PDA

View Full Version : Current Recruit Rankings

UNHWildCats
January 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
according to CNNSI in there top 123 recruiting schools FCS schools on the list I noticed are...

107 Villanova
116 UC Davis
117 Northwestern State
118 Eastern Washington
122 Illinois State
123 Richmond

I may have missed some, not sure just looked quickly.

appfan2008
January 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
do you have a link for that?

UNHWildCats
January 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/01/23/team.rankings/index.html

fuEMO
January 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
This list is not up-to-date. Richmond has 1 - 2 star commit with a 50 rating and ranked 123? Nova has 5 - 2 star commits, 2 with a 5.4 and a 5.3. I would give them props for what appears to be a sold start. Furman is not listed but has commits from two players that I know of that are 2 stars Seth Skogan and Phillip Davis, Davis being the highest rank with a 5.3. The nutty think here is one player gets a 2 star on Rivals but gets zero stars on Scout and vice versa. This ranking stuff is meaningless.

ASU Kep
January 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
All of the FCS schools are only on there because of the number of recruits they have at this point, I didn't see any FCS schools with some highly starred recruits. Quality over quantity...

Appguy
January 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
FCS schools dont normally get over 2 star recruits. Armanti was a 2 star

youwouldno
January 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
The ratings are worthless. They are somewhat useful, though still inaccurate, when looking at big FBS schools, but have zero value when applied to FCS schools.

AggiePride
January 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm proud of the three star WR recruit we landed. Seems like a stud. He was at 80 on Monday..

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=51536

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
FCS schools dont normally get over 2 star recruits. Armanti was a 2 star

Which is proof that you cannot fully gauge a player on paper. I'm sure there are plenty of FBS schools that would love to have AE.

by the way, what were Brian Westbrook and Adrian Peterson?

Lionsrking
January 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
according to CNNSI in there top 123 recruiting schools FCS schools on the list I noticed are...

107 Villanova
116 UC Davis
117 Northwestern State
118 Eastern Washington
122 Illinois State
123 Richmond

I may have missed some, not sure just looked quickly.

These rankings are comparable to election returns at 20% of the vote counted as most of the commitments haven't been made public yet. Not to mention there isn't a uniform method of issuing stars by these services. A 2-star in one area of the country may not get any stars somewhere else. A lot depends on how well the players are marketed in a given region and how much film is available for the Rivals people to evaluate.

Pauly LB
January 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Rankings may have some validity after signing day -- Feb 7th...

boonedocks
January 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Which is proof that you cannot fully gauge a player on paper. I'm sure there are plenty of FBS schools that would love to have AE.

by the way, what were Brian Westbrook and Adrian Peterson?

Well said. :thumbsup:

I just don't think you can really gauge what a player can offer by a number, or amount of stars 12 guys for a website give them. I appreciate the efforts, it makes for some great off-season discussion, but they can't be right on every player that signs on to play college football. :twocents:

P.S. but i'm still allowed if App signs a 3 star recruit, or better for example to be really excited.:nod:

bluehenbillk
January 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
From what I've heard from CAA schools so far I'd say Villanova is having the best recruiting class so I'd agree with that. Putting Richmond high is funny though, I think they would be lucky to crack the top half of the CAA.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
David Ball wasn't even on anyone's radar screen when he was "recruited", and that was for track. 'Nuff said.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Just think...if an FCS recruiting staff had the perspicacity to recognize true talent that gets overlooked by the big guys, their team would be unstoppable. I guess there really is no way to do that, though.

Jackluv
January 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
this is worthless list....UC DAVIS is in front of alot of people and it shows they have 1 commit who happens to be a 3 star on rivals.com (they probably have more commits now but 1 commit 3star puts them past a crap loada schools) retarded stuff

SunCoastBlueHen
January 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
At least with Delaware's recent recruits, there seems to be little correlation between the number of stars a recruit has and how they end up performing on the field.

