PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

clenz
March 6th, 2017, 10:16 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-03-03/college-football-rules-committee-recommends-changes-enhance-player

1. Prohibit defensive players who run toward the line of scrimmage from leaping or hurdling offensive linemen on field goal and point-after-touchdown attempts. Currently, defensive players can legally leap offensive linemen if they don’t land on another player.

2. Recommendation would require players to wear knee pads and pants that cover the knees. Currently, it is only strongly recommended that the pants cover the knee.

3. Including the nameplate area of the jersey in the current horse-collar tackle rule.

“Our committee’s most significant charge is to enhance the health and safety of our student-athletes when possible,” said Bob Nielson, chair of the committee and coach at South Dakota. “Each of these rules changes address areas that help us accomplish this goal.”

In other action, the committee extended two experimental rules for another season. The committee decided to allow conferences to continue using a collaborative approach to instant replay that includes conference office personnel. Also, the committee approved the continuation of The Ivy League’s kickoff experiment that calls for the ball to be kicked from the 40-yard line and spotted at the 20-yard line after touchbacks. The committee wants a larger amount of data to be collected.

Each of the 3 proposals must still be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to meet April 19th.

RootinFerDukes
March 6th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?

Is this consistently leading to player injuries? If not, why bother?

FUBeAR
March 6th, 2017, 10:42 AM
I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?

Yes - RB's and WR's have a whole lot of other things going on during the play that keep them from only thinking about taking a 10 yard running start, timing the snap, and leaping over the opponent. It's not nearly the static, 'premeditated' situation that exists on FG's and XP's. To have these guys using their athleticism to leap over the OLine on FG's and XP's is potentially very dangerous to them. I know the 2nd time a guy tried to do that over me, he would have been singing soprano for the rest of his career and/or landing on the top of his head in the turf after about an 8-10 foot drop.

I can support all of these changes - especially #2.

POD Knows
March 6th, 2017, 10:44 AM
#3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.

kdinva
March 6th, 2017, 11:00 AM
absolutely "YES" to #2..............hell no to #3......

ASU33
March 6th, 2017, 11:34 AM
#3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.

Pretty much!

Bisonator
March 6th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.

Bisonator
March 6th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Also on #1 I'd just teach my center or guards to punch the guy jumping over in the nuts. That'll learn them.

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Really only on board with #2 tbh. Yeah leaping the line could be dangerous. I would argue it's more dangerous for a ball carrier to try to hurdle a tackler, and I doubt that will be brought up anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mango433
March 6th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.

Not sure if there were a lot of injuries, but there definitely were some, usually in the NFL. Roy Williams was pretty well-known for it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-05-23-horse-collar-tackle-focus_x.htm

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Not sure if there were a lot of injuries, but there definitely were some, usually in the NFL. Roy Williams was pretty well-known for it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-05-23-horse-collar-tackle-focus_x.htm

What point do we have to get to before we accept that injuries happen in football and you can't legislate that out of it. I don't see this crusade against hockey or rugby. Hell I remember in hockey when I was a kid we had to watch videos on how to have your head positioned if you slide into the boards to help prevent broken necks. I know there isn't a pandemic of broken necks in hockey, it just more to the point of recognizing the risks and educating the players as opposed to trying to legislate safety until the game isn't the game anymore.

People are going to tear up knees, break things, dislocate limbs, and get concussions in a sport where you have large people smashing into each other at full speed, yet people act shocked an appalled that it happens. I understand trying to protect the athletes from themselves but at some point this basic concept just has to be recognized as a fact of the game.

mango433
March 6th, 2017, 02:21 PM
What point do we have to get to before we accept that injuries happen in football and you can't legislate that out of it. I don't see this crusade against hockey or rugby. Hell I remember in hockey when I was a kid we had to watch videos on how to have your head positioned if you slide into the boards to help prevent broken necks. I know there isn't a pandemic of broken necks in hockey, it just more to the point of recognizing the risks and educating the players as opposed to trying to legislate safety until the game isn't the game anymore.

People are going to tear up knees, break things, dislocate limbs, and get concussions in a sport where you have large people smashing into each other at full speed, yet people act shocked an appalled that it happens. I understand trying to protect the athletes from themselves but at some point this basic concept just has to be recognized as a fact of the game.

To be clear, including the nameplate as part of a horse collar is extremely dumb.

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 02:23 PM
To be clear, including the nameplate as part of a horse collar is extremely dumb.

