PDA

View Full Version : Promoter Seeking Game Between Sam Houston & Texas Southern

3rd Coast Tiger
January 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
A SWAC (Jackson State) alum is negotiating with both institutions to put a game together between Sam Houston State and Texas Southern at the Round Rock Athletic Stadium Complex.

http://209.184.141.5/athletics/images/new_stadium.jpg

The payout is $35K per school including travel expenses for team and band.

gokats85
January 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Can't see that happening. Maybe in Houston, not Round Rock.

Freightliner
January 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I tend to agree - why schedule a game in Roundrock when Houston has a GREAT stadium in the Cy-Fair complex???? Probably have more TSU/SHSU alum's in Houston than in the Austin/Roundrock area?

wieeerrrdddddd.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Sam Houston officials are on board. Texas Southern's haven't approved/signed their contract yet.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Very interesting development...keep us informed!

Do you think Texas Southern will bite on it?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Very interesting development...keep us informed!

Do you think Texas Southern will bite on it?

Knowing our AD, he's probably holding out for Notre Dame, Southern Cal or LSU. xlolx

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I agree with the Berry Center idea. I don't see a Sam-TSU matchup drawing flies in Round Rock.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Knowing our AD, he's probably holding out for Notre Dame, Southern Cal or LSU. xlolx

That's a shame...

Is the 35k good enough for TxSo? It's clear profit especially with the bands and travel being paid for. Will TxSo draw in Austin? Will SHSU draw in Austin?

3rd Coast Tiger
January 23rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
That's a shame...

Is the 35k good enough for TxSo? It's clear profit especially with the bands and travel being paid for. Will TxSo draw in Austin? Will SHSU draw in Austin?

I was just kidding about them. UH is on the "possibility list" as well.

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I was just kidding about them. UH is on the "possibility list" as well.

UH fans on their board are pretty certain TxSo will be on their schedule. They have an opening, presumably for an FCS game.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Will TxSo draw in Austin?

The answer is yes we could draw in Austin.

When we played Grambling in San Antonio in 2000, the Alamo Dome had over 40K-45K people in attendance (fans roughly split down the middle). Mind you, we were undefeated and playing for a chance to represent the western division in the SWAC Championship Game at the time. We do have very strong alumni chapters in San Antonio, Austin and Dallas that would make that game.

HOWEVER, at this time, alumni and fans have no faith in our incompetent AD or in our head coach so fan support may not be very receptive for 2007 season (especially if our team isn't winning).

TexasTerror
January 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all this information, 3rd Coast...

Lots of the Kat faithful would prefer the game at Berry Center. Not sure what they'd make of it if this goes down...

Freightliner
January 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all this information, 3rd Coast...

Lots of the Kat faithful would prefer the game at Berry Center. Not sure what they'd make of it if this goes down...

I tend to agree.

If only the Ocean of Soul and a few handful of TxSou fans visited San Marcos this past season to play Texas State....how many fans do you think would visit Round Rock (only 45 minutes from SM)?

IMO not very many.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 24th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I tend to agree.

If only the Ocean of Soul and a few handful of TxSou fans visited San Marcos this past season to play Texas State....how many fans do you think would visit Round Rock (only 45 minutes from SM)?

IMO not very many.

Like I said in my previous post, if we are winning, alumni support will be there. However, if we are losing like we were going into the Texas State game, we had only 3 wins on the whole season. If you recall in that game, Texas State had an identical record as us and didn't have much fan support at that game either.

BigApp
January 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM
$35,000 ain't a whole lotta money. It'd be a nice game though!

th0m
January 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
just 35k? Wouldn't you make a whole lot more money if you just had a decently attended home game? Or do the teams get part of the gate as well?

Sly Fox
January 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
TSU plays in a very small setup on their campus. It doesn't generate a great deal of money. But I agree that a game at Berry Center would create some buzz. Round Rock? Not so much (and I was a longtime Round Rock resident before moving to H-town).