PDA

View Full Version : ROOT Sports Releases 2017 Big Sky TV Schedule

GetEmGriz
March 21st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Root Sports has released the 2017 TV Lineup, and it's glorious (heavy Montana(s)).

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17426361_10155080394513905_2544677112714055159_n.j pg?oh=53acc72a14d6029edb5e0dc7d5e4e4b4&oe=59621294

BadlandsGrizFan
March 21st, 2017, 01:51 PM
Its crazy...its almost as if ROOT sports prefers to show games with a big full stadium.....weird

SDFS
March 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM
Dam - UND has a game on Root - a game that will be impossible to find in the Midwest.

nodak651
March 21st, 2017, 07:43 PM
Dam - UND has a game on Root - a game that will be impossible to find in the Midwest.
No ****. I'm pissed I have to go to a bar to watch the Montana game now. The funny thing is our games can't be on Fox College Sports, now, because the Montana's
Big Sky has a contract with a regional network.

slostang
March 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM
I figured Cal Poly would be shut out this year since they do not have UM, MSU or EWU on the schedule.

I have to say that I am happy that no Cal Poly home games on Root. With two girls in sports my fall Saturday days are usually spent at a soccer field and the Root games are usually mid day. I do like it when Root televises Cal Poly road games.

CrazyCat
March 22nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
No ****. I'm pissed I have to go to a bar to watch the Montana game now. The funny thing is our games can't be on Fox College Sports, now, because the Montana's
Big Sky has a contract with a regional network.

Why can NAU games be on Fox Sports Arizona?

SDFS
March 22nd, 2017, 11:28 AM
Why can NAU games be on Fox Sports Arizona?

I think that FS-Arizona is regional. I don't think UND can put conference home games on Fox Sports Atlantic, Central or Pacific. UND used to put all homes games on those channels. I don't think they can do that now. I think Midco might be limiting that also because they are completing a build out the Fargo market. The part of the ROOT contract that I don't like is that you can not see the ROOT weekly game on line. If you are out of market like Poly/Davis and UND you can not watch the games easily.

CrazyCat
March 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM
I think that FS-Arizona is regional. I don't think UND can put conference home games on Fox Sports Atlantic, Central or Pacific. UND used to put all homes games on those channels. I don't think they can do that now. I think Midco might be limiting that also because they are completing a build out the Fargo market. The part of the ROOT contract that I don't like is that you can not see the ROOT weekly game on line. If you are out of market like Poly/Davis and UND you can not watch the games easily.

So, not being able to be on fox sports has more to do with the Midco deal than it does with ROOT?

SDFS
March 22nd, 2017, 12:29 PM
So, not being able to be on fox sports has more to do with the Midco deal than it does with ROOT?

I believe that it stopped because of the ROOT contract. If ROOT would allow Football on Fox Sports, Midco may or may not because they leverage UND hockey for the NW Min I-94 acquisitions and Fargo build out. In addition, I believe that Midco signed NDSU basketball this year to help with the Fargo build out.

nodak651
March 22nd, 2017, 09:21 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Not necessarily. It has an impact, but UND still airs some hockey games on FCS, for instance (they used to air all of them). UND also still airs all of it's home non conference games on FCS. In 2013, UND had 3 non conf home games, and they were all on FCS. USD this year, and Drake the year before were on FCS Pacific. This is all while zero conference games have actually been televised on FCS.

NAU has their home non conf games on FCS, but none of their conference games are.

The Big Sky bends over backwards for the Montana Root deal, while NAU has pretty much the same thing with Fox Sports Arizona, and Fox Sports Arizona actually shows basketball and volleyball sometimes.

cx500d
March 22nd, 2017, 09:27 PM
What, no games in Grand forks and only one with the Big Sky Co Champs, but a bunch of games with the hohum also rans.

Root Sports has released the 2017 TV Lineup, and it's glorious (heavy Montana(s)).

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17426361_10155080394513905_2544677112714055159_n.j pg?oh=53acc72a14d6029edb5e0dc7d5e4e4b4&oe=59621294

nodak651
March 22nd, 2017, 09:34 PM
My gripe is that the Big Sky markets the Root deal as a "Big Sky" contract, when in affect, it clearly isn't. The Montana's should have to work out their own regional TV contracts like everyone else, without limiting what other schools can do.

UND's NCHC hockey conference had an exclusivity clause in their first year with CBS Sports (an actual national network). The conference got a new commissioner before the second season of play, and he immediately renegotiated the contract to eliminate the national exclusivity clause. There is no reason the Big Sky should't be able to the same, especially because Root is a regional network putting national limitations on schools that it doesn't really even televise in the first place.

Bisonator
March 23rd, 2017, 08:31 AM
Does ROOT or the BSC actually stop any teams from their own regional deals? It would appear NAU has their own.

slostang
March 23rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
I believe Root gets their choice of games. Teams are then able to negotiate for the rights to any games not broadcasted by Root. What really sucks is that Big Sky TV can not stream any game that is being broadcasted by Root.

BadlandsGrizFan
March 23rd, 2017, 01:54 PM
ROOT has great production value...but man are they ****s when it comes to availability.

SDFS
March 23rd, 2017, 02:13 PM
ROOT has great production value...but man are they ****s when it comes to availability.

As you said, it is availability that is the problem. I have watched 1 root game. I happened to be on vacation in Rapid City SD. It was a high quality production as you stated.