Sorry, I should have said I'm not trying to rag on you. More was a general rant xlolx

POD Knows
March 6th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Pretty much!

What do you think of that rule, you played ball at a pretty high level, what are your thoughts.

hebmskebm
March 6th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Yes to 1 & 2, no to 3.

Nickels
March 6th, 2017, 07:42 PM
If players don't want to wear knee pads that's on them. I found them to be fairly useless and combersome. Stupid one size fits all rule.

PAllen
March 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM

Is this consistently leading to player injuries? If not, why bother?

The landing on someone is damn near impossible to call. The folks watching for it are the umpire on FGs and "double umpires" on PATs. From that position, once the ball is snapped, you can't see where or on what they land. We were just looking for jumping off of someone on the way up (climbing the pyramid). I like #2 as I've been frustrated by this for years. Players getting all kinds of knee injuries while running around with basically shorts on and paper thin knee pads up on their thighs. I don't like #3 as the horse collar rule as it is is way too subjective with a very severe penalty.

PAllen
March 6th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Really only on board with #2 tbh. Yeah leaping the line could be dangerous. I would argue it's more dangerous for a ball carrier to try to hurdle a tackler, and I doubt that will be brought up anytime soon.

Hurdling is actually a penalty too, although it is never called.

clenz
March 6th, 2017, 09:28 PM

Not at the college level

Bucs2016
March 6th, 2017, 11:04 PM

Not a lot. But occasionally a knee would pop. Cant remember the player but a high profile NFL guy went down and NFL immediately made the rule. We should just hand out the flags already.

- - - Updated - - -

Only in high school is it illegal

Bucs2016
March 6th, 2017, 11:09 PM

^^^^^^POST OF THE MONTH^^^^^^

JayJ79
March 6th, 2017, 11:41 PM

if it were illegal in the NFL, I'm sure the flag would have come out on this play:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000730309/Can-t-Miss-Play-David-Johnson-s-absurd-hurdle

youcanbankit
March 6th, 2017, 11:46 PM
I like all three. All three can cause a senseless injury.

TheKingpin28
March 7th, 2017, 11:20 AM
As usual South Park nails it:

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/k9a8o3/how-about-we-call-it-sarcastaball

wapiti
March 7th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Is there a restriction on how large the nameplate may be on a jersey?

If not,then all a team needs to do is make the name plate most of the jersey. (or at least larger.)

Go Green
March 7th, 2017, 02:30 PM

If memory serves, Conrad Dobler was the guy most well-known for the "leg whip" block (made illegal sometime in the 1970s).

citdog
March 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM
If memory serves, Conrad Dobler was the guy most well-known for the "leg whip" block (made illegal sometime in the 1970s).

Cap'n Cat was the "Conrad Dobler of the FCS".

clenz
March 7th, 2017, 02:43 PM
The knee pad thing is an easy fix at this point.

They used to be and never stayed over the knee. Cause the pant leg to not stay tight. Over the last decade equipment has evolved and schools will just get these for their players

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/96/0f/cb/960fcba57cea2e1ac75a188b53ebff34.jpg

Rather than

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8c/2a/4c/8c2a4ce26226e2ef85a1a1627b83d9af.jpg

Insert ADIDAS or UA for those schools with those contracts.

PAllen
March 7th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Is there a restriction on how large the nameplate may be on a jersey?

If not,then all a team needs to do is make the name plate most of the jersey. (or at least larger.)

You mean like when the NFL made it a 15 yd penalty to grasp someone's hair in the process of making a tackle? Within a season, ridiculously long hair was everywhere.

cx500d
March 7th, 2017, 08:35 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-03-03/college-football-rules-committee-recommends-changes-enhance-player

Each of the 3 proposals must still be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to meet April 19th.

#1 is stupid.
#2 I'm for. It seems like the macho attitude has resulted in less and less pads over the years...
#3 I think I'm against; we got plenty of rules, another just makes the officiating worse.

cx500d
March 7th, 2017, 08:37 PM
You mean like when the NFL made it a 15 yd penalty to grasp someone's hair in the process of making a tackle? Within a season, ridiculously long hair was everywhere.

Yes, stupidest thing ever. If you are going to have hair hanging out in the slipstream, it should be fair game for grasping at.

