10. We will see if they can hold up year after year but the CAA has been better for 2 years in a row now.

GannonFan
February 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I say Nova would go with the NE schools for football if the CAA split.

That would be an absolute shocker if you ask me. nova has nothing to do with the Northern schools as it is, and most of their fanbase despises playing football at this level anyway. If they went with the Northern schools they could probably forget ever hosting UD again as UD would probably never agree to a home and home with nova - it would all be in Newark. Plus, nova would need to pull out of the CAA in the other sport or two that they are an associate member (lacrosse specifically). IMO, nova stays where UD is in football, maybe a very small chance they go to the Patriot, but if they leave UD football I think it's either to join the Big East (ain't happening anytime soon) or they drop football like they did in the 80's.

mainejeff
February 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
That would be an absolute shocker if you ask me. nova has nothing to do with the Northern schools as it is, and most of their fanbase despises playing football at this level anyway. If they went with the Northern schools they could probably forget ever hosting UD again as UD would probably never agree to a home and home with nova - it would all be in Newark. Plus, nova would need to pull out of the CAA in the other sport or two that they are an associate member (lacrosse specifically). IMO, nova stays where UD is in football, maybe a very small chance they go to the Patriot, but if they leave UD football I think it's either to join the Big East (ain't happening anytime soon) or they drop football like they did in the 80's.

So Villanova's future depends on Delaware? :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you, but Delaware holds very little sway compared to their days in AE (the zenith of Blue Hen arm twisting IMO). Villanova is not one of your underlings (Drexel, Towson and Hofstra).

I can see Villanova joining the Patriot as an affiliate more than anything when the current CAA breaks up.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
So Villanova's future depends on Delaware? :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you, but Delaware holds very little sway compared to their days in AE (the zenith of Blue Hen arm twisting IMO). Villanova is not one of your underlings (Drexel, Towson and Hofstra).

I can see Villanova joining the Patriot as an affiliate more than anything when the current CAA breaks up.

I disagree. Not only would coach Talley never go for it, Villanova would never give up 1) a guaranteed sellout every other year and 2) a decent rivalry with Delaware in football only to see them play, say, Georgetown the third week in November every year.

IMO, Villanova will be joined at the hip with Delaware, much like Richmond is joined at the hip with W&M. The football rivalries DO have sway here. :twocents:

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
IMO, Villanova will be joined at the hip with Delaware, much like Richmond is joined at the hip with W&M. The football rivalries DO have sway here. :twocents:
I brought this up on the other thread about the CAA. I think everyone needs to look at this from the CAA's standpoint, not Delaware's or Nova's or W&M/UR's... the CONFERENCE will do what's best for the conference IMO. I don't see any way they'd kick out UMass, URI and UNH but tell VU and UR they can stay. IMO it's an all or nothing deal separating the associates. :twocents:

Lehigh Football Nation
February 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I brought this up on the other thread about the CAA. I think everyone needs to look at this from the CAA's standpoint, not Delaware's or Nova's or W&M/UR's... the CONFERENCE will do what's best for the conference IMO. I don't see any way they'd kick out UMass, URI and UNH but tell VU and UR they can stay. IMO it's an all or nothing deal separating the associates. :twocents:

OK, is it in the conference's best interest for Delaware to play, say, Towson the third weekend in November, or a rivalry with Villanova? Similarly, does the CAA want to potentially disband the "Oldest Rivalry of the South" of Richmond/W&M? My take is, I don't think so.

Of course, the CAA management may feel like it's not worth anything - in which case I say that's a big mistake. :twocents:

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
OK, is it in the conference's best interest for Delaware to play, say, Towson the third weekend in November, or a rivalry with Villanova? Similarly, does the CAA want to potentially disband the "Oldest Rivalry of the South" of Richmond/W&M? My take is, I don't think so.

Of course, the CAA management may feel like it's not worth anything - in which case I say that's a big mistake. :twocents:
There are three OOC games every year. Clemson and USC are not in the same conference. Neither are Army/Navy.

If you want a I-AA examples: the Causeway Classic (UCD/SacSt), Citadel/VMI, Dartmouth/UNH, Brown/URI....

henfan
February 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

I agree with the former point but disagree with the latter one, my old friend. The initial offer made by the CAA to its affiliates was not contingent upon the group joining. Offers were extended to schools individually and they could choose to join or not as they please. Richmond initially considered joining the PL but thought better of it.

The CAA and its FB affiliates all understand that change in some form is likely on the horizon and have probably made some contingency plans to address it. It's unlikely any school or groups of schools would be asked to leave. They may do it on their own, however...

Anyone who has been paying attention to VU football realizes that they have absolutely zero interest in any FB league that consists primarily of New England schools. Gannonfan nailed it. My guess is that they'd remain in the CAA by default and because of their existing relationship with the conference, unless they reclassified or dropped FB (99% against that happening either way.) Given his recent comments, the PL remains an undesirable option so long as Andy Talley is running the show.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
It's unlikely any school or groups of schools would be asked to leave. They may do it on their own, however...
Why would any leave then?

