PDA

View Full Version : NCAA giving money to D1 schools

NorthChuckSouth
March 28th, 2017, 10:39 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ncaa-to-pay-million-to-state-s-division-i-schools/article_1e203688-1302-11e7-bb38-5beae97e7f59.html

Libertine
March 28th, 2017, 11:16 AM
The full distribution list can be found here:

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/usatoday/editorial/sports/2017-ncaa-special-distribution-by-school.pdf

DFW HOYA
March 28th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Not sure if equivalencies are included--Georgetown's numbers hover around 120 scholarships so 123.08 would be a very bad sign if it was included.

Interesting to see how underfunded some schools are on scholarships as a whole. VMI offers 118.06 scholarships, but take away 63 for football and 13 for men's basketball (the Keydets do not offer women's basketball), and it's next to nothing elsewhere.

Leading the subdivision? Appears to be James Madison (236.47). Last place in the subdivision? Davidson, 50.23.

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Not sure if equivalencies are included--Georgetown's numbers hover around 120 scholarships so 123.08 would be a very bad sign if it was included.

Interesting to see how underfunded some schools are on scholarships as a whole. VMI offers 118.06 scholarships, but take away 63 for football and 13 for men's basketball (the Keydets do not offer women's basketball), and it's next to nothing elsewhere.

Leading the subdivision? Appears to be James Madison (236.47). Last place in the subdivision? Davidson, 50.23.
I don't know how MVSU supports a scholapship FCS program at only 72 scholarships for the whole AD. They've played FBS schools each of the last two years also. Those wins must've not counted towards bowl eligibility for Eastern Michigan and New Mexico given MVSU's lack of scholarships (not that those FBS teams really need to worry much about bowl eligibility).

Thumper 76
March 28th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I don't know how MVSU supports a scholapship FCS program at only 72 scholarships for the whole AD. They've played FBS schools each of the last two years also. Those wins must've not counted towards bowl eligibility for Eastern Michigan and New Mexico given MVSU's lack of scholarships (not that those FBS teams really need to worry much about bowl eligibility).

"Supports"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
March 28th, 2017, 02:17 PM

The Citadel doesn't have women's basketball either. Is Georgetown still admitting men's basketball players who only have a GED?

kdinva
March 28th, 2017, 03:06 PM
....Is Georgetown still admitting men's basketball players who only have a GED?

ouch....

xtroublex

PAllen
March 28th, 2017, 04:00 PM
The Citadel doesn't have women's basketball either. Is Georgetown still admitting men's basketball players who only have a GED?

GED is optional for all Hoya athletes not bound by the PL AI.

DFW HOYA
March 28th, 2017, 05:49 PM

The only two I'm aware of were two kids who enrolled at college a year early from their respective Jesuit high schools (Loyola in Los Angeles, St. Ignatius in San Francisco).

Not sure you're familiar with Jesuit schools, but they're pretty good.

aceinthehole
March 28th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Great transparency into actual grants counts for the 2013-14 season.

That Davidson number is horrible - it was last place for all D-I schools. St. Francis Brooklyn (NEC) was 2nd lowest at 53.69.

Libertine
March 29th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Bear in mind that FCS schools only have to average 56.7 scholarships (ie., 90% of the full allotment) over two years to be a bowl-counter opponent for FBS teams.

Also, any institutional aid at all is counted by the NCAA towards the scholarship numbers, equivalencies included. So the number of scholarships that coaches at a given school have at their disposal, particularly in the Patriot League may be significantly fewer than what the NCAA credits them with.

I would be really surprised if VMI were at 63 for football or 13 for basketball. Even so, NCAA scholarship limits for pretty much every other men's sport is surprisingly low. For example, baseball can only have 11.7 and 12.6 for an entire cross country team. Women's sports scholarship limits are substantially higher proportional to their male counterparts for Title IX reasons but for a school like VMI where the female population numbers are so low anyway, it allows them to keep their total scholarship numbers significantly lower than schools they compete against.

kdinva
March 29th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I would be really surprised if VMI were at 63 for football or 13 for basketball. .