Hammerhead
March 7th, 2017, 09:16 PM
What about teams that don't have nameplates on their jerseys? xlolx

ngineer
March 8th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Years ago there was a no "hurdling" rule for advancing the ball, but either ignored or eliminated, since we see RB's leap into the endzone over the line all the time. The idea was for safety reasons. The 'running start' leaping for FGs and XPs should be banned. Very dangerous.

FUBeAR
March 8th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Years ago there was a no "hurdling" rule for advancing the ball

Yep - In the NFL, it was informally known as the "Calvin Hill Rule" or the "Grant Hill's Dad Rule" for you younger peeps.

Implemented sometime after 1969 (not sure what year) and removed prior to the 1978 season

PAllen
March 8th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Years ago there was a no "hurdling" rule for advancing the ball, but either ignored or eliminated, since we see RB's leap into the endzone over the line all the time. The idea was for safety reasons. The 'running start' leaping for FGs and XPs should be banned. Very dangerous.

It was still there a few years ago. We were advised to ignore it.

Thumper 76
March 9th, 2017, 06:49 AM

Honestly I'm having a hard time remembering a XP or field goal where someone got hurt, let alone specifically from people leaping over the line. Obviously it happens, but would think it would be more often if something was "very dangerous". Could it be more that people just think it's very dangerous because it looks like it might be?

Go Green
March 9th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Honestly I'm having a hard time remembering a XP or field goal where someone got hurt

No one got hurt from Cornell's "human pyramid" defense to block field goals either.

http://gridirongarb.blogspot.com/2015/01/cornell-big-red-1965.html

But it was still outlawed the next season. :)

PAllen
March 9th, 2017, 07:24 PM
No one got hurt from Cornell's "human pyramid" defense to block field goals either.

http://gridirongarb.blogspot.com/2015/01/cornell-big-red-1965.html

But it was still outlawed the next season. :)

Go for two.

I have seen folks get hurt on PATs, but it's usually the long snapper getting drilled with his head down (also illegal in all but the NFL).

Nickels
March 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I like all three. All three can cause a senseless injury.

What do define as senseless? One could argue the entire game can cause senseless injury.

GodHelpTheBears
March 10th, 2017, 02:13 PM
What about teams that don't have nameplates on their jerseys? xlolx

Shh...we need every advantage we can get. xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
March 10th, 2017, 04:06 PM
I'll know leagues are serious about patient safety when everyone has to wear a padded helmet like Mark Kelso.

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/1/19/Kelso-Helmet-teaser.jpg?44193

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140430/BLOGS06/140439971/mark-kelso-mocked-and-shunned-for-his-padded-helmet-in-the-1990s-is

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 06:29 AM
What do you define as senseless? One could argue the entire game can cause senseless injury.

Your posts.....xpeacex

vestaviadude
March 11th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Dont like any of them.

Bucs2016
March 11th, 2017, 03:11 PM
This "safety" stuff is pure bull****. They dont give a crap about "player safety" they care about fending off ambulance chasing lawyers.....AND money from big name offensive players staying on the field.

Mike Utley was paralyzed on the field. Yet the NFL didnt ban the technique that almost killed him. Oh....but make a tackle that puts Superstar WR out... or get near Bradys knee? BAN THE TECHNIQUES. Touch the precious offensive players in the helmet? Ban it.

Funny how they flag and eject defenders for lowering their heads for "safety" reasons....yet...when a running back does it its the exact same "safety" risk with the lowered crown, but its legal.

Nickels
March 11th, 2017, 04:51 PM
This "safety" stuff is pure bull****. They dont give a crap about "player safety" they care about fending off ambulance chasing lawyers.....AND money from big name offensive players staying on the field.

Mike Utley was paralyzed on the field. Yet the NFL didnt ban the technique that almost killed him. Oh....but make a tackle that puts Superstar WR out... or get near Bradys knee? BAN THE TECHNIQUES. Touch the precious offensive players in the helmet? Ban it.

Funny how they flag and eject defenders for lowering their heads for "safety" reasons....yet...when a running back does it its the exact same "safety" risk with the lowered crown, but its legal.

Well said. If it keeps headed this direction the game will be ruined.

Nickels
March 11th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Your posts.....xpeacex

Your post are so insightful. You're a great asset to this board. xcoffeex

citdog
March 12th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Your post are so insightful. You're a great asset to this board. xcoffeex

http://bbs.dailystormer.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/9/89da7dfc17c8118590729a1417f761c1647859ca.gif