BTW, what do you think is Talley's life expectancy at Nova? Is he there until he decides he wants to leave?

henfan
February 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
IMO, I'm not sure how receptive some of the New England schools would be to required flights to Atlanta, Norfolk and Fairfax every few years (on top of the flights they already make to play JMU, W&M, UR, TU, UR and VU.) Besides, there's already some impetus from AEC head Pat Nero for the conference to start its own FB league. I think the CAA would want to encourage that when the time is right, to the extent that they could.

Talley's probably got the 'Nova job for as long as he wants it. He's seen as the godfather of VU's FB revival.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
IMO, I'm not sure how receptive some of the New England schools would be to required flights to Atlanta, Norfolk and Fairfax every few years (on top of the flights they already make to play JMU, W&M, UR, TU, UR and VU.)
Well, unless they make the conference schedule 11 games, there would be no impact. They'd fly to Atlanta instead of Williamsburg, or to Norfolk instead of Harrisonburg.

BTW, which teams do fly to which conference opponents?

GannonFan
February 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Why would any leave then?

BTW, what do you think is Talley's life expectancy at Nova? Is he there until he decides he wants to leave?

I think he's there until he either dies or leaves - and even then someone will need to tell the admin over at nova that they need a new football coach. No one pays attention to football at nova, at all, save for those 5 guys over on the nova boards and one of them hasn't left Ohio in years so those guys aren't guarantees to show up at games. I certainly know there's no way they join an America's East in anything, so it's the status quo, Patriot League, FBS football in the Big East, or no football. I'd lean with one of the first two, although they may move to no football after being in the Patriot League and realizing they won't win that conference every year. That is, if anyone notices. ;)

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think he's there until he either dies or leaves - and even then someone will need to tell the admin over at nova that they need a new football coach.
xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod:

henfan
February 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Well, unless they make the conference schedule 11 games, there would be no impact. They'd fly to Atlanta instead of Williamsburg, or to Norfolk instead of Harrisonburg.

BTW, which teams do fly to which conference opponents?

True, but I'm not sure we can say that just yet. It depends on how new teams in the south affect divisional alignment. If GSU & ODU were added, perhaps VU & UD might be forced into the north split. There's at least one additional flight mandated every year.

At a minimum, I believe Maine and New Hampshire fly anywhere south of NYC. Not sure if Maine typically flies into NYC.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
At a minimum, I believe Maine and New Hampshire fly anywhere south of NYC. Not sure if Maine typically flies into NYC.
What about the Hens? I really don't know for which they fly.

GannonFan
February 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
What about the Hens? I really don't know for which they fly.

I thought they fly to both Maine and New Hampshire, drive everywhere else.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
I thought they fly to both Maine and New Hampshire, drive everywhere else.
I seem to recall following the team buses up to UMass in '85 or '86.

henfan
February 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
UD also flies in to Boston (NU), Providence (URI) and Hartford (UMass) for football and Boston, Atlanta (GSU) and Wilmington (UNCW) for Olympic sports. They have bussed to Amherst for FB but I'm not sure that they do that any longer.

YoUDeeMan
February 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
UD also flies in to Boston (NU), Providence (URI) and Hartford (UMass) for football and Boston, Atlanta (GSU) and Wilmington (UNCW) for Olympic sports. They have bussed to Amherst for FB but I'm not sure that they do that any longer.

FB has a lot more players than any other sport, so flying that many people is much more expensive.

89Hen
February 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
UD also flies in to Boston (NU), Providence (URI) and Hartford (UMass) for football
And Chattanooga. :D

Fresno St. Alum
February 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
If the CAA goes all or nothing with affiliates W&M and Richmond rivalry can end just like Oklahoma and Nebraska who only play every 3rd year. Army/Navy and Lehigh/Lafayette and all the Ivy league rivalries are the only ones that are really safe. I'm sure there are a few others but OU and NU was huge, now not so much.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I seriously doubt that the W&M-Richmond rivalry would end even if they somehow ended up in different leagues. It's one of the oldest rivalries on the books! As long as they are playing at the same level (# of scholarships), then I think they'll find a way to play.

In regards to the fly/bus question. For UNH they fly to every CAA South school and AFAIK they bus to every CAA North school. Hofstra would be the only question, but we bus to Stony Brook for everything so odds are we bus to Hofstra. Unless Southwest flies non-stop from Manchester to Islip, I don't see flights for Hofstra games. Especially when I recall that we did a bus trip to Rutgers.

And to another question, UNH flying to Norfolk really isn't too different than flying for the W&M game. And flying to Fairfax really isn't too different than flying for the JMU game. And a flight to Atlanta isn't a big deal because of our proximity to Boston. There would be plenty of non-stops, less expensive options available. Was that question raised in this thread or another one?? :confused: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Monarch Nation
February 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Another head coaching name: Bobby Wilder - asst head coach and OC at Maine.

Virginian Pilot Article (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118879&ran=4614)

Scuttlebutt has it that a coaching announcement will be made Thursday or Saturday.