ASU
January 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I guess everyone else should just break up their football teams.

carney2
January 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Useless crap! Note that Richmond's #123 rating is based on one recruit (repeat, ONE recruit), and this guy happens to have just barely hit the radar screen with a 2-star rating.

aggie6thman
January 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Glad to see that we are up there in the rankings. I know that it is before signing day, but we have some talent coming in. I hope we continue to get some quality student-athletes.

AZGrizFan
January 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
All of the FCS schools are only on there because of the number of recruits they have at this point, I didn't see any FCS schools with some highly starred recruits. Quality over quantity...

Not to mention, Montana only has something like 7 scholarships to give this year. So they don't even have quantity. :eyebrow: :read:

CatFan22
January 24th, 2007, 09:54 PM
If these rankings include transfers, MSU just got a commitment from a 4-star safety from Butte CC in California (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2884969). Along with some notable names from the high school ranks in Montana, I think we are having a pretty good year.

catbob
January 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
6'4 200 pound, 4 star JC All-American safety. Oh yea!

JMUDuke2002
January 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Recruit rankings are pointless. Look at UVA, they always have top 20 or top 25 recruiting classes, and yet still suck.

NoSpinZone
January 26th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Recruit rankings are pointless. Look at UVA, they always have top 20 or top 25 recruiting classes, and yet still suck.

This year was their first losing season since 1986 and they went 5-7 (4-4) in the ACC. Many teams would love to have that level of suckiness I would think.As far as their rankings I don't think it's coincidence that the FL's, USC's, Texas's are ranked near the top every year and then have the top teams.

Football recruiting isn't nearly as accurate as hoops because hoops you have 30 games and AAU summer opposed to 15 games, but I think you can still develop players more in the weight room in football, but still its hard to miss a 6-8 350 guy that runs a 4.5 and eats QB's. Bottom line is it's not a bad thing to get touted players IMO. They become pointless when you don't like what they say.

Tribe4SF
January 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
This year was their first losing season since 1986 and they went 5-7 (4-4) in the ACC. Many teams would love to have that level of suckiness I would think.As far as their rankings I don't think it's coincidence that the FL's, USC's, Texas's are ranked near the top every year and then have the top teams.

Football recruiting isn't nearly as accurate as hoops because hoops you have 30 games and AAU summer opposed to 15 games, but I think you can still develop players more in the weight room in football, but still its hard to miss a 6-8 350 guy that runs a 4.5 and eats QB's. Bottom line is it's not a bad thing to get touted players IMO. They become pointless when you don't like what they say.

While I don't agree with his UVA analogy, I think JMUDuke2002 is right for FCS rankings. Top prospects (3 stars and above) are usually well researched, but the players most of us are recruiting are, for the most part, more difficult to predict in terms of talent and potential. The recruiting services work hard, but there are just too many players for them to cover our level well.

Case in point is Silver Spring, MD LB Chimso Okoji. The Tribe hoped to grab him under the radar when he was an unranked guy just a couple of weeks ago. Now he has offers from Michigan State and Iowa, and Rivals turns him into a 2 star with a 5.4 rating. His rating is based on the offers, not previous research of his talent.

NoSpinZone
January 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Good points. As you go down it is tougher to distinguish, but he was referring to the top guys that are on the radar early. It's pretty easy I would think to see the very top guys, and the FL's and Ohio States get a big pick of then. If the Big 10 is after a guy chances are he is pretty good as well and worthy of some rankings.

Coastal89
January 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
One of the posters on Coastalfans.com just said the coaches told him they have commits from the top twenty players on their list plus quite a few others.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Tribe4SF
January 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
One of the posters on Coastalfans.com just said the coaches told him they have commits from the top twenty players on their list plus quite a few others.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That's interesting. On the rivals board alone, four guys offered by Coastal have commited to other schools in the past couple of weeks. Dwayne Priest to E. Mich., Daniel Adderly to Miami, Bryce Smith to Samford, and Aaron Webb to Ga. Southern. You may still have a shot at Webb because he cited Brian Van Gorder as his main reason for commiting to GSU. He was to enroll for the Spring.