SDFS
March 23rd, 2017, 02:16 PM
Does ROOT or the BSC actually stop any teams from their own regional deals? It would appear NAU has their own.

It does not stop the regional deals, but it does not allow broadcast of BSC conference games on national cable outlets. UND used to put games on Fox College Sports. Now, they only place nonconference games on Fox College Sports.

nodak651
March 23rd, 2017, 02:19 PM
Does ROOT or the BSC actually stop any teams from their own regional deals? It would appear NAU has their own. No, it prevents them from airing games nationally. For instance games on Fox Sports Arizona and Midco can't be rebroadcast on the Fox College Sports channels.

CrazyCat
March 23rd, 2017, 03:16 PM
No, it prevents them from airing games nationally. For instance games on Fox Sports Arizona and Midco can't be rebroadcast on the Fox College Sports channels.

I look forward to watching your future MVFC games on a national TV channel.

citdog
March 23rd, 2017, 03:25 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c2/c2d4131ed7b003b53f5c37a358e61511993a5125150fe3931e d9d6d24a33e1af.jpg

Professor Chaos
March 24th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I really like the MVFC's deal with ESPN3. Say what you will about internet streaming not being television but if I'm an out of market fan I'd prefer the games I want to watch to be on a free streaming service like ESPN3 over a regional/3rd tier cable sports channel that I have pay extra for. An added bonus of the MVFC/ESPN3 contract is TV doesn't dictate the start time of games so it's up to the host schools to set kick off whenever they want to. The SLC has a similar ESPN3 deal.

Grizalltheway
March 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I really like the MVFC's deal with ESPN3. Say what you will about internet streaming not being television but if I'm an out of market fan I'd prefer the games I want to watch to be on a free streaming service like ESPN3 over a regional/3rd tier cable sports channel that I have pay extra for. An added bonus of the MVFC/ESPN3 contract is TV doesn't dictate the start time of games so it's up to the host schools to set kick off whenever they want to. The SLC has a similar ESPN3 deal.

True. You can also pick up a Chromecast for 25 bucks and watch it on the big screen.

SDFS
March 24th, 2017, 07:09 PM

I like BSC Eversport better than ESPN 3. Eversport is truly free. "ESPN3 is not free!" and not all internet providers offer ESPN3. Only problem with Eversport is the Root TV deal which prevents the streaming of 1 game a week for football.

Professor Chaos
March 27th, 2017, 08:56 AM
I like BSC Eversport better than ESPN 3. Eversport is truly free. "ESPN3 is not free!" and not all internet providers offer ESPN3. Only problem with Eversport is the Root TV deal which prevents the streaming of 1 game a week for football.
Well, your ISP pays for ESPN3. And I think there's fewer and fewer providers all the time that still don't have it. But if your ISP does provide it you pay the same fee to them whether you use it or not. So while it may not technically be free it's an added benefit of your internet service that doesn't cost extra to use.

IBleedYellow
March 27th, 2017, 10:13 AM
PsVue.

I get WatchESPN full access and all of the Fox Regional Channels. I can see all the sports that I care about for $35/month.

SDFS
March 27th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Well, your ISP pays for ESPN3. And I think there's fewer and fewer providers all the time that still don't have it. But if your ISP does provide it you pay the same fee to them whether you use it or not. So while it may not technically be free it's an added benefit of your internet service that doesn't cost extra to use.

That has not been my experience with Time Warner now Charter in the cities... originally you had to have the sport pack which was an extra charge.. then I lost ESPN3 and they made you go to another tier up to get ESPN 3. Shortly after that, I switched ISP and that providers claimed they offered ESPN3 only to find out that they don't offer ESPN3. So, my experience has been very contrary to what you describe.

With Eversports all I need is internet access. Login just fine.

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2017, 09:10 AM
That has not been my experience with Time Warner now Charter in the cities... originally you had to have the sport pack which was an extra charge.. then I lost ESPN3 and they made you go to another tier up to get ESPN 3. Shortly after that, I switched ISP and that providers claimed they offered ESPN3 only to find out that they don't offer ESPN3. So, my experience has been very contrary to what you describe.

With Eversports all I need is internet access. Login just fine.
Really? That's really a bitch move from Time Warner then. I've had two different cable internet providers in Fargo now (Cable One and Midcontinent) and both offer ESPN3 to anyone that has internet service through them. There are creative ways around it if ESPN3 isn't supported by your ISP that would probably also work around the BS that Time Warner/Charter is throwing at you but it's a royal pain in the butt that really shouldn't be necessary given what the rest of the ISP market is doing.

BadlandsGrizFan
March 28th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Time warner Cable is the worst company in the world hands down..I hate those guys.....their name is associated with such **** service that they completely re branded their company...Now theyre Spectrum

Its like when Kobe changed his jersey number from 8 to 24.....the number 8 Kobe was a rapist....number 24 was a hard worker

mvemjsunpx
March 28th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Time warner Cable is the worst company in the world hands down..I hate those guys.....their name is associated with such **** service that they completely re branded their company...Now theyre Spectrum

Not exactly. Spectrum is Charter's cable brand name. Charter apparently bought out Time Warner Cable last year.

Schism55
April 3rd, 2017, 05:42 PM

Its like when Kobe changed his jersey number from 8 to 24.....the number 8 Kobe was a rapist....number 24 was a hard worker

Kobe ALWAYS worked hard at being a rapist ;)