I think VMI is about 60-1/2 for football (for now)......have always been 13 for hoops....Fund raising arm of VMI really hitting the streets to get more scholarship $$$ for all sports...

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 29th, 2017, 09:25 AM
The money is to be spent only for the "direct benefit of the student-athlete and their academic success, life skills, career success, health and safety and student-athlete focused diversity and inclusion initiatives," according to the NCAA.

I'll be interested to hear what schools do with this money

walliver
March 29th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Great transparency into actual grants counts for the 2013-14 season.

That Davidson number is horrible - it was last place for all D-I schools. St. Francis Brooklyn (NEC) was 2nd lowest at 53.69.

Davidson really supports only one program, men's basketball. Otherwise they run a D-2 / D-3 athletic department.

Libertine
March 29th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I think VMI is about 60-1/2 for football (for now)......have always been 13 for hoops....Fund raising arm of VMI really hitting the streets to get more scholarship $$$ for all sports...

That's good. When the Keydets were in the Big South, all indications were that they were 57-59 for football. For basketball, I seem to remember the scholarship numbers being way down was what led Duggar Baucom to go to the loot'n'shoot style of play.

aceinthehole
March 29th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Davidson really supports only one program, men's basketball. Otherwise they run a D-2 / D-3 athletic department.

Yep, so many schools do D-I basketball and almost nothing else:

St. Bonaventure (A-10) - 70.36
Creighton (Big East) - 89.30
Valpo (Horizon/Pioneer) - 82.21
The entire MAAC - with the exception of Quinnipiac and Monmouth
Mt. St. Mary's and Fairleigh Dickinson (NEC)
Gonzaga (WCC) - 87.25

pokefan02
March 29th, 2017, 11:42 AM
How is Oral Roberts counted in the Southland conference. They bolted from the conference after a couple years when they were not as successful as they thought they would be.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Panther88
March 29th, 2017, 12:03 PM
The money is to be spent only for the "direct benefit of the student-athlete and their academic success, life skills, career success, health and safety and student-athlete focused diversity and inclusion initiatives," according to the NCAA.

I'll be interested to hear what schools do with this money

That draws the ire and bad-mouthing of quite a few d-1 fcs numnutts who look down on Title IX et al related initiatives. It's the same type of bantering when I hear a few buckeye alums telling us how "shi$$y, garbage, high-schoolish, and wasteful d-1aa is and the ncaa should scrap that level altogether."

Go...gate
March 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
So 158.10 scholarships is the average? I notice that the numbers for the Ivy League, West Point and Annapolis appear to be based on this overall figure.

cx500d
April 1st, 2017, 10:37 PM
Does he FN Hawks have to give some money back now that they chopped three more sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
April 2nd, 2017, 12:35 AM
Does he FN Hawks have to give some money back now that they chopped three more sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least they were smart by cutting women's hockey. That was killing them in the athletic department. The fact that they were wasting 2 million plus a season to keep that was a joke. While I believe they need to make administration cuts as well, at least this is starting in the direction.

F'N Hawks
April 3rd, 2017, 09:05 AM
At least they were smart by cutting women's hockey. That was killing them in the athletic department. The fact that they were wasting 2 million plus a season to keep that was a joke. While I believe they need to make administration cuts as well, at least this is starting in the direction.

UND made decent size admin cuts already. They are done now with everything. For now....

youcanbankit
April 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Samford received over 600k. I hope it makes it to the athletes.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24841&stc=1

walliver
April 12th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Samford received over 600k. I hope it makes it to the athletes.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24841&stc=1

I believe the schools have to tell the NCAA where the money is going before they get the check.

I wonder if Coastal Carolina's checks will go to athletes participating in the adult dancing competition ... administrators will deliver the payments straight to the athletes' G-strings.

kdinva
April 12th, 2017, 12:02 PM
....I wonder if Coastal Carolina's checks will go to athletes participating in the adult dancing competition ... administrators will deliver the payments straight to the athletes' G-strings.

:D

or for the Cheerleaders' legal